CRT

CRT

Pretty much impossible to get a good CRT because nobody will post them, everything on ebay is collection only. Are there enthusiast places to buy them that will dare to post. Also post guides for options. I'm more interested in computer monitor CRT because high resolution + refresh rate, don't see how I could get use out of a TV only if a PC monitor will do consoles as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/122032244163/
geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65
gbatemp.net/categories/nintendo-wii-discussions.104/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

CRT sucks. Threw mine in the trash where it belongs.

You're not good enough to even approach making a difference.

Check dumpsters. That's where I got mine. $0. Also check businesses that are replacing their CRTs with LCDs, they'll give them away to you because they're heavy and a pain in the ass to throw away.

Why do you want to use a shitty, old, obsolete screen?

wew

What a hipster faggot

4:3 is the superior resolution.

Per >>10823428's filename, Ikegami is a bretty gud brand to buy. Personally, I'm partial towards Panasonic.

Old CRTs aren't hard to find for (relatively) cheap on eBay. Just don't post about them on Holla Forums or you'll get called a nostalgiafag.

Also, I managed to get pic related for 20 bucks. It's bretty gud, even if I can't get to the secret color menu (because I need some OS9/X bullshit).
But I can do all through the video card's config.

I'd love to visit where you live. Which, I assume, is ten to fifteen years in the past.

I see decent condition Sony Trinitron, WEGA, and Bravia CRTs for anywhere from $200-$400 between 32"-36" on Craigslist constantly.

I would rather have someone fix the vertical/horizontal adjusts in my otherwise great condition 32" Trinitron, but I have been eyeballing a slightly younger 36" Bravia every now and again.

Also you can have a Chinese factory make a batch of a few hundred CRTs for about $15-$40/pc depending on the size… alibaba.com still exists

i got a really fucking nice CRT for free that could do [email protected]/* */ Got rid of it after about 8 years when that sweet 144hz came around.

CRT haters are fucking gay. If you don't have a 144hz monitor or CRT and you play games on your PC, you are either a scrub or you're a fucking retard who plays gookclicks, assfaggots, and/or MMOs. The increased refresh rate isn't even strictly about performance – I'd say it's more about having a superior experience playing the game. After 120hz, 60hz looks like fucking shit. And you're a luddite faggot or have never even experienced refresh rates higher than 60 if you pretend it doesn't matter.

One year ago: Gym replaced all their CRT TVs.
Couple months ago: Someone threw out a Trinitron CRT monitor.

I'm not even trying to look for them. I take out the trash and there's a new CRT every so often, but most of them are shitty so I don't bother doing anything with it. I live near poorer people, so they probably hold on to these things for longer until eventually replacing it.

I disagree. They just suck for what you want to use them for, meaning modern games.

God tier CRT

Sony GDM-FW900 Flat Widescreen 24" FD Trinitron CRT Monitor

22.5-inch viewable screen
2,304 x 1,440 maximum resolution
0.27-millimeter dot pitch
PC and Macintosh compatible
Virtually flat viewing surface

What's above God Tier?

Ah, nevermind. After a quick search I found out the GDM-FW900 & the VM-D24E1WU use the same tube.

Still think it should be added to that list though.

Elder god tier and now im jelaous.

I would also argue some wells fargo CRTs are top of the line, but those were really only used in Arcade Cabinets.

A hipster would throw a CRT in the trash while pretending they recycle, and then buy a Mac.

Old games looks like shit scaled and stretched up on modern screens. It's not just an LCD in a big box, it has a completely different look.

I recycled mine
it's the principle

CRTs suck

you like them because just like your dick they aren't straight

He who resorts to accusations of homosexuality is closeted and has an IQ below that of room temperature.

If you play video games or are a digital artist worth a shit, you cannot dismiss the value of a good CRT, especially one with minimal hours of use on it.

stopped reading right there

I heard a couple quake pros used to use japanese iiyama crt's but nobody else really uses them anymore

Nothin' beats playing classic Vidya on a flat, widescreen LCD in a stretched 16:9 format!

Flatscreen CRTs are a thing, probably since before you were born.

don't you love screen tearing and ghosting? Oh man so many great things about LCD technology! So much to love.

I added a few new displays to my collection. Didn't check the service menu on the Ikegami but it's buzzing so it's probably seen a lot of use. The picture however is astonishingly good.

Grrrrr! I just found one for sale for a reasonable price. Pickup only, on the other side of the country.

Fuck off CRT

I hate this. All too often I've had displays I'd love to own pass by because they're pick up only. I honestly want to message the person and tell them I will give them the money for shipping, and order the box for you to ship it in. It is not a problem!

They still make them nigger, buy a new one.
No shit, you want the best picture possible don't you?

what

Macs used proprietary connectors for everything.

Aha, I've found you motherfuckers. I know what you're doing for the Hillary Clinton campaign. Stay the fuck off Holla Forums, I don't care what they're paying you. Or else.

I know the suffering, Hitler. I drove 300 miles or so to pick up a near mint Pentium system, with CRT, mouse, keyboard, and speakers, but so much stuff is well over 1500 miles away, though, like cheap trucks in Arizona that only need the AC recharged, piles of old computer parts in need of a loving home in California, and other such stuff.

Was it worth it? That's quite a distance.

ikegami has no service menu, it's a bit more "ghetto" than the sony stuff but it has the goods where it counts. Pic related is mine

holy shit you are out of touch with reality. people on this board are generally pretty retarded but there's no way anyone actually believes that

Well, I don't regret having made the drive. I have a 486 that seems to perform better, despite being a lesser grade of processor, is 6MHz faster, and has a shitload more RAM. Without being able to add a new video card to the system due to its DALLAS chip fucking off (can be fixed with a mod, but it's a lot of work), my plans for it are shelved. A long drive through the country is never a bother to me. Very relaxing to see new places along major rivers, and head home as the sun sets.

I think what I really need to do is set aside a corner to make a classic office in my basement, with a dehumidifier, wood paneling, shag carpet, and overhead shelving, with a Fisher stereo playing some Devo or something. Then I could get off my ass and fix that Dallas chip, and see if it's worth upgrading to the back teeth.

And there is no way you have ever worked for a living using Photoshop, GIMP, or some other digital painting suite.

I'd like to meet someone that uses GIMP to make a living but I'm afraid they might crumple under the social contact

Someone needs to start producing SED monitors so I can invest my life savings into them.

More like Krita

Well krita would actually be good for making art. I use it for stuff that gimp would usually be used for on linux, nothing makes sense in gimp

People will laugh, but it's true. The true aspect ratio is closer to 4:3 than anything else. It also creates awkwardly-shaped devices.

We used to have a huge CRT. Finally got rid of it some years ago when the thing finally fried and the repairman gave up fixing it.

I feel like 4:3 honestly gives a better sense of space, and that it allows for better image compositions. Wide is kind of a meme that was used to sell people new displays and it was successful. Even on PCs a lot of the width is basically just wasted by the nature of how people tend to prefer viewing information and staring in one particular place for extended periods.

I'm glad I'm not crazy, I would always explain to my friends why I kept a 4:3 display up until 2011. It was simply "I want to minimize moving my head and eyes as much as possible, with my old monitor I could see the whole screen without moving".

It's real silly now more than ever too that widescreens are dominating when everything is still made vertically ignoring the width anyway, before widescreen it was like this, when widescreen happened it never changed, and now it's even more likely to remain this way with the popularity of vertical phone displays. The only thing widescreen has a case for seems to be movies.

There's a jerkcity for every occasion.

When's the last time you degaussed, barring any automatic processes?

I got a CRT. No idea if it really is that much better. I like it. I only use it for shit like Holla Forums, as it feels softer on my eyes.

Why won't this meme die?

Because they work, they rival 100$ monitors, and you can get them for free, or at least real low costs at your local pawn or thrift store.

There's reasons why they were left behind to adopt LCD/LED. They're bulky, heavy, and power hungry in comparison to something thin, light, and power efficient.

Refresh rates are just fine on LCD/LEDs if you don't buy a shitty monitor, and OLED/AMOLED have superior black levels and they are only bound to get cheaper.

Stop being a fucking hipster.

I've posted before but I have a Flatron 776FM. I got it for free from some relative I've never even met.

Anons like are usually a good source for a decent CRT. And hey, I ain't complaining about a monitor I got for free.

one of the greatest factors keeping these threads going is retarded nvidia shills who insist lcd is the best. we get it, gsync failed and you want to sell out your stock.

As an actual digital artist and not a hipster hack job from Holla Forums, the screen resolution and clarity is significantly more important than whatever meager color advantage CRT might have compared to other display technologies. Not to mention CRT doesn't automatically have better color balance and range, especially the former.

Needless to say the refresh rate is completely irrelevant, even if you're doing animation.

The differences between what different user monitors and different printers show you is SIGNIFICANTLY, READ:
SIGNIFICANTLY
larger than than the difference between the colors on a CRT monitor and a decent LCD monitor would be, so you gain basically no advantage whatsoever from using a CRT unless the consumer is also viewing your "art" on a CRT of similar quality and calibration.

How else do you play anything past the PS3 and Xbox360 era?

No really how without a CRT?

inb4 muh emulation

Is far from perfect and straight up doesn't work for certain consoles, and really nothing quite beats playing a game on its intended hardware. I've got a huge collection of PS2 games that look like shit on my LCD tv.

He who gets upset about being called a fag is probably massive fucking queer.

Are these Ikegami monitors good for playing retro games up to gen5? I just want to play my Panzer Dragoon, Ace Combat, Armored Core, and Shenmue dammit.

why would you play consoles with digital out only on an analog display? If you can't answer this question for yourself you're missing the entire point on the thread.

I run Saturn games on mine, and yes, it's gorgeous. I'll take a few pictures later on of Panzer Dragoon and stuff for you.

I don't know what you mean. But all of my gen 4-5 stuff has composite video output that looks like shit on an LCD. I tried using that alternate output thing on my PS2 but God Hand, Nocturne, and Raidou all look pretty bad on it.

I used to live in a place that had a big ole CRT and running my PS2 collection was a dream on that thing. When I got an LCD monitor in University I realized that running older games on it just doesn't work. Do you know how much it hurts to have a copy of Mischief Makers that I just can't play. It really hurts m8

I LOVE GETTING EYE CANCER AND HEATING U P MY WHOLE HOUSE JUST TO GET A SHITTIER RESOLUTION!

Almost every anti-CRT post I see has the word "hipster" in it.
ITT: Asshurt projecting underageb&s trying to fit in, and getting blown the fuck out by knowledgeable /vr/ wizards.

I do video editing on a graphic design CRT. Anyone who has never done work in the field has no right to make such heinous accusations.

Eye cancer is a myth. All CRT production since the early 60s has been government mandated to ensure this doesn't happen by including a fuckload of lead (which is why they are heavy)
Your computer likely produces 100x more heat than a CRT would.
Does your monitor do 2048x1536 @85hz and 120-160hz at various lower resolutions?
No?
Than suck my fucking dick :^)

I ACTUALLY DOES

CHOKE

ON

MA

DICK

Pics or it didn't happen.
kek

I misinterpreted you, I thought you were asking how you play anything gen 7 and up on a CRT. The idea is a fixed pixel display is better for these, like LCDs.

I have 4 separate input boards for my BVM that takes digital input

LOL WHAT A POORFAG PLEB

wew lad

More like cheap shit on Craigslist and an applicable practice (video editing)

Should just hang yourself already.

Simple. Use CRTs for pre-Gaystation 4/Xbone vidya. Wii U uses Wii's Composite Cable. And there may be RGB Cables in place of Composite Cables for Wii and Wii U. If you have a CRT that allows for RGB jacks. Wii is more preferred for NES/FDS/SNES/GB/GBC/Genesis aka. Mega Drive/Master System/GBA emulating and Gamecube iso playing via Homebrew

Even gen6 is awesome, I've been playing my xbox on it a bunch. I have a fat PS2 coming as well because I never had one and I found out you can pretty much shove a hard drive in it and play whatever rips you want these days

Fucking why man. This is coming from someone with 2 PVMs & a $1300 BVM. They must have been cheap as hell.

How about you get a drivers license & drive there to pick it up? These TVs you're talking about are $50 pick up only for a reason.

A few people do in fact use the 1000 Line BVMs for modern editing, yes. Mine came out of an editing warehouse just last year that was being demolished, so at the very least they were using them in 2015.

You can upload PDFs now? This changes everything!

Funny story, I actually put the PVM on top of the BVM originally to correct the aspect ration on my BVM for SNES games. It's 16:9 so even in 4:3 mode I had to change the horizontal size to match the 4:3 picture.

Now I just keep the PVM there for VHS tapes.

It's a buzzword used to discredit people who like CRTs. Why form an argument when you can just call CRTs a meme or people who use them hipsters.

Look at him. Look at him & laugh.

Mine does 1080i. I have too hook up a PS3 to it one of these days & see what that looks like.

Never going to happen since both SED and FED tech development died due to patent bullshit. Too bad because were stuck with LED/LCDshit

made that post at home, and of course I know CRTs can use digital output. Why when you cap at 1080i? Fixed pixel displays actually accel with digital out. It's the only thing they're good for.

aren't you going to burn the the black bars into your screen

I only play it for 30 minutes at a time, it's fine.

I'm not going to drive across the US to get a BVM for a good price. This kind of negates the point of being willing to pay extra for shipping on behalf of the shipper. I'm in New York. Lots of these are in California.

As for the prices, yes, they were pretty good!

Phonedork, is that you?

I took a bunch of pictures just for you. I'll pick the best of and dump them for you. It's difficult to take a good picture of a CRT with my phone camera, but it's what I've got.

someone's mad my CRT from the 90s looks better than his shitty acer 1080p monitor :^)

Thanks for the new pictures there, looks pretty gud.
I want to pick up an Ikegami that's about an hour's drive away from me, but is there a way to test it easily?
Do I just take a vhs player, my old snes, or is there a better way to make sure it's working well?

I hope they expire or someone buys them out, they can't hold on to it forever.

unless you have some sort of way to connect a system to bnc, not quite. It may have s-video in, which you may be able to just find an adapter for composite to s-video at any retail stores electronics section.

Just look for the funky, 4-prong circular plug labeled Y/C on the back side, set the input to that. For whatever reason, if the image appears as a total mess, hit the sync button on the front side of the monitor. It may be trying to get its sync source from elsewhere. Also bring a 3 prong plug, the kind you would use for a computer. Most professional displays have detachable plugs, and this guy may not have one around.

Testing should be pretty painless. It's hard to test everything in one go, but I've never had parts that outright didn't work. And I do own 3 displays.You can also turn on/disable specific color channels with the front panel, usually with the labeled R, G and B buttons, although it may be an Ikegami thing, when I boot my monitor up it flashes red, green, and blue, then enters stand by at black.

You may be very surprised to find that these displays are very much self correcting when it comes to errors. I was reading Ikegami manuals and they even tout how you can restore to factory settings within 50 seconds.

Good luck!

there's a test button on the front that shows various patterns if you keep pressing it. It's at least something if you don't figure out how to hook up anything else. They do have composite input and even that should give you a pretty good idea

if you have a manual can you please scan it because it doesn't appear to exist on the internet :/

Mine is a somewhat new model from the early 2000s but I doubt there will be any major overhauls. They made them almost the same way for about 25 years.

Sorry, not a service manual or anything, just the available technical spec sheets and catalogs

A friend of mine picked up a crt, its not just the refresh rate. there is zero input lag on top of that, perfect for someone who plays CSGO. there's a solid 60ms advantage using the crt over a 144hz LCD monitor, i didnt realize it was so fucking huge but its real.

there is no such thing as a good CRT

The only CRT is a great CRT!

how's this work? is there a minimum "batch" size?

It's probably not really true. Making them is a very large endeavor and makes no business sense. Churning out TVs and VCRs and shit used to mean printing money. Now everyone is churning out NAND and lithium batteries and shit. If you order some on ali and they actually respond then it's old stuff. And that would be practically a miracle since it taking up space is costing them money. They would make more money pushing the pallets into the ocean 10 years ago than selling it to you today. Don't assume just because something is listed online that anyone is paying enough attention to remove it or that it will automatically expire. I've learned that many times, particularly when trying to find plastic parts for cars and stuff. Fuck that shit.

So after scanning this thread, I am intrigued.

Are CRTs completely out the mainstream market now?

It'd be cool to see how the tech can be advanced after all these years.

people are walking around out there who have never been in the same room as one

It's a shame.

You can get a lot of throughput with analogue, if you can ignore the noise.

Fiberoptic component video connections are a wet dream of mine. You could probably push the resolution up to 4K/120 or higher at that level of fidelity.

Make it happen user!

I've been watching the holocaust unfold on the sony monitors and it's kind of a wild ride. The prices spiralled out of control for a good while and now I barely see any for ANY price. I guess rich kids will hoard them no matter what? The meme has gone supreme. I shit you not most of them just pile them in their closet and leave them there.

Might as well. I have plenty of time on my hands after dropping out of electrical engineering. Seriously, though, all the required tech is super ancient, so it shouldn't be particularly difficult to work out a proof of concept.

PSA:

Advantages of a CRT compared to modern LCDs:
-Zero latency (on analogue input)
-Flexable refresh rate and resolution settings
-Viewing angles

Advantages of an LCD compared to a CRT:
-Weight
-Cost
-Size
-The technology still advancing

Notes:
the best LCDs have better image quality thesedays but the worst are still way behind decent CRTs.

The weight advantage does not matter very much, and the idea is CRT technology excels tremendously with low resolutions. When you're working with consoles that render images at 240p, 480i, 480p, CRTs process that picture information far better, and many LCD displays have no idea how to handle a signal lower than 640x480.

Wow these look great, how did you come across this beauty anyway?

ebay, and having two jobs to support my expensive hobbies. I personally think my BVMs produce a clearer picture, but the way the pixels look and the way the color dots are arranged does some really interesting things to the image. The BVM is chunky, but there's a roundness to the Ikegami monitor.

Pics are the Sony monitor in comparison.

here's a protip: call up your local hospitals, ask to speak to a technician, ask to meet for lunch and discuss the medical monitoring equipment. Work with them on their schedule, help them out, and ask to take their old monitors off their hands, and offer to pay for it.

hook up your n64 to your 60 inch lcd lol

I gave away my old sony trinitron monitor.

It had been working for almost 10 years for me but just transporting it 5 minutes down the road to my friends house made it die and never work again.

So I understand why people are reluctant to post them…

What's my best option for getting a PVM/BVM quality screen? It dosen't look like CRTs are really sold anymore in the normal markets and shipping would be murder anyway.

get in touch with local TV stations (if you have any) and hospitals. Ask to speak to technicians, and be very courteous. Offer to help out, to talk, state why you want to talk with them but don't bore them. Many hospitals just have these displays in storage. You want to find one with either RGB in, or at least expansion slots so you can install an RGB board. Also consider reaching out to security at just about any store. They may also have old monitors in storage.

Oh wow. I admire those who went through the effort required for this.
I know someone who deals with equipment for prisons, maybe I'll ask him, but I can't imagine that they used broadcast quality monitors.

bvms are the top of the line, but in order to get the best out of classic systems, you just need RGB in. This is most commonly achieved with BNC connectors on the monitor itself, and the monitors will label the RGB in connectors rather clearly. It really is worth a shot. Even if you get some 9" box, the quality of RGB alone blows the shit out of even a 32" CRT running with composite video.

If you can just get a simple PVM display? Shit, it's still great. Even JVC, Panasonic, etc. Professional monitors are a big deal. Also consider getting in touch with video production companies, studios, etc. photo shops that have been around, you may strike gold. You know?

That's what's so upsetting about explaining it. You can't unless you show someone in person. It has to be experienced, & that's part of why it's so hard to discuss online.

I disagree.

There's something about having an old shitty one from the 70s for atari games though. Must be the wood paneling.

I don't see why you would have someone do this. It's not like they're going to be RGB monitors, or PVM/BVM quality.

Agreed. We're talking about a select few thousand people who still want these things for retro gaming. The market isn't bug enough for it to be worth it.

Unless you live in China, yes. Nobody produces them anymore. I would imagine most factories that make them are gone too.

Millions of people have never played a videogame in their life too.

16:9 CRTs exist

What's the medical scene using these days?

lcd displays.

LCDs. Furthermore, the factories that these things were made in were basically totaled. I have no idea how China is still making any, but creating new ones is basically never going to happen. High Grade RGB ones anyway.

Some madmen are actually hacking CRTs into accepting RGB though, so if that ever takes off, expect CRT prices to skyrocket.

There was the LG Serie 1 Retro produced a year or two ago. Small production run as far as I can tell, and was in Worst Korea only. But it was a proper CRT.

Props to whoever figures out the intricacies of getting native RGB on consumer displays. I think there's gonna be some serious issues, something tells me these circuitry in these displays simply lack too much to get RGB going through them in any reliable sense.

How does someone even find out what worst korea produces. They have factories making tube TVs there? Fuck, they have factories at ALL?

How do I get them repaired?

Just buy a PVM or BVM off eBay, it would be easier. I don't even know where you would begin fixing one, but be warned

SERIOUSLY TAKE THIS ADVICE

CRTs can fucking KILL you if you don't know what you're doing. They're giant batteries, so don't attempt to fix one if you're not a professional.

Good time to learn some electronics. Even if you're not in any way knowledgeable on repair, might be worth cracking it open and seeing if the capacitors are fine, if there's any visible corrosion and if there's anything obvious to the eye.
If the tube itself is shot, then it's dead, but if it's not doing anything at all when applying power, it's likely something else. Hopefully just a dodgy cap, or a corroded or otherwise dislodged connection somewhere.

Also, what said. Look up how to discharge the tube, and if you're paranoid, leave it to sit around for a while and discharge it again in an hour. Just shorting it out works. Fuckers behave like giant capacitors and can hold a charge for a long time. Once that's done, you're pretty much golden.

Depending on the size of the tube and how long it's been sitting around without being turned on, it might not be lethal, but it's still nothing you'd want to experience, particularly when holding anything sturdy.

No worries, they've been unplugged for years now.

CD will fucking kill you. Drain the electricity out anyway. Do it twice.

Is that a fucking microwave?

I thought caps lose their charge after a few months. Doesn't matter, not like I'm going to open them up until I know what I'm doing.

Still have a 2005 Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 stored away in its original box. Smallish 19" flatscreen, but can be posted easily (weighting less than 22 kg). It's not for sale currently, I will keep it.
Funnily enough the case turned yellow within three years, so it looks like as if it comes straight from the 1980s. Might have to apply Retrobright to it.

Go on craigslist, people give away 100s of these things for free every day. You see them on the side of the road all the time. You couldn't pay people to take them.

The vertical resolution of a CRT is pretty fixed an going lower than that reduces brightness and adds ugly black scanlines to the picture.
CRTs need double-scan to handle low resolutions, especially resolutions below 480 lines.
Most PC CRTs displayed in this thread are unable properly handle anything below about 800 lines. Means a minimum resolution of 1024x768 is required. LCDs can upscale, CRTs can't, but most modern cards/drivers don't support proper double-scan anymore.

I still laughed.

Help me out with a choice anons.
$125 for an Ikegami
$200 for a Trinitron with test pattern generator and some sort of 'vectorscope' but with manuals, etc.

For a little more you could get a PVM or BVM. If you have to, I guess an Ikegami is fine. It foes RGB right?

Ikegami is PVM, I think. RGB. Showcased running Street Fighter 2.

Trinitron is a BVM, I think. Comes with lots of broadcast stuff the guy wants to get rid of, like that test pattern generator, hence 200 bucks. Also RGB.

You don't know what a PVM actually is, do you?

I don't I just searched for it on craigslist.
Also, it does say broadcast color monitor in the description so I got them mixed up.
2nd pic related.

PVM: Professional Video Monitor

BVM: broadcast Video Monitor

BOTH of these are brand names for Sony's line of high end CRTs from the 90s into the mid 2000s.

An Ikegami is never a pvm or bvm because it's not made by sony. That would be like having a walkman made by microsoft or something.

That Ikegami probably does RGB. Can I get a picture of the back?

Sure

Same monitor i have (although mine is a 17R not 17RA). Posted some shots earlier in the thread. Amazing set! I like sony monitors bolder pixel colors more but theres a softer look to ikegami sets, seems more naturally antialiased.

Is that stuff High Definition?

See the plugs on the back labeled R,G,B, & Sync? That's how you know it's an RGB monitor. Probably 600 lines.

Would you say it's worth the 100+ (and longish drive)?
This is the other option, but it's 200 and comes with extra video testing gear. Guy refuses to break up the set.

You can get 1440p 140-160hz displays with gsync/freesync now in the $200 range. No reason to get a CRT anymore really.

Oh fuck, does that PVM come with an oscilloscope? Looks like a really early one from the looks of it. Is there a picture of the back? We can see what inputs it takes & maybe get a production number on the back. That way we might be able to find out the year it was produced.

I've personally never seen a PVM older than 1994.

God dammit, fuck this mountaintown

No pic of the back, but model is PVM-1271Q.
Also comes with a light box, which apparently is a color-stripe test pattern box you can stick a light in.

Oh shi, that's where I got this guys post. But Sedona is fucking hours away.
I might as well drive to fucking Cali, those bastards always got some for sale.

Ah shit you niggers were right. Trinitron is one of the better CRT's right [spoiler]although I really wanted to snatch up an ikegami monitor, oh well I might use a friend's hospital connection to see if they have anything like that.

Finally I'll be able to play muh Armored Core, Panzer Dragoon, and Mischief Makers in glorious CRT goodness.

One just ended on eBay for $75 & free shipping. Probably too small to waste your time on.

ebay.com/itm/122032244163/

CRTs are a meme

Nice Try Satan

literally the most reddit argument possible

You can be gay, just don't be a Fag about it.

Well fuck that noise then. The 100 ikegami looks worth a try then. Also S-video while I get something for the BNC inputs would be nice.

>>>Holla Forums

Thats nice, please play 240p or 480i content on it to see why this thread is around.

240p content works great on projectors.

Anyone here know if the connectors marked "OUT" on my PVM-1341 will actually output the same signal it receives? The manual doesn't go into much detail.

kek

Yes, it outputs the same signal it's receiving.

I'm still salty that SED tech never got into stores.

nice meme, just don't touch it whilst it's turned on. the big capcitors and transformer are the only parts that are dangerous when turned off. the transformer is covered in plastic to stop you from being electrocuted anyway.

only reason to touch it whilst it's on is to mess around with the internal adjustment knobs to get the picture right.

CRTs are really easy to fix. you only need to learn the basics of electrcity and soldering and you're good to go.

Someone want to explain this or is it just a meme?

there's no such thing as 0 input lag, light itself has travel time

but CRTs are measured in nano seconds or microseconds(depending on signal type, controller board etc) versus the typical LCDs milliseconds.

vs

The electron gun in a CRT starts drawing the instant it receives input. LCDs wait for the data for the entire frame, and usually add extra lag by resizing, running filters, frame interpolation, etc.

Probably the best/worst example is in television sets.
They heavily process the signal before actually displaying anything, pulling in a handful of frames before showing one. This is to do those godawful in-between frame insertions, smoothing effects, cope with the occasional packet loss and whatever the manufacturer thinks will make their TV more desirable in the stores. On top of that you have the actual time it takes for any single element to shift from one color to another.

Monitors in general tend to have much less processing involved, usually processing just one frame, scaling it. Whatever it is, it's not purpose-built for the TV experience, so it tends to be a lot snappier.

CRTs, due to their design, have to do minimal processing and just blast that shit to the tube the moment they get a signal. Most of the work, timing and any buffering is pushed to whatever is sending the input, so there's nothing to clog up the display itself. It's just ready to light up at a moment's notice.
And the time it takes for the phosphorous to light up is small enough to be considered instantaneous for most purposes.

Cool, thanks.

Ayy lmao I just got one of those the other day

Just on a whim I'm going to add that I will harass the fuck out of anyone selling the monitor I want to post it to me, even if it costs a few 100 $$$'s. Getting impatient now, been watching auctions for months and none have appeared with delivery. Even if it doubles the cost of the item, o well.

There is a nice panasonic 9" RGB CRT on ebay right now. This may be very much worth looking into if anyone wants a cheap CRT. $39 + $18 shipping (houston to NY). This looks like a decent little set and would be great for someone looking to try it out or for a budget buy. Looking up Panasonic BT-S915DA will yield results.

such a great webm for such a shit post. I don't get you eternally furious LCD people.

These people are from reddit and are also big faggots. CRT's and PVM's are usually talk about on av equipment forums, /vr,/ or places like atari age or sega 16.

I bet you don't even own a supergun. I bet you don't even know what a supergun IS do you user?

For years I've been making my browser smaller than the screen, despite my screen already being a tiny 12.5" laptop panel. I always just thought it was because I was a fag and wanted to look at my music album art on the side – and I've always felt more comfortable this way.

I just measured the aspect ratio of my browser and it's almost EXACTLY 4:3, infact if you shave off the scroll bar it's as close as you can get to 4:3 without repeating decimals. This was not intentional when I set up my screen this way.

So does anyone else use a Dell Trintron for Retro PC and Dreamcast gaming?
Dell Trintrons are pretty great, 85hz at 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 1024 is also nice.

Also working on getting my ps2 and other systems hooked up to it.

autism

Since you asked for it, that's foobar2000 playing music.

Man looking at all cool CRT monitors/tvs makes me jelly. Yesterday I went thrift shopping and I picked up an old Sylvania TV for 17 bucks because playing my Xbox and PS1 on my shitty Vizio TV looked terrible. Also found a copy of AVP2 for PC and a weird sealed Best Buy combo disc of Deus Ex and Thief 2.

I'm planning on setting up an emulation box for gen4 and older systems hooked up to my BVM. Just a small ITX PC, hopefully one with VGA out, VGA to BNC cables and getting the best out of it. I'm a little concerned with how the PC resolutions might work, but I think it'll end up alright. I think I need to do more studying on it just to make sure I'm not doing anything I shouldn't be.

If it doesn't work out, I'll likely set up my Wii to the BVM and just emulate gen 4 and back off of that. I'm happy with SNES, Genesis, TG16, etc. emulation on it, so I think it'll be fine as a solution.

Nothing stopping you from going to a Value Village & buying one for $5.00

Isn't that the Japanese alphabet dedicated just to Signs & Robots when they talk in Japanese Comics?

You're thinking of kanji, and no that isn't only what it is used for. The user you replied to is talking about romaji, which is what the japs call using english letters to make japanese words. You can see in the window stuff like "Owari no Hajimari" which is what he is talking about.

It's like these faggots forgot Trinitrons, high range CRT monitors and PVMs were a thing.

would have uploaded .png, but shitting thing was 18MB

Go on, Grab hold of that tube, user. Fucking dare you. There's a reason step one is always to use a discharging lead.

Be aware that the WEGA Trinitrons can detect and display 240p.

Meaning no scanlines.

There's a reason why my 30" widescreen behemoth is only used for Dreamcast and newer, while my 24" Emerson is used for everything PS1 and older.

I'd be furious, too, if I didn't have a glorious, sharp CRT screen for my vidya needs, instead stuck with shitty Analog scalers built into LCDs that make everything look like shit and cause measurable input lag :^)

Finally someone talking some sense. When someone tells you not to fuck around with something because it can kill you, you best damn well believe them.

Former US Air Force Avionics tech. CRTs fucking EVERYWHERE. Guess what sort of things the Air Force has a morbid habit of? Taking lots of pictures and video of what doing stupid shit can do to you. I've seen what a CRT can do to someone dumb enough to not discharge it before working on it. And this was just some dumpy little 12" MFD.

You thing Holla Forums has a gore stash, nigger you ain't seen shit. They took pictures of what remained of a person standing on the wrong side of a C-130 nose gear tire when it failed. Blew him across the hangar and UNDER a fucking generator cart. Dude was just a heap of meat and scraps of uniform.

An electric lighter zapper produces same voltage, if not more; 10 kV is a small value for a static charge. And the static charge that a CRT can accumulate is like what, 100 picofarad? It'll bite but otherwise nothing's gonna happen. The reason you use a lead is to avoid electronic components damage from high voltage discharge, which strikes through insulation and tends to permanently damage it in the process, bricking the component.

You could say CRTs are serious business.

Then, as I said, make a video of you running your CRT to full warm up, unplug it, and grab hold of that fucker. Unless you're scared, it's okay user, it's only a couple picofarad, right?

You ever touched a working CRT screen? And the worst thing that happened is that you got a handful of tiny sparks running across your fingers. That's how much charge you speak of.

I didn't come in here expecting to learn Skills & Terms like these, but I'm loving every bit of it.

You know how to prove me wrong, and yet here you are, not doing it

Don't kill a man over fixing a TV user, you're better than that. we all know he's wrong. Just end it there.

Agreed, more gorgeous CRT shots it is.

Nice lamp. So your TV doesn't do RGB then?

It's 7 AM in here, what did you expect. The point is that at 10 kV and with 100 pF of capacitance there will be jack shit worth of charge; that'd be 0.0001 joule. That not gonna do shit.

You what, want me to touch a backside of the CRT tube? What do you think it's gonna do? All the charge is accumulated at the screen where electrons meet an object and impose their charge onto it, backside is neutral. Or you want me to touch its front side? Like that did anything to anyone ever despite everyone doing it.

You can just admit that you're scared shitless of CRTs and now fearmongering for no apparent reason.

Nah, this one does S-Video. Sharp as a tack too. Camera does it much injustice. Not bad for something I found abandoned in a laundry room.

You're a bold man user. I will tell the Children Stories of you.

It's called "Respecting the dangers presented by an object and taking steps to mitigate them"

You know what, just do it and record yourself. I am certain you won't be missed

Have you thought of going to your local thrift store?

your gpu's must be misaligned dumbass op.

kek

Joule is a unit of energy; charge is energy, as far as electricity impact on the body goes you only care about energy. Don't be a nitpicky autist.

I didn't read the thread. If that fag is talking about the charge inside the tube than that's more valid than a bullshit claim that the whole thing is dangerous because of charge. Spark from that shit is a bit bigger and will jolt a lot harder. So it's a good idea to discharge it.

But even then, that's nowhere near actually dangerous levels - and it's not a continuous current, only a singular discharge. You know, like how people survive some lightning bolts but sure as shit die from shorting power lines, and not even necessarily high voltage lines.

they are just buttmad cause they know that soon that they will be replaced by OLEDs

I want to say my BVM is almost too sharp. Anyone else here own one?

I have other PS1 games if someone wants to see what they look like in RGB.

one thing i love about crt's is monochrome green screens. they are beautiful to look at.

I wish there was the same effect on LED's..

Even from LCD user standpoint that aspect ratio is pig disgusting, and everyone agrees with that maybe except you user, you huge cocksucker
16:10>4:3>5:4>21:9>shit>>>>>16:9

That's gotta be the smallest .webm I've ever seen.

Why isn't this a gif?

complains im not posting webm
complains im not posting gif

MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!

To be fair a gif's ideal for aliased pictures like that.

i removed it so i can't make it into a .gif

s-sorry user

I think I actually have to agree there. That some intense sharpness that almost seems to defy the qualities of CRTs. I have a BVM-D14H5U, a 14" monitor that I think has the perfect sharpness and black scanline thickness that provides a spot-on balance for the visuals.

What's the size of your monitor? I think you might have an ace display for 480p games, but I've found great results with smaller monitors on 240p games.

now you make me feel bad. this is your fault!

I'm not bad with electronics and if I do dissasmble one I'll make sure to read up properly and prepare but it's still kind of scary.

So, 24 inches? I've got a PVM-20M2MDU also, so maybe I should just use it for 240p games, & use the BVM for 480 & higher.

Ape Escape looks phenomenal on this thing though, so there's that. Maybe it's just better for 3D games. Did Ape Escape Run at 240p?

I opened tv's and removed its cathode rays.

it's the same thing. before you touch the glass display on the back you should take a screwdriver and discharge it by touching it with the metal end. the glass can still hold a charge even when its off.

You will probably get better results with the 20" monitor, that or increase your viewing distance. Unless your bvm has a way to change line counts like I've seen on some models. A lower line count will likely yield a less sharp picture. Gotta appreciate how well it represents the source image though. No denying its accurate.

PS2 games look a bit better. If I had my Component Cables Hooked up instead of RGB I could have taken these with Progressive scan. It's a pain in the ass to get behind & swap out the cords just for a photo, so here's what 480i looks like at least.

I did try progressive scan on it before with a program I found that can force it on games that normally don't support it, & Metal Gear Solid 3 on this TV in Progressive scan is a real sight.

(no idea what those red lines are. They only show up in Photos)

Probably an artifact of the electron gun scanning

I mean the nice ones that when I look them up they're being listed for over 2 grand.

ITT: the poor, third worlders, and hipsters.

You don't need to own a 1000 Line BVM user. There's only like 300 of those left in working condition. Start small & get a 20M2MDU.

So I've got 3 options.

I've got some old desktop monitors in my attic, my buddy has a couple old tv's (not sure what kind yet, but probably nothing special) and I found a trinitron for sale for breddy cheap. I want to a CRT for playing my old consoles, but also for watching oldschool animu. What do you guys recommend?

Also, for the games I don't have yet how would running an emulator from my pc hooked up to a CRT work? Would it even be worth it?

For 2D 240p gaming it gets complicated. It's usually easier to just mod a Wii.

You would need an Extron, VGA to VGA to connect your PC to the interface and 4x BNC to 4x BNC to connect the interface to the monitor. You might end up using only three in RGsB mode, but safe is safe.

You also need a supported ATI video card. One listed here:

geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65

Thanks man. I actually have an old Wii laying around gathering dust. How would I go about modding it to do what I want? Shadilay

You should find the answers you're looking for somewhere here. There should be a guide somewhere.

gbatemp.net/categories/nintendo-wii-discussions.104/

Which models? I've never heard of this. I want to try it out if there's a way to do it on mine.

the extron encoder does not deal with the flickering, that guy that researches scanlines never tells you that, i went through the trouble of getting one and also an extron RGB (this one is very useful) and the result is a quasi 240p output because the extron encoder only knocks off half the scanlines but technically it's still a flickering 480i signal

In the end i sold the encoder and purchased a JROK encoder, the working solution was

modified ATI card → Extron RGB for signal cleansing -→JROK encoder —- any 15 khz CRT

I am the actual scanline god now

Oh yeah and btw you don't need that emudriver shit, there is a Tool called Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) that works on windows and you can use it with cards as recent as the 7800 series and maybe newer as long as they kept the DVI-I port available, of course you could ignore all that and just use a couple of linux commands in terminal that will have the same effect.

In order to pass a 15khz RGB signal using that port you need a DVI-A (A stands for analog) to DB-15 pasive adapter , they are cheap.

I could go on and on about this theme but i know you won't take the trouble.

I got a headache playing Jak and Daxter on this thing through s-video. There was also a black dot on the screen but whatever I paid $35 for it.

I will own that monitor one day and make my electric company very happy.

You're really likely to be happy with it. I take any excuse to use mine. The fact that it has a switch between RGB and yipper is good too, since component is pretty close to the quality of RGB unless you constantly take photos and pixel peep, especially for stuff like PS2 it's way easier to deal with. I'm waiting on an RGB interface for mine, an extron RGB 192V that cost $30. If it does what it claims it should unlock a bonanza of RGB console gameplay and emulation on my monitor. It can handle the weird RGsB sync from a PS2's RGB mode and output RGBHV that's agreeable to the monitor instead. Other people have said they just plug their VGA graphics card into it and custom set their resolution to 240p and emulate through it. It basically just feasts on whatever computer signal you feed into it.

Only thing I have with a CRT set up right now is an iMac G3, which, say what you want, is a pretty neat machine. OS9 has a large amount of the popular games from that era as well.

I have a 20" Apex in my closet, not really anything special, but I recall the colors and sound being pretty nice on it. If I had the room for it I'd be using it right now for my Dreamcast, N64, and 3DO.

>>>/gaschamber/ followed by a bullet or five to the head is the only proper answer, to stop them from rising up after death.

I would take that bet all. See Disney and their 75+ years times infinity. Yes the movie industry and the display industry are different however, the is now precedent (legal history) to help justify the display industry when they decide to do so.

Scaling images is way easier in gimp as the setting is right in the toolbar. Also the interface, is in my opinion is better layout than in Krita. However Krita processes items and starts up faster.

Looked around for some news and apparently AU Optronics bought the SED assets from Sony and hasn't done anything with them for the past 5 years. And I can't even find info about Nano-Proprietary, the firm that sued Canon over sharing production tech with Toshiba and held key patents for SED tech. It's all fucked it seems.

Nice.

why isn't this a webm

How does one go about hooking up YpBbR cables to a BVM? I feel like I've seen the component hook ups as just little BNC caps that you plug the cables directly into, but looking them up I can't seem to find a thing.

Do you mean, how to connect RCA cables to BNC ports? If your display can accept component it should be obvious. For the ports you need an RCA to BNC plug.

figured it was that simple, and yes, I did mean RCA cables. I can't seem to find those adapters anywhere. I swear I've seen them, they look like the 75 ohm terminators I have, just with rca females on one end.

They're really common. I got mine off of ebay.

Copyright isn't the same as a Patent. Patent law is very strict. You have a fixed amount of time to produce a device and then it enters public domain. This prevents companies from monopolizing things like the Internal Combustion Engine.