How about we fuck up out entire shot just for the dvd fam?

How about we fuck up out entire shot just for the dvd fam?

Other urls found in this thread:

studiodaily.com/2006/11/more-on-peter-doyles-di-for-harry-potter/
vimeo.com/206218792
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what did they mean by this?

the rivendell shot looks better though

trading in a blue tint for a yellow tint is no better

you realize that quality TVs have a setting where you can turn down the blue and green tints and up the red?
you could probably make it look just like the bottom shot

The problem is you shouldn't have to do that. Whoever it was in charge of color corrected the HD master for the LotR Blu-rays fucked up massively.

The Blu-Ray version looks better in the third pic.

I don't think they fucked up, I think they were trying to make it look like the later Harry Potter movies.

So they fucked up

Don't touch a properly calibrated TV. That is if you properly calibrated it. You did properly calibrate your TV, RIGHT?! GET THE FUCK OFF THIS BOARD RIGHT NOW.

considering rivendell always looks golden like that no

The latter harry potter movies are done very well plus don't look like that. Only the fifth one is blueish it had the same DP as Trois Couleurs Bleu and the book cover was all blue. Also the guy who actually did the color grading for the theatrical versions of lord of the rings is the guy they hired to do their new 4Khdr transfers.

This for whatever reason whomever did that one fucked it up, is the two towers even messed up? I don't think so.

nigga that's a lie, maybe half blood prince was more of a gray-ish tone, but deathly hallows definitely had a blue tint to it

see, they probably looked at a select few scenes to decide how to color grade it when they all need to be looked at individually.
It's just laziness.

No deathly hallows doesn't have a blue tint at all mate its just a darker film.

Half blood prince is yellow red green and yellows and orange, they tried to make that one look like Rembrandt stuff

This has got to be fake.

But everything looks golden, including the people. It's weird.

well, how do they look on bluray?

what are the best TV's to buy for this sort of feature?
I'm super autistic, and love to fiddle with settings before watching movies

The blurays weren't fucked with but some of them had meh transfers because of the size of the discs, now the new 4K blurays look really good and just like the prints looked in theaters. 1 and 2 specifically are completely new transfers and the last ones look much better than the blurays.

oh god it's always something, is there any really noticeable loss?

I never saw the older ones in theatres, just deathly hallows so I don't have that frame of reference.

I would have to go into detail, but the jump from the first 2 on bluray to 4K bluray is extremely noticeable, both in clarity and colors. 4 also had a fairly muddled looking bluray and the 4K hdr brings out much more of the intended picture and the color pallete looks very nice, the shadowings are much improved, it's also like watching it for the first time compared to the murky bluray transfer.

half blood prince's bluray is actually pretty good but the 4K improves the scenery a lot and the cinematography and soft focus with a higher biterate make it look much more rich. the deathly hallows transfers on bluray were always pretty good but again I think the 4k hdr makes the blacks have much more detail and the hdr specifically for these two is what really makes it worth the purchase as you get effects happening that you wouldn't see in the normal bluray.

Same thing for the order of the phoenix, the battle at the end is so massively improved by the higher bitrate. You can honestly see more crisp details and colors and shadowing than you could before.

Reminder this is not showing the print off well as taking a picture of your television is going to distort the image you would see IRL, but I found these online that some user took of his setup. You can see that in the bluray transfer you couldn't even see Dumbledores face properly in this one shot as it was washed out and now you can/

I dunno man, it seems possible to replicate that with your tv. Dynamic contrast is a thing.

No user the blurays look like ass and it has nothing to just do with the coloring, there's less info available on the bluray discs and the shots suffer across the board with the grain detial

you are correct. Obviously, I can tell just by looking at Dumbledore's hat, but I think if you find a way to match coloring to the right image, it won't be as distracting a difference, is all I'm saying

You aren't supposed to fiddle with those RGB sliders after you've properly calibrated your TV's brightness, contrast, color temperature, and color saturation. If you have to fiddle with those sliders enough, then you got a shitty TV.

That was Fox being lazy and taking their already noisy HD transfer from the mid 2000s and slapping DNR over it rather than scanning an actual film print and doing a proper restoration.

Then I'd take those pics with a grain of salt unless he properly set up his camera in front of the TV. It would be better if he actually ripped the images off the disc, though I hear playing 4K blurays on disc is a pain in the ass.

so you just missed the whole point of this thread?
for a guy who's talking about this shit, that sure made you look dumb.
TV's aren't robots, they can't tell how to auto-adjust to shitty slapped-on color filters from movies

Surely, you could try and color it differently to improve that scene but that would also affect the rest of the film. But the point with the hdr isn't just having the right colors popping its that the colors contain more crisp detail and you can actually see what was originally intended.

You can't really view 4K hdr stills properly on most computers so it's worthless. I'm sure the guy took the best picture he could but he still took a picture in 1920x1080 that was of something that was in 4K so the detail loss is gonna be there on the picture, it just shows the basic kind of comparison though compared to what the bluray offers.

Protip: Even if you fiddle with individual color sliders to fix the grade on a disc, you're bound to fuck up the grading in another scene. If you can't look at shitty color grades, then don't buy the disc because it's shit.

I'm just curious since I'm always skeptical of photos taken from a TV unless it's pointed out what the images captured with. Not saying they're bullshit, but I would be wary of these pics if they were taken with a camera phone.

I gotchu, I'm posting it because I can also confirm this. I have seen the bluray a bunch of times including seeing it this year and even on television. I also got the new 4K and have seen it twice because it looked so good. That scene was so good the second time I watched it and paid attention, the dripping effects from the wands you couldn't even see before because it was all white washed and white light, this lowered all of that and brought out the blue and pink and reds very nicely. The flaming snake also looks much better.

you can't tell me what to do, son

woah, dude, like if you turn down the brightness, the lights will, like, pop out more.

woah! mind = blown

It has nothing to do with the tv settings and brightness lol the bluray isn't as clear as the UHD

do you understand what default settings are?

Watched the theatrical and it looked like shit yet this shot and scene looked like it should. The theatrical version is also cut badly.

is VHS the last pristine way of watching movies?

No

laserdisk

here's what I was talking about

Colorist Peter Doyle, who pioneered the DI process on The Fellowship of the Ring, is hard at work on his next film, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. He reveals what he's doing on that film to standardize color space across the production.
studiodaily.com/2006/11/more-on-peter-doyles-di-for-harry-potter/
vimeo.com/206218792

Peter Doyle is one of film industry’s most distinguished supervising digital colourists, having handled digital colour grading on the industry’s two largest franchises in movie history, The Lord of the Rings trilogy; and the last six Harry Potter films. He has also colour-graded eight of the 30 highest-grossing films of all time.

Peter has carried out remarkable handling of digital colour-grading for Academy Award-winning cinematographers and directors such as Andrew Lesnie and Bruno Delbonnel, Peter Jackson and Tim Burton to name but a few.

2 years ago i plugged one into a 1080p smart tv via coax and was blown away by how detailed those antique magnetic tapes turned out to be. I was expecting an analogue charm but got a really decent picture that was, frankly, as good as the best DVD

VHS in CY+3 is a meme for kids who never actually grew up with them. Let's how these nostalgic 20 year old OMG IM A LE 90Z KIDS that are buying tapes feel when they see tapes degrade, get chewed up by a machine, and have to constantly rewind after watching.

yess

there's no such thing as properly calibrating a TV when every movie has different color tints and color filters, etc

No user you are supposed to properly calibrate your television so that you never have to adjust it for anything so you can watch multiple different color tinted movies perfectly. Never fuck with the RGB and other shit or you will just make your set ass.

nyuk you know nothing little man