Remember when devs weren't scared to let you play their game before release...

Remember when devs weren't scared to let you play their game before release? I don't own a latest gen console so maybe I'm wrong. Are there lots of demos on their online stores?

Other urls found in this thread:

emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_-_Demos_ISOs/List-All-Titles/25
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't think devs are afraid of it. It's publishers that have a bigger problem with it.

Playstation's been demoing a lot of games in a large scale, Ni-Oh is noteworthy for it's two different alpha/beta periods, and the changes done between the two periods is tremendous and shows the developers have a strong desire to create a product they're prideful of.

REMEMBER WHEN THINGS WERE BETTER WHEN WE WERE KIDS?

Woah there mister pedo, no need to be passive aggressive. Things WERE better back then. You know gaming was in a better state when even movie games and cartoon licensed games were top tier.

Are you like 13 years old or what, because I'm pretty sure nobody lived through the PS1 era and thinks the state of video games is better now.

Demos still exist, they just don't come on discs as far as I'm aware. But demos have always been a mixed bag since the developer can still lie to you and have you play something that's not representative of the final product.

There's only a handful of decent licensed games. For the most part they've always been shit.

yes, I remember a thorough demo being a rarity, at best they were a handful of stages and the demo was over in 10-15 minutes.

It was nice having demo discs act as large bundles of games to try out, that was the best part of demos as a whole.

To be honest, demos only really existed properly for two generations, right? You can't reasonably demo a cartridge game, carts were expensive. It was mostly 5th and 6th gen systems that had demos. I personally have almost every official xbox magazine demo disk behind me.

Demo discs were only good when I was a poor kid who couldn't afford to buy or rent vidya very often

Yeah, we're adults now so we need to spread our cheeks and take it up our ass like other responsible people out there

He's using tor, that should confirm that he's indeed 13 years old

Lion king, 2 Aladdins,Toy story and toy story 2, Stewart little 2, Jungle book, Home Alone 2, Hercules, Spiderman licensed games on SNES and Megadrive, the X men license games for PS1.

Just to name a few, a bit more then you can hold.

Fucking Brutal Legend god damnit

I think they were largely pretty good but never anything great. To my knowledge, the absolute best licensed game was escape from butcher bay, which came out in the pit of the period of horrible licensed games.

Have you considered playing them?

Those were the days. Also when demos were fun to play and even had multiplayer

Spiderman 2, King Kong ps2, Battle for bikini bottom the list goes on and on

there was some power stone like game I used to have a demo of but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it and lost the demo and would really want to play it again.

I tried to avoid PS2 but yeah the list does go on, there were also some Mahvel alliance clones using the nick license for all their shows at the time that weren't too bad bar the shit stories

Some of those are only good compared to the fucking sewage that movie studios consider a video game. Plus, for every good licensed game, you could name 10 more shitty licensed games from the same generation.

Hey
Hey man
Man listen
Early access:^)

played lots of 'em, they weren't the best games, but they were alright

Mind naming which so I know what to laugh at you for.
Any good game now you could name 100 other bad ones from the same year let alone generation or if they're licensed or not, what's you're point?
Just because other games are shit doesn't deter the quality from the ones which are good, the point was a much higher quality of diamonds in the rough that occurred.

Please give me a good reason why Stuart Little 2 is a masterpiece.

Calming and chill collathon similar to mario 64 and has level design visually distinct and takes advantage of the characters stature is that of a mouse and constantly throws varying hazards at you that will only appear in those particular worlds making them distinct in what you navigate around.
Game also keeps the levels at a perfect time so you never get board of one part in the game.
You can pick it up and have a chilled day and put it down completed by dinner without feeling like the game at any point has become a chore.

Much greater then the film where you can't watch for 10 minuets without wondering why you even rented the film when you watched the first film which was also a pile of shit.

I got 2 jampacks, wish we stil had em. Demos get pulled from PSN, would be neat to have the physical.

Yeah theres lots of demos now. And the big console shooters mostly all get free "betas" which are just server stress tests

There is rarely a difference between the two anymore. Publishers consume developers and fuse with them.

how about no?

here, bring back the golden era!
emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_-_Demos_ISOs/List-All-Titles/25

Remember when you could demo games at an arcade for a quarter? With a couple bucks you could try eight different games, and if you were really good you could even finish them on that one quarter.

Probably Poy Poy. It was like Power Stone in the sense that you have four player arena combat with items all over the place, and powerups, but most of the trash in the stages was bombs or boulders.

After you memorized the enemy spawns and patterns, as well as the levels, but when you're that good at a game, it just becomes killing time, not really having fun. I can beat TMNT the arcade game on one quarter NOW, because I know all of the tricks to avoid getting hit in two of the most bullshit stages, but I probably won't ever play it again. When I played it on 360, I would just be a tour guide, leading other players through the game so they could beat it. Bleh.

Has that changed? May I remind you that devs now release their unfinished games and charge you full price for them?

Those were the days.

No, I remember demo versions being free.

Said every generation, ever.
I know.
I have tons and tons of writing by generations of my family of my family.
my father, grand-father, grand-grand father all say the same.
World has gone to shit.

o o I member.

Member when devs didn't shove their political agendas down our throats?

Nice!

That ID is fucking nice holy shit

Oooooh yeah I member!

Member when expansion packs were a thing and doubled the content of the game?

I'm of the opinion that we still get a few good games a year, but industry trends and rising dev costs have made gaming a bit worse.

While music and movies had their peak eras, think they've done better at maintaining quality level overall (the 90s is more comparable to now in those cases than with vidya).

It's all nostalgia goggles to me when folks see
everything
as worse, but that doesn't mean its not valid to see a few things as declining. The folks who legit have nostalgia goggles think everything is getting worse, you can't just throw away the idea that some things are declining though categorically.

there are actually a decent amount of demo's on PS4 that you can download for free. some arent available anymore, but there are atleast 20 available currently on the market. (though its mostly, if not all trash)

demos back in the PS1 days required a subscription to PSM. cartridge games never gave out demos, but sometimes they would send you a VHS tape with ads for their newest product, like the rumble pack or pokemon games.

any of us that grew up in the NES and 16-bit era know the lowest the gaming industry is capable of. people just forget how shitty it was of them because now you can just look shit up. but back in the day you would literally pay $60 for a game, and get stuck on the 1st or 2nd level because of some obscure secret they can only be figured out through nintendo power magazine. or if you rented it for $5 for 3 days you just hope you hit that wall so youre not tricked into buying that game, but some of the games put it halfway through for that reason.

this is why i will never see nintendo as the "good" company. atari pulled that shit until their company went belly up, then they shaped up. sega pulled that shit back then too but not nearly as often or to as much of an extent as nintendo. nintendo had practices on par with tiger games to be honest. then when Sony started up, they had way better practices. until microsoft joined in and everything went to shit. then nintendo came out like "hey remember us from your childhood?" but to anyone that remembers, it should only bring up traumatizing childhood memories.

Hello? Help?

sorry, i was too busy playing on my PC to notice the plight of consolefags starved of demos

Lurk more you fucking newfags. In fact, back to cuckchan.

Has school finished for the day?

must be playing some amazing games user. whatre you currently playing?

Deus Ex with GMDX. You?

sounds fun

im working at 100% on EDF4.1 with my brother. im at 92% now. then i'll start working on the DLC. im getting odin sphere tomorrow in the mail. i havnt been playing my PC much, last thing i played was mount and blade. im also a buyfag and working on obtaining more TG16 games.

You know when someone asks you out of politeness what are you currently doing?

>>>/cuckchan/

No, because some arcade games never made it to consoles you try hard le nostalgic 90s kid cuck.

How?

Yeah, I remember it just like it was yesterday
Because it was, you faggot. Today there are more demos released for games than there were back in the day

MEMBER WHEN GAMES WERE GOOOOOD?

Real talk though, I think there's a study shown somewhere that demos of modern games lowers sales figures because people see they're dogshit and don't want to buy them.

but seriously. have you never played deus ex until now? its a good game, but i'd have to be pretty fucking bored to play a game that old. are you bored?

Are you dumb?

They were for a lot of things.

That's a fallacy. Just because it's been said before doesn't mean it isn't true now

post it on >>>/nofap/

So you're telling me somebody actually wasted money to hire a team that spent time ,money and effort to conduct a study hat shows that : if a product is of inferior quality and people try it before they get the option to purchase it , that may cause some people to not purchase it?

are you retarded?

Welcome to the AAA game industry. Enjoy your stay.

Be careful of what you wish for

before release and before theyre finished are 2 very different things user.

Its not the devs being afraid, its the publishers.

And besides, we still have them now.

Can I play DE with GMDX on consoles?

Can you play Second Son?
:^)

Who

"the best thing available for my gaming device of choice right now is a modded version of a 15yo game. yet i still pretend to be superior"

Old games are superior though.

No, because companies paid them a shitload for their unfinished product to attempt to push their other products

Demos have gone away for a simple business reason.
A particular person is much more likely to be interested in a game, play the demo, and decide not to buy it, rather than someone not being interested in a game, play the demo, and decide to buy it.

Also putting together a demo for release, possibly using content not in the final release, take time and effort that could have been used in the actual game.

yes, but literally anyone who has a PC made in the past decade is capable of playing old games.

That's not always the case though. There have been lots of games where the demo has been passed around and enjoyed which in turn led to better sales of the full version. The problem is that today's games are ass and depend mostly on hype to sell. Playing a demo often kills the hype unless your game is legitimately good which these days games usually aren't.

At the end of the day the viability of demos has to do with the quality of the demo.