Are there any video games that did the whole "dark and edgy reboot/sequel" right?

Are there any video games that did the whole "dark and edgy reboot/sequel" right?
I personally think that the whole Megaman to X to Zero escalation is quite logical and natural one as the ideas and themes of one series evolves into the ones in the the next.
It kinda loops back into Legends with weird ZX sub-series, but it's still there.

On the other hand Bomberman on x360 is obviously bad attempt at reimagining old kid-friendly classic.

Other urls found in this thread:

thewrap.com/bryan-cranston-compares-power-rangers-movie-to-dark-knight/
gamesradar.com/the-power-rangers-movie-gives-rita-repulsa-a-modern-and-edgy-makeover-says-elizabeth-banks/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

MMZ was more serious than classic MM and X, but i wouldn't say edgy.

Zero is just your average brooding animu protagonist, he still saves the day and helps everyone in need, he's not really an anti-hero or anything.

the intro cutscene in bomberman sells it

When you don't cringe, it means that the whole edgening is done right.
If you look at it MMZ is much more darker than MMX overall.
Humans are wiped out except for one single mad brain-in-the-can scientist.
Robots are forced into painful convertion into what is essentially neo humans. In zero series we are shown transitional state, where robots still have limitations like inability to age or give birth naturally, but already are capable of free thinking which makes it kind horrifying.
Oh and whoever is fighting now, it's fighting your own kind, not some race war that we witnessed in X.

Zero himself is also much more tragic character than his part iteration. In the end he was just a copy, he didn't lost any memories because he didn't have any to begin with. The whole bullshit about souls and heart given him by X would only be bought by a kid or an absolutely desperate zero fanboy. That was very poor attempt at comforting somebody who learned that he's not fucking real.

But all of that is pretty subtle and tastefully delivered so you won't even notice if you don't pay close attention.

I never really understood this whole part about MMZ.
Like are cyber-elves reploid "souls"?
Or the next step in reploid evolution?
It's pretty confusing.

Reploids have their AIs right? You know brains. If you take brain out it can still function theoretically.
Cyber elves are such digital AIs stored in some wireless cyber space that covers the planet.
Or some shit.
Except average cyber elf to reploid is what megaman to X, an AI without free will and all that. The only truly sentient and sapient AI is X.
In ZX they are somehow converted into bio metals, and the whole cyber elf thing doesn't exist anymore. Or so I think.

You could argue that copy Zero has AI from the original one in him, but then it wouldn't make sense. Ciel just copied Zero, she didn't transfer any data from him, so the one we play as doesn't have memories and experience, basically what makes a person, of the original in him. Since the original body also lost it, we can safely assume that good ol what-am-I-fighting-for Zero is long dead.
The point is driven home at the end of Z4 where copy Zero outright state WHAT is he fighting for and annihilates Weil's ass.

Well this turns into the whole "every time you use the transporter in ST your original dies and what comes out from the other side is just a copy" kinda argument.

Anybody have those effort posts on the megaman timeline from last week?

Problem is Zero's consciousness/personality/memories/whatever makes one a person isn't copied/carried over into new body.
He is an entirely new character, compared to Black Zero from MMX2, where he has new body, but his personality is copies so it might as well be him.

I haven't play SH, but can it really become even darker?

Not really.
It's just a different take, i wouldn't call it any darker than any other SH game.

not really I was just throwing reboots that came to mind out there

Jak 2 switched from a plucky collectathon platformer with a voiceless protagonist set in a mostly-rural fantasy world into a third-person shooter set in a grimdark dystopia future after the protagonist got tortured and experimented on for 2 years.

It worked out great.

Jak 2 was pretty edgy, as a kid I loved it.

But that's wrong. 4 clearly goes on to show there's fucking more, and Neo Arcadia alone is the last bastion.

But that's wrong, again, since 4 again.

Off tangent, but why the fuck didn't X hop back into his body to fuck up Elpizo instead of dying in a shit fashion?

Can we count the power rangers? It's a child friendly series that's getting a literally dark and gritty reboot.
thewrap.com/bryan-cranston-compares-power-rangers-movie-to-dark-knight/

gamesradar.com/the-power-rangers-movie-gives-rita-repulsa-a-modern-and-edgy-makeover-says-elizabeth-banks/

Titan quest to Grim dawn, technically. It's the same game but better in every way.

I really hope that the CG is really as shitty as it looks in that poster

Mind you all those leaked concept art turned out to be accurate so far. There good chance will see grin dark mega zord battles interplice with 9/11 symbolism

I don't mind shitty CGI. And I absolutely don't mind over edgy old school toku reboots. Tatsunoko ones are absolutely fantastic.
But made by westerners? I doubt it will be anything decent.

Ciel and her kind are not humans. They're the first or near it of generation of human-like reploids who can eat and shit but still are incapable of reproducing or aging. You should speak to optional NPCs in the hubs across all 4 games to grasp that.
As for Zero being tragic hero or not it's a difficult question. He's fake and impersonation of some ancient heroic figure, and that being forced on him by others. At the same time he doesn't give much shit and just makes sure that Ciel can smile at least one more time. And it's pretty obvious he enjoys his job.
Depending on your point of view copy Zero is much more happier and well-rewarded person compared to the original, who was all sorts of fucked.

Shame on me

I was going on about being a copy, he's still the same Zero but in a different form (unless mean literal, then yeah). He doesn't have to worry about mavericks and shit, it's arguably easier to justify the actions in MMZ 1-4 than any MMX, so in that regard he's probably happy.

Muh nigga.

Was just about to post that but then saw that you already did. Burai did nothing wrong

There should be more good toku games that aren't super sentai or kamen rider.
I really fucking want to discuss muh toku, but I only visit Holla Forums

Yeah, they took that Teen rating and they ran with it.

Does BOF5 count?