Mother/ Earthbound Thread

Is there any other turn based wankey JRPG with a battle system as fun as mother 3?

Even when i'm getting fucked up i'm diggin the countin down and the combo system and shit. Earthbound seemed ridiculously easy compared to this one.

A dumb robot maid with basic attacks makes for a better fight than a good 80% of the JRPG bosses i've fought through many games.

I dont know if Virtual Boy Advance's audio is delayed or what, but I cant do the musical beat combos

Is your frame skip on? It's not very well synchronized, but if you do it with the same frequency as the beat, it might work.

Emulators in general handle button presses a bit differently so the button combos need to be approached differently. If possible play it on a real system (GBA/DS/3DS etc) through flashcarts or pirated installation.

I just thought the timing window was incredibly specific and required skill, i usually don't look at the screen at all when i combo.

It gets better when you realize that the maid was guarding something that was King P felt was significant to him. But yeah, played Mother 3 years ago I still remember more basic enemies in it compared to any other JRPG. Negative Man is more memorable than a bunch of recolored or reskinned enemies.

Mother 4

Looking pretty good considering the developers wrote this as their rules for writing:

this game must be played on the original hardware if you want it to work.

That's a pretty decent list, I hope they pull off whatever it is they try to do, i don't see the rush onett coming out at all, but then again i haven't beaten mother 3 yet so i'm not begging for more.

Has anyone tested on mGBA to see if it works better than VBA?

I'm still glad that I got my legit copy from playasia during that sale in 2007. With that and my flashcart, I've experienced the game as it should be.

sounds good actually, it'd be great to finally have a game that takes their writing seriously.

Played earthbound again last year, and stopped playing mother 3 right after I got the first needle like 8 months ago. Might stop slacking around and beat it, maybe.

While I don't doubt you're right when you say it works better on the original hardware, it doesn't seem so bad now.

Still mad jealous of the people who can play it on the GBA.

All i can say is that the game was fucking awesome.

I spammed buffs and debuffs, couldn't do rhythm attacks and generally had quite a ride with the story.

I heavily recommend it.

I've got high hopes for that game, everything I've seen it looks fantastic from sound-design to game footage. Each character having a separate level-up riff that combines to a unified tune when multiple characters level-up is a fantastic touch.

flash carts are cheap, you probably even have your old gba/sp/ds/lite lying around.

To be honest, trying it out on VBA in 2006 when the ROM was dumped, it was okay enough to get a rhythm for about 4 notes or less on it.

The rhythm strikes are more bonuses, anyway. It becomes a lot harder to keep a combo going in the later chapters when time changes and more nonstandard times are introduced.

part of the core game play is getting the timings right. Pretty silly to miss out on such a big part.

you actually don't need to use them at all to beat the game

you can also get them on emu just fine if you have a no frameskip on

Funny how many "cinematic" "choice-driven" "emotional" walking simulators were already topped years ago with a few minutes of one section of a simple handheld RPG.

Fuck, don't remind me
I cried, and cried, and cried

The only game that has the same battle system is FF: Mystic Quest but it isn't as wankey and fun as Mother 3.

Doesn't the translation fix a bug even the original game had?
I think it was duster for some reason only using one note combination.

I don't know bugfixes, but some beta menus and a fanmade hard mode are unlockable if you see all enemies front and back

That's a patch you can apply to the game

Yeah it was Duster only using one tune for his rhythm combos, everyone else has two or three while Duster only had the one in JP with one or two unused

I do have an old SP lying around, i will check the flashcards out.

Get a cheap 3DS/2DS, hack the fuck out of it, and play GBA Virtual Console injects, they work great

Did mother 4 ever cum out?

Still in the works, mate.

I fucking loved how status effects were actually useful

Played it on VBA, had no problems with rhythm attacks.

all other songs were fine
this shit was impossible on VBA

Fuck off, Tumblrtale.

I had no idea Mother 3 was on the GBA.

Not the same thing autismo.

Try Hyperdimension Neptunia. :^)

It's been a while since I played through both earthbound and mother 3. These games are so charming. I'd describe them as colorful but not obnoxious. They're filled with soul and they touch on both light-hearted and heavy issues alike. There's commentary about loss, rivalry, deception, friendship, and a whole host of other themes; the games generally make statements about human nature. Not trying to be pretentious or anything, it's not like these games are the pinnacle of human design, but they're textured in terms of their writing. The humor could be described as "quirky" or referential but it wasn't so in your fucking face about it. Here's to hoping that Mother 4 will happen soon.

It was originally going to be 3D and on the 64, I forgot what was the reason they trashed that version.

Whens it coming out?

They're never satisfied with their work so never

never ever

This. The devs for Mother 4 are lazy fucks on par with Tripwire

They had lots of problems porting the game to 3D graphics and a 3D environment in general, which is why it got stuck in development hell.
There is some prototype floating around somewhere, not sure if it is out there though or locked up in some office.

Those character names are breddy gud

There's been some sort of under-wraps drama. I think their project lead more or less got tired of everyone special snowflaking and dipped.

You better provide a source because now I'm interested

It's all speculation, but if you look at his twitter he hits a point where he's just like "Well I'm working on (not Mother 4) right now and when people ask how shit's going with mother 4 he essentially says "Things are still going. Not necessarily fast, but they're moving forward".

I read somewhere he hired something of a "co-project lead" to help him manage growing team size or whatever and the guy SJW-subverted the team so he left. The guy got control of the project from a gay, only to have another gay do the same to him. Poor cuck.

wouldn't a better option just say fuck em, drop em, and open a volunteer audition/application?

They might as well call it mother 4ever

At least that's one less than 5ever.

He's making noises about working on his own games on spitter.

Still nice though, shows that the developers actually care

2 extra sets of sprites for doing an optional (and extremely non-needed) thing so minuscule in a part of the game that lasts about 2 minutes (beside battling).

I call it technology

THANKS YOU JESUS

Can someone just email that list to all developers, indie or AAA?

The fatal flaw of Mother 3: handheld games are very often played with sound off, because of the nature of what handhelds are for. But Mother 3 is one game that absolutely requires audio. Good game otherwise, but I prefer Earthbound by far.

I remember vaguely one of the leads was kinda social justicy with the weird blue haircut. Some sprite artists dropped in and out over the past three years before the reworked a bunch of it. Any links or their twitter regarding that 'moving forward' quote?

If it gets released hopefully it will be unscathed by any problems they have had personally within development or from 'subverting'.

I hope they havn't went SJW on it and change this and that so that its less problematic. God i hope it hasnt because i have hyped this shit for myself for a while.

Well shit, I'm sold.

its going fine
and no god its not SJW… Everyone on the team hates SJWs as far as I know

I don't think it requires audio, the game can be played on silent. Why not just use something like earbuds or headphones so that you would hear the music exclusively?

The Mother series are my favorite games, i don't think i will ever play anything that makes me feel as many things again. I might make my own game to make up for that.

who would have thought!

Is this bait? excluding starmen.net, the MOTHER fanbase is pretty much flawless. (or at least it was until Tumblrtale tainted some of it)

It clearly is bait, he probably has never played the games either.

Did someone call them out on being too edgy? Seems like a minor concern, really.

The original games had no cursing beyond maybe "crap" or "butt" so it makes sense.

I have played Earthbound, it was boring and there was a permeating gay sentimentality throughout that piece of trash.

You're a fucking autist. Give a single fucking example.

You're getting baited too easily.

Don't know about you but I'd be livid if I saw the word "fuck" or "cunt" used in a Mother title

Not to mention stat-lowering PSI was tremendously handy since if you got an enemy low enough in DEF/ATK they'd generally try to buff themselves back up, if possible. You can cheese Barrier Trio by Offense/Defense Downing them into oblivion at which point they'll drop everything to get their stats back up to their usual crazy heights, even foregoing their usual PK Starstorm.

Mother 3 was okay, nothing special. Earthbound blows it out of the water in every respect. The only thing Mother 3 has that could remotely be considered superior is the Timed Hits system it lifted from Super Mario RPG.

Earthbound's story is horrid compared to M3's and M1's, its saving grace is it's easier to get into gameplay-wise than M1 and introduced the overworld advantage/disadvantage system depending on where you touch an enemy as compared to M1's random battles, but considering M3 has all that and more, well.

Does M3 have the auto-battle feature? I remember that Earthbound had it but I can't remember if it carried to M3.

Honestly, I don't remember if it did or not. Not that it really matters, since autobattle always kind of sucked.

Earthybound was nothing to write home about, Mother was the best in the series definitely. It was far more atmospheric than any of the sequels.

It doesn't have auto-battle but I never once used the feature in Earthbound, or really any other game with autopilot battles as an option come to think of it.

Goddamn I hate the flag retention on this thing.

game seems to be getting a bit more surreal with robot chimeras and tranny gypsy dragonballs

getting the 8 bangin tunes was a cooler idea but it did amount to nothing than ness tripping out, hopefully i dont kill 7 fab fuckers for nothing