Considering console FPS is shit and simply can't work on a controller how come Car Combat (which was huge in the 90s)...

Considering console FPS is shit and simply can't work on a controller how come Car Combat (which was huge in the 90s) die off? It's basically the same as shooters except it's based on movement instead of aiming.

Less freedom in that regard takes freedom away
I used to dislike them greatly due mostly to an unusuable copy of Twisted Metal Black Online due to the shitty newtwork and to Jak X but have taken a liking a to them recently thanks to shit like Gas Guzzlers.
I can kind of understand why they're pretty niche now.
I wouldnt say they were ever mainstream even

Twisted Metal died.

I think you meant Carmageddon and Interstate.

Everything else is shit.

What's the point of car combat games? Since a car can't strafe it's just driving straight at each other shooting until one of them dies. I don't get it.

This is a problem I had with Twisted Metal and Vigilante 8. It made them both a chore to play. I don't know how though, but Interstate '76 didn't have that problem. Probably because it was modeled after MechWarrior 2 which already had great combat.

It's about hit and running.

That's the challenge!

Or you could have guns not fixed and always pointing forward.

would anyone say the rocket league is in a way keeping the car-abstraction game alive? I think there's a bit of a connection there.

yes yes, we get it, you pc game congrats

You can turn and jump. They aren't realistic and you can chase down enemies while the enemy in front of you fires at you back trying to dodge attacks.

Vigilante 8 had plenty of weapons that didn't require you to look directly at your opponent though.

It has more in common with air combat than 3rd/1st person shooters.

Energy management and angle of approach are infinitely more important than in an FPS, just gunning straight for someone with complete disregard for the situation will end up with you overshooting and leaving yourself completely exposed.

Did you get lost on your way to half/v/?

It's generally slower combat because you can't rapidly change target.

The best combine it with racing so you need to pick your fights so you don't lose positions.

Oh, Death Rally. Have not heard of it in a long time. I should probably give it a try.

Rock n' Roll Racing on the SNES is also worth checking out if you emulate.

Disregard my faggotry, that pic is the shitty GB port.

Usually Snes has better sound, but when comes to Rock music, Genesis sounds better.

it's about thinking ahead, positioning, etc. ideally the maps have cover so you can plan your approach, try and ambush them, etc. but i see your point, there are limits on the depth you can give a car combat game because of the lack of direct control.

rocket league's control system would be interesting to adapt to an actual combat game, but that's probably the best current outlet if you need to do shit with cars vs. cars

Fuck this world.

so are there any good car combat games on pc?

The new carmageddon game is ok.

It's jousting.

It literally lacks a dimension in comparison. Fine aiming in a plane with rudder control is much easier than in a car especially because the change in direction isn't immediate.

Only car combat game I ever played was some Twisted Metal at my friends place decade and a half ago. Didn't have a lasting effect. I feel like to make it interesting you'd have to add some Ridge Racer 360 degree drifts around corner type shit.

because the average pleb nowadays is this user

One advantage of the flat plane though is that collissions can work without breaking the game. Ramming people in dogfight games is just going to kill both of you and is generally ill advised, but in a car game you can use it to fuck with people's momentum and get them to crash into things.

There's also the environment itself. Very few games that take place in the air actually have anything to levels other than a ground; there are no obstacles in the air or terrain to use to your advantage.

you would be getting alot of smug anime girl images if i had my reaction folder here

I still miss Vigilante 8.
Fucking rip.