How do you guys discover new games that can't afford advertising?

How do you guys discover new games that can't afford advertising?
I've been using the steam queue for some time and then torrenting the games that interested me to see if they were actually good, and it's not a terrible way to do it, it's just that there's so much trash to wade through that I'm not even sure if it's worth it.

I went through 1000+ games and I only found a dozen or so that were actually good.
There has to be something better than this, any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

igg-games.com/brigador-free-download.html
igg-games.com/
skidrowreloaded.com/
thepiratebay.org/browse/401
rlslog.net/category/games/pc/feed/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't.

Find a genre and just lurk I guess?

Out of the dozen you thought were actually good, find the communities that talk about them and create mods for them. They usually have general discussion boards where they talk about other games they like. Also lurk Holla Forums.

I look at the recently uploaded torrents on BC & GG. If it doesn't have a shitty generic sounding name then I'll open it up and look at the screens to see if it looks worth downloading. Not foolproof though as I dismissed Ori and the Blind Forest as cartoony furfag shit and it was one of the better games I played that year.

There's no such thing as a good game. They're all shit.

I do the same thing you do OP.

Steam queue is trash.

Basically what you want to do is, at least for Steam
>Look through games, clicking on whatever title or banner art suits your fancy, with the following criteria(Over 90% positive steam rating if 10 reviews, >10 dollars, not early access(if EA and it has really appealed to your sweet spots keep it in a notepad or something until it's released)

That's for steam. Otherwise I like spending a few minutes on Play-ism or recent Comiket videos and seeing what might look decent to me and so far that strategy has not failed me.

If you'd like I can recommend some recent stuff, but you'll have to tell me what genres or types you'd prefer.

Often this will be misleading because devs and marketers will do just that: write a thoughtful negative review that focuses on minutiae that most won't care about while also naming one or two positive selling points that entice the exact kind of consumer who thinks he is being clever by focusing on negative reviews.

I normally just have some specific genres that interest me and lurk in theads, websites or communities that are interested in the same or similar genres. Sometimes, I'll even just get a recommendation from a friend, Twitch streamer or Let's Player.

At times, I've just stumbled upon something by lucky chance or after hours of research.
It just sort of hurts not being able to find an exact niche you need fulfilled, because this industry really only cares about shit like cinematic experiences, multiplayer, FPS games and open-world survival games with no fucking personality to their worlds. Instead of a immersive experience where I can live another life in a new world.

I almost wanted to strangle a friend who was praising ReCore the other day for being a video game that felt like a simple video game instead of a cinematic experience. Because he completely misses the fact he's one of the types responsible for the decline in video gaming, when he refuses to play anything before the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation or anything akin to a PS2 game. Especially a JRPG because he believes they're all numbers games and grinding simulators. Yet he still manages to get nostalgic over the Xbox 360 generation with shit like Overlord and Crackdown.

I'd like to give the new releases a benefit of a doubt and assume that they don't even have the money to shill, because after all they would be retards to sink money into that rather than actually marketing themselves.
For example there's a game called Brigador released this year, and most of the complaints were about the controls. Either being stiff, or shit. So I decided to give it a shot anyways because when it comes to controls I've got incredibly low standards, and what do you know, it's tank controls. and the game itself was pretty fantastic.

Crackdown I get, but Overlord? Don't get me wrong it's a fun game but it's barely that memorable.
Loading screens aside how is Recore?

The only thing I heard about that game were "bad controls" and it turns out it's casuals being casual. Should have known.

ReCore is one of those games that seems decent but it ends on a cliffhanger.

And yeah, the friend is really hung up on Overlord because he's an edgelord who never got over his edgelord phase in high school. Still has names like Ze Doctor, Undead Demon or Mr Demon. Yet at one point I spooked him by screaming in his face as he was coming around a corner at night while I was sleeping over at his place.

Another game series he's really obsessed about is Prototype and asks me why people aren't doing more games like it. And everytime, I have to point out how fucking awful Prototype 2 was as a sequel to that series.
I liked Crackdown myself, but it wasn't something that amazing as he makes it out to be. Just wish he would actually give what I recommend to him a chance for once.

Oh I misunderstood you, my bad. Still you'd probably get away with one fake review before sounding very suspicious. Usually when it comes to early access the trick is giving out free copies if they vote them up, so sometimes I just skip reading reviews(but not percentages, because if a game goes below 80% positive within 6 reviews chances are it won't be good.) to pirating the game and giving it a shot.

Give it a shot. You'll probably like it.
igg-games.com/brigador-free-download.html
Before you ask yes it's legit. If you need more convincing I'm sure the share thread will help.

What is it with TPSs ending on cliffhangers and not getting any sequels? Psi Ops, Advent Rising, Mega Man Legends, Oni, if memory serves I think both Gungrave and GunValk ended on cliffhangers too… and those were all some really fucking good games that deserved to be emulated instead of GoW's coverbased gameplay.
Tell your friend to try Hulk Ultimate Destruction, it's pretty much Proto-Prototype with some really cool powers.

That's an actually really good idea, thanks user

I guess this is pretty good too, lots of scrolling though

I just do it every couple of days, for like 5 minutes which is enough to go through 5 pages assuming an average of 10 games that interest you show up and you click and look them up.

However a big flaw in my strategy is that you can't filter out VR games.

There's like 200 released and unreleased VR games in total anyways, it doesn't really matter

I like to think that too but there's a surprising amount of them showing up.
It's even more annoying when a game doesn't actually require VR like Redout.

haha nice one

Word of mouth. Generally trusted friends or surprisingly often here. If you ignore the shit Holla Forums can be a good source of recommended games. The most recent I can think of would be Rule the Waves.

Also if you're going to use the Steam queue then at least filter all the shit tags ('customise your queue'). I suggest filtering the following:

Visual Novel
Walking Simulator
Memes
Point & Click
Tower Defense
Card Game
Trading Card Game
Movie
MOBA
Clicker
RPGMaker

You could also add VR and Free to Play but sometimes games get tagged as these incorrectly by retards and you'll miss out on them.

Maybe I like some of these things?
Not all TGC, Visual Novel, Walking Sim, Point and Click games are shit.

The whole point of this is finding good games that I might not know off, it would be pretty stupid of me to not give a shot to everything that catches my attention.

Then change your tags accordingly. It's really up to you.

I also have pixel graphics filtered despite there being a small number that I find acceptable. It's on the developer to advertise their game as something non-generic. You shouldn't have to wade through 99 shit games to find 1 gem. And Walking Sims are shit games by their very nature and arguably not even games at all.

By thinking of the game I want to play and seeing if it exists as opposed to relying on marketers.

Stay away from Steam. It's a spyware DRM playform.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING

That sounds extremely ineffective and like a huge waste of time honestly
Have you actually managed to find anything at all?

igg-games.com/
skidrowreloaded.com/
thepiratebay.org/browse/401
rlslog.net/category/games/pc/feed/

reported

I don't, and when I find a game that looks good long after its release I wonder why the fuck I didn't find it before.

I come to Holla Forums, follow niche non cancerous journos, check the upcoming, popular releases on Steam.
Dig up on GoG, Humble and Indie/ModDB

you should found a website that is for curatoring steam games and does weekly features of worthwhile and notable games. You would exclude ALL early-access and put them in thier own category ect. All the annoying shit of searching through Steam, you'd do it for people. It'd be very successful.

Holla Forums never talks about good new games

in here, or lewdgamer, or nichegamer, or just blind luck.

There's plenty of good new games, just none of them ever are played by people here