Remember when games didn't spoon-feed you their controls through annoying tutorials and you would randomly figure out...

Remember when games didn't spoon-feed you their controls through annoying tutorials and you would randomly figure out some new technique halfway through the game? Anyone else miss this?

No.

Hi Arin.

haha no
what, are you playing those shitty old games lol

I do, though it depends on the type of game and if you're using a controller or not.

Member game manuels? Yes, I member game manuels.

Nintendo even added a game manuel in DVD for Super Mario Galaxy 2.

How many A presses does it take to do that?

DOES ANYBODY ELSE REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS BEFORE 9/11?

RTFM

No. Hidden game mechanics are the worst.

Only 90s kids will understand.

Does anyone remember the good old days before 1945?

Member? :D

Remember when games didn't spoon-feed you their controls through annoying tutorials
yeah, but a paper manual is at least like twenty cents to print. obviously spending dev time on a half-hour tutorial with popups is much cheaper.

The current general definitely spoonfeeds way too much, but more buttons and more complex systems without a doubt needs a tutorial of some sort. Just make tutorials skippable/fast to get through for experienced players.

Saying most games shouldn't have tutorials at all is autism.

Meh, I prefer to be told all controls beforehand.
Gothic 1 has weird controls, you gotta click or press ctrl and then press up to pick up an item off the floor.
G2 is weird too, you gotta hold left click on your enemy and then use w to swing (or A/D), S to defend but S also defends if you don't click the guy by jumping back.

Just tell me the controls ffs.

Dark souls 2 is also weird, jumping on a PC is really stupid.

yet autists hate it because its too fast for them

Why is RDR there? That game was legit good.

Ok :)

I loved opening and reading the game manuals of games I just got as a kid, shame most games don't have those anymore.

multi-layer bait

Why

Only Holla Forums really hates it because it isn't exactly like the old games or that one really good WAD they played long ago.

No, having to consult a manual I don't have because some shitheels kid took it was never a fun element. Having to buy a strategy guide so I actually knew the movelist was terrible too.

0.5X

It doesn't have to be exactly like the old games, it just has to improve on them.
It didn't.

I have been playing dark souls for the first time going in blind and I just found out there is a special light attack on right bumper that seems to be contextual
also I am stuck on lava spider trying to get past that since its the least difficult thing to fight past right now.
btw how the fuck do you use the dragon head you get from praying to the dragon past that hydra?

ever played a game where it has a hidden input combo and it's actually pretty good

It really depends on the type of game.
Something like a RTS I would rather be told as much info as possible, but in a racing game I just want to know whats the gas and whats the brake

Isn't this his whole job?

Entirely depends on the game. Confusing does not equal good

I also remember when millennials didn't shit on a game, because they didn't want to figure out the mechanics over hours of trial and error. But those cases go down in history as shit mechanics and shit games unfortunately, not as shit players.

i miss the smell of a new manual

This map led me to my first vampire stronghold

some of the control techniques weren't in the manual, you could usually complete the game without learning it anyway.

this was something atlus games used to be good about, despite their translations and higher price the boxes were packed with maps and little toys.

Remember when games
Remember games?
Do you remember
Remember video games?
Remember?

I remember, user, I remember.

V-v-v-video games!?!?!

Yeah actually
was playing one today
it's called BladeStorm Nightmare.

No.
This isn't a good thing.

i forgotti

Remember when life was worth living?

Yes.

id like to visit the west gash

No

Games don't even come with manuals anymore, just slips of paper explaining the controls and legalities.

Well..

No.

He's calling for help, can't you see ?

I didn't know you could dodge in Metal Gear Rising until I was halfway through Sam's DLC chapter.
I never used Ripper mode, either.

I rememer those. It was like they actually put love into it back then.

As a kid, it fascinated me to no end.

On my first play through of Dark Souls I didn't know I could lock on until after the Gargoyles.

If you have had a SNES then you can understand why it's foolish to expect anyone to still have his manual.

Remember when Gainax made good anime?
I don't

Souls games have always had this problem solved. They have messages that show you the controls, or you can run right past them and figure shit out on your own.