Final Fantasy

I never played a Final Fantasy game anymore, should I? Is it a good series? If so which game should I start with? Normally I just start from the first game and continue, but I know this series has shitload of games and I don't feel like going through like 20 games

I know nothing about these games. Years ago my friend bought a FF game for his PS2 but it turned out to be Japanese(or Chinese maybe) so we couldn't play it, it's my only experience with FF. I also know this woman exists in this series somehow because a faggot used to spam her here

In before you know who arrives

It is the single greatest human achievement. Start with Mystic Quest.

Honestly, the series suffers from a huge identity crisis. Every entry tries to reinvent the wheel, so each entry has major flaws.
I recommend playing this order:
I, IV, V, VI
If you liked the increased focus on story, play all the other entries. If you didnt, skip to IX, but dont get your hopes up. Then, play the Dragon Quest games if you havent. Theyre a much better series that has a better approach to story and innovation in mechanics

Start with All The Bravest, should ease you in nicely.

No.

Not anymore.

I enjoyed playing 7.
1 is great on your cellphone.
13 has excellent visuals and is only playable on PC because the English dub ruins the game.

I have not put much time in any other FF games and I had a great time with the three of the series I tried.
13 is much easier than the other ones if you just want to relax while you're playing.

It's not just the dub.

I second with a special mention to V and IX because they're the only ones I can still play without beginning to cringe hard

I, either NES, WSC or PS1 versions, nothing else.
IV, SNES or PS1.
V, SNES or GBA.
VI, SNES or GBA.
VII isn't bad if you disassociate it from the crap that surrounds it and its public perception.
IX is solid but the story breaks apart in the last third.
X has the best battle system but everything else sucks ass except for Lulu's tits.
XII is a game of could-have-been's but some people seem to think it's amazing purely because of one guy who quit development half way through.

FF hasn't been good in over 15 years. Chances are, the slow pace and retarded writing will put you off, regardless of which one you play. If you insist on trying one, play 4 if you prefer story, or play 5 if you prefer mechanics. You can branch out from there on the off chance you like them.

Avoid anything XIII

You can ignore the rest.

I like X a lot, surprised no one mentions it.

Start with one of the SNES games and don't play anything past 9. 1 and 3 are good, but there's no real reason to play them now because 5 does everything they do but better. 7 is just a solid JRPG, nothing more nothing less. 8 is an odd case. It has some really good aspects, or rather good ideas, but overall it's a giant mess. If you want to give it a try, wait until after you've played 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9.

I forgot to add, 9 is really good. It would have been even better than 7 if the combat wasn't so slow.

Some faggot I know called Lightning "everyone's waifu" and that Square Enix set the bar for good game writing.

The first 3 games leave a lot to be desired. They have some wonky mechanics, obtuse logic, and unusual difficulty curves that can make grinding mandatory.

FF4, 5, and 6 are damned near perfect, in my opinion. More than any other games in the series, I feel like these 3 defined the whole feel of what Final Fantasy was supposed to be. FF6 especially.

The Final Fantasy series only ever came under the spotlight because of Final Fantasy 7, which was a massive hit due to the weird mix of Jrpg aesthetics and cyberpunk.

Weeb puritsts hate it, for the simple reason that eventually the FF7 fans looked back at the rest of the series and blurted "what the fuck is this shit, why are you playing this gay princess stories". Don't end up like them: play FF7 and leave the shitty rest to those poor sods.

I'll bite

you're a faggot OP

I knew neo-Holla Forums had shit taste, but jesus fucking christ.

I've been playing through VI/III for the SNES lately, and while it's fun, it's one of the original meme games. It's super easy, poorly paced, has a pretty spartan storyline (so far, I'm at the point where Terra goes super sayin and flys off and you have to track her down) - most characters are pretty under-developed, with only a few having any real connection to the story, a lot of the scenarios are seemingly random toss-ins and don't fit well into the overall "lore" - like the Ghost Train. Combat is a bit of a mess too.

Final Fantasy VII is where the series really started to develop some semblance of competent narrative and structure. If OP is going to start anywhere, I'd suggest FFIX.

There's better classic JRPG series out there. I'd suggest Chrono Trigger or Phantasy Star IV.

This isn't an Ogre Battle thread, genius. FFT has no place here.

You aren't even a quarter through the game.

every time

FFV is the best FF. Here's why:
There is nothing good offered in a Final Fantasy game that is not offered better in FFV.

Fuck man, it's getting cancerous in here.

watch some vids on it first, though note the style and gameplay changes up with each generation of console and sometimes every installment

The one constant is the music is usually very well done, in 13-1, 13-2, 13-3 it is the star of the show. I can't say I hate or even dislike any of them though jpop and fanservice coming into play has lowered the enjoyment and quality of entertainment in later games

I am looking forward to playing the remaster of part 12 as my ps2 started acting funny and never finished it.

There are better games out there, but because the styles change, you may find that one that does it for you. I like FFVIII the best, and got a lot more out of the three parts of 13 than most people, but usually only pay less than ten dollars for a sealed copy when I see them on sale

That's been an option since FF4 dude.