LORE THREAD

I have a challenge for you Holla Forums: show me lore that's deeper than Dark Souls.

Hard Mode: Can't be Mario related

Insanity Mode: No 40K

Other urls found in this thread:

4chan.org/
forwarduntodawn.com/article-vault/
forwarduntodawn.com/article-vault/deep-catalog/
halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_scalecomparison/1280h.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kirby lore > Mario lore > Dark Souls Lore > 40k lore

But ds lore is shit.
And so is tes lore.

Must suck having your home raided with Pay2Post

Imagine being such a mouthbreather that you genuinely think dark souls lore is deep.

RPG FAGGOTS STARTED THIS LORE SHIT

WHO ELSE COULD BE AS CASUAL AND CANCEROUS AS RPG FAGGOTS

THEY ARE LIKE THE HOMOSEXUALS OF GAMING SPREADING THEIR AIDS EVERYWHERE THEY CAN

Not comparing.
Stating the fact that both are shit.

No, dsfags and tesfags.

It's not deep it's pop-culture references mixed with edge and the occasional /tg/ meme.

morrowind?

no?

i disagree with you

Ivalice games. FFT, Vagrant Story, FF12.

Tales of Phantasia deserves special mention for setting up Sylverant and Tethe'alla in a Super Nintendo game so they could be used as major plot pieces in a Gamecube game. The screenshot is from the Game Boy Advance port because it's all I can find, but the dialogue was actually there in the original (though DeJap translated it as "Tesseara" and "Sylveranto").

2 words; your wrong

my wrong what?

Everything

go on…

Designated shitposting thread.

The only deep thing about tes is how shit it is.

Wild ARMS lore best lore because it all makes absolutely perfect sense and does not contradict itself at all.

but muh chim and shit

Some of those aren't smug at all. What a sham.

Why do nintendo autists insist that nintendo gives a flying fuck about the lore?

You're mad because nobody here wants to discuss the shit lore of TES

Besides a few political elements between Skyrim, Empire, Talmor and Shitskins, TES is complete crap.
Even DA:O is more interesting.

HEH

Why does this always happen? It's like how Black Isle took Forgotten Realms and turned it into something great with the IE games.

Legend of Heroes
Ys
Everything Falcom makes

Kaworu has CHIM

You didn't say it couldn't be DK related.

Obviously Morrowind and that's the only one. Anyone who doesn't think TES and DaS1 have the deepest lore of any game clearly either doesn't understand the finer elements of either or is a contrarian hipster that is mad that his favorite obscure game doesn't get as much attention. Having a shit ton of content != deep lore, and yes obviously TES has a lot of content but that isn't the reason why it's deep, that reason is in anything related to CHIM and its implications about everything else in the universe. If you don't think that TES lore is about the collective consciousness between everyone interested in the series then you don't understand CHIM, and if you don't think Dark Souls 1 is a direct metaphor to the history of the known universe (big bang, heat death, and humanities drive to resist entropy) then you don't understand it either. CHIM is not Nirvanah and DaS1 is not just dark and depressing.

No, Kaworu is a Time Diver. This is covered in depth in one of SRW: Alphas.

You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded.

40k lore is EVERYTHING IS FUCKED, nothing else.

I'll see if I can remember some of the details.
There's probably more details that I'm forgetting, but that was autistic enough.

All you've done in this thread is say that DaS and TES lore are shit. You have not provided a single reason why or a single suggestion of a game that has more interesting lore than either. I think it would be better for all of us if you went to a place more accepting of your methods of discussion, thanks and goodbye! 4chan.org/

dude thats like saying a rock has lore

This isn't even halfchan shit, I think you need to go back to >>>/ifunny/

>>>/reddit/

Fucking thank you. If I didn't know better I'd say Kingdom Hearts has comparable deep lore without putting most of it in the background.

Halo has or had some pretty deep lore too. But any single FF game blows most things mentioned in this thread out of the water

"D-do i fit here already guise?"

wew

You're goddamn right it is.

So how much spiral energy does shinji have?

That's pure speculation though, there's nothing to back that up aside from Galacta Knight being pink. I think he's starting to get way overused. He's had the same "secret ultra hard boss" role in three games now, all within a couple years of each other.

Equivalent to end of series Simon: both get Shinka. Once gain, SRW confirms.

Man, a lot of the higher tier ones are obvious if you pay any kind of attention.

Did ANY of this lore come from before the most recent games? Honestly I'm not interested in what the gook kikes are doing with the stories of these games now considering they don't know what the fuck they're doing, even Legend of Zelda lost the charm and mystery that was such a blatant feature of the N64 games and even the installations on SNES and GameCube.

Doom lore is best lore.

The lore in dark souls is not really important and just there for the player to fill in the reasons why things are. Taking it more seriously than that leads to the cancerous lore videos and the cancerous dark souls community on youtube where now most of them are complete SJWs. All of the big names there stroke off game journalist sites to get their video promoted and will proceed to hsit on anyone who does not like SJWs. Vaati and Veselokov are cancer.

And from this we know the Witch of Izalith was black.

It's a pretty basic indie Isaac clone, but the story is cool once you get into it.
>The book series is in-universe reality, and the events of the game are in-universe fiction
>The orphanage and its monsters are nightmarish representations of the Bandit's childhood memories and traumas
>Your player character is the poison injected into the Bandit, destroying the constructs of his mind and driving him insane
>In the final ending, the orphanage is rapidly being destroyed, while in the distance someone can be heard laughing endlessly

WE

What series has the most consistent lore?

WUZ

Smash Bros

WITCHEZ

PYROMANCUZ

If you're going to go full silly, may as well speak to Mario Party.

Why is TES lore shit?

Is there a lore to mario party? I feel like this is something that needs a few autistic charts, hell this is something that needs love in general well into the night.

Mario party seems to be a little more in line with Mario lore in general.

Do Donkey Kong and Mario exist in the same universe?

Which are?
Explain in depth.
Then what is it?

The Secret World.
Too bad the actual gameplay sucks and since it's a shoehorned MMO you control a an inoffensive mute who everyone rants, whines, condescends, expositions and monologues at.

A lot of people describe CHIM as lucid dreaming with the dreaming being shared between everyone in the world (like inception). I think that this is somewhat misleading because it is very different from dreaming.

I'm going to use the word "meme" a lot here, and know that I am not referring to the definition that is popular amongst internet users which is that it is a funny joke or picture from a subcommunity. I mean the original definition coined by Richard Dawkins to describe the an idea that reproduces, mutates, and evolves just like how organisms do. Meme is analagous to gene in this context.

The world of Tamriel was created by Bethesda's writers. Those writers were the first people to achieve CHIM and they spread the memes of TES through each TES game. Now they aren't exactly in the setting, but that doesn't matter here. They created gods and said that those gods created blah blah blah, and those gods can do so because they have also achieved CHIM (or were born with it). When you play a TES game you absorb the memes of Bethesda but just like genes, they mutate. Everyone has a slightly different perception of Tamriel based on their experience within the games or experience talking about it. Perhaps their Dragonborn was also the leader of the Dark Brotherhood, perhaps they didn't even play Skyrim because it was shit. Perhaps they're a certified loremaster or perhaps they just like to run around in Skyrim and collect butterflies. Everyone perceives the world differently but these perceptions are all linked (mostly by the games). This also means that shit like mods and fanfiction are a part of this "universe." All of these universes coexist at once and can influence each other. If you make a giant horse dong mod for Skyrim and share it with others then horses in their TES universe will also have giant dongs. And on a larger scale, when Bethesda makes a new TES game they certainly influence the perception of almost everyone that plays these games (unless you personally choose to believe that Oblivion isn't canon because it's shit).

Because of this, every player of TES (or anyone that knows about the world) has also achieved CHIM. Even on the most basic level the fact that you can go into the world and metagame quests based on if you know what the reward is, or save your game at a specific time and reload it whenever you die is proof that the player in each TES game has achieved CHIM, and the existence of mods or retcons also means that these worlds are not constant and can influence each other.

You're probably thinking that this is batshit retarded and not supported by anything in the games, but I don't think that's true. In Morrowind, Vivec straight up asks you to choose between 3 completely different versions of an event in TES history. The point is that it doesn't matter because history is defined by entities with CHIM. The whole point of Morrowind is that "canon" doesn't matter, and that the realization of this is CHIM and you are free to do what you want with the universe once you have realized this. So no, noone in the game explicitly says "mods are canon," but it is made pretty clear that nothing is canon and the world is whatever you want it to be and if you want there to be giant horse dongs in the world then good for you. If you still don't believe me then look up C0DA, it contains plenty of stuff that supports this way of looking at it too without explicitly saying it.

Were this any other game, I wouldn't go so far with this "everything is relative" type of view, but that was something that Morrowind went out of its way to show so I think that there's nothing wrong with looking at the whole game this way. I compare the game to pic related in this sense, should you just look at every painting you see with no artistic perspective and say that it's intended to be seen as oil on a canvas? No, but this painting clearly intends for you to view it that way. You can say that it's some "2deep4u" bullshit and that's fine, but I think that kind of thing is interesting to think about if that wasn't abundantly clear.

Also the main reason the lore is deep is because many people who know just as much about Morrowind lore as me will completely disagree with this interpretation, and I think piece of writing that makes a community argue with itself about what it means for 14 years is "deep"

Going to need a source for fapping reasons

It's like you haven't even read the 36 Sermons of Vivec.

Kirkbride is a madman, the rest of the TES lore can die in a dark hole.

Yeah, they do, but it's like Marvel movies, they only bother each other for teamups.

They had those Mario vs Donkey Kong games on DS.

Man, I really wanted to like this game but the gameplay is just bad.

user your argument is shit, you clearly don't have a understanding why the lore in the Souls series is highly acclaimed.

Simply put the lore satisfies those that like looking into history and piecing together those bits of history, filling in the gaps that have been lost to time and turing them into stories. The Souls series has brilliantly made it's story into a game itself, a giant puzzle that you can unravel if you want to which is brlliant in design itself. What makes it the icing on the cake is the fact it the Souls games do have really good stories with interesting takes on power struggles and characters being shades of grey instead of black and white. I personally have never come across other games that execute story on this level. The only thing that was done wrong was making the plot convoluted in Dark Souls 2. The objective should always be clear cut otherwise you just frustrate the player.

This.

There's over 20 books and most of them are actually really good.

I don't have any super huge fancy charts to prove it though other then like timelines (all of them outdated), but i've read pretty much all the novels and know all the subtle shit in the games so I can answer questions or whatever.

Or I could link to community sites that do analysis's and theories or stuff, I guess. One of my personal favorites in that regard is Forward Unto Dawn:

forwarduntodawn.com/article-vault/
forwarduntodawn.com/article-vault/deep-catalog/

Oh, that said, I do have a series of like 30 scale charts showing the canon sizes of various stuff like spaceships, vehicles, weapons, and even random objects throughout the games in scale with each other

I wouldn't want to post all of them though unless people want me to because it'd basically kill the thread, but they can be found here: halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_scalecomparison/1280h.html

I'm keen to agree.

Halo has always had a very interesting setting and story to me.
Except the Scorpion. That tank would get BTFO by almost any tank in RL modern era.

Are you talking about lore or visual design?

I love the visual design too but the thread's about the lore

Dark Souls

Mario series + spinoffs and subseries

Kirby series

yes

I hope you are shitposting.

Dorf Fort?

shit list

That actually sounds kinda neat

markydaysaid

>>>/gaschamber/

Souls lore best lore, suck my cock tesfags

What in the fuck is going on in here? Are we being raided by cuckchanners?

Oh dear. Also the answer is TES lore, obviously. Possible also Star Wars.