Was this really as bad as it was claimed to be?

Was this really as bad as it was claimed to be?
Why can't we ever have good dinosaur games

Dino D-day is pretty fun. People still play it too.

I watched a playthrough of that on jewtube.

It's worse.

yeah its fucking terrible. Novel, but terrible. Realistic physics in games are best used as a novelty to make a low consequence or consequenceless section more flavorful.

I take it you never played Turok, nigger

kind of a mediocre game but turok 3 is great. Sadly has major performance issues.

I have
I just need more

played it, controls are total dogshit and i wonder why no one ever modded it to have a fixed gun position

that said, the game has some baller atmosphere, exploring abandoned sites with Attenborough monologues is pretty comfy

here's a guy remaking it, although it feels like abandonware like so many other mods

I recently tried it out for five seconds on N64 emulator. The controls don't work well with my joypad, though. N64 doesn't feel very good for FPS controls in general though. Can a veteran gud Turokfag enlighten me on the ups and downs of those games and whether it'd be worth trying to get used to the weird controls or downloading for PC if ports exist?

There's a PC port that got released this year
go pirate the gog version

1 is a pretty mediocre game with some weak level design and some decent bosses. I really like the bosses in it. 2 is a sprawling, massive game that kinda falls apart towards the end with sloppy level design. 3 (NOT RAGE WARS) was developed by ex-origin staff before iguana split off to become retro and make metroid prime and has more half-life style flowing level design with elaborate use of gadgets that obviously saw integration in metroid prime, inspired by their experience as system shock developers.

turok 3 however is plagued with technical issues, causing some severe framerate drops. A real shame, I can deal with 20, 15 fps at times, but this goes into single digit territory during action. This one was n64 exclusive and is the best game in the franchise.

Turok: Evolution is a pretty interesting game. I honestly remember it being darker and misty/foggy.

ps2 version is pretty bad. It's not a particularly good game, but if you're gonna play it give the Xbox one a try.

The version I played was for Gamecube, but I can't find any Gamecube videos.

playing the GC version on my broadcast monitor in 480p with yipper. Looks pretty terrible. Phone died as I started a first person stage (my save was unsurprisingly on one of those god awful flight levels.) and I only got one picture. I'll get a few more for you before I post them. It's not a good looking game, but the GC version is definitely middle of the road.

Tresspasser isn't a horrible game. It's glitchy, half done, and a bit short. But for something released in 1998 it's not a bad game.

The story was pretty good and the action due to the clunky controls was pretty good, especially when a tyrannosaurus is bearing down at you and all you have is a shitty little pistol.

I'll probably be called a contrarian, but I thought it was better than Half-Life.

there were far better games released before and after it. A game being old is not an excuse for a game being terrible. I think you need to reassess what worked in half-life and what worked in trespasser. Nothing really worked in trespasser, and it's a far worse game.

I thought the mechanics (counting rounds, throwing objects, etc.) were all pretty cool. It's a pretty unique game, and there's a reason people cared enough about it to mod it/re-add cut content/make fan updates so it works on modern PCs.

But I have a weakness for games with neat interaction systems like this so

It's one of the most technically revolutionary games ever made. The gunplay is extremely realistic and the physics, though glitchy, is still amazing. Enemies have physics based movement, which is complex and very rarely done even these days.

This game should absolutely get a remake. Shame the devs will be making gaylo forever.

It was something I still tried to play back when it released (it was buggy as fuck and constantly crashed) at the time I was immersed by the level of detail.
The controls are really awkward, the weird "latency" of dangling limbs around made it feel drunk when trying to do anything.
The AI seemed pretty stupid.
I was playing this on an ancient barely accelerated computer, probably was using the software rendered setting, load times were ridiculous.
Found the game to not have any direction so I'd try to collect useful weapons and hoard them somewhere "safe" in the map around crashing.

/thread
the game was rushed to hit the retail stores, and suffered horribly from it

Carnivore 2 was good.

The Lost World arcade game on Sega's Model 3 arcade hardware was a really fun light gun game with lots of cool Dino's… One of which was taken from Michael Chricton's novel, which was a nice touch.

Dino Crisis series, of course, even with the ridiculous third game.

Dinosaur Hunting for the OG Xbox is decent, but good luck finding a copy.

Radical Rex for the Sega CD? I'm running out of Dino games

If you were a normalfag-tier gamer at the time, yes.

If you could appreciate it for what it was, which was ridiculously ahead of it's time, even now, then it was interesting.

I played it from start to finish on a pentium 166, it didn't run well, but it was fun.

Part of what made it great was the fact that physics pretty much determined everything, make no mistake, the future of FPS games will rely on the groundwork Trespasser has started otherwise there will be no innovation in the future.

This will also preclude controllers being a viable control platform for physics-based weapon handling, which is something I've longed to see ever since this game had come out.