Replay last gen game which you thought was painfully mediocre at best(you know one those game thats way below your...

Whats her name Holla Forums?
Pic related for me, basically hated this game back in 2010, now after playing all these movie games garbage i think its pretty alright

Shit, i forgot people here dont play anything, my bad

to be fair you made an incredibly specific thread

i dont think so, but if give you any example of why you are wrong the meme shitposters will flood the thread

None of them.

I'm currently going through my Steam library trying the hundreds of games I've accrued over the years from humble bundles and shit that I've never actually played, and I haven't found a single one that wasn't shit.

He's right, this is a highly specific niche thread.

I didn't enjoy playing C&C 3 the first time I played due to how the world wasn't crazy and apocalyptic as the previous games nor felt as fun, but after the 4th game and any RTS game afterwards I've learn to appreciate it for what it is.

Yeah, that would honestly be my choice as well.

They got the ai and tactics of the Xenos bruddy gud, and I loved to collect all the audio diaries.

That said tho, it still had the disappointing lack of marine guns, and I wish there was a trophy collecting system like avp2.
Overall, it got most of the mechanics it did do really well, it just didnt have as much content as I would have liked.

its tough to think of an example for something like that

i guess maybe FEAR is one for me, i didn't like it the first time i played it but i tried it again further down the line and liked it a lot, but that was less due it being mediocre but just going in with different mindsets, i was expecting a horror game the first time

Yeah C&C 3 would have been one of my picks as well, it was probably honestly one of the last decent RTS games but I didn't really like it a whole lot when it first came out, can't put my finger on why though.

i liked that game when it came out.

This is pretty specific, at least in my eyes. There are two types of games I play; games that are new to me, and games I like playing. I'm never starved for content and I can't think of a time where I would be enough to say "Lets revisit that game I thought was really mediocre when I played it once and have had no desire to replay since"

Forgive me lord, for I have sinned.

This franchise really deserved a better final installment.

I had the opposite experience with FEAR. I enjoyed it the first time, but the second time I played through it I realised it didn't have much replay value, encounters were few, far between and don't last very long, and you spend 80% of the time trudging through dark corridors while "spooky" stuff happens. Furthermore the bossfights in the expansions are garbage, they're just bullet sponges that can't be dealt with using reflexes.

The attention to detail with the dynamic lighting and physics are great, the gunfights are also entertaining, but the game as whole is mediocre. Best part about it are the time trials in the last expansion.

Activision tried to crossbreed Bioshock with Call of Duty, and this abomination popped out. It's still better than Infinite.

Hey, that game was great. It was basically a swansong to that era of shooters and was like a combination of all the most prominent things at the time. It was Raven Software's last game, they were making good shooters since Heretic and Hexen. Jedi Outcast was great. Then they made one of the last pure shooters with Quake 4 and then they made Wolfenstein and this. Singularity had basically everything that became popular since Half-Life 2.

Been crawling through my Steam library trying to play as much of the shit I can before buying more games. I've already spent so much fuck.

It's rare I think a game is shit, come back to it, and find that maybe I misunderstood it or it grew on me. There have been a few, but perhaps the one that stuck with me the most was Sword of the Stars.

I thought SOTS sucked ass the first time I played it, but during a game drought my friend bought it and I figured fuck it, I'll load it up and we can play for a while.

And so began one of the most awesome campaigns I've played in any game ever. I could write pages just about one planet and our efforts to hold it. I've never played anything that intense… man what a fucking game.

Also Zuul are niggers.

Not at all, I doubt even 20% of the game is spent doing that.

I immensely enjoyed both this and No Man's Sky. I don't see how anyone could call either game mediocre since they do something no other games do.

Yup. They rape nodespace when they travel and enjoy it. Also their ships looks like they learned engineering from orks.

I hated this when it first came out, but i appreciate it a lot more now

Your one of those faggots.

It's development history is hilarious

it's the sad truth and you guys know it.

Most strategy games are like that for me these days.

In both those cases, the game was shit less because of what it was and more because of what it would have been.
I don't have the picture about the travesty that befell spore, but it was truly awful.

I genuinely enjoyed the first half of DS3 where you are actually dicking around in space. Once you get to the planet surface it all goes to shit. Also I never played the co-op missions but still kind of want to.

In fact the original Dead Space qualifies for this thread, only instead of liking it more after a generation had passed, I liked it more when it was still new and I replayed it several times. Something about it kept pulling me back in.

This was largely because of the massive economic crisis that occurred worldwide. It was too financially risky to release a new console generation in 2009 and 2010 when most people were afraid that their houses would get foreclosed on

There's actually more of a reason behind this. The reason most studios in the 90s created their own engines for games is because it was relatively fast back then. Doom's engine took something like 6 months to create. Most game engines usually took something like a year to make after this, and was usually done by like 3-4 guys.

It's completely different now where the renderer often takes a year alone to create and you have to incorporate things like physics and other things. Engines started to take a lot longer to create and developers started to find it easier to just buy a license for one. Like the Quake engine was popular for this reason.

Now it's even faster to just use something like Unity or Unreal 3 because of how dependent developers are on third party technologies. Like why bother coding a physics system from scratch when you can just download an engine and just use that. Not to mention these engines also have full Q/A staff, documentation, and are usually already well optimized for whatever consoles/PC they have to run on. So porting is also conceivably quicker to do.

It just makes a lot of financial sense for both big studios and smaller studios to just use a popular game engine than waste a huge amount of time coding one from scratch.

This always happened. Consoles were usually where the money was and technology started to catch up to where PCs were. Game budgets also inflated to the point where you can't make a game nowadays and make it break even unless it sells 1.5 million copies.

The reason expansion packs usually had a ton of content in them (although this wasn't always the case. For every good expansion there was usually 2-3 shitty ones for games) was because they not only had to sell them in stores alongside other games. But they often required the original game. So the competition and cost was enormous.

Whereas DLC is much cheaper to produce and you can just sell it digitally rather than having to sell it in a store. It's more convenient to the developer all around. I'm not saying this is a good thing mind you but it was a logical development of digital storefronts over exclusively physical media

This always happened

I don't think Call of Duty 4 did this singlehandedly. It did sell enormously well at the time but I think games like Halo 3, Grand Theft Auto 4 and others that released around the same time also contributed

Pic related, this game came out in 2016, and it's fun as fuck. Go fuck yourself.

I was both extremely hyped for what spore could have been but also was satisified by what we got in the end.

It should have been way better, yeah, but I still got a ton of fun out of just fucking around in the editors

Of course it's fun, but it's still missing essential features that could make it more fun which is what's holding it back.
Seriously all they need to do to make this one of the best Souls game to date is add "Sweet Spots" from Dark Souls 2 and then poise, everything would be fixed.

Spore was fun as fuck honestly. It's one of those games that only are as interesting as the person who plays them however.

Did we play the same game? I might have been exaggerating a bit but there's no way it was as little as 20%.

There's always an exception to the rule.

I seriously can't believe it came out in 2010. Where the fuck did six years go?

I'd say about 30% of FEAR was spoopy stuff.

Timeshift.

I just wish the troubled development didn't become so obvious the further you go into the game. By the time it was over they just didn't give a fuck… still, better than anything that is coming out today.

I had a similar experience. I still think it doesn't hold up to the first two Tiberium universe games though.

Publishers, eh?

Could it be that infantry moved at Sanic on Crack Speeds and it was one of these games if they slowed it the fuck down it would have been far more enjoyable?

Welcome to late stage capitalism my friend

I appreciate Doom3 much more since I've played NuDood.

The Resident Evil clones start to get more appealing, to me. Dino Crisis, Parasite Eve: I used to avoid those, now I'd like a throwback.

But past generation? Probably Far Cry 2.

Jesus fucking christ, don't you have something else to do?

To contribute to the thread, I fucking hated DoW: Soulstorm when I first played it. I had pirated the fucker and outright uninstalled and deleted it from my computer. Years later after having bought the THQ collection like a good goy I played it again and found it much more bearable, probably because there's been little or no good RTS in many years.

That's some rather passive-aggressive shilling for a dead game, right there.

Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve were always good games don't know why anyone would avoid them also calling PE a RE clone is kinda stupid.

Same thing as Minecraft, right? Super awesome game, way better now than in beta! :D

I think maybe Red Faction Guerilla holds up better, at least the parts where you assault a base and chew it up with various weapons; no other game does it quite as satisfyingly. Everything else is still pretty bad though.

Dragon's Dogma is an example of a great game that shows itself as better and better over time since there are few other ARPG (non-diablolike) games with an open world and fluid combat.

It's inappropriate but I mean the genre, like calling Binary Domain a gears clone.

It goes deeper than that, user.

Don't forget about the (((investors))).

I think different.
I didn't like Tiberium Sun at all. The whole post-apocalypctic cyber-bullshit is a maximum turn-off for me.

C&C1 for life.

That reminds me how Gearbox reused synthetic Weyland-Yutani official plot point in Aliens: Colonial Marines. What a mess that shitty game was.

PE has turned based combat
RE has real time combat

PE is heavy on RPG elements (leveling up, weapon crafting, spells, HP/MP, random fights, tons of weapons and armors)
RE is simply an action game with some puzzle elements

PE has no survival elements as weapons, ammo, items are abundant as fuck, you can very easily run away from random encounters with no consequences
RE has scarce items and ammo, there are few weapons so conserving you stuff is vital for survival, you have to choose between fighting or running away from enemies, running away can sometimes be very tricky and can cost you more than fighting

PE is a SCI-FI thriller
RE is a B class Horror complete with jump scares

Those games have almost nothing in common, only people that wanted PE to be compared to RE were Square marketers. RE made a huge name for itself and PE was published just 2 months after RE2 which was a smashing success.

There was a fad of Resident Evil clones in the late 90s, it's just like how these games were labeled. Even Silent Hill.

Of course they had to have their own features, and arguing that the genre is different because of itemization and setting makes no sense. They were new ideas applied to the RE formula.

Agreed, it's far better than I remembered it. Far from perfect but it's an alright game.

Sadly this is also true, the pace in that game is fucking ridiculous. Why even make infantry or most other units (beyond early scout or repealing a rush) when it takes like 2 minutes to reach that one tank you want to spam?

PE as a franchise includes 2, which is exactly that, an RE clone with minor RPG elements.

I dont know man my first thought while playing it was that the devs wanted to make a shooter but couldn't decide if they wanted to make it like FEAR or CoD. I really think the game could have worked like a first person metroidvania game, the fucking device they have fits that kinda game perfectly especially with those small stations that upgrade your time glove.
we wont ever get a sequel anyway so speculating is pointless.

holy fuck they are by the same people? and raven software is no longer?

user you make me sad.

It definitely lacked some of the spark of the earlier Paper Marios, but with the last 2 Paper Marios….

Nintendo is fascist?!?!?!

Yup. They still technically exist but they're a part of activision now and only make CoD DLC, I doubt any of the original devs are still around. They also made Soldier of Fortune and the Elite Force games back in the day, really talented devs. Human Head Studios was a splinter group formed when they got bought up, they only managed to make Prey and Rune before croaking to Bethesda's bullshit.

also, Lollipop Chainsaw was pretty fun when compared to action games now. The story was also pretty entertaining, even if Jim Sterling tried to ruin it by trying to frame it as some deep criticism on Japanese and Western culture.

also also, was Unreal Engine 3 better than 4 or is that just me? It seems like it was a lot more colorful and could accommodate different art directions.

Nigger, that game is better than 90% of whatever garbage this and previous generation have churned out. I wish I'd experienced the multiplayer, every time I reinstall the game I'm surprised by the MULTIPLAYER option.

Fuck the ticks though.

I was wondering if her hands were big or if it were just me.

Turok, because we've got so many bland military shooters these days, an FPS where you fight non-humanoid enemies seems like a fun novelty

I liked TUROK at the time, but I had a hard on for anything turok and anything dinosaur at the time

The multiplayer was surprisingly good and challenging… fuck, now I want to play it. I'm downloading it now.

someone must carry these sins, it might as well be me

Game was fucking great for the banter alone.

But yes, it's a sin as to what happened to it.

look it up on tcrf.net and you'll not believe just how much shit was cut to make the deadline.

I'd rather not know. That would just depress me, especially considering it was easily one of Jim Cummings best performances. The dialogue in that game was a pleasure to listen to. I feel like if they would have at the very least put in a final boss I could forgive the rough as fuck third act.

Same, I've done a run of the two first games at least once a year since they came out

Have more patience or don't be a faggot that makes shit threads.
Your choice OP.

Vanquish. Before I even knew how to get cuhrazee I thought the game was boring and unimaginative.
Now that I know how to get cuhrazee the game is amazing. I remember the one guy from Red letter media said that "third person shooters are the genre people use when they design a story first and gameplay second" to paraphrase. Well, I'd like to introduce him to Vanquish. A game that was built from the ground up to put momentum and energy in a genre so slow it bores people to tears.
Also RE6 because fuck atleast that game looks like an RE game Capcom. 7 looks so boring.

Wow. Okay I might give Singularity a go.

I dont buy that cuhrazee shit with Vanquish.
Its a generic cover based game through and through, the only difference is that you can slide and use slow-mo which is the complete oposite of being cuhrazee and used on games where the devs dont know a better way to help the casuals deal with the challenging bits.

No, Unreal Engine 3 really is terrible. Go back and look at the horrible texture streaming, the shiny fucking gloss on everything, the terrible LOD and rendering problems. It's a trash engine and true abomination.

That is pretty fucking sweet. That makes me want to play the game actually.

For me it was Final Fantasy XIII. I hated it at first, but then I got deathly ill and could hardly do fucking anything, so a game that had very little gameplay but actually gave me something basic to do was exactly what the doctor ordered. Got up to the Steppe and was feeling well enough to grind out some missions and by that time I was enjoying the comfy of the open world and I actually had fun.

That said, it literally required me to be so sick I was unable to get out of bed or lift my head for extended periods to enjoy it, so take that as you will.

True. Thats the problem. Vanquish is limited in that regards. It has to use slow mo as a crutch because aiming at stupidly high speeds like that without a mouse would be really frustrating and imprecise. Not to mention it'd melt the ps3's hardware.
And remember, this is Platinum crazy. Where they do design a game with the lowest skill level possible first then add in around that so people who buy the game for "simplistic reason X" can still have an enjoyable time but people who want that challenge and want that higher level can seek it out with ease. See MGR for an example of that, how the base level of play is very fun and it attracted people to seek out titles like it, but then they encounter Devil May Cry 3 or Bayonetta and go "eugh".
Is it truly up there with the greatest of the Cuhrazee tier games? No. However did Platnium at least do a good job of speeding up and adding more advanced mechanics to a genre that was prone to do things by the book? Yes. Did it catch on? Sadly no

What does he mean by this?

You think wrong. Keep crying like a bitch

I have fond memories of the raptor cave since all I did was basically 1HKO every single one of them with my knife.

checked

Still playing it to this day, pretty funky with Tiberium Essence or Kane's Warth Reloaded.

[Spoiler]Also enjoying C&C4 every now and then, kill me.[/Spoiler]

I suppose the art directions were just better then… which isn't a surprise. You can't be to risky with art directions now of day. You might miss out on that AAA dollar.

The game can't decide whether it wants to be an atmospheric horror-ish shooter or a setpiece-driven modern warfare shooter. You'll enter a level full of corners to poke around in, hidden resources to find, and audiologs to listen to, and the game will try to rush you to the next level and get to the next setpiece. Hell, to listen to the audiologs you have to stop playing the game and stand next to the speaker until it finishes; just let me pick the damn thing up and carry it with me, this problem has been solved for decades. There's a ton of cool weapons with extremely limited ammo that there's no point in carrying around because of the two weapon limit, and you only get enough weapon upgrades for two weapons anyway. If you play it on hard the game is sort of challenging until you get the time-stop sphere and the damage resistance upgrades, then it turns piss easy.

The time powers are one third standard gravity gun, one third door-opener, and one third combat-trivializer. Catch grenades and throw them back, snap your fingers to fix some stairs so you can get to the next part of the level, then freeze a miniboss in time and pump six rounds of buckshot into its head to instantly kill it. Almost none of them are original, and the ones that are basically negate the shooting mechanics.

I had fun with it, but it's so clearly a mediocre consolized version of Bioshock, which is itself a mediocre consolized version of System Shock 2.

F.E.A.R. 3.
I remembered it as an absolute shitfest, but it is way above most cod games and is better than any shooter that came out this year. Fettel has a nice playstyle too.
It's still mediocre though.

It's a sci-fi shooter.
As much as Bioshock blew my young, naive and innocent pre-2007 mind, Singularity is still better. And I've never even made a connection between the two until you pointed it out.

Oh, I get it now. Excuse me a moment.

half-life 2

I feel the same about FEAR 2

It's true, I was… what, 14-15 at the time. I got my first pc only 3 years prior to that and before that it was strictly NES and Genesis (at neighbor's house). I know Singularity is simpler in terms of mechanics, but I still got more enjoyment out of that than Ken "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing!" Levine's System Shock spiritual successor.
But hey, it's just my retarded opinion, why should you care, ya millennial fuck :^)

>>>/reddit/

point out for me in this picture where did i hurt your whore feelings

I find this very arousing.

Given how warframe turned out, I'd say executive meddling was to it's benefit.

Not really "last gen" but fuck your overly specific ass OP.
Recently I replayed both of the first MoH's for PS1 (Medal of Honor & MoH: Underground, both titles are more or less the same gameplay and graphics wise, with underground having somewhat better level design in my opinion) which were pretty fun for my 9 year old self, yet once I grew up and looked back at it I found them really shitty in comparison to other PC FPS titles of around the same time.
However, now, after giving it another go emulating them, I found quite a few of their features pretty satisfying, like the AI not being absolutely braindead "point at player and shoot"-style and actually doing stuff like taking cover, strafing a bit or going prone so that they're not as easy of a target. They'll react in a few different ways to grenades too, like kicking them away, grabbing them and tossing them back at you, even jumping belly first into them, in an attempt to sacrifice their own lives to absorb the blast and save their teammates. Similarly, the dogs will grab grenades and come running at you full kamikaze.
Also, enemies react depending on what part of their body you hit, flinching and grabbing their arms/legs/groin and sometimes falling to the ground and crawling away either shooting or with their backs faced towards you. Plenty of these include their own death animations, and shooting someone in the upper torso/face point blank with a shotgun will blow them making them do a backflip.
None of these things are incredibly impressive, but they show some clear attention to detail which is lacking nowadays, and are very much needed considering the restrictions the hardware had, like being unable to render too much of a level at once, or too many enemies.

Odd, I replayed it with a friend not long ago and found it even worse than the first time. Then again, I haven't played any singleplayer shooters that came since then.

Fresh from the boat?

I only liked the spookyhouse level. That game is just bad.

I don't even remember buying that game nor seeing commercials for it, but holy shit, I like it. It's like a mix of CoDMW1 and Wolfenstein2009.