Good mage games

What games make you feel like a mage? Most rpgs just cast the spells with a quick hand twitch
What games let you cast spells with a long, verbose formula with the mandatory magic casting dance? Or at least, let you cast big spells that do something awe inspiring, like a real storm (not just a small cloud with sparks inside), change the terrain, etc
Gothic kind of does this, but I need more

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TGqvSBl-Ymo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

DS3 pre-patch.

Can someone please post the DD:DA mage webm? I only have the warrior one.

Dragon's Dogma takes the crown here, hands down. Nothing tops the feeling of wielding cosmic power in the high tier sorcerer spells. Notable mention goes to PSO2, but not for the feeling of powerful, one shot attacks, but more the feeling of adaptability and combat prowess that a magic user should have.

I havent downloaded dragon's dogma yet because from waht I've seen the characters are just generic npcs with a few lines and the story is just as plain

It's got some nice spells but I wouldn't say it gives a great mage feeling. The spells are pretty big and feel good but I always preferred melee combat.

It's a shit game but with enough mods Skyrim can make a decent mage game. I usually prefer to download a vampire overhaul on top of a magic overhaul and a lot of new spells then make a undead vampire mage. It hasn't got many big spells and the combat is still generally bad but it can be a pretty fun mage experience.

There's only one reason to play DD.

Arx Fatalis
Dungeon Crawler where the whole world is underground
To use magic you have to draw runes in the air with your mouse

Forgot to say, there's also hidden/secret spells you can discover by combining magic runes

it doesn't do a very good job of explaining the story,but its pretty ok you just need to pay attention/read some items.talk to everyone, the important npcs can be pretty good at times, its definitely combat > story tho, definitely read a quest guide

I modded Skyrim to have shit like jumping spells and that was a major improvement. The stuff that lets you combine magic and combat is the best. It still gets really boring after a while, though.

DDDA is a very polarizing game. You either become so addicted to it that you actively shill it everywhere or think it's utter shit and quit playing, at best, after beating one of the bosses once, and after being assraped by forest bandits at worst. There's no middle ground. Playing Sorcerer in it is satisfying though, this coming from someone who always hated magic-using classes in RPGs.

DnD. Or Magic The Gathering. Most PC RPGs have magic that plays more like a gaudy FPS than actual magic.

Age of Wonders
Global spells are the shit.

He means how magic works in real life, stop being difficult.

Magic or sorcery is the use of rituals, symbols, actions, gestures, and language with the aim of exploiting supernatural forces. The belief in and practice of magic has been present since the earliest human cultures and continues to have an important spiritual, religious, and medicinal role in many cultures today.

Directly from Wikipedia.

Gaudy fps magic still fits the definition.

That doesn't make it good. Or mechanically or thematically interesting. It is lazy design, typical of most PC games these days.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with you.
I just thing you're a raging homosexual for thinking there are design choices that make "real" magic.

What about in virbus vertus? It's a game where you have to remember all the magic words and speak them to cast spells. Pretty fun stuff.

Diablo 2 and Magicka are best for extreme magical power.

Arx Fatalis is best for having the casting itself being fairly involved, although Magicka isn't that bad in that regard either. Expect to spend a fair amount of time in both of these getting the hang of casting.

Guild Wars is best for depth of functionality and interaction of the spells themselves and their effects, especially in PvP if you can find players. Features multiclassing in a Primary/Secondary format. You can change Secondary but not Primary.

Diablo 2 and Guild Wars offer the best necromancer experiences. Warlords Battlecry 2 is also decent for this if you want an RTS; just create a necromancer hero or play as the undead faction or both at once.

EYE: Divine Cybermancy deserves mention for having a weird and cool array of spells and weird shit going on, and is probably the best implementation of being a battlemage. Playing as a pure spellcaster is less viable: it's meant to augment the sword & gun combat, not replace it. Guild Wars also offers several distinct battlemage options (two battlemage classes, one that can run a battlemage build, and of course multiclassing).

Morrowind offers a solid "wizard" experience complete with two faction questlines, the ability to construct a wizard's tower, and all sorts of books and artifacts to collect. Arx Fatalis also offers a solid wizard experience in terms of collecting and gathering magical stuff, but is more linear and shorter. Both feature enchanting and alchemy.

Nox offers a more lightweight but even faster-paced version of Diablo 2 - casting is, again, just the press of a button, but your aim is very important and a skilled Wizard player can kick some serious ass. There are far less enemies and it is less spammy; death has greater consequences.

Dark Messiah offers fun physics-oriented spellcasting. Telekinesis to throw objects or even enemies, tossing a jug of oil on enemies and lighting them on fire, guidable fireballs, making enemies slip on a patch of ice, etc.

Lichdom Battlemage is shit, don't play it.

I think that covers most of it.

I'm surprised nobody's posted Dominions yet.
There is not a single flavor of magic that's not in this game.

It even has a fucking wish spell, like in /tg/ RPGs.

MAGICKA
A
G
I
C
K
A

youtube.com/watch?v=TGqvSBl-Ymo

Elements are represented by letters on the keyboard, and you cast spells by combining them as "combos", playing co-op opens interesting opportunities such as crossing lasers to create an even stronger laser and such.
Another layer of complexity is given by the fact you can cast on yourself or around you, so casting a shield+rocks on the ground will create a Wall around you, while casting it on yourself will give you a physical barrier.

But I'm in the middle ground.
It was alright, but not really worth all the hype around it. It also felt really unfinished.
I was generally unsatisfied, but I had a fair amount of fun and there were genuine "wow" moments.

Arx Fatalis

very good taste user

true, but read the OP

A game that makes you feel like a mage, obviosuly referencing a roleplaying Game. Dominions you are doing things on the strategical and tactical level.

MUSCLE WIZARDS

How is something as potentially versatile as magic so underutilized?
Where are the transformation spells?, Where are the psychic manipulation spells?, where are the illusions and the teleportation spells?
You could do anything with magic with some imagination.

Age of Wonders
Then magicka and diablo 2
Some Warcraft 3 maps feel magey enough too.
Oh, and Vindictus. Pic related.

Generic Dragon's Dogma reply

Travel without pawns for the ultimate wandering wizard adventure

ey man that never ends well especially since most people make female pawns

you know exactly what he meant, you shitty pedant queerbait.

My Dragon's Dogma experience was basically reverse Berzerk.

Not an FP…M? but Empire Earth's phrophets do seriously fuck shit up.
They had more but I can't remember.

And the best part is when you save enough Prophets until the nano-bullshit age with mechas. Because that aerial whirlwind does a fuckton of damage to flying robots just as well.