Is this still the best fps controller? Comfortable, good analog sticks, and has triggers. Any alternatives?

Is this still the best fps controller? Comfortable, good analog sticks, and has triggers. Any alternatives?

Mouse & keyboard, son.

Playing FPS games withe a gamepad should be reserved for when you want to do silly shit like walk at like, five inches per second in a game, or spin nonstop.

Mouse and keyboard is the absolute best FPS controller, pleb.
That is a good controller though, I don't know of any better alternatives

I like getting comfy with a controller, but it really sucks

No. Mouse is superior for aiming but using keys for movement is too clunky for me. Also I don't play multiplayer so the extra edge doesn't matter.

a lightgun

I prefer to use mouse & gamepad when possible, you get the smooth movement of the sitcks with the accuracy of the mouse.

I've only ever used a dualshock and a N64 controller. So of those two obviously the dualshock. There is a lot of people that speak highly of the steam controller though. And yes, Mouse/Keyboard is obviously the superior option (especially since many PS4 FPS games surprisingly support it) but I realize all the replies are going to point that out so I thought I'd at least try and answer your question.

Even these pieces of shit would be better at an FPS than an xbawks controller

It would be nice to have a one handed controller with access to more than 6 buttons and a trigger.

that's so full of shit I don't believe it

And the DS2 and the Duke are far better controllers.

You realize aiming is the primary concern for an fps, right?

Goy Sony is even making a $130 custom keyboard for them.

Then use both. Controller with left hand, mouse with right. Worked to some degree with Quake 2 for PSX. I prefer the DualShock 4 for general use, but I have no real problem with the 360 pad.

I can't wait for the day when consoles properly support mice and keyboards. Nice that you can use a keyboard to type messages and input login information and such, but not being able to control games is kinda' ass.

NEGATED, BITCH.

Triggers don't add anything to an FPS you fucking retard.

Sure they do. They add delay to your intention to fire your weapon or cast your spell. This, in turn, adds frustration, which is mitigated by the game being made more and more casual by the developers, or consolized.

You're a fucking retard. Keys are objectively superior in 99% of the cases as you can double tap and get faster response than with a stick that has travel to reach maximum speed.
The stick is only useful if you need to go from walking to running in a seamless way all the time like when playing MGSV in stealth mode without cheaping out with the stealth suit (to me, the most entertaining way to play it)… and that's not a FPS, in case you haven't realized yet.
M+Kb is the best overall combo, if you really have to play with a controller, the Steam controller is the best for FPS thanks to the very configurable and functional gyroscope and extra buttons among other stuff. Shame that shit is tied to steam.
The 360 controller is as bad as the DS4, you can play, but you get subpar performance.

I'll give it a shot once I decide on a controller but it sounds pretty retarded.

Easy movement is more important than aiming. Even for Quake.

But triggers are cool and closer to a shooters finger position than clicking a mouse. Sega knew this which is why they invented them for the dreamcast.

Triggers were on the Saturn 3D controller. Also, owning real guns all but eliminates the desire for "realism" in shooting game controls.

I will say that I like me some analog gas and brakes in driving, though.

No

Pic related is.

And it's still dogshit compared to a proper mouse and keyboard

I have an xbone controller and have been using it to play fightan on pc and have to say the dpad is great

Fuck your shit nigger, this is the best controller ever made for FPS, second only to KB/M.

From the thumbnail it looks like satan is peeking out and watching you.

A shitty D-pad and I've never been a big fan of those asymmetric stick positions. It's fine I guess but my cheap logitech doesn't really feel any worse than that and it was less than half the price of an xbox360 controller when I bought it. Though my logitech has equally bad d-pad and I mostly use it to play emulator games so it wasn't exactly the best choice for my usage.

Did nintendo and/or sony get a patent on some crucial aspect of d-pad design of why is it so god damn hard for everyone else to come up with a descent d-pad?

Dual analog stick controllers are shit for FPS only because of the fucktarded "left stick = ground movement, right stick = view rotation" standard that every dev is too scared to ever deviate from, because casuals are too stupid to try anything different. If devs had any balls, they would 1:1 map Yaw to left stick circumference displacement (like an endless steering wheel), 1:1 map Pitch to right stick Y-axis value (added bonus of self-centering when released), and proportionally map left/right strafing speed to right stick X-axis tilt. Jumping and crouching can be mapped to stick clicks. Left trigger is walk forward, left bumper is reverse. Right trigger is primary fire, right bumper is secondary fire (or switch weapon mode or whatever). Face buttons and D-pad are for secondary shit like reload, inventory, map, communication, etc.
There you go, perfect 1:1 aiming and immediate finger access to movement and firing. No stupid newfangled tech gimmicks like accelerometers or touchscreens needed either; we could have had this over fifteen years ago using PS2 Dual Shock pads.

You never played a FPS with a HOTAS and pedals, did you?
It's great!

I can understand the desperation but I don't think it's worth using a track ball.

Go to bed, grandpa. It's past your afternoon nap.

I WONDER WHAT QUAKEFAGS USE FOR MOVEMENT, MUST BE A SHITTY PAD

I played Goldeneye with a wheel and pedals. It was weird, like playing Super Mario Brothers with the power glove.

My dual sticks here say that it's past your dirt nap, ya little whippersnapper.

WHAT THE FUGGGGGGGG

THICCCCCCCCCCCCC

UUUUGGGGHHHH

fps isn't a good genre of games, but any controller with gyro is better than the 360 controller. Wii u pad for example.

>>>/tumblr/

did you know that UGH! is a video game?

Will consider flightstick + mouse.

>my cheap logitech doesn't really feel any worse
Mine did in the analog sticks but it was from years ago.

THHHHICCCCCRRRRRRR

With the amount of time I spend in the air in Quake it might as well be.

just fucking give me one with a and x switched with b and y damnit

I can't play games with anything analog related, let alone a controller. My brain is used to buttons since the famicom controller and then my upgrade to pc. So no. For me it's anything keyboard and mouse.

I've downed many jets, helis, and blew up lots of tanks in Battlefield 3 with that cheap flightstick. Jest if you will, but for the price it's pretty damn good.

most controllers dont even do that, they all have massive dead zones.

I want to hit him in the face with an axe.

This user is right, fps games are the anime of videogames

Controllers shall always be crippled by the lack of mouselook so in effect, are poor choices for FPS games. I do prefer them in platformers and beat-em-ups though.

Controllers are definitely better suited for certain things. I'll never understand the "KB&M FOR EVERYTHING FOREVER" faggots.

they are idiots who know no better.

I'm honestly much more accustomed to WASD than left analog or D-Pad. It doesn't matter what kind of game it is, keyboard is superior to controller no matter what.

Any game with camera movement is made worse with a controller.

I'm playing exclusively on a PC for more than two decades, but fighting games are designed for controllers, not a keyboard.

Hehe xD

They released the xbox one controller for a reason, you know

Was gonna say something but I see you're getting roasted enough already.

Yeah selling more to dumb fucks.
Controllers with pressure sensitiveness are the best

I have a 360 controller. The analog sticks started drifting a few weeks after I got it. I have to set the deadzones to like 52% for it to work properly.
Also, it's a wireless controller, so I had to shell out extra for a special receiver. And I'm sick of having a circle for a dpad instead of a proper plus shape.
It's the worst controller I've ever had.

Yeah it's so good that games feel the need to have auto aim.

No such thing, faggot. Controllers are for Dork Souls, platformers, driving games (assuming you're too poor to get a steering wheel) and fighting games only.

Check em.

Not massive enough, not even remotely as massive as pressing a fucking button.

/thread

fucking casuals get out of my board