ADDICTED

ADDICTED

Anons, help

Ever since my main pc started acting up I've picked up this old childhood gem and now a single hour can't go by without it invading my thoughts, urging me to play it – but I've been playing for almost 5 days straight! HELP

This is the most retarded name for a genre ever. Even Roguelike is most descriptive, eg "a game that is similar to Rogue"

4X tells you NOTHING. You already have to have knowledge of the genre to describe it. Maybe there would be a better variety of games in it if it wasnt so obtuse.

4X tells you something when you expand the term into it's longer name (it's not like you can't type it into the search engine).

like assfaggots or crapcunts

First, that's a retarded condition, and two, it's not even true. Explore, expand, exploit, exterminate is not specific enough to define civ-likes, since it applies to most RTSes just as well.

That's a decent point actually user.. It certainly wasn't around back when this first came out, these games were just considered alternate iterations of civilisation I think.

Thinking about playing jagged alliance 2 to give myself a breather from Alpha Centauri, but I strongly remember losing my saves to file corruption around day 26 so I'm not too keen, downloaded 1.13 though so hopefully that won't happen again.

It's ok, no one plays games to have fun anyway.

What no fuck you fite me

>tfw I'd always have that guy on my team back when KOF was on gametap, and gametap wasn't hijacked by greed, and the site

I don't know user, I think this game just brings out the best in people VENDETTA ON YOU :^)

All that bitch does is sit in her five-tile-apart cities and play BR diplomacy (gib tribut or i atack u HUEHUEHUEHUEUHE).
Free market nigger best leader.

Tbf m8, haven't played as anyone but her yet - got mighty far in my first game played on talent because I'm not a fucking scrublord but had to scratch it because I kept nerve gassing the hive and Deidre joined Yang to give me a fine spitroasting. Felt for a few turns like I needed a fresh start anyway so I started a new game but still hold on to those saves for some reason, even though I kinda fucked it from the start but was kinda doing okay if I wasn't being too cocky

>puts up a fair fight thanks to technological stalemate, but his probes do most of the work fuck probes
>MASSIVE counterattack Realise afterwards miriam has +25% to attack, FUCK!
>His Massive stacks of shitty units get nuked by planet buster :^)
>Pretty chuffed even though I probably just got lucky >even though I never save scummed once tbf did some fairly indegenous start scumming though

These fucking anarcho-capitalist memes are hilarious, post more.

I agree! I do still want to stay relevant to the thread though, user even though nobody probably plays this game or gives a shit because their probably too busy sucking off nip devs, I'm probably just doing this more for me at this point

Started 3rd game

>bored with predictable leader profiles (Lal being a bitch, Deirdre being a bitch because of free market, morgan being a bitch because of green economy good trader though, Zokharov being best bro until ASSIMILATION TIME yang being a fucking insane sociopath, ditto miriam, etc)

>Finish off Miriam HQ and declare war on drone guy because I wanna get some nice land even though game stats same that I'm overall best, even though I clearly am not

>Hive declares war because I say no to his demands this fucking guy I swear

Thinking about playing alpha centurai all day
I am obsessed
I want to think of a similarly good in depth game that I haven't played much, but I can't
This game is incredible
/v.. I think need an intervention.

Checked

Ahhh.. Should have known it would get derailed this quick.. Welp Posted the same one twice my bad

It's a good game user

She's a fucking cunt when the AI plays her. She will constantly pick fights and invading her is a pain because she builds these perfect arrays of cities so she can crank out units.

Yang's also a cunt but at least he can be reasoned with. I remember one game he used me for a proxy war and handed me a new unit like every fucking turn. It was actually a pain in the ass because I couldn't build my own superior units and I'd spend 10+ minutes every turn manuevering my giant army around. I sprang for a diplomacy victory because the game stopped being fun. Don't be on the receiving end of that shit.

Say no more.

Okay, that's enough. Back to SMAC.

I'm not even sure it's possible to win any other victory because the other factions are so aggressive :'(

I know man, but I've just been playing it so much and I kinda wanna play a different game, but every time I even think about it, I can't stop thinking about alpha centauri, even though the way I'm playing it will almost always end in conquest victory and vendettas.

I do fucking love this meme though fam, remember seeing it ages ago and thinking that there wasn't enough pics.Glad someone else been doing it as well ;)

Are there people who who actually think an anarcho-capitalist system would work?

Yes. See /liberty/

Embrace the addiction and hope a spiritual successor comes into this reality

Yes

Probably The world is a big place tbh fam, all kinds of crazy shit is going on out there, stuff that we don't even know about. A lot of people think it doesn't happen because they don't know about it, but that's just flat out retarded if you ask me..

Greentexted second line, my apologies..

Also just a thought but does anyone play multi of this game still? Think it might be quite cool to play multi or even play by hotseating different factions.

No, it was civ5 in space and had nothing in common with SMAC

Excellent! Good to see these are still circulating :')

Shit.. Guess that's why so many people were disappointed then..

OH MY GOD FPS TELLS ME NOTHING ABOUT A GAME'S GENRE IT'S JUST "FUPS" YOU HAVE TO ALREADY HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT FPS MEANS TO KNOW WHAT IT IS A BLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO

I was hoping someone would at least do a overhaul of the game and made something unique and fun out of the boring mess of the game it was, but since it was so unpopular there wasn't a chance someone would care to deal with it, especially since the modding is gimped on purpose because Fraxis is retarded.

Anarchist capitalism is a fancy way of spelling "how everyone acts in a post-civilization collapse society".

which is a fancy way of the old proverb "might makes right".

Forget basic understanding, are you mentally alright user ?

You know it's interesting. Probably going to derail the thread again by doing this, but because the game is also old I guess it's still kinda related. I remember the games I played most as a child were UT 2003 and UT 2004, not just because I had that they had great content on their own, but because they spawned a fuckton of mods and allowed those mods to be played in multiplayer, essentially permitting endless amounts of experiences to be had and made in multi and even singleplayer.

And then UT3 came along, and ruined the whole experience for me. It was in actuality an okay game with some nice ideas, but it was littered with massive changes, and even though at the time part of me accepted that this was the dev's vision pic related and I wanted to support them in that, my mind silently rebelled against the changes that were now becoming mainstream; not just in UT, but in games that were slowly becoming less and less user base focused the massive differences between cod 4 and modern warfare 2 multiplayer for example.. If only I knew how bad things were going to get. I probably would have wanted to make my own game sooner.

WELL ANYWAY

I dunno man, I never played it.. It at least looked interesting enough for me to want to check out, but I judged from the reviews and I didn't even touch it.. Just looking for more decent 4X games/good games in general that will run on my toaster pc now..

It's an interesting idea, but what if someone get's lost walking from weed town and finds themself in rape town.. Is that fair? And what is stopping them from taking their rape anywhere else.. I mean, their rapists for fucks sake, do they really care what other people think of them or want them to do? Probably just looking into this too much, but it is kinda insulting how people think this idea could actually work, when in reality you're just letting a lot of sex offenders roam free.

How about what if the inhabitants of raider town decide to pillage the village of farmers? The whole concept relies on anbsolute and utter isolationism of all these towns, as even trade would be impossible with many such places (good luck selling shit to thief town), on the towns thus being self sufficient. More than that, it relies on dissenting people simply moving elsewhere, but just looking at the world we live in proves this concept absolutely false. If this sytem worked, there would be no revolts as all the dissatisfied people would move into a different country, but that is not what's happening

They'd break their rape agreement.

As a guy who pirated it and played a few games, it was so devoid of content and incentive to keep playing the game. The dlc was an improvement but then everything stopped since Fraxis gave up on the game seeing no one cared anymore. Mods helped only so much and making the aliens more of a threat created some fun, but overall the game was shit and nothing can help it now.

You are thinking too much into it, but yeah letting people like that walk in their own community doesn't guarantee they will stay in it.

I do. That's why I find these images so funny.

Like someone else said, check out /liberty/. If I knew this would go full derail on a SMAC thread, I would've resisted posting the images.

If the towns were so far apart that they would inevitably avoid contact with eachother, then perhaps they could eventually learn to be self sufficient, but undoubtedly the most effective town would grow, expand and flourish into an empire, effectively creating society all over again and just leaving other communes that couldn't keep up as annexed territory

If the towns were close enough however, then I just see the apocalyptic sorta shit going on

And so on and so forth until they have a mixed community etc

It doesn't solve problems it just creates more, which I'm glad you've already covered but I am now adding more to that conclusion because I'm basically rambling.. also vid related somewhat

If they can break a consent agreement, I'm sure they can break a rape agreement, whether publicly or not, they inevitably will

Ahh that's a shame.. Haven't checked out the trailes for Civ 6 yet since I need to get a better pc first.. What does /v think of the new civ so far?

You have to admit that discussing the theories on how these ideas are supposed to work are at least interesting to discuss

there are numerous red flags surrounding the forthcoming civ 6, for one thing the leaders were drawn and animated by tumblr, and the same guy who programmed Civ5's moronic AI is project lead for the new one

definitely pirate if you play it at all, probably better off just sticking with SMAC

Ahh, was waiting for someone to post this image.. Nicely done :^)

Might just do that just to check out what's going on.. Still, I don't believe I'm so libertarian to propose that rapists get their own community where they can act freely etc

Yea I noticed the dodgy appearances of the faction leaders.. It's nice to think that the quality of animation and graphics literally went down instead of up!

As much as I love SMAC, I'm a little bit conscious of the fact that military is basically a necessity in this game, especially seeing as the Hive, Miriam, and Spartans to name a few all seem hyper agressive, making adaptive play difficult; especially if you're right next to the bastards.

Every time

Which is shit useless unless you've played rogue.

Just got back into my latest game, and I can tell you that there's a reason I can't get this shit out of my head!! At first I thought I was gradually finding that the novelty was just wearing off and that I was beginning to see the game for it's faults, but actually the reverse is happening - the more I play the game the more I see just how many variables are at play:

>Deidre is currently top of the foodchain according to the game
>Then, Use the accumulated assets to annihilate Deidre with an army of choppers and the support of both Zakh and Morgan Guessing they're not chuffed over her either.

I think this just goes to show just how well the original devs did in making this masterpiece, not just aesthetics, but with lore, AI, design and programming. Everything about it is fucking great, and I realise now that the game wasn't calling to me because I first played it when I was 8 and was pretty shit, but because the game *is* on a different fucking level to anything else ever made, and it's a fucking travesty that Firaxis and Sid Meier have virtually never looked back since. but with the way x-com 2 turned out, perhaps that's for the best