What are some good horror games a kinda Crappy computer can play?

What are some good horror games a kinda Crappy computer can play?

It doesn't have to be survival horror or old/new, as long as it's atmospheric and good.

Bonus points if it's an old PC game like pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!R5cQkTBZ!RbssJxMGZZBUJF4xEbNJciZPUs9XlfaqcjahPhSo-Wc
mega.nz/#!dgdUTKgD!XdDj2nSsO-vL-ZPt1GGVoGN847O2O5C2Q5NwHvKsCqo
mega.nz/#!J0VTQLbK!jTxnR63llM2ZNjbC01mK4aMSrlEmhLmxfr083Bp8nIg
gog.com/game/sanitarium
gog.com/game/system_shock_2
store.steampowered.com/app/238210/
gog.com/game/spelunky
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You can't go wrong with Clocktower.

Shadows over Riva, Blood Omen, Quest for Glory 4 and Nomad Soul come to mind

Ib.

Witch's House.
Thief 1-3 and Dark Mod.
Cradle mission in T3 is especially good. Dark Mod has some spooky maps which usually appear around Halloween.

Darkseed 1 and 2.

Harvester

Doom 3 (not BFG Edition)

Sanitarium is *very* good for this Imo

What's wrong with the BFG edition?

see

BFG doesn't run on a crappy computer and looks like shit (while the 2004 game runs fine on Intel graphics and looks great).

It's dumbed down for consoles, has the mod support taken out, and is optimized as you would expect for a big-company (near-)[current year] game.

F.E.A.R.

it runs pretty good on anything and is relatively old by now. Avoid F.3.A.R

fear 3 wasn't any worse than fear 2

Realms of the Haunting might work out if your cumpooter can handle emulation well enough. It's one of the most Lovecraftian non-Lovecraft games I've played.

Oh, one thing. The controls are kind of fucked by default but there are guides. It's a real shame there's never been some sort of port of it.

FNaF

This nigger knows his shit. I'd say 2 has the least horror elements of the whole series though.

Sanitarium isn't horror. But it's a dark and spooky point and click/FMV adventure.

>implying waxworks (or elvira) are good

Clocktower
ImScared
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
F.E.A.R.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
Metro 2033
Demonophobia
Ao Oni
System Shock
System Shock 2
Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong Nou
Penumbra
Saya no Uta
Corpse Party
Eversion

These are a few in no particular order. A quick Google search of any of them should be enough to let you know if it's something you'd enjoy.
Emulation, of course, gives you access to any horror game from earlier generation consoles.
Then there are games that aren't horror games but have short horror genre shifts or horror elements (Undertale, Hotline Miami, Half-Life) but those are so common that I won't try and list them.

Horror games aren't scary.

Witch's House
Misao
Ib
Ao Oni
etc

Is the original System Shock still worth playing? I haven't heard much about it, just its sequel.

It absolutely is, though the gameplay and controls will feel archaic nowadays.
Look for System Shock Enhanced, which is a modern rerelease of the game that includes some additional features. Do keep in mind you might be spending up to half an hour in the very first room just trying to get a grasp on the controls, however.

As for the quality of the game itself, there are constant arguments over whether System Shock or System Shock 2 was the better game. Most arguments in the end boil down to System Shock being the better game overall, while System Shock 2 is just so much more accessible.

Personally, I'd suggest playing System Shock 2 first because I can imagine a lot of players getting so frustrated with System Shock 1 in the first hour or two that they quit and never give SS2 a fair shake.

and

Master level horror.

That is Doom 3 for you

Sanitarium:
mega.nz/#!R5cQkTBZ!RbssJxMGZZBUJF4xEbNJciZPUs9XlfaqcjahPhSo-Wc

System Shock 2:
mega.nz/#!dgdUTKgD!XdDj2nSsO-vL-ZPt1GGVoGN847O2O5C2Q5NwHvKsCqo

Bonus:
Spelunky it has spooky skellingtons so it counts as horror
mega.nz/#!J0VTQLbK!jTxnR63llM2ZNjbC01mK4aMSrlEmhLmxfr083Bp8nIg

All games are from GOG and newest version.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
The Legacy: Realm of Terror perhaps? It wasn't very scary.

Two The Suffering titles as well?

gog.com/game/sanitarium

gog.com/game/system_shock_2
store.steampowered.com/app/238210/ (for linux version)

gog.com/game/spelunky

FEAR 3 threw atmosphere right out the window, it's an entirely different beast then FEAR 1 and 2. Gameplay is good and it's fun to play but that wasn't remotely what I was expecting or wanting out of FEAR. The cover alone is a huge red flag, with that adult face on Alma and giving you a sultry stare while the two brothers forms a mask.

Ah, I did forget about Call of Cthulhu.
That's a great game when it's working properly though I feel like the horror elements get greatly subdued past the halfway point.

Never played The Legacy: Realm of Terror myself so I withhold any comments.

The sequel was neat on its own but fairly disappointing in comparison to the original.

What the fuck does this even mean?

Feminist utopia on the internet.

I don't think you quite understand how retarded some of these people are

So censorship, begging for money, and the illegalization of insults?

Of course. Now all the whiny shits will be useless and boring somewhere else

You nigger, Waxworks is still good.
The puzzles are well thought out and the music/sfx design still holds up today, the combat is garbage, I'll give you that much. but Waxworks is FAR from shit.

You nigger

I played one of Yahtzee's games The consuming shadows a while ago, it's worth a look, I don't think it's worth 10 dollars but if you can find a torrent or a link to an older version then give it a go.

I'm playing that now, the idea that people would jerk off to it is creepier then the game itself tbh.

Waxworks was inferior to adventure games of its time and remains mediocre to this day.

Having said that, it definitely does do certain things very well:

However, the game suffers from more problems than its pros can possibly hope to outweigh. Combat is a frustrating chore that not only shatters the otherwise great pacing of the game, but can cause the player to miss out of context-sensitive clues, or outright forget what they were supposed to be doing. Environmental hazards can kill the player seemingly at random with them having no idea what even killed them until they see the death scene, at which point they may be struggling to even figure out what they were meant to do in order to avoid death. The game simultaneously rewards and punishes player exploration and experimentation which can be very frustrating in areas where examining objects will either give you important keys or kill you seemingly at random.

It was a victim of the trend of adventure games with combat thrown in, almost as an afterthought. It's easy to tell just from playing the game that the developers did not want a typical combat system implemented into the game, making one of the most integral parts of the game feel like a chore that's meant to do nothing more than put the player on a timer so they can't freely explore levels at their own pace before being eventually losing a war of attrition with infinitely spawning yet mind-numbingly easy enemies.

The one where she inhales that cloud of gas, falls asleep, and wakes up tied up and helpless.
That one gave me a boner, even after she got ripped open.

Does somebody have the Odd vidya chart someone made for the Weird old videogames threads?

I didn't play that game with the intention of fapping to it, I swear

There are no great horror games. But there are many great games with horror elements.
Like Thief
Or FEAR

Bump

Pic related is for the upcoming remake, but oh well~

Is there a fan-made thing of some kind out there instead? Something to make it more tolerable on hueg modern monitors, at least? The torrent of "remasters" and "enhanced editions" of late made me extremely distrusting towards those.

Pirate the Enhanced Edition, its identical to the base game except with higher res support and mouselook support.

Just play the port of the original instead. You have every right to distrust the enhanced edition, and the remake that's coming out is completely different from the original game.

The PC versions of SH2 and 3 are shit though, toasters can't handle them, visual artifacts, no gamepad support etc.

The Enhanced Edition has no differences besides resolution and mouselook. Fucking listen to me you idiots.

Yes they can, I beat the first 4 SH in a PC with an Athlon XP 1.7Ghz and 512Mb of RAM and the only one that had a little trouble was 4

Also, these games run well on any piece of shit and are pretty good, and you could emulate PSX horror games too.

I never intended to give money to vultures who have absolutely no relation to the game's developers.

Just that? Surprising. Every other modern re-release I've encountered added a lot of things that made the game worse. I should check it out then.

Port? To what?

user, that's not a fucking toaster.

The PC version of SH3 is fucking great, what are you talking about

What the fuck are YOU talking about?

u fuckin wot m8. What qualifies as a toaster to you?

That PC is leagues better than what he posted. Are you high.

Dude I had that Pc since 2002 or so. how's that not a toaster?

Maybe OP should give system specs

All those are false. What the fuck did you do? You can make it 1920x1080 while expanding the fov so it doesn't look stretched, the textures really shine there because you can tell they were downscaled for the ps2 version, it looks amazing. I didn't notice anything wrong with the fog either, maybe a problem on your end. I'd boot it up on my PC now to show you but I won't be back home till monday

This

No it doesn't. Looks better than in PS2 with the right settings

Nigger what? Animations are locked at 30fps but you can even unlock that

check vid related from minute eleven

Yes they can, I got my xbox 360 controller working perfectly without any external software like xpadder, you can rebound the keyboard too

They're resonsible for a lot of games releasing DRM free so I like to support them in that way. Got Terraria for less than 5 quid. I figured I could either buy a shitty take-away burger or get a game I know I'd like to support.

Shut the fuck up.

TPB is responsible for much more.

What the fuck.

Dark Seed is still one of the best horror games of all time if you are into that style of gameplay

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. It's not too horror, but its a little bit "pychological horror" in the sense of how you kind of react to the situations and death scenes in the game (Though considering that this is Holla Forums and there's degens running about, I'd believe it would be "comedy' to them.)

It works well in fullscreen for me.
Maybe you're just retarded.

something like this I think

I'd recommend Pathologic Classic HD version, really dark psychological horror. Someone already posted artwork for the remake version here but do beware it is heavily story focused and lots of reading in it in order to process what's going on. The graphics aren't superb but aren't terrible either and the atmosphere and tone of the game make them add on to the horror too.

Recently started playing this. Fucking great atmosphere and feeling.

Still four times the RAM of the original example.

And be prepared to walk, a lot, like walking more than in Gone Home, everytime you have to do something, over and over again, that shit is what made me uninstall it, it's a shame that the gameplay is so lacking.

I didn't mind the walking but it is understandable how some people didn't like it. To each his own I guess.

Is this the one near abandoned train station? I couldn't get past the boiler in the attic, otherwise it was decent.

GOOOOORIIISTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

Love the atmosphere and setting in this game.

yeah, that's the one. There's two other games as well.

Is there some reason why globalist women in particular never look human?