Brainfuck Moments in Vidya

One thing most (especially horror) games fail to utilize are chances to fuck with the player's mind in one way or another. Take the insanity effects in Eternal Darkness or Amnesia. Or that one infinitely looping tunnel passage in Stalker:COP. Or even just the unending stairs in Super Mario 64.

Are the any other good mindfuck moments? Especially one outside of horror games?

Fran Bow was great but there's this huge chunk in the middle of it entirely devoted to exploring a world of plant people and using time travel as the main mechanic.
Plus all those little sections with alternate gameplay (that you can skip, thankfully).

I mean i understand they wanted to break up the overall theme and prevent player fatigue from the entire game just being American McGee Alice: the point and click, but maybe those part could've been executed a little better.

Like imagine you play a monkey island game and in the middle of it there's a cyberpunk noire detective story and then it goes back to monkey island.
It's kinda cool, but at the same time it's not the plot and setting you set out for when you started playing.

You should play the Penumbra games. They were made by the same team that made Amnesia, and are more proper games since death doesn't just respawn you, you have to load your last save.The second one has the good mindfuck stuff though there's really no reason to not play them all.

Anticube 2

I've never liked these surreal games, I'd appreciate them if they had a little background or story. Not pretentious garbage, just something simple to explain the setting

It's just some guy's map for a weird freetard game engine, not a full game.

Fran survived in the end… r-right? she was taken by an ambulance in her delirious state and she was saved by the cops.

Anti-chamber.
But the novelty gets old, but the game doesn't actually last long enough for the novelty to get old.

My favorite part was in the beginning where you are asked to go down the blue stairs or up the red stairs, and each time you do you end up in the same room with the blue or red stairs. The only way forward is to go back the way you came which takes you somewhere completely different from where you came from.

Yes

The hospital elevator in Silent Hill 1, such a simple and underrated moment IMO.

You enter an elevator with 3 floors, you search the floors one by one which don't have anything useful, and when you come back disappointed and thinking where you'll go next, the button for a 4th floor appears

Seconding Penumbra. Fantastic soundtrack, atmospheric horror, and the storyline evolves throughout the games so you definitely won't figure out everything about it at the beginning of the first. They try a lot of different horror themes, then tie them all together pretty nicely. The puzzles are fun, too.

Oh, that's a japanese thing.
Tetraphobia.

It's because in their language "four" sounds like "death".
So they don't count the fourth floor, they think it's bad luck.

Basically in SH you're going into "death" in that instance, that's why it appears, it's to add a sense of dread for the original, asian audience.

Interesting. Thanks, user.

Americans have the greatest culture

No nineteenth story in schools either

I thought this was a Chinese thing.

iirc japan took a chunk of china's alphabet at some point in history

I thought the Japanese language just branched off of Chinese.

i dont know i'm not deep enough in japan history

I study Japanese and I can certainly confirm that it exists in Japan, both four and death are pronounced "shi" (し)

A quick jewgle translate shows that it is somewhat consistent in Chinese (pronounced "soo") but the way they are said is very different. Four sounds upbeat and death (dead) sounds dry and drawn out. In Chinese the way you say a word changes its definition dramatically which is why the language is infamous for its huge amount of tongue twisters and puns. Listen to embed related for an example of a poem that consists entirely of "shu" but the context and the way it is spoken each time makes it into a bunch of different words.

This is correct, but dont forget that it also applies to 7 to a lesser extent. They actually have alternate words for both four and seven because of this; four "shi" is replaced with "yon", and seven "shichi" is replaced with "nana".

That section was very charming and had some very clever puzzles. It really made me take the rest of the world more seriously.

It was fun for a while, but it got really obnoxious with the super-fiddly controls and inability to save in the middle of a puzzle. Like, I'm playing it to challenge my mind, not my ability to draw a perfectly straight line for five minutes or whatever.

They're not alternate words, rather different readings for the same word according to the chinese (on yomi) and japanese (kun yomi) reading.

That's what I meant, sorry.

That's pretty cool

Well i didn't say it wasn't good, just that it was kinda thematically different from the main game.
I do agree that it has some really challenging puzzles.

TBH I prefer them without story.

She's in a better place now

Americans pull the exact same shit, tons of buildings for companies and hotels don't have a 13th floor due to superstition, since it's generally regarded as an unlucky and 'dangerous' floor

What was that puzzle game of the girl with bunny ears trying to keep her sanity and slipping into yandere territory with glowing red eyes if you fail?

It has that ending where when you play windowed, she walks in from the side of the monitor and into the game.

Irisu Syndrome.