Freeware Games Thread

Post freeware games, not pay2play or any other free MMO shit. Only free as in freedom.

Image: Unknown Horizons
unknown-horizons.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

freegamearchive.com/download-games/freeware/actions/phobia-iii/13844
dfworkshop.net/
twitter.com/gav_clayton
knightsprovince.com/
myabandonware.com
osgameclones.com
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
unrealworld.fi
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That….Looks comfy as fug

bump

Freeware or FOSS?
Freeware is used in the free beer sense, not FOSS.

Reminder that OpenMW is now in a better state than the original game's engine

good timing, user. Seems this version is indeed way better than the original.

So….it's anno?

damn

yep

I'm going to try this. It better be good, OP.

Finished the tutorial. It's pretty good. Reminds me of Pharaoh.

Looks like an Anno clone fam.

reminder that anything you'll ever need can be found in the share thread

bump

By that measure all games are free.

This was pretty fun at the time, not sure how it holds up.

TF2, Overwatch, League, DOTA 2, and Paladins are all free games! Try them out today; you don't need to pay a cent to enjoy the full game! :D

This is a top down shooter where you blast bugs to death, it's pretty hard and it might not work on the latest windows systems but it's very fun if you've got an older computer. It's like the great Starship Troopers game we never got.

freegamearchive.com/download-games/freeware/actions/phobia-iii/13844

That's not Terrranova.

I don't remember that game being much like Starship Troopers.

Vestaria Saga I is a game made by the creator of Fire Emblem in SRPG maker. I'm hoping that it'll get an english patch soon so I can actually play it.

It's a power armor simulator. It's basically the closest we ever got to Starship Troopers.

I gave it a shot a few days and and… Well, it was a huge "Ehhh, okay?" For me.
It could use a lot of gameplay improvements. Not once did I feel like I was in trouble with my resources, nor did I feel any excitement as I progressed.
I do have to compliment the AI though, it's pretty smart and knows how to spread reasonably.

Looks like an Anno, but has this "too high resolution textures that makes everything look weird" problem like using a 32 bpp graphics in openTTD.

Also by the way openTTD is a thing.

OpenTTD is fucking life

Gonna check the forums/update log when I get home, but did they finally start revamping/replacing candyland in the base release (I mean, not requiring newGRFs

would you say it is more a casual or a comfy gameplay?

Are there any must have mods for OpenTTD? I feel like I'm going to play it again real soon and I was wondering if there's some really good extra stuff to have.

great game, amazing vidya.

Oh, you mean the book.

It never hit the comfy spot for me, honestly. I never got to sit back and think "that's going on nicely, I'm such a good king", I constantly had to performs the most simple, basically-no-plan-required actions to keep up with the computer opponents.
I blame it partially on the teeny tiny maps, relatively heavy-producing buildings and very few resource types.

I haven't played in a while, but I don't recall any specific must-haves. Although after you get the hand of the best game, I highly recommend getting FIRS, or any other mod that's focused on expanding the production chains.

Even if you want a mostly vanilla game i would get Industrial Stations Renewal so you can build yourself nice looking stations using the tiles. Other things are optional IMO.

If you want to replace some things i would recommend Squid Ate FISH! for boats, it gives much more variety over the kinda boring vanilla ones, might be a bit OP though, and eGRVS for trucks for similar reasons, there is also THE planeset, but i don't remember the name. With trains it's worse since you don't want a railfag realism set that has ridiculously low speed limits on freight and billion of identical engines clogging the list unless you actually like it but not something dumb and OP like NUTS, but i can't give a good one off the top of my head.
Not that TTD was ever really a hard game but the sets are not really balanced against each other since they were made by different people and stuff so some things may be a bit OP compared to others if you care about that.

For industries there is openGFX industries that let you tweak some things and mix and match vanilla industries from different climates if you like and the big one is FIRS that has several sets of industries. It relies on more interconnected industry chains and delivering supplies to primary industries to boost their production rather than normal production changes, so not all like it.

Better how?

Less bugs than the Bethesda engine, and waaaaay more features.

R8 my autism

Barely registers on the autism radar m8.

I keep trying to pick this game up, and I can learn the controls pretty well.

And it's pretty based how large the map sizes can be AND STILL have an amazing netcode with 12 people playing.

I just have no idea how to make a profit. Maybe it's because all of the cities are just too small?

do you fags even /spreadsheet/?

I'm holding out for Daggerfall Unity myself

dfworkshop.net/
twitter.com/gav_clayton

I dunno, I never had too much trouble starting up with buses and mail then moving onto other industries that surround the towns, then stepping up to trains later into the game.

But I haven't played "Vanilla" OpenTTD in so long. I play with patch-packs Spring pack or JGR pack I'd recommend, you can find them on the OpenTTD forums under "development" section. Daylength is a definite requirement for me at this point. Also with dozens of newgrfs that warp the game from the original so much that I barely ever worry about profits. For me the fun of the game is building efficient train stations and watching towns grow. Also long trains are the most satisfying thing ever. Watching a 32+ tile train pull into a station and delivering 3 million+ worth of goods from the other side of the map sexually excites me.

Start by transporting valuable stuff like coal or diamonds. What you want to do is transport:
Obviously the amount of cargo determines the income, but the distance transported increases and time decreases the value of the cargo. So you need to find a balance. Transporting people and mail short distances with trains isn't worth it, but at longer distances (with fast trains) it can be very profitable. Once you get planes, transporting people between two cities far apart from each other prints money.

Knights Province is basically "Knights and Merchant" being redone in Unity. It looks pretty good, it's fairly well optimized and the creators seem to know what they are doing.

It's currently free, dunno how long it's gonna stay that way but I sure hope they get something done here.

knightsprovince.com/

Might seem so buggy that it's unplayable, but you can overcome the bugs, somehow

Meh, I'd rather play Violated Heroine. Better monsters than stink bugs everywhere.

myabandonware.com

osgameclones.com is also relevant.

i want to play this game with Holla Forums

Found this through this site; along with OpenMW and DaggerXL, looks like Arena's going to get some treatment and the project is still active.

Rather interestingly the dev's using a homebrew ray tracer rather than something more traditional. Very curious to see how an old game will come off with one of those strapped on to it.

well sure user, the code is open source, but the graphics and sound files and shit like that are still bethesdas

How different is Oolite from Elite? I have Oolite installed but I haven't even touched it since I don't know any bindings and don't have a flight stick.

It's a bit different. The core gameplay is there but there's a lot of new shit (like fuel injectors to make you Jumpdrive when in combat but with a hard H2 cost). Also you can buy new ships like in Frontier/FFE/ED. Also (quite simplistic) planetary landing with the right gear.

A fair amount of this can be adjusted since the game has a high modding potential with LUA support.

Oh and you can basically use the same control scheme that Elite Plus back in the day had, so KB control is great as well.

No loading screens.

Oh, wow, geez, I remember this. I'd been looking for this game for over a decade.

Excellent, thanks! I'll have to start it up one of these days. Been meaning to play.

I'm still waiting for OpenApoc. Last signs of life detected in May 2016….

Is there anywhere good to keep up with freeware releases? Holla Forums wiki has been reddit infested for years, most "gaming news" websites just shill fotm games, and places like gamejolt/itch.io are filled with meme shit to bait in e-celebs

Damn, I want that. Is there an English patch in the works or is it just a pipe-dream?

No idea. The game literally just came out late last month.

libregamewiki.org/Main_Page

bump

What. No Unreal World?

Now YOU can survive in the cold dark iron age finland!

unrealworld.fi

I remember that game

Original Anno the one with the knights and shit is way better than this shit

Dwarf Fortress.

Music kicks ass.

wait whats with the steam page then?

can you build Saunas in Unreal World?