Game design choices that piss you off

For me, it's beat em ups/ stylish action games that put an annoying amount of priority to aerial attacks where you and your character are suspended in midair while you flail around with your wet noodle, or make you rocket the fuck down at mach speed when you press the attack button. Both feel really fucking awkward and make me wonder why I'm even bothering with jump attacks.

Whatever happened to just drop-kicking a nigga with your good old fashioned jump arc?

talking about fighting games like Mortal Kombat?

I remember it was either Deadly Alliance or Deception, one of them had a campaign mode and made me feel like a total noob, because some combos were literally impossible for me to pull off.

I don't know why they had to do stuff like diagonally up left or up right. It was so fucking difficult to pull off.

It's even worse if you pull it off by pure chance and didn't feel like you did anything differently this time and know that you would never be able to repeat that combo in free play.

I'm talking about Senran Kagura.

Burst, for all its faults, got the Jump Arc thing right, where you can jump and attack in a semi freefall, and that anime airdasher aerial rave bullshit is reserved for you pressing A whenever the green ring appears.

Deep Crimson is a massive improvement over almost everything in Burst, except that the "jump, drop and blow the fucker across the room" attacks are nowhere to be found because the "zoom and flail around horizontally" physics are always mandatory. So at this point, if Burst had an actually stable frame rate, I might have found myself playing it more than Deep Crimson, as much as Deep Crimson is the relatively better game.

there's your problem.
don't play weebshit and you're ok.

The games have some heart to them. Or maybe I'm just a little sad that they're some of the best games to have come out in recent years, which sadly isn't saying very much.

I'll just stick to Final Fight and Streets of Rage I guess, or maybe get good enough codemonkey skills to make a Final Fight tribute.

Pretty much everything about how MMORPGs, especially recent ones, have been handling character classes.

Pretty much any exceptions I can find are either closed-down or clunky as shit.

etc, every fucking game nowadays has something that disgusts me to the core. Sometimes you can unbid it and completely forget it exists but they are pushing this garbage harder and harder.
Ubishit games are the king at being shitty like this. I dont even bother pirating them.

You know what OP? I feel your pain. I love shit like the Inazuna Drop in Ninja Gaiden, but so many games (DMC included) feel like shit when air juggling enemies.

And it grinds my fucking nuts.

As someone who loves Thief and play roughly half of all fanmissions on the Dark Mod, you know what my solution to retarded stealth mechanics in Skyrim or other modern games is?

I unbound the sneak button. Yup. It's more fun and challenging that way. If I want stealth, I go to the game whose whole purpose is to simulate stealth perfectly, with a very detailed light gem, a sound system which reacts to different surfaces, guards with periphereal vision.

When I play other RPGs that have stealth I just play anything but that. Fuck Stealth in those games. Give me proper stealth or nothing.

It works if the weapon is special, but I agree.

nuThief

Thnx bb. If I ever set up that 8ch meet up i've always wanted to do, I'd like to set up some Capcom AVP.

DMC4 has especially shitty juggling, but then almost everything in that game feels weak. It doesn't help that you don't have anything like DMC3's CCCs for variety either, so you're stuck with launch combos or style switching gimmicks.

Even though I beat the AI, it doesn't seem right and it infurates me.

That is an absolute no go in my opinion. Turns out a nintendo game simulates how to do a harder campaign AI exactly right. Advance Wars. The unit strenght is exactly the same as normal, the movement speed is normal, all that is different is that the AI simply starts with more stuff.

And no the AI doesn't even get an income boost. Only in the first game the AI got a boost in fog of war, because the FOW didnt apply to them.

That's how it should be done. Just make the AI start with more of everything. Give them fully upgraded cities, give them double the amount of armies, etc.

Btw why did you bring up strategy? Overlord is not a strategy game.

sorry ignore the last sentence, I thought I was in another thread

Yea and the shitty AI cheats are painfully blatant in games like Civilization V.

I don't remember, for instance, Civilization III being retarded as much, or Alpha Centauri…

It's even worse when you can exploit the AI through some sort of vassal system.

Thats why Crusader Kings 2 is for example easier on higher difficulties, because you get extra cash from your vassals.

Izuna Drops are the best. (3:02 in embed)

Those are actual games. Shut the fuck up, retard.

I just dont like anime stuff user

Game where you are praised for no reason.

I am talking about stuff like WoW did in past 2 expansions. You were regular adventurer but suddenly you are a general of Dreanor attack or a guy who will wield most legendary weapon against legion.
It is especially bad in MMOs but other RPGs also do it. Like Skyrim making you praised across the land because you are Dragonborn, while you really are lv 4 adventurer.

I never understood it. Gothic made you shit at the beginning so being badass at the end had some meaning to it. Why modern games are so shit at praising you for nothing? If I wanted to do nothing and be praised, I would go play Nekopara or other VN.

Fake "harem"shit LN adaptations with shit faggot male protagonists are an actual reason to not care about anime.

It's about dumbasses assuming that looking like it automatically makes something shit or spew a bunch of retarded buzzwords about the way sexy cartoon girls look.

mah Izuna Droppin' brothers

I hate how restricted your movement is in way too many games. Not being able to manually jump is one of my biggest gripes with 3D games especially.

Shit like FPS should have had parkour by the 7th generation.

Shoving characters to the bottom of the tier list is why i stopped playing leauge,
I just couldnt stand them nerfing my mains anymore

fuck off with your MOBA shit

fucking RTS games for retards who are too stupid to play the real thing with your tower defense, dota clones and stuff

Japanese vidya offers a respite from the sociopolitical shitstorm in the west. too bad about your aversion to "anime", I guess you're stuck with hipster slop.

skyrim didn't even do it right. todd couldn't even bother to make a simple dialogue script in regards to reputation; if you talk to the same guy twice, he praises you in one sentence, then he does a 180° and talks shit about you. that piece of shit game couldn't do anything right.

In RPGs: get poisoned by the enemy, wastes one turn using an antidote, as soon as the next turn begins the enemy spits venom in my face again and I have to waste another turn drinking potions because they have no lasting effect.

Steamworld Heist, not XCOM.

I actually plan on doing this if that pesky problem ever arises. What's wrong with it?

Take Yugioh for example. If a new archetype can spam the fuck out removing your monsters, then other archetypes get cards to SS them back and say "Fuck you" by nuking a couple cards and inflicting damage for it.

I would watch anime if I had someone to watch it with (and suck my dick during it, because animu is gay), but since I don't have anyone, I don't feel like watching it alone.

Which is why nobody fucking plays YGO and it hasn't been relevant in over a decade. Get a grip.

Saving limitation

You mean hasn't been relevant in video games. It's still getting a shit ton of sales and following.

I'm looking at you GTAIV, Turtles in Manhatten, Rhyse-SoR.

Counterpoint with WoW: The player has most likely basically saved the world several times over by the time they reach Draenor/The Broken Isles. Makes sense that you wouldn't just be an ordinary adventurer by that point. I will cede that they went too far with it, though, where you're basically a hero to factions you've never come into contact with immediately upon meeting them.

It's a symptom of the larger issue of taking the "MMO" out of the MMORPG.

I'm curious, user, why forward on mouse 2?

Power creep becomes a thing and the game can start loosing focus, i don't have any examples though

wew

I played Red alert 2 and CnC generals and Warcraft 3 with my group of friends for a while, but we switched to Dota and league because we liked playing on the same team and RTS died

I still don't want to believe it.

Someone recommended it years ago when I first started play FPS games. It gives you a finger for each direction, so no delay time moving from W (up) to S (down).

Hasn't the majority of the population done that, or does WoW do the "you're the actual chosen one despite there being a couple million players" shit?

I want to rape people who do that.

Play supcom faf, community's nice a lively.

It's like they intentionally made it to blue ball you

does it run properly on multicore cpus?

I have a good rig and it pisses me off, takes away my enjoment

THIS LOOKS LIKE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE

Fallout 4 is worse, you're praised for killing some guy at like level 2-3 and that makes you the ultimate badass late in the game. Somehow.

You expected anything good from the absolute garbage that is team ninja and their team of weebcucks.

It really bugs me when a shooter is more "episodic" with how it handles its chapters, for lack of a better way to put it. Like the new Wolfenstein. After most chapters, you're healed to full, and all your weapons are taken away. Takes away any incentive to save your better weapons' ammo, since it won't matter soon anyway. The original Doom did it too and I didn't like it there either.

Doesn't matter anymore. WoW starts praising you by level 5 now, ever since they redid everything. You kill a couple level 1 orcs and suddenly everyone's heard of the legendary hero.

These kinds of minor annoyances can make a game feel like a chore if there's too many of them.

This shit is a textbook case of realistic features that detract from a game rather than add to it. It forces me to use garbage weapons 99% of the time so that my good weapons are in top condition when fighting bosses, and it forces me to stop having fun and head back to town/checkpoints for repairs. Worse still is its use in pay to win MMOs where gear has a chance to permanently lose some, most, or even all of its maximum durability, and the game "conveniently" sells items to restore max durability.

Half of the fun of RPGs is feeling the difference between when you just started out and when you're a weapon of mass destruction. Level scaling throws this out the window, and all feeling of progression is lost.

I don't pay for just the first chapter of a book. I'm not about to pay for just the first part of a game.

This is something Phantasy Star Online 2 handled pretty well, I think. You start the game as a scrub trainee, and nobody's saying typical MMO shit like "you're so great despite having no training!" The only thing people notice is special about you is that you can actually make full use of all classes while most other people tend to do really well with one, but not so good at the rest. Slowly, over the course of the first two episodes of the game, the player gets more and more important missions handed to him until it culminates in the the organization you work for putting out an order to kill you for treason. It's not until after the dust settles from that situation that people start seeing you as something special, and not until the end of episode 3 that they start thinking of you as a hero.

Early WoW was pretty good about it. You were basically just a grunt to everyone until you proved yourself. You would be pretty much at level cap before you got any real acclaim for what you were doing. Then Burning Crusade came out, and all these characters who'd seen some shit talked down to you because they didn't care what you'd done, it was nothing compared to a demonic invasion. In Wrath that changed a little, but it was within reason. Stuff like a recruiter NPC letting you skip the line to sign up so they can get you on the battlefield sooner.

I've always done this too and my friends shit on me for it but also my hand positioning on the keyboard is different(not wasd) it feels better for shooters

one thing I love in games is the feeling of 'zero to hero' starting off with jack shit and slowly getting a huge arsenal of weapons at your disposal. shit like 2gunz completely ruins that for me

This is a big one for me. It's also one of the reasons I haven't gone back to EYE. Why don't they just let you gain brouzouf and buy new guns and powers that way? Why did it have to get bogged down in this ridiculous stat system that's half broken because of things like fatal wounds (did you know that if you get a stat up to the point where you normally need to invest 2 points in it to upgrade it, then take a fatal wound to temporarily lower it, you can upgrade it for 1 point?) and is just unnecessary overall?

What's even worse than a pointless upgrade system though is a TIMEWASTING upgrade system. You see these most often in roguelites and mobile games, and they're equally cancerous in both. You know the kind, the ones where you start out extremely underpowered but get to keep your money between runs and spend it to upgrade yourself. All this is is an artificial way to keep you playing for longer so you can get more shekels to upgrade yourself enough to finally win. I will always default to HideOfBeast's definition of "artificial difficulty": could a person theoretically make it through a game without EVER dying if their reaction time and skill were good enough? If not, it's artificial difficulty. So by that definition, this is artificial difficulty in the extreme, only serving to draw out the gameplay hours.

making a game open world when the gameplay elements are more suited to more condensed levels/worlds.
the way watchdogs turned out kills me inside
I genuinely think it could have turned out better if it wasn't open world

God you're pathetic

What? No, not at all.

I have no desire to watch anime. If I was together with someone who liked anime, I would watch it for the benefit of them.

Ok those ones are just pet peeves.

You know what I really hate in a game design? Weak weapons. Not as in "weapons that are weak and don't do good damage", I mean "weapons that feel weak". This is the reason I think that Overwatch is fucking terrible; the guns are fucking toys. They have pretty much no kick, no impact, they don't SOUND powerful, they don't FEEL powerful to fire, they're just overall really fucking piss poor. Seriously, Tracer's supposedly got plasma pistols, but when you shoot them they feel like dollar store squirt guns.

Compare that to Blacklight: Retribution. A fucking F2P FPS. When you use use one of Reaper's shotguns, it'll usually take at least two shots even at point blank range, and for some reason there's a second crack on each shot after the first one for no reason, and the crack doesn't even sound that powerful, and when you kill someone with them they just slump over. These guns feel INCREDIBLY weak. Now, the shotgun in BL:R… not only do you get an incredibly satisfying and powerful CRASH chk-chk sound when you fire it, but it also has one-shot kill potential at close-to-point blank range, and causes enemy corpses to be blown back. The gun feels GOOD to use. And it's like this for EVERY gun in OW and in BL:R. Shoot someone in the head with Widowmaker and they just ragdoll. Plus the shot sound, while better than Reaper's shotgun sound, is still incredibly understated and just blends in with the background noise. You fire a Bolt Action in BL:R and you can really hear it, and if you headshot a guy, their fucking head explodes and their body goes tumbling. Even the rapid-fire weapons in BLR at least sound like they could put holes in a dude. Tip to all aspiring game devs: unless you have one hell of a good sound team, Rat Tat Tat always sounds better than Pew Pew Pew.

EYE and Painkiller were other games that had that POWERFUL feeling on their weapons, and it really helps their fun factor.

I.E.
Fucking kill yourself devs

Thief came out in 1998, how have we managed to regress so badly since then?

Casuals, user.

Annoys the shit out of me. A shield user in heavy armour should be a juggernaught on the battlefield who enemies have to dance around lest he just run them over. At least some games like Dragon's Dogma get it right by letting you attack with the shield and making it feel like it has some weight to it. Games where you don't actually use the shield to block and it just functions as a stat giving wand for warriors are even worse/

Even worse
If you're not going to let me play the game, at least don't force me to look at your shitty movie with the game overlay on it.

Omnipresence of the Internet. You didn't need to know how to configure a modem init string to get online. The barrier was lowered to the point where it is underground. Now every asshole has a soapbox to scream from, which has allowed double-digit IQ rainbow landwhales and other varieties of shit-for-brains peons to effect changes in anything that hurts their feelings.

Game is too scary? THE CHILDREN!!!!
Game is too hard? IT'S SHITTY! CASUAL FORTRESS IS BETTER!
Tits? SEXIST!
White protagonist? RACIST!

This is why I stopped collecting video games as my primary hobby.

Goon detected. Goons hate anime. It's well known. Best way to drive goons out of Holla Forums is to post lots of smug anime grills.

fuck I didnt even notice

I HAVE DISHONORED Holla Forums! :(

how much did you shell out?

About $450 through Palmetto State Armory a few years ago. Each year the deal comes up, less seems to come with it, though. I got the rifle, three 30 round magazines, and a leather sling. The year before I jumped on it, they were including magazine pouches.

What if the cutscene incorporates the HUD somehow? Like you get hit in the face, and it shows on your health bar?

Cute, now leave.

>>>/reddit/
>>>/somethingawful/

MGS4 did that and you could still skip the cutscenes

Everything in Bioshock.

This.
Holy fuck I cannot believe how blind unmodded Phantom Pain AI is.
Vid related, this should not be a valid fucking strategy (that works in gold reflective paint, no less)

I can't be the only one to notice this shit happens in every goddamned mainstream "RPG" that comes out nowadays.
Bioware is really fucking bad about this bullshit from what I hear, apparently Inquisition constantly wants to ride your dick about what an amazing little mage you are from moment one.

Kill yourself, retard.

Yeah, but to a certain extent I'd want some crazy shit to still be able to be pulled off for fun without making things completely onesided.

hello TotalBiscuit

Yeah, what the fuck. How come Splinter Cell back in early 2000's on a shitty PS2 was way better than what they crank out now?

The AI is so fucking dumb in the new Deus Ex i can make a mockery of the enemies on the hardest level by not even using stealth. And once you're spotted, you just crawl into a vent and everything will be fine because the enemies is retarded. In the old Splinter Cell games you were through, you were done when spotted so you were always careful with making sound and putting away enemies so they wouldn't be spotted at anytime during the levels.

You know what kills me? A wrestling game that removed the damage indicator (usually in the form of which body part gets damaged after every moved) and removing the ability to spam up until 5 finishers.

LOCALIZATIONS

I know your frustration well. I myself can't play games that lack the color green. I'm not talking about the shit tier light or dark green, oh no. What a proper game needs is a lively shade of lime green; the color of nature, right choices and a happy lifestyle. If i have to give an example, Blazblue Calamity Trigger severely lacked a healthy dosage of green in its aesthetic. Sure there was Bang but
Stop fucking with me. As a result that game ended up being total shit. At least for me. But the good people at Arc System Works quickly recognized their mistake and added Hazama in the sequel Continuum Shift. He has an interesting playstyle revolving around green snakes, his hair is green, color palette overall began to include more green and everyone became happy. This same reason is also why i can't get into Guilty Gear. Their colors all clash with each other, creatin a clusterfuck of a show and yet there's no proper green to be seen at anywhere. I don't want to play as red hothead or blue handsome or orange kid or blue yellow black white dark-green ms. my wings are moving on their own, i want to feel the liveliness and the joy of a character. When i found that Raven from would be appearing as a DLC for GGXrd #Revelator i was super excited because he was kick ass to play as in Overture but no, they turned him into some edgy ying yang boring anime psychopath number 8.

Who the shit does this.
This and walking in games are the most annoying shit on earth and I never find someone defending them.

Dead Rising.
I don't even have to list anything specifically, because everyone will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Survivors, you dipshit

is Colour Splash worth the money? The game looks like a better Sticker Star, but I am still keeping hope of it not being total fucking garbage. I love Paper Mario and it pains me to keep hope.

That's the problem though, when you power creep that doesn't happen. Instead, the safe, easy shit becomes so safe and easy that there's literally no reason to try anything elaborate. If you succeed, the payoff can even be worse than the easy answer. If you don't succeed because you fucked up, you lose to a guy who only has to average 45 APM including mouse movements because he picked the straightforward character.

Save points.
I right out refuse to play any modern game with them. There is no excuse for their existence except artificially lengthen the game and create a illusion of difficulty.

what.

It's shit and you will wish you hadn't spent the money. It's sticker star 2.0, now with even less character. Enjoy the shitty sticker system again.

I … I recognize that frog.

You realize my hero academia isn't niche right? If you are trying to make a joke it wasn't funny.

I bet you can't get past sad panda.

I thought it was loss at first

I thought user was talking about the singing, dancing frog from looney tunes.
What a fag.

WAIT, if you turn the pic sideways it actually is loss

This is Holla Forums retard. Go back to halfchan, because I don't want some idiot like you shitting up 8/pol/ more than it already is. Unless you are pretending to be retarded, in which case still go back.

Fuck off skinhead.

Then stop shitposting on Holla Forums.

the fuck

I don't think you have the right to complain about Holla Forums when you do stupid shit like that.

they were purposefully retarded to match the horror movie theme the whole game striver for.

but yea I agree, they were a huge pain in the ass, i can understand making it a challenge where you have to clear a path for them because they are retarded but then when they dont take that path is when I get booty bothered

Can't make casuals think too hard, user, or else they might think your stealth game is shit since it expects them to actually learn to stealth!

I personally like that stuff because it lets you do stuff like jump cancel and air combos, but too each his own. One thing that pisses me off are when a game does some undercooked mechanic that has nothing to do with the main gameplay for the sake of variety.

Two things in Oblivion
1. Difficulty sliders
2. The ability to save and reload whenever you want

They are literal retards if they can't figure out how to to do that.

how to fix this
1. Fixed difficulty
2. Whenever you die you are resurrected at the spirit healer by magic, and lose you gold and items. If you're in a mission location, you're resurrected at the start. This way you have to respect the limits of the game and can't just beat everything by lowering the difficulty and savescumming.

Lost Planet 2 did that sort of thing, but it never really bothered me, probably because it only came at the end of chapters, and there weren't any super-rare weapons for you to want to take to the next chapter anyway.

That was in Morrowind too, though.
I get what you're saying though, the temptation to savescum can be a bitch.

If everyone is overpowered, no one will be.

I fucking hate this. If the damn developers are gonna throw shit tons of loot at me anyway, then make the inventory unlimited to begin with. Nobody likes this run back and forth shit!

What's the point?

Guild Wars 2 "balance" in a nutshell

I really hate Pokémon's single player because of this. I never am able to make a Pokémon that can buff or debug the opponent until they drop dead from me breathing in their direction, because every fight they throw at you takes two hits from your Pokémon then it's over.

Yugioh is an excellent example of why this is bad.

Not only are the older cards not in the very latest set completely outclassed, the game is so ridiculously fast that monsters are able to be summoned so easily, making them lose all sense of satisfaction to use.

NO

Yes, but at least they'll actually release unexpected support for older cards like making classic Normal Monsters much more playable with Pendulum Summoning and specific cards to really help them out only. I'm saying if something is too strong and too many people like it, then just use the opportunity of everyone that doesn't want to play it and make cards for their favorites that even the playing field. Or at last resort, even errata and officially nerf the cards without banning or completely ruining the enjoyment of in the process. This is the principle of what I'd like to do. If something like an ability or combo is too powerful, then don't ban it. Just scale it back a bit, but make it still worth bothering with to not alienate the fans who enjoy it.

I think "The Icefrog Way" would be a lot more accurate because Dota 2 is the only game at Valve that does this. TF2 and CS certainly don't use this balancing strategy.

I know it's an ASSFAGGOT but if you want an example of this done right, Icefrog has done it very well in Dota 2 (which is what that comic was referring to). You have shit like a hero that can lock down everyone in an AOE for 12 seconds yet right now he's somewhat unpopular just because everyone is that ridiculously overpowered in their own way, and somehow the game is still mostly balanced and 90% of heroes get picked in competitive play (compared to Riot's nofun balance strategy making maybe 60% get picked at best).

Dota 2 is absolutely fucking miserable if you don't main ganking semicarries post-6.82 economy rehaul. The characters who are OP relative to the rest of the cast are consistently braindead easy to play where a guy who only plays Kirby games would laugh at you. Even when you do win against them, it's an uphill battle of you having to play well versus them having to slam their head on the keyboard and praying that comeback gold doesn't lose you the game from one lost teamfight even if you've been stomping for 30 minutes.

If you do main ganking semicarries, then Dota's better than it's ever been. Just go ahead and pick 5 of 'em. PA, Jugg, Riki, Slark, Timbersaw is a perfectly viable team comp these days.

You sound like a 2k scrublord that is entirely unable to adapt to the meta. I usually random or at least choose a different hero every game and I have no issues with most of them, and most of the issues I do have are on my end like not being super used to jungling.

One single thing I remember from FFIX that didn't make a fucking difference in fights 99% of the time: You can use the Tent item in combat to heal a target. But there's a chance they'll be bitten by a snake and get blinded, poisoned, and some other effect (delayed petrify?)

Tents work on bosses, even if they're normally immune to those status effects, and there's one that this just cheeses to death

Offtopic but I love these kind of shenanigans.

Elsword used the first method, and then eventually the second method.

Both of them ended up fucking horribly, since it ends up being a contest of who can one shot the other person, fastest.

I'll use the tokens to buy shotgun shells to kill myself with.

Having an advantage doesn't make something broken unless that advantage is insurmountable, no matter how assblasted one is that someone is completely wrecking their shit. Most of the time it's not the gun or the equipment, it's the shitty weak player with the shitty, weak equipment, and I wish more games would err more on the side of "git gud" than try to console every twelve year old with a controller.

There comes a point when you've heard this so much you've finally come up with a good answer for this. When the meta keeps changing to the point where it literally doesn't feel like the same game anymore, and I actively hate playing the new game, I'm not gonna play it. It has nothing to do with winning or losing, and to be honest "you just hate it because you're bad" is an extremely lazy argument. It's not even fun to win anymore.

Here's an analogy. You play some board game like Chess for years. Except chess is a proprietary, digital board game that can irreversibly change at a moment's notice because the developer says so. The specific developer decides that the game needs more queens, so it gives you free queens if you lose too many pieces. You can't go back and play the old version, but now you have this new, fucked-up game that doesn't play anything like Chess. I'm not going to "adapt" to a game that's not even the same game beyond visual appearances anymore. If that makes me "bad" at the game, then I'm going to play a game that doesn't feel like make working in fast food sound like fun.

Go ahead, type "mad cuz bad" ten thousand times. It's not going to force me to enjoy 3-4 semicarry stall-outside-the-base-so-you-don't-feed-comeback-gold meta. You keep having fun with that, I'll keep roasting your game because at this point you clearly all have Stockholm syndrome.