Factorio: Fuckloads of Circuits Edition

Just finished beating the game again for only the second time. Finally feels like I'm getting into some decent competence at planning stuff and not filling my factory completely with spaghetti-belts. Only took an hour to complete the Rocket Defense this time, compared to several last time. Might have something to do with the fact that this factory was triple the size of the last one.

So tell me, guys. How many assemblers do YOU have for red circuits?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/xcYxk
wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Liquids/Pipe_physics
factorio.com/blog/post/fff-159
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

premium lad, I like making little cells, have an example

I have 0 red circuit assemblers because I'm not playing vanilla. I couldn't tell you how many I have though, Bob's+Angel's has twisted my mind into a pretzel. I can't get out of bed for any recipe with a requirements tree less than three deep.

Does Holla Forums still have a server up?

Haven't been following the progress on this in months now.

What's new? Have they gotten any closer to making a real proper game out of it yet? By which I mean an actual game structure with rules and goals–an acceptable campaign full of smartly designed levels for one. As opposed to a set of tools to fuck around with like Minecraft.

Of course they haven't. They probably never will. There's no demand.

More concrete!

I've been toying with the idea of going with a distributed factory design instead of a Main Bus, but it's difficult before you get enough resources to start running trains all over the place. I also still kinda suck at signals.

Refinery complexes are my favorite part of the game~

There's only a major update about once a year, so if it hasn't been that long there's nothing new. Latest thing they did was overhaul the UI for dealing with trains and add a bunch of stop conditions (instead of just time waiting you can have it go when inventory is full/empty, when it has a certain number of items, circuit conditions, etc.; you can even stack multiple conditions [for example my oil train has three conditions: inventory empty of crude oil barrels, waiting at least 30 seconds so it gets some empty barrels back, and only if there is less than 2K crude oil in storage to minimize wasted energy when the factory is idle]) This makes it easier, and a lot more fun, to manage a system of dozens of trains. There's also new flamethrowers and flamethrower turrets that are deliciously effective at biter-murder, stack inserters that can load/unload many items in a single turn, and probably a lot of other stuff I've forgotten. Oh, and some achievements that are okay, I guess.

As for the game itself? Eh, I never played the campaign much so I can speak of it, the terrain generation still SUCKS ASS, but the Rocket Defense is a clear end-goal, just a pretty easy one if you've played through a few times. Most of the game is about your own personal goals and restrictions and aesthetic style.

If you have to devise your own game out of something then the base product isn't a game.

This game is great on a laptop too.

or a very weak game*

This is from an old map of mine, you want me to boot up one of my newer abominations? I want the ability to further build in the gritty future aesthetic the game has with towering steel factory housings. I think it would be really cool to have enterable buildings where you don't have to run electricity or lighting but costs quite a bit of steel and concrete.

Alright, got some pictures. Guys from another general helped me with construction of the giant defenses and clearing ground. Unlike you, I love seeing conveyor belts going everywhere moving things

I've never finished because I always end up finding something I can do better and restart because I don't feel like digging up 500 things to fit my improved layout in.

time to start another game!

I once tried to build a factory that was like a main bus, except literally everything that was placed on a belt looped back onto itself in an infinitely spinning conveyor of hundreds of items whizzing by in nonstop motion around and under each other, with no branches that just end. I could never get it to function beyond about the Blue Science stage (to say nothing of processors and modules) as by then I'd end up with a spaghetti mess and lots of wasted items on belts, but I might give it a shot again someday.

Interesting. I always just cover the whole deposit but space the miners out so as to not waste them.

I mine the outside because without multiple people its really annoying to take the later alien outposts down, I try to use everything as efficiently as possible, I learned pretty quickly in the older map I posted that a lot of resources can disappear into chests and the storage system if you aren't careful

oh and you lose the material below a conveyor belt when you place it, with the new world gen that means losing tens of thousands of ore bits with even the most minimal of conveyor belt placement

…I am positive that that is not true with the current version. I've placed conveyor belts and then changed my mind and moved them somewhere else, and the ore does not disappear right away. The miners even appear to mine ore that is under adjacent belts as it's inside their mining radius.

Okay… fuck these guys. I remember the damn thread on the forum ages ago when they said it wasn't going anyway. Lying sellout traitors.

Too bad those are gone now. That was some autism.
My best bit of autism is pic related: as compact as possible all input oil converted into petroleum.
Also, reminder that running your power stations off solid fuel is the most efficient way to get free, limitless energy.

Maybe I've missed some stuff since the last few updates, I'm getting to the point where my current Iron plate smeltery isn't nearly enough and its gonna take a while to rebuild this monster and make it work well

Solid fuel is too easy. It's on my list of things to never use, like logistics bots for anything other than supplying me, or solar panels for anything other than outposts. (I've not yet reached the autism levels required to also forbid the use of laser turrets in favor of Maximum Dakka.) This is the STEAM age; we use coal and boilers and steam engines and lots of 'em!

Also, you can't convert all your crude into petrol. gas because you need some heavy oil for lubricant.

It's better to make your walls with 45-degree angles instead of 90-degree because of pic related.

Yeah, I know I just hate the look. Its also a pain to build. Whenever I get some time (hah) I'll try to get my various systems updated, much of my factory really needs reworking, to the point where I'll probably just end up tearing out my western wall and building a whole new system. I can't stand leaving open space for some reason. I would rather blow piles of metal into stupid solar panels than leave open ground in the awkward rear corner of my base that inevitably ends up near the water

It's a bit of a pain until you get blueprints and construction robots, true, but I actually LIKE how it looks. Make it seems more like a fortress when the walls are tightly angled, at least imo.

I hate remaking my factory, though. If I can get away with it I only do it once in the beginning at the Green Science to Blue Science transition when I upscale everything.

…at least until I get robots, when taking apart a factory is a matter of click-and-drag!

Now that I have everything researched science doesn't really matter, I'm just going for a rocket silo machine gun, I suppose I could build a little offshoot in case the devs update it and I need to crank out some little technology. Whenever Fluid Trains get added I'm gonna have some fun replacing my old barrel systems.

Given those quads, I can only guess you're either going for five rockets per hour. I don't think I've yet made a factory that could sustain more than two per hour, and probably not more than four rockets total depending on resource collection sites like oil wells and ore patches.

From the wiki:

Most likely you'd be depleting an entire medium iron patch and two medium copper patches with every rocket. A depleted oil well (0.1/sec) with lvl3 speed modules and maximum beacons can be raised to 0.5/sec each. Since you'd need 2777.78/sec to sustain five rockets per hour, you'd need an absurd ~5556 depleted oil wells all running at once to do this.

Unless you've got infinite resources, in which case your only issue is throughput, a "rocket silo machine gun" seems practically impossible.

The only thing I care about is creating a factory that can craft everything, and do it reasonably fast.

fug, guess I'll get the GoG version.

Do oil wells produce enough for it to be worth sperging out over refineries? Every time I build more than 2 refineries in one place the oil production is holding it all back.

I played this, and my end result, when I "beat the game" by making a complex that produced everything, was just as sloppy looking as yours.
I despise wasted space, and I can't stand when things grow larger than they need to be.

On that note I ask: has anyone made the Magnasanti of Factorio? I want to see beautiful, perfect, all-encompassing autism.

If you want the ultimate in autism, there's this build someone made for one minute rocket defense before the update made it about launching satellites

imgur.com/a/xcYxk

inb4

At that scale people just console in big ore fields. I think it's actually impossible to expand fast enough at that stage.

It's a thing of beauty. Thanks, user.
But how'd he make all of that in one minute? :^)

Well, with the normal mapgen settings you can end up with "patches" of a couple dozen or more oil wells in once place at some distance from your base. You'll have to use trains to bring in the barrels of crude, but yeah, get enough wells going and there is more than enough reason to have a large refinery complex.

You don't need trains, really. A long pipeline of underground pipes will do fine. Just put a pump at the end of the pipeline and then feed it into your oil reservoir.

Haven't played this in a while, lost all my saves becase new computer aswell.

Multiplayer is great now. You can get hundreds of people

That is entirely false, the best wells are in buttfuck nowhere and always will be. Running rail is also much much cheaper as long as you have a tolerable steel foundry.

What simcity is that because it looks ominously like the DS version of Creator

I don't want to kill aliums. I don't want a huge dirty factory. I want efficiency, low pollution, a way to get artifacts without killing spawners, a way to decrease aggro range, and the ability to plant trees.

Somehow, I can't imagine hundreds of people being able to work together, unless you have a god-tier autist who basicly emporor's the server and delegates groups to make outposts while he builds the autism base to build all autism bases in the middle

That said, is there a server with you faggots on it?

get out commie scum, I bet you would be a Jacobin rebel in Victoria 2

you can use bots to deconstruct things in a large area and they will put it all in storage. You can even save the layout before hand, to put all the stuff back where it was in case your new idea isn't as good.

tfw your internet is too shit to play online

Running rail is a constant cost associated with a ton of setup and overhead as well as electricity draw thanks to the various inserters and factories facilitating this put oil in barrel put barrel in train take barrel out of train take oil out of barrel make-work loop.

Putting down a pipe just costs you some iron. You know, that shit you have enormous supplies of?

straight rail raw cost per tile
3 iron
0.5 stone

pipe raw cost per tile
1 iron

Depending on how many pumps you need, and how often you need them, it can be cheaper in material cost just for the run,
too.

I don't usually make it to bots :(

disregard the first bit, rails craft 2 at a time so it's a bit cheaper than I thought.

additionally, the throughput you can have with a train is significantly higher, which is essential on long lines where you will also be moving tens of thousands of units of oil. Plus with trains you can just add on a couple more cars and get some easy ores while you're at it.

How much oil do you consume per second?

please tell me I don't need this many pumps to finish the game.

Just imagine a server with hundred anons

Flamethrowers.
Flamethrowers everywhere.

If you really want to get serious into production, it will take substantial quantities of oil, placing pipes is gay and takes pumps every while and trains are more efficient anyways. If you aren't drowning in electricity I don't know what to say.

PURGE THE XENOS

This becomes a whole lot more practical when you add productivity 3 modules whenever possible. It probably takes a third of the raw resources if you really want to make a shit load of tier 3 prod.

wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Liquids/Pipe_physics
Once you get a bit of a distance away it becomes impossible to get enough fluid bandwidth to do anything substantial with your oil. Also the most common use of rails, at least in my games, is to ship iron and copper. The oil is a bonus.

Do you bilbos tend to play with monster attacks on? I think the combat is garbage and having some sneaky biters sneak in and eat your conveyor belts is horse shit. I just want to build an autism factory.

NEW DEV BLOG POST
Reworking research, Infinite research and OFFICIAL PVP MODE!

And a look at the new liquid wagon
factorio.com/blog/post/fff-159

Time for a comfy afternoon.

If the videos I've seen give any indication, you'd HAVE TO ban grenades if you want anything to stay up longer than 4 seconds.

They give a sense of necessity to build stuff IMO. Plus without them, it's too easy.

On the other hand, the monster base generation is pretty shit. Either you have weak bases that you can solo with a shotgun and nothing else, or then the entire map is covered in red. There should be a way to make the bases very sparse, but large in size.

wouldn't a row of laser turrets just obliterate any player?

Here's hoping that military science pack will be used for a new combat vehicle. One that can survive longer than 0.5 seconds in endgame.

I am replaying it right now, and it seems like I always follow the same procedure when making my factories.
1) get a working factory online to produce red and green science packs at a resoable rate
2) produce so many red and green science pakcs, that you can easily research every red and green science untill you NEED blue to continue
3) demolish and completely reruild factory to accomodate blue science packs
4) produce so much blue that you can research all blue techs
5) research all blues
6) go on culling explorations and loot alien artifactss
7) produce purple and research purple science until there is no science left to be done
8) stop research pack production alltogether, demolish old factory for a second time, and build a satellite shitter

Install some mods

I find it a lot more enjoyable to build a factory that can scale and then continue to scale it (mistakes and all) until I'm done with the game. The only time I nuke and rebuild from scartch is when transitioning from burner miners/inserters to electrically run stuff. Even my smelting lines are designed so I can remove the coal belts and plop the electric furnaces into the empty space.

Oh, and if you aren't getting frequent attacks by biters (thus necessitating going out and killing bases often just to keep your walls safe) by the time you finish red-only science, your biter settings aren't difficult enough or your starting area is too big. Half the challenge of the game is keeping those little fuckers from eating you and your factory. The first thing I always research is gun turrets, because I usually get attacked the first time before I can even get walls up, as it should be.

The latest update helped a lot with this because the biters are a lot more aggressive. I'm considering making new rail lines in my next base be surrounded by walls and sparse turrets, because those biters will drop a colony a few squares off a rail line. Oh, but they don't attack the rails or trains right away; oh no, those crafty bastards WAIT FOR YOU! They wait until you hop on a train yourself and pass by, before unleashing Hell, eating the train and everything on it and then tearing up nearby tracks or power poles as you run for your life. They don't mind the trains; they just want your flesh.

I used to hate biters, you know. In my first few playthroughs when I thought I would just make a perfect autismfactory, but that was too easy and too boring. Fighting for every tile of land, biding your time while turtling in place for the next military tech to research,heading out there and showing them what for, retreating when "what do you MEAN they come in BIGGER sizes than BIG?!"… these things give your factory purpose and so also your own struggles.

I like to think it's not just oil that I am refining, but the ancient blood and bodies and ancient biters. That some poor sap like me, millions of years ago, slaughtered biters like a thousand hoards from the black abyss, but fell short in the end from his goal of planetary domination. His gift to me, now the very essence of the planet, provides me the power to fuel my warmachine.

fuck off casual

I know exactly what a sandbox is, I happen to be quite good at several. If you don't have a set of rules and a goal to test the player's skill however then you simply don't have a game. It's the difference between a basketball and a game of basketball.

can't put efficiency modules into steel furnaces.

can't get a boner from glorious directly coal fired apocolypse from electric furnaces

But Factorio has both those things…

So what are you bitching about again?

Yes it has them, but they're rather weak. I'd really like them to be better. A meaty campaign with some nice level design is a good substitute should they never manage to bring the kind of variety free play mode needs.

Which electric furnaces require to even be able to beat steel furnace power and pollution efficiency.

What if Factorio had an option for… randomized recipes? Obviously need to ensure everything is possible, but imagine having inserters, belts, etc take slightly different mixes and quantities of reagants each game.

Maybe make multiple focuses for intermediates and choose randomly? One game you have your usual stuff, another game circuit boards are easy but you have to go through hell to make an inserter because there are eighteen different types of gears and motors.

Now I need to play OpenTTD. Are there any really good mods?

That means actually incorporating stone and lubricant into my factory instead of making those things in small side factories.

That's what my refusal to use solar panels and instead having hundreds of steam engines is for. And what do electric furnaces do? INCREASE the number of steam generators! Now, if they made furnaces that were OIL fired instead of coal, it might change my mind.

With the new liquid tankers, you can just have lubricant and stone brought into your main factory by rail.

I am SO looking forward to building a giant refinery complex somewhere outside my main base, have all the oil fractions carted back to the main base, and also have all my steam generators there to concentrate pollution to draw in all the biters, which of course will be taken care of by the IMPENETRABLE WALL OF FLAMETHROWER TURRETS!

NUTS is just about the only meaty train set geared specifically towards gameplay instead of realismfaggotry. CHIPS Station Set is another good one that expands gameplay somewhat by making it externally visible how much material a station has waiting to be picked up so you don't need to constantly click on it and check the window.

The mars mod is cool
has a totally different resource tree and is a nice change of everything

Are you counting the mining and logistics of coal/oil for steel furnaces in that?

take it to the next level

Is it possible to download mods for the latest Factorio website without having a account for it or something?

t. Pirate man

Yeah a lot of mods are just on github.

Alright thanks, the search engine gave me some result for that.

Searching on Github for "Factorio Mod" seems to do the same, is this currently the best way to do it?

I usually look for mods on the modding site, then go to the forum thread. There will usually be a download there. Otherwise try searching "mod name github". Currently I'm just playing a modpack though.

What do you mean?

An electric furnace actually uses twice as much energy as a steel furnace due to the 1/2 energy conversion factor for heating boilers. This means that you need enough efficiency modules to cut 50% of power consumption before an electric furnace can compete energy-wise.

Electric furnaces powered by boilers also produce more pollution overall than steel furnaces (~3.6692 pollution vs. 3.6 pollution from steel furnace). 10% energy reduction is enough to make sum of boiler and electric furnace pollution less than steel furnace's.

Steel furnace: 3.6 pollution at 180 kW

1 boiler at full output produces 6 pollution at 390 kW…

Electric Furnace: 180 kW furnace/390 kW boiler * 6 pollution at boiler + 0.9 pollution furnace base = 3.669 pollution at 360 kW

Another thing to consider is that pollution is more concentrated at boilers with electric furnaces than steel furnaces.

So basically you need either two efficiency modules or power by solar panels to make electric furnaces better than steel furnaces, energy- and pollution-wise at least.

dafuq am I looking at?

Ok, thanks lad.

I always though that steel furnaces were OP by having the same crafting speed as electric furnaces. They should either change them to be 1.5 speed instead of 2, or raise Eectric ones to 3.

Of course, you can put in speed modules and do that, but it still should have a higher BASE crafting speed than the steel furnaces. You see that with the base speed of assemblers, so why not furnaces? Combined with the larger size, it really doesn't make sense to automatically upgrade unless you're running out of fuel and switching to a 100% solar network.

Perhaps Electric Furnaces were always supposed to be a sidegrade, not an upgrade.
The bigger size is an indicator aswell, you can just change a stone setup to steel, hell even replace the furnaces without needing to dismantle, but not to electric.

It almost feels as if the devs intended for the player to naturally transition from coal-powered-everything to "clean energy" in the mid game to reduce biter attacks, but it just doesn't work out that way.

Also, when are we going to get goddamn diesel fuel for the diesel locomotives?

I disagree, I quite like the gameplay tradeoffs between steel and electric furnaces and I really wish they existed in other areas.

They don't even have a engine fuel related support at all, so that's why you can do odd things such as loading wood for fuel on a car despite it is impossible to do so as the fuel tank section (or however it is named correctly) is made for liquid based fuel only.

It would have been pretty interesting if you could make differing engines for the locomotives. Basic one is a steam engine and burns wood or coal, and is both very polluting and also slow. A diesel engine (can also burn solid fuel I guess) is cleaner and has a higher top speed, but is more expensive to produce. Maybe also a high-tech fusion reactor system that's expensive as all fuck but zips around at ridiculous speeds pulling as many cars as you want.

I'm reminded of the early stages of Starbound, before they implemented fissionable and exotic ores, when your awesome FTL spaceship could be fueled with wood or coal. Here I am making a factory that produces computer processors and laser turrets and rocket fuel, running around in a goddamn Iron Man Suit, and yet my trains are stuck in the year 1890.

Yeah that would be great if they allow some additional customization, I mean they already have a basic one for machines and a bit more expanded for the armor.

Fuck making scifi shit, I wanna see the rustic look get expanded on, devs need to add goddamn artillery pieces and turret train cars. Add barbed wire and make building defenses actually cool and aesthetic rather than just spamming Turrets behind a stone wall. Also, expand ore processing in a way that allows for increased ore to plate without being cheap, like an ore washing plant that requires inhuman amounts of water and puts out some serious pollution (obviously due to heavy metal leakage)

I wanna see goddamn ships too, but the important stuff needs to get done first before I sail around in the HMS Invincible, turning biter shitholes into glorious civilized colonies.

Try and tell me that this shit wouldn't be cool as fuck.

An element that actually DRAINED lakes of water with usage over time would be pretty neat. Would make your environmental impact pretty obvious, and would provide an additional challenge as you can't just suck water out of a 4x4 puddle for eternity. Also, if you reduce the size of the lake you have to take into consideration that you can't use it as a free defensive wall.

Fuck mods.

Angel's refining has ore processing that is similar to what you want. It's not quite perfect for me, ideally it would be trickier in a few key ways, but it's pretty complicated.

That plus the ability to recycle water from steam engines would be pretty cool as long as it took some effort

accidentally found bob's mod while looking at that and got PTSD

whatcha mean?

whats up with these parts? They don't look quite right. Are they supposed to be a wallpaper?

just some backgrounds.. i can see some factorio inspiration in it though

I think we'd need a terrain generator that made continents instead of just noise in order for that to be interesting.

is there any way to go over water?

Why not go the whole way?
Add springs, rivers, lakes, oceans.
You can make a base on an ocean for infinite water, but with lakes you can only take so much untill it drains.

Also I'd love buildings that create wood and alien artifacts