3DS CFW+Homebrew: A9LH on 9.2 Edition

INSTALLATION GUIDE
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
>How do I get homebrew and prepare for CFW?
First, quit being such a massive faggot, and then find your firmware version below. Then see smealum.github.io/3ds/, unzip the starter kit to your SD card, and follow instructions to setup the Homebrew Launcher.
>9.0 or under:
Find a way to load Decrypt9 on your version (MSET For 4.x or 6.x, most likely browser otherwise): github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Decrypt9) then proceed normally.
>9.0-9.2:
Follow the guide as normal. On New 3DS, you can now install arm9loaderhax without downgrading past 9.2 through the homebrew launcher.
>9.3-9.8:
Use browserhax, optionally install menuhax as a more permanent solution. Downgrade as normal then proceed normally.
>O3DS 9.9-10.3:
If you have the update nag that prevents you from using the web browser, change your system's date to January 1st, 2000 at 00:00, initialize savedata, and immediately use browserhax. Don't exit the browser using the home button, or you'll have to reinitalize save data.
>N3DS 9.9-10.1:
If you have the nag, you can beat it by opening the web browser as fast as you can from boot before the update nag kicks you out. Bookmark the applicable browserhax link, use as quickly as possible. You'll have about 30 seconds. Install menuhax immediately afterwards.
>10.3-10.7:
Browserhax and menuhax are usable.
>11.0-11.1:
You can not run any CFW
Downgrading is now possible with hardmod, or with software ONLY IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A 3DS WITH CFW. github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/DSiWare-Downgrade
If you're interested in doing a hardmod, a guide is available here: gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/ Downgrade from 11.0 with a hardmod is outlined in the A9LH Guide.
On 11.0, Homebrew is accessible with Browser/Menuhax.
For 11.1, everything from 11.0 applies, but browserhax and menuhax have been patched, so no more homebrew either without freakyforms or otherwise.

Other urls found in this thread:

gbatemp.net/threads/wip-faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/
archive.is/SsDyf
gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-a-64gb-micro-sdxc-in-your-sdhc-compliant-flash-cart.335912/
modchipsdirect.com/r4i-3ds-r4ds-wood.html
github.com/Cruel/freeShop/releases
3ds.titlekeys.com/downloadenc
3ds.titlekeys.com/
3dsiso.com/
3dschaos.com/
3ds.titlekeys.com
3ds.jdbye.com/
my.mixtape.moe/efbioi.zip
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases
astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/
github.com/Hamcha/lumaupdate/releases
gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/
github.com/44670/BootNTR/releases
github.com/astronautlevel2/BootNTR/releases
pastebin.com/UdL5SN04
volafile.io/r/BBBzZ24
pastebin.com/qKJCrFQZ
archive.fo/MdXHi
gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/
rodrigoroman.com/rrc2soft/nds_dsknytt.html
mega.nz/#!nNJh1LTQ!G4Vymc-NNMtRkEwzLXd0W3Q8uoDC7Xr_RJm4tPOE8dg
nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=146
mkey.salthax.org/
github.com/AuroraWright/SafeA9LHInstaller
a.pomf.cat/drkowb.rar
3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/276934-mega-shin-megami-tensei-iv-undub-1-0-usa-region-free.html
3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/276946-mega-shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse-undub-1-0-usa-region-free.html
3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/271417-gdrive-fast-billy-cia-eshop-undub-yo-kai-watch-2-river-city-tokyo-rumb-01-10-a.html
3dsiso.com/cia-format-dlc-s-themes-and-updates/276920-mega-persona-dlc-undub-usa.html
3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/277021-mega-devil-survivor-1-overclocked-undub-1-1-usa-region-free.html
3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/277023-mega-devil-survivor-2-record-breaker-undub-1-0-usa-region-free.html
volafile.io/get/8dDxPiUHw64kJ/1502 - River City - Ransom EX (U)(Venom).cia
gbatemp.net/threads/r4-stage2-twl-flashcart-launcher-and-perhaps-other-cards-soon™.416434/
youtube.com/watch?v=zrTe80tTb2k
rinnegatamante.it/site/3ds_hbs.php
3dsiso.com/cia-format-dlc-s-themes-and-updates/265925-mega-gdrive-usa-3ds-theme-collection-273-themes-updated-september-04-2016-a.html
3dsiso.com/cia-format-dlc-s-themes-and-updates/267095-mega-multi-official-themes-chmm-region-free-30-09-16-a.html
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Homebrew-Launcher-(Browser).
yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax_auto.php
amazon.com/New-Nintendo-3DS-White-Japan/dp/B00NAW5R0I/ref=sr_1_9?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1475457227&sr=1-9&keywords=new 3ds
github.com/AuroraWright/arm9loaderhax/commits/master
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Frequently Asked Questions
>CFW??!?¿?
Luma3DS is the most popular CFW and supports A9LH, as well as having a number of features such as Region Free, Language Emulation, Automatic AGB_FIRM patching, Automatic flash cart unblocking, Auto-Update blocking, RO Patching (Special features for romhacks) and more.
Reinand appears to still be worked on, but the creator has indicated that they want to work privately from now on. Reinand also supports Region Free, Auto-Update blocking, RO Patching, and more.
rxTools is now out of date and lacks support for newer features as well as no longer under active development. If you have been using it previously, it is advised to switch.
All CFWs support both O3DS and N3DS.
For additional features such as cheats, save states, screenshots, and screen capture(NEW 3DS ONLY), use your CFW of choice to launch NTR CFW.
For more detailed info about each CFWs feature set, go here: gbatemp.net/threads/wip-faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/
Do further, thorough research on your own. Ask smart questions here.
>Is updating my emuNAND safe and/or can I update on A9LH?
Yes, you should always stay up to date.
>Installing Luma3DS/Updating from rxTools
Using the links below, get the latest version of luma. copy the arm9loaderhax.bin to the root of your SD card, go into the hax folder and copy the 3ds folder to your SD. If you're using a bootmanager simply make an entry in the boot.cfg. This will allow you to load luma through the homebrew launcher.
On first boot, hold select to open the menu, and check "show current nand in system settings" as well as "enable region emulation", and if you like the gba boot screen you can enable that as well. Copying arm9loaderhax.bin does not install arm9loaderhax, this is simply where the cfw is stored.
>What's a .CIA?
CIA stands for CTR Importable Archive, where CTR stands for the codename of the 3ds. In simpler terms, a .cia is simply an installable package you can launch from your homescreen.
>What's emu/sysNAND?
sysNAND is the core system files that your 3DS uses, including the Home Menu and system titles such as the browser and system settings. emu/redNAND are a cloned version of this that runs off of your SD card instead of the built-in chip on your 3DS.
>What is Arm9LoaderHax?
Arm9LoaderHax or A9LH is an entrypoint for booting into emu or sysNAND. The advantages of A9LH include 100% boot rate, and execution before boot. If you install A9LH, you can get rid of emuNAND and load an updated sysNAND to install .cia.
The installation requires a one-time downgrade to 2.1.0 in order to dump OTP (One-Time Programmable console-specific information). A9LH does still support booting of emuNAND if need be, but the most popular option is to update sysNAND and use it.
A9LH protects from softbricking once installed, as it can load before the 3ds boots and flash a backup nand image. If you're familiar with the Wii, it's similar to BootMii or Priiloader.
Menuhax vs. A9LH: archive.is/SsDyf
>Can I upgrade SD Cards/Can I use 64GB+ SD Cards?
The 3DS can support any SD card formatted FAT32. You can do this on your 3DS using emunand9, or you can use tools like this: gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-a-64gb-micro-sdxc-in-your-sdhc-compliant-flash-cart.335912/
Yes, you can transfer your files to a larger SD if you desire. On A9LH you need only copy your files to the larger SD. If you're on emuNAND there's a more detailed process:
First, backup all your old SD Card's files, and make an emunand dump with Emunand9. Hit eject, insert your new SD card, go to SD Format Options, and do format (minsize) if using rednand. If unsure, just do format (emunand default). This creates a partition on your New SD and formats it correctly.
Restore your emunand onto your new SD card and then copy all of your files off, you've successfully upgraded your SD.
>Can I play original DS Roms?
Not without a flashcart. SD Loading is on the way, but there's no real expected timeline.
>What Flashcart should I get?
The cheapest and best option is the r4i 3ds: modchipsdirect.com/r4i-3ds-r4ds-wood.html Avoid r4i-SDHCs. Their firmware is on a timer and the card will brick itself in a year so you have to buy a new one. The Menu is slow, and if you get a replacement for it it causes compatibility issues.

ROMS WHERE
Disregard .3ds rom dumps - this is a format for flash carts and citra only.
Downloading roms directly from nintendo is possible, and recommended as a first approach before visiting external sources, excluding the obvious such as romhacks.
If you would like to download roms direct from nintendo's servers on your 3ds you can use freeshop: github.com/Cruel/freeShop/releases After installing, open freeshop, go to Settings>Update and enter 3ds.titlekeys.com/downloadenc or visit 3ds.titlekeys.com on your computer and click the QR button, then Scan.
on your PC you can also generate FBI-Scannable QR codes by visiting 3ds.titlekeys.com/ and clicking on a title, then clicking the generate QR button.
3dsiso.com/ and 3dschaos.com/ are the most commonly used sites for finding roms.
You can search for titles on 3ds.titlekeys.com and you can view the completion here: 3ds.jdbye.com/ (Non-VC only right now) If you own a game on eShop that's marked in red for your region, consider submitting it.
>Can I dump a cart to a .cia?
Previously dumping carts was a pain in the ass, but decrypt9 can now dump carts directly to cia easily, go to Gamecart Dumper > Dump to CIA.
>Can I convert a .3ds to a .cia?
Yes, with Decrypt9 simply go to Content Decryptor > NCCH/NCSD > NCCH/NCSD to CIA.
>How does 3ds.titlekeys.com/ get keys?
The encTitleKeys site most commonly used is dependent on user submissions. If you own an eshop title that isn't available on 3ds.titlekeys.com/ you can add it yourself for all to download.
Using Decrypt9, go to titlekey options, then titlekey decrypt for your respective nand. This will dump a decTitleKeys.bin, which is different than an encTitleKeys.bin. you can submit it to the website, where it will be added.
You can create an encTitleKeys dump using Titlekey Dump. The site doesn't take these, but the file will be usable for anyone with freeshop or ciangel.
Downloads
Basic Utilities Pack: my.mixtape.moe/efbioi.zip This should cover most of your needs, start here for basic useful tools
Luma3DS (Formerly AuReiNAND) Download: github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases
Luma3DS Nightly Builds: astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/
Luma3DS updater CIA: github.com/Hamcha/lumaupdate/releases
In-depth Arm9LoaderHax information: gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/
NTR CFW: github.com/44670/BootNTR/releases 3.4 is New 3DS only, 3.2 supports O3DS. No longer in development, but still useful for features.
Updated BootNTR: github.com/astronautlevel2/BootNTR/releases
A Bunch of 3DS .cia's: pastebin.com/UdL5SN04
3DSISO/3DSChaos Accounts: user: eightvee pass: veeeightbunker
New™ 3DS Vola: volafile.io/r/BBBzZ24
Vola User: 3DSOP pass: password!1
Current OP Pasta: pastebin.com/qKJCrFQZ
Last Thread: archive.fo/MdXHi

First for emuserfs running out of excuses to upgrade.

What's a "serf"?

serf (sûrf)►

n.
A member of the lowest feudal class, attached to the land owned by a lord and required to perform labor in return for certain legal or customary rights.

Can we play DS roms from SD yet?

Thank you, I think that describes Gateway users well actually.

Wait six months and then ask again.

whats going to happen in six months? Are they actually working on it?

Gateway, emunand, it might as well be the same thing nowadays with how easy a9lh is to install.

I have a couple of questions my friend:

1.) Can you downgrade freely to any firmware in A9LH?

2.) If I fucked up in A9LH, what restoring process am I supposed to do? (eg. similar back then to emunands, wherein you can backup and restore your emunand using emunandtool)

3.) Is it safe to upgrade to the latest firmware(if there's any more to come) in A9LH?

You can downgrade as much as you want with a9lh. If you fuck up a nand you can restore a backup before the 3ds boots using tools. Fucking up a9lh itself is nigh on impossible unless you're really really retarded and going out of your way to break firm0/firm 1 which is otherwise untouched by anything and protected after boot by cfw. It's perfectly safe to update.

After your et it up you'll have an updated cfw sysnand, basically like having a stock 3ds with cfw installed.

Yes, but there isn't much reason to.

Fucking up a9lh is a hard thing to do. All it is is put file here and execute this program. If you get an error you most likely just put a file in the wrong place.

Updating emunand/sysnand with a9lh is safe. For the latter make sure you have a cfw that prevents firm 0&1 from being overwritten, which luma3ds does.

emunand did nothing wrong

The downgrade part is easiest part of A9LH to fuck up, download wrong firmware to flash and you're fucked.

Someone help me with this step

My H&S app was already injected with FBI prior to doing. Am I suppose to dig up my fresh H&S.app?

Yes it did. Emunand is fucking shit and the only reason I'm not switching to A9LH on n3DS right now after the new exploit came out is because I'm a lazy shit and I'm burned out after walking a friend through installing CFW for the first time.

I just upgraded from Emunand to A9LH
wow, this shit is too easy, I could probably do it in my sleep.

Kudos to the people that made this process easier.

Learn to fucking read.
You were supposed to restore the HS app to its original state after installing FBI with it.

Don't worry about it, I had the same issue and it hasn't caused any problems.

People who injected FBI into their H&S before A9LH generally didn't bother backing up the original beforehand.

I know, I'm supposed to, but I don't have the original HS app anymore.

So this step is irrelevant in my case?
Can I use my O3DS' H&S app to my N3DS?

I think I lost my original H&SS app backup

But the guide explicitly tells you to back it up, how can people fuck up this badly?
Unless there was some older guide that forgot to mention backing up?

Its pointless the backup your H&S app if it was already injected in the first place with FBI prior to previous installation of emunand.

I upgraded from Emunand to A9LH. Not a fresh installation of A9LH

Would anybody be so kind as to make a CIA of Knytt Stories DS?
gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/
rodrigoroman.com/rrc2soft/nds_dsknytt.html

I remember someone tried to shill it on Holla Forums some time ago, and Holla Forums complained because "Tumblr noses", I think it looks good, but I can't try it right now. If anyone feel like, try it.

This can't be true… I had hope. Welp, I'll get the striker pack just to play the first one with the fix.

That's the japm language, fucking faggot. Go brag about speaking a dead language somewhere else ;-;

I'm still waiting for Dementium 2 Remaster and it's still not out.
Same with Moon Chronicles Episodes 5-8.

I'm probably the only person here that cares about Renegade Kid (that's the name of the studio) games.

Does restoring original H&S app after installing FBI.cia really necessary?

For some shit reason, I couldn't restore my original H&S app. Still shows as FBI

It's not necessary but it's recommended.

Due to reasons, a family wants me to mod a 3ds for a kid but want to keep parental controls (at least for a few more months), it's still possible to use HBL only accessed through boot right? If so, what should I do to make it happen?

Basically, the only thing he'll have in real homebrew would be lumaupdater.

Can you help me? When I inject my original H&S app. It just reverts back to the old FBI.

Am I supposed to inject it in Hourglass9->Emunand BackupRestore->Health&Safety Inject

Are you operating on Emunand or Sysnand though?
I don't use Emunand so I have no idea how the fuck that shit works nowadays, on A9LH you should be using Sysnand (and thus Sysnand BackupRestore ->HS Inject).

yeah I am on a9lh now therefore I did Sysnand Backup Restore -> HS Inject

Then am I take it you got it now? Or still got a problem?

Yeah I still got the problem. ;-;

Are you sure you're trying to inject original backed up HS and not the FBI one?

WHAT EXACTLY is your bloody problem?

Seems like you should do the following:
If he's cluey enough to bypass things then he earns it.

Shit, there's an Unholy Heights port for 3DS. Fucking nice.

Why?

Make it look legit in case you'll need to use the warranty or sell your 3DS

I'm not gonna deny that, but again, it's only a few months since he'll be 18 soon. Until then I wanna be able to load games onto it with his parents' permission so need a bootload of HBL, this will do that?

What do you mean "bootload" of HBL?

So the kid is 17? Then why does it need parental locks he's at the age rating for any game released anyways?

Pretty sure I can get more for it if it's already CFW'd, user. Same deal with PS3.

Some people are retarded and would want legit "looking" one, not necessarily actually legit.

And the main reason is warranty obviously, without original HS you can forget about warranty.

Yeah I did… Is it possible to use other's H&S app?

Maybe I didn't properly backed up my original H&S app back then when I first did emunand.

Anyone know how CFW is coming along on Wii U?

Is there a way to delete games without going to the data and deleting it from there?

I kinda want to avoid the rebooting after leaving

I will next week

If you're injecting it properly then you just fucked up when backing up.

FBI -> Titles

thats what I was thinking, is it possible to inject other's H&S app?

Probably, I never tried though. I mean, I don't think HS is exclusive to a specific console but I could be wrong.

Hold down on starting up to load hbl

Short version, allow parental controls or get kicked out of the house.

Dude, chill. When it happens everyone will be talking about it. Just spend $10 on an R4 like the rest of us, you can always use it as a gift for a relative when you're done with it.

It's hard to be that retarded.

will the 1st generation of R4 work on a9lh?

I have A9LH installed is it safe to update to 11.1? Will it break anything?

I made a lewd edit of the Shantae theme that just came out.
Enjoy.

mega.nz/#!nNJh1LTQ!G4Vymc-NNMtRkEwzLXd0W3Q8uoDC7Xr_RJm4tPOE8dg

it is with Luma3DS

Like, from before R4i? I don't know. I lost mine ages ago.

Cool, thanks.

no… the first R4 without any "i"

I have it but I don't know if its going to work.
Can you link me an $10 DS flashcart?

nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=146

13, but close enough. Free shipping took a month, but it arrived in good condition so i'm happy.

And you may as well give yours a try regardless. No harm in it.

finally got it working.

I am injecting the wrong HS app one. I am supposed to put my original HS app on the file9 folder. I finally got my HS sigh…

Is it possible to update Mii plaza? Can't seem to find anything on it.

Thanks user

Just found this out as soon as I upgraded to a9lh, kek.

I've been wanting this back then, and all I needed to do was updating FBI.

How do I install VC now if I'm in a9lh?

The same way you did before.

I actually already forgot since I haven't touched my 3DS in months.

So now I just install it to my sysnand and that's it?

Yeah.

I know I'm a retarded nigger for even asking this because there's only a .000001% chance this has changed in the past couple weeks, but…

Can I do a system update from the system settings on N3DS if I'm on A9LH?

Or does Luma update also update the system firmware, just more safely? Or is that just the CFW that it updates?

Yeah as long as you're on Luma3DS(has something to do with Luma3DS preventing blah blah blah to get overwritten)

Just new to A9LH and did the latest update through system settings. I am now on 11.1 and everyone seems fine.

Okay, that's perfect. I'm on 11.0 CFW/Luma/A9LH, just wanted to buy a couple themes and needed to update to do so. Thanks user.

Anons, just a quick survey.

how many of you can access the eshop?

We talking over an hour "fast," or actually fast? I'm gonna do it either way since I'm going from ReiNAND to Luma3DS. Might as well go all the way.

Doing every. single. fucking. backup. meaning full SD images AND file backups, which saved my dumb ass a couple times using the plialect guide that was made a few months ago it took me about 8 hours total. Keep in mind this was also for a 128gb sd card, so taking a full image of that card on multiple occassions ate up the majority of that time.

Many anons here did not do a single backup, had no problems, and had it done in just a couplefew hours.

If you're on N3DS, the fact you don't need to downgrade to 2.1 anymore just makes it that much easier - I did a full backup before that step because it was one of the most perilous.

Seriously, it's fucking worth it.

pic related is my new splash screen.

Over an hour but it's a one-time expenditure of your time for superior brick protection and no real "gotchas" like you have with emuNANDs (merely updating from eShop or accidentally closing out of system settings = sysNAND upgrade = you're boned)

I find all the splashscreen in the gbatemp little bad for my taste. So I am creating my own. Possibly my own theme too.

If you don't appreciate POSTing, then stop doing it.

Took me 3 hours the first time, with a 64 gig card, where I misnamed a few files a couple times, and about 1 and 1/2 for the other 3 times.

I just updated to luma from rxtools and can use the eshop. I don't have anything I want to play on 3ds. Any recommendations?

Monster Hunter 4 (you can start with 3, it's a bit rougher, but it has some great atmosphere) and, if you haven't played them, the Phoenix Wright trilogy are good places to start.

What kinda stuff do you like?

I downloaded the themes update from freeshop and now I've got over 350 themes that need to be deleted before I can use one.

monster hunter

Legend of the Dark Witch Episode 2 is a fun platformer. The first one is pretty shovelware-tier but for some reason they stepped up.

Zizou is a qt too.

Is there a newer way to fix the Error 022-2634 when accessing eshop on a9lh? All the solution I find requires backing up emunand. a9lh don't deal with emunand anymore.

Nah, I care, they're one of the few people making FPS games for the 3DS and they're actually good too.

Went back and revisisted my Devil Survivor Overclocked undub, this time I'm 99.99% sure I didn't miss any lines.

Also undubbed Devil Survivor 2 while I was at it.

Need to test now but it should be fine since I double checked everything.

It should go well to compliment my PQ, SMT4 and SMT4A undub. I don't think I'll be undubbing any other 3DS titles after this since I don't see any that I'm interested in that would require an undub. Sorry if I'm crushing someone's dream for a request here.

That's a bit of a stretch since they're literally just graphically updated ports of DS games.
Moon, Dementium and Dementium 2 were all on DS. In fact the ports are so lazy that they use the pre-rendered cutscenes from DS version creating quite an unpleasant dissonance between cutscenes and gameplay.

With that said, I do like the improved controls and mechanics of the 3DS ports. Removing respawning enemies from Dementium is easily the main reason why I'll never touch the DS original anymore.

I have a few question regarding a9lh

1. Is backing up sysnand is equivalent to backing up emunand with emunandtool/etc? If so, what is the best tool for backing up and restoring sysnand?

2. Does backing up my sysnand also back up my savefiles?

Pretty much, EXCEPT when restoring you generally want to do it without touching the A9LH region. That should be the default behaviour of Hourglass9 though.
Not actually sure.

Holy shit I feel retarded for waiting this long, but also smart for waiting until it got this easy.

1. hourglass9 is the best tool as it prevents the user from removing al9h when restoring backups.
2. no, saves are stored in the 3ds folder on the SD. as long as that folder's there you'll get the saves "back" whenever you restore a sysnand backup, but if you want the saves backed up you'll need to backup that folder as well or use jksm for individual saves.

do what this user says:
and then you won't have to worry about hbl at all, it doesn't take very much extra time at all.

If you want to look legit you have bigger problems, namely that once you have an illegitimate app on your ticket.db you're fucked.

slow and shitty.

no.

yes, but you'll have to get a stage2 launcher from gbatemp.

always.

yes, open mii plaza and go to update in it.

always.

if you can't you fucked something up, or you did some dumb region switching shit.

it's hardly an hour anymore.

what a dumbass. Use CHMM2+.

you need to format your 3DS and then log back in to your nnid on your 3DS. this was a common problem with emunand setups in the past.

yes.
Only GBA/TWL save files. If you want to backup saves, use JK's save manager.

I struggle to call hourglass9 the 'best' tool so much as the 'safest' tool considering the sheer amount of options d9 has, but okay.

Seriously, like I said here it took me literally 45 seconds to install A9LH with prior knowledge. A first time install takes like 15 minutes if you're transferring from Emunand, 30-45 if you're going from fresh to A9LH. The only long part is backing up and reformatting your SD to remove the emunand partition.

This is all on n3DS, of course. o3DS still has to deal with that 2.1.0 bullshit so it takes like an extra 30 minutes or so.

I wanna format it but I don't want to lose my games and saves. Is there a way around it? I am totally drawing blank here.

also thanks for answering my other question.

backup your saves with JK's beforehand and make a nand backup. Format your 3DS then restore your nand and log back in (assmuing you don't have it linked with your current nand). otherwise, I think you can link it to the formatted nand and then restore but I'm not 100% positive that will work or not.

back up my sysnand using hourglass right? and restore it with it?

will JK back up all my saves automatically or I will have to back them one by one?

You'll have to back them up one by one. The system settings format will attempt to wipe your sd so just take it out after you open system settings, or I think you can use tinyformat as well. And yes use hourglass to backup/restore.

all your saves are held on the SD anyways so as long as you don't fuck it up it should be fine but just in case you can do backups one-by-one with JK's.

Your saves are tied to your NAND. If you make a NAND backup, it will also contain all of your saves.

awww. am i going to have to install my games too one by one?

Which games you have installed is also tied to your NAND. Just make sure you completely back up your SD card before you format your 3DS and you'll be fine.

Or just don't bother with the eshop. I don't know why you'd even care when freeshop exists.

if you have a nand backup and your games are still installed on your SD then once you restore they'll all come back.

If they make a nand backup they should be fine after they restore.

umm if my saves are contained to my nand, what's the point of backing up my saves with JK if my sysnand backup already contains all my save?

There isn't one.

If you want to transfer saves between consoles then you'll need a save manager. NAND backups only work on the console that creates them

ah so basically all i need to do is

will all my games and save still be there with this process?

everything will be the same as it was, but it will be on al9h.

Those are some weird fucken parents.

What are some games to play on the 3ds?
I only played pokemon and bravely default.
Just looked though this pic and the 3ds library looks kinda shit.

Some parents just take the law to seriously. Mine actually thought the government would put me on some sort of mentally deficient/ dangerous blacklist because I played an fps and plague inc.

user should point him to mkey.salthax.org/ when he gives it to him, if the guy isn't retarded he'll find his way over there soon enough anyways.

user it's time to try games out of your comfort zone.

Just to make sure I understand this properly, in order to switch from menuhax to A9LH all I have to do is underneath >Installing Luma3DS/Updating from rxTools? I haven't touched my 3ds in a while and all I remember is that I put menuhax on it. Now it seems that A9LH is a better alternative. I apologize for the retarded ass question, I'm just trying to understand.

no, that's just switching your CFW from rx to luma so you can load it through menuhax. If you want to install a9lh, you'll need to follow the guide. On O3DS the process is a little longer, but on new 3ds it should only take about a minute or two.

Just to make sure I understand this properly, in order to switch from menuhax to A9LH all I have to do is underneath "Installing Luma3DS/Updating from rxTools"? I haven't touched my 3ds in a while and all I remember is that I put menuhax on it. Now it seems that A9LH is a better alternative. I apologize for the stupid question, I'm just trying to understand this.

Fuck my bad for double post.

Ah, I see. Thank you. The guide you're referring to is the one at the very top right? I don't mind long processes since I'm using an O3ds.

yeah, the one linked at the top. Since you already have CFW you can skip to part 2, but remember to make a nand backup beforehand.

Will do. Thank you.

This. This is what Strange Journey should have had.

Has anybody had an issue where the ctrtransfer option doesn't appear under sysnand options in decrypt 9? I copied over the .bin and .bin.sha file and I don't see the option to transfer.

Is a9lh uninstallable? I ask because I need to sell one of my 3DS's, and I want it clean for the person who will eventually buy it.

make sure you have the latest version of decrypt9 on your 3ds.

it is uninstallable with an old dump without it, I think SafeA9LHInstaller has an option to uninstall but will throw a warning/error if you're on version 11.0 or higher.

oh fug, i realized i put the latest version in the files9 instead of the /3ds folder. thanks

I'm currently on a9lh 11.1, but I have a backup of 9.2 with a9lh installed on it. If I were to use hourglass to restore that backup into sysnand, would I be safe to remove a9lh using SafeA9LHinstaller then?

you should be able to then, and that's probably the best solution because it leaves it up to the next owner if they want to set it up with CFW or update it and leave it stock.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. I'll do this then, thanks.

How do I upload themes to 3dsthem.es? I made this one yesterday and I don't know how to "put it out there".

It uses stock sounds / bgm. I can't think of anything good for the base SuFami because well… it was fucking put game in -> play. I'd like to keep game music out of it. I just want basic SuFami.

Theme's based off the original boxart fwi

You probably have to make an account first, I've never tried to submit one though so I've got no clue.

I tried the mGBA emulator that came with the starter kit on my O3DS, it was slow as shit. Is there a GBA emulator that works on O3DS or am I stuck installing Virtual Console .cias?

Is it just coincidence that the 3DS and PSV hacks came out at around the same time after there being almost zero progress?

O3DS is stuck with VC cias.

3DS hacks were around for a pretty long time. Only last year did the more modern firmwares get hacked to make it so pretty much anyone can hack their 3DS. Not just some people who kept their 3DS on some ancient firmware.

I don't know what great games you are seeing, but they somehow don't interest me at all.

Did SD card pass through to DS mode get fleshed out yet?

Looks like shit

I just get a black screen when launching SafeA9LHinstaller.

are you on 9.2? If not make sure you're using the .bin payload and not the 3dsx version. On 9.2 you should be able to use the 3dsx version but the bin is probably a better call, maybe try using the last version instead of the latest as well (I haven't seen it since the update).

Mh4u
Try games out of your comfort zone

I am on 9.2. I've got the necessary files on the root of the SD cards and payload_stage1.bin and 2.bin in the a9lh folder. I'm not sure what else I could do to make it launch.

By 3dsx version, you mean the one you launch through homebrew channel? That's the version I'm using as well. I'm not really sure how I'd launch any other version.

if you already have a9lh installed you can load the .bin version of safea9lhinstaller like you use to load hourglass9 or decrypt9. You shouldn't need anything in the folder if you're just uninstalling it.

Since you're using the homebrew launcher it's probably just that it's failing to get arm9, which can happen with d9 as well. For the homebrew version I'd say just keep going, if you want to do it that way.

Oh, that makes sense. Where the heck do I download the .bin version? I'm only finding the 3dsx version here github.com/AuroraWright/SafeA9LHInstaller

I'm sorry if I'm being retarded right now.

Well fuck me. The name threw me off so I ignored that.

Will we ever get MHS?

Alright managed to get the luma 3ds menu to load up but on I can't get past step 4 of part 3 of the guide because whenever I turn the 3ds back on it just stays on a black screen. Anybody else had a similar issue?

hold select on boot and make sure autoboot sysnand is checked.

Did you check the proper things on the luma options? Like Autoboot sysnand?

yep autoboot sysnand is checked.

Alrighty, I successfully uninstalled a9lh. Thank you very much for the help, user.

what do your settings look like, then? You're not launching it from the homebrew launcher anymore, correct?

Absolutely disgraceful.
I tried the game on recommendation of a friend and I've been fucking hooked. I haven't played this much video games in MONTHS.

they're lucky it's hard to go wrong with the 3ds library, but there are some sinkers on that list.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I'm not using the homebrew launcher as of right now. My settings in the luma 3ds config are checked off as follows:
autoboot sysNand
Use SysNand FIRM if booting with R (A9LH)
Show NAND or user string in System Settings
Show GBA boot screen in patched AGB_Firm

I also didn't fuck around with the settings above. So Default Emunand is at 1, brightness at 4, splash is off, pin lock is off, dev features are off as well.

Once I press start to save so it reboots, it just stays on a black screen. The same happens when I turn it on normally. I've been thinking of repeating the steps in part 3, but first I wanted to see what I could've screwed up on.

If you're using homebrew launcher and emunand you need to make sure autoboot sysnand is unchecked, sysnand is for after the a9lh setup. the first boot can take a while.

Damn

Do I have to use NTR to grab screenshots? Why isn't that function in Luma? For that matter, why isn't it supported in the vanilla 3DS software, aside from Nintendo being shitty kikes?

right now it's either NTR or HANS. It's clearly harder than it seems or else it would be in luma right now. Nintendo is weird about that, it's techincally in the wii u with a strange roundabout way but for some reason they're weird about it. You can easily take a home screen screenshot with Y+up/down, but for some reason in-game is too much.

Like…?

I mean, he's already dead. This boss music is bitchin'.

There's literally nothing wrong, there. Arguably Federation Force but it's an ok multiplayer and DQ but it can be fixed.

Any game is fun multiplayer, that doesn't mean you reccomend it to people.
this isn't reccomending translation patches or undubs it's reccomending the games. For this reason I'd even say yo-kai watch isn't reccomendation worthy because of it's godawful teir dubbing.
Also, Zip Lash isn't even worth trying and Happy Home Designer is lifeless compared to New Leaf.
Most of the games here are only shit you'd reccomend last. It's the problem when you only try to reccomend recent games, when there's only been okay with some greats on the 3ds library
And seriously there's no fucking taiko no tasujin

You're retarded. Bad dub doesn't mean the game itself is bad. Also, you're recommending games, not your own taste, whether if you like them or not, you're recommending the most relevant games on the system, not "the best". If something, the chart should be more detailed on wheter there's a fandub of them or not.
At least there are autist on 4/v/ that do this kind of charts, 8/v/ just complain without doing anything better or anything at all.

Well then why don't we fucking make one then? A list of all games with bad dubbing can't be that hard when we have a dead thread filled with autists waiting to bitch about bad dubs.

Because I think that one is already good enough? Are you retarded? You're the one complaining.
Making a list of bad dubbed games should be fairly easy. In fact, it would be better to just point out which games have to be undubbed/descensored in that list. There, problem fucking solved, fag. Also, bad dubbing is only a deal breaker when you pay for a game or you can't solve it.

Anyone here that played Soul Hackers and still got the save? If so, could you please upload your save? I just want to start NG+ but I fucked up and didn't realize Gateway saves needed converting on Gateway itself before switching to A9LH and as such I lost my save.

so 90% of badly dubbed games? Waiting three years for fan translation that might not come seems like a great idea, but hey at least we can get japanese audio so we can pretend the dub isn't shit.

Would a save from a legit cartridge work? If so, tell me how to extract it so I can upload it for you.

JK's Save manager, just export the save, zip up your JKSV folder and send it his way.

Yes, as long as it's not an encrypted Gateway .sav file then it doesn't matter what the source is.

Use JK's SaveManager to extract it.

Alright.

Here you go, buddy: a.pomf.cat/drkowb.rar

Enjoy my shitty MC name.

Pretty sure name can be changed on NG+ so it doesn't matter, but thanks. I'll rest right now and report back.

Zip Lash may not be a proper Chibi Robo, but it's fun as shit, man.

Happy Home Designer can rot in hell, though.

Alright. Hope the skills on MC will be good enough. Though I never went through NG+ so I don't know if MC's stats reset or not.

I'm trying to fill up my R4i, do we have a DS game list going around?

Perfect, thanks.

NG+ resets your MC completely.
You just keep your compendium and are able to fuse super powerful demons like Beelzebub. It also lets you save Spooky from dying.

Vsrecommended wiki

Already been there, but I like to get a couple sources so I can snag anything one list forgot.

Aw shit, I had no idea. I'd probably have played NG+ if I knew that, but I'm too deep into other games right now to get back into it.

Thanks for the save but unfortunately it has already started the NG+, I'm looking for one that's about to start NG+ without it actually started. Doesn't help that all 3 slots were wasted on the second one already either.
Meh, but thanks for trying.

On second thought, it seems Slot 3 is after beating final boss, but before clearing the post-game dungeons. Guess I'll just grind levels and beat it to start my NG+.
Fitting punishment for losing the save.

I'm glad the save helped out somewhat at least. Have fun, user.

Thanks.

On a side note, any chance someone could make an inject of the GBA version of River City Ransom?

And a NES inject of original Jap version of River City Ransom while at it (Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari) since PAL/NTSC versions were censored.

I'd really appreciate it.

Make them yourself. It's an easy process and it would be better to learn how to make them than beg. gbatemp should have a thread on it. I'd up' my files if I were at my PC

Yo, I just checked out and didn't see the download links I could've sworn I saw you post for those.

Could you or anyone else re-post them pls?

I think I already contributed enough to get something back, but thanks for being an ass.

I'm not sure what your post is supposed to be about since you linked to Persona General and posted some kirby pics. Care to rephrase?

Whoops, being retarded.

Didn't you make them for SMT4A? I could've sworn I saw a .cia download link via MEGA or something in one of these threads. Maybe I'm just high as fuck and don't know it.

Pics are unrelated.

I did, posted them on 3DSISO.

3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/276934-mega-shin-megami-tensei-iv-undub-1-0-usa-region-free.html

3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/276946-mega-shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse-undub-1-0-usa-region-free.html

Persona Q Undub you can find here:
3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/271417-gdrive-fast-billy-cia-eshop-undub-yo-kai-watch-2-river-city-tokyo-rumb-01-10-a.html

And the undubbed DLC for PQ here:
3dsiso.com/cia-format-dlc-s-themes-and-updates/276920-mega-persona-dlc-undub-usa.html

Currently uploading DeSu1 and DeSu2 undubs.

And DeSu1 just finished uploading so here it is:
3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/277021-mega-devil-survivor-1-overclocked-undub-1-1-usa-region-free.html

Haven't touched my 3ds in a while. I'm still rocking menuhax and booting into luma.

Is it a pain in the ass to install a9lh? I just want to play phoenix wright.

Are you using an N3DS or an O3DS?

Oh, wow! I was half expecting you to tell me to fuck off. Thank you, user! With CFW I'm just now getting into Persona/SMT universe with PQ - as I gather, it's not very representative of the rest of the series, so I wanted to try some other ones.

I am having fun with PQ, though.

Also tried looking for a River City Ransom cia for you but failed

o3ds

On O3DS it'll take you about 25, 30 minutes to install then you'll never have to fuck with emunand or menuhax again after that, and GBA VC will work without having to fuck with two different nands. You'll also save about 1gb on your sd card by not having an emunand.

Can I transfer all the shit on my emunand to sysnand when I do it?

the guide will take you through that process, yes. It'll basically be like having a stock 3ds with cfw.

start at part 2, but make a nand backup before you get going.

Alright, thanks user.

Suggesting to learn something that's easy to do is being an ass?

I'm patched to 11.1.0-34U.

I've been locked out of the freEshop, havent I?

Give it to me straight doc

If you were using an emunand and you updated sysnand then yes you're fucked unless you have another 3ds with cfw already. If you were using a9lh then clearly you're fine and you wouldn't be asking that question.

This is gonna be a dumb question but I'll just ask. I have save files for SMTIV, DeSu1, and PersonaQ. I can just copy my saves over using JKSM, right?

Yep.
Mind posting your saves while you're at it? I lost those as well when going from Gateway to A9LH.

I lost my saves when I first switched from o3DS to n3DS because of stupid shit so only the DeSu1 save is actually a clear save.
It also has my real name on it because I'm a retard, so if you tell me what name and NG+ options you want I can strip my real name from the save and give it to you

Nah, just don't bother then, no problem.

I actually found the GBA RCR Ex inject on 3DSISO but the Jap NES version just doesn't have one.

That is indeed being an ass. I'd appreciate if you could do it for me seeing how super quick and easy it is based on your claims though seeing as it's the only request I have and it's not like I'll ever be using the inject thingy in the future. I just want to replay the original RCR before playing the newly released Tokyo Rumble.

Your SMT IV save file, would you happen to have saved before the alignment lock? Chaos is the only ending I haven't gotten and I don't want to replay the entire game just to get chaos.

And here's DeSu2 Record Breaker Undub:
3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/277023-mega-devil-survivor-2-record-breaker-undub-1-0-usa-region-free.html

This is pretty much it from me regarding undubs since I don't see any other title on 3DS that I'd want undubbed.

Next Stop: Persona 5 Undub in February

My save is right after the Archangel reveal, while you're still in Mikado after Johnathan, Walter, and Isabeau split because they're arguing about killing Lilith. My alignment is currently neutral afaik.
Team is overpowered as hell and has a stupid amount of app points because I was just replaying to have the story fresh in my head to better appreciate how much I'm not going to like SMT:F, so I mostly just fucked around. If you still want it, I can transfer it over to my PC and have it uploaded in a little while.

Thanks for the undubs. Here's the GBA version of River City Ransom as thanks, don't know how to make NES injects so it's all I've got. volafile.io/get/8dDxPiUHw64kJ/1502 - River City - Ransom EX (U)(Venom).cia

Read again, user wasn't at his computer. That was probably the most help he could offer.

2 posts above I mentioned I already managed to find GBA RCR Ex but thanks for the effort anyway.

Oh shit, somehow missed that. That's what I get for staying up to 3AM.

Well fuck me I guess, well at least anyone in the thread who cares doesn't have to fuck with 3DSISO to get it now.

Damn NES games look like shit on 3DS, way too small. So you can ignore my request for the Jap version of RCR. I'll just stick to the superior GBA version. What gives that GBC and GBA have nice and large image on 3DS but NES is like a small square in the middle?

Why would you do that?! A9LH is a selling point.

If you mean Monster Hunter Stories people are speculating it is being held for the west for an NX port.

Worth the wait.
I'm guessing it's safe to update if "Sys" appears next to the firmware right?

I think it's possible to increase the resolution via hex editing or something. Things might be a bit blurry but it won't be small.

Anyone know a proper way to rip out models with a .cpk file?

You can also double check if hourglass9 is accessible from boot. But your probably fine.
Welcome to the a9lh masterrace.

Any guide on hexing? The screen is laughably small.

Ah, nevermind then.

Why did I not do this sooner? This is fucking great. I've been missing out.

is installing a9lh now as easy as just running an installer, or do you still have to bother with the downgrading horseshit? if not I can't be assed

You need to downgrade but I just did it, it was so worth it user.

You dont have to downgrade if you have a n3ds, you do on o3ds, but it is safe and takes very little time.

im on new, so that's nice. if it would be getting rid of the emunand, wouldn't I have to fuck around with transferring everything back to the sysnand? or can I keep the emunand and do that after it's safely installed?

What you do is overwrite your emuNAND onto your sysNAND the guide has a step for it.

You have to fuck around with transferring your emunand to your sysnand. It's not hard just takes a while because you have to transfer all the contents of your sd to your pc, format your card, then transfer it all back.

You can still boot into your emunand if you want, I think, but really its nice just being able to turn on your 3ds and go, and not have to worry about that shit. Plus it saves around 1 gig on your sdcard not having emunand.

oh alright, I'll go do that then

During the process you can dump your emunand to a file, then can write it to your sysnand if you want.

3DS hacking scene at its peak. I am really amazed at all this. I don't think any other consoles achieved this kind of level.

I am actually surprise that 3DS is not yet dead lol.

I got a question, I was told if I have a9lh and luma3ds I can update my 3ds from the settings. I just wanna make sure I can

Read the op posts.
Second post, second greentext.

It is safe, I was scared to do it too.

Its safe to update RXTools Emunand to the latest firmware right?

No. But it is safe to upgrade to a9lh.

Nevermind my question was literally just answered

I messed up and updated to the latest firmware 11.1.0.34 before homebrewing.

How long do you think it'll take to homebrew without using Cubic Ninja or other games?

might as well just sell your 3ds on ebay/craigslist and buy another one tbh

Actually wait, what?
Its not safe to upgrade from the settings app from rxtools emunand?

Really?
What happens if I do? And what changed? Because I was able to update my emunand to at least 11.0 that way

He's trying to get you to change to a9lh, that's all. It's worth the small amount of effort and time to do so at least.

rxtools is trash. do yourself a favor and just install a9lh

It's not safe in the
sort of way

Well this sucks, I think I'll just wait it out I guess and see what the scene comes up with.

Really?, what about the injects jibber jabber I've been hearing about?

What's wrong with rxtools?
I've been using it since 3DS hacking became a thing and I've had no problems with it

What do the alternatives do better?

everything

Such as?

Plus, it hacks your system in a way that nintendo basically can never break. You're hacked for life nigger.

So my understand is it does modify the sysnand?

Because if so I'd rather stick with emunand, feels a bit safer that way. And SDCard space is really no issue for me

11 removed the exploit that was being used to break out of the kernel hypervisor and gain low level access to the CPU. It will be a long time before a new hack shows up. If your 3DS is in nice condition you could probably sell it without much loss.

a9lh is safer and better in every way

It does, and it's better than an emunand because a9lh runs much earlier in the booting process allowing it to flash the nand and undo any fuckups you or Nintendo do. Emunand isn't as safe and it eats a gig of your SD card's limited space in exchange.

You could fuck the whole thing up by accidentally screwing up your 9.2 install and you think it's safer? Your opinion is wrong

Anyone know how to do this on a9lh?

gbatemp.net/threads/r4-stage2-twl-flashcart-launcher-and-perhaps-other-cards-soon™.416434/

It is possible to use the original R4 now on 3DS but a tutorial for a9lh users is lacking.

At least go with Luma3DS if you're sticking with emunand.

You won't be able to use other region's dlc with RX. Only works with Luma3DS

I will consider it. But "safety" is mostly a non-issue for me because I
A.) Deleted all my wifi connections on my SysNand so its very unlikely I will update it by mistake
And
B.) My system automatically boots HBL as soon as its on without holding buttons down

Oh shit, I have one of those. Is there any reason to play DS games on my 3DS xl when my DS Lite works perectly though? I kinda like my DS Lite better tbh.

I would love to sell it but I bought a few games from the eshop and it also came with 2 free digital games if I were to sell it I would lose those games.

Idk what else to say if we haven't convinced you. Just know you are making the wrong decision, and you're retarded for not using a9lh.

Just redownload them? owning games means nothing on hacked 3ds, you can still play online and everything with pirated copies.

I guess bigger screen? I always wanted to own a DSi XL back then when I only have a DS Lite.

youtube.com/watch?v=zrTe80tTb2k

I think my 3DS is having hard time reading my R4 ;-;

I just don't know how it can be any safer, you say it allows NAND backup restoration and starts "early in the boot process" so Nintendo can't fix it. But how can I be sure Nintendo can't patch over that with an update? At least with emunand if Nintendo tries to pull shit it won't effect SysNand

Nintendo cannot affect that part of the system memory. It's permanent hax nigga. Also if you're that dead set on using emunand you can still use emunand. There's just no reason to do that anymore.

inb4 4fe64e finds out that it only takes a couple of minutes to upgrade to a9lh

and he realizes how a fucktard he was for not doing it sooner. 4fe64e now enjoys his custom splash screen and hassle free VC installations.

Hopefully he sees the light. I just upgraded from the same setup he has today and it was definitely worth the hassle.

I was did some digging and I can send my 3DS to a trusted person who would be able to downgrade the firmware and install a "hardmod", should I do that instead?

The dude does it for free, only gotta pay for shipping.

umm no it doesn't delay the boot user, it just replaces the black screen you see before you get to your homescreen.

You asked this already and the answer has not changed.

Except that there ARE ways for sysNAND to be updated from emuNAND.

That was 9.3 onwards. 11.0 broke downgrading.

It's worth it. Small things to make your 3DS feel like yours.

Actually serious question. Nintendo can't update FIRM thanks to Luma3DS write-protecting it, but can they corrupt the Luma's arm9loaderhax.bin to not write-protect FIRM and then remove it?

That's not how it works.
Even if they corrupted the firmware itself, you can just flash a backup because lol Decrypt9

hey anons? anyone can help me with this?

How do i to this stage 2 launcher thingy on a9lh so I can finally use my goddamned ancient R4.

A9LH is executed before control is passed to Nintendo's operating system, so not unless A9 happens to have some exploitable hole.

I dunno if anyone cares but the GBA injects in the OP pastebin don't have the shitty motion blur filter disabled so there's massive ghosting with them. At least I tried Warioware 4 and the ghosting is extremely noticeable.
Grabbed anti-ghosting patched version from 3DSISO that doesn't have the issue.

No no. A9LH resides in FIRM, however the code to write-protect FIRM is in arm9loaderhax.bin, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to update/remove A9LH in any way. So, unless there's protection on the arm9loaderhax.bin it would be possible for Nintendo to modify it, then on next boot remove A9LH from the unprotected FIRM. Worse, it could time it after gbatemp have declared an update "safe".

NVM I finally got it working. You can run your old R4 on a9lh without doing the TWL shit thing. You just need a 2nd launcher and you can start going to town.

BRB playing DS games on my 3DS

I'm not an expert on firmware, but I don't think that's how it works.

stage 2 launcher*

What the fuck kind of conspiracy theory is this? I don't think the nintendo system updater would be able to reboot and then do more shit like that.

So what's the go-to program for FTP transfers between 3DS and PC? I want to never have to take my backplate off again especially since it has maybe one or two swaps left before it snaps in fucking half, these things are incredibly thin and fragile, fuck you too Nintendo

I just use the function in the N3DS's System Settings

If you're using HBL, use FTBrony, which is included in the starter kit.
If you have FBI, you can use network installs,but if you want to move screenshots etc, use FTBrony.

The snes VC emulator has a fit to screen option. I think the nes one might have one too. I think the hex editing for resizing was actually only necessary for Gba VC

I'm considering getting a 2DS because it's so dirt cheap right now and I would like it for piracy.
I only have 2 questions and this seems like a good thread to ask:
1. Can I play games from different regions using the hack? even legitimate ones?
2. Would I feel like i'm missing out on anything other than 3D and clamshell?
I feel like a might miss those things but a 2DS costs less than half as much as a new 3DS XL, that's a whole lot of money.

1: Yes.
2: The 2ds is as easy to hold as an XL, but the screens are as big as a regular 3ds, other than fuckhueg screen you'll be fine. Also, because the screen is smaller, you won't notice aliasing that much, so it has an upside.
New!3ds models have extra processing power which can help framerates when you have homebrew, but 60-90 dollars is a fuckcheap price point, so fuck the 9 games that need new3ds for more stable framerate.

*the lack of a fuckhueg screen
I need sleep

That's why I'm asking, I only have a rough idea of how it all fits together.

Well if Nintendo could unhack systems why wouldn't they? They're not above doing shady shit, you only need to look at that recent job opening for that.

N3DS allows for more homebrew too, consider that.

Like what more homebrew?
Also, just to make sure, the various monster hunters are utter garbage without the nipple, right?

They're plenty playable, but the nipple helps.

2DS is better than O3DS for MonHun, from my experience. It's so much easier to just take your finger off to move the dpad onscreen with the 2DS's chunkier frame. Plus, both screens move the same way when you move the console. I can't actually describe what I mean properly, but it's better that both screens are next to eachother and can't be angled.

So how long should it take for SafeA9LHInstaller to go from a black screen to anything else?

If you just mean starting the program, it shouldn't take long. Reboot if it is, sometimes these programs take a few tries to load successfully. If you mean actually having it do the installation, also quick. Worry if it isn't.

Just worked now.

When people mention that A9LH is faster to install, do they include the past prep work or did it legit take an hour from hitting the button to A9LH being ready, by the way?

Never used a 2DS, but if you're using an O3DS, you should be using a Slide Pad Pro

They mean all the preparation. The old method:
At this point you had emuNAND loaded through themehax, pretty hot. Or you could spend a few more hours and get A9LH…
Very tedious, arguably worth it though. However a couple months ago, they eliminated the redNAND stuff entirely, in favour of a much faster 2.1.0 downgrade method, still about 1-2 hours thanks to long NAND backups. Then a couple of days ago they figured out how to skip the 2.1.0 downgrade and OTP, but only on N3DS. Ironically, all the N3DS-specific keying stuff made the security worse.

Yeah, you're stuck with VC, but it's not too bad, injects are much easier to do for the 3DS than some other systems since there are stand-alone tools to do it that don't even require you to have another GBA VC cia to make it or anything.

it's just a cia you install and run, put your old r4 in and then launch it.

other than having it all on one device and the 3DS having better buttons not really. If you don't want it to look fucked you need to hold start on boot too.

The pastebin in the OP is from about january so yeah it's way out of date.

Use FTPD formerly FTBrony. It has a .cia installable version and doesn't have to be opened thru system settings like nintendo's.

NES does not, which is why it's an incredible pain when you get mouthbreathers on 3DSISO making stretched NES VC.

yes
not really. New 3DS can have better framerate with de-underclocking and has SNES VC but if you don't feel like you're missing out with those go for it. 2DS is a lot cheaper.

I don't think that's entirely feasible. If you install the newest version of A9LH it has Write-protection embedded now, so it's not really effective even if they could do that.

Is there anyway to change themes that were installed via freeshop without the official theme settings? Someone mentioned CHMM2+, but I searched for it and couldn't find anything. I could use "dump current theme" in CHMM2 on all the themes, but that would take all day, and I'd have to fuck around a bit and reinstall all the themes twice because you can only have so many themes installed and retain your ability to use them.

You know how some universities and airports have wifi that requires you to accept some stuff in your browser before it 'officially' works for you? Is there a way to force my 3ds to use the 'failed' connection so that I can go to their website to accept their terms?

How significant is the extra framerate?
Are there games that are unplayable (as in 'looks like inexcusable shit' not 'doesn't work at all') on the o3ds?

usually it's not a huge deal, but I've heard senran kagura burst runs a lot better. Pokemon X/Y are largely unaffected. ORAS runs a little better in 3d with it on. MGS3 seems to hit the cap it has set.

nope.

CHMM2+ is in the basic utility pack in the OP along with a ton of other shit. you can also find it here: rinnegatamante.it/site/3ds_hbs.php

but the guy who makes it is a colossal faggot so there's a 50/50 shot that when you try to download it there you'll get an don't use link shorteners link. on 3dsiso and 3dschaos you can get most if not all official themes predumped for chmm.

3dsiso.com/cia-format-dlc-s-themes-and-updates/265925-mega-gdrive-usa-3ds-theme-collection-273-themes-updated-september-04-2016-a.html

3dsiso.com/cia-format-dlc-s-themes-and-updates/267095-mega-multi-official-themes-chmm-region-free-30-09-16-a.html

Senran Kagura Burst, Hyrule Warriors, and Metal Gear Solid 3D are the three games off the top of my head that are unplayable shit on o3DS. Many games benefit, though, like Ace Combat. Even shit like 7th Dragon 3 has some framedrops here and there that you don't get on CFW n3DS.

Another question, since i'm a colossal faggot.
What firmwares do brand new consoles ship with?
Are there models to avoid if I want full, EZ piracy?

Avoid newest ones, if you get 11+ you're fucked.

Stay away from any new bundles, for sure.

avoid any new special editions, old special editions are usually safe. Standard New 3DS bundles are a tossup. The small new 3ds shipped with 10.7 but I don't know if there's new shipments of those yet or not.

So the only way to get a firmware that is certainly safe is to get old bundles? And standalone consoles are a mixed bag?
I'm guessing 2ds and o3ds are generally safer than n3ds?

Got my black n3ds XL at 10.7
I think it's pretty safe to get that one

mostly, yes. you have a pretty good chance of getting the right fw with a standard but it depends on how new the stock is. 2DS/O3DS should be because they can support

What's the situation with new 3ds's?
How likely am i to get one with bad firmware?

it's not horrible, but try to find something that's more likely if you can. Only the newest of the new will have 11.0, and most stores will have a return policy if you get unlucky.

Senran Kagura Burst was unplayable when the emuNAND stuff existed. Is decently playable even with the 3D on in O3DS, don't be a faggot.

There are people who doesn't give a shit about dubbing. I'm not one of them. The point is, yeah, with undubbing and japanese audio bad dubs might as well not exists, I mean, they will exists, but why would you care?

You shouldn't reccomend inferiror products.

So, I am trying to get browserhax running on 10.2.0, and I am having a bit of trouble. Following the steps in this portion of the guide github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Homebrew-Launcher-(Browser).
>Pick Google Fuck Google, but Yahoo is worse
>Scan QR code for yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax_auto.php
I looked up the trouble shooting and it said to reinitialize the browser data and try again, but I have been met with the same error every time. Anything I am doing wrong here?

Did you put the specific dns address

I scanned the QR code on the first link to get there. It was the right address that popped up though.

I got it to rework after many retries. I guess the thing was just really hit or miss.

Not web address, dns. There's a specific dns that you could put in your connection settings if your browser is giving you troubles.

Does anyone know what firmware the new Galaxy 3DS ships with?

galaxy new 3ds comes with 11.0.

Does Neo XY work yet?

Neo XY has worked perfectly fine for a while, it's just a shit romhack.

What's a better vanilla XY romhack, then?

Wilting Y/Eternal X are better vanilla hacks, namely because Neo X/Y does shitty text editing to change the story.

Thinking about getting one of these. Anyone know if they're safe?

amazon.com/New-Nintendo-3DS-White-Japan/dp/B00NAW5R0I/ref=sr_1_9?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1475457227&sr=1-9&keywords=new 3ds

probably but the worst thing you can get from that is a 9.8.0J New 3DS because those are really truly fucked. There's no way to update from it to 9.2 so you'll have to online update to 11.1. Also, keep in mind until you set up CFW the home menu is region locked so you may want to buy a JP copy of cubic ninja or OOT3d.

Thanks, bud.

Ok thanks.

What do you mean? I'm not interested in it if I can't get cfw on it. If I need cubic ninja/oot3d I'll pass.

I just don't really want an xl because the screens look kind of shitty at that res/size.

Get the american one that comes with Mario 3D Land I bought one they come with 10.7. CFWed it with nothing but the guide.

9.8.0J is a special case. If you get anything else then you should be good, but be warned that 10.6/10.7 may be tricky if you get them (I don't think they were around long enough to ship on anything japan though). Other than that, unless you get a browserless version you should be fine. The safest bet would be unless you really want a japanese 3ds to get a US 3d land new 3ds because they come with 10.7, you won't have to do any region fuckery, and it'll just be more convenient.

when I got my new 3ds though, I got a Happy Home Designer one because I didn't want an XL either, and it came with 9.5, but obviously that's a less viable option these days.

mfw playing IPS screen lottery

I've gone through three Hyrule edition consoles by now and they all had worse screens than my o3ds xl's TN screen. I can't show my face at the store I returned it three times at anymore. I'm about ready to give up.

That's probably what I'll do, thanks.

So wait, A9LH on FIRM does write-protect now? How do you update it then?

The one from Aurora that hasn't been released does, and you can find a pre-built version on the Luma3DS thread but it's way back there now at the pace that thing moves. As a note though it's not 100% functional (which is why it hasn't been released), and the only known bug is that it breaks reboot patches. So, if you have an O3DS, you probably don't want it because it will break MH4G/MHX/Smash 4. If you have a New 3DS then go look for it. The actual updating process is really easy, you just put stage1 and stage2.bin in the /a9lh/ folder and then run an install with safea9lhinstaller (note you don't need an otp or secret sector, those are only for the first-time install).

github.com/AuroraWright/arm9loaderhax/commits/master

This? There's nothing changed since June.

By buying from the same store you're basically buying consoles from the same production party and thus they all have the same screen.
You should be looking at different production parties.

I think I might have bricked just now. I was trying to do the finishing touches on my Old 3ds, and I can no longer get to my home screen. I am at the point where all the .cias are on my SD card, and I just booted with them on there for the first time. I am able to get into luma's options by holding select before booting, but that seems to be all I can do. If I boot without holding select my backlight just shows all black and it sits like that forever. Do a lot of people brick here? I have backups of my files9 folder and my otp.bin, is it time to try using them?

make sure autoboot sysnand is checked.

Thanks, it was showing as checked, but unchecking it and rechecking it got me to the next screen hourglass. I am not sure if the problem is completely gone, but I think it looks a lot better now.

no prob. We get that question like 4 times a thread. If you need more help, we're here.

yes, hence the 'it's way back there'. This is the part you're looking for.

Oh. But that's only if no payload is found, not if it's been sabotaged.

I don't really know what to say then. Try marking your arm9loaderhax.bin read only I guess, I don't know that it's ever written to. Whatever lets you sleep at night, but I really don't see nintendo doing that if they couldn't counter the wii or stop people from pirating games from their own fucking servers.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to byteswap hex with HxD because I'm trying to dump a wii u .gba but it seems inverted. Assuming that's the issue then I'll be even more confused than before but at least I'll get a working dump out of it.

Ideally A9LH would optionally have its own chain of trust to the payload executed, this would also allow for a real security PIN.

if you want to contribute go ahead, otherwise I think it's about as good as it can/should be. The security pin can theoretically be built into FIRM but everyone is pussying out because 'what if I forget my passcode'.

Well I'm not good at writing code.
Not really. This sort of hole is even more amateurish than anything Nintendo has gotten wrong.
It should be treated as something to take care of, like your NAND backups and OTP and such. Also I believe you can still use hardmods to fix a forgotten PIN so it wouldn't be a perfect solution but that's well outside the means of your average thief.

I figured they'd just get random units. Well shit.

how long does this usually take

~3 hours. 5 if you are a retard like many of the people who still use emunand.

Does it require autism?

It requires you to be able to read and follow instructions. In the op.
Autism not required.

I can't speak for everyone, but here it is almost impossible to get a N3DS XL not on 11 or 11.1. If you don't mind it, I recommend looking for any N3ds (non XL) bundle. The animal crossing bundle comes with firm 9.8 and the Super Mario 3D land comes with 10.7, both can be downgraded to install a9 and shit.

Shop around for the Super Mario 3d one at target. If you're lucky you can find it for $150. Just keep in mind that browser hax will not work on it, you have to use another entry point. I ran into that problem. In order to connect to the internet you must first connect to nintendo servers at least once. IE you need to connect to nintendo servers and open the browser once before you change the DNS and prevent updates. You either are unable to use the browser or you connect once and then become able to and if you connect once you get the "update" browser note. Just something to remember.

GBAtemp and Reddit both have sections dedicated to this. I remember finding an entire threat on Reddit about which N3DS had dual IPS based on serial number. Just start calling around and asking if the first 6 characters of the serial (batch identifier) match what you're looking for. I had some good luck doing it. I found a dual IPS mario 3d land N3DS.

How do you use those custom badges from 3dsthem.es?

Enjoy that battery life user.

Even if it does take more battery to power the thing It's not like I'm ever out and about for 6-7 hours straight playing it. I mean, battery life is fine by me. I'd trade a tiny bit of battery for more vibrant colors and viewing angles any day.

install GYTB, which is included in the utilities pack in op, and then make a folder named badges on the root of your sd. Copy the badge pictures into that folder, and then run gytb and you have all the custom badges.

It's really not that big of a difference unless you're comparing side-by-side and even if you really really want one you should mostly look for an IPS top since that's where all the real stuff happens.

I just compared my n3ds that have an ips top and o3ds that have TN top.

They don't really look that much different at all. O3ds just lightens or darkens when you view it tilted. Little difference in color. Thats it. I would take longer battery life than this fuckery.

I am a dedicated MH player and I couldn't really be bothered by the colors. I'm too focused into the hunts than to appreciate ips' slightly better color than tn

Alright thanks user.

Oh and do I have to have that arcade game installed? How do I even start slapping badges on my screen in the first place?

you don't need to have the badge arcade installed if you're using the .cia version. once you run it once you'll get the prompt on it, it'll be in the menu you normally find themes.