What happened with FPS in 2007 ? How did it all go so wrong ?

What happened with FPS in 2007 ? How did it all go so wrong ?
How would you unfuck it ?

Other urls found in this thread:

sullla.com/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html
dpmaster.deathmask.net?game=urbanterror
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You should view the change in FPS games in the context of more general trends of target audiences and profit methods in video games.

2007 was just the year vidya really broke through in the mainstream.

Was the problem in vidya at all ? Or did it come from outside ?

It was the internet coming into the mainstream. Now the kikes run video games. Welcome to die.

Its commonly agreed 2007 was the year everything went to shit as mass appeal became a focus

Does anyone here remember what happened to the economy in 2008? think about it.

Normalfags started paying attention to tech in 2007 for some reason

Nostalgia goggles at their finest

Faggots realize that there was dosh to be made.

Wasn't it bloated garbage because they were clones?

Garbage wasnt popular though, aside from Halo

Badly made, repetitive and unimaginative clones, yes.

Shit on Overwatch all you want, at least it has some identity as a game which is something a majority of the genre lacks.

A fair point.

You say that, but what was deemed popular and even casual by the standards of those times required skill and was mechanically sound.
I can't say the same about modern popular FPS titles.

How would you unfuck it ?
make call of duty ultimate, so advanced it can download the newest call of duty version

Wow, another one of these threads. I don't even think the old one is gone yet.

That explains it
>>>/cuckchan/

Right? How many threads do we need about "hurr [this year] is where it turned to shit"

Do you feel threatened?

>>>/killyourself/

every time.
every time its that fucking year.

I never even played it because I don't like multiplayer games in general. As I said, shit all over it when it comes to mechanics, I couldn't even argue with that.

Oh look another one
What did he mean by this?

If you cherry pick examples, you can argue any trend you want. As satisfying as it might be to declare that 2007 is when the world of vidya went to shit because of these things that happened in that year, you can't make such a declaration without doing a decent analysis of the whole set of released games per year and defining some criteria for determining if a game is good or shit.

I'm not saying OP's trend is true or false - I still play some older FPS games, and I sometimes play some newer ones. But if you want to affect some change in the industry, you should make some kind of analysis to explain why Doom is good but NuDoom is bad. If you can't even make your case beyond "It's casual watered-down babbyshit for nintentoddlers", then you're gonna have to accept sometime soon that either your reasoning isn't as well-founded as you might like to think, or maybe you're just uneducated and can't formulate a decent argument.

Time to stop posting

everyone has the same rights to post here

mcfucking kill yourself asap

no they dont. shut up cuck

are you a moderator or a admin, can you enforce it? I guess not

(you)

How many "vidya is dead/i cant have fun anymore" threads can there there be at once? Why do they make up a quarter of the catalog at any time? Should there be a board for it?

Well he does have the right to tell others to stop posting, in return those people can ignore that and keep posting.

they are just exercising their posting rights, nothing wrong with that.

Indeed, I can agree with your sentiment.

Shh, you can't use logic here.

But in all seriousness, good analysis takes time and effort, and it's far easier to spend that time typing up sound-bytes on Holla Forums.

I re-read this yesterday after seeing some of the previews for Civ 6, wish more people did this kind of work.
sullla.com/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html

This is a thread asking how to unfuck FPS.
Now I know anime has dulled your capacity to comprehend things, but can you at least read ?

my dad works at the internet kiddo, i could ban all your ips from all sites of the world.

I really want to see that, too bad that your dad is too busy checking other local addresses.

There's nothing fucked with FPS. Just play old ones if you like old ones and play new ones if you like new ones, and if you like both play both.

I don't know what you're talking about, counter strike is still great. Who needs anything else?

OP, much like many other plebeians on this board, seems to think that once new games come out every older game in existence is wiped off the face of the Earth and that you're forced to play newer games regardless of their individual quality.

I'm not sure why showing a glorified tech demo gives you any credibility.
I am also not sure why you expect in depth analysis.

Have you actually played Crysis? I didn't post that picture to suggest that it's somehow a perfect counter-example to OP's posted trend, but I think calling it a tech demo is selling it short. Its campaign is about as long as a lot of older games (Halo is probably a good comparison), it's got a decent breadth of gameplay options and scenarios, and it's got a good toolkit for building levels - I haven't looked but I'd imagine there are a decent amount of player-made missions and mods. If you haven't played it, give it a shot. It's pretty good.

I don't really expect depth of analysis from Holla Forums, I'm just complaining because even though I tend to agree with OP, it's poorly articulated so nobody in the actual games industry is going to take it seriously. If people feel so strongly about games getting worse, spend the time making your case to people who can make a difference.

Not everything has to have a grand purpose.
I wanted to see if someone can point to another year when things get bad, or nitpick the images and suggest different time periods for the age of decadence. Or even suggest new good tiles.
All I got is people who think I made a *vidya is dead* thread.
You take what you get I guess.

Allow me to remake your image

That's pretty good.

Silver Age to mid-Bronze Age is the best.

I remember listening to this on repeat on my MP3 player.

Battleborn is better shooter than Half-Life 1, which got popular for exact same reasons as cawadoodie 4: the cinematic, easy-to-approach experience.

Err, half-life 1 doesn't have very many cutscenes.

What's wrong with Overwatch, other than the fact that weapon options per character are extremely dumbed down? If you gave each character two or three weapons more to choose from, you could get a fairly good game.

Cinematic =/= Cutscenes
nuDoom is cinematic
Half Life games are cinematic
Quake 4 is cinematic Ok, that one is a stretch

So with TF2 on its death bed and Overwatch being full of ASSFAGGOTS And costing money is there any "go to" class based online shooters to fill the void?

Define cinematic.

Focus on visuals and storytelling by taking control away from the player or restricting a player to sit in a little box while NPCs talk to you.
Bioshocks opening scene is a perfect example.

In 2007 everything turned into shit, not only video games. Even Windows. And Apple switched to Intel.

Eh, it doesn't take control away from the player too much, and the only time these segments happen usually is during chapter transitions(IE: """cutscene""" at the start of "We've Got Hostiles").

Paladins of course fellow anonymous

Anything with an actual fucking userbase?
If you're implying I'm a harbinger for shills to come you're mistaken, Mr. Sage

EDF

Call of Duty 4 was released and made shitloads of money. People follow whoever makes money, so then a bunch of shitty modern military shooters came out trying to cash in. Our current predicament is harder to explain considering how we're living in it and can't look back on it in hindsight, so I'll post my inane and most likely false theory.
So 2013, ASSFAGGOTS are making buckets of money and TF2's still making money, even more thanks to the Mann vs Machine update the previous year where tickets to play MvM gold were introduced on top of the existing crates. Gearbox, seeing how both make shitloads of money decided to mix the two together thinking that they'd make even more with Stillborn. Announced in July 2014 to several million views on youtube and cover spread on game informer, yet most likely started development at the end of the previous year or a few months before July. People, for some lovecraftian reason, like Gearbox because of "muh borderlands", and that game in itself started its own breed of cancer. So with that in mind, other companies started following with their own variations as quickly as possible so they can cash in as soon as possible, and this is including Blizzard. Consider how Titan was canned the same year Stillborn was announced, and how Overwatch, which "incorporated elements of Titan", was announced a few months after Stillborn.
So even though Overwatch is now the poster boy for this new breed of cancer and Stillborn is now hovering at less than a thousand players, it still originated with Gearbox, the professionals of ruining things.

The actual time the FPS genre went downhill was the crisis of ideas that allowed muh gritty and edgy WW2-themed shooters to metastase into everything like there's no tomorrow. That, coupled with the popularity Counter-Strike got, were the two sole factors that signed the death sentence of the genre.
Also note how complex, very difficult to master tactical shooters like Rainbow 6 and SWAT went pretty much unnoticed by the majority.

The time when victory of "realism", excessive scripting and railroading over the original FPS principles was cemented was not in 2007. It was whenever the first Medal of Honor or Call of Duty was released.
While Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Battlefield were criticised by FPS fans for much of the same - and did actually contribute to the genres' downfall - it was the emergence of those two series that made everyone see we're past the point of no return. Many still clung to hope that this is a flux, that everything will go back to normal, but as time went on and the voices of the old guard - our voices - were more and more drowned by the ever-growing barely literate, tongue-tied mass of yesterday chads, we had to face the next stage - bargaining.
Although it should be mentioned that the humongous popularity of CS certainly did create a fertile ground for this kind of shooter to flourish.

Now for more bad news: we can't unfuck it, and those who could will never want to.
The industry was creating the games that sold since at least the nineties. Anyone who remembers terms like "DOOM-clone" and "C&C-clone" need no further explanation.
The industry only changed for the worse since. We can get through to large publishers, to lead game designers and so on. But they don't want to go bankrupt in our beautiful modern world of cutthroat competition. They'll make what the overwhelming majority wants. And those fine fellas want what they're being told to want. Add mental inertia (they were, in fact, playing the same CoDs, BFs etc. for quite a long time so they just can't be bad), stir, drink, vomit uncontrollably.

Dont encourage him you fucking faggot
The game is trash, worse than ASSFAGGOTS

These terms were coined for another reason. During the early 90s it was basically expected that new game release creates and defines a new genre. So each genre was called by the game that created it and if you happen to have no original ideas for a new one, you did a "clone".
Nowadays creating those clones is the norm, because otherwise the mainstream wouldn't buy it.

Yeah, but I meant the sheer number of those who barely tried to hide the fact they're aping it. Heretic, for example, was a DOOM-clone through and through, but at least it changed some things. Most of the clones changed much less, if at all. They could've been called reskins nowadays.

You know what this pretty fair.

It hurts, it really fucking hurts
Still no submarines, still no underground sections, still no new gamemeodes aside from Rush.

Okay, what wasn't considered casual back then?

Remember all the shit we'd imagine as kids, when technology got better and computers got more powerful?

What wouldn't I give to return to those days of innocence.

>Every building destructable in Battlefield almost got that dream though
How sweet and naive I was

2007 was the time when Berenstain and Berenstein merged.
Now there is only Berenstain, and it is shit.

At least my non-vidya technology dreams came true. They mostly revolved around being able to easily get books for free from the internet, and read them in their entirety on the computer.

You only had to listen

Does that take into effect people that play nt using Steam?

How is TF2 dead? The game still plays perfectly fine and you don't see faggots with neon green beards and unusuals unless you go to trade servers.

Hes got bored of it user, its been 9 fucking years, soon to be 10.

The ultimate root of the problem is that the vast majority of people lack the capacity for higher ideals, and that they have stopped following the higher ideals set for them by their own elite, choosing instead to satisfying whatever base desires they have. So, any product which relies on mass consumption in such an environment will become more and more degenerate, because all it has to do is tickle the deteriorating neurons of an imbecile to sell. It is incorrect to say that this has always been the case, that everything has always been getting worse, because there are many bursts of growth which punctuate the rot. It is also incorrect to say that it is just perception, that nothing has been getting worse at all, because we can devise metrics to determine how much effort games require from the people playing them, and see that empirically, they have become easier, which is exactly what you would predict from the above explanation of the cause. It is also incorrect to compare mass consumed media/culture from this period with that from any other you choose, because in other periods the common man would be following the simplified steps set by his elite to pursue the higher ideals they held, thus what he demanded and enjoyed was something good, even if he didn't understand why.

Crock of shit. Original 2007 TF2 which was played without the shit that came with F2P was a great game, we know quite literally 0 about Quake Champions yet, so commenting on it now is a fucking braindead thing to do. There were pretty popular but slower paced FPS games like Rainbow Six and Swat 3 in 1998-2000.
Why are you listing Battleborn as a game that wants to gain popularity? It clearly failed.

Shooters games were killed by consolefaggots

You pick the most hardcore genre and fuck it up until mongoloids that mostly played turn based brainded shit start to like it

They're the precursors to modern FPS gaming. Go play CS:GO and Metro 2033 if you really miss those 2 games so much you little shit. They literally aren't any different from CS 1.6 and HL.

Btw, the genre isn't even dead. Games like ARMA are worthy successors to the realism focused 90's FPS games such as Delta Force. Even Quake Champions looks like it plays closer to Quake 3 than modern FPS from the footage.

There's been some leaks regarding Quake Champions, mostly with regards to leaked gameplay footage and some arena shooter players who got to playtest it talking about what they can without breaking NDA.

So far what it seems like is that it's mostly quake, but with an individual ability added onto each hero, more or less. There's a confirmation for a "classic" game mode, but it's not going to be focused on; I imagine whatever competitive "classic" dueling there is will inevitably be done by other parties and not Bethesda themselves.

Do those abilities ruin everything? Maybe. Maybe not. I haven't played it, so I wouldn't know. But from what I've seen, it seems more like a quake mod than it does Overwatch.

kys my man

Quake 2 sucked.

Quake 1 was good, but pic related is better.

It has been like that since Robert Altman replaced Christopher Weaver as Zenimax CEO and kicked him out of the company after Morrowind. Weaver wanted his company to make unique games for the niche but loyal audience while Altman is a greedy jew.

Consoles got casual-friendly multiplayer.
Hire slavs and metal fans, provide larger budgets/more vodka than they are generally given.

They're cheap and competent programmers with some amazing artistic sensibilities, but Survarium and Escape from Tarkovsky are abominations. With AAA budget, they made Bitcher 3, which is also an abomination. With Slav games, it all depends on the director and project leaders.

Metal music is absolute cancer. If Doom wasn't so metal, it could be a better game.

I agree. I'd probably have non-slavs in charge of the overall picture (i.e. signing off on whatever their vodka-addled minds come up with). Also non-slavs are in charge of quality control, obviously.

Doom was intended to be a horror game with influences from metal. Remove the metal influence and you lose the art style and sound design which is at least as important as the gameplay in making it a satisfying experience.

I actually hate the art direction, music, and the general aesthetics of Doom. Everything else is okay.

That makes you somewhat of the exception I'm afraid but opinion is subjective and all that. Hiring metal fans was somewhat of a joke anyway but I'd aim to hire people who weren't run through the university courses on games design since they just teach shit habits. Modders, tabletop players, metal fans and other autists/outcasts are not only more free-thinking but also cheaper to employ since they value a good work environment over a high wage.

What your PC still can't run it?

I'm gonna call huge bullshit on this for one reason:
For all intense and purposes Doom-clone was something to live up to back in the day. If you were successfully called a x-clone that means you at least did something very right.

This whole "ohh my genre is dead, it's just over, the masses ruin everything, hype and mass fans are the end" is so annoying and I just can't let myself sink to this level of.. idk I'm not gonna say cause I'm not trying to diss you or anyone that feels so strongly. I just think OPs post is prime example of cherry picking games and images to support the arguement that things are crap now. Call of Duty 4 was a fucking good shooter for what it specifically was. The fact they were trying to do a modern war game outside of what was essentially too many WW2 games was borderline ground breaking by itself. The multiplayer alone was punishing, much more so than Halo for some people.
Crysis came out 07. Let me see, if you want to expand that into movie, No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood were films considered the absolute best of the decade and still talked about to this day. And for the gritty artsiness of both those films, for them to reach as many people as they did is quite an achievement.

It's all about how you wanna perceive it basically.
Also if nu-doom is the new Doom game that came out this year, fuck it then. I love it. Most fun I've had with a single player shooter in YEARS, since at least FEAR.

Okay, I get you, but those people tend to have bad sensibility of art.

Where do you find a good artist who isn't already a faggot?

where did you come from

Taking the bait is not the best way to avoid shitposting.

I don't know, it's pretty hard. Not the ones from the liberal art major to be sure though. That 2013 Russian medieval movie, It's Hard to be a God, has the best cinematography and photography in a medieval movie I've ever seen since Andrei Rublev. Get whoever designed it's set.

Aside from it being slow the halo games aren't bad.

That's pretty much the only things wrong with them. They have some of the best single player campaigns in the genre and certainly the best for arena shooters; while still having full multiplayer suites, wheras most shooters only have good MP and shit SP or the reverse; they have really good visual design that actually uses the entie color spectrum, and while the stories aren't anything narratively amazing they are engaging enough and the lore is pretty damn good

I have no idea how the later on Halos are, but the first game had one of the most horrible campaigns ever. The "two weapon" rule, the level design that to this day haunts me in how horrible it is, the plot that can only exist because everyone in charge is a raging retard and cortana not shutting up ever…

Halo CE is a horrible single player game.

It never went to shit, the trends just changed.

Just like during the 90s it was all about arena shooters and Doom-inspired games.

Just like during the early 2000s it was all about WW2 games.

Just like the late 2000s and early 2010s were military FPS set in the modern era.

And now the current trend is military sci-fi games (Titanfall, the newer CoD games) or Class based shooters with some MOBA elements.

Making it easy to access and operate was a mistake.
Givi9ng them an easy way to the internet with the iPhone coupled with Kikebook and Twatter to "share" whatever nonsensical thoughs they had, was the beginning of the end.

And yet some people wonder why ASSFAGGOTS and CRAPCUNTS shouldn't be shitposted to death here.

Whatever you say, faggot.

sage for doubleposting

start with imaginative twists and turns that try to improve the genre, rather than just clone old shit

I made a quick search for actually skillful FPS and found Urban Terror. How the fuck have I not seen it mentioned here before? It looks fun as fuck and seems pretty active for a free game judging by dpmaster.deathmask.net?game=urbanterror .

Funny thing is I was about to make a post about playing CRAPCUNTS because current skillful FPS games are either dead (Tribes to an extent, Warsow) or upcoming (Midair and some arena FPS of which its name escapes me) before finding out about this. Anyone here play this Urban Terror game and is it any good?

imaginative twists got us CRAPCUNTS and you are linking something far worse.

That's DESYNC, right? Seems promising to me so far, though it hasn't been released yet to my knowledge.

Big Bang Theory came out in 2007

Yes on both accounts.

Promising ? Pink and purple simulator ? Really ?

from what I've seen it's the only lolretro indie fps that looks worthwhile, strafe, dusk and gibhard (look them up) seem cool but just more point and click bullshit

Consoles. The decline of Arena FPS that required actual skill to be good at and rise of the Halo and COD clones where every babby is a winner. Infiltration of big money into gaming when they realized they could continually resell COD and Halo to simpletons, with the aid of big advertising bucks, and still make a tidy profit.

It started being really noticeable around 2005.

Start a games development company. Make new better FPS games. I'm a firm believer that quality will win eventually, it just requires persistence. Especially with the stagnant pool of vomit that is the FPS genre at the moment, a good idea well executed could be a huge hit. The genre is just crying out for something new. Huge battles with shitloads of people on giant maps, complex unique weapons and game mechanics. A return to the heyday of community modding and servers. Fulfilling those childhood fantasies of what the FPS genre would be like when I was an adult like talked about. In fact my disgust with the degeneration of the entire FPS genre was what really motivated me to begin developing.

There's so much untapped potential in FPS today it's insane that nobody is capitalizing on it, instead choosing to either create call of duty / halo clones or quake / unreal tournament nostalgia clones.

It wasn't just FPS'

Something massive changed in 2007. Games became less about the game, and more about the monetization.

Crysis is the best FPS I played.
Fuck Doom and fuck you, you ignorant faggot.

Excellent tastes everyone.

Just trying to copy the old days would be a vast improvment compared to the shitpile we have today.
Upon that one you could try to innovate and experiment.

Kill yourself.

The mechanics are garbage and every character is a ripoff of an existing archetype. The whole point is that Overwatch has no identity, which allows normalfaggots to recognize the characters more easily.

We matured as an Industry

The rot set in much earlier. Probably with the console release of Halo 1.

You don't have to throw Halo under the bus to save the FPS genre. Everybody should just accept that console and pc shooters should be made differently. Don't force slow movement on PC and don't force no autoaim on consoles. The 6th gen Tom Clancy shooters realized this and it's disappointing for other devs to not do the same and instead awkwardly mix pc and console fps mechanics.

They do it because of console parity and porting to PC is hard work. Not like the PC community boycots games without dedicated servers and proper controls anyway. They do it because they can get away with it.

The thing is it can be done, at least by the big corporations. It would actually be more productive to have multiple studios working on different games instead of multiple studios working on the same game. Nobody's really asking for yearly releases so they should learn to take their time.

m8 it was the fucking Orange Box the whole time

Fuck it even further so that even casuals get tired of FPS and it's literally impossible to make a profitable one unless it's the second coming of doom and quake. It'd take many years to make something even stupider and shallower than overwatch, but the natural momentum of decay and decline can make it happen with a little steering.

You should play more games. It feels like aliens are dumber than humans and are just a mess to control (flying shit all around on the screen). Unfortunately, as soon as they appear, it's all you've got. It's like playing two different games.

I stopped playing Crysis when I got stuck… because of a fucking buggy script at the end of the aircraft carrier mission. Twice. Since it's something that already happened to me in Far Cry (got stuck after rescuing Val because of a wanky script), I just called it a day. Never playing this shit again.

Dude, that sucks.

You are completely right. Valve killed PC games and turned the platform into an App Store selling mobile shit.

Nah, vid related is.

people like to blame big bang theory and portals, but Holla Forums played a huge part in it too

Exactly this.

Not only FPS devolved, but FPS became more important as a genre to the whole industry than ever before - exactly because of how it appealed more to normalfags.

The problem is always on people. You can't blame nor sanctify "vidya" or "the industry", because it's nothing, it's just what people make it out to be.

Games and the industry were fine before because only the enthusiasts were involved on both ends. In the process of normalizing and mainstreaming it, people that sees it with other eyes were drawn on both ends (development and consumption).

That's just all there is to it.

Vidya is only a sympton of how our society works in general. Of how consumerist and devoid of real interest for anything most people are, making bad decisions on how to spend their money due to marketing. People in general, as a matter of fact, don't make their own decisions but decide on what they're more intensely fed through propaganda and ads, so that naturally leads to worse products costing more, while the community in general gets alienated, self-serving and dumbed down.

This as well, especially the second pic.

Society in general become more spoiled, superficial and less demanding. People became worse consumers.

Though normalfags never stay on something for long.
8th gen is basically kill. So much that in Europe general stores drop console games from their lineup, because nobody wants them anymore.

STOP THIS SHITTY MEME

good FPS post 2007shitmeme

Fallout new vegas "fps/rpg"
Far cry 2
Portal "if you would say it is fps "
wolfenstein the new order
SUPER HOT

fuck off

I just stopped playing AAA FPSs.
They were short and graphics needed to be stylized to be good but stuff like Drunken Robot Pornography and Devil Daggers are good.

The first two would be worth arguing about but you blew it at exhibit three.

Three out of five games you posted are not even FPS..

FPS games back in the early 90s were made and designed by tabletop RPG nerds with GM experience. That's why they look like mazes with rooms, keys and doors everywhere. The guys who made Doom and Quake actually wanted to make a dungeon crawler.

Modern games are designed by the people who dreamed of becoming a film director/scriptwriter but couldn't get a job in the film industry so they tried their luck with video games. That's why they feel like an interactive movie rather than a video game.

EXCUSE ME, I'M IN NEED OF MEDICAL ATTENTION

How?

AAA game dev kikes realized they could make mad shekels with minimum effort by making games that appeal to a stupid target audience

the games were as close as you can get to objectively shit but they didn't care
idiot bought it so they got their money

but what happened to the people who want to make good games?

Not an FPS
Boring repetitive shit that pretentious games journalists like to big up as a misunderstood classic. IMFDB page was good.
Not an FPS
It's ok, I suppose.
Concept didn't work well as a full game.

There are good FPSs post-2007 but those sure as hell aren't some of them.

WTNO is above average tho. The only big flaws it has are railroading, scripting and muh cinematic experience. Although the last is even mocked by the game itself.

Tasteless motifs, aesthetics, and timbre.

The 7th console generation aka the 2007 dudebro generation is history now.
They try to repeat that success that it doesn't work, because dudebros have moved on.
The entire AAA apparatus tailored to them will crash within this decade.

Man, I love nostalgia goggles.

I bet you think Conker's Bad Fur Day is a quality platformer.

Sorry mate but Halo 2 was pretty much the game where they realized, thanks to how aggressively they marketed it, that they could shit out the same game over and over again on consoles and as long as there was enough advertising it would sell. Afterwards the PC shooter genre started to nosedive as they all smelled the sweet console cash and COD4 put the nail in the coffin.

Even if you say "Everybody should just accept that console and pc shooters should be made differently", the reality is that a lot of seasoned PC FPS developers abandoned PC because of consoles with some of them spitting in our faces and calling us pirates on the way out. Then to add insult to injury, nearly every FPS game on PC for years after COD4 was console infected trash. There was always something wrong with them. They were slow, had regenerating health, shit-tier menus and graphics options, no dedicated servers or mod support, dumbed down mechanics and weapons, dumbed down everything.

They still are pretty shit-tier if I'm being honest. 90% of the FPS games on PC still reek of console and essentially boil down to "I saw you first, you die. You saw me first, I die." There's no deep movement mechanics or unique weapons. There's no weapon or item pickups to time and control. The maps are basic shit. It's all Achievement Unlocked! pat on the back nooby bullshit. I legitimately feel like a zombie while playing most modern FPS games, they just require that little brain power to play. I haven't encountered many games that have gotten anywhere close to the dizzying heights that the Quake and UT series had gotten to before they fell from grace. Maybe they just ruined other FPS games for me.

Big corporations only care about profits. Why would they bother siphoning off resources to develop potentially decent seller #1 and #2 when they have guaranteed mega-selling series that don't require them to change anything except the graphics and DLC packs. They've probably been using largely the same code for the last 10 years. They don't need to be original. They don't need to do anything except shit out the same old games year in year out, and even when they do a piss poor job of doing only that, it still sells in the long run. Because that's how low standards have fallen now. That is what the console audience brought to the FPS genre. It's undeniable.

Whatever, consoles are dead now.

I bet you are projecting really hard right now.
Duke is mechanically sound even now. Go and play it.

Actually, that's not a new feature. It was in the 360 port from a while back.

I am still triggered by this.

I've been playing games for 30 years, faggot. Ever since the days of ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64.

Cryisis is great… and how the fuck can you have a problem with controls? Are you retarded?

b.t.w. - carrier is last mission.

I'm not impressed.

I'm pretty sure all the universally praised shooters have lots of unrealistic and/or silly shit in them. Starting from "demons" and all weapons past shotgun in DOOM (no, a single guy can't possibly effortlessly carry and use a six-barrelled minigun like that) and including magical techno-babble bullshit armour and weapons in Crysis.

Red Orchestra 2, Insurgency, CS:GO are a few post-2007 FPS I still play

wow, may i suck ur dick?

Cs:GO has the most cancerous community ever.

NUKE 2007

CANT LET YOU DO THAT FREEMAN
ASS

No, TNO is the epitome of average
Its sterile and boring and considering the setting they're using, thats a fucking hard to accomplish.

Gee I wonder. Probably didn't have anything to do with, I dunno, something along the lines of the biggest financial crisis since the great depression.

Are you feeling it now, Mr Krabs?

Elevator music isn't metal.

How so?

>>>/reddit/

good digits, good post

Someone needs to go back in time and kill Steve Jobs.

shitskin

Hope the filthy kike is happy with himself

FPS was great from 1992-2007. Modern Warfare fucked everything up by making everybody want generic military shooters. Shit, they can't even make it like an old Quake/Unreal arena shooter without people bitching about it. I thought Advanced Warfare and Infinite Warfare looked way cooler than Modern Shitfare and all the other generic COD games.

I don't know if Call of Duty (the original) belongs in this image.
I think most people can agree Call of Duty was able to stand on its own as a pretty good game, and only really started to deteriorate after CoD3 (maybe even CoD2).

Bump because UrT is fucking awesome

It's literally just crapified CS though

consoles have had more games and more relevant games this past generation than PC

Nah, I'm pretty sure PC has had at least 1 relevant game this generation.

league of legends? tbh bloodborne, splatoon, 3d world, tropical freeze, and the wonderful 101 are far better. LoL being relevant is a sign of decline in the industry

Oh wait you're serious. Let me laugh.

As more and more people gain a Facebook account and use it for its most basic purposes (e.g. keeping in touch with family and friends, using Facebook Log-In), it becomes less of a trend and more of something that everyone has or should have by now; it's now become rare to find people who purposely do not leave digital footprints.

Same thing with smartphone buys: companies freak out (Apple especially) because people are buying less smartphones, but THAT is only happening because they now last longer, are more powerful, are getting cheaper for decent models, and more people are simply less inclined to upgrade at the rate that companies like Apple want them to (i.e. all the damned time like it's a fashion statement). Even diehard Applefags are getting burnt by Apple thanks to their decision of "lel we dropped headphone jacks 'cause we're ~*~trendsetters~*~".

Context, motherfucker, use it.

yes, don't retort or anything. The cowards way, being faced with reality and denying it.