You guys ready for the death of online gaming within the week?

You guys ready for the death of online gaming within the week?
We had a good run, but it would seem that with Obama's recent decision to give over control of the internet, we're gonna have a lot harder time playing games that some country doesn't like, and censors for no fucking reason.

Other urls found in this thread:

proxyportal.org/
opendns.com
wikileaks.org/wiki/Alternative_DNS
icann.org/resources/pages/what-2012-02-25-en
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_network_protocol_stacks
quora.com/Is-there-an-alternative-to-the-TCP-IP-model-that-does-not-utilize-the-Internet-Protocol-IPv4-6
techtorium.co.nz/alternatives-to-tcpip/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_Network
irati.eu/education/
archive.is/fdqVs
opennicproject.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm ready for Russia to make the internet great again and free of degeneracy.

How exactly all that will affect DNS that it'll lead to easy censorship?

Come to Russia then! Suddenly you won't be so ready.

I don't think this will affect the extremely niche classic mode Doomseeker servers i play in.

Not trying to say this wasn't a bad decision from Obongo and that it won't lead to censorship down the line, but you're way too hyped up, mate.
Still waiting on that shemitah by the way

Unless some massive massive MASSIVE changes happen to the law, the internets going to be governed by each countries laws. Just like it is now.

So until we end up with a NWO, we'll just have to be waiting for bob page and walton simmons to bring us to the new age.

No, within six months.

Yeah, I need to stop coming to this shithole. It died almost a year ago. Such a waste of time.

Yes.
Old men, are the future.

electronic Oldmen

And their FLEXIBILITY

pick one

Online gaming has been dead to me for at least 5 years.

Absolutely.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

This.

Thank God.

Impressive

When did this meme start

Long before you showed up, buddy.

This.
Half the people freaking about about ICANN don't even know what the fuck it's about.

My god you're a fucking retard, I mean it's shit and probably treason that obongo is forfeiting the american ownership of this asset, but seriously, this affects like, only people that use the US public DNS Database.

Plus gameservers (usually) aren't indexed.

I'd love it to be as chaotic as people want to believe, as the death of many major sites and gaming servers through the world would mean a normalfag outrage like few before. And I would watch it burn with a large grin on my face, knowing that those normalfags will be useful for once.

I don't care. I play dorf fort.

Well, considering your a normal fag that doesn't understand server indexing I hat to pour this hot coffee in your crotch, but this will likely effect no-one but people using really cheap independent IPs that don't have their own DNS databases.

I mean seriously.
The US one doesn't even have e621 indexed.

Yeah, I don't get it, mainly since I didn't follow this at all, but I want to see some chaos for once, it always is a fun sight to have.

You mean ASSFAGGOTS right?

*unsheathes katana*

When they realized that being a drooling retard with the mind of a three year old wasn't enough to play it properly.

If you want to get really conspiratorial, all this bullshit crying about ICANN is a smokescreen to get conservatives to focus on something else besides Hillary for a change.

it'll probably kill Holla Forums

Doubtful, this paints a long term warning sign on the wall, but the idea that websites are gonna just start diapering is silly.

Also, 8ch.pl (which is basically an exact copy of this site) doesn't fall into the legal jurisdiction of this. So if we had to? We could just gather there.

Old men, running the world.

Do you not know what a DNS server is user?

Given how hard the U.N. was kvetching over fictional little girls you can kiss your loli goodbye. They were bitching so hard that Japan had to send them a formal statement telling them that drawings aren't real & fictional people do not have rights.

Good, lolis are shit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't ICANN only about Domain Names?

everyone keeps saying "obama is handing over the internet" but surely he doesn't have the power to do that and theres some fuckwits in congress behind it too

all obama uses the internet for is calling in drone strikes and doing AMAs on fucking reddit he shouldn't get to make calls like that

And beating off to trannies.

Yes, everyone is making this up to be a bigger deal than it actually is. **This probably includes obama who thinks he is literally handing over the power to control everything posted on the internet to the UN, because he's a colossal faggot.

Why?
They're all shit

If it can be mistaken for a boy, it's shit.
See: Ellen Page

Wouldn't be the first time Obama did something outside of his authority.

What about boys who can be mistaken for girls?

Same

Dubs

pham

nice double dubs despite the unfortunate truth behind it, obama seemed alright at first too and nwo look at things

i think the only impressive thing under his belt over the last few years is "killing" osama, now i put that in quotes not because i think osama isn't dead, but because people chalk it up to his leadership that osama is dead and not some one finally torturing some brown dudes enough to finally figure out where to drop the special ops guys

They are delicious.

yeah its horseshit, even then before i could vote during his initial campaign i looked poorly on anyone who voted him in just because he's black

and since i couldn't vote during his initial campaign most of my thinking he's alright came from general shite i was seeing on tv

It won't, it's just idiots freaking out about things they don't understand.

In the absolute worst case scenario, you can always use IP addresses or set IT autists can fashion a secondary name system if people actually tried to do something through icann.

Well, it really shows too, most of his "Accomplishments" are just runoff from bush's presidency. Which really shows, since he ended up creating a power vacuum in the ME that led to them going out into other countries rather than mostly staying in their own countries dicking around with US troops, which groups of islamic fanatics were more than happy to take advantage of to attempt to advance on everyone else. Doesn't help that Obama basically HAD to stoke racial tension in america as hard as possible to ensure his reelection (Because still black)

I'm wondering just what will happen on this front. It seems almost inevitable that some government or company will try to shut a website out of the DNS at some point and that an independent DNS could be created in response, but what would the governments of countries do? Could they make it illegal to use anything but the One True Server?

If worst comes to worst, here's what will go down.
1. Go into browser.
2. Type 8ch.net to begin funposting
3. Site takes me to page telling me I've been a naughty boy
2. Type Number.Number.Number.Number instead
3. Get to Holla Forums and get to posting

I forget who said it, but someone said that Obama was doing average-to-well until the arab spring got to Syria and he started fucking up majorly there. Turns out that rebels in that chunk of the world do use religion for inspiration and are mostly uncivilized assholes, who knew!

fug :DDD

That's entirely unattainable by design. You'd basically have to nuke ALL online servers and rebuild the system from the ground up to do that.

My main concern is what's gonna happen to proxy services.

problem solved

see

Most of them don't use the Basic DNS server registry anyway to get around blocks and shit.

It's not just about what 'this particular change will bring', but also what future changes will have more legitimacy due to this change.You should not EVER give a single inch to those who want to control you. Slippery slopes are real damn it!

I mean, they can always try, but it'll have about as much weight as if they made visiting the websites themselves illegal. ie. not much.

The worst icann itself can do is fuck with the names, and that can be worked around any number of ways and integrated with all the open source web browsers rather easily.

Who's the hungry hobbit?

We can't do shit.
The best you can hope for is that fucking the internet too hard is bad for big business.
Just enjoy what you can and keep a suicide method ready at all times.

Let me put it this way: if I try to go to thepiratebay.se from the UK I get redirected to a page with the following (I'm pretty sure this is my ISP's doing rather than the government itself, but it could only be enforced because government rules made it possible). Obviously this is an impotent measure but the precedent is there. If it were possible to target domain names on the global level then I'm sure groups like the BPI and MPAA would press for it.

They could try, but it would do nothing except spur autistic internet users to fix the problem. The issue is readily circumvented.

Did you try going to
proxyportal.org/
?

Everyone knows about Proxies, dork. He's just showing legal precedent for blocking websites is there.

and the precedent is also there for getting around blocking sites.

Faggot.

We all know the UN will do everything in their power to fuck us over.

What do you mean? Referring to the lack of punishment for using a proxy to go around something?
That's going to be fixed soon.

Thanks user.
You have the brainpower of the peanut.

(checked)

Funny coming from a pea brain.

I'm not even going to read this thread, but anyone who thinks this means ICANN or IANA or anything is going to end up under UN or Chinese control is a fucking retard who doesn't know anything about how the internet works. That includes the administration, considering they saw fit to rile up the entire site about fucking nothing.

I've heard of people getting fucko'd just for using a VPN.

Sites protected by cloud flare last I checked that meant you can't get to the site by typing in its direct ip like that.

Also, nothings going to change. This is a slippery slope sure, could be bad long term. But as is the internets going to stay the same.

Piracy isn't exactly in the list of big concerns for the united nations, even if they give it lip service. The most that might happen is that sites like librechan and masterchan could be in trouble.

You guys are panicking, but literally everything is going to be fine for fucking now.

>It won't hit us just yet! lay down arms!

Do you want me to post my kike.jpg or will you do it yourselves?

I don't know what kind of narrative you guys are trying to drive here but any user can easily figure out you're lying here.

Well, they already turned the internet into a slightly more interactive TV now, so it probably won't be long until they constrain it even further.

It'll be sad, but let's be honest, at least we've experienced the golden years

what's truly sad is that people who weren't there for the golden years, and people who don't use the internet heavily are the ones calling for changes

Do you not understand what DNS is?
At the very worst some sites are going to have to change their TLDs.

don't jynx us even further

I don't know about them, but there is literally no alternative to the big 2 in my town.

This isn't happening. Quit being retarded

opendns.com
DNS is not an ISP.
DNS is literally a server with a database containing

[IP address] = www.website1.com [extra info]
[IP address] = www.website2.com [extra info]
x100000000000000

I want to hug Sue.

that's not sue :DDDD

Eh, i see now, tricky. Still, would hug

Reported for shilling.

If only having strong opinions while being complete ignorant of the subject was reportable.
I'll just call you a dumb nigger and leave it at that.

Threadly reminder ICANN, thus IANA, allots IPv4&v6 addresses internationally for ISPs to resell to anyone, including yours.[1] There are plenty alternative systems[2], if you choose to accept them. While a more practical approach would be to create a Mesh network with the [WiFi] devices you already own.[3] RINA will take too long to implement.[4]

Concurrent >>>Holla Forums656935
>>>Holla Forums656960 has it summarized.

yah forget 8ch.net is CDN'd by cloudflare?
You also need to tell your client that an IP address Cloudflare hosts the mirror of 8ch is a hostname for it, thus address domains and links for said IP address.

Do you have a dynamic host "editor"? 'Cause you are asking edit a text file for every new IP address Cloudflare spits you for a dns query for 8ch.net. You are also not considering Dynamic IPs, where TTLs are more frequency than a month.

Consider the following: X company can say infringing material is hosted by Y domain and list of Y IP addresses, and here's the subpoena to remove them; when X lives in Germany, and Y in Canada. UN would allow said request, even if the admins/owners are Z from USA.

Infringing material can range anywhere from contraband materials to hate speech, common case being "intellectual property": See T[I/P]P[A], WIPO, etc..

Now consider a more practical approach: wouldn't you want to have an alternative resource locator than DNS/IP?

wikileaks.org/wiki/Alternative_DNS

[1] icann.org/resources/pages/what-2012-02-25-en
[2]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_network_protocol_stacks
quora.com/Is-there-an-alternative-to-the-TCP-IP-model-that-does-not-utilize-the-Internet-Protocol-IPv4-6
techtorium.co.nz/alternatives-to-tcpip/
[3]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_Network
[4]irati.eu/education/

Considering the message at the top disappeared, are there any updates?

roll

Frankly its just the sites ownership not looking into things enough to know that nothing legally changes. Its going to happen regardless.

You'll still be able to pirate and funpost freely. The only people panicing don't have enough understanding of the subject to get that while it could be bad long term, the law would still have to change massively for it to be a problem.

This may mean more streamlined internet censorship in a few countries, but the us isn't one of them. The only things that may go goodbye because of this are sites like librechan and masterchan that host content thats flatout illegal in a bunch of countries.

Lawmakers, the un, people in power? They aren't worried about you funposting, they're not worried about your torrenting. These are things that get lip service to please voters.

Go read some un logs on internet censorship, some country will bring it up and it dosen't go very far. Countries will still be enforcing their own internet laws. Piracy? The un commities won't even have a sit down on the matter.

Please just review the facts instead of flat out panicing guys, don't buy into the hype.

That is the issue here though. Despite the fact that the US is not to keen on listening to its own Constitution, they have still managed to do a very good job staying the fuck away from the internet. Continuing to maintain jurisdiction over ICANN is thus likely to result in no change if the US remains in control. But we all know the UN isn't taking it from Obabo's hands just so they could hold it, the organisation has its own goals and considering what these goals are and their past behaviour, I am not too willing to trust the UN to not fuck shit up.
The UN has entire organisations devoted to fighting hate-speech, they even have an organisation devoted specifically to anti-semitism. If you think they wouldn't want to use it to do soft censorship on sites that they deem to be beyond saving, like fullchan, then you are sadly mistaken. They have launched anti-hate-speech campaigns before so I doubt they would magically stop simply because someone else half-way across the world doesn't want them doing it.

I already mentioned this in the Holla Forums thread you linked to, but the US can already do this, and they have done it before.

archive.is/fdqVs

Everyone's fears stem from the assumption that ICANN will fall under foreign control, but ICANN has been a private non-profit organization for 18 years now and aren't controlled by the UN.

Look, I'm telling you, the un commites on hatespeech and the like are more for the purpose of lip service. This whole idea that a bunch of websites are going to suddenly be closed for hate speech? Outlandish paranoia that doesn't match law or reality.

As much as there could be bad signs in the long term, I can bet you that a year, 2 years from now you can still call someone a flighty kike nigger here on Holla Forums and pirate to your hearts content.

There's literally no legal prescendce to just suddenly cutting off a bunch of websites worldwide, its frankly completely irresponsiable to act like there's any good indication that will happen.

You give way too much power to the fact that politicians spout ideas just to keep themselves in power. Look we should be vigilant, but it would literally be a major breech pf international laws to just start cutting off parts of the internet.

We're going to be okay guys, I swear.

You made be excited for a second you nigger.

It started on wc3 battle.net newfag.

le Epic Internet.

You couldn't make it moer obvious sholmo.

This is like a dream come true. One of the largest cancers in video games felled in one stroke.

I think it's because ISIS uses twitter to promote some of their videos since it's so easy to make a twitter account and everyone can your tweets if you add a hashtag to it .

You're all fucking retarded.

Russia is a single country and the Islamic Coalition of Countries is like five.

One of the biggest blocks of the organism that will controll the internet despises freedom.

If the UN manages to seize control over the internet this will not only mean the death of videogames as a whole, again, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation believes fun is haram, as it distends people from praising Allah 24/7, and should be against the law (Shariah Law).

But also everything that involves something that isn't completely islamocentric.

The OIC is the biggest voting block in the UN and no doubt the entity that will have the major influence in the new internet.

My suggestion, dump the sjwnet and jump to blacknet.

Does this mean I can't pirate anime anymore? I'm scared of what exactly this shit means for me in terms of pirating.

ICANN has registrant information, so they could fuck people up.

Unless you are shitposting, you the reason I want the west to fall

kill yourself

Hope you enjoy aids faggot

It won't affect pirating at all, it can result in being forced to visit certain "problematic" sites by IP though. You can still visit them but, for example, typing 8ch.net won't bring you here, you would have to either look up the site's IP in advance or find someone that knows it. It would also end up forcing you to go to each board and thread manually rather than just using the navigation bar.

And what do you base that on? It doesn't exist simply because someone else told you it doesn't?

pretty well prepared since there's no good online game left

I never said degenercy doesn't exist

Yeah dude, keep calling people shills and ignoring the points they make. That's definitely going to keep folks well informed.

Those of you panicking are morons. And easily mislead by your own paranoid delusions.

Sorry m8, misread. Still though, he does have a point, the internet being the wild west was the reason why it was great and it is fairly difficult if not impossible for the internet to be the wild west while at the same time free from degeneracy.

Not that I've fully bought into the whole 'we're all doomed' line but even if that's true they won't act immediately. They'd wait a bit say 6 months for the major concern to die down then change things a little bit at a time to prevent mass opposition. Salami tactics…

Its fine, I somewhat agree that the Internet should stay like the wild west but I am against porn

You guys forget the UN is in control of it now. And the UN are the zionist jews.

What day is this going down? What's the deadline?

opennicproject.org/

They have had a government stake, it hasn't been a pure 501.

The US is significantly better than UN in regards to speech.

shhh the right figureheads said it's bad so therefore it's bad.

The one real argument against ICANN is that it's dysfunctional as fuck. Like it's easily provable how awful ICANN is in that regard, but instead retards are pushing some shit that barely holds water

your mother.