17 years after the PC port was released, this is still the best driving game ever made, bar none. Yes...

17 years after the PC port was released, this is still the best driving game ever made, bar none. Yes, absolutely nothing comes close.

It was okay

HEY MAN WATCH THE PAINT

It was good but you clearly don't play that many car games if you think Driver is the best ever.

From that era alone:
are better in my opinion.

It was perfect in every way. The map design was well planned, the driving physics is great, sky high skill ceiling, AI that works well, and best graphics for 1999.

stiff suspension, rubberband AI, all around boring

arcadey handling, silly car design

These are all racing games, they're all incomparable and more boring than Driver tbh. No pathfinding, no stealth finding, no cool 90 degrees burnout turning, no slaloming the traffic to outrun the cops, no jumping on san francisco slopes, etc.

It's a fucking bait thread, I'm blind.

gt did not have rubberband AI most of the time playing it you are in first and the AI is like 10 seconds behind you just driving their race lines.

need for speed and midnight club on the other hand DO have rubberband ai where the AI will blow past you if you are going too fast

Racing games are never innovative, the only room for innovation is in making them more and more realistic (but not more fun), while Driver made an innovation in making an open world car chasing game with realistic physics.

Rubber band as in having a path that can't be obstructed by the players, not speedhack. They won't avoid your car like real world racecar drivers do. Or maybe I misunderstood the definition of rubberband AI.

yes you misunderstand what rubberband AI is.

in racing games if the devs can't code good AI they increase the cars speed until it catches up with you, if you are too far way.

on the other hand, cars will go slower if they are too far away from you so that you can catch up. "Like a rubberband ", the last game i played that did this was The Crew

Me and a friend used to spend hours with that replay editor making chase scenes. A shame the series took a nosedive so quickly.

You're way too stupid.

Driv3r lacked big budget, but the game is very stylistic and distinct. Parallel Lines and San Fran were really good.

Still I have a point. For a "simulator" the AI of Gran Turismo is poor.

It was fine if you're into taht kind of things.

Nice bait, OP. You're saying "arcade racing is baaaaad" yet not understanding what rubberbanding is. By the way, Midtown Madness is more fun, and thus we come to Midnight Club, Midtown Madness Ricer Edition. You know jack shit about car games, do you.

Rubberbanding punishes good driving and awards being bad at it.
The simplest strategy against it is to just stay second or third until the end of the race and then pass on the last turn.

BeamNG.drive is the best driving game tho.

I don't mind arcade racing, Driver itself is an arcade driving game, but the handling of Midtown Madness is atrocious. Driver gives a more enjoyable feedback and challenge.

I think it's more of a method to make the game easier rather than poor AI. Or maybe a workaround for poor AI.

I always called this "Mario Kart AI"

Until there's a game that can reenact this scene better than Driver, I consider Driver to be the best driving game.

Wasnt the first Driver just published by Ubisoft?

You dont need to look any further, everything Ubisoft did themselves is fucking garbage.

Havent you people noticed that incompetent studios like these that never did a single game that was above mediocre were the ones that gravitated to pander to this sjw cancer the hardest?

OutRunners and Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast are objectively better games

You don't need to know the name of the publisher. If it's made by Martin Edmonson and it's a driving game, it's guaranteed to be good. Driver PL and SF were published and developed by Ubi, and they're alright.

The cars stick to the road like they're electromagnetically levitated wagons from 23rd century, dude. If the cars don't handle like they do in vid related, don't even bother. Try playing Flatout 1, now that's a good handling.