sketchfab.com/models/bedf9616fb5a4dafa4126a529bf99076
steamcommunity.com/id/JustCham/
my.mixtape.moe/kxygke.mp3
pastebin.com/dwmXjxkx
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1laio2k4HufN0ZoTTh0Q3VsNk0
soundcloud.com/holofonoro/holofonoro-caverna-de-pincoyas
gitgud.io/TheSniperFan/astar-for-user
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_(folklore)
gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-isometric-worlds-a-primer-for-game-developers--gamedev-6511
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Post your dead projects

someone post the butt

I tried looking for an farm tractor mecha sprite sheet from an old unfinished project but apparently I wiped the hard drive on that computer and lost it forever.
Have butts instead.

FUCK

This took a while, but fucking finally.
The basic transportation system is done. Now you can actually go from your ship to planets and vice-versa.

There's still a lot of ways it can be improved, such as having a little more polished graphics, some better sounds for reboarding, improved ship AI voice, and being able to actually select a planet beforehand.
But MAN this is such a huge step forward it's awesome and I'm happy.

This continues to look great. Can't wait to play.

Can we /ss/ the sharkshota?

That's pretty damn awesome dude!
Not sure I get the Scanning Subject text tho. Is that so that the ship might attack enemies or am I just reading to much into it?

Excuse me?

Great taste

That tune's called the synapse you gay

This mod keeps looking better and better.

I found some more time to add the thickness to the armor and copy it over to the other side. Here's the armor minus helmet, gauntlets, and foot pieces. I'll probably add the helmet last because it will probably end up being the most defining characteristic of the armor and I want it to look nice and be something original. The rest of the armor is pretty derivative.

Input is appreciated as always. Still wondering whether or not I should add decorative stuff to the armor or keep it with just the basic shape. Lore will probably be the deciding factor in the end meaning no decorative stuff.

Looking good.

from last thread:

its not in the hand i use my mouse with

feeling better from when it started but my fingers on that hand are useless right now. its in a splint

haha, thanks

funny thing about it is that i had a weird dream that i fell out of bed on my hand, but that didnt happen.. it was still a dream come true because i couldnt use the hand when i woke up

Too bad I can't work on my game for another month.

that is a very good butt holy shit

I'll post progress tomorrow

rip

If floppy disks are for coders, and laserdics are for artists, what's the antiquated storage medium for Idea guys?

They get nothing, to represent everything they will ever make.

a 1 gig thumb drive that contains all of their ideas

How about a sheet of paper? Plenty enough space to contain something like "Diablo but a first-person shooter with cel shading and memes!"

First attempt at modelling vs today's attempt at modelling.

I fucked up and took advice from a friend that told me to use one of the tools that automatically cleaned up non-planar faces, resulting in the mess of edges that it now is.

Using the solidify modifier yes? I'd hate to imagine someone manually thickening the armor by hand.

a to select all, alt+j to convert tris to quads. don't worry about non planar faces right now, it's a non issue in your current state.

a to select all, ctrl+n to recalculate normals outside

My recommendation is to look at other peoples work, to figure out edgeflow and topology, then kill yourself when you realize that that topology is largely subjective. Watch videos of people speed modelling, that will help with your technique a whole lot.

Another recommendation is to learn to sculpt and retopologize, I only mesh model when making low poly or making inorganic objects

You learn something new every day.

kek

It's pretty shoddily worded, but the idea is that the ship can look at people and allow/deny access based upon if the AI recognizes them.
Ultimately, though, I just wanted flavor text and wasn't sure what to put there.

I don't really tend to put lewd in my stuff, sorry. But I really have no objections to people writing or drawing lewdstuff.

Thanks. I've been having a lot of fun looking up tracker/module stuff, I'm always eagerly digging for more.

Ha, nice! Well done.

I'm gonna take the nap, laserdisc.

I have nothing to work on.

The intent is to keep things low-poly for now, as trying to go straight into stuff like sculpting without a basic grasp and understanding of modelling, seems like a mistake.

Besides that though, are there any improvements you think I can make to the model?

picosong.com/a33i/

You can make a metric tonne of improvements to your model, are you trying specifically to recreate someone or are you just making a human? try looking at low poly characters that already exist, but stay away from no effort low poly

Use other peoples work as a reference and try and copy what they do, and always gravitate around your work, it's going to exist in 3d so you need to constantly look at it from many different angles.

Also try and watch and read as many general modelling tutorials as you can, it's important to understand the interface and and concepts of 3d modelling.

sketchfab.com/models/05ba49b324ae4b759a6b4b140a7be456

sketchfab.com/models/1acadc9a3d554a61b3e05a2d970ad296

sketchfab.com/models/bedf9616fb5a4dafa4126a529bf99076

Turn on wireframe to see their topology

In this thread

Assume you have these skills;
Blacksmithing > heavy armor, melee weapons, arrowheads..
Leatherworking > light fur/leather armor, boots, hats..
Tailoring > clothing, ropes, capes, general purpose cloth..
Wood carving > bows, staves, arrow shafts..
Stone crafting > statues, gem cutting, floors/walls..

What would you do with glass blowing, pottery (clay crafting), and painting? I'm not sure where they'd fit, and I can't think of a good new skill for them.

Build primitive molotov cocktails.

Then why have them?

Because I don't like the idea of some of the most crucial crafting components (e.g. vials) being inexplicably not craftable when everything else is.

Pottery > Pots for long term food storage, primate hut (along with sticks)
Glass > Jars for long term food storage, windows, lenses for glasses and telescopes, containers for reactive/hazards materials, luxury/decorative items such as jewelry or wine glasses
Painting > Paintings, makeup, visually recreating an important item/person to show to a hired thief or mercenary

That's all I got.

Funny you should link a TS character, as that's the sort of style I was trying to emulate with this go at it

heres one

I ain't sloppy, floppy!

I'm gonna take the risk, laserdisc!

This isn't just a caper, carbon copy paper!

I should go dev now, right?

Go dev and let them guide you on.

Doing a little online game for Halloween, hopefully for Holla Forums to play together. So decided to rip off get influenced by Downwell's pixelshit aesthetics and whip up a mockup to start getting some visuals done.

I AIN'T SLOPPY, FLOPPY

about 50 crashes later

What's the song that starts at 0:59 ?
Also you should put vaporwave in the jukebox.

Let's take it to a next level, shall we?

Bydd Cthulhu yn codi eto. Iechyd da, butt.

Keep at it bro. Are you doing tutorials?
This may sound counter intuitive but trying out things for yourself is fine but documentation within blender is pretty sparse and you're better off finding out how things go together correctly from tutorials rather than trying things at random and then ending up with tons of unfixable (due to lack of understanding) errors.

My recommendation is to save a .blend of every tutorial you do, save the renders (preferably to a remote site like dropbox or whatever) so that you can look back on your progress and be invigorated.

Also if you find you start with a cube and end up with an owl but don't understand how you got from step 1 to step 9001, don't worry about it, you learned more than you realize and if you revisit the tutorial in a week you'll be able to pick up stuff you missed the first time around.

This is a fundamental noob mistake, thinking that low poly = low complexity (I made this mistake too starting out).

It's fine to box model, it's a useful skill and it's important when it comes to retopo but don't be afraid to try sculpting too (you're going to need to try everything no matter how daunting).

i've got an issue with my shitty rts
i've got this function that finds the closest reachable node on the map, but i'm somehow retarded and it just returns the first possible node it finds, rather than the one closest to the target
the units SHOULD surround the red rectangle, but instead they just stay on one side of it
protected List searchedNodes = new List(); public NodeElement FindNearestReachable(NodeElement nod) { searchedNodes = new List(); return NearestReachable(nod); } public NodeElement NearestReachable(NodeElement nod) { if (nod.Passable()) { return nod; } else { //search in a circle around the node //breadth first search for (int i = 0; i < SquareGrid.DIRS.Length; i++) { NodeElement node = PathfindingMap.VecToNode(nod.x + SquareGrid.DIRS[i].x, nod.y + SquareGrid.DIRS[i].y); if (node != null) { if (node.Passable(this)) { return node; } } } //no possible result in the first circle has been found //restart the search from each node in the last circle //doesn't actually work like that because i'm retarded for (int i = 0; i < SquareGrid.DIRS.Length; i++) { NodeElement temp = PathfindingMap.VecToNode(nod.x + SquareGrid.DIRS[i].x, nod.y + SquareGrid.DIRS[i].y); if (temp != null && !searchedNodes.Contains(temp)) { searchedNodes.Add(temp); return NearestReachable(temp); } } return null; } }

also node.Passable(this) means that it's checking if the node is unoccupied or if it's occupied by this unit

How do I jump in a 2.5D space? As in y=z in normal walking condition, then for jump, y increases in same 'spot' without z? Then how can I join these moves, like moving upwards while jumping?

Keep the coords of the 'ground' below the character, and store the dY from that point as a separate variable. Jumping changes that dY value, and both the ground coords and dY for the jump are used to draw whatever sprite.

If you will have obstacles that can be jumped on/walked on, you will need to use the ground coord+dY to calculate collisions with the bottom of the character.

I like you. Webm may actually be relevant for once.

If its 2.5d like kirby 64, maintain each objects xyz position but have another variable n that denotes their position on the path - that way you can have levels that snake and curve but they still play completely libearly

I think he means 2.5D as in gameboy zelda games. Hence the "Y=Z" part of his post.
If that's the case, the solution is to not actually do Y=Z, but only calculate Y=Y+Z at the moment you draw a sprite. Might have to multiply Z with a number between 0 and 1 before adding it, depends on the viewing angle.

Those games didnt have height either. Stuff you could jump off of? Just set pieces that played that animation

That is so fucking cool,

Here is what I have done so far.

I store the y&z of the ground, use dy as height of jump, and dy basically changes the sprite position, dy returning back to stored y. Is it right? I'm sorry if I don't understand that.

I actually trying to make a side-scrolling fighting game like LF2.

I said like, not actually the way most of them handled it. Also reminder that the Oracle games had jumping mechanics in the form of Roc's Feather and that bear.

alright someone tell me how to make this not shit
protected List searchedNodes = new List(); public NodeElement FindNearestReachable(NodeElement nod) { searchedNodes = new List(); return NearestReachable(nod); } public NodeElement NearestReachable(NodeElement nod) { if (nod.Passable(this)) { return nod; } else { searchedNodes.Add(nod); NodeElement cur = nod; int i = 0; do { for (int q = 0; q < SquareGrid.DIRS.Length; q++) { NodeElement node = PathfindingMap.VecToNode(cur.x + SquareGrid.DIRS[q].x, cur.y + SquareGrid.DIRS[q].y); if (!searchedNodes.Contains(node)) { i++; searchedNodes.Add(node); if (node.Passable(this)) { return node; } } } cur = searchedNodes[i]; } while (cur != null); return null;}}
and don't tell me to use the profiler, without it shit just slows down, if i turn the profiler on, when the slow down happens it entirely skips the frame and doesn't actually show me which part of things is taking up all the processing power

and the particular profiler issue only happens when i have most of my units selected (24)
if i just do it one by one it doesn't stand out and the profiler doesn't show anything out of the ordinary

That looks nice and simple. Keep it up, fam.

I also copied was inspired by Hotline Miami and felt like making some top down sprites. For what I'm not sure yet, though.

Get the hell out of here denton.

Unreal Tournament, the song is Botpack #9. Vid related.

Thanks.

I dig it. Things look nice and clean, pretty clear where everything begins and ends.

AGDG I have a question. This isn't related to making a game, but it is related to modeling and rigging, so you guys will hopefully know a thing or two. I really want to make alternate skins for warframe and maybe get them in through the steam workshop to get some goyim points. I wanted to ask, how hard is this and what programs does it use? Just to make a model swap and put it in the game. Do any of you have experience in this and have made workshop items before? I just want to make skins for my framefu.

That wasn't really the intention but I can see it.

You should be able to do everything fine in Blender. It might take some workarounds, though. Just don't expect to get your stuff officially accepted, from my experience it rarely works out.
You have good taste in waifus. Warframe is still a bad game.

HLM needs a good spiritual successor, keep it up.

Thanks, but at most I can do an art mockup and a story outline since I've never had success with coding. I'll try to keep going just for practice at least.

I was planning to do exactly that too; a halloween themed minimalist multiplayer game for Holla Forums. But I realize there's no way I'll have the discipline to get it done in time.

just make some game with skellingtons

Thanks. I see JC in those sprites too.

I forced myself by buying a server and domain already to bully my subconscious into making me productive.

I'm looking to have a model change shape gradually following a variable, think the pregnancy in the Sims 3

Any idea how that was done?

blend shapes

How hard would you say it is to understand how to make this work?

well i have no idea how it works
i just know it exists

that looks fairly easy if you already have the models
thanks user

fresh idea here:
A Hotline Bloodbath Kavkaz remake that overhauls the technically gameplay of a third-world clone, allowing for easier slideshow of old memes and EDM licensed from basement producers on Soundcloud

Can't you just play Hotline Miami?
What's the point

to remake a shit game and revitalize/strengthen the essential nutrients and ingredients of liver cancer

But it's a copy of another game
Just play that if you want a good version of a shit game

Wew

Well since I'm seeing all these motivational memes I might as well post some of what I've been working on. Trying to make a mod adding in a new faction for Kohan 2, it'll basically be a mix of the dungeon of from homm3 and 5. This is the basic pikeman, the troglodyte, or at least what i have now.

I'm hoping that last one fulfills itself by making me a dev

Has anyone been able to get Autocomplete with Unity using Atom?

is there any way i can get an A* path search to check if there's a reachable path to the target? like if the target is surrounded by a wall and there's no way to enter, the search will end up going through every possible node even though there's no available path, which is killing performance for me right now

What kind of datastructure is List? Is passable an O(1) operation? How expensive is Contains()? VecToNode()? Have you inserted some print calls to make sure that the function is interating the way you expect? Is the result correct? How often do you hit the null condition? How many iterations do you perform if you hit the null?

A* will try every possible way, since it's the only way for it to guarantee that some roundabout path won't lead to the destination.
If you want to quickly find out whether someone is reachable, you'll have to use another algorithm other than A* (or modify it for your specific use case).

Trying to find a path from the destination to the unit instead of the normal way around will resolve faster if the destination is in a small unreachable area, if you're looking for a quick fix that doesn't really solve the root issue.

You could try reversing the algorithm by running it from the goal.
If the area is smaller it will get stuck a lot sooner than if it has to traverse the entire accessible map
So it should be a pretty big time saver

Anybody here doing low-level engine work play with Quaternions at all? I've been working my old matrix skeletal animation into a quaternion system (for that delicious rotational interpolation), and dual quaternions are kicking my ass. Quaternions are cool, but as soon as they start talking about dual numbers, division rings, and screw axis displacement, I'm losing my fucking mind.

Iv'e done a handful of tutorials, mostly to figure how different Blender was from the 3DSMax stuff I learned in highschool a few years back. Outside of that, Iv'e been just looking up how to do things as the issue or need arises.

If not for the large thighs, that model would look like something out of runescape.

Here's my daily "anyone want to team up and work on something" post.

Want to make a Darkest Dungeon 40k mod?

fuck you leatherman

Looking more for a full game development project. Sounds like a cool idea though, and I hope it turns out well.

You've just made an enemy for life.

I also have a version for weirdos. probably going to delete it

Better version tbh

i think the issue ended up that i was telling the A* search to go to an unreachable location, i just assumed that it would be reachable

reversing the search seems to have worked
collision still looks retarded but it works
framerate is stable now

1 boob?

knew I should define it more. will fix

What sort of stuff do you do?

what can you offer to the project, an idea? you can code? draw/model?

I can texture and navigate most 3D modeling software (though I suck at modeling). I've worked as a writer (though not in games), and I've got experience with several musical instruments and FLStudio11.

As for ideas, I've got a few that could still use some fleshing out. I've done more work on some than others.

-A turn-based tactical RPG in a fantasy setting with a focus on an in-depth class tree and skill system.

-A Resident Evil-style survival horror game with a HEAVY throwback setting to 80's slasher VHS flicks.

-Some kind of co operative survival game. Not DayZ shit or H1Z1 shit or stuff like that. I'd like a more Space Station 13-inspired game about working together to survive. Maintaining a post-apocalyptic bunker? Maintaining a station or planetary base? Something focused.

I can't offer payment or anything, as I'm not expecting to make money off of it myself. I just want to get some other devs around /agdg/ who aren't SJW fucks that would be willing to work together on stuff to get some experience. I don't want to make people think I'm a project leader or anything like that. I just want to get people together.

How do i contact you?

If you're a cool dude, hit me up on Steam.

steamcommunity.com/id/JustCham/

Just wondering, What kind of music do you make?

I make like weird synthwave experimental music
my.mixtape.moe/kxygke.mp3

I like a lot of shit. I know that's really vague but there are very few genres that I don't at least sort of like. I mostly play ambient/drone/doom but I enjoy synthwave, classic rock, alternative, country, folk, psych, etc.

I would hit you up but I'm just an artfag.
If anyone wants pixelshit for their game, let me know.

And because I forgot to mention it, I like the track you linked. You'd be really helpful if we could find folks onboard with the 80's slasher flick game.

Now I know how Emacs users feel.

Well, I'm retarded.

I forgot to do a simple if (inuse) { terminate; } at the start each time the script is called, so a player can just mash use again and again and call the script over and over, eventually overflowing the game with lots of copies running at once.
During the second time around, you can actually see the game physically slowing down because it can't handle how many metaphorical cocks are getting stuffed in its metaphorical ass.

It's actually a really simple fix, but it looks hilarious to see in action.

If you released a game made with a pirated copy of gamemaker, would anyone know and be able to sue you?

Sometimes I wonder if the only reason I'm fine with using Emacs is because of how long and spindly my fingers are.

I rarely abandon projects, just put them into hibernation for an indefinite amount of time.

1. roguelite I'm still planning to do, but it's so similar to my main project that it doesn't get much attention
2. also still in the plans, some kind of idle game based on city management
3. was supposed to be a tiny MMO-like game, similar to Browser Quest. Still want to do something like that one day, but no plans at the moment.
4. second attempt at some kind of multiplayer
5. a clicker game that's technically finished (the end goal is to buy a golden castle), but I wanted to make it more involved

does it work with booze?

I wish Roly didn't draw so much obesity, furshit and futa. I remember liking him back in the old days on halfchan.

Thanks, That would be pretty awesome to do also.

Toying more with randomly generated terrain. Switched from step-by-step randomization to a seed, and I'm a bit surprised at how much easier it is to work with.

I'm also currently working on some GUI stuff. I'll probably post that here when I've got more to show with that.

Something is wrong with the chest and shoulders, but I can't put my finger on what, or how to fix it.

Any ideas?

select everything and recalculate normals (N)

well the shoulder's normals are flipped

It is like it has been pulled up only by the torso. Like when you pull your neck in, that is where the offput is located.

Ctrl + N to be precise.

I've got stubby fingers to match my stubby manlet body. I had to bind the i3 modifier to alt because using the Win key would leave me in pain with everyday usage, especially if I'm using 4+ workspaces.

Okay, that's be my fault for being vague.

I meant the actual shape and proportion of the chest look off.

Your arms shouldn't be straight down, not at your skill level, straight out is fine for you, I personally prefer relaxed a pose but T pose is fine.

So fix your normals, "a" to select all "ctrl+n" to recalculate normals to face outwards, if this doesn't work then you have connections between your faces internally.

This guy here has good topology, look at the way his chest flows into his shoulders, and how his fromt body isn't straight flat like yours, add in another loop, "ctrl+r" to loop cut and slide. His toplogy probably isn't ideal for low poly, you want to use as few gons as possible to achieve your silhouette and general form.

I recommend you delete the left half of your model and use the mirror modifier, it just means you only work on one side of your mesh,

my bad is right

do you have one for women?

pretty solid butt model. impressive.

80s slasher films definitely need more love, but an RE-style gameplay seems to go somewhat against that, what with the guns and rocket launchers.
Though depending on whether you're emulating post-RE4 or pre-RE4 controls, it may be more feasible.

What'd you have in mind?

???

right there with you. sorry I'm not much help. are you using GLM for math or are you doing all of the skeletal animations on the GPU?

sheeeeit I thought I was the only one who played that. Nice user.

One I did I think early last year, I can do much better now though.

I'm talking CLASSIC RE. Slow-paced, long buildups, jumbo atmosphere. Means of defense, let alone weapons or guns would be very few and far between, and the action would be fast, frantic, and not a constant barrage of shit. For a villain I'm thinking faceless maniac. Something like Jason or Leatherface. Solve puzzles, hide, and try to survive. Soundtrack of 80's-sounding synths and retrowave. Maybe even a toggleable VHS-noise filter over the game.

project cant be dead if it isn't off the ground!
GOTCHYA

joking aside, im currently working on a project in C#/MonoGame, and have been looking for a programmer to help take the load off so i can work on art and music a bit more

its hard to get people to work with you on things, especially if you cant pay them.
what am i supposed to do?

I remember you posting about this ages back.

I'd love to see it finished

REEEEEEEE WHY WON'T YOU WORK
am I misusing instance_find somehow

Not really dead, I actually finished but the games feel kinda empty and literally crashes in the long run, I even posted here on Holla Forums but nobody gave to shits, I really wanted to release on newgrounds but for some reason the html5 wasn't working correctly, so I fucking quit.

Dead because I realized it's way more fun to focus on making games that I really want to make then testing random mechanics

Not really dead, just on a really long hiatus, I'm considering remaking it on UE4, I just have to update my toaster

Maybe if you input a value 'n' in the instance find that is above the number of the instances in the room it'll seek an non-existent object then crash? Maybe the fruitCount is above the actual number of instances.

The webms didn't upload

That third webm has some nice ambiance.

Yeah, it was supposed to be a survival horror.

3rd and probably final update to the model iv'e been working on before the great storm comes and sinks my town beneath the grimy depths

I know that this is amateur game development, but has anyone here ever worked with a team before? Especially one that's well organized, and followed one man's vision, instead of being a clusterfuck of whose who?

i'd be willing to bet money on my RADICAL hypothesis, that this has never happened.

I have, although none of them were well organized and usually I was the only person to get anything done before the team quickly fell apart.
That's a shit way to do indie development unless you go solo.

Never really worked with a team before, but isn't that a bit counter-productive to not have a lead director or designer?

That's sort of what I'm (>>10884318) trying to do. I figure that unless you want to sit around in indie development all your life, you need to learn to work as a team and stay organized.

Not working on a game right now, just doing stuff for fun with C++/Dx11, like fractals, model viewer etc

Even as indie you need to have some discipline and organization.
It's pretty hard to get some reliable people together over internet and get them to work together and consistently.
Most of the time there will be communication issues or someone slacks off, hurting the morale of the other members etc

Drew the refs for the 3d models. Gonna draw close up refs for the skull, arms and legs, shouldn't take this long.

Delete and start over again, pay more attention to the reference I gave you, if you follow it's flow it practically assembles the model for you.

Yeah but the problem is being dedicated to one mans vision, how many of the games posted here would you be interested in working on?

If you could get past that maybe it could work but then you are back to my first problem of getting people to agree on what's to be made, then there's the obvious money issue, who gets how much money, and is the project even worth all the time and effort people are putting into it, the Indie market is currently crammed, I'm sure the market needs another platformer or walking simulator or story driven rpg, or puzzle game.

What exactly is wrong with it?

Well, I had a spritefag help me one time, we nearly finished a game, and I was doing all the programming and design while he made it beautiful. I don't know if this counts.

The easiest thing to say is everything, you're using too many polys to give it shape, it doesn't have a particularly appealing silhouette, the t pose is kind of shit, but I mainly recommend you delete and start over because practice makes
perfect.

is the dick rigged

I was making a low poly basemesh for DF Unity because I wanted to replace the games shitty old pre rendered 2d sprites, and I had no intention on going back on the games original nudity

No, I never got that far with him.

Bad topology, see me after class by yourself.

Not my model

I know, it was a bad joke implying lust after seeing magnum dong.

Nice to see you making progress.

no

alright, yesterday i tried reversing the way my A* pathfinding works, so that it searches from the goal to the start in order to look through less nodes
but for whatever reason it also had a huge framerate drop at random moments that the profiler can't explain, so i went back to the regular algorithm
the only way to avoid the framerate drop right now is to limit how many nodes the pathfinding can look through
my other idea is to search from both nodes until their frontiers intersect. is that feasible?

gamemaker used to intentionally destroy your assets if you pirated it

steer clear of that cancer

I need that augmented well hung cyber dong jensen pic. You know the one.

Yeah, but you're not guaranteed to get the best possible path. That's usually not so bad though, especially if the target is moving anyway or the route can get interrupted etc.

The most likely reason would be that the unit itself is an unreachable location for some reason. Best possible path's not very important in RTS anyway as long as you get something that's close enough and it'll likely be unavoidable hell on your CPU, so at some point you'll have to experiment with some nonoptimal simplifications. Maybe look at how other devs solved it, I feel like I remember that AoE2 pathfinding is explained somewhere by the man that wrote it.

i think i've got an idea
i got the search to save the closest reachable node
so if the search fails to find a path to the goal, it will return the closest reachable node to the goal.
and i also limited the number of searchable nodes to 500
so there isn't a visible framerate drop when going to something unreachable, and it still has a path in the end
and now i'm gonna make it so that once it reaches it's target, if it knows it wasn't the initial one and it's still far enough away, it will try to find a path to it
so essentially i'm searching for the path in segments

(1/2)
Whether you search from A to B or from B to A makes no performance difference in general. There are cases where searching from A to B is faster, there are cases where searching from B to A is and there are cases where it makes no difference. A* is a very simple algorithm. In general the performance will depend on how many nodes of your graph A* has to expand in order to find the path. That's where the workload lies.
Let's assume your map is a uniform grid with a size of 100x100 squares for simplicity's sake (walls themselves don't take up space). If your destination is entrapped in a 4x4 room, searching from searching from it back to you will be a lot faster. Why? A* searches until it either finds a path or exhausts all possible alternatives and has nowhere else to go. The room consist of 16 squares, while the outside consist of 9084. So of course searching from the destination backwards will be faster. If we entrap the player instead, the situation will be reversed and searching backwards will expand 9084 nodes. If we cut the map in half, it won't make a difference as both will have to expand 5000 nodes.
Bidirectional search works, but it's not commonly used with A*. You typically use it with breadth-first search (which is absolutely unacceptable for pathfinding due to the immense memory consumption). There's no reason why it wouldn't work with A*, but you're going to lose a lot of the benefit from it. Imagine that the player and his destination are separated by a wall segment that you can pass from either side. Both points are the same distance away from the wall. The weight of the graph on the player's side can make him pass the wall on the left side, while the weight of the graph on the destination's side can favor the right. They will search past each other and connect much later than they could, thus wasting CPU cycles and time. Furthermore, as already pointed out correctly, bidirectional search won't guarantee you to get the shortest path, which undermines the point of using A*.

(2/2)
No that won't work in general (you're close to the solution though). The thing with A* is that you absolutely need to let it finish. Before it finishes you don't know what the closest reachable node to the goal is. It is entirely possible that your destination is reachable, if you take an extremely long and roundabout route that A* only finds very late. You also cannot separate the path into segments without creating a whole lot of problems. Imagine the following situation:
Before the player lies a long corridor that takes you straight to the destination. Only problem is that at the end of it the door is closed so that it's actually just a dead-end that gets you very close to your destination. What happens, if that corridor is even a single node longer than your path segments can be? A* will send the player straight down the corridor, because it didn't get to reach the end and thus find out that it's a dead-end. If we assume that the corridor is a single node too long, the player will find out about the dead-end situation when he continues with the next segment. The only problem is that now A* won't have the time to get him back out of it anymore. In the end the player will be sent back and forth through a corridor he won't ever be able to leave.
The solution is to not separate the path into multiple parts, but A*. No one forces you to calculate the path during a single frame. So what you want to do is either multi-thread your game and have A* calculate the path in its own thread or (if whatever you're working with isn't thread-safe and making it would be too much work), use time-slicing. Put an upper limit to how much time your pathfinding is allowed to take per frame. You let it work for that amount of time and, if it doesn't finish, you leave all the data-structures intact (save whatever is on the stack, if you have to) and continue next frame.
How much time you give it, depends on how much performance you're willing to sacrifice at max. I'd use different budgets depending on the framerate the game runs at. Calculate some sane value (don't measure performance in fps, but do it like real developers and measure the frametime in ms). 30 fps (1000/30 fps) is ~33.33 ms. If you let your pathfinding add 2 ms, you get 1000/35.33 ms = 28 fps. At 60 fps your framerate would tank down from 60 to ~53 fps. At 120 fps your framerate would tank from 120 down to ~96 fps. 2 ms is perfectly reasonable for 30 fps gamers, rather bad for players who run the game at 60 and completely unacceptable for those who run at 120 fps.
Multi-threading would be the best solution tbh. Either way, this prevents the framerate from taking in case your pathfinding takes too long. Now it will create a delay where the player first needs a bit of thinking time before he actually starts moving.

so i just calculate part of the path in one frame, and the rest in the next frame?
how? IEnumerator?

I take it you're using Unity. If you don't mind feeding the GC, using a coroutine is fine. You want your code to be structured something like this.
// ...while (!finished) { // Stuff if(Time.time - lastStartTime > pathfindingBudget) { // pathfindingBudget is the amount of time per frame you have // lastStartTime needs to be set to Time.time before this is called again or it will always skip yield return null; // will skip and come back next frame } // Stuff}// ...
As you see, you basically have to break down your pathfinding into many small functions and add the above if statement. How exactly it fits into your code depends on its structure, so there is only so much I can help you from afar.

this is the actual A* script
pastebin.com/dwmXjxkx
when i need to find a path, i make a new AStarSearch object and call FindShortestPath from it. the actual cost distribution happens in the contructor
and aside from that, outside of the A* script i'm also doing some minor stuff like checking if we're already moving towards the same goal, or if the goal is occupied etc.
the only issue i'm gonna have now is that i'm gonna have to restructure the costs of the nodes, since i was directly putting the cost into each node rather than a new instance of the node per AStarSearch. if i do it like i did but with a coroutine, it's gonna mess shit up once i start doing multiple searches at the same time
i should be able to make it work though, if i'm doing it for more than a frame the added processing shouldn't be an issue

user would you mind uploading something that is ready to test? We're talking about quite a big refactoring here and I'd very much like to be able to run this script. You can rightclick and export the script as a package. Unity will allow you to select which of the other assets to export with it. Upload the result somewhere (please keep it minimal).

here's most of the project, minus a few models that aren't being used
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1laio2k4HufN0ZoTTh0Q3VsNk0
i think you just need to create a layer for the ground so that you have something to raycast when telling units to move somewhere
controls are the same as age of empires 2

oh you also might want to disable the red/blue units, the enemy retargetting is causing mild issues with the pathfinding atm
just disable their gameobjects, select the SelectionManager gameObject and click "Find troops in scene"

This looks rad as fuck
Can't wait to play it, man.

Gonna take the risk, laserdisk!

soundcloud.com/holofonoro/holofonoro-caverna-de-pincoyas

I'll get better, I promise

Are you using Deflemask?

Okay, this is going to take a while. I'm going to take some days and pretty much rewrite the entire part of the game. (Getting triggered really hard by those GC allocations.) You'll be able to get the code from here:
gitgud.io/TheSniperFan/astar-for-user
Just check every now and then. I've got plenty of other things to do at the moment.

Thats it
Im fucking dropping everything
I will leave my job next year
I will give up this fucking master degree, i don't need this shit
I will make my fucking vidya
See you guys in 3 years

What happened?

Don't be a fucking dumbass
If you have the drive, do all of those things

I'd be happy for you if I didn't know what a dumb thing it is to quit a job for dreams of game dev.

I'm disgusted by how much I relate to this image

i cant take it anymore, i have enough saved to keep me up for three years
if i dont do this i will be a wage slave forever, my free time i all spent on vidya, not on deving because im always exausted

(noice)
I still think it's a dumb life choice, but if you go with it, better make a good game, faggot.

good luck

Im sure i can make a game way better than Stardew Valley in 3 years, the market is there, if the game flops and i sell 7000~10000 copies at the same price (15 bucks) i will still make twice i would make in my current job

I have the skills, i don't need to spend time learning, i just need motivation and time

If you do, don't be a pussy and just laze about while working on vidya one hour every day, go full autist and pour every waking moment you have.
Go big or fucking go home, faggot.

(niceu niceu)
THIS

I know bro

Now if i can get my brother to do the same i will be 100% sure we can do it

It's easy to say that you'll change your ways when X thing happens, but it's very, very unlikely that you'll actually do it and don't revert after a day or two.

A harvest moon style game, without combat or mechanics that water-down the most important part: farming and villager interaction
Unique and extremelly deep cooking system (its already half done, it was a previous project)
Several of the village character are already in my mind
Fishing BoF3 style
Made on unity 3D

There is no way it can fail

So Stardew Valley?

its not a huge open world, quick action game
it will be fine as long as FPS stays at 60

Stardew valley has a meh combat that took a lot of time and effort without adding much (he had stuff like procedural dungeons and gave up) and a really really bad cooking system
I know i can do way better

I want to marry her.

I've seen developers make low-polygon walking simulators with flat shading that ran under 10FPS in Unity, don't use that as an excuse. Use an engine that's actually designed for your needs instead of Unity's terrible "one size fits all/jack of all trades, master of none" and you'll have a game that runs well on both low and high end hardware without having to deal with all of Unity's bullshit.

If you truly do know what makes for a good game and know how to discipline yourself it's doable. Sink or swim man, just keep that in mind.

Aim for a shorter dev time. LISA was made in 2 years I believe. And you might want to try making prototypes before you commit to something for 3 years that may end up not working.

im keeping each major system modular, specially cooking and fishing just in case

What kind of skills do you need? I can program C/C++ but do not know any graphics stacks. Is art the hardest part to learn?

People seemed to have the most interest in the 80's survival horror game, so I think that's what I'll spend some time fleshing out. If anyone's interested in being part of that, give me a shout.

Consider this my daily "Hey does anyone want to team up" post.

On a scale of difficulty
motivation > marketing luck > programming > music > art > yandere-tier programming

Actually:
motivation > luck / potential for sexualizing main characters > programming > art > music

ok fixed

Is it a computer game you're making, or a tablet/phone game?

When did runescape get so lewd

Computer. Deadline is 31st. No real plan yet, but most likely won't keep the titty monster version in. Maybe at the ending. Protag would probably be a jumping spider.

But, does it work? I mean, can you play it?

pic related

No, because I haven't made the Unity project file yet.

Writing should be at the bottom of that list.

Has anyone used irllicht? Is it any good? Assuming I'm fine with the programming part and don't like UE4 and Unity for various reasons.

Anybody have experience on Unity's WebGL-based games?

this. last month I did gamedev daily and only failed one day, most of the days I would do one thing or two just to put a checkmark in my day, this month I was going for 8 hours daily the first two day were great third was a total disaster (only four hours), fourth day I went back to full speed and now I'm sitting here five hours after wake up and only two hours of work.

for some context, I was a full time neet but i got a irl patreon and now I'm getting paid by the hour

Why has nobody discovered the secrets of motivation yet?

Just start working. Keep building your project one step at a time, and keep at it for maybe a year or two, more if it's big. Boom, your project is now done.

It shouldn't be so hard, right? You don't even have to do it 24/7, just several hours every day, maybe longer on weekends or whatever days you don't have school/work. You would still have time to watch a movie or shitpost in Holla Forums or play vidya every day.

But instead you can completely lose interest, want to work on something else instead, get depressed, lose confidence in yourself, feel like you don't have the skills to do it, get an intense feeling of being stuck or lost, being lonely, feeling like it's all pointless in the end, think that your project will be far below other people's projects, giving up before really trying as hard as you could have, subconsciously divert your attention to something else, browse websites over and over, hesitate to get back to work after a short break…

There's so many things that your brain can and probably will do to stop you, but most of the time there doesn't actually seem to be any reason for it.

Healthy lifestyles. Being tired all the time makes one useless. You really have to have a passion for what you are doing for it to be exceptional, and you can't have passion if you feel sick all the time.

Is cross-platform development with SFML a terrible idea? I know there are engines that export to all platforms automatically but could the same thing be accomplished with cmake?

The first thing to do is give up sugar entirely (except for fruit). It's hard but you'll have more energy after the first week pretty much guaranteed.

Also, quit masturbating!

Masturbation is healthy though.

No, it's not.

I have 24/7 chocolate out of habit, I'm going to try not eating it for a while.

If this fixes my lack of energy, I will find you and kill you, and then learn necromancy, resurrect you, and kill you again, for not telling me about this before.

If it doesn't work, I'll just put that into the list of other 8000 things I've tried.

Have you tried not bothering with placebo since that only works when you're retarded?

An IV drip?
Seriously, try it. For me it was coca-cola. Even though it's loaded with caffeine, you will have more energy without it. Sugar is basically alcohol that's metabolized in your liver instead of brain. It's poison.

Dude I'm ready to try fucking woodoo magic at this point.

I tried doing some simple running as exercise for some days, and I was pretty much bed bound during my free time those days because I was not able to stay awake anymore.

Whenever I try something new, for a little while nothing happens, and then I get a day or two when it gets a lot worse and I decide that the new thing isn't doing anything.

What is an IV drip?

I don't remember when I started eating chocolate, but for as long as I can remember I've had a chocolate bar on my desk. As soon as it runs low, I buy a new one. I never thought of it as harmful because I'm not overweight or necessarily unhealthy or anything, aside from never having any energy.

Jesus christ man. Cut out all processed foods from your diet and only eat normal healthy foods. Replace that chocolate with celery or a carrot or some fruit. I have enough energy to work two jobs and still get into dev work when I get the time. It's not easy but it's certainly worth it.

I barely eat any sugar. The only sugar i take in is through drinking slightly sugarized water so it has a taste. I still have zero motivation to do shit though. Might be related to
but i cant see myself being able to quit jacking off for more than a week. I already tried and i just go crazy after a while.

does this look alright?

the same applies with running, the first few days are bullshit then suddenly you feel healty times 10
I used to do halfK daily until i (unrelated) fucked my foot, I have to pick up that habit again now

masturbation is healthy, porn is not, do not quit masturbation, quit porn

while we are in the subject of habits I quit nail biting by triggering until I ran out of nails then I triggered it some more, It took me about a week of 1CCing various games but I have not nail bitten since learning to cut your nails when you are 20 is surreal as fuck

For agdg, should I focus on learning blender or cinema 4d? Is cinema 4d used in games or mostly movies? I have both.

Get a gf, import one if you have to. Seriously.

Which one is it? Do they still do it?

You say that like its easy if you have any sort of standards. I dont want some whore that will leave me at the first chance she gets. Happened before and i just dont want to deal with that shit.

It looks malnourished.

I know. Try importing a gf.

Im a poorfag though.

A bag of liquid chocolate injected directly into your bloodstream through a catheter. See , diet plays a huge part. The only real solution to motivation problems though is to just push through whatever's giving you trouble.

import gf

Error: module named 'gf' not found

Today I spent 5 hours figuring out how to make things clickable.
Yay, progress.
kill me

Yeah, I guess, why are you subd modelling though? It's generally good form to use quads only when subd modelling, I recommend you aim for better topology and greater detail.

Man the fuck up and stop derailing this thread.

Borderlands 1 spiritual successor?

Look on the bright side user: you'll never have to figure that one out again!

one down…

how do I level design?

All of the basic elements I want in my game are already there, but I can't for my life make a level that I'm contempt with, and it's a fucking plataformer of which I played pretty much a billion of, it feels like this shouldn't be as hard as it is for me.

PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE:

Implement flappy bird in one line of code.

Anyone who solves this is hired :%)

have the level make use of your game mechanics
it shouldn't just look pretty, but every obstacle/enemy/whatever you place should serve a purpose

It doesn't really matter which you use, you have to learn anyway.
If you aim to have a job as artist tho, i guess the the hierarchy would be
3ds Max > cinema4d > Blender
I put C4D over Blender because most studios use commercial software,
Beside that, every artist i know uses 3ds Max, Zbrush and Mudbox.

Here. Advice from two people who together have designed literally thousands of platforming levels.

How long can I make that line? :^)

Any length, as long as it's one statement (imports don't count)

Why is this happening, its godot by the way

So yeah. Let's do this.

classic RE-style survival horror game with a theme heavily influenced by 80's slasher flicks like Friday The 13th or Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc.

Is anyone interested in helping out? I've gotten in touch with a couple but more would be great. Nothing I'd like more than working with a team from /agdg/.

Are you using godot's built in collision detection?

I'm detecting the collisions with is_colliding()

I don't know Godot, but does your character have a proper collision box or is it just checking the point the sprite is anchored to?

I don't trust myself to commit to a team but if you get to the point of needing it, I'd love to take a crack at making some horror vidya music. Maybe some general audio design if I can get the time.
I haven't worked on anything in like two years, but I'm stepping down to part-time at my job so I can pursue other interests.

I think so.

What did you mean by this

Even objects that take up space visually still have a location that is a single (x,y) or (x,y,z) point in space. A 2D sprite is usually drawn with that point as one corner. Your gif looks like what happens when collision is checked against a point instead of a bounding box.

I know, I mean that's what I aim for, I think that's also part of the reason why it's so hard for me

Thanks guys, I'm checking the videos right now

wat

I mean, I'm not sure that's the issue, but it's the first thing that comes to mind whenever collision isn't occurring across a whole sprite.

Thanks, but it turns out that my problems were caused by everything being deactivated. I thought reactivating the fruit objects alone just before saving would do it, but it wouldn't work- maybe I was just using instance_activate_object wrong. At any rate it saves now, just before everything deactivates on pause.

I'm sort of proficient already with FLStudio and I'm a lifelong musician, but in my book, it's the more the merrier. Do you have any other game dev skills, even stuff you're not really confident in?

Generally good with things related to game logic and systems - AI, basic physics, and the like. In terms of the logic and math that is, I don't really have much familiarity with specific libraries. All my experience has been in the C family of languages. It's been a couple years since I've used anything but C11, and I've never used that in a gamedev context.
Also, I'm a shitty creative writer, but a good editor.
As I mentioned though, I don't really want to commit to a team thing, because I'll probably be the guy that flakes, at least with how busy I am right now.

Well, my last job was as a writer and editor, so that's fine. I understand about not wanting to commit, but it's more of a hobby thing anyway. I'm definitely interested in your understanding of C, as it's getting harder and harder to find people willing to cooperate using anything other than Unity or Gamemaker.

Here's the gauntlet. Still need to add the underhand straps which I will do after I finalize the gauntlet shape and I'm probably going to lengthen the section around the arm. As always, critiques and criticisms are welcome.

What is this armor be for?

Is Godot worth using?

This armor be for a game.
Specifically the main protagonist. Anyone playing the game is going to see a lot of these gauntlets.

Well I mean yeah, it's for a game, like obvious fam, but what game be these mess of triangles for?

It's free. Download it, fuck around for a while, and figure it out yourself. Worst case, you burn a few hours and learn something.

I'm coming back from a long break and man is it frustrating trying to remember how your code works. It's not even terribly spaghetti either, it just feels like it was written by someone else. I also realized I need to keep a detailed log of all the bugs and things to work on. Commenting functions with semantic errors is not good enough.

I'm playing with it now
It's really simple to export to multiple platforms and seems to work well enough
I'm just wondering if anyone here has used it, is it reasomably performant with gdscript, and how easy is it to use C++ with it?

I write "TODO" in comments if there's a problem or something I still need to do, but don't want to do it right at that moment. Then I can just search for those.

It's going to be for a sci-fi FPS where you run around shooting robots while trying to reach the next level of a space station you are trapped on.

meant for

import flappy:^)

Are your collision boxes all the same size?

Any music guys here know of any free resources I could use to try making some music?

What is your opinion on Unity?

If you want to work on your game but have a hard time to get to it, try closing your browser window.

don't lie to me.

progress report

Thanks, don't really have much to show since yesterday since I just spent the whole day reading up on stuff, but I'll try to work all of today.

it's all about knowing how to optimize, my boy

Do it, man, don't listen to the defeatist faggots, if you fail you'll just go back to a real job and nothing happens, but you'll know you at least tried your best.

that's gay, user

is that La Cegua?

wew. I'd love to see more of that but I'm a pervert so ignore me.

To be fair, working in an engine is the best way to actually make a game. If you let the programmers make their own engine or they use something like SFML or even pygame, the rest of the team will have a hard time actually contributing to the project.
Especially if you want to work in an environment that is somewhat close to real game development.
It is also way quicker and easier and honestly, i don't understand the hate that unity gets a lot of times. The C# recompiling stuff from unity is amazing, especially if you worked with UE4, where little changes can result in 5 minutes + compile time.
I also find the user interface a bit more non-programmer friendly or at least the people i worked with so far had an easier time with unity.

Personally tho, i'm more interested in making an actual engine. (That's what i'm currently doing, albeit only 2D.)
But if you want to make a game and have people of varying skill levels working on it, i think unity is one of the best choices.

How do main menu's work for big games?
Do i just wrap all of my game related drawing under an "if gamestate == playing", and updates under the same check in the update function?

No, just a thing loosely based on en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_(folklore)
At first it was just a pun of "night mare" cause it's like a horse or something, but then I decided to actually put some thought into it.

You'll have to wait user, I'm spending most of my artsy time on the model for now.

nah, that's too inefficient, you need to keep your menu in a separate scene and create/destroy it when they press a button

You what you should add to the model.

You know what to add, I mean. Fug.

It's much easier to do that when you have the engine's source code and don't have to deal with Unity's mountains of bullshit.

?

Hell yeah. And increased polycount and texture 'detail' in the important areas.

To be honest I'm aiming for a fairly low poly style, plus jiggle bones might be a bunch of hassle when I should be focusing on more important things right now.
I'll see what I can do after I'm done with the retopo, tho.

True, but it's also not some arcane magic, most devs just tend to only optimize so it more or less runs on their systems. I'm on 5 year old hardware and aiming for 90 fps minimum, hoping for 144+. It's mostly keeping the draw calls low and not triggering the garbage collection as far as I know.
You won't ever get the same amount of performance out of Unity as from a custom engine for that specific game, but you can get it to run alright if focus on it.

That's fine, don't take my suggestions too seriously.

That heavily depends on the person/s who make the engine. Firs, it needs a shit ton of time to make an engine. And i'm not talking about unity/ue4 style, with viewport, UI and drag&drop features etc, but just several modules who handle input, rendering, sound, loading/saving etc.
Second, you can fuck up way harder, like writing into memory out of your programs bounds, overheating your graphic card, memory leaks etc.
Third, just the amount of knowledge that you need to make an engine makes it unlikely that you find a single person, who has the necessary skills in all areas needed, to not fuck up. And if you find multiple people who are good enough to write a good engine, you will still have trouble getting them on the same page to actually work together.

Also, from my experience it's actually pretty hard to fuck up unity's performance even on older hardware. As long as you organize your code in a way that it doesn't do all of it stuff in update, set the right settings for static objects etc.

As long as you don't want to program an engine, but make a game, you should stay with a engine. If you, like me, like to program the underlying systems, than sure, go ahead and make a custom engine, just don't expect it to ever be better than unity, ue4 or cryengine. (Which is actually decent as i recently found out.)

Yeah, I suppose that's true, too. Either way, my point is that using Unity doesn't mean the game is gonna perform badly.

Oh, i guess i got the wrong impression, thought you wanted a custom engine because unity is to slow for you.

Nah, that was the other guy. I'm saying you won't get absolutely perfect perf from Unity, but it's not bad like people are making it out to be.

Colors are still a fucking mystery to me.

Make everything monochrome, tell sheeple it's supposed to be like dem Gameboys.

I think the top one looks good for how few shades you've got, bottom guy looks a bit of a cheeto. That left shoe looks a bit floppy too.

But that's boring.

I tried to make the lighting of the bottom one seem more dim, but I don't really know dick about light and color changes.
The left shoe bothers me too, I'll fix that.

I can't believe John Wick is fucking dead.

Any resemblance is totally accidental. :^)

I make a gamestate class and derive both the main game and a menu class from it, then derive specific menus from that. Then have an engine object that keeps track of the current state as a pointer and calls Display() on it every frame, feeds it input etc.

???

He's pajeetposting user

Are you implying that I can't have a sci-fi setting where the main character wears medieval looking armor? :^)

Isn't it to well written for that

But I'm already making EYE 2.

Well, I'm not making something that could be considered a direct squeal to E.Y.E. so we hopefully won't end up with the same game.

If you mean if the duck and the small little cube have the same collision box, no. They aren't the same size. The cube just has a square collision box and the duck has one formed around his body.

What happens when you make them both just a single square overlapping the entire sprites?

neither am I

same issue

Better than directly squirting at E.Y.E.

Ey devs, bit of a more artsy question, but still kind of general

How do you get that 3D, "Nineties Arcade machines + PSX" style of graphics and sound?

(checked)
Definitely low polygon count and appropriate texture resolution. Hmm I don't have the hard numbers for that but I guess maybe below 2k triangles/1k polygon. Warzone 2100 polygon count was below 512 triangles.

No Anti-Aliasing, some texture filtering or even none and some mip mapping. About your sound question I do not know about it.

I'm using the built-in Assimp classes, but I'm migrating over to GLM, because I'm going to migrate off of the format I'm using (Collada) probably to a protobuf-based binary format.

You'd need a vertex shader and convert all vertex positions to something with smaller precision. I'm not 100% sure but I think the psx just used integers for graphics calculation.
For textures, just google a bunch of old games and try to figure out the right resolution for your game.
for sound, I have no idea, probably a low bitrate with shit compression

Low poly models, pixelated textures, no lighting (except simple shadows under objects), whacky UI graphics, and saturated colours. And what said.

Ok, I can't box model for shit.
I'm trying to get the thing to match the sketch to make sculpting less of a pain, but I seem to fuck up whenever it's time to add any sort of detail like the breasts.

Very interesting responses, many thanks

im not that good at blender myself but maybe bezier curves could help you.

thanks for the input, im gonna test an idea for a main menu i had, probably using eNums, but if its too much trouble ill go brush up on pointers for C#

low poly modeling, try to use texturing to give it some depth, or just blatantly make it look as shitty as posible
and say its 8bit

It's believable but it's just really unorthodox, so it's easy to doubt you.

Looks fine as a base to sculpt from, just assemble it in pieces

Does anyone know of any good isometric art tutorials? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what size & shape to use for tiles and the "proper" way to create an isometric tileset.

Not really sure if this'll help at all.

gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-isometric-worlds-a-primer-for-game-developers--gamedev-6511

This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for right now. Thanks, bookmarked.

Alright, got it to acceptable quality. hopefully it'll go smoother now. expecting the sculpt to take like 10 hours, I'll try to work on it as much as possible but you never know with my laziness.

I think they're good for getting simple patterns into 3d, something like a body has too much variation in all axes. I might use those for the engravings in the skull though.

You should consider posting a screenshots of your sculpt to /3d/ while you are working on it if you want some feedback.'

You're using dynotopo right?

Yeah, and breaking the model down into parts.
I'll admit though, I don't post much outside of these threads, isn't /3d/ kind of dead?

Yeah it's dead because people don't post, but I check it every.

I mean I check it every day, not every. I'm not even a grill I don't get .'s

This is what I'm doing right this second, taking a break from making a large array of high quality clothing for characters, that's a lot of work and I have yet to make a skellington.

nice skeleton

Nice I don't know what that is.

LMMS if you like FL Studio
Ardour if you like Cubase

Musescore is very good and with active development

OpenMTP
Famitracker for muh NES music
Deflemask if you'd like arcade, PC Engine, or Genesis music (or NES if you're on Linux)

PXTone (PTCollage) is a tool made by the creator of Cave Story for making music for the game. It's easy and to use it works great on Linux under WINE as well

this thread's dead but I might as well post progress before sleep

New thread