JRPG recommendations

So I've played pretty much every single Final Fantasy for SNES and Playstation. I'm a big Dragon Quest fan. Looking for great JRPGs, preferably for those systems but I'm also looking at any system I can emulate.

What would you recommend? I know this board has pretty good taste. Also general JRPG discussion thread. I think I'm gonna start Breath of Fire 3 today.

Other urls found in this thread:

khinsider.com/vgwallpapers/dragon-valor
warosu.org/vr/thread/1302929
h2.dion.ne.jp/~y_taro/cn15/cn32/pg420.html
legendra.com/rpg/fiche-galerie-1-type-art-rpg_id-876-supports_id-15-so-galeries.html#galerie_art_876_15_20_1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Check the Falcom thread

Excellent choice.

PROTIP: Keep Ryu at LV1 by purposely killing him until the 1st Master shows up. Doing this lets you pump him up with 10 levels of +AP boost from the Wizard with the Book in the woods & nets you 4 decent Spells early in the game.

Protip: Keep 1 of every weapon you find. If you can get (14 I think?) unique weapons saved up, a master opens up early that can teach you some moves you wouldn't normally be able to get until much later.

Protip: Get Yourself the Silver Knife Early on From the Fishing Spot. You need a Coin from the woods to catch the Fish merchant to do this.

Now you're ready to play Breath of Fire III like a Pro.

If you want really good retro jrpgs, you'll have to explore the PC-98. Check out Dungeon Harlem or Laplace No Ma.
There are some titles on the megadrive such as the Madō Monogatari series if you want to stay with console rpgs.

fuck 3 play Dragon Quarter

Metal Max Returns on the SNES is really good if you like Dragon Quest.

Seconding this. Possibly the least casual Japanese Console RPG of all time. Never did beat that bottomless Dungeon. I got like 13 floors in & then had to stop.

they do, for example no one has recommended that entry shit game of Chrono Trigger so i know Holla Forums isn't casuals

No thanks.

It's not a Timelimit. It's your CasualFag meter. The more casual you are the higher it goes. If it fills up 100% the game calls you a faggot & you Game over. I've never gotten a Game Over from it. If you get a Game Over that way then you deserve to start again from the beginning because you clearly have no idea what the fuck you're doing.

7th Dragon 2020
It's a little known, Etrian Odyssey clone for the PSP. Unfortunately, it's on the easy side, but it's got a neat, near future apocalypse setting, doesn't shy away from handing out a heaping helping of despair, and does a nice twist on standard RPG classes. For example, instead of bards as your support class, there's hacker. Instead of mages or wizards, there's psychic. There's a fan translation, but to give an idea of how bad it is, they translated the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building as "Tokyo Town Hall." The sequel, 2020-II, does much better in terms of challenging the player, but it feels largely rehashed from 2020, and I don't know of any translation patch or current translation effort. Emulation of both games on PPSSPP is flawless.

Check out Trails in the Sky if you haven't already

Pass. It could be a great game for all I know, but that boxart.

Most people probably assumed you've played it already. If you haven't, you really should as it's the best JRPG ever made, and you have shit taste if you disagree.

I just want a JRPG that doesn't take place in Japan based around a bunch of 14 year old students. Nier was great for example. Absolutely unique premise & world building. Breath of fire 5 takes place underground.

I'm not looking for a JRPG with a setting like that.

If you're capable of emulating Gamecube shit Skies of Arcadia and Baten Kaitos are both really fucking good

c'mon man , a schoolgirl weaving a katana, an effeminate man, and a tough looking girl, are you implying this isn't the most unique JRPG

Live A Live

I'm not playing J-Idol weebshit.

came here 2 laff @ u

Final Fantasy Legend 2 lets you customize your entire party. It has robot party members (who basically are what they equip, with a few caveats) and monster party members (who transform by eating the meat of other monsters). You can go through the game with a balanced party or something crazy like 4 robots or 4 monsters. The plot is thin but full of funny engrish and censorship (substituting bananas for opium).

Dragoon X Omega II is a really good total overhaul romhack of FFI. It's main gimmick is that you only control one character, so status effects, damage dealing, and inventory space become difficult to juggle. The spritework and music are top notch, and the setting and story are somewhat dark. The game is pretty difficult and grindy, if that's your thing. The title has 0 relevance to anything in the game.

B8 not withstanding
for pc try the Ys series , as for ps1 some games that go unnoticed more often than not are Battle Hunter , Dragon Valor and Front Mission 3

Live A Live,
not Love Live

Live a Live is a game about playing as characters from various periods in history, and sometimes from the future.

Valkyrie Profile

This is a good post made by a refined gentleman of superior breeding and education.

Hack a PS2 and get started on SMT.

What a charming little game
It's a shame that it doesn't get more recognition

Granstream Saga

If you want JRPGs then you should really play Undertale OP. I'm serial about this

I enjoyed Skies of Arcadia, but it hasn't aged as well as I thought it did. Plus there's pretty much one OP strategy once you work it out.

pls man, fuck yourself with a rusted knife

i rented it for a weekend. it was pure shit.

To be fair most classic JRPGs forced you to pay for healing at inns.

SMT Nocturne

subtle

No, take Bunyan as a master and you'll kill everything easy with super combo. Also don't forget to do resets when you'll be fighting claw in the arena, she drops speed boots and it grants you extra turns.

How rare is the speed boots drop from claw?

I recently played through SaGa Frontier in it's entirety. It's a mostly non-linear JRPG on the PS1 with interesting combat and 7 different storylines. The characters and storylines themselves are ok, but the gameplay is going to be the main draw due to it's combo system. Honestly, I would recommend playing through a single storyline or two they can last anywhere between 8-15 hours depending and see how you feel after that. The reason I say this is because the optional content in the game is largely the same between each character, and playing through it 7 times can get rather tiresome. The music is really good, and I found the graphics to be charming, but goddamn that repetition. I haven't played SaGa Frontier 2 yet, so I can't recommend it.

SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 are both quite good.

1 is a bit unfinished (quite unfinished if you truly know what is missing from the game), but some of the routes are fantastic.

2 is much more polished, but quite a bit more linear. It still have branching character quests, but 3 of the major story arks lead from one to another. The other story arks are either quite short to one of's. The combo system is still around, but a bit more intuitive (maybe?). The end stages of the game are also quite difficult and the final dungeon throws you a couple of neat curveballs regarding the final boss. Would highly recommend. Great visuals and music to boot.

Yeah. I was appalled when I discovered all of what was missing from 1. I can't wait to get into 2 as well, but I'm taking a break because 1 wore me out a bit. Currently playing through Rising Zan, but the screenshots I've seen from 2 look really nice.

I loved SaGa Frontier 1. I played through all the characters two times over. Would've been nice if they added in Fuse's storyline, though.

Same. I always felt like some of the characters could have got their own games and they would have turned out awesome.

A full Asellus or Red game would be fantastic.

I really enjoy the Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts series; they're PS1 and PS2 (Wild Arms has a tactical spin off on the PSP), though might want to double check what setting you might need for the PS2 ones. I'd recommend them if you want turn-based combat with a neat setting (Wild Arms being wilderness/frontier/western depending on the entry; Shadow Hearts series takes place on early 1900s Earth), and the Shadow Hearts series even has a rather neat combat system as well.

Have fun with Breath of Fire III. It starts off a bit slow in pace, but is really good and uses the childhood section to build and establish character and how they relate to one another.

As others have said, Live-a-Live is not Love Live.

JRPG GRAD SCHOOL

1. Chrono Trigger -> Xenogears -> Chrono Chross -> Xenosaga 1 ->(Youtube Xenosaga 2 cutscenes)-> Xenosaga 3 -> Radiant Historia -> Xenoblade

2. SMT2 -> Soul Hackers -> Persona 2IS-> Persona 2EP -> Nocturne -> Strange Journey

3. Wild ARMs 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> (ACF if you skipped 1 ->) XF

4. Koudelka -> Shadow Hearts -> Shadow Hearts 2 -> Shadow Hearts FTW -> Cry yourself to sleep that there is now WW2 Shadow Hearts game where you play as wacky Evola

Alternatively don't do this, min-maxing makes the game easier than it already is if you're not retarded

Yeah, there's nothing that requires that level of grinding in BoF3 or 4. They're superbly well balanced. All you're doing is giving Momo more spell she'll never using the long run.

Trails of Cold Steel

God, Momo was such a beast if you got that accuracy accessory. Shes easily the third best character in the game after Ryu and teh rei

I've been meaning to get around to Legend of Heroes sometime, preferably starting with the Trails in the Sky subseries (I've heard the Cold Steel games reference events from TitS, or something; I might have opted to start with the Gagharv games if they didn't have horrid translations, at least from what I know of them). I've heard that TitS has a good amount of annoyingly missable things as far as aiming for 100% goes (and I assume you can transfer prior data to SC). Is it that big of an issue in the long run?

Apparently some of the former members of Nautilus have been working on a game that they can't discuss publicly just yet. Part of me would like to believe it might be a proper Shadow Hearts III (FtNW being confirmed side-game), but I doubt that Aruze is wiling to part with the license even though they're doing fuck-all with it.

Shadow Heart's entire premise is public domain, though. Who can stop them from simply making another historical horror JRPG?

I would kill for a Shadow Heart style game in WW2 or Vietnam.

bump

Start with Trails in the Sky 1 and then play them in release order. The different subseries within the Legend of Heroes :Trails series (Skies, Zero/Ao, and Cold Steel) share a single setting, being in countriest that border each other and take place around the same time (all games thus far have taken place within two years of each other) and a single central plot.

You can jump in at any subseries, but you'll want the full picture, and thus should just start from the beginning.

The only thing you miss by not 100%ing a Trails game are some minor game-play perks and dialogue that would reference side quests you did in the previous games. For example, transferring a fully completed CS1 clear file to Cold Steel 2 only gets you an accessory, some materia shards and a few non-unique Materia, all things you could get by grinding for an hour. It isn't worth the hassle (yet I do it every time).

True, but I was talking direct continuation, given that the series ended chronologically around 1929-30 or so (not entirely clear on how long FtNW takes place over yet; still playing it).

But yeah, I could have seen a World War II period entry being somewhere down the line, given the occult interests the Nazis had. Though apparently their actual idea for SHIII, according to a translated interview, would have been a prequel of sorts starring Jinpachiro Hyuga and Kiheita Inugami as the main characters (the latter of which being rather interesting, as we know what eventually happened to Yuri's dad already, but all we know about Kiheita is that he's dead as of Covenant).

For some reason that idea brings to mind the introductory scenes of Blood+ with those soldiers suddenly being attacked by feral chiroptera, one even having his head bitten off.

Is there a spoiler free list of notable missables in TitS FC? I remember something I really liked when playing Shadow Hearts Covenant after SH1 was that, while save data doesn't transfer, it did reference particular side quests and optional content from the prior game at times (such as Yuri remarking he that he swears he met [Gold Bat] before, as well as probably the biggest reference being Yuri gaining Amon's Soul). Strikes me that it might be nice to get at the extra dialogue for continuity with TitS.

There is no reason to bump after just five minutes. Holla Forums might be fast compared to some other boards but it's not half/v/ fast (thankfully).

Don't play Legend of Heroes OP. It's laughably terrible.

for PSP/PPSSPP

BoF 2 and 3 are pretty great, 4 is worth a play too but it's not on par with 3.

don't waste your time on Trails in the Sky, it's a very mediocre series with a interesting background that is never properly used, also avoid Falcom circle jerk threads.

Don't listen to this autists advice. Play the game naturally first time.

Worth adding to that that BoF II's official translation is awful. Thankfully it has a full fan retranslation for use with the SNES original since Capcom couldn't give a fuck about retranslating it themselves when it came time for the GBA ports of BoF I and II.

No, you pretty much need to constantly follow a guide, as most of the missables are quests or dialogue options you have to hit. However, the only thing you get of value for 100%ing FC in SC is a quartz (materia) that raises drop rates, of which you will get another, so it isn't a big deal. Just play the game as you would any other.

Alright, might get started on FC later then. Thanks.

I don't read moonspeak m8

If you're gonna play SoGay Frontier, pick Red or Asellus or Emelia's quests first. The others are confusing and directionless.

Don't play any Xenosaga games. Radiant Historia is a good honorary Xeno game tho.

Also, Devil Survivor is the best Megami Tensei game.

Where I come from, we sacrifice people like you in triple fusions.

Hot

pls

Might also drop this here since it seems like it might be relevant to others. Some user in the last few weeks or so threw a Mega together with all the beta patches for the retranslation of Ar Tonelico II (which is currently at Beta 5a, a bugfix for an issue encountered in Beta 5). The patches are publicly usable (ideally for testing purposes, but to my knowledge is still really ideal for the sake of actually playing the game to enjoy it, as it removes the need to deal with NISA's shitty official handling of the game), but generally locked behind needing an account on their forum to access as it's not considered 100% release status yet.

Some of the rars were reported as not being able to be decompressed, so individual uncompressed folders are also included for some of the items.

mega:///#F!U9xGULJB!LYRULsnTNoHjMIljruxpzA

Would also be nice if some user could upload a fully patched file of the game to Vola or Mega, since patchers for games beyond fourth gen or so don't tend to get along well with my toaster. Might also be the case for some other anons as well.

How about Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land on the PS2? First-person dungeon crawling with the option of having either custom created characters or NPC's that can join your group. There's a bit more plot + story in this game compared to other Wizardry games and there's a trust system where you can use team attacks that allow more options in fights. Provided that the trust your character has with the other members (Custom created or not) is high enough to use the ability in the first place. It emulates pretty well for the most part but there have been issues where enemy ninjas can slow the game down a bit, not a big problem unless you have giant horde of them which can really slow things down.

Fallout 4

It's a great game and all, but not really typical JRPG as it leans more to dungeon crawling

While "JRPG" might bring to mind a certain style, I just tend to think of it as a region of origin classifier. You can tack on a number of other descriptors to give a more accurate glance of a game, be it the combat styles, themes/inspiration, gameplay style, etc.

Just my take on the term though.

It's okay, just thought OP might think that VS is a typical RPG game with parties and stores and places to go and get disappointed when in fact VS is a really nice game

Yeah, I get that. Just gotten annoying over the years to see some people try to claim that a particular Japanese made RPG doesn't count as a JRPG because it doesn't fit the stereotypical set up, or try to say a western made RPG counts as a JRPG due to taking some inspiration from JRPGs. I once saw someone try to claim Tales didn't count as a JRPG simply because it didn't have turn-based combat. Still not real sure if they were being serious about it or not.

That is a good point though about making sure someone knows what they're in for though.

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, for PS1.

The game has been remade a million times, and this isn't even close to it's first incarnation, but in my opinion it's the best. The battle system is kinda close to that of Grandia 1 (Which is another great PS1 RPG), it's basically classic Final Fantasy style fighting, but you have movement as well, so how close or far from an enemy you are matters. There's a touch of Chrono Trigger in the battle system as well, with AOE attacks that hit multiple enemies.

Game is a bit grindy, but not horrifically so. Story is a bit cliched, but it's a fantastic one. Enemies are great, and the character development is some of the best of it's time (especially since the original Sega CD game was written in 1992)

Anime cutscenes are great, music is godly, game is a good length, and waifus are everywhere if you're into that sort of bullshit.

Here's a CGR review of it, for those interested.

I still wonder why the first game got so many versions, but Lunar 2 didn't see nearly as much in comparison.

Yeah, Lunar 2 was great. Not quite as good as the first, but pretty damn good.

It's a shame it doesn't get the remakes, but to be fair, the remakes are normally pretty heavily cut down, and shit.

I wonder if there will ever be a retranslation effort for them. I mean, they seem reasonably popular, but at the same time I used to see a fair amount of people back in the day on halfchan praise Working Design's localization work with claims that "JRPG scripts are usually shit anyhow" and that "Working Designs made the Lunar games memorable" (meanwhile, I don't see nearly that much praise for their work here). Just strikes me that if the western fanbase is that divided on the issue, there may not be demand to do so (though to be fair lack of demand hasn't exactly stopped some fans that are devoted enough and know moon to go do their own effort despite there not being a huge fanbase clamoring for it to be done; Breath of Fire II and AT2, for example).

I've had both PS1 versions on my backlog for a while, but after hearing about the localization issues they don't have that much priority from me to play.

Azure Dreams is another gem from the PS1 era.

I don't even know how to describe this game. It's basically a roguelike Pokemon with Harvest Moon-esque romance, world building, and a pretty good story to boot.

Battle system is grid based, and reminiscent of Diablo. The levels of the tower are randomly generated, and traps and items are everywhere. The level system is interesting as well. Each time you enter the tower, your level is reset to 1, but your monsters maintain their levels. Your monsters don't attack by themselves as much as they attack through you, and there's tons of them (you can even fuse them together to form different, or stronger monsters.

There's not much to the world, Much like Diablo 1, the game is set in a single town, and has a single dungeon that's constantly changing, but you build up the town as you play, and there's plenty of side quests to keep you busy.

Replayability is through the roof, and you're basically Tenchi Masaki with a veritable Harem of girls always vying for your attention.

They did take some liberties with the localization, but to be fair, the game is still 100% worth a play. There's not really too much changed from the JP to the western release, story-wise. Most of the liberties are inconsequential, like making one of the towns talk in a southern drawl.

Honestly though, don't let that stop you from playing one of the best JRPGs of the 90s.

And a gameplay sample for anyone interested.

Well, it's certainly not as if I haven't played and enjoyed various games that had translation issues (Wild Arms 2, for example), though there's certainly a difference between unintentional issues (WA2 has struck me mostly as suffering from a lack of editing to get the text to flow well) and deliberately changing things up. And I'm not a fan of Ireland after what he's said in an interview recently.

I mean, I still plan on giving them a go someday, but I don't think it's going to be real soon. My JRPG backlog is huge as is.

Yeah I get you. The localization doesn't really detract from the enjoyment of the game unless you're an overly autistic type that often screams about moonrunes. The voice acting is a bit cringy at times, but I think that's more just 90's VA, and less a localization issue.

I don't want to fanboy over it too much, but even if it has it's issues with a questionable localization, it's still one I would put near the top of your list, especially if you're a fan of the 80s-90s era High Fantasy/D&D-esque story lines, or love stories.

With that, I'll stop my incessant shilling of the game.

Hey, there's some series I get autistic over myself (made the images in , as well as having a pair for Shadow Hearts still in the works that I can't quite get satisfied with yet, which is what happens when you have access to image manipulation and get real invested in a series to do something for). I understand.

And I'm not the sort that demands straight up literal translation in a game; I know theres some changes that are necessary to make (namely grammar/text flow and substitution of regional specific things for equivalencies when stuff doesn't translate over well directly from Japanese), but I prefer needless changes to be kept to a minimum (especially censorship). I just don't like this trend that a number of companies have taken to of telling potential customers that if they want accurate scripts and 100% of the original content in the games they play to fuck off and learn Japanese.

Yeah, no one likes censorship.
And yeah, Vic Ireland is a shithead, admittedly he did fill the game with pop culture references and a bit too much humor, but it still works all in all.

Apparently the newer PSP version is re-localized by x-seed, and some people tend to like their localization better. The game is also apparently rather faithful (and still uses the PS1 anime cutscenes), but I wouldn't be able to play it because the updated art style just looks odd to me.

They also seem to have shortened the dungeons in the PSP version, but people do seem to think it's one of the best remakes.

Upon further examination, apparently there's an intro to the game that was added that kind of spoils the entire game's plot with heavy-handed foreshadowing.

It seems the remake was made for fans of the Sega CD/PS1 versions, and it would make for a terrible first play, since all the twists and turns of the game are pretty much laid bare in the beginning.

FFS, you get a better localization, but it spoils the entire game for you. You can't win, user. You just can't win.

I'd heard about that before with the PSP version. You'd think they would have it as something optional or whatever (and mark it as having potential spoilers or something). Still, that strikes me as more a fault with whoever it was that developed the PSP version rather than a western publisher having an issue.

Yeah, I just watched it on Youtube, and it blatantly foreshadows a few of the biggest plot twists in the entire game.

I have no fucking clue why they would do this. Most old fans that already know the story will appreciate it, but why the hell it's in the VERY beginning of the game is ridiculous. There's a few places later in the game the scene would fit in and not spoil it.

So yeah, it looks like the PS1 version is the one to go with for when you do eventually play it.

Honestly, had XSEED wanted to see if they could get the devs to tweak that slightly, maybe have it in a start up menu as a separate option to view (clearly labeled as having spoilers) distinctly away from the main game, that would be a change I don't think many would take issue with.

On the other end of the spectrum, you've got games with non-spoiler prologues that you wouldn't even know were something in the game unless you leave it sitting on the start screen for a while. Like the prologue for Wild Arms 1 with the Fenrir Knights trying to stop the demons from destroying Arctica. I only found out about that like halfway through my first playthrough. Having it play upon starting a new save file, instead of the start screen, would have been of more use to the player.

Let's not go down that path again
As long as it qualifies as an RPG , is made in japan and corresponds to OP's specifications about platforms it is for all intents and purposes a JRPG as far as this thread goes

Also more importantly : can anyone tell me where to get the Dragon Valor gallery art in high resolution?

Oh hey, I don't see Dragon Valor brought up that much. Probably doesn't help that (as far I know) it's the only game in its series to come west (unless the arcade version of the first game did?), so it might not have ever been real popular.

If you're looking for official art, I'm not sure how readily you're going to be able to find anything in high res. I think with a lot of older games, especially the ones that aren't real popular (where the company may not care anymore to make high res art available), it can be a real pain trying to find stuff in high quality, unless a company gets ahold of the actual original files for use in an artbook or something (looking at Wild Arms, most stand alone official art for WA1 and 2 that I've found is generally really low res, but XSEED obviously got ahold of some high res files for use in The Art of Wild Arms, and at least there's full scans of that book). I mean, it took me quite a while to try to track down high res character art for Tales of Eternia, and I still can't find much in the way of high res official art of the craymels (if they even made the art larger than this).

I'll check some places I've looked before for stuff, but no guarantees.

Ghose best girl

It's kind of a shame the shops in town don't have much on offer (unless I'm doing something wrong), though I suppose they would be pretty gamebreaking if they did; considering how much cash you can get in a short time once the casino is built.

little tip: Gold swords and Leather, wood mirror and diamond shields don't rust so can be safely upgraded without annoying rust traps degrading them

Already off to a bad start doing a quick google; some furfag artist seems to use that as his pen name so that's what also comes up in addition to stuff from the game. If you're searching, make sure to specify "PS1" or something.

Creative Uncut had zilch. KHinsider has a few pieces as (Early 2000's screen resolution) wallpaper sized images, so obviously at least some of it has larger sized images out there.
khinsider.com/vgwallpapers/dragon-valor

Seems like someone on half/vr/ found somewhat decent res art at some point, as an archived Waruso thread from 2013 seems have a few. Most seem a bit blurred on the edges rather than sharp though, so it wouldn't surprise me if they'd been blown up some. Also not a long thread at all and devolved into a back and forth about the game being good or just mediocre and unoriginal ("Phantasy Star III did it first" "Shut the fuck up, you are dog shit on a stick").
warosu.org/vr/thread/1302929

Also this. Sometimes you can find various Japanese sites that have stuff. Sometimes they've long since gone down (Nostalgic Phantasian, for example, was a site owned by the original artist for Tales of Phantasia back when it was "Tale Phantasia", and he had a lot of really old pre-release art there) but have been archived or otherwise reuploaded. Not sure what the case here is but he's got a small gallery of stuff.
h2.dion.ne.jp/~y_taro/cn15/cn32/pg420.html

This place has a good amount of official art for the game, but it's mostly low res. Might come in handy for reverse image searching though.
legendra.com/rpg/fiche-galerie-1-type-art-rpg_id-876-supports_id-15-so-galeries.html#galerie_art_876_15_20_1

Ultimately though, I suppose without playing the game and seeing the actual gallery, it might be hard to be able to tell what all you're looking for image wise.

On a related note, clicking around a bit in that h2.dion link, I found a bonus of what looks to be some apparent location concept art for Wild Arms ACF. That makes me pretty happy.

Loved Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana as kid. First video game I stayed up all night playing. Just beat 2. Not sure if I'm just a nostalgiafag or it was just pretty meh, and smaller than the first game. Now I'm on chapter 4 of the third game., and it sucks and the world is tiny. Will Mana Khemia and Ar Tonelico games be worth playing if I didn't like this shit? Also, someone mentioned a retranslation of the Ar Tonelico game(s) is in progress. Would it be worth the wait?

I haven't played the Iris games myself yet, but I've generally heard decent stuff about MK 1 and 2 (although like the Iris games, to my knowledge they're still a fair bit difference than the Atelier games before and after the ones we got on the PS2 in the west). Might help if you have access to emulating PS2 games, or a modded system for playing PS2 games digitally though. While MK 1 is fairly cheap and not too hard to find (assuming you're talking actual copies) from what I've seen of it, MK 2 is hard to find and somewhat pricy for a PS2 game.

As far as I know, Ar Tonelico is its own thing, though I think there's a few shared elements. It's not like it's necessarily a spin-off. Still, it and Surge Concerto are pretty damn niche, and not for everyone if I remember what I've seen mentioned in posts before correctly. Might be worth doing some research on, or perhaps an user that's played them might show up and be better able to describe how they compare with Atelier (you could always wait for the next Gust thread that isn't just the standard "wich atelier wud yu fug" tier shitposting and ask there if nothing happens here too, I suppose).

You might take that with a grain of salt though, as again, both series are still on my backlog. I can only really speak on what I've heard.

I'm emulating. My grandmother sold a bunch of the games I used to play as a kid. Right now I'm on Wild Arms 3. Never finished it when I was younger and damn is the music great.

Yeah, Michiko Naruke did a really, really good job with the music for the series. Too bad she got sick partway through WA4 and didn't return to the series after that. I will say though that Kouda and Agematsu did a pretty good job with the music for WA4 and especially 5 though (I assume the same for XF, but I'll admit I still need to give that one a go).

Speaking of the music, I really like this take on one of the dungeon themes in WA3.

Fiaa emburem.

Start with seven, then decided from there whether to go forward or back.

It's entirely your choice, but I would still really recommend not going past path or radiance or radiant dawn. Most of the DS fire emblems are cancer

XF's soundtrack is the best since Naruke left.

Has Thracia 776 ever gotten a 100% finished translation?

Considering Kaneko has apparently met up with some of the prior devs this year (including Naruke), I have to wonder if we might get a Wild Arms 6 with composition by all three composers the series has had.

No, but all dialogue and necessary information has been translated. The few things missing are things like options and help menus.

Why didn't they bother to actually finish the rest? I'm just wondering. I mean, with something like, say, Soma Bringer, I can kind of get why the encyclopedia or whatever is untranslated since it's a LOT of extra text, but I wouldn't think options or help/tutorial stuff would be that much of an issue to translate for a patch

Because it was translated almost a decade ago back before that shit got streamlined.

As said, romhacking was a lot more technical in the past. There's also the fact that font rendering on the SNES was not a solved problem like it is today. Often kanji in menus are not part of the game's text system, instead being little graphical icons seperate from the normal font. In that case you can't just write a word there, rather you have to replace it with an icon that somehow communicates that thing to an english speaker, which is more effort than it's worth for such a minor detail.

Oh, so it would have required image editing instead as they weren't part of the script? I suppose it's a lot easier for them to make something that uses just a symbol or two to represent an idea than it is to do the same in a western alphabet, especially for stuff with longer word it out here.

It's why many games from the era will have a little STR icon or somethig like a muscle to indicate a strength stat, for example. Localisers could not use text to replace the single kanji that was there.

You're doing it right, OP.
Teepo is the Dragon Lord who you fight and kill in Eden(Cear Xhan)
Myria is a snake goddess, the main villain and the sister of Deis
Rei, Nina and Momo are shit/useless in endgame
Magic is useless/weak in endgame, go for high HP, high power and high defense which means Peco and Garr
You can beat Gaist easily with frost warrior and Arwan with Kyrie
Did i ruin the game for you now?

That makes sense. Hell, a lot of games still tend to do shorthand stat abbreviations. Though in some cases I wish said abbreviations would have remained consistent for various series.

Nigger, I'll give you Nina, but do you even EX turns and shadow walk?

stay pleb then :^)

people here actually like eye divine cybermancy

double jian

I've been trying to binge a whole bunch of Super Nintendo games lately. If you haven't played Breath of Fire 1 and 2 I would recommend those. And if you like Final Fantasy I'm sure you'd enjoy SaGa series, although Romancing SaGa 1 & 2 have yet to be fan-translated. I myself still need to get around to playing some RPGs I've stashed, but most of the good ones tend to be around the SNES to PS1 era. NES style RPGs are a bit slow and anything after PS1 is too "muh cinematic." Plus PS2 emulation is still shite.

Reminder that if you haven't played Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door you are literally a nigger

fuk up cunt

Romancing SaGa 1 SFC has actually been fan translated; came out this year, I think. RS2 though is still in fan translation hell, and it wouldn't shock me if AG cancels it over Square releasing the remake for mobile phones out here in the west.

There's a pretty large fan-translation scene for SFC games, especially JRPGs. Still a number of them that have seen no efforts though for whatever reason, like Granhistoria, or WolfTeam's Dark Kingdom.

To translate. The game supplies you with an alternate dragon form that will basically chew through any enemy with no real effort. But your character has a corruption meter called a D-counter. You gain between .001 and .002% D-Counter every few steps, but you gain whole integers (a max of 3% with any normal attacks) while in Dragon form.

Casuals may try and over rely on the Dragon form because encounters in Dragon quarter definitely spike in difficulty and challenge after the first major boss. If you do rely on the Dragon form you will quickly rack up D-counter and reach 100% which results in a game over.

The way Game overs work in Dragon Quarter is you have three options. S.O.L restart, which allows you to start the game from the beginning while retaining any skills and equipped items. S.O.L Restore, which starts your game from the last save point used with 0% D-counter and only the items you had equipped. And Game over which jumps you back to the start menu and you can reload your last save.

Basically you need to ration when you use Dragon form and play very efficiently.

Which reminds me that I need to actually finish Dragon Quarter.

Has La Wares been translated yet?

The more I hear about Dragon Quarter the more it seems like a really good game. If only they released it as a spin-off, maybe it wouldn't have killed the franchise..?

Play it. You can find it in the wild for $10 at most resale shops and it's easy enough to find online.

It's an amazing game and the only reason it's not considered a classic is because it was so radically different mechanically from the previous 4 games that fans of the core series were less receptive to it.

Still in the process with the team reporting 50% completion as of now. Dynamic Designs has a number of RPGs in they're working on bringing into English (closest to completion right now seem to be Aretha SFC and Princess Minerva), but have been releasing translations of less text heavy games in the meantime (such as Hyper Iria and Demon Child Zenki).

It's struck me that had they made it clear it was a side game and had an actual Breath of Fire V in development alongside it it might have been better liked. It was outright considered Breath of Fire V in Japan though, and had no other entry in the works. Makes me think it was too different for a main series entry.

I can vouch for it being really cheap. Haven't picked it up myself yet though, since I haven't seen it in all that good of condition where I live.

Yeah, I'll definitely pirate it. Probably should replay bof 4 in japanese though, since I've done that with the other three muh censored scenes

My fucking african cumbaya!
Dragon quarter was one of my fav ps2 games, i hate how nobody played it because "muh 2 hard"

I know its more of a strategy rpg but damn… Damn. This one is good

I've wondered if maybe someone might do a restoration patch for BoF IV sometime to reimplement the missing/changed scenes (and translate the ones that weren't in the western release), but I'm not sure there's demand. To my knowledge Breath of Fire's fanbase is a bit small, and even some years back on halfchan when the issue of the censorship in the western release would come up, aside from the scenes with that one character getting killed in Japan but not the west (admittedly I still need to give BoF IV a go myself, so I'm not sure who it is exactly off the top of my head), people were divided about the scenes not being included in the western release, with some claiming the fanservice ones added nothing anyhow.

Also, not for the faint of heart

Scenario OverLay is what it stands for.

I can't wait to start playing this.

Yggdra Union, a turn based SRPG on the GBA that got remade for the PSP. It's a game about taking ultra kawaii-uguu freaks of nature and fighting through some ridiculous bullshit while feeling terrible about it all. Y'know, classic St!ng stuff. If you've got OCD, this game will absolutely tickle your fancy because you've got more than a thousand collectibles to hunt down through many playthroughs, and you can use and consume them as needed, don't worry about saving stuff. The game is all about positioning. You form unions by placing allies behind your first attacker in a certain way, and enemies will try to do the same. Formations are based on your pointman's gender (plus shape for women, X shape for men), weapon triangles are very important, and smart positioning, item use, geography bonuses, status ailments, and luck can overcome stats. The game features some ludicrous bullshit bosses, which I guess is necessary in every JRPG nowadays, but they're fun to fight regardless. You'll also get pissed off over not getting the results you want in the charge/counter phase of battles, enemies doing questionable moves that end up fucking your strategy over a couple turns later, and the underlying worry that you missed an item because you will walk right past some. There are plenty of rather arcane secrets to hunt down. If you do take up the game, I will advise you to pick up Roswell in one of your playthroughs and learn how his movement in Night phase works. And also learn to be brave with your only permanent mounted unit, Durant. The game hides good items behind formations of enemies, but one of the features of Lance Knights is the ability to ride right through enemy occupied tiles.

But I wouldn't be surprised if you turned this one down. The art is atrocious, but I think that was what they were going for: cute things committing war crimes. Music can also get repetitive after a couple playthroughs. All the allied units and battlefields have good themes but you'll hear them all too often and you'll probably use the emulator's speed up or the PSP's built in fast battle buttons.

Suggest me one for the PSP, i want to kill myself out of boredom. I'll play anything but FF.

Half Minute Hero

Sting consistently makes interesting Genre mashups. Knights in the Nightmare is a pseudo Bullet hell strategy RPG and Baroque is a First person hack and slash roguelike.

I really like their history and Yggdra Union is a game I have been slowly chipping away at for years and I should definitely finish it at some point.

Finish as in 100% completion or get an ending? Because good luck if it's the former. Holy shit the item list. If it's the latter, hurry up. Go for ending B! It's the canon route and it's fun figuring out what to do without a guide.

I never played Baroque but I really enjoyed Knights. Deploying anyone and everyone trying to find out who has relationships with who so I can feed their souls to one another was actually kind of fun. The only three knights I remember are Dreyuss the kid archer, Crozeph the lance knight, and good ol' shit ass rookie Johann. I really went shopping for souls to power them up.

Gonna download that one, there's a sequel too, should i download it as well?

These should tide you over user

Might be wrong, but I think I've heard the fan translation for Half Minute Hero II on the PSP has some issues. XSEED brought the game over for PC though.

Yeah, and Sting's been a around a good while as well, and haven't gone under either.

PSP specific, or PS1 eboots as well?

Granblue Fantasy

Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross
Breath of Fire 2,3,4
Valkyrie Profile
Lunar: Silver Star Story/Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Grandia
Trails in the Sky FC/SC
Legend of Mana
I am Setsuna
Persona 3/4
Star Ocean First Departure/Second Evolution

Implying you need Rei's weak quishy ass for EX turns and Shadow Walk does over 1000 damage on Garr and/or Peco.
Momo, Nina and Rei are too weak & squishy for Archemage, Berserker, GooKing etc.

Bumping with September's translation progress report from Absolute Zero:

Put Rei at the front of chain formation and everyone gets ex turns.

My Ryu, Peco and Garr have over 100 agility.
No need for Rei and chain formation.

Final Fantasy Zhe Edition

So glad that the fan-translator got wind that Square-Enix smelled blood in the water and released a finished translation patch before he got hit with a cease and desist. More-so after the shit Square or whoever they whored the HD version out to for translation pulled with it, as the fan-translated original gives western players a different option, something not every game gets.

Tried a drinking game where every time I shout out 'what' I take a shot of tequila. I didn't finish the game.

Here's the gameplay if you want to try playing the drinking game for 3 min hint: your health isn't what you think it is

Reminds me that someone made both a drinking game and Bingo for Drakengard 2.

Also, that rabbit or whatever it is with the red eyes in that wallpaper or whatever has a serious ahoge going on.

Nice list, I've been looking for more interesting RPG for ppsspp.

That music is so nice.