RIP Kenshi

Press F to pay respects.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/233860/discussions/5/343788552534217406/
imgur.com/a/62lHL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

F

In this industry you don't get a consolation prize or a golden star for effort.
You either make it, or you don't.
Even in order to make it as a simple indie developer you need a strong idea that you can actuall realize.
Even just to make a walking simulator you need to know the basics on what will attract people and make them play your game.

You either have the brain, the balls, the heart and/or the cunningness to actually make a video game and follow trough, or you disappear forever in the sea of mediocrity, bitching on Holla Forums about video games like all the other losers and nobodies.

well shit, I have the game and haven't played for years, what changed?

Wew I was actually checking it out again yesterday after someone mentioned it to me 4 years ago. People are still shilling for the game in the reviews. Had a good laugh.

No one else saw this coming?

what has been axed?

I'm passionate about my idea too, doesn't mean I have any fucking delusions it will ever become reality.

Not him but

steamcommunity.com/app/233860/discussions/5/343788552534217406/

and

imgur.com/a/62lHL

the game combat is almost always 5v1 or more in the enemy advantage, yet the skill "mass combat" will never be implemented and you will never be able to play the game right.

i hope that faggot goes barkrupt.

I'm more bummed out over the removal of faction warfare than anything else to be honest. I bought this under the assumption that it'd be something like Mount and Blade once faction stuff got underway, and there was no indication that this wouldn't be the case. And wouldn't you know it, they drop the one thing that would have made their setting interesting.

that fucking sucks

It managed to hold my attention for 80 hours for 20 bucks, I guess I can't complain. Don't think I can recommend it to anyone though.

it was enough for me to build prison camps at mass scale, force titty monster woman into slavery, I also made an arena, clearly not supported by the game but I just walled prisoners and would release animals from one of the shacks I built and watch them tear each other apart, it was a fun experience but it did feel like a dead fucking game, there is really nothing much aside from fucking with the elements of the game itself, the only fun I had was just observing people's limbs get fucked and reading the dialogue afterwards.

Serves him right.

the only feature that was promised and got axed is cybernetics, the rest was dumb shit steam kids kept screaming for on the steam forums like fist fighting.

the game doesnt even have fetch quests, OP hasn't played this.

I'm pretty sure they promised inter-faction warfare, and that too has been removed.

The new weapons and animals were promised from the beginning.
Did you play the old map? It was tiny as shit, barren and boring as shit, and had a shitload of pathing issues.

I'm happy for the animals and new map.
You're right about the faction warfare however I think mass combat is still coming as its only greyed out like stealth was when it was unimplemented.

That's deep, like the scars on my wrists!

I think game developers are all retards

They think too big and waste too much time with bullshit

When all they have to do is make sure the gameplay is the best and most original possible. After that you could make up any bullshit setting and story. If the gameplay is good you will be rewarded and can expand on your dream gay fantasy bullshit universe with all that publisher money for sequels.

Look at japshit crap like Dork Souls, they just made a bunch of maps and told you "go kill shit and get buff to kill more shit". But the focus on the gameplay when other games were getting away from it resonated with gamers so much that the autists even filled the blanks with their bullshit autistic theories. And now you have like,i dont know, 6 games?, of that shitty franchise that are the same game quickly rehashed while the devs expanded on their autist grimdark non sense universe.

That's the thing.
You can have a lot of passion, but if you're dumb enough to start with some huge dream project you are going to crash and burn.
People need to learn to work their way up.

Never axe off your features. Why couldn't they just start off the game with the features they had made, charge so much money a month, then use that money to make the rest of the features.

Agreed.

I read that as cunnilingus.

Just a reminder that there are all major alpha/beta versions available through the beta selector through steam. This is the only game that has its entire history of development available at all times at one menu's distance (three clicks of the mouse). I have respect for a developer that ships with a construction set and that many versions.

I have no respect for a dev who solely releases their game on steam.

No DaS after the first had an even close to coherent or comprehensible story. Bloodborne is the only game since DaS that has actually tried to have a meaningful background.

it was released through desura originally.

It's on GoG and humblegoy.

Man people who buy into EA get butt fucked so often, it's like a No Mans sky on a lesser level but every 3 months.

Was there even a kickstarter for this?

No it rose only 2000 on indiegogo

So it's never going to be playable? I bought this game years ago way before it ever even came to Steam Greenlight, and since then I have been checking like once every several months to see if the game is at all enjoyable yet. Still isn't.

Did he really get rid of a lot of planned features? Because that's exactly what this game has needed for a long, long time. The game is garbage because the guy clearly has no fucking clue what he wants this game to be. He's just been carelessly throwing his random ideas at it with absolutely zero regard for the overall structure of the game. The game has never felt like it had any direction or consistency. It just felt like a tech demo of a bunch of random shit thrown together. It still hasn't gone from feeling like a tech demo to feeling like a video game.

See

All people wanted is dual wielding.
He reaped what he sow.

Well to be fair dual wielding was never on the table.

Literally who wanted dual wielding? The first thing on his list of cut features was literally the most important and maybe even ONLY thing the game needed in order to be fun in any way.

Oh I just realized, with the removal of faction warfare, we probably won't be able to join the army of a faction and fight for them, huh?

Kill me, Pete.

How come some autists on Holla Forums idolize new vegas then ?

The answer is in your question.

This was like the one EA game I backed. I actually thought he could do it. My mistake.

Man, fuck. The final deal is going to be pretty damn generic, I guess.

Yeah and as I said earlier, there won't be M&B style faction wars either.

Everything else I could deal with but this killed it for me.

He was just another lazy conman who had a decent idea but stopped caring about the game once the money started rolling in. I'm not surprised he's taken it and run.

I bought the game very early on, only a couple of weeks after it first became available to purchase. I played it for a little while and it seemed to have some promise, but since it was so bare-bones there wasn't much I could do except wait for the next update. Inevitably this update contained completely negligible improvements along with more vague promises about how fantastic the final game would be. And so on, update after update. Eventually I stopped paying attention to the game entirely and more or less forgot about it.

Every once in a while, however, someone who had just discovered the game would post a thread about it on Holla Forums, and whenever I saw this I would boot it up to check out if any progress had been made, and then chime in to warn them that the present state of the game was pretty much identical to how it was a year/two years/three years ago. It was painfully obvious every time one of these threads appeared that the game had been completely stagnant since the last time someone had posted about it.

I'm glad to see someone has finally started a thread acknowledging that the game is dead, although unfortunately OP is displaying far too much sympathy towards its incompetent and dishonest developer.

Sounds like some weebshit, good riddance

I haven't really seen the dev as actively dishonest, just overly ambitious. I mean, the updates are still coming after all. They just won't feature the removed content. I'm still disappointed by it of course, but apparently the studio will be working on the game well past 1.0, so you never know.

Of course, I don't recommend buying it.

bump

factions already fight/enslave their enemies and have border disputes, but a warband style system was never announced.

the game's had continuous progress since i first played it in like 2011, i think he only hired his first employee in 2013 or 2014 though.

This is a marketing buzzword at this point.
It means nothing in the long run. If you couldn't achieve your goal you failed no matter how hardworking or passionate.

You guys didn't get the hint after seven years of nothing? Wew lads.

I only got into it like a year ago

It would have been better if it had been weebshit.

I think with modding and stuff you'd be able to swap models around and make new races and generally make everything more weeb.

Maybe you should have looked into its history first.

Well I mean I knew about the long development but until now everything was going slow but steady. It was only now that features have been removed. For the previous seven years there was no indication that they would be unable to complete the project. I just figured I'd have to wait a bit. Serves me right for being optimistic though.

Well that's the thing, I don't think he's realized how badly he fucked up. Like I can smell it on the wind, but the actual dev team isn't acting very concerned.

lolno

I thought it wasn't doing too bad till a couple of weeks ago really.

One more bump and then I let the thread die.

He hasn't lied about any of the features, or tried to conceal the fact that they were droppped. That puts him a few levels above Murray.

It will probably end up being alright for the price.

Murray literally outright lied about his game as well as deliberately misleading the gullible normalfags with exaggerated phrasing that did not in any way accurately represent what he was obviously making in reality. Kenshi dev is just incompetent.

I bought it years ago and didn't touch it ever since
what has changed?
do you still gave to fight 200 heavy armored lvl 100 bandits as a naked beggar with a metal pipe just to make a level?
is it still mandatory to create a settlement?
did they finally put fucking animals in game?
did the map get any bigger?

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

the only way to win dark souls, is to stop playing. huh that's pretty deep

Well its meant to be an open-ended sandbox with no clear win condition. Of course, it also lacks enough interesting things to do to hold your attention, so yeah. The october update is supposed to add more gameplay, so I think that'll be the deciding factor for me, as it would show whether they are capable of adding in-depth game mechanics in a competent manner.

You're talking about Kenshi right?

Whoops yeah, my bad.

i forgot this existed

its always sad a frustating when you dont have the tools/skills or time to build what you evision

Well, it's still not good for that. There's literally zero motivation to play the game. X3 is also an open-ended sandbox with no clear win condition (except completing the story line I guess but literally no one plays the story line nor gives a fuck about it so that doesn't count) but it has shiny big ass ships that motivate you to make money so you can afford them. Then along the way you find threats to your property like pirates, Xenon, and Khaak, so it motivates you to get more military ships to defend your shit, and more stations to fund your shit, etc. Kenshi has NOTHING to look forward to. You're just put into a boring world, and you instantly ask yourself "Okay, what now? What do I want to do? Are there any goals I would like to set for myself?" to which the answer is usually blank.

I suppose you're right. I said this earlier but the next update is apparently going to expand the smuggling and drug dealing mechanics, so I think that will be the moment of truth where we'll know if the devs are capable of adding in interesting new gameplay or if we're stuck with what we already have.