PS2 emulation is shit

Other urls found in this thread:

pcsx2.net/278-q3-2016-progress-report.html
pcsx2.net/download/development/git.html
forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're shit.

Thanks for letting us know.

Rude.

You're welcome :)

Ps2 Emulator works great for me, learn to use computers.

Please explain, I plan to do it too eventually
On the topic of region bypassing or backups loading?

Go try and play Parappa the Rapper 2.

no it doesn't stop lying to yourself, PS2 emulation is embarrassingly bad considering the PS2s weak hardware. And its all because the main devs of PCSX2 had such poor foresight into the planning of their project they made it some frankenstein beast of code that nobody even wants to fork much less contribute to

I played like 8 games on PCSX2 this week alone and didn't have any problems. Which games are you guys having problems with?

Many games perform data timing checks based on the disc drive's read speed, even though Sony's TRC said not to do that. So even if you set compatibility modes to try and get the hard drive working at the same speed as the drive, it's not perfect and a lot of games will fuck up during loads.

Nah it's good.

out of curiosity do you play with or without a gamepad?

That's something wrong with your configuration.

Gamepad. I have a USB gamepad I bought 8 or 10 years ago to play DMC3:SE, I'm still using that

guess I'll have to buy one inevitably

I haven't encountered a single game my softmod couldn't run.

What about burning DVDs? I suppose in that case the issue doesn't show up?
Sorry for noobish questions but I want to be sure what I am getting into when I will softmod

Go try it.

nigger with calculator tier computer

Probably works fine, or at least better, but then you need to worry about the laser eventually failing, and having to crack open the case to clean it every now and then.

PS2 hardware isn't weak. It's just like nothing else, made specifically for games.

Sounds like you either fucked up your install, or are using the wrong program, or are too retarded to use the program you do have properly. I've never ran in to any problems.

Get good OP.

Oh, or you're trying to run your shit from a USB, in which case, pic related.

Changes the setting(s) doesn't make the emulator any better coded nor does it increase compatibility. Its like having your car be coated in shit and your response is to turn on the windshield wipers. Sure you might see a bit but the car is still soaked in shit.

I just did, yeah your rig is shit dude. If you're gonna play PS2 games you're going to need a good rig for it, there is at least two bottlenecks you have to account for and the devs specifically made it with compatibility with certain cards and hardware in mind first while hopefully being able to incorporate other hardware. The bottlenecks prevents hardware past a certain age from ever being viable.

Is it easy to run DMC 3? Did they already fix the HUD glitch?

You could just play the pc port with the style switcher mod that fixes some of its issues.

PCSX2 was improving at a snail's pace for several years because the main devs fucked off to work at Sony.
They got a really good dev on their team awhile ago named Gregory, so recently they've been making more progress.
They got a decent amount done this quarter.
pcsx2.net/278-q3-2016-progress-report.html

Gregory has basically done 80% of the work for the past few months on PCSX2. That's not an exaggeration.
Look at the recent revisions.
pcsx2.net/download/development/git.html
Sixteen out of the past twenty revisions have been by Gregory.

stop posting gregory, if you want recognition go to the pcsx forums or some shit

All of the developer blogs since 2014 have also been by him.
To think fuckers like Avih (a literal Israeli Jew) and Arcum42 (a goddamn anti-piracy brony) put their names on the project when they do fuck all makes me pissed off.

What? Emulated PS2 games run better than on actual console.

Lord God, bite the bullet and get a USB controller of some sort or another, even a DS4 or a 360/Xbone controller if you just need a quick one that will guaranteed work.

What loader are you using man? I've literally not run into a single issue outside of FMVs with digital 5.1 audio stuttering a bit.

Alright, fair enough.

What PS2 emulator are you using, then?

Not him but basically OPL works most of the time if you're not too autistic about small details (lower framerates, stuttering) and don't mind having to fuck around with compatibility mode, also dealing with the occasional crash (rare but it can happen especially with SMB)

Burning is another problem entirely, you will kill your drive faster with burnt DVDs no way around it, slim tend to be more resilient and not as picky but forget about DVD9 games altogether, they're an absolute pain in the ass unless you're lucky and have both a burner that handles low-speed burning on them properly and a PS2 that's not picky at all.

PCSX2 is the best, even the official PS2 emulator for PS3 is shittier and every other project is either dead, a joke or so early in dev it's not even worth considering them for several years.

OPL also works good with USB sticks now so there's no reason to fuck around with networking unless your very specific game happens to not work with USB. i have prepared such setup for my younger cousins so they can discover the games i have played in my childhood

caveat: you need a rather expensive dongle like Samsung ones, chinese garbage probably won't even boot

Every game I've burnt has run perfectly, you're just a faggot.

Ide drive compatibility is great. What you on about?

I have a DS2 with a usb adapter, how do I get pressure sensitive buttons?

You can run it on software mode but good luck with the framerate. There is also a weird glitch where the game activates King Crimson for you if you touch certain surfaces.

You don't, unless you have a Play.com adapter or know how to write a driver.

Black has been running fine since 1.3
What issues are you getting?

No it doesn't
PS2 physically cannot read USB drives at playable speeds unless you hardmod it.

Honestly a fat PS2 with HDD is better than burning DVDs.
The PS2 laser is notoriously shit and you'll have to spend money on top tier DVDs and writer if you want to play games properly.

Lighting won't show up in hardware mode. It works fine in software mode but I can't keep a stable framerate.
The skybox sometimes gets fucked if you load the map in hardware mode.

The only game I tried that flat out didn't work was R&C 3

Works fine now.

burnout 3 plays perfectly, and other games too. except cinematics but who cares about them except cucks

Are you using the Opengl renderer and the latest build?

i played KH 2 at 1080p on my gaming pc

had a small amount of sound issues

I'm using AMD.

The directX renderer has been depreciated for quite some time so don't expect good results when using it.
I doubt its gonna make a huge difference between AMD and Nvidia for the opengl renderer

That's why I'm not using it, I thought it worked fine on Nvidia drivers, I only bought AMD GPUs so I wouldn't really know to be honest.
And I'm using the 1.4 build, which is the latest version.
Software does work I just can't keep it stable.

I meant that its not gonna make a huge difference between AMD and Nvidia for the renderer.
You have no reason to not to use the Opengl one.
Also get the latest build from the buildbot not the stable one.

Tried it now, same issues.
Looks like I'll just play it downgraded.

Try upping your blending unit accuracy maybe?

Is it that blue adapter? I got it off amazon, unless that specific play.com adapter has it's own driver. I would have thought getting pressure sensitivity working would be a top priority.

forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller
Try for yourself.

Bump

Can help a fellow raven out?
I'm trying to play Armored Core Last Raven, as I played previous ones already, and in menus and garage it looks pretty sweet, using an x4 internal resolution.
But in missions it becomes blurry as shit, as I were running software mode. I fucked around with the setting and HW hacks, but nothing helped.
For comparison 3rd screen is from AC Nexus.
What do?

First of all, Last Raven is a broken mess and my favourite AC. I honestly always recomend skipping it simply because it's completley unfair later on. Secondly if I remember correctly it doesn't like hardware rendering in the first place

Go in the audio plugin control pannel and change timestetch to async mix, won't make it run faster but at-least no distorted audio.

Timesplitters 3 has really bad audio during cutscenes, and Disaster Report has a continuous annoying beeping sound as soon as you start it up, and then crashes shortly after starting a game.

Speaking of, how well does the Third Strike port work on softmod?

"HDD: selecting REMY character gives problems. Other than that, plays fine."

I thought it was 1.1?
In fact the usb 2.0 specification was launched about a month before the ps2, still possible that they changed it on the last second but nobody makes changes this big a few days before launching their product

I thought I remember reading it as 2.0, but I could be wrong, either way it's speed is atrocious.

usb 2.0 should allow 30megabytes/s so it's much better than any dvd/cd reader
usb 1.1 should allow 1.5megabytes/s and i'm assuming that value already subtracts protocol overhead since i didn't find any info on it and it's not impossible that the controller on the ps2 side can't reach that speed (it's also possible on usb 2.0 but not very likely that it's so bad it's slower than the console's cd/dvd reader)
It's probably usb 1.1

The fuck you talking about?

It's USB 1.1, but it's also hampered by the speed + memory of the I/O processor.

I use a CECH-A CFW PS3 for all my PS1+2+3 needs.

PS2 on PS4 is best.

If you care so much about USB compatibility then just burn the backups to DVD, they will play without a single fault. All you need is to patch the ISO using ESR Patcher, takes like 5 seconds.

Softmod is 100%, unless you're talking about shit loading off the usb real slow, but given that it's usb 1 it's as good as it can be.

Works perfectly fine for me, Super Robot Wars all day errday.

Please explain.

t. unity game dev

I see you tried to emulate Ratchet and Clank too.

I keep hearing about how bad pcsx2 is, and I keep playing games on it with few problems. The worst thing I've had to do was download an old build to get cutscene audio working properly in Shadow of Rome.

Some games like Ratchet & Clank run quite poorly on it

PS2 emulation works well enough, I'm not on a high-end machine by any means and made it through shit like MGS3 with relative ease. Just need to play with the settings.

PS2 emulation works way better than most people give it credit for as long as you're running the game the way it was intended to be ran. Once you start doing things like implementing anti-aliasing and increasing the internal resolution performance will take a hit if you're not running a beast of a computer. People seem to be spoiled and expect these old games to look like the ones they play now. Also if you're going to play with the various hacks in the options then make sure you are keeping track of what you mess with because even the slightest change can introduce more general instability.

Is this true? I ran some games on a 1.8ghz i5 with intel hd 4000 on the highest directx renderer it would let me and they ran pretty ok. Been thinking of downloading the latest build and playing some games again. Do you think I would gain any peformance from using opengl with integrated graphics?