DUAL UNIVERSE

It got funded

Place your bets
1. "THE TECH DOESN'T EXIST!"
2. They get away like bandits.
3. Actually holding up their end of the deal.

There are enough space games coming out right now to chew on before it even launches in closed Beta. Despite their big dreams, their time-table does come across as realistic.

Literally what?

minecraft 2.0

Does that mean NuMaleSky was Minecraft 1.6?

NMS wasn't Minecraft at all.

I'm gonna go with 1 and 2

im betting on 1, 2 should be part of it too

Seriously I don't get it, these redditors can either fund the spess game that is nothing but trailers and talking points or they can fund the one whose technology already exists that they can use themselves right now for free. I guess this just means that shilling really works and that the space engine dude just doesn't do it.

I try to compensate by doing it for free every time someone brings up these crowdfunded meme games but I don't want to go to the popular places like reddit or halfchan where it'd actually accomplish something.

The correct answer would be
1- THE TECH DOES EXIST! but only partially so, we have a lot of things to fix yet :^)
2- They get away like bandits We start working on a new and awesome project, thank you everyone for your support

I can't believe people keep falling for this shit, I mean, like a month ago I still saw retards defending NMS, believing it was going to be great and all. Dual Universe looks a bit less like a scam, but they won't even come close to delivering and people will hype it up beyond belief.

Yeah, I'm very conflicted about all that. On one hand it may continue to linger as it is for the most part, on the other it could end up some monstrosity because of casual demands on the direction it takes in the future. At least it is what it is and can have some hope for its potential.

Wasn't this one of at least five "here's a massive open world with jack shit for content, you get to make your own fun silly :^)" games shown off in this year's E3?

More like "Use the Kikestarter funds as collateral for loans and deliver a minimum viable product".

gee, i ownder what will happen.

this guy has the right idea.

WHEN WILL THE NORMALFAGS LEARN?

Tech exist, leads and managers who can realisticly scope projects do not.
I mean fuck Breed did "survive the interceptors in high orbit, enter the athmosphere to drop troops on LZ and join them in the assault" missions in fucking 2004 wtih a budget of noodles and diet soda.

I didn't say it doesn't exist. I still don't think they can pull off everything they are promising. Network at that scale can get difficult to handle, same with physics.
The only bit of modern technology that seems promising is Outerra and that thing has a long way to go before it is ready to be used to make a new game on it.

Last time I tried to donate some dosh to SpaceEngine, I got redirected to some sketchy as fuck payment site. I know it was sketchy because it was Russian.
I know SpaceEngine dev is Russian himself, but I'm not letting his corrupt as fuck country be the go-between carrying my money to his pocket.

This is just Outerra/Anteworld all over again, isn't it? Another promising engine that will never be used for anything because the tech is either impossible to finish, or impractical to implement in game form.

Outerra's only claim to fame, to this day, is that it creates a 1:1 Planet Earth that you can fuck around on. It's comfy as fuck, but it's also almost entirely desolate. Impressive that it's 1:1, but if you have an entire fucking Earth and you don't do anything with it what's the fucking point?

even fucking bohemia have a planet rendering engine by now. its not exactly revolutionary.

but yea, its just too big to have any kind of traditional gameplay on it that makes much sense.

They had some plans for either a citybuilder or some other kind of RTS, which would make some sense, they just don't actually have the resources to make it, plus I imagine whatever military contracts they have are more important

Bohemia planetary engine is dogshit though, just like everything Bohemia does. They shove in the OSM data without much effort and the result is a glorified 3D google maps. It also handles different LOD really badly.

The main dev behind the engine wanted to pull off a Battlezone II kind of game. Really neat shit and it would benefit from the planetary scale.
It is also going to be really good for mil-sims ala ARMA.

The only cool idea I heard for Outerra was actually thought up in a halfchan thread years ago. It's a very simple game without much gameplay, basically playing off of the desolate wilderness environment provided by the engine, and of course its scale.

The premise is the same as what they originally pitched with Anteworld (and kind of a rip off of planet of the apes i guess): you were some kind of cosmonaut sent out on a mission to test the first FTL drive or somesuch, and when you get back, you find the Earth exactly as it was except all signs that humanity ever existed are completely erased. No battle damage, no ruined cities, no nuclear wasteland, just pristine wilderness.
You deorbit and use your remaining fuel to land, and then you try to figure out what the fuck happened. You pick up a couple of radio signals, very faint, no message just some beacon-like beeping in the static, and decide which one to try to locate. As you go, you'll find bits of things: a truck just sitting in the middle of the woods, a plane and a small chunk of runway in the middle of a field, the basement and foundation of a house minus the house, and so on - no damage, just isolated pieces of things few and far between and no seeming rhyme or reason. Anything you find that's intact still works, and so you can acquire vehicles to speed your travels, though you can't refuel them, and planes might be extremely tricky to take-off or land without runways.
The longer you're on the surface, the more you start to hear things in the distance - a snapping twig, a rustle of leaves. As darkness approaches, you'll start to catch glimpses of dark indistinct shapes off in the distance, hiding partially behind trees or rocks. You'll never see them move. Your first survival task is figuring out where you can safely camp each night without these things being able to get to you, and then making sure that you can reach such a location each night before the sun fully sets.

It's basically just an atmospheric spooky walking simulator, but it could be pretty immersive and creepy even if it was very lazily implemented. The atmosphere of Outerra wilderness at dusk is already creepy enough to sell it. It'd definitely have to be free, though, because there's not enough there to call it a "game" with a straight face.

Yeah:
…so they can run away with the money.
Recommended by Chris Roberts.
That's a scam.
That is a scam

I would imagine that they take out a loan and use the Kickstarter money as collateral.

Agreed, that is a thing to be salty about. On the other hand. How long has the community been shouting their request for optimization? Multi-core processing should've been in there before they even touched the idea of planets.

I guess that sums it up

Apparently, the sun orbits the planets.

It's a very christian game.

Inshallah

If the planets being that close doesn't actually effect gravity and planetary structure then no buy

They say that it's for demo purposes, but it's best to be wary. Do any games, besides Space Engineers I presume, have planets with different physics?

4. They half-ass it

Where do you make those images? I've seen two with different text.

Muslims also believe that? Must be an Abrahamic thing then.

It has to look cool, like the fancy sky boxes of Destiny. Retards love fancy looking shit.

You mean the program with no gameplay? Yeah I sure wanna spend my time doing that.

photofunia.com/effects/retro-wave

Thanks, user.

Mainly Muslims believe these days but the vast majority of flat-earthers seem to be Christian so most likely shared by all Abrahamics probably

Reported for intl.

Well, you're a dipshit.

What gameplay exists in Space Engine, bud?

Could you go back to wherever you came from, please?

I don't think those two anons were implying space engine has gameplay. I'd still argue that I much rather have no gameplay than NMS gameplay, that is at best some browser flash-game tier shit that adds nothing to the product. At least SE has good planets and a very neat looking space.

You continue to be a dipshit.

Reported for intl.

I'm genuinely scared, user.

I wanted to write "Expecting gameplay" instead of just "gameplay", my bad

The fuck is this?

neat

This has infinite potential, but since we can't have nice things it will probably never come out.

It's if EvE and space engineers had a super baby…. Or so it's advertised on the tin. Supposedly every space gamer's wet dream and more.

I checked their community forums, between the uncreative bunch planning to ape Star Wars and Star Trek factions and content there are a few gems. Corps who claim to already have hundreds of 'members'.

So this is the next Star Citizen?

Their terrain generation algorithm sure spits out some hideous garbage planets. Fucking christ on a cracker.

I feel like there are so many YOU CAN DO AAAAANYTHING space voxel games in the works right now that someone has to eventually get it right just by the infinite monkey theorem.

This implies that there's any sort of "right" to get.
It's a dead-end genre that has no goldilocks zone.

Potential for what exactly? It just looks like a shoddier Minecraft in space. Where's the innovation? Even NMS at least innovated a little. Where's the potential here?

Why does he look like strelok

Come with me, stalker, we need to innovate gaming. Yuo can do anything, брат.

The potential is in the stuff they've only talked about rather than shown, namely the economy stuff.

If you know SoH its that kind of potential. I hope you dont know it though.

Potential for autism and fun times, you shitter. Not every game needs to reinvent the wheel. Implementing what already exists in a competent manner would probably be already too much to ask.

nodudessky was starbound 0.4

Starbound 3D