D2/LoD Thread #2

Archive of previous thread:
archive.is/4B7qv

Toward the end of the thread I started detailing instructions on how I setup my private Diablo 2 server. I don't have time to finish a more complete how-to yet, but I do plan to make one including screenshots. It will cover the steps for both Linux (Slackware 14.2), and Windows (v7+ / server 2008+). Luckily it seems like the .conf files for the daemons are identical for both OS.

Let's try to keep it clean this round since we had some Grim Dawn shills derailing and shitting up the last thread.

This is a Diablo 2 thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

miheadlines.com/2014/08/15/man-beaten-hammer-grandys-coney-island-detroits-eastside/
us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/d2/
extreme-gamerz.org/diablo2/viewdiablo2/serverhosting
thepiratebay.se/torrent/6098061
mediafire.com/?nyc122n77lok2cl
svenswrapper.de/english/downloads.html
icyhell.net/2008/05/06/blizzard-battlenet-gateway-editor-v3010702
pastebin.com/QTizfccw
pastebin.com/4Gn3H0r4
pastebin.com/ZCbEJzAu
pastebin.com/2VUTRtMU
pastebin.com/bqeR0CfR
pastebin.com/XwLfnSs6
pastebin.com/beiQC5AQ
pastebin.com/yGYndRP3
pvpgn.pro/download/d2gs/creating_a_red_portal_with_a_cube_recipe.rtf
pastebin.com/QyJNxuSM
mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-iso/slackware-14.2-iso/-Diablo
battle.net/account/management/download/-WINE
slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/wine/-WINE
bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=8866&action=diff-PvPGN
github.com/pvpgn/pvpgn-server-D2GS
pvpgn.pro/download/d2gsStep
pastebin.com/B8j2EvH8
pastebin.com/njkX22gb
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just here to report that Wewuz the Paladin is still alive and on his way to retrieve the staff of kings.

Good luck on Duriel!

Ey yo hol up!
So watchu sayin is
Dat's a blessed hammer dawg
Ey, ey, EY NAW dat's a blessed hammer dawg!
miheadlines.com/2014/08/15/man-beaten-hammer-grandys-coney-island-detroits-eastside/

Ok serious time, what paladin build are you thinking of going with at the moment.

Theres really only one fun build
charge paladin

I've been playing this game for 15 years and I still can't beat hell difficulty on single player

Why am I so bad?

needs moar elemental resistances

Go farm rejuvenation potions until you fill out your entire belt
Also what build are you?

Because i've seen a barbarian player finish hell difficulty solo without going any build
Quite literally his first run through the game and he ended up with points in everything

also i probably should concede that he was level 80-90 at the time and had some armout from the barbarian set and some neat runewords, including two axes that did magic damage cant remember the name and the enigma
He used to duel wield breath of the dying great swords but then ran into a monster in hell with immunities to magic and physical
It literally took him 50 minutes to kill
I think it was one of those tentacle mana stealing ones in act 4

D1>D2. You know I'm right, faggots

it gets old even faster than D2 unless you install The Hell mod

and even then Median XL/Ult towers The Hell when it comes to new content and replayability

Famine, that was the axes name
pretty neat for any barbarian build

I'm using the elemental damage auras and zeal. I also got this cool axe.

What was your favourite class?
I really liked the monk
Wasnt the monk a fun class

There are actually spades that can be used like axes you know?

It's called the Deathspade axe because it was forged by Chazz Deathspade. He is the great grandson of Jim Deathspade, who earned that surname when he forged the original Deathspade, which was actually a spade.

Chazz Deathspade deserves to be lined up an shot

Surely you jest! The hoe was born in it, molded by it; Jim merely adopted it.

I play with The Hell mod and go with Assassin

Surely you jest user?

Which merc is best for a zeal paladin anyway?

You see, Jim's family name was once Deathcorn, because he provided corn for the entire village on his farm. It was called Death Corn because of the terrible gas it created. The first year he planted his corn with the help of the Deathspade, his corn no longer made the village gassy. And so he lost the name Deathcorn and adpoted Deathspade. The higher quality corn began to bring in extra revenue from outside the city and his son, Jordan Deathspade was able to build the Deathspade forge. He started by giving away a free axe with every order of corndogs, and when people noticed his raw smithing talent, the orders flooded in and the Deathspade family began to flourish.

Hmm. Probably Nightmare Act 2 Defense or Offense for either Holy Freeze or Might aura.

The Hell improves mobs and puts in some of the things that were cut from Diablo before release. It also adds a shitton of items and makes the game much harder. Also it adds online multiplayer, new classes, and dual wielding. I recommend you give it a try

This is a Diablo 2 thread. Go make a Diablo 1 thread.

_no

Nobdoy knew how the Deathspade was used to make such delicious corn. The secret was closely guarded by the Deathspade family. By the time Jordan Deathspade was an old man, he owned a great fortress and kept several copies of the Deathspade in a vault deep in his dungeons. While Jordan oversaw the forge, his son Jordan Jr. oversaw the corn fields. Each year a new team of slaves was trained to use the Deathspades and then burned to death after harvest in order to keep the secret safe. When Jordan Jr. took over managment of the forge, his son Chazz took over the fields and fell in love with a slave girl. Determined to save her from being burned alive at the end of the season, Chazz forged the Deathspade Axe and led a slave revolt against his father. Though he was struck down by his father in an epic battle, Chazz managed to release the secret of the Deathspade to the public and put the Deathspade family out of business. Some say that the slave girl gave birth to Chazz's son right before she was burned up after harvest, and that the Deathspade legacy lives on, but this is merely a legend.

Dunno if this was mentioned in the last thread, but does anyone know of a legit torrent I can get that works on Windows 10? My old physical Battlechest CDs keep throwing up errors post-installation.

Inb4 >windows 10, it's a work computer

it adds something Diablo already had?

I'm about 99.99% sure you can download the installer directly from Blizzard (requires login). I know I downloaded my installer from there (same exact situation as you), but I don't remember being forced to log in to get the links. I'll spend a few mins looking for you, though, since it will help everyone.

us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/d2/

Is the .14d patch any good?

take your laptop to work, don't do non-work-related things on a work computer inb4 'my laptop has W10 too'

I read/linked more complete instructions last thread and I still failed. extreme-gamerz.org/diablo2/viewdiablo2/serverhosting

Why do I have to be a nigger?

Anyone down to play on the Slash Diablo server? It's >reddit but in-game it's just old school players and nostalgiabois.

Because those instructions you linked are retarded and old. I remember failing to get it running using them years ago, and getting the shit running on my own by doing tons of digging and patching buggy WINE socks.c.

In the last thread I literally made a brand new Windows 7 VM, downloaded the newest versions of PvPGN and D2GS binaries, configured all the .conf and .reg files, and configured the Windows firewall. That resulted in a fully working private server.

If you can't follow my instructions and end up with a working private server you have something else going on that you're not telling me. Like a bullshit Windows server version, or anti-virus suite, or misconfigured PvPGN/D2GS, or misconfigured firewall. I really don't know else to say other than that is mad niggerish.

I currently have 2 servers going, but I'm nuking this gay Windows test because I did it literally just to help you, and you still couldn't do it…

No. If anything someone should donate me some hypervisor resources and I'll upload a fully configured Holla Forums Diablo 2 server.

The problem is it'd be too easy to bot and hack on your server while Slash already has a community and does yearly ladder resets and active mods that check for botters. At least half the fun was having people to play and race with during ladder resets.

I can turn on d2warden too. I'm obviously not fucking retarded.

Good for them and their community? This is our community. We can run and mod our own server, and our own ladders. Plus, I honestly don't give a shit if people want to bot or maphack. I could setup 2 realms one for you rulecucks with d2warden, and one without.

I'm telling you fam the instructions are fine, although an update would be nice. I honestly don't know what the problem is at this point because the server appears to be working perfectly but I cannot connect to it with my game.

I THINK that it's a port issue now and I need to find which file has an incorrectly listed port. To do this I need to know which port that d2gs listens on.

For some reason every time I start d2gs it gets actived but assigned a random port rather than the one it should be listening on.

I got it to work with either the address translation file or the gateway editor I was using.

You shouldn't need to do anything with the address translation config. Also, in the last thread I thought I mentioned you needed to run the gateway editor to point to the d2gs IP:port around the time you said you could telnet successfully.

Anyway… it works?

The port wasn't needed, but for some reason it worked after hitting detect in the gateway editor. Yeah it works, I'll probably post the ip in a bit so everyone can play.

Congrats nigger!

Also, on behalf of all the Holla Forums D2 faggots, thanks for hosting.

Diablo 1 had, but not Hellfire
Hellfire addon disables multiplayer because it was buggy and unfinished. The Hell is based on the addon and patched back multiplayer in working state

For what it's worth I'm building a new Slackware 14.2 VM (that nigga Patrick forgot to email me in July when it released) running PvPGN 1.99.7.1-PRO + D2GS 1.13d right now. I'll use MySQL (really MariaDB) for storage since the PvPGN stats php looks only there for creating the server stats webpage. When I'm finished with the OS I'll start documenting and making screenshots of the Diablo 2 specifics.

It's nice finishing work early and having almost a whole day to fuck around.

Posting some ancient recycled pasta that I repurposed for your benefit. You can join my server using this.

F.A.Q.

Right here: thepiratebay.se/torrent/6098061

We're running a slightly different version than the default 1.13c vanilla patch called Konkey Dong
It does very slight changes that increase the difficulty of nightmare and hell, adds the ability to get back into the cow portal if you fuck up and kill the king, and SLIGHTLY increases drop rates. Otherwise everything else
is still very much vanilla. (you'll still want a party to get the good shit)
Go here to download the patch mediafire.com/?nyc122n77lok2cl

No, BUT
You should scan it for yourself like every piece of software you download from the internet.

Turned off the warden so feel free to do it if you can get your shit to work. Just keep in mind that you will be mocked if you use anything other than map hacks.

See below for a possible solution.

To install and play the game:
1.Extract it and run d2vidtst.exe to eliminate most graphical glitches. (I recommend you use 7-Zip to do this.)
2.Run Diablo 2.exe.

If problems persist do the following

1. Go here svenswrapper.de/english/downloads.html
2. Download the newest version. this is an emulator tool that tricks diablo into thinking your new fancy graphics card is an old voodoo2 compatible card.
3. Run the program
4a. PANIC SHITS IN GERMAN
4b. Dont be retarded and click the second from the bottom option to turn it into english.
5. Run the identificaiton option.
6. Close the program.
7. Drop the .dll or everything into your Diablo 2 folder
8. Repeat the d2vidtst.exe step and select the gfix slide third option this time

To connect to the server:
1a. go here and download the editor icyhell.net/2008/05/06/blizzard-battlenet-gateway-editor-v3010702
1b. Run BNGatewayEditor.exe.
2. Switch to the SECOND TAB. (IE the Diablo 2/ LOD Tab)
3. Click Add Gateway and fill out the following information:
Name = SRoVQ
Zone = 6
IP = 74.91.121.114
4. Set to Chosen Gateway.
5. Hit the detect gateway button to see if you can connect.
6. Run Diablo 2.exe.
7. Click Battle.net and create your account. (EMAIL REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED.)
8. Have fun reaching the top of the short ladder!

Patch notes

Major Changes:
-You can teleport and use barbarian shouts in town
-Increased stash space
-Monsters in Nightmare have +3 to All Skills, monsters in Hell have +6 to All Skills.
-Cow levels have an increased ammount of cows and those cows are higher in level. Expect a much harder challenge.
-Cow level has a Waypoint (replace Inner Cloyster). You can kill the CowKing and rejoin through the Waypoint. No more worrying about the Cow getting killed
-Typing "/ann message" in chat sends a message to all the server
-Uber Cows (New dungeon with Uber cows that now drop great loot but prove a challenge)

See the links below for the rest of the changelogs:
pastebin.com/QTizfccw - v1.3.4? (current)
pastebin.com/4Gn3H0r4 - v1.3.3
pastebin.com/ZCbEJzAu - v1.3.2
pastebin.com/2VUTRtMU - v1.3.1
pastebin.com/bqeR0CfR - v1.2
pastebin.com/XwLfnSs6 - v1.1
pastebin.com/beiQC5AQ - v1.0

Some cube recipes:
Cube Recipes (the ones listed here are the ones that differ from the original, everything else is still the same):
Item + Um Rune + Pul Rune = Rare version of item - Good chance for Res/Aura mods
Um Rune + TP Scroll = 1 time use skill/stat re-spec
Item + Io + Io + Io = Upgraded tier of that item (everything is still the same, sockets, properties, runewords, etc)
1 rune in cube equals one lower ranked rune (example, 1 um = 1 pul)
Khalim's Flail + TP Scroll = Khalim's Will
You can find some more here: pastebin.com/yGYndRP3

List of useful commands - These can be used while in chat lobby or ingame:
/ann *message* - Sends a message to the whole server. Everyone will read it, unless they muted you. Don't abuse this, you might get banned.
/f add *accountname* - Adds that account to your friends list
/f list - Displays your friends list, who's online and where they are right now (game name or lobby)
/con - Lists all the players online, their account names and where they are
/games - Lists all existing active games

Is this the cube recipe hack?

see the second post

durp I missed that, thx

FWIW there are instructions for the special portal cube recipe hacks on the D2GS site.

Are they in 1.13c? That's the build I'm using.

They are assembler hacks so if you can find the addresses in a HEX editor or debugger it should be patchable for all versions.

pvpgn.pro/download/d2gs/creating_a_red_portal_with_a_cube_recipe.rtf

ps) i just figured out we can import characters from single player, or edited with Hero Editor

Well everything seems to be running the way I want it to, I'll be on later to play if anyone wants to join me. Let me know if you know about any settings that I should change.

It's like I'm really on open bnet!

kickass! I'm gonna keep working on my new VM and install instructions. i might even scope out Linode and see if i can run Xvfb + WINE on their cheapest VPS since it's pretty cheap hosting

you gonna setup pvpgn-stats on a web server?

that is some advanced shit that I don't really care about, I disabled tracking

it's purely optional and we ever do find a permanent home for some Holla Forums D2 realms it's nice to show leaderboards etc.

Well the first step is getting people to join, so far I haven't seen anyone.

Chargers are fun, but I usually go for hybrid chargers because pure chargers are just too specialized for my taste Definitely fun as fuck though.

see , Fire and Lightning resists iirc are top priority, also get some kind of Can Not Be Frozen item, and make sure you have a healthy HP pool so you're not too squishy and glass brittle.

Elemental zealots are fun. I usually go for elemental zealot conviction hybrid. Deathspade is a pretty useful for a lower character level. I think one of my elemental zealots rocked it until late act 3.

Wewuz is ready to go after Duriel. Shieeeeeeeet. Will he live?

What the fuck are you doing?

How do you do it?

I think most of us bind our skills to the F keys (function keys F1-F8)

That's what is recommended, but I just scroll through them with the mouse wheel anyway.

Patience my young padawan. Hopefully we'll run this thread out like #1, and along the way fill up the server.

When I play Paladins lately I tend to go for Smiter build purely for Ubers and DC. I've seriously never killed DC with anything other than Smiter.

We really need to figure out if there is a config file for changing items' and monster's names. I know someone here has the pic of DC renamed Ebola-chan, and Stone of Jordan renamed Jews or something kek

1-4 for belt and WASD for skill layout personally, though binding skills to num pad is not that strange.

I prefer 3x3 grid vs one horizontal row.

trips aside although that's doable in some cases, it can be too slow sometimes.

Smite is really good 1 pt boss killer. I think pretty much every paladin I ever had 1 pt in it to get through some situations and bosses.

Wewuz lives!

either normal defense merc or nightmare offense merc, for might or defiance auras respectively

you seriously want defense, even as a zealadin

also I'm OP from the last thread, I farmed up an andy's visage from mephisto and killed hell baal

my build was this:
level 89
20/20 shout iron skin whirlwind and battle orders
5 points in natural resistance and 1 in increased speed and berserk and 1 in leap attack
he dual-wielded kingslayer highland blades(max ww speed) since im not sure if id wanna play him much if at all after winning, and i had the runes anyway, but unfortunately i didnt get a guillaume's face to abuse the kingslayers with, and i also had a fortitude sacred armor
i was able to get nearly 20k defense with shouts and the defense merc, but i only hit for >800-2000 with each weapon
if id ever bother to hit level 99, id skip out on some stuff to max out one weapon skill too, probably axes in such a case(if i got the runes for griefs by then)

but then my merc died on the cow level after i attracted too many cows, though i just ran away since the cow king aggroed and i didnt wanna kill it
i thought i didnt get too close to the corral

now im playing a bowazon
getting a unique ballistawhich dropped on my barb, but singleplayer as a bowazon just makes the game ezmode after you up it with he cube recipe
only possible upgrade from there is a runeword oath, if thatd even be an upgrade

main skills will be:
20 multishot
20 critical strike
20 penetrate
20 guided arrow
20 valkyrie or decoy

and ill be running a might aura merc when i get there, and till then, blessed aim merc

with the unique ballista, I get 100% pierce chance anyway

also
enjoy the wasted stash space

/blogpost

these are the only changes I'd want

and something to detect bots and prevent maphacking too

pvp can stay unbalanced

for call to arms i meant is barbarian only

… What?

Anyone mind recommending me some mods? I've heard Median XL and Path of Diablo are good.

I get what you're trying to do but you should make a more complete rebalance mod yourself rather than hitting certain builds you don't like. If it doesn't play like shit after it's done I might try it out for the extra challenge.

#CLAWSUPDONTSHOOT
DURIEL DINDU NUFFIN
POH-LADIN BRUTALITY
#LUTGHOLEINJUSTICE

copy/pasted from arreat summit:

1 Lum Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Exceptional Unique Weapon = Elite Version of Weapon (Single Player, Ladder Only)
This formula changes the base item type from the exceptional to elite version. For example a Cleaver is turned into a Small Crescent. This does NOT convert the item to the Elite Unique version of the Exceptional Unique Item. Unique item bonuses remain the same; only the item it's based on is upgraded. This can be used to upgrade Ethereal Items also. They will continue to be Ethereal after they are upgraded. Also if the item is socketed, then jewels or runes and their mods will also remain.

so this would work on single player and on ladder, and im using a ladder mod to allow ladder stuff on single player anyway

Breath of the Dying just means he used duped items. He didn't beat finish shit.

That's the recipe that will carry you through Hell as a weapon based build unless you get extremely lucky with a very, very good drop.

Skeleton summoning Necromancers can complete hell with next to garbage

You still need some beastly resistances and you'll still need to spend hours and hours shopping for a good wand. But Summoner based Necro is one of the easiest classes to get through Hell with. Cold Sorcs and Blessed Hammer Paladins are up there too, but still in a completely different tier than Necros. Barbs are by far the worst class to try to go through Hell untwinked with. Even just finishing the second half of A5 Normal is a PITA if you don't luck out with a great weapon.

/r/ing more goons to join

still working on finalizing my how-to. i looked through all those patches you put in, and i honestly don't think i can play.

if we end up with a few dozen players as our base and we can't buff the party with CTA it's going to be fucking excruciating doing Baal runs

it really doesn't user
It took him two dozen tries to get past diablo in hell
The Breath of the dying was his first Rune Word and they're not particularly hard to get
Fam9ine on the other hand is a lot harder
Really getting rune words is easy, Just do countess runs over and over, hell some nightmare bosses drop some of the ones you really need

Do you guys think Lost Ark will be good or will it be shit? It looks good but i am scared they will fuck it up some way like with Archeage (i fear that it will be p2w)

Fuck what i meant to say was that he already had a massive surplus of high ended runes, it was the less high ended ones for famine that he needed

That's bullshit and here's why. It's not impossible to cube up to Zod but it's not LEL IS SO EASY THO tier. An organized group can do it, however the guy you're describing sounds like he was just using duped gear and have no real clue how to play the game as is, without the aid of dupes.
Again, bullshit and here's why that's fucking bullshit. Doing countess runs is one thing, or doing an organized forge run. Sporting dual BOTD though? Assembling one legit BOTD is not easy, dual wielding two? Nigger please, can he get anymore obvious.
Do you need him to sport a fuckhueg flashing billboard that says I USE DUPES? Jesus fuck it's like Diablo1 all over again with people claiming Godly Plate Of Whale in Full Plate Mail really does exists, it's true because my dad works at blizzard.

You know, lad, you really should have told me "fuck off, shill" before the last thread started autosageing.

You're fucking clueless. The amount of hours it'd take to farm a SINGLE Zod rune through Hell Forge runs is probably over 1 thousand. That's with 7 other players running with you. That's over 2 months of playing 16 hours a day with 7 other players to get a SINGLE Zod rune.

Having "a stash" of high level runes just means that your "friend" is a cheater/duper or that he trades with cheaters/dupers.

Rune words were a mistake that just allowed cheaters to prosper.

He was playing before he even knew rune words were a thing
Its why he had around 3 or 4 zod runes and barely anything else
They weren't even useful that all until patch 1.10, which is why they sat in the chest

He made them with horadric cube, which does take some time but your stated figure of two months is retarded
I ended up getting a zod rune in one fucking day from doing multiple hellforge runs
It would only take maybe a few weeks to get enough runes fro a zod single player, maybe 16 hours per day
I dont think he ever found an actual zod runes unless it was from forge quest

This figure is bullshit
But I'll be honest
He was playing for 4 years
Not 24 hours a day, maybe only averaging 4 hours a day, but single player for 4 years
He hates online gaming with good reason
In australia the internet speed is abyssal, games are over priced and the LAN parties only ever happen every few months
Also He was a fair dinkum bloke and he would never lie anons

Zod Rune
fucking hell, i'll be honest i have no idea what drops a zod rune only that you can make them

Hell Forge drops Hel-Gul, 1/11 chance per drop. Average of #20 rune per character. 7 characters. 1 hour to rush up to Hell Forge. The two month figure is pretty damn spot on.

1 hour to rush up to Hell Forge
Is this a joke?
I was doing speed runs online within less than 15 minutes

Anything can, pretty much, but the treasure class for zod has like 1/400 chance of it being zod, otherwise it immediately downgrades and the prpcess repeats. I can post the exact drop tables later, of youreally want. But bosses, champions, even chests can

The wiki is tolling me that its a 1 in ~5000 drop from anything 81+
Considering hes was level 90 at the time its possible that he actually acquired a dropped rune, but tbh it would seem easier to farm runes and build one

Without map hacking? On fresh characters that don't have cubes?

dunno user, I just joined one of the groups that constantly did them online,
Personally I've seen people do it in 5 minutes, but they all had enigma and rushed there

I fail to see how you could take a fresh lvl 1 character starting in the Rogue Camp and rush it through Normal A1 up to Hell A4 in 5-15 minutes. Even with map hacking. Without map hacking you'd be spending a LOT of time finding exits and entrances for Durance of Hate and Catacombs alone.

Also i should probably mention
Although i never saw him dupe anything
He made a backup of saves of his characters
Every time he died on a run he would immediately load the character he had before
He was the diablo equivalent of a save scummer

My english is dying because its 4:50 in the morning and i've got exams after the weekend

Once you've gone through the game with multiple characters and done dozens if not hundreds of runs, You'll be able to immediately tell where you are when you enter the dungeon and go straight to the entrance
Its not like its randomly generated, theres like 4 maps that swap out with each other

Wait is map hacking where the entrances just fucking take you to the places you need to go?
Isnt that kind of a waste?
I mean with a full group, someones bound to have enigma or be a sorceress
Just send them through,and wait for them to portal at the boss
Its collecting body parts and the fucking hordric staff that would take the most time

also maggot lair a shit

Huh no. D2 uses building blocks as sections for its maps. While you can get used to how the building blocks operate on a map and how to navigate them efficiently, you'll still end up going the wrong way or with dead ends no matter how experienced you are and no matter how good you are at pattern recognition.

In other words: an experienced player will navigate between maps far faster and efficiently than an inexperienced player, but they'll still get lost no matter how good they are because that's how the game is designed. This is especially true for Durance of Hate which was drastically increased in size in one of the later patches, making it far harder to recognize where you had to go quickly. Same applies for the Countess' tower.

I have something like 15,000 hours on D2. Most people I used to play with assumed I was map hacking based on how I was able to beeline to the next map. But sometimes you just run into a dead end and you have to backtrack. It's what keeps D2 fresh after 15+ years compared to D3 having gone stale in less than a week after its initial release.

AFAIK map hacks just reveal the entire map so you can just beeline for the exit once you see it on the overlay. But yes, if you're trying to rush efficiently, it'll be by Teleporting.

The enigma ruined Diablo in some aspects, but ruined it in the way it was meant to be ruined

Have you tried Grim Dawn yet user?
its the closest i can think of being a diablo clone
Still it doesn't have that OP end game feeling and the builds are a bit lackluster
You can only have a dozen summons
You can build to be the strongest but you cant build to be above that, know what i mean?

I downloaded it, I'll get around to play it eventually if my toaster can actually run it.

Its running on the same engine as titan quest, so it should run on some toasters
Still i recommend you pirate before you play, like you should with all games, but you'll probably end up buying it in the end

Fuck that reminds me
I used to play alot of LAN parties, but at one point i ended up getting over 50% cold absorb on my gear in D2
Now that wouldn't really matter so much being that there is a cap limit on absorb, but at one point i was pvp vs a Ice sorceress and the game bugged in that aspect
I ended up with over 50% cold absorb, which made me heal from his attacks
It was fucking hilarious, considering my assassin at the time wasnt any particular build, specced mainly in burst of speed with a shadow master, i also randomly found out that the asassin master can cast equipped items at that time which was why i ended up with some ok items with fucking great abilities that i found over the place
i still got killed by the druid with a hurricane and enigma
i fucking hate hurricane druids, only thing that can kill them is ranged characters or melee ones that attack absurdly fast with life steal
tbh tornado Armour literally raped sorceresses

Good to hear.

D2 PvP was always pretty bad from my perspective. All gear/build, no skill. If my enemies don't understand that I crushed them because I'm a better player than them, then what's the point?

Shadow master
Probably one of my favourite summons in the game, just below necromancer
Although i hear the shadow warrior is good because it will use the skills you have equipped, personally i just liked mt assassin literally spamming attraction and frost nova on the enemies, made a pretty fucking great crowd control

FotH Pallies were by far the closest thing in any game a character can come to that
tbh if they got rid of that absorb cap, it would really ruin them, which would be great because fuck classes built solely for 1vs1 pvp with instant kill abilities

Checked the ladder and so far I've had maybe one person join.

Where does it say that?

This is probably a stupid question but what is wrong with just going on bnet and playing in password-protected games? I am a dumb nigger.

Lag, desynch, spam bots, your character becomes non-ladder eventually which denies you access to very important recipes, awful and unreliable stashing and muling.

Advantages to single player are fixed maps, /players x command (which I don't think is available in multiplayer? haven't played online in over a decade), can be played with third world internet, infinite and organized stashing, easy twinking and no restrictions like number of games you can create for fast farming and having to keep your characters alive by logging in periodically.

Shhet. Kurast was straight paradise afore whitey ruined it. Namasayin?

You are now aware the Kurast is Florida before the Cuban exodus.

Aussie user I…-.bmp
He might think he is a fair dinkum bloke, and in other things maybe he is. But think about it, the more you recite his story and claims the more things starts to not make sense. And I guess it should have been mentioned previously because it would have cleared up a lot of things. It sounds like your friend was playing on Open\SP. Open\SP can be useful because it can be used as a test realm or testing lab so to speak. But it's not exactly what people use as a standard for finishing the game, unaided by dupes.

Sheeeeit, florida you the craziest cray cray state yo.

Post-synergy Necromancer has insanely durable skeletal warriors; if you're careful you can complete Hell mode naked. Though it's a lot easier if you do equip your merc.

If you actually use equipment on a summon necromancer you have no excuse for ever dying except maybe against Uber Mephisto.

durr, SP can be used for playing the game strictly vanilla of course, but if your aussie friend was using save scumming in SP, that's not exactly considered vanilla gameplay.

tbh I never play singleplayer because I once edited a character and now the whole thing feels meaningless since I know I can get any item any time. So I only play on closed bnet or private servers, where I can be excited when something good drops.

RIP Holla Forumsnet

Lightning towers in A2, gloams, teleporting mobs and the random projectile that gets through will probably kill you if you have -50 resist. Not saying it can't be done, but resistances are a huge help.

I have the discipline of a monk, so that's not something I take into account.

They killed Wewuz!
He wasn't even doin' nuffin. He was just passing through the Flayer Jungle to buy some skittles and they jumped him!

RIP

He will be avenged. I'll probably make a new hardcore character tonight.

oh nm i misunderstood that other user was saying what he wanted

Join the new server please.

see

Even if I have the game, do I need to install this torrent to play on the server?

Sheeeeit nigga you were out at night in the fucking jungle trying to make purple drank didn't you, I know you had 3 reds, 3 blues and some skittles gems to mix up some sizzurp, don't act like you were just innocently taking a stroll outside in the rain at night.

F

No you can skip that step and just download the modded patch_d2.mpq

How does this patch work? Can I still choose to play in vanilla? I'd rather not tweak the game now before I've beaten it in nightmare and hell in single player.

He was a gud boi! Damn you Zimmerman!

WE GOTTA STOP THIS BLACK ON BLACK CRIMES

Better video

Just make a backup of your vanilla patch and reapply it if you want to play vanilla again. It's fairly unobtrusive.

noice

hey fags, is Median XL any good? im downloading it

its not awful, I'm 90% sure they got rid of the dragon futa demon paladin so that good, i guess?
If you've finally got bored of diablo 2 its worth a shot

But just remember; It was one of the mods that really inspired the diablo 3 game developers, so expect lots of colours

Pit Dragon Pally morph still exists, it's just an uberskill now instead of a part of the main tree. The really funny thing is that it still doesn't work without a dragon skill enabler, so if you're playing holy melee you get Resurrect or nothing. Although it hardly matters because only fucking idiots play Retaliatedin anyway

look up items that give you loads of summon health, damage, and resistance

Every time I do this I tell myself I'm never doing that dumb shit again, I'll just pass the charm around if a character wants it. And then I end up doing it with every character anyway. Autism is dangerous to human health. Now I need the bonus trophy.

And its only purpose is to make Holydin a bad imitation of Unholydin. I don't even know what Holydins are supposed to do in Ultimative, since it looks like you're supposed to mix trees, except one of them's weapon damage and rewards STR investment, and the other one's spell damage but has a passive that gives you leech and AR but only while Flare is active? What the fuck?

my friend was a hurricane druid and i was a bone necro
kicked his ass until he got enigma

going to let this thread 404 so I can make a new one with the updated server information in the OP

Bump

Naw, threads don't work like that. You wait until the bump limit or the new one gets killed

I'll make sure of it

Wat. This is a thing the mods does, right? Never played the original, modded or no.

Faggot.

pretty rude, that means the server will remain dead for 1-3 more days for no reason

i'm almost done with the v1 guide, and i'l post a .png along with a pastebin link. i suck at shoops so pls no bully

sorry for the late posting, but i completely fucked up the image i was trying to embed the text into. anyway here's v1:

pastebin.com/QyJNxuSM

Diablo 2 private server installation guide v1 -by 8/v/ doom2/diablo2 anonlast upated: 10/1/2016pre-requirements:-32bit linux (or Windows with 32bit compatibility)-Diablo 2 / LoD assets (ie, the installed MPQs, DLLs, EXEs, INIs)-WINE (with patched sock.c)-SQL server (mysql/mariadb/postgres)-PvPGN source (or Windows appropriate binaries)-D2GS Windows binaries-general linux ability (eg, navigate, edit, compile)current system / file information used for this guide:-Slackware 14.2 (32bit) available from:mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-iso/slackware-14.2-iso/-Diablo 2 / Lord of Destruction available from:**non/scurv/ link for people with legit CD install problemsbattle.net/account/management/download/-WINE 1.8.3 with build script from:slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/wine/-WINE sock.c patch from:bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=8866&action=diff-PvPGN v.1.99.7.1-PRO available from:github.com/pvpgn/pvpgn-server-D2GS 1.13d-build01 available from:pvpgn.pro/download/d2gsStep 1) untar/bzip WINE, and manually apply patch to wine/server/sock.c:Step 2) tar/bzip WINE, move it to its SlackBuilds directory, and run the build scriptStep 3) install the WINE slackbuild package found in /tmp/Step 4) untar/gzip pvpgn, make the build directory, and edit the cmake config tobuild WITH_MYSQL.Step 5) cmake, make, then make install pvpgnStep 6) edit the following bnetd.conf settings appropriately:storage_path = "sql:mode=mysql;host=hostname;name=user;pass=pass;default=0;prefix=pvpgn_"track = 0servername = "diablo 2"Step 7) add a realm to path/etc/pvpgn/realm.conf using the ip for d2cs:"Name" "d2 server for anons" d2cs_IP:6113Step 8) edit the following path/etc/pvpgn/d2cs.conf settings appropriately:realmname = Nameservaddrs = yourip:6113gameservlist = youripbnetdaddr = yourip:6112motd = “optional info”Step 9) edit the following path/etc/pvpgn/d2dbs.conf settings appropriately:servaddres = yourip:6114gameservlist = youripStep 10) unrar D2GS binaries to the same directory as your Diablo 2 assetsStep 11) run wine regedit, import d2gs.reg, and edit the following keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/D2Server/D2GS:D2CSIP = youripD2DBSIP = youripEnableGSLog = 0 (optional, D2GS makes big logz)EnableNTMode = 0 (optional, runs D2GS.exe as Windows service)MaxGames = 100 (*defaults to 1 so remember to change this!)MOTD = “optional info”Step 12) create SQL database name and grant privileges to user from Step 6 aboveStep 13) start the four daemons in order, verifying the logs as you start:*in Windows you may need to allow firewall access per app on first run.**the linux user running bnetd/d2cs/d2dbs needs r/w permissions to the**path/etc/pvpgn and path/var/pvpgn directories.a) bnetd**the very first time you start bnetd it will create the tables in the dbb) d2csc) d2dbsd) wine D2GS.exeStep 14) run the bnet gateway editor on diablo 2 clients and set the server IPStep 666) run diablo 2 on a client and join the modified gateway to kill Diablo

eh shit i see some minor mistakes i need to correct for the final image

update 1:
pastebin.com/B8j2EvH8

can someone give these a try?

update 2:
pastebin.com/njkX22gb