What are the best flashcarts for GBC, GBA & DS?

What are the best flashcarts for GBC, GBA & DS?
Also, Console Modding/Emulation thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

bennvenn.myshopify.com/
pineight.com/gba/gsm/
gameboy-advance.net/emulated/musicplayer_advance_gba_mp3.htm
handheldlegend.com/collections/gba-products/products/game-boy-advance-frontlight?variant=11710313283
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

R4 I guess? The DS plays gba natively so having an actual gba is irrelevant

But a GBA is the only way I'll ever play Game Boy/Game Boy Color games.

Personally I think having a GB micro loaded with an entire GBA and GBC/GB library would be the perfect handheld. There's only a few DS games I find worth playing.

Doesn't the ds have an emulator for those

Yeah, but you can also just play GBC games natively on a GBA and be done with it.

or buy a $60 flashcart for the price of 4 gba games

Yeah R4 used to be not so good because of less features, more prone to freezing (IIRC), and slower to update their games capability. I some other flashcards didn't need to update their firmware to be compatible (IIRC) and they were faster on the draw. It wasn't a bad card by any means, it was just a budget card.

Nowadays since there are no new ds games, the main issue you'll have is having to jury the firmware dat file to get fanpatched games to work.
I was the first one to get the english fan translation of pokemon black/white working on r4 by fucking around with the dat file to get the translated copy recognized as the original. I don't remember how I did it.

Self Bump

GBC and GBA: Everdrives for each
DS: TopToy DS is interestingly enough, less likely to be a piece of shit, but they don't play every DS game. Mine freaks out on some Porkyman games, but fuck Pokemon, makes goddamn Dragon Quest 2 look like Final Fantasy 6.

DS: R4i with wood firmware is the best one overall.
GBA : There's a new one out now with a RTC embedded in it, don't remember what it's called

GBA - Everdrive X5
GBC/GB - Everdrive
DS - R4 Wood, until 3DS can play from SD anyway. If you do want to stick to old DS, those flashcarts with the inbuilt CPU do wonders. I forgot name, fuck.

The screen on a DS is so much better though. It feels like going from a classic GBA to a SP.

Supercard DSTwo, but it also heats up and eats a shitton of battery, even when not used.

Why the fuck would you do that to a nice DS Lite or a DSi when it's battery already runs for weeks without a recharge, unless you're using a DSTwo. And what exactly does that CPU give you? A movie player that looks like shit? Godawfull SNES and GBA emulators that need frameskipping and can't run anything more than SMW? I guess they were the next best thing when you didn't have a PSP, but now with the 3DS it's fucking useless.

It's the max media dock by datel, I own one of those. Problem is that all homebrew has to be a special version to run on it. It does play MP3's, videos, and you can run backups on it. I played Doom on mine. It needs a CF card though and I think it has to be under 8GB.

It originally came with a 4GB IBM microdrive which is an actual platter hard drive that's small enough to fit in the middle of your palm.

I know that it isn't related to the main topic of the thread, but since this is also a emulation thread, i would like to ask why the fuck snes9x is working at an annoying speed and how can i make it function slower, and i don't mean the games i mean the emulator itself

Emulation general(?) seems like the best place to ask: Anyone have the ePSXe NeGcon plugin? I want to see how well I can map it to a wheel that I have. Would love to play Rage Racer and RRT4 with it. I tried finding it on other forums but all the links seem to be dead.

I have an EDGBA X5 and an EDGB and they're both pretty fucking sick, but the EDGB doesn't have RTC so if you want to play pokemon then it's throwing away a ton of your money, I think Krikzz is planning on putting out an X7 at some point maybe for the GB, but I think there's also this guy: bennvenn.myshopify.com/

who's talking about putting out a v2 of his with RTC. So take that into consideration.

Also take into consideration that the EDGBA X5 can do GB/GBC emulation direct from the home menu so you don't have to do the weird menu building shit you would have to on the EZIV or otherwise.

Stupid question, is it capable of MP3 playback at all?

MP3 playback is too much for the gba. There was an official MP3 Player Accessory for the gba a long time ago but that had some extra hardware tricks I think.

There are mp3 players for the Commodore 64 bro. The GBA is as capable of playing mp3s as it is playing the sound track to any other GBA game

obviously devs are too lazy to make one and optimize it, but its not fair to say the GBA isn't capable

I guess. There's some examples of players like tepples: pineight.com/gba/gsm/ and Music player advance: gameboy-advance.net/emulated/musicplayer_advance_gba_mp3.htm

but I don't think either of them do real mp3s.

i've seen simple mp3s playing on a 40mhz i386 so it's probably possible since a gba's cpu is much better and has more hardware tricks/features. But it would require a really autistic developer

How good's the emulation?

What is this garbage? SP or go home fucker.

It certainly is

game boy/game boy color work mostly pretty good, I think there's problems with some but mostly it's good. Avoid NES though, it's strange with the stretching or the scrolling, it just looks wrong.

Maybe if you have little bitch baby hands. Backlit original is the way to go, it actually lasts longer than the original without a backlight and 2x 2300MaH batteries beats the SP's internal 800 any day.

Lol

2x 2300MaH rechargable batteries + gb shit doesn't stick out the bottom > 850 MaH lithium ion battery every day.

Stop embarrassing yourself user

the SP is literally inferior in every way once you swap the screens out you fuck. enjoy reaming your link cable clot just to get 3.55mm you dumbass.

Hahaha oh my god please stop. You are acting like a nigger

Carry on then.

GBA > Micro > SP

The SP isn't complete shit, but I prefer not having my thumbs so close to each other when playing a game. That said, $100+ is kinda' putting me off of jumping on the replacement screen kit, but since I barely play games as it is, it's probably not for me anyway.

DS Lite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GBA SP >GBA

come at me fgts

You are the man

Disgusting musy buttons make it a huge step down from the original DS.
No clicky no buy.

The original DS sucks ass

The blocky design, inferior screen and larger size lose a lot of points to me. The original DS almost looks like it was designed for retarded kids so they wouldn't break the thing when chucking it across a room. And so they couldn't accidentally swallow it.

Seriously flash carts for the DS lite are like 15$ and there's an amazing emulator for the lite for GBC games

which are a pretty outdated technology and obsolete compared to the DS's wireless multiplayer. Plus I didn't particularly miss multiplayer with GBA games since the library had such a wealth of singleplayer games.

And with a flash cart you could run a romhack of something like Pokemon with the evolutions switched around so you could obtain trade only pokemon through evolution. So it works out anyway.

I'm sure it was good for some games but I don't particularly miss it.

Just like your mom.

Awww sick burn bruh

Tell that to your oven.

Im not the kike here

Are you sure?

DSlite is a jack of all trades master of none, and really it's only use is for pokemonfags to move their gen 3 pokemon up.

Yes…

Are you really sure?

Yeah if the emulation is good.

Generally if the framerate, sound, and lack of tangible differences are unnoticeable I'll side with emulation. It's better than hauling around a console that drains physical batteries, has a terrible screen and looks like it was made by fisher price

I legit didn't even notice the DS lite was incapable of GBA multiplayer until months after I first bought it. The only time I ever wanted to borrow a regular GBA was when I wanted to evolve my Kadabra in Pokemon Ruby to an Alakazam.

Enjoy your shitty scratched up screen, lack of backlight and bulky size I guess

DSlite is the evolution. It rendered the all of the previous consoles obsolete once flash carts and emulators started to appear for it.

Only it didn't and I just posted why. There are better DSes, so it's not the best DS, and there are better GBAs, so it's not the best at that either. Jack of all trades master of none exactly as I said. Deal with it.

Lamo edgelord

How is it superior if it cannot do everything that the system that it replaced could do? It wasn't a generational replacement, it was the lower-cost, "streamlined" version, like the shitty budget Wii with no Gamecube support. Why throw out backwards compatibility?

Except it wasn't inferior.

Shit visual design, terrible screen, gigantic size

Solid device but completely different ballpark since you need to do everything through emulation either through hacking the firmware (which can't be done on the most recent update. Which will eventually cripple people in a few years when they try to hack it unless more exploits are found. You can see the PS3 as an example of this) or through buying a flash cart. And GBA emulation with the 3ds (at least with flash carts) is noticeably worse than the DS's backwards compatibility (as in, stuttering framerate, control issues and sound bugs)

Why was the car better than the horse if the car couldn't drink out of a stream?

Because it was unnecessary.

Even after I clarified that it wasn't a generational replacement. This would be like the next year version of your car omitting door locks because people have locks on their garage doors. You're drunk. Go to bed.

If you say so, I don't mind them at all in exchange for the genuine pocket size.
easily fixed by a cheap cable
Sounds like a personal problem
lul, again, so phunny bro

You sound like you're poor and can only own one device at a time. I own a GBA SP and a n3dsxl. When I want to play GB/GBC/GBA games I'll play them on my GBA SP (or better yet, my Game Boy Player), when I want to play DS games I'll play them on my n3DSxl (as such it doesn't need emulation at all). And my DSlite which you love so much, well it sits collecting dust until it's time to move pokemon up from gen 3 :^)

For the PS2, POPS is the best way to go as far as compatibility is concerned when emulating ps1 games. Unfortunately, people say the multitap doesn't work to get 4 players in PS1 games emulated with POPS.

I did read elsewhere that the ps2 in general wont let you use a ps2 multitap to play ps1 games with 4 players, but a ps1 multitap would work for playing ps1 games on the ps2 for 4 players.

The question is, can a ps1 multitap work to get you 4 players connected to a ps1 game emulated on the ps2 using POPS? The main POPS thread has people saying the multitap doesn't work, but I assume they only try the ps2 multitap, not the ps1 version.

As someone who finally modded their ps2, any other fun stuff other than POPS and OPL? I've tried some of the other emulators too.

I would love to find a private server for battlefield 2.

Which completely misses the point. Omitting door locks is a noticeable downgrade.

I barely noticed the lack of link cable, GBC backwards compatibility and Gamecube support at all when I got my DS. To me it'd be like a car removing wasted space in the engine to make it go faster.

Since most of these devices are like 20-50$ and I bought a 3ds it's a bit of a strawman. I prefer not hauling around 4-5 handhelds for every game I want and instead just having 1 device I'll play for a few months instead. And not having wasted space in my house that could be taken up by a single device. It's the same reason I don't own a pager and a cell phone at the same time.

To me it's like owning 5 different television sets

What is the best tg16/turbo duo emulator?

I owned an original DS and when the lite came out I perceived it as a downgrade since I played GBA/C games often and did not like the buttons on the lite.
The lite was a budget focused update and if it fit your needs, that's great, but it cannot, by definition, be the superior DS since it did not retain all the functionality of its predecessor.

Mednafen PCE

Better screen and design, therefore better.

Fucking hell this thread escelated quickly, I just wanted decen flash carts for muh vidya.

Yes, it was better in some respects, but worse in others.
However, the screens on every DS are piss. If that's truly what you care about then you would hunt down a N3DS with an IPS screen and use that instead of a DSlite.

That's what happens when you get a "Muh shit is the best" autist in the thread. Get an R4i if you just want to play DS games, even works on latest firmware 3dses if you haven't hacked your shit yet.

It's more "those features are largely pointless because they either function through emulation or are barely ever going to be used"

Buttons is a more legitimate criticism but one I don't really agree with. I found the buttons serviceable on the DS.

The device plays GBA games through backwards compatibility and can emulate GB/GBC games near perfectly so it's largely a moot point. Especially today.

They're still better than the GBAs

someone pls explain, why shouldn't I buy EZ IV?
also is snes advance even worth trying out? it hasn't been updated since fucking 2005

Probably the best GBA only flash cart that doesn't cost a gigantic amount (like the GBA everdrive) and had a battery for real time shit. Can be found really cheaply nowadays.

EZIV was the former best GBA flash cart, so it's still not a bad buy. Just at this point if you have the cash you're better off with an Everdrive GBA mainly because you don't have to patch the roms to run them, and it loads quicker on the fly than the EZIV.

I'm pretty sure the battery is for the weird way the EZIV saves, not for RTC. I had to RTC patch any RTC games I played on it.

thanks anons. I wanted to play the whole 2d metroid series after AM2R rekindled my love for the series and I was going to buy a GBA flashcart anyways.

shit taste kill yourself

2autistic4me

Everdrive is really your only option (at-least it's one of the cheaper Everdrives out there, you can get one for less than $100 iirc). If you try getting an old flash cart to play nice (let-alone acquire one, they're hard to come by and people think they're worth a lot for some stupid reason), then get ready to pull out your old Win9x machine and fiddle with some really wacky software (assuming the cart even works).

Everdrive GBA works perfect, but honestly it's pretty overpriced, it sticks further out of the cart slot, and I don't recommend it unless you have a lot of disposable income.
EZ Flash IV carts are common, relatively affordable, easy to work with, and don't have many issues (and whenever they do it can usually be fixed by installing the rom to the built-in flash, like with Mother 3 for example), they work with most every GBA game out there barring those with peripheral carts like WarioWare Twisted and whatever.
Older USB-based flashcarts aren't recommended due to their dependence on old, finicky software that you often have to run through a VM on Windows XP.
Supercards are fucking garbage, don't be tempted by their lower cost, they have severe compatibility issues and cause graphical faults with many games, avoid them at all costs.

R4 cards work well, but they're becoming somewhat less common and there are a lot of shitty cheap Chinese knockoffs you have to be cautious of.
Acekards are fine (and it's the one I have), but you'll have to hunt down and fiddle with some obscure software from old Forum threads to achieve maximum compatibility.
I have no experience with other DS flashcarts, there's so fucking many of them out there I couldn't cover them all, but those are your two most common and affordable options.

Don't fuck with flashcarts, just hack it using one of the many guides and be done with it (but beware the 11.0+ firmware before hacking).

Getting a GBA game to boot correctly with a normal flash cart is such an asspain it really isn't worth the trouble (and in a lot of cases it seems to be impossible). I'd recommend getting a separate flashcart for your GBA if possible.

holy shit backlit mods are expensive as hell

Probably one of the worst-built things Nintendo ever put out. No "Nintendium" to be found here.

I guess I might as well put out a recommendation list for what model of each handheld to get.

If anything, you might get a Gameboy Color for authenticity's sake, but you're probably better-off just using a GBA/SP due to the lack of a lit screen, and good fucking luck finding a GB Light for a decent price.

If you're feeling confident you might grab an original model and perform a lit-screen mod on it since they feel more comfortable in the hands and include a headphone jack, but otherwise SP is the way to go (try getting a backlit model too). Micros are nice but they're pretty expensive and you'll be sacrificing GB/GBC compatibility.

Original fat DS's feel comfortable in the hands and are built like tanks, but their screens are shit compared to the other models, DS Lites look nice and have great screens, but the build quality is really, really bad. DSi's are okay but watch out for the firmware stuff, also they have the worst D-Pad by far.

Go for the New 3DS, whether it's the regular or XL, dropping the extra cash is absolutely worth it for the superior compatibility and performance, just keep the firmware situation in mind and the fact that it's more fiddly to hack in a lot of cases. 2DS is a good option if you're poor (3D is just a novelty/fad/gimmick anyway), but you won't be playing Xenoblade or Hyrule Warriors on it.

N3DS hacking is easier than O3DS hacking after not needing to downgrade for OTP anymore.

Anyone knows? Guys?

Why not just use the retroarch version?

HELP PLS
any DS emulators use DirectX9 or 8? I want to do some model ripping for papercraft purposes.

Goddamned geek chic faglords

Sorta relevant, anyone played Super Mario Sunshine for DS?

Desume?

I want one of these. Why are they so fucking expensive?

What's the best SNES emulator?

I am trying to play Metal Slug XX on my phone using PPSSPP

Everything in the menus looks fine but as soon as the game begins, it looks terrible, like it has a shitton of artifacts, the game runs and plays and everything is there but it looks like pixel shit smeared on the screen. Anyone can relate or fixed this?

Is this your first emulation or did you ever use emulation before? If it's your first, perhaps you forgot to up the resolution of the emulator

Depends on the features you want but either SNES 9x or Bsnes mercury on retroarch.

I have an EMS 64M that I got from Kitsch-Bent for $45, an EZ-Flash IV Micro SDHC that I got from AliExpress right when it came out for the same price, and an R4DS that I got for $6. They all work well, but the EMS is a bit of a pain in the ass and the Everdrive GB makes it obsolete. The R4 I have only supports normal/non-HC MicroSD cards, too. I don't mind it, especially for only six bucks, but there's better versions. Don't
get flashcarts for 3DS, they might purposely brick your system. Get CFW for that.

FUCK

Try narrowing the search down. There was an improved model that's semi-rare now, I see normal ones going for around $40.

Is it actually out yet?

I ve been playing harvest moon: hero of leaf valley and it looks fine, i think this has something to do with the gpu ignoring the upscaling just for this game, i have tried many resolution mixups (rendering and scaling) without success

I have an EZ IV + GB Micro. Incredible combo, I can play any GBA game at any time with the best screen around.

these were never good, plus the majority was made of cheap plastic instead of glass, in fact i don't remember a single real glass one

homebrewed 3ds' have access to agb_firm
your 3ds can natively emulate gba games pretty well, no need of flash cart

they are p.good, when you get the right thing.

the real problem is it collects fingerprints like a mofo

there's no point without fludd

Yep, works right, thanks

could you do me a favor and tell me if super metroid with Snezziboy runs too shitily?

I'm thinking of picking up the R4i 3DS Gold to play DS games on my 3DS (I don't have a regular DS anymore and I want to play on all those games I missed out on).
Is it actually worth it, or will it brick my 3DS?
Also, what size MicroSD do you recommend I should get with it? I plan on putting a fuck ton of games on it, but I know DS games are a lot smaller than the average 3DS game.

fludd is in it

bumping because good material to read

I dunno how good these are but 12 bucks isn't expensive. lol

handheldlegend.com/collections/gba-products/products/game-boy-advance-frontlight?variant=11710313283

CFW DS, get R4 Wood and wait until DS loading. If you're wanting to go the distance with downloading, get a 128GB. I just assume a flashcart can use that much memory, but check beforehand obviously.

CFW 3DS*

What's wrong with front light?

meh.

Doesn't the backlight model have refresh rate problems?