Drain

Why the fuck is the attack named "Drain"?
It's a fucking fireball

There's a line for complaining about magic spell names, and you're not cutting to the front.

There's at least some logic to DQ's spells

Jajizzle

Is this video game related to Bettle.net?

I'll grant you there's a certain logic to the rooster, but why the fuck would you do that over Wake-Up or Awaken? Why would you go with something retarded like COCK?

Kerplunk is the sound effect of a turd hitting the water in a toilet. Also you're stretching for that anti-confusion angle.

Squelch removes poison (implied to force the poison out of the veins, thus the "squelch" noise)

Cock-a-doodle-doo removes sleep

Kerplunk kills yourself and fully restores all other party members, I think it also restores all MP of the party, while zeroing out the casters HP and MP. (you go kerplunk, the rest don't.)

There's also a spell called Kamikazee (extra e) that kills you and instantly kills all enemies and barring that does a shitload of damage, useful as a last ditch attack.

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with the spell names. It gives the series past 3 a more comical tone, that said, serious names are fine as well.

A herbal poultice to draw the venom out of wounds would probably be moist and squishy

Also note that the stranger the name of the spell, the rarer it actually is.

Cock-a-doodle doo got replaced by Tingle (cures paralysis and sleep, the sensation of the spell waking people up, while restoring nerves which causes that tingling feeling when your foot falls asleep or some shit)

Mega Glove is the best weapon in the game because of how satisfying it is.

(More generally, BIG FIST is the best attack in any game.)

not every game can be SMT guys

Also when it comes to spell names, I prefer the more oddball ones from D&D

Weird (SPOOKY GHOOOOOSTS SCAAAARE YOU AND IF YOUR THE SCARED YOU DIE)

Probably named such because the caster did a thing and a guy died and he doesn't know why, so it's Weird.

Or some shit like that.

I thought that image showing the new names was a fucking joke, it's actually real?
Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Squelch is more the sound effect of walking through mud imo tbh smh fam. Isn't it also what you call drinking semen out of an anus cavity?

That's just plain retarded. Healicide would be better and more indicative.

ONE
N
E
JOB
O
B

Spells in Japanese DQ are named after onomatopoeias from what I understand, so It's not a localization thing.

A martyr is someone who dies for a belief, not to save others.

Get on my level scub

IT GETS ME EVERY TIME

beliving in others to get you out of this situation is still belief.

Why not use more logical spell names such as maragi, mabufu, or rakukaja?

Jesus didn't die to heal anyone. He just healed himself and then flew to the moon like a balloon out of air.

Like I said to your little sister, stop stretching so far, you'll prolapse.

undead get off my board

o-okay…

Never.

WHERE ARE THE FLESHY WOMEN AT?

Other than the fact that they're retarded, usually make no sense, and are shitty joke names made up by the localization team because they're cancerous faggots?

Holy fuck. I understand why they're called like that, but that's fucking hilarious and retarded.

Martial Classes (and Paladins) the best
All other classes a shit

Come on that's just one of the classical mistakes for Turn Undead uses
Here's other mistakes people make for you

>Thinking it turns undead on :^)
The list goes fucking on
What if turn undead wasn't named Turn Undead though, what would it be? Exorcism? That's for demons though.

Repel Undead?

It drains your hp, duh.

It works but I'm feeling like a ass so consider this
Some games have a undead debuff that makes people get hurt by healing
Now what?

You forgot Turn Undead.

I listed "Turns undead on" up there
Twice.

nigga that's gay

so long gay bowser

I don't really see the problem.
Turn Undead doesn't imply anything about healing/damage. It just makes them run away for a little while.
Depending on the debuff/game, Turn/Repel Undead on someone debuffed could work or not, depends on whether they're considered actual undead or just have some of the aspects of them.
Maybe I'm not quite understanding what you're asking, though.

Why ever bother with Turn Undead when you have Elbereth..?

I dunno about you but being turned on doesn't make most people turn in to a fag. Turn Undead Gay is what you needed, otherwise the default assumption will be heterosexual corpses.

moar?

Mind if i join in?

that gif is hilarious, I want to see more so I can have a good laugh.

You palacucks always crack me up.

There is literally nothing wrong with loving your shota

So how long until this thread derails in /tg/ shitposting?

the power creep is strong in the Phantasy Star series

Wizard autists pls go

Don't wizards live like thousands of years?

Doesn't this mean that pretty much fucking everything would make you a pedophile by moral standards?

Lance is that you?

Who are you quoting?

only bad times ahead kiddo

This is one of the lamest threads I have ever seen. It takes some really special snowflake to cry about something so insignificant.

heh heh ironic humor is the best humor. you are funny

if a wizard fucks anything he stops being a wizard

I give it a C-

Is Mario RPG Armaggedon good?

Paladins are just the drop outs who managed to fail both the Knight and Cleric exam

I prefer the PS1 name for spells, thank you very much. At least the numbers represent the levels.

As a general rule, the only people obsessive enough to make ROMhacks are the same kind of people who are obsessive enough about the game itself to have reached the point where they have lost sight of what normal players enjoy difficulty-wise.

Is that Harry Potter: Ghetto Edition?

"Auras are all very well in their way, but they are no match for a good Bowazon build and a Hellrack."

I liked the one's that had names on them.
Leomund's Secure Shelter
It makes me wonder who Leomund was, maybe I could make a wizard who's a descendant of him and knows all the spells, but eager to add his own to the books of Wizards everywhere
It's a nice bit of fluff

Because it's supposed to be a Mario representation of a Final Fantasy ability, I assume.

Fuck why not just fire1-4, ice1-4, dark1-4, wind1-4 etc so people can focus on the game

The original casters from D&D, like Mordenkainen, Bigby, Leomund and others, were characters from the original D&D setting, Greyhawk. You can read about them online.

Now, I think the epitome of Wizardness is being able to create your own spells. Something along the lines of "Urist's Eternal Tantrum".

Mordenkainen was a magic-user played by Gygax who made it to the 18th level. This was an impressive thing for the Greyhawk campaign, where dying and re-rolling was an expected daily occurrence. This is why Mordenkainen is superior to that faggot Elminster, who was just given shit by his writer.

Rary was a magic-user created so his player could introduce him as "Medium Rary". The name was used for higher level spell names, but the character never made it past like the 3rd level.

Bigby was a henchman of Mordenkainen who he bullied out of evil into neutrality. Rigby and the others were his other henchmen, who all had to have that naming pattern by DM rules.

The names all have stories like that. Once Gygax was out of the company, TSR did all sorts of weird shit with the names, like making Rary, Tenser, and the like into actual characters in the campaign setting who were all super high level. The Circle of Eight, they were called. They were based on the original group of actual PCs, of course, but with some pretty severe power boosts and changes to characters, along with story.

I'd like a spell called user's Embrace of Ecstasy if I was a magic-user.

only if youre a noob

I dig it

Spell book of Cosby

I think one of the DS Crystal Chronicles games had Ultiga come up. Can't remember what combination of spells was required to make it happen, but it's a thing.

Big fists in general tend to be pretty great.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, double Lapiste all day erry day. Immune to rock and taking 1 damage? Fuck you, I can just punch you more.

Remove Undeath? Send to Afterlife? Unbind Undead? Deaden?

Heal.

That's always a welcome mechanic, makes a white mage more than a healer/buffer

HOW IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MAKE SENSE

It's called "Ultima" for a reason dork

Cock a doodle doo is the sound roosters make.
Roosters are the memetic farm alarm clock.
Come on user, a 5 year old would make the connection on the spot.

Execrate Undead.

Wouldn't Consecrate Undead work better?

You're not usually sanctifying undead. I imagine that's what healing spells, or spells like Harm/Dia from Final Fantasy 1 is doing. Execration is like a curse; you're basically cursing the undead, forcing it to keep as far away from you as possible.

Fair enough, I was considering that maybe chanelling holy power into the Undead to destroy them would count as Consecration, but that's high level Turn Undead. And that cursing them would make them more powerful, thus counting as Rebuking them

Moreover, evil priests are also able to use an ability similar to Turn Undead; instead they Rebuke Undead.
Consecration doesn't work for an evil priest, but desecrate also doesn't describe what the evil priest is actually doing - but execration still works perfectly.

Seems a virtue, not a flaw.

user, why would anyone want to fight the Good Guys?
Even if they are autistic, mechanical, tasteless spergs with no sense of refinement or class.

I still hate frenchies because of MH4U.

JE SUIS MONTÉ

pardon

Usually in close succession, yes.
Oh and make sure not to stop attacking once I've mounted the monster, wouldn't wanna actually topple it now would I :^)

The insect glaive is a meme weapon anyway.
I'm a lance/gunlance guy.

*Tips 1911 service pistol*

For those unaware, I'll do a few categories from memory.

Heal - Healmore - Healmost - HealAll - HealUs - HealUsAll - Vivify - Revive - Antidote - NumbOff (recovers paralysis or sleep) - NumbOff - LifeDance

Fireair - BlazeAir - Scorching - WhiteFire
Blaze - Blazemore - Blazemost

Bang - Boom - Explodet - Bigbang

Bolt - Zap - Thordain