My favorite thing about Runescape is the wide variety of skills and, believe it or not, the grinding...

My favorite thing about Runescape is the wide variety of skills and, believe it or not, the grinding. Are there any games for consoles that have a similar kind of skill system that is as vast and includes things like fishing, cooking, etc? I'd think I'd have the most luck in other MMORPGs but I'd be really interested to know if that description applies to any console or computer single-player RPGs.

The closest I can think of is Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim actually. But I'm sure there are others. Help me out?

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=788435
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Okay

No.
Closest you're gonna get to something with a ton of skills like that and grindy as fuck is Mabinogi.

Not entirely sure about the rest of the series since I've only given the remake of the first game a go, but Star Ocean: First Departure has a big assortment of skills to acquire and level up. Some are directly combat related, others more focused on non-combat functions, and some are a mix of the two. You don't exactly level them by performing them, either. You first learn the skill at a guild, and then you dump SP into them (gained through level your characters up) to level them up. Various skills can also be combined for better functionality, such as being able to identify unknown items.

I watched a video today from a very popular RS video maker, talking about old videos he found of playing RS back in 2005-2006.

It hit me like a wave of nostalgia.

Nothing will top playing this game for the first time as a noob back in those days.

Nobody really knew anything, it was a tried and true adventure.

Part of the reason why I burned out of OSRS is because I know everything now, I know the best training methods, I know efficient money making methods, so it kills the exploration part of the game.

I played OSRS until the point when all I had to do was grind for levels, and then I just kind of got bored and gave up on it.

Is it a good game? Worth playing?

Elona. It looks like an old homemade 1990's PC game, has a shitton of skills, and is a single player roguelike/rpg game that lets you hoard all sorts of shit.

You can have ranches for breeding monsters, farms for planting seeds, houses for living in and shit, and museums and shops and more. There are a few normal races which you can play, but by editing the game files you can make EVERY race playable by simply changing a 0 to a 1 in a config. Every race as in, every kind of monster and every kind of animal; slimes, bats, dragons, cats, undead, machines, and other crazy shit.

Skills include shit like fishing, cooking, mining, tailoring, alchemy, carpentry, jeweling/gemcrafting, casting, negotiation, weapon proficiencies, healing (as in HP regen), and some other shit like meditation, stealth, memorization, and a metric fuck ton more.

Like there's pickpocketing and gardening and other things, but really if I were to list every skill it'd probably take me forever to remember them all.

There are a ton of spells in the game which level up as you use them, and magic is actually incredibly powerful at the cost of you owning spells temporarily and having to "recharge" them so you can use them again. Think of it like runes in Runescape, but instead you have to read limited-use spellbooks to recharge your stocks.

The game is amazing, although a little confusing at first. If you're going in, I'd highly recommend picking Exorcism or whatever, and maybe even Poison Touch as your first skills. Exorcism is the most important though for a newbie as it prevents your equipment from getting cursed, which makes them have debuffs and makes it so you can't take them off.

Practice around with the game for a bit and play around with different characters and races before you settle on something you wanna stick with; you can always mate with a wife and have a child that you can play as though, so you don't need to stick with a character forever. Just remember that the marriage thing comes a little bit later down the line, so it's still good to choose something you like for your main.

Download Elonaplus, which is also known as Elona+, and make sure that it has Elona Custom out for it, as it's basically Elona++. The game is some good shit and I'd highly recommend it to someone who likes Runescape and Morrowind. It has an atmosphere similar to a bizarre, distorted, and surreal Maplestory/90's JRPG with a feel that it was made by a fan of anime back in the late 90's/early 2000's (which it was iirc)

Seriously go get it; I'll keep this thread open if you need any help. Shit's free, so no harm in trying. Just expect to spend a bit of time on the character generation screen, so, don't waste too much time on a character you're just gonna ditch; spend time working on a character you're going to play a lot, instead.

Again I'll be here if you need help, at least for a bit. I might be gone at some point though so, I'm sorry if that's the case. But yeah I hope you have fun with Elona; it's a very solid game, and I could also recommend something like Mabinogi or Rune Factory 4 as well. Elona+ is still the best option though, as far as I'm concerned.

Alright, I've actually been wanting to look into Alona+ for a while. If I have any questions I'll ask you, I should be able to figure out the game on my own because I'm not a buffoon though. Thank you for your detailed response.

I haven't played Runescape in a long time (and I'm not sure if I ever really want to go back to it), but something about it, at least the older incarnations, still does a lot for me. Especially going back and finding the old music on youtube or something.

Wish I could find more of the official art they used to have, but I'd swear the bulk got purged when they switched to RS3.

It's a JRPG series with real-time combat. The second game (Star Ocean: The Second Story on the PS1; has an extended PSP port called Second Evolution) seems to be a favorite among fans, but again, I've only played First Departure some as of now. Seems pretty enjoyable so far (might help that I'm using an undub; I don't usually mind English dubs too much, but a good amount of people seem to make a point about the PSP dub of SO1 and redub of SO2 being subpar), but I do notice I find it a bit tiring. Might be because I've been stuck in a stretch of the game with no healer for a while.

Also worth mentioning that while the series is ostensibly space involved, the game takes place on an underdeveloped world still using swords and knives and other low-tech arms (the spacefaring humans do have guns, among other things, but there's a lore reason for why they're unable to be using them on Roak). So don't be expecting lots of space travel or laser battles, or whatever, at least as of the first game.

I have a new wall paper

I'll contribute

Runescape is a fucking scam for number crunching autists.
It would take literal years to get all skills at 99 even at 2x exp rates

Thanks, been looking for more old official art for a while, and the ones up there were all I could really find.

bit of a shame that they'll never be available at higher resolutions

Hey Elona guy, I have a question. Is Elona Custom supposed to translate everything or am I stuck with having a few screens untranslated?

For example

Nevermind I reloaded and it's completely different.

why live?

Make it, user.

It's ambitious as fuck. The game I'm planning right now is not nearly as ambitious but might still be too much for me.

this is as close as you'll get

It was shit back then and I can't imagine any way it isn't shit today

I miss her, Holla Forums. Listening to the old music brings back too many memories.
Are we here just to suffer?

I really liked how Runescape's quests generally felt like something beyond the usual "Kill X, gather Y" sort of MMO quests.

I've actually been playing 2011+ quests (and yes, I play RS3). I stopped around 2009 and it's actually quite amazing how excellent the quests have gotten. The typical puzzles and cryptic shit, but they actually have boss fights that are challenging and pretty engaging. The current Jagex team has focused more on lore but I personally don't find that a bad thing.

Praise be to our empty lord, Zaros.

Which OSRS private server has the most recreated quests?

I have not played a private server, but am sure people would recommend 4/v/'s server with 3x exp rates or whatever.
It saddens me to see no games even try to imitate Runescape's world building and economy. So many skills people rely on gives so much more unique memorable game play potential. Be glad they still update the game, it really keeps a game population stable.

Just play vscape

:^)

vscape only has a 2x xp rate. runecrafting is 2.5x.

It's fairly balanced and the economy isn't absolute shit, been going for a few years, decent amount of players.

just do it

Plebs

You're retarded, right?

is Zeah any good? I was gonna resub when it came out but forgot all about it

Is that your waifu, user?
She's cute but has an annoying voice. That chip out of her tooth makes me think she would really enjoy being beaten bloody before being forcefully impregnated.
If she is your waifu, I'll be thinking of you when I fap to her. Might even draw some oc of her and cum on it so you can have something to get off to, you fucking cuck.

She's actually an old man

But if you want more of her, watch Katanagatari. The ending will hit you directly in the feels and you won't know what to do.

I remember seeing the pipe at school when my friend showed me and laughing.

I'm looking forward to Albion Online if they pull it off

It never directly says that.

Well she does say she's a "Holy Man" and has been around for hundreds of years, pretty sure that qualifies as being an old man.

oh you fucking asshole dont remind me, I've been down for a few weeks after being done watching this show. Its fucking good but I'm not going tru the pain of watching it twice. Not again.

I feel you, man.

THAT FUCKING ENDING

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT SHIT

There should have been many MMOs that take Runescape's idea of game design and brings it further along, but even the games that appear to copy Runescape are actually even more like GenericMMO#523326342 than Runescape 3 is. Take for example Eldevin, the game looks similar to RS and even copies some of the holiday items almost 1:1 and has Runescape's party hats and shit, yet the actual game plays like the most unimaginative and generic linear themepark MMO would.

There was something extremely comfy about Runescape back in the day, it was so simple and to the point and fair and open in it's design and features, yet it had so much content that it was very difficult to run out of it. You were free to do whatever you want and go where ever you want, there was arguably nothing specific to follow in the game other than various quests that are completely self-contained and could exist anywhere in the world rather than on a predetermined path. No other MMO before or since has been like it.

But it seems that the more time goes on, the less even Runescape itself looks like Runescape. The visuals are getting more obscure and alien, the gameplay is getting more sterile and handholdy, and I even vaguely remember some of the new quests starting to throw gods and ayylmaos at your face with no effort required to reach that point, and they give you more and more lore to read to the point where you must be in the mood to read a book if you want to complete a quest and not miss out on stuff. It becomes harder to care when there's more text but it throws alien looking shit at you and tries to be big and significant instead of simple and relatable, some of them feel like the quest is just a hamfisted excuse to put soserious muhlore into the game. It goes further and further from the comfy and homey game it once was. Even the old school game seems to completely miss the mark.

There's something that big game studios get incredibly wrong about game design in my opinion, and I think the reason Runescape stood out was because it was started by 2 brothers at their home rather than a studio trying to make profits. The fact that games weren't as big as they are today probably played into it too.

I'm still hoping that I can do something similar one day. Start an MMO that's initially very small and simple, and then grow it bit by bit. But I want to actually design it to be sandbox-y and reserved. A game like voar.io is technically an MMO, it's not actually that difficult to make one. The difficult part is making the large amount of content that is expected of a "MMORPG", and the infrastructure to handle it all. But if you start simple and keep adding stuff over years, I think it's doable. After all Runescape did exactly that 15 years ago, and computers and dev tools have gotten massively better since then.

Everything you described is exactly why 2007scape is so popular and has such a stable and vibrant community, because Runescape circa 2007 was amazing. I was 10 years old at the time, and this whole world was just sort of there for me to explore… I probably spent an entire summer just leveling woodcutting.

I DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT ANY OF THAT

CHEERIOOOOOO

Age of Wushu has a lot of skills and a shitload of grinding, but a lot of it is useless and you can only use most of what you get while you're still tied to that faction.

No thanks.

I remember playing rs when I was like 12 because it was the best free browser game at the time that I knew of. I leveled mining and smithing to 50 each, found a loophole to buy a mithril pick from a vendor who was supposed to only sell to members or something, I forgot. I kept playing around until I got too bored of the f2p world and I dropped it sfor something like adventure quest, which my parents were happy to spend a one time purchase for upgrading.
Holy shit it feels so long ago

No thanks.

Fantasy Life on 3DS

It's essentially runescape + zelda

I couple buddies and I from college few years ago decided to take one night out and start a new runescape adventure together.

We never played it again after that one night. There was something about the appeal back then that just isn't a thing anymore

nig you what?

It's basically nuRunescape. You can own stores and buildings in it too.

That's not even possible, 13 years ago RS was in classic, all accounts that hadn't logged in since then were deleted.

You mean one of the two guilds who will rule over the entire map can own stores and buildings.

You have to go back.

This may sound like an odd comparison, but Touhou is similar in that regard. No matter how long you play, there's always a way to keep improving. Beating each difficulty and trying a higher one is like leveling, and after a certain point, you can play for score or do self imposed challenges. Replays and hiscores are like skillcapes.

Here's a torrent if you are interested: nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=788435

It's like you never played Haven and Hearth

That still means you'll have to be one of those two guilds, and you can't own shit unless you run that guild.

I think you downloaded the Japanese version instead. There should be an english version of Elona+ out there.

Thing with Runescape grinding is, it was very hands-off. You could relax, chatting away with your fishing buddies on the dock of Karamaja all day, without a care in the world. Just lay back, and relax after a long day.
Because of this game, I've got a permanent love for fishing in games. Sadly, its rather rare, and when it is thrown in, often it's either too complex or too simple. I don't want to stare at the bobber like a hawk, and likewise I don't want to just push a button and fish show up in my inventory.

Games that do this have given me permanent loathing for anything related to fishing.

Fishing is supposed to be relaxing, not stressful. These things give you a tiny fucking window to reel in.
It sucks.

Is there any game on ps4 where you can grind for hours and min/max everything except from Diablo 3 and Disgaea?

You watched a friend's video too?

It has interesting things, Tithe Farm is a cheap farming training method. You can kill Lizard Shamen for a chance at a dragon warhammer which goes for 80m. Wintertodt is a firemaking/woodcutting boss that has OP drops and the Arceuus spellbook is a really good prayer training method.

Owning a PS4 is exactly what you're looking for. You grind and do min-maxing by waiting for months to upgrade from a 6.9 game to a 7.

Animal Crossing fishing was good I thought, because of the variety and all the flavor text. Whenever skills like these are in games, their quality is dependent on how much thought and effort the developer put into them. That's why Runescape was so amazing, every skill has days worth of time to put into it and unlocks a myriad of different things to explore.

Does anyone in here possess a large disposable income in order to create a small comfy video game?

No. Try Wurm Unlimited, has about 200+ skills

I think you mean shitting on the lore entirely, mate.

Nice meme

Zeah is fucking awful; it honest-to-god includes reddit memes, and I'm not pulling your leg about it.
Quite literally the only thing on it which hasn't immediately made me retch was the reference to Enoch Powell's 'rivers of blood' speech by having an NPC named Enoch next to a, well, river of blood.

I think the Draynor village is the most nostalgic-heavy place in runescape, how about you guys?

My most fond wilderness experiences were in dark warriors' fortress, both in farming for the runes that spawned there and fighting people who go there.

COR ME BLIMEY MATE WHAT ARE YE DOIN IN ME POCKETS?

That show always seemed a little too "2deep4u" to me (even for someone who has watched all entries of the monogatari series) but I'm gonna watch it now just because of that qt.

Those graphics are so messed up. It looked better in 2005.

It'd probably have to be Catherby for me. I spent so much time fishing and cooking there. Even when I was high enough level for fishing guild I'd stay in Catherby because it was so alive.

there are a few people still playing OSRS in the 8ch cc

i just got quest cape last month

and now im trying to 99 cooking by cooking sharks

Not single player…but you might like Project Gorgon then, it is free right now while in alpha.

Gorgon is just wannabe runescape with shit graphics, and for some reason its OK to shill it here.

wonder how much they paid mark for the shilling right.

All is well.

But it isn't "2deap4u" at all. It's very easily understood, apart from the ending.

I still remember that first day I got membership years back, exploring past the gate west of Falador, finding Taverly, running my lowish level ass across White Wolf Mountain, and reaching Catherby on the other side. Yeah, that place was pretty much always comfy and busy (at least on populated worlds), between the bank and people congregating to fish or farm.

Thanks WoW.

Anyone remember Kingdom of Loathing?

I started playing again recently. It's pretty fun, but item drop % is hell

Wurm Online/Unlimited

You're welcome.