Scholar Of The Shit Meme

I was a stupid faggot and fell for the Scholar Of The First Sin meme because I was told that some of its most annoying problems and the patch notes outright stated that stuff like enemy placement was revamped for a better playing experience. After 100%ing the first dark souls I actually started playing the third one and so far it was a nice experience (while kind of avoiding the second one based on the backlash).

I bought goy of the first sin on a sale once and decided to give it a go while waiting for the coming dlc for ds3 and holy shit, these first hours have been nothing but an insurmountable frustration of all kinds of bullshit. Enemy placement is cheap as all fuck, especially in the case of big, heavy-hitters, cheap as fuck ambushes all over the place, a design that reeks of DIFFICULTY = GOOD GAEM XD, the levels are actually harder than the bosses, extremely crippled estus flask at the start that seriously detracts from the exploration potential, and of course magic remains absolutely broken.

I thought some of that shit would start to go away as you play through but it just keeps at that level of stupid shit that really takes away from my motivation of playing it. I know that people are going to say "git gud", and I would agree if not for the fact that the game feels wrong on a fundamental level. I'm willing to go on but only if at least the DLC zones are as good as I've heard they are. So, does the game eventually get actually good? Is DLC at least woth it?

Pls bully hard if you deem it necessary since I fell for this shit hard.

Dark Souls 2 takes all the accusations of artificial difficulty in 1 and makes them real.
The only real difficulty in 2 boils down to shitty hitboxes and copious amounts of health. The bosses aren't even that difficult in the end. The only reason you ever die any of the bosses is because they're so fucking boring that you try to sneak in an extra hit against them to make whole thing go faster, but get punished.

God damn was that an anticlimactic boring shit. Is the rest of the game like that? Even on the DLC?Oh god please say no

The Pursuer did have the redeeming quality of having those crossbows you could shoot the host with

Holy fuck what a disappointment that was though. They built it up like he'd be tracking you through the game but then only shows up like once and then you fight him for real

I'm glad im not the only one.

Compared to DS1 and DS3 the game is such tedious shit.

Feels like a vanilla WoW instance/raid where you slowly creep around clearing trashmobs one at a time since there are so many enemies packed together.

Mobs wouldn't be that much of a deal if it just stuck at mobs of small, generic enemies, but instead goes the extra mile and also packs up to 4 or 5 heavy hitters at a time, that shit is just fucking stupid and betrays the combat mechanics of the game. I can only hope that shit got sorted out in the DLC areas that is, if my patience allows for me to reach those places to begin with.

It used to be a lot better but then they decided to nerf the shit out of it because people could clear the game as a pure caster and PvP fags whined that it was too broken in PvP.

Dark souls 2 had some improvements that I liked but it shat the bed hard in other places. The weapon variety is still nice but levels are shit and exploration feels a lot less interesting. The bosses are mostly shit even if a few of them are neat ideas like the mirror knight. I actually felt like the general gameplay had improved from the first one, movement felt better and they made some nice additions with things like powerstancing. It's dragged down by the boring enemy design, level design and shitty hitboxes though.

I haven't played the DLC but the second half of the game doesn't really get better. The best part of the game for me was the weapon variety and some of the neat looking armour.

I liked DS2 for it's massive variety of builds and fun covenants (when the game was alive). Yeah PvE was garbage, but it was ok. I guess I'm an irredeemable retard

That's the thing. I enjoyed PvP and everything else about the game other than the PvE. Even when I brought goy of the first shekel it was still the most enjoyable aspect of the game. The improved netcode was the biggest strength of 2.

I said that before and I'll say it again - Dark Souls 2 is a bad game in itself regardless of its franchise. Scholar edition indeed made it somewhat better, but it's still a very bad game.
Dark Souls 3 is basically an expansion pack for DS1 and is very good as such, but as a separate game it can't really compare to DS1.
Oh and I'm happy because of poisefags' suffering
Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne are all great games on par with each other, that did different things right. Depend on your preferences one of them is easily the best game of all time. It's just a goddamn shame that sony won't release any of them running in 60 fps.

The first game had god awful hitboxes to, not just for enemies but even the level geometry was so fucked up you constantly slid off flat surfaces to your death.

I only beat the first DLC, the one in the underground temple with the dragon and squid lady who summons another fucking boss.
That DLC started off good hell it even had some zlda esk ouzzles were you had to use a bow to move platforms and open doors, but the closer to the end you get the worse it gets and the final bosses are terrible.
I played halfway though the fire DLC before I just gave up and just stopped playing, never played the snow one.

Stop playing DS2. It is a bad game.

Few things will send me into a tard rage, but people who think DS2 is a good game tops the list. I have a hard time imagining just how retarded a person must be to think this is a good game.

As bad as it is, you gotta admit the Faraam set is pretty baller

I like DS2 more than both DS1 and DS3.

What do you enjoy about it? I'm seriously curious

Is there any reason I can land parries for days in DS1 but I just can't get the timing window right in DS2/3?

Why isn't this a loss comic?

Dark Souls 2: SOTFS is only enjoyable if you played through the vanilla Dark Souls 2 game. The "improved" enemy placement applies to a handful of places, the rest of them they just added more enemies.

The DLC is the best part of the game. The bosses there are great, but it sucks that the enemy ganks are far worse than in the main game.

I think they changed the timing. In 3, you're retarded if you try to parry with anything other than the Cestus because of how fast the parry animation for it moves for some fucking reason.

DS1 parries have near instantaneous startup. DS2/3 parries have an actual startup that you have to take into account. DS2 had DS1 style parrying for a time in the form of the Monastery Scimitar, which utterly broke the game until it was nerfed then rebalanced.

Well there are a few points off the top of my head if you care to hear my ramblings.
First is that I find it plays so much better than the first one, I can't quite put my finger on all the parts of it; but one thing I can point too is that I'm a fag who really likes having a separate roll and jump button.
I also found the balancing way better, with the better weapon variety and cool stuff like powerstancing I found myself enjoying a lot more play styles in it compared to the first. One thing I want to note is how much I like having more than one great bow to pick from
This feeds into pvp being very fun as well. One thing I find people will at least begrudgingly admit is pretty strong. It works so much better than the first, and not just because of the hack job of a port the first one haswhich I won't bitch about here The convents are better; smaller details such as you don't get locked out of invasions after killing the boss and I like stuff like stuff like the small soapstone.
And my most controversial opinion is that I like the pve better as well. I can see why a lot of people disliked it, but with how better equipped in this game I was fine going through it. I think overall the hitboxes in this game are better than the first save the case of most all grapple based attacks. I don't know I just found it so much more memorable with stuff like the ballista "trap" or bullying the monsters with the torch.

Sorry for wasting your time with my late night ramblings.

2 for PvP, 3 for PvE.

You can just parry him and run to the arbalests yourself while he's staggered, then one shot him.
And he shows up later at least 3 time.

No reason to bully you.
You're absolutely right, DaS2 is awful.
Anyone who thinks it's "an okay game but just not a good DaS game" or anything like that has absolutely shit taste.
DaS and DaS3 are good.

The only positive thing in DaS2 is that the gameplay is slightly better.
I guess if you're a PVP player that's good but I think that DaS3 has the best weapon variety.
DaS 3 has better combat EXCEPT for the powestance missing. While it has weapons that are a pair, the power stance obviously allowed for more combos.
On the other hand the few dual wield weapons in the game can have more unique move-sets since it doesn't have to account for all sort of combos.

TL;DR: Powerstance was neat and you can argue for and against it not being in DaS3.

I preferred Lords of the Fallen to DaS2

I only play ds2 because it makes sorcery builds viable. On some points it's at least on the same level as ds1, on many other things it's just artificial difficulty in your face, at least in 1 they tried to be subtle

Nice trips.
There was a lot of bandwagoning, but I didn't touch it because of denuvo. Was it cracked since? And by cracked I mean removal of that cancerous DRM, not just working around it.

DaS3 is the weakest in the series

How?

DaS3 had too much emphasis on rolling and parrying. Parrying (especially with hornet) did far too much damage, there aren't enough recovery frames on parries to justify the damage it can do. Rolling uses much less stamina than 2 and you are basically always "fast" rolling since you only need to be below 70%.

DaS2 allowed phantoms to use estus/healing items until an invader was present which worked well. Now everyone gets a sippy at all time, which really makes invasions less fun for everyone.

DaS3's netcode is as bad or worse than DaS1 and that's an achievement.

DaS3 had less options for exploration than DaS2. DaS3 is basically a straight line, even if you killed Dancer early and then killed Dragonslayer Armor early, you were blocked from the Archives until you kill 3 lords. DaS2 allowed you to go to 4 routes from Majula (although 2 converge to Bastille). DaS3 is a straight line until Farron Keep even then there is just the Cathedral as a dead end you need to get to Irithyll.

DaS2's main problem is with stamina, both usage and regeneration. If all actions (especially running) used less stamina and regen was double or triple the rate, we'd have a faster pace more enjoyable game. (Also the hitboxes are more balanced if you have a decent agility, DaS3's hitboxes are "pro-player" which extend beyond their weapons, a reason why PvP in DaS3 is shit because everything has phantom range)

With all the steps forward they made in DaS2, they completely forgot about them and shit the bed.

When the Puzzling Stone Sword was first added in the Sunken King DLC, 2 handing it gave you 360 tracking with a lunge on attack. This was obviously broken and subsequently patched. Now every rapier is the fucking broken PSS with their R1s.

Leddit and shitty streamers favor parrying for invasions and for fighting in general since actually hitting someone who can roll spam easily between taking a quick sippy is difficult but one hornet ring parry with a heavy weapon and they are dead or at 10% health.

Lets not forget the whole softbanned others after some script kiddy has an add souls affect on their weapon. They completely ignored the shit Santa was doing in DaS2 to softban people and made an abusable system A-FUCKING-GAIN.

Fuck anyone who says that. Its the same shit.

And fuck you too,they are probably the best part of all the games.

Artorias has jack and shit on Raime

I found Agility to be a broken stat for that reason

Sorry for sperging out in advance

I feel like for every step forward DS2 makes it takes 2 steps back

This is great, if a had a penny for all of my failed DS1 jumps ect.
But why did they then turn the "go down the ladder faster button" into the "Jump off the ladder and die button"

Powerstancing is fun but the game never explains how to do it, all my rolls felt like shit because the game just doesn't explain half the mechanics, like the swing that empties your stamina having more recovery and doing less damage is a change that never gets expained

The balancing and the pvp were made worse with the inclusions of the fucking health-stones and estus regenerating you instead of healing, half my red covenant ganks ended up with me backstabbing a dude and then he just heals to full while I'm hitting him.

Having pvp arenas and not having a good way to obtain red eye orbs, or just giving me a non cracked one made invasions not happen except for the bell shitholes, went trough the whole game with the blue police ring on and got invited twice and one of the invasions i just saw my summoner die and just got sent back.

I also couldn't stand the pve because i couldn't stagger any of the mobs, all of the small ones just die and the big ones just keep attacking no matter what i do to them.
Guard-break was much better in both pvp but i found it harder to do then the DS1 kick

The fucking durability change was such a pain in the ass, my ultra great-sword lost half its durability on 5 mobs and god forbid i swung and hit a dead body
The fucking magic salts made magic a fucking shitshow.

Too many bonfires not enough shortcuts.
Too much estus and infinite healing stones makes it seem like the devs didnt understand the point of estus

The bosses dropping souls from DS1 bosses made everything feel like pandering,
The fucking co-op covenant is just Solare pandering.
How iron keep and earthen peak connect makes no sense, none of the map connections make any sense but that one just blew my mind.

Them fixing the monastery scimitar and countless other bugs and not fixing the durability bug.
the game looking bright as hell even in areas that are suppoosed to be dark.

it just seems like they made a bunch of decisions without thinking about what it would do to the game so all of the improvements they made over Dark Souls 1 seem like blind luck.
Enemies spinning to always face you, bird npc giving random items, the fucking useless torch, soul memory.

I could go on forever im just gonna stop,
i tried liking the game so many times but i just cant.

For all of my builds I either go at least 23/13 ADP/ATT or 24/10 so I get 100 AGI so I have decent i-frames on my rolls and backsteps. Having 2 or at least 1 spell slot is great just for Warmth and Flame Weapon. Warmth is the cheapest way to heal as an invader also good for fight clubs. Flame Weapon is essentially a free weapon buff even if fire damage is shit compared to other elements.

Nope. Its the same shit as the base game.

I thought these mask guys were going to be in the game but they turned out to be these shitty manikin men.

you're not very intelligent are you user?

SotfS or not, das 2 is still the best in the series

Shonen Jump nearly sued them for the mask design because "muh naruto".
For once, this is not FROM fucking something up with DS2.

The two biggest problems in Dark Souls 2 are the awful world design and the focus on difficulty above preparing for said difficulty.

Dark Souls 1 had almost the entire world connected and there were numerous paths to different areas. The game would slowly build up new environmental mechanics such as the swamp in order to make the player realize they should be prepared before things get much worse. Not to mention, the fact that levels are directly connected but still feel separate makes the world seem larger than it is.

Dark Souls 2's level design is like a hand; each path/finger is connected to the hub/hand, and not to each other. It leads to really jarring transitions and environments that don't make sense. And it goes straight to the deep end almost as soon as you encounter something new. Not going to say directly what, as I want you to be disappointed without my assistance.

The DLC is really good though. Personal favorite is the snow castle, but the iron keep has the best optional boss.

Allow me to counter with my autism.

If I had a penny for every time I jumped off a ladder instead of sliding down I'd have one penny, etc. Once you know holding down and sprint/roll you slide down a ladder you don't fuck up again.

Exactly the same thing can be said about all Souls games, it's all trial and error no explanation shit. My first blind run of DaS1 had me doing fat rolls when using giants and a great shield because I didn't know about lower weights affecting rolls and worse rolls having worse i-frames

Are you kidding me? You sip much slower in 2 than either 1 or 3, and this is ignoring the backstap sip cancelling exploit. While I agree 2 had far too many healing items (estus, 3 types of lifegems, mushrooms, 2 types of charms, 2 waters, 2 smooth and silky stones, the DLC dried root and of course divine blessings). Even the Lloyd's Talismans don't block non-estus item recovery which they should.

They gave estus to everyone in 3 and it's a fucking nightmare. Even 2 had enough sense to block estus recovery on invasions.

Even blue eye orbs are shit to obtain. Everyone agrees to just CE them in which you shouldn't need to do, cheat to make the game fun. At least they allowed you to buy the covenant rewards at NG+2, beats farming/winning 500 fights. Basically no one plays as WoB so basically no Sentinels get summoned, 3 finally realized this and added the ability to change to WoB mid invasion but this makes this even more unfair for the invader.

I can see why they did it, durability was basically never an issue in DaS1 unless you didn't buy the weapon smith box for bonfire repair or spam abilities on special weapons. They wanted to make durability mean something which they managed to fuck up, but eventually fixed the bullshit durability loss on dead bodies. Although trying to break the santier's spear because a fucking pain.

You need to farm for them and they aren't readily available. In vanilla 2 you could buy unlimited of the shit herbs after completing the game but this was removed in SotFS.

I completely agree I can't fucking believe the pandering in 3, jesus christ

But it was fixed… Eventually

Even in SotFS which made SOME areas SLIGHTLY darker, it wasn't enough. More levels should be darker or at least similar to The Gutter.

That's the thing they realized from DaS1, if the enemies don't have good tracking then they are far too easy to counter. Even enemies like the black knights which have rather good tracking become easy once you get their moveset down. What's wrong with the random items? It adds rewards for small soap stone summons. The torch's only use was summoning a few phantoms after lighting all torches in some areas and the abyss.

DaS2 definitely takes steps back as it walks forward but it ends out ahead unlike DaS3 which ends up behind where it started.

Stop using spoilers like brackets you fucking retard.

Seriously. Stop using spoilers as brackets. Its annoying as fuck.

On basically every repeat play of ds2 it was poison arrow the game
Nothing enjoyable about a good majority of it, a couple bosses were ok like the drake in the cage and uhhh probably something else
But so many areas were either big dude that can 1 shot you or 5 little shits that can stun lock you or annoying casters impossible to reach without arrows and mgs levels of sneaky
And only got worse in ng+ i like the idea of extra enemies to change it up but they clearly didnt do it for that it was purly put them all in the most tedious spots ever, like on the way to the chariot or near the waterfall

Fuck the entire rat zones also

forever alonne

I haven't played DS3 because it wont run on my PC so i dont know much about it

Yea i guess you are right, i remember just ignoring kindling because i didn't know how important it was.
But you cant trial and error power stance, even with a guide it took me forever to understand it, i picked a lightweight as my first starter so i didn't have your problem

I agree it should be slower, but if he sips and I backstab him he shouldn't heal to full while I'm hitting him, fuck non estus healing.

It took them a fucking year to fix the durability bug, i gave up, i would much rater they just remove it from the game. i guess they used it for the special attacks but you could just get tons of repair powder.

I tried playing DS2 again earlier this year, they still haven't fixed the double-clicking bug, where if i turn it off and restart the game it will be on again until I turn it on and then off again
What fucking idiot though the double clicking for heavy attacks was a good idea, all of your light attacks come out so fucking delayed with it on.

They made turtle-knights in that have a attack that they use when you are behind them and you cant back-stab them and they still spin around to always face you

I had to have a dude give me his white phantom wing because i couldn't get it to drop.
Stone milestones and random items in-between them could have fixed the problem, or maybe just make them a store

Coming from DaS1 to 2, two handing your left hand weapon is foreign and having 1.5x the stats required AND having the right weapon combos (some can't be powerstanced with each other) is really something that really needed a hint or something.

Normally those situation result in them taking around as much damage as they sip. Backstab sip punishing is discouraged unless you have a heavy weapon. DaS3 sips are just so fucking quick it's hard to counter them with lag and the shit netcode.

Rebind your mouse so it uses keyboard controls instead of clicks, this remove the clicking issue and the delay.

How is that bad exactly? You can clearly see they have strong armor and a shell, shells in video games imply invulnerability or at least reduced damage. Their attacks are telegraphed and slow to come out with extreme recovery time. They were built as a gimmick to counter backstabs.

Yeah that is bullshit, trying for a demon's great hammer for a starting run is a pain unless you save scum. Smooth and Silky stones are pretty easy to get though.

cant blame the game for your dumb pc faggotry, playing das on KBM is like trying to play street fighter with the Donkey Kong wii bongos.

i plug in my ps3 controller to the PC and use BetterDS3 to map it, control feels as natural as in the console, but with 60 FPS

I put in around 600 hours into Dark Souls 1 using M+KB before using the mouse fix

you're either a masochist, an idiot, or half of both.

I dont understand why everyone shits on KBM, I jsut had to look up the controls adapt to them with the hollows on the undead bourg and I've never had ny problems with them

You guys just shit on Dark Souls 2 because of the B team myth but it's still a great game.

The vanilla game wasn't as good as the first Dark Souls but the DLC areas came close and it was still better than 99% of the games that year.

Your mistake was playing Scholar, the vanilla game is marginally better than the DLC one.

If they have a attack to counter me going behind them why do they still spin to always be in front of me, i don't understand
More of the characters should have had back attacks instead of having them spin and overhead all day

we seem to agree on everything else

Game plays fine, Q is block F is parry Shift for dodge and X to use items
It's not like i have to move the camera with the keyboard that's where i draw the line

The thing I have a problem with is them adding a feature that doesn't turn off when i set it to off

How dude? it doesn't even recognize mouse clicks iirc

its like these people never even touched Kings Field or Shadow Tower.

protip: your weapons break really fast, so you need to carry several different ones and switch when they're nearly broken.

in das1 and 3, durability is an useless number, your weapon will never break before you reach the next blacksmith/bonfire unless you willingly hit walls with the weapon repeatedly.

that sounds like a clusterfuck

Speaking of durability, I think a better and more fitting way to make you rest at bonfires would be to gradually reduce your maximum stamina. Like, every stamina-draining move you make would also take a tiny portion off your max stamina, simulating how your character is getting tired, and you can only restore your max stamina by resting at a bonfire.

That would have been cool IMO.

you would just stock up on the infinite max-stamina restoration herbs (or whatever) from one of the npcs

I just realized thats kind of a monster hunter thing

The mouse never gets captured properly, how is it possible that you would slog through 600hours of DaS without proper mouse capturing?

I hated Dark Souls 2 and it's one of very few games I own that I've never bothered to finish. I haven't had an autistic rant about it in a while and need to vent.
>geography makes no sense even outside of the Earthen Peak/Iron Keep connection, making it hard to get immersed into

There are things I do like about it, though. The PVE covenant, addition of lances to throw STR users a bone if they wanted to use piercing weapons, addition of power stancing, cloth physics on certain clothes and armour and dedicated PVP arenas for fighting others within your covenant were all good additions that just didn't make up for the myriad of other problems the game has.

I haven't played Dark Souls 3, but I've seen opinions on it ranging from "it's the best in the series by far" to "it's the worst in the series by far" and don't really know what to make of that or why it's so controversial.

Salt and Sanctuary did this.

If you take damage, your max health gets reduced so face tanking to the boss nets you less max health unless you bring healing miracles or special healing items.

Same with stamina, every attack, jump and roll you do reduces your max stamina unless you use a special item or get to a bonfire.

Why the fuck did they get rid of "Well, what is it?" in 2 and 3?

That shit pissed me off.

Only areas that suck more in Scholar are no man's wharf and iron keep, and wharf is still fun in co-op and iron keep was never not going to be miserable no matter what they changed. The rest are better, and usually contain the same amount or less enemies than vanilla DS2. In particular everything drangleic and beyond is significantly less retarded and grindy except for the dragonrider minibosses and that one ogre, you know the one.

We memed too much

Same reason they filtered GG in memewatch. normalfags can't take banter.

What did Scholar change in the Wharf? I don't remember anything different when I played it.

Low quality bait.

The only areas that I think were turned into complete bullshit with the enemy placement change are Heide's tower of flame and Iron Keep.
Oh lord Iron Keep, it was already shitty back in the original version, but they went full out with the bullshit in the "remaster".
Also that damn Flexile Sentry (who respawns) on the way to Lost Sinner's chamber, why?

Don't forget they nerfed roll I-frames by tying them to a stat.
Don't quote me on it, but iirc the default amount of frames on most classes when starting out is lower than that of a fat roll in DaS1.

Well, there's like many copies of him that you find in different places throughout the game, more so in the SotFS.
Still pretty shitty though.

Nothing, I think he's confused with heide's, wharf is the same except for the non-hostile NPC placements.

I didn't find anything to be cheap or frustrating about DS2. I found it to be incredibly low quality, but the difficulty or "fairness" or whatever you want to call it seemed to be fairly standard.

If you try to advance without checking every nook and cranny, you get punished. Once you're punished, you deal with it and advance.
The only place where I got a bit salty was Shrine of Amana, and Scholar actually made it easier than it originally was.
There's no bullshit in any Souls games. The only one to blame for death is the player, even if an enemy teleports a sword into your spine, you chose to look the wrong way at the wrong time.

DS2 is just shit. Nothing more, nothing less.

they changed it to "welcome" in 2 don't remember if 3 had one

They built him up like that because it was the actual plan before that got cut, along with the dynamic lighting, the good hitboxes, and literally everything else good about that game.
I got to play the network test, and it was fucking great. I'm still pissed at the fucking bait and switch they pulled.

They were basically always tied to a stat, endurance.

Endurance was just fucking broken in DaS1 as it affected:

Mid and fat rolls were just shit compared to fast/flippy ring rolls in terms of recovery and i-frames.

The above mechanics were split into different stats.
i-frames

Defense and roll type

Total stamina

This lead to a more variety and specialisation of builds, not the cookie cutter 40/40 VIT/END with 40 (or 27 if 2handing) in two stats of STR/DEX/MAG/FTH.

I'm not paying $84 for the whole game fuck that, anyone else had this issue and fixed it?

Fixed that for you, cunt.

I used the FitGirl repack and didn't have any issues.

you can get it on g2a for half that or less.
The online is not really worth it at the moment tho, I got it recently and I'm already getting bored with PVP. M-m-m-aybe muh dlc will fix it

NO!

dont' get Fit Grill , you can't patch in the CODEX updates, and most certainly you will not be able to patch in the DLC that's coming, i had to re download the whole game because of that

I had that problem when I pirated EDF, I had to install some service pack thing or direct X update. I forgot which.

bearer of memes,
seek better taste in videogames,
least this board swallows you whole

Aren't there a lot more guys in NMW compared to vanilla? And dogs, and more barrels, and a couple of ninjas that weren't there before.

No, you're wrong. Endurance was only tied to your overall stamina, and somewhat contributed to your defense, but that's irrelevant to mention because every stat is tied to your defense. When you level up, your HP and various resistances will also go up. Poise was its own stat that was influenced by how much armor you're wearing. Your individual pieces of armor each have their own weight and poise attributes. The more poise you have, the heavier you are, so these two concepts go hand in hand. Weight is what effected your roll speed, and the restrictions were tiered so that there were three distinct roll speeds. There are was to minimize the impact that weight has on your character, like Favor and Protection and Havel's rings, but generally speaking you're going to move slowly the heavier you are. Your roll is what dictated the amount of i-frames you had while dodging, with fast rolls being the best. Maybe you've just got a poor memory and that's why you spewed all this garbage.

The only thing SotFS actually fixed was item placement.
Vanilla DaS2 rewarded your exploration with chests of FUCKING NOTHING. Good job finding this hidden chest behind 3 invisible walls and a blind drop, you get a fucking healing stone, now fuck off. Want a cool-looking armor set? Grind the enemies that drop it until they stop spawning, use an ascetic and do it again. 5 days later you might have half the set if you're lucky, you cunt.

SotFS put all those stupidly rare drop chance armor/weapon sets into actual chests hidden around the world (the chests that used to have fucking nothing but useless consumables you can buy anyway in them).

For me, that was enough to say SotFS was pretty neat. However, it wasn't worth the fucking ridiculous price, and the only reason I bought it myself is that my wallet gets really loose when I drink, and I buy dumb shit.

Can you give me any examples? The Falconers are fucking broken I'll give you that, jesus christ how could they get through any QA department?
The shiny chest is meant to be a tell that the enemy is dangerous (you also fight the non suicide ones earlier). I haven't noticed excess motion blur, do you have it disabled or are you on console?
Both dogs have a forward lunge whose hitbox covers their whole body, there is basically no windup for the attacks and the fat dogs can spam it fast. Either they are broken or designed only to be fought from behind where you won't get hit, I'm betting it's the latter.
You can kinda hear it if you stand still, it's on the same level as DaS1's bridge wyvern in terms of bullshit. It won't ever catch you a second time once you know its there.
Even in the SotFS Fallen Giant's basement they kinda turned down the lighting, they had torches around but it still wasn't enough to warrant torch use. That basement area is the only one changed in terms of lighting IIRC for SotFS which is a real disappointment.
I really think someone fucked up and put the Keep above Peak instead of having it below and for whatever reason they couldn't move it and hoped the player wouldn't notice. There's that non-existent QA department again.
The better question is why is it even there? Assuming the map wasn't destroy there is this small twin door small temple on the top of a small hill, that location isn't special at all.
From DeS/DaS1 they knew that large spaces are easy than small, 1v1 fights with stronger mobs still favor the player and are too easy using shields, parries and backstabs. They did the same thing in DaS3, instead of good enemy/level design most mobs do more damage than expected. Most Souls game areas are invalidated by running past everything.
Most weapons have some form of horizontal slash, 2 handing doubles your STR amount for requirements giving players a greater potential weapon pool. As I said above, in all Souls games 1v1 encounters favor players so they add a bunch of enemies for difficulty ;^)
And in DaS3 they changed that to 7 hit combo with little recovery. Alonne knights only have a 1 hit combo, great hammer drakeknight's combo knows no limit.
It's far too bright for the aesthetic, even in the abyss it doesn't look dark/gritty enough. The game feels like my monitor's brightness is up a bit too high.
Bear..
Seek..
Lest..
The only bonfires that did that are Straids and the one above Lost Sinner, the former was fixed and Straids still needs it cleared out 13 times to stop respawns.
You are really going to hate DaS3's bonfire placements as they are even worse than DaS2's.

Aldia helped to relieve Nashandra's disappointment but he's not the real final boss. You also forgot it's a 3 boss rush mode; Watcher/Defender, Nashandra, Aldia and if you quit/die after killing one, you can fight them again with full health/estus making the fights even easier especially it rewards you for failing.
Mytha would be better in DaS3 with an arena you can't drain of poison since poison in shit in 3. Covetous Demon and Skeleton Kings are filler bosses that really needed to be redesigned. Fighting the Skeleton Kings with the bonerwheels alive as you enter would make it a little more intense, especially if even more skeletons spawn as you fight. Covetous Demon was clearly rushed, above the demon are jars full of corpses, if you shoot a jar with a greatbow (since nothing else can break them easily from range) the corpse falls down and the demon is distracted while it eats the corpse giving you free time to attack. But the greatbow is after you kill the demon (or get 1 million souls) meaning it only works for NG+ or a low SM summon with a greatbow. It needed to be faster, more aggressive with a need for you to break those jars, but it was rushed.
Better to get use to them since 3 has nothing but pandering
Also how the fuck do you learn that gesture from a broken statue of hands and shoes?
The game is suppose to be above visiting a broken kingdom and killing everyone that's left, you don't know shit you are just plundering and killing.
It doesn't even burn, not only that but the torch mechanic just doesn't get used for anything except for lighting torches to get black phantom summons and for the abyss.
The whole point was to avoid twinks AND always allow multiplayer action. The average joe blow fucking retard player doesn't know to stop leveling at 120 and keeps going to 287 then complains about a non working multiplayer because shit isn't explained and he never went to a wiki. With SM, a player is always within multiplayer range of at least 2 tiers for most multiplayer mechanics. The issue with SM is that it punishes everything but the most meta perfect gameplay, it also goes against experimentation. Leveling weapons/armor and buying magic/items takes souls which affects your SM. Everything which isn't your final weapons/armor is wasted SM, anything consumable bought (like arrows) is wasted SM. Any souls lost is wasted SM. It also punishes shit players since they lose SM on multiple deaths pushing them into higher SM tiers they aren't equipped for.

The best example of this is a 2.8 million SM invasion I did in Amana, someone who was in NG (enemies did little damage/no extra spawns) who never got past the fog wall before the middle Amana bonfire. Either that guy CE'd in souls or he died A LOT getting there because he was fucking bad, as in why doesn't my black separation crystal banish this invader bad. He never got a hit on me and all I did was spam 30 or so acid surges on my cancer build. He definitely wasn't suppose to be in that SM tier, skill wise.

To be fair they copied the guilty/sinner invasion mechanics from DaS1. Even though DaS2 had a working instant worldwide online (not small IP pools like DaS1) cracked red eye orbs were a pain and a fairly big time investment to farm. Good thing CE-ing in orbs doesn't softban.

What he said wasn't specifically wrong, it was just reaching hard.
Endurance was tied to stamina and CARRY WEIGHT, and he expanded on that to mean endurance directly affected your roll type (which is KIND of did, but not in the way he implied since it was still player's equipment choice).

I support splitting endurance into two, so DaS2's VIT and END were good changes, but ADP was fucking bullshit and did nothing but break a primary mechanic of *souls games until you leveled ADP to 24 or so.

Endurance increase 2 things: stamina and carry weight

Carry weight affects your rolls and what armor you can wear, your armor affects defense and poise.

It's a player's choice for their equipment but if you are at 40 END, why not min-max for poise breakpoints while remaining under 25%?

A single stat essentially covered five mechanics, even though it was up to the player what they'd do.

As I said in another post, the cookie cutter build for DaS1 is 40/40 VIT/END with two more stats to level to 40 (or 27 STR if you 2 hand your weapon).

DaS2/3's split stat system made you choose between increasing stamina or carry weight with END/VIT. But DaS2 tied i-frames to AGI (ADP and ATT) and DaS3 there are 3 rolls with different i-frames (

DaS 2 was shit and Scholar just made some of its problems worse. The DLC had the best level design for the most part but you're still dealing with playing fucking Dark Souls 2.

DaS2 is better than 3, you dumb niggers.

I got it during release week and went in completely blind, having not read any discussions about it prior to playing it. I tried very, very hard to like the game over the course of 67 hours of playtime. Don't make assumptions like this, you intellectually dishonest faggot.

This is fucking rich coming from someone that liked Dark Souls 2.

While DaS2 might be a worse game, I dislike DaS3 more.
Heavy armour is useless since the stats required to wear it are much better spent else where.
Not to mention slow, heavy weapons require that same stat not to overburden you, and with hyperarmour removed you'll be getting interrupted all the time anyway.

Light armour + light weapon + parrying shield is by far the best way to play.

Fucking around in pvp which has made up a huge portion of the ~220 hour playtime of DaS3, please fucking end me, has it set up that practically everyone is using dual weapons with a buff, the Fume, a katana that isn't the Bloodlust, or a straight sword with a cestus on the offhand because of the fact that parrying with the cestus is faster than parrying with literally every shield. I main Mound Makers while invading too, which causes even more anal pain because other invaders occasionally will attack me out of nowhere.

I was talking PvE, but PvP is lacking in variety too.
It doesn't help with how the odds are stacked against invaders.

I did have a lot of fun using the dried finger and seed of tree of giants, and then running around the giants in anor londo.
The deacons would rain fire down on the few other players trying to kill/defend me, with giants stomping around killing the unwary.

I've noticed that there's a range where a weapon that's not heavy enough to be in greatsword tiers but not too light to be a rapier or dagger is the easiest way to win in pve. I lied about it being ~220 hours. It's at 257 hours.

These are both well-thought out posts that I initially didn't notice.

Those weird orange things in the watery basement just before the Lost Sinner are good examples, though in fairness they aren't in the game very much. Apart from them, the animations for the Alonne knights, the things that hide from the light of your torch in No Man's Wharf, the dog things I mentioned, and quite a few bosses, among others, all look very stiff and unnatural. The Pursuer's sword swings just don't look like they should hit as hard as they do, for example, which was a problem I also had with the likes of the demon in Iron Keep (can't remember that boss' name) and other weapon-wielding bosses and enemies (like the Lost Sinner, the Rotten and the mace-wielding knights in the Aerie).
The latter. I got it on PS3 since, when the game came out, my computer wasn't very good. Do you know if the PS4/Xbone versions have less motion blur?
Both true, though I still wish they had set some kind of precedent for the cyclopes bursting through walls. Even something as little as being able to see the ones in Things Betwixt smash a cave wall in the distance would have sufficed, so that upon seeing the cyclopes in Aldia's Keep, the player would know to stay away from the walls or something along those lines.

For what it's worth, I much preferred the way Demon's Souls handled the dragon flying over the bridge in Boletaria 1-2 compared to the one in Dark Souls, where he flies out ahead of you before you're in danger of being hit by his flames. The oil on the bridge in DaS was a good, subtle way to warn the player to watch out for fire, but I feel like there should have been some indication that the wyvern was flying around the bridge area after he flies away when you first enter Undead Burg. Like if you could see him flying around in the sky as you can the red dragon in Boletaria, or something.
I think it was just a case of the game being rushed, really. Both DaS1 and 2 feel quite unfinished relative to Demon's Souls, I think, which is part of why I prefer it to them (much moreso to 2 than 1, whether or not someone prefers DeS or DaS is really down to personal preference imo). In saying that, I'm aware of DeS' Northern Outpost or whatever its name was and all the beastmen enemies that were cut from it, but I prefer them not being in the game at all rather than them being in the game and feeling unpolished.
Also true, but when I made that complaint I was more thinking about how much better that sort of enemy encounter was handled in DeS and DaS. There are very few areas in those games in which you're bombarded with swarms of high-tier enemies, but I can think of plenty where you're swarmed by a crowd of weaker ones. And that's a much more fair way to design encounters with several enemies, yet still somewhat challenging due to having to think on the fly about how best to handle the crowd.
That sounds awful.
I'll admit that I stopped playing DaS2 before any updates came out, so I didn't know that one was fixed. While it's only two, it's a problem that wasn't there in the first one at all and should have been easy to avoid creating in the first place.
I remember doing that to Nashandra, but I don't remember fighting Aldia. He got added in an update, right?
I do appreciate what they were going for with SM, I just think it was implemented very poorly. It reminds me of the rage meter in God of War: Ascension, which gave you access to the Blades' moveset that you had access to by default in every previous game in the series if you managed to strike a certain number of hits without getting hit yourself. It's a nice idea that encourages efficient play, but means that anything less than perfect play is punished unreasonably.

In fairness to them, I can't think of how I would do it differently.
True.

Dark Souls 2 is a bit tragic for me, because leading up to release it seemed like it was going to be some sort of happy middle ground between Demon's and Dark Souls, which was pretty much what I had been looking for since playing through them both. I prefer Demon's overall, but Dark Souls does quite a few things better and I was hoping for something of a blend of their best aspects. What I got was a game full of interesting ideas that was just dragged down too much by its plentiful flaws.

How is Dark Souls 3? I've heard a lot of people say it's great and others say it's terrible. I was tentatively interested in it prior to its release because some of the armour designs were really cool, but I lost interest. Speaking of, I will give DaS2 the fact that its armours were really nice. The Royal Swordsman helmet looks fantastic with just about anything.

PVE is very good.
PVP not so much. Invasions are not fun because 9/10 times it matches you with a 3 people gank squad. Arena duels are often not fun because there is no poise and build variety, the meta is to do running/rolling attacks with 1 or 2 selected optimal meta weapons. Said weapons stunlock you all the time because no poise, and great weapons can be rolled through infinitely. TLDR rolling and spamming L1 with gotthard TS will win most fight against non-meta builds

PS I only pirated DS 1 and 2 so I have no direct PVP comparison, but I hear it's much more fun

Greentext tiem.

3 plays like an expansion to 1, the level design and enemy design is pretty similar though it's a bit too linear in progression. I'd say its biggest fault is it's not significantly better than 1 in any way which should not be the case for the third game in a series, there should have been some improvements along the way but PvP is still not great, covenants are mostly shit, magic is still bland, and armor is still basically just cosmetic.

It's also got a shortage of enjoyable gimmick builds and gimmick weapons, most of them are just kinda shitty so there's not a lot of incentive to replay the game with different characters.

kek, that is similar to how I first played DS1. I dropped the game because I made a horrible build and was generally a scrub. I only completed the game recently and found it quite easy after DS2 & 3

I obviously can't comment on 3's multiplayer, but I'm not sure whether I prefer that of 1 or 2. 1 has the upside of having an infinite invasion item and charming simplicity, but I loved 2's addition of dedicated multiplayer arenas and I liked that there were more to choose from. I really dislike 2 overall, but going to the first belltower and surviving against hordes of bellfags with the whip that did more damage at the tip is some of the most fun I've had in any Souls game.

Demon's (and Bloodborne, if you count it) are my favourites in the series, but I recognise that their PVP is probably the worst.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of that stuff echoed before. I'm used to no poise since I've played DeS and BB more than DaS 1 or 2, but taking it out is a pretty massive step back. The lack of replayability is what kills my interest in it, really. That's one of my favourite aspects of the series.

The level geometry yes, absolutely especially the crystal cave and the crystal golem on a fucking crystal of baby oil.

As far as hitboxes go shut up nigger you haven't a clue, there are a few BAD hitboxes in DaS, DaS is nothing but shit hitboxes.

That's a straight-up lie. In DaS you're lucky to even connect to another player, in DS3 I can count the amount of times I was killed by a shitty connection on one hand out of thousands of invasions.
While I agree with you in that you have less options to divert from the main path, it doesn't matter how many exploration options you have if none of them are enjoyable. DS3 has less branching paths, but all of them are significantly more enjoyable than what DS2 gave you. The best DS2 areas were on-par with the DS3 swamp.

matthewmatosis.txt

I liked some of the armour and enemy designs from DSII, but that's it. DSI is the only one I've beaten, II and III were too boring.
Demon's/Bloodbourne port never ever

I don't have a problem with the alonne knights and undead aberrations (the monsters appear in Sinners Rise and Aldia's Keep) except for their animations too fast making them look disjointed. What's wrong with the darkdwellers? Their range is longer than their arms suggest but I don't have an issue with their animation. The falconer on the other hand, jesus christ what intern thought of that? Look at the embed, who the fuck would choose that over a human/NPC character model who wears the Falconer set?
I don't know, DaS2 runs really well on PC. It can run flawlessly at 60 FPS on my shitty laptop.
Even if they assume the first ogre will break down the wall (and you lure it to the secret chest behind the breakable door, the second ogre is bullshit unless you swerve from the door to the item on the side. Really needs to be more tells for that.
Just about every game has cut content, DeS had Land of the Giants cut. To me it really feels that Bamco put pressure onto FROM to release early while Sony gave FROM more time/less stress with DeS/BB.
To me the only shit encounter with a bunch of enemies is in the Iron King DLC, one room had a big high health/damage enemy, a handful of strong knights and a bunch of little barrel guys that explode, if you drop down you trigger an idol which reduces the damage all enemies take in the area by like 50-75%. The best way to clear the room is to just shoot everything with arrows through the drop down gaps. Outside this, there isn't anything too unmanageable.

It seems they thought "the players will think they have a short combo, go to attack then get hit by the longer combo" which instead makes you just wait while they finish their combo attacking air.
It feels like they designed the maps first AND THEN added a bunch of convenience bonfires for fast merchant access. In Tseldora there is a fucking bonfire (after congregation) and another bonfire like 20seconds after it if you go down the ropes.
Aldia was added for free in an update for vanilla and is included in the base SotFS game.
DaS3 did anti-twinking better, can only invade someone with a +/- 2 weapon upgrade difference, only carry X amount of items (so mules can't spam 99 divine blessings). But they fucked it up with parries/backstabs with hornet ring.

Pirate SotFS and see if it can run on your computer, some issues were fixed (durability, tighter hitboxes, slightly better netcode). Prioritize leveling ADP over all else until you get to like 24 (which gives around 100 AGI) and the game will be much more enjoyable.

Worse than DaS2, it feels like a Dark Souls 0.9. Weapon variety is almost zero since most weapons of the same class have the same moveset/range it's just stat differences so there is always a winner in each category (dark sword, estoc, carthus curved sword). Reapers are complete shit, twinblades are removed entirely. Vitality and armor are a dead end, defense is shit, poise doesn't exist, no reason not to stay at 69.9% weight with the lowest VIT as possible, armor is cosmetic essentially. Durability is a joke, you'll never have a weapon break unless it's the moonlight great sword spamming its special attack, you will literally never have your armor broken as it's impossible unless you give yourself unlimited HP and stand near enemies for 2 hours since you'd die and run out of all 15 estus by the time you take enough damage to reduce your armor to half. Everyone can sippy in PvP which is just unfun, even in DaS2 phantoms were unable to sip after being invaded. Pyromancy now requires stats to use, so now their build resembles more of a mage and goes against the DaS notion of pyromancy. Magic is shit until end game since you need 3 rings, crown of dusk and an offhand dagger that increases magic damage to be viable, this makes all mage builds the fucking same since everyone needs that setup.

The PvP is a fucking mess, killing people is difficult due to lag/rolling/sippy so every fucking faggot (see streamers, reddit) goes for parrying + hornet ring, with a ultra heavy weapon that's an instant kill unless you've stacked vigor/life rings. Trying to hit a faggot that just keeps rolling away is really difficult to do, even with a fast weapon pushing rolls becomes a gamble based on your connection. Poison is shit, bleed is too good unless you roll as it procs like in DaS1 then you take no damage. Split damage is worse than garbage which make quality/buffing the only viable option. 0 poise so stunlocks happen with everything which pushes the game towards faster weapons. Every weapon has 360 degree tracking which favors spamming since every attack auto readjusts the direction you are facing, no more tracking arcs.

I could go on for more.

Living in the land that lost the emu war, in DaS2 I could reliably fight russians without much bullshit.

DaS1 was shit but it never had the desync issues that DaS3 has, I think they are on the same level.
All this laggy bullshit happens as much as non-laggy games.

So wait, why do Giants in DaS2 have gigantic gaping maws?

Don't forget the issue where phantoms aren't even allowed to enter the boss room to begin with.