Why happened to Japan? Why don't they make good games anymore?

Why happened to Japan? Why don't they make good games anymore?

WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY MAKE GOOD GAMES ANYMORE?

>What happened to X? Why don't they make good Y anymore?
Normalfags is always the answer.

what the fuck was up with that sketch
that was meant to be a fucking comedy show and it dropped that shit out of nowhere

What to America? Why don't they make games?

Weeaboos and faggots that want "muh cute anime grrls" over gameplay are hardly normal.

Japs also want that.
They've developed the shittest taste in recent years.

Who occurred in UK? Why don't they make good games anymore?

If the Japs didn't want something it wouldn't be in a Jap game. The idea that a minority of nerds from a foreign nation have any effect is laughable.

funny how we're conditioned to blame the consumer automatically, instead of ya know the people making it.

people are told what to want, what to "demand".

Japanese people are more interested in character based media now. karakuta

All those games are shit, OP. Genealogy of the Holy War shits on any Fire Emblem after it

Is this what passes as trolling nowadays?

You forgot your fedora.

GEZZ I WONDER WHY

Fuck's sake at least post Thracia.

Haven't had enough of those

Japs make shit exclusively for japs to pass the time while they're commuting, or to escape reality.
Foreigners liking or disliking what they make is entirely unintended.
God, you're so fucking arrogant, I wish I could just punch you.

They'll never learn.

Fuck you faggots, play your spreadsheet simulators and/or generic FPSes.
That's all you're good for.

Fe6 is fucking trash.

Pic not related

Three posts from three different people, but the same shit copy pasted three times.

It's true though, fe6 is hot garbage filled with misses and terrible growths.

Japan still makes great games. Unfortunately they're either not translated or translated by feminists.

Problem is, games with alot of text require work.

Bad bait, FE13 Awakening was great and saved the series from the GBA shit

Superior SNES FE gameplay right here
Loved the marching simulator

What happened to the west? Why don't they make good games anymore?

Making video games became expensive, so all the AAA titles put marketing before everything else and appeal to the lowest common denominator with minimal risks

Consoles

That's historically been true, but isn't necessarily the whole of it. For example, Nintendo (Miyamoto, on their behalf) has specifically stated that they've changed perspective to take international markets into account, saying that we're now at the point where it's impossible to recoup the costs of making a AAA game solely in the Japanese market. This is mostly a bad thing.

Well he isn't wrong. Up until that point almost every game in the series had taken what the the previous games had done and built upon it. Aside from new graphics and support convos FE6 was a step back.

I envy your ignorance.

Silver Star Story was the shit.

I don't have enough smug to convey my smugness.

Nope, it's 100% PC's fault. Steambox and xbox replaced the real consoles

Visual novels may look similar to a telltale game, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to pander to anything not Jap.

They're massive pussies.

Everyone either wants to be a movie director these days or have bought into the false promises of casualization by journos who are terrible at videogames.

No.
Consoles.

The answer to this is simple. Stop making fucking AAA games, and instead focus on improving the quality of AA. Shit, the graphics quality of last gen was fine. Spend the extra horsepower of newer hardware upping the resolution, frame rates, and effects. Stop trying to make "realism" a goal to reach for in graphics, because it doesn't look real, and it just makes your game age like milk. Shit, quite a lot of PS2 era games still look pretty fucking good to me.

This is part of why I've been more into portable gaming lately. Less AAA cancer, and better games as a result. Shame the 3DS and Vita couldn't get their shit together nearly as well as the DS and PSP though.

No. PC.

I agree with you in principle, but it doesn't reflect the needs of the business reality. Nintendo risks being flattened by AAA cancer if they aren't trying to compete with AAA cancer themselves. They found a hack of sorts to get around this with the original Wii, by expanding to a completely different market/audience than who the others were targeting, but it won't work twice, since there's no one left to expand to.

Also, I'm not sure that Nintendo has ever once strived for realism. All of their games are highly stylized, and are some of the best-aging games around as a result. In fact, most of their games look and feel like AA games, with a focus on framerate and style, so I'm not sure what he was talking about, or where the money's going.

Good taste.

It's meant to touch your soul, too. That seems to be Sam's angle anyway. He's obsessed with genuine human connection.

There are many problems and it's hard to look at what needs to be fixed. Telling the shareholders and publishers to loosen their grip isn't going to happen. Telling consumers to stop buying games isn't going to happen either. The roots are just in too deep now. We need a fad that will push consumers to a new media and leave gaming behind.

As great as FE4 is, Thracia and the Tellius series are better.

The genius behind Fire Emblem left after 5, so everything after it was pure luck. 7, 8, 9, and 10 to some extent really weren't all that bad, 11 was terrible, 12 was alright, and 13 was clearly desperation, and now they have no choice but to be desperate otherwise Nintendo axes them. At least there was some redeeming factors in Fates.

Like?

conquest was actually sort of difficult, where grinding was almost useless?

Weeb detected.

Who cares if we aren't the natives?
You can still objectively judge that their taste is shit.

Japan is becoming a shithole economically, more and more nips want shittier and shittier stories that are equivalent to Twilight tier writing, so they can escape from reality, instead of actually fixing their country.

FE14 Conquest is the most difficult FE yet, owed to great maps, no grinding and the AI in Lunatic, unlike the irrational difficulty of Thracia)

Thracia may be difficult for beginners but has great maps, unit placement and the fatigue is something that must come back on future Fire Emblem games.

Also, Conquest may have good maps but FE12 has better maps in my opinion.

Conquest is great in terms of gameplay, the characters are better in the Japanese version but you're right the story is awful, in the Japanese and English versions.

The story for all Fire Emblem games are terrible and full of plotholes

Japan's been making plenty of great games these past few years. It is up to you to discover them!

AA games have suffered and today we're left with either AAA titles that put all the budget into marketing and visuals or indie shit. I feel this is the biggest reason for the decline of genres like JRPGs because making a large scale AAA JRPG would require an astronomical budget.

I now know how the SMTfags feel about Personafags.

Because Japan economy is in the shitter for a while and japs are massive jews so they are probably investing their money somewhere else. Also it doesn't help your gaijin whitu piggu gaming media demonizes and gatekeeps what can come to the west and what can't so Japs are avoiding more and more making games that cater to you

I didn't know it was possible to not know.

They do, it's either not localized or you've just never discovered some of the latest good games out of the assumption that it's all weeb shit. So it's partly your fault for not bothering to discover them if you haven't played a good Japanese game in years.

American companies bought all the studios and then closed them down.

In other words, they are dumbing down and homogenicing their games to turn them into generic skinner boxes

Back when Japs just cattered to Japs, their games where awesome, but one day they began trying to catter to the Western market and Japanes Vidya went to shit

I liked nipponese stuff cus it was full of ninjas, sushy, mechas, kaijus and all those weired and cool thing that came for so far away and form a place so different from here that they were exoctic, now that unique flavour they had has been homogenized into a grey sludge

Weebs like japs when japs are being japs, not when they are trying to catter to westerns

because mobile gaming is where the future is, user

Japanese games went to shit for the same reason anime went to shit.

They got fat and reliant upon Western money and the majority of the West could give a fuck about them anymore.

That and the birth rate is in the toilet.

CERO happened. That's why.

'next gen' & the wii happened. they fell behind on technology, then most of the aa/a studios died off while aaa became risk averse & obsessed with westernizing/casualizing their properties & not developing new ip. now the mobile market has taken over

naru omori did a good presentation on this last year. it's behind a paywall though

At some point, all Japdevs changed to this cutesy moe/idol shit, probably to appeal to a wider range of players.

Everyone started looking less and less real and more big-eyed, or less masculine, then the story changed to to become instant gratifications of everyone wanting your dick, or everyone wanting to dick you.

Fucking japs and the mainstream moeshit bullshit faggots who ruined japdevs

however you are applying normalfag logic

They make good games now too, its just that they have left your shit taste behind.

Do you though?
DO YOU?
Things will only get worse from here

Pic's story was acceptable for the most part of it.
Binding Blade and The Sacred Stones is pure shit.

I have never played SMT neither Persona, what are the differences between them?

It's a symptom of technology advancing too quickly. You can see other symptoms of this throughout our failing modern civilization.

We never should have left the 16-bit era. We weren't ready.

(this is going to be oddly spaced since I can't figure out how long paragraphs are with this small text box for typing but I'm going to try to not space it every line of text like reddit, also this box is very small so spell checking is to hard to do until I've posted it so expect mistakes)

Basic SMT history
SMT is a dungeon crawler where you recruit demons by talking to them and getting them to see your side, with a sprinkle of choices where the final boss and in some cases last third of the game is determined by your alignment.
Known for having good stories where you could effect the outcome with your choices and a very unique style for the character designs and demon designs from the artist of the game Kazuma Kaneko, who also helped direct points in the game's story and put great care into the designs of the demons he drew.
Also to some being one of the more challenging games in the JRPG genre for having it be made more around status and buff/debuff wars with boss fight and enemies which are things in other RPG's would be simply a bonus for the player meaning being simply a high level wouldn't always cut it for the user as they needed a balanced skill list in the team.

Now for persona.

Persona 1 and 2 follows an alt timeline from SMT:if, takes the same demons found in SMT and has them be only the monsters you fight but you could still talk to them so they can bestow you spell cards that can become personas which are like stands except persona users can change their persona.
It follows some Psychology about having multiple personalities and mixes it with tarot fortunes which comes into play w0ith characters starting with persona's of their arcana and even having bonuses for using persona's of close or the same arcana.
They were interesting spin off's to the series, delving into a different theme, following the story of 2 gods arguing out humanities metal and how they'd deal with suffering or being able to handle great power, with you being and the rest of the playable cast being their test subjects with the ultimate persona's in the game coming from pretty much passing the god who gave you your persona's test.

Gameplay is similar to a normal SMT here with a slight few changes here and there, but if you liked normal SMT games you could hop into these without much a change.

Then it's when you get to persona 3 and 4 where the major changes take place.
First off now your character has the 0Fool Arcana (or "0Joker" in P5) and is the only one who can handle multiple persona's while the main party has their set in stone one with them being upgraded as part of the story or doing something else I'll get into later and for your fool character any sort of the arcana's being worth looking into before using is gone you can use them all with no benefit / deterrent.
Gameplay becomes some 10-12 in game month slog where your character becomes some Fighting evil by moonlight and winning love by daylight sort of thing, you end your class session, then you can choose to interact with a fellow classmate or animal or milf in the area which the game determines can make a bond with and doing so gives you social links that power persona's that match the same arcana as the one you linked with and also going into the in game dungeons (In P3 being one large dungeon that changes every so many floors being like at total like 280 floors and in P4 being multiple small dungeons like 5-14 floors with maybe a set gimmick floor to in peed you for like 5 seconds) .

Combat like previous persona games with humans with persona's fighting instead of recruiting demons but now they're fighting some new enemy called shadows which have multiple forms but not enough that you won't see the same niggas throughout the game but with different masks on or coloured green this time, and now only you the protagonist has any sort of access to different movesets meaning you have you who contains a total of like 60 skills through persona's which you can change once a turn meaning any turn you have access to 16 skills while the rest of the party is stuck with the 8 the game decides they get (P4 pretends you're specing a moveset by letting you pick which gets deleted on them as they get more but you'll always just replace the skills that are just weaker versions of the new skills so it might as well have been automatic)
Bosses due to the in game timer limit are never made too hard as to have a risk of messing up with persona 3 being so easy you could get to level 7 within the first in game month and then get half way in the game until a need to actually level up again by shadows by living on Boss scaled EXP and getting persona's to your current level by taking stoles through the dungeon after the boss where you're 4/9 levels above the guard blocking the paths every 10 or so floors.

(continued)
Story is usually tied the in game timer to some event that rushed you to get to do something before it ends, in P3 being boss fights each full moon and in P4 someone was in the dungeon who would die when it rained which always exclusively came when a forecast said it was coming a month in advance, but you could easily prep with 20 days to spare so you do social links which when maxed out unlock an arcana's best persona.

But this in game timer is such an artificial way to inflate the game it's a joke, using it to level in prep gets you miles upon miles over leveled bosses and using it for S.links gets you a bunch of filler text of forming bonds with people which is much closer to seeing them talk about their problems for 8/10 S.link dialogues and then fixing it for 9/10 and 10/10 being them saying they thank you or if they're a girl how they want your cock inside them and even when ignoring it all it takes a stupid amount of time to push through all the days making the game time heavily inflated but thanks to it they can put "Lol look at this game it's 70-80 hours" when most of it isn't playing it's moving through fluff and playing it where you skip all this content quickly shaves 50 hours off of game time without speed running.

Dungeons now took one of the biggest hits, instead of being made like before they're now procedural generated dungeons with the exception of preset floors for a gimmick or boss fight, then to boot sometimes you could skip floors because you'd spawn by the next one, so those 280 floors in P3 are pretty much the exact same but with different level monsters in them, it's pretty dull when a game that game from dungeon crawler roots becomes a dungeon stroll, at least Mystery dungeon games offer like 30-50+ dungeons that can span floors above 15 unlike persona 4 with a larger variety in them to boot.

Game now only follows a set path, unlike persona 1 where there were two scenarios and persona 2 where you could change little things, you get to the last day and fight the last boss of the game with the only change is the when you're at the end of the last boss is the more people you maxed S.links with offer you more final pieces of dialogue, and Persona's instead of coming from demons giving you spell cards are now handed to you after winning fights with all out attacks (When you land a super effective or crit move you stagger enemies and doing it to all enemies does an attack where your party swarms the enemies for a major attack) or winning the fight with your main character, so persona's appropriately leveled for the area are just handed to you which you fuse to make better ones for the area.

Quick thing, P4G (golden) made rewards as well as persona's Spell cards which are skills in a can ( and not persona's ) you can add to a persona which are always scaled to the area, instant level ups for the persona you have equiped (which is where all stats past MP and HP is tied) and sometimes just a free stat point in one of the categories (with 3 of these being pretty much a level up), when I heard of this I played the game on the "Very Hard" mode only using the starting persona and by half way in I had a level 60 persona with 50+ in each stat and nulled it's own original weakness, this in the previous version would be some end game shit but this is just with the thing's the game has handed me.
All the very hard mode did was copy pasted hard mode but halfed EXP and Money (Like it mattered since you got free level ups) and Golden on top allowed you to play the system to get multiple rewards at minimal risk for basic encounters, you could get 3 stat boosts + another level up on top.

So now there's persona.
Now, this game's 3rd and 4th alliteration and it's changes especially social links lead the waifu crowd to it, they get to play their highschool simulation with a easy dungeon crawler on top that from the game time inflation is a minority of the game play and persona 4 through all these new fans who want this sort of game now made it less niche reaching over a 1,000,000 sales with it's 2 releases combined which for the company was more then they've gotten with any of their other in house games by miles, so what did they do? they milked it!

Persona 4 after itself got, 2 fighting games, 2 anime, a Rhythm game, multiple Drama CD's, multiple stage plays, even now selling the art for the tarot cards as their own thing now, and the vita release I previously went into making this one game pretty much it's own franchise and even the main character who was a faceless guy for you to project on is now his own character called Yu Narukami.
And persona 3 got similar but to a lesser extent this treatment too.

(continued)
Now how did this effect SMT now you may ask after reading all this shit, the more recent SMT games that came out being for mainline Strange Journey didn't sell as much or the Digital devil Saga series either, so what became of the franchise, the story became obviously influenced with the persona crowd in mind for 4, it gave the story a lesser edge, the dungeons became so much like the randomly generated floors in persona 3 and 4 by previous SMT standards they're not dungeons at all (he first shop in SMT 1 when you reach the 2nd hub world is more a dungeon then the whole of SMT 4 combined) and the biggest wound is pretty much the entirety of the post game was ripped out into DLC when it offers keypoints of information for the larger plot that goes on in the world.
The challenge in the game was also extremely hit for the worse as most who played 4 will tell you once you pass the boss at the 4 hour mark the game might as well play itself, you're MC is way to strong getting any skill his demons have to his arsenal and can spec his stats to miles beyond any demon of any level in the main game by level 30 and simply rushing through gets you to level 50 and this sort of easy difficulty carry's into final as well, the difficulty in final is so easy the shitty localisation team didn't trigger some dialogue and forgot to fucking translate it and refuse to fix this (I played final in nip so I can't specify what it was because I might have not got it myself or would be able to have spot it out).

Now another bit that is a big killer to the fans, Kaneko isn't the only one designing the demons now at atlus, they got some new designer who I don't remember the name of, this man gave in one good design which I bet was the Minotaur and from that got this job because he puts no where near the effort into researching what he is designing off.
And it would be fine to have a new artist bar the clashing styles if not for the fact that this new designer written over Kaneko's designs and some of them are the ones that has better design philosophy in.

For example
Kaneko designing lucifer, taking Influence from the human depiction being a frail looking human appearing so either a young frail woman, a child or an old man in a chair all with a distinct blond hair, then comes the demon form which has 2 designs, one being his bible depiction from when he was an angle and a darker appearance from him falling from grace taking a more demonic appearance
This new guys design, human form is some generic brown haired girl, his demon form is a fucking AYYLMAO alien looking fucker and in final since they can't have him not looking different now he's just a bold nigger to show him being more demonic.
Also look at the original designs for the Archangels and the new ones for a really good idea of the new artist just tossing things together instead of researching.

TL:DR Persona's waifu money killed atlus's interest in making SMT games and if they have to now make SMT games they're majorly watered down in content even if you buy the added content sold separately, you don't even get a bonus CD from them with their games anymore without shelling out the extra 20 (insert money here).

For an ending comment, I'm actually liking the look of Persona 5, looks like it's adding it's own fully designed dungeons and bringing back talking to demons instead of just being rewarded persona's so it might be a good back to form so IDK.

Yeah, no. That one's got the flattest plot in the series.

If you think it's good, I can see why fire emblem is dead now.

I think he means it's one of the least offensive in terms of how much a person can enjoy it without feeling disgust at asspulls, plotholes, and poor writing.

Compared to something like, say, Radiant Dawn, where the writing is so bad that it's practically fanfiction tier.

Because they are faggots who now only makes games about little girls and effeminate boys.

What is Mystery of the Emblem?
What is Binding Blade?

I have a better question: what happened to the world? Why is it only producing shit?

see and other people in the thread. Game production is stuck in two extremes: multimillion-sellers based on generic focus-grouped crap or "indie" promise-the-moon Kickstarter bait. Older games had to be reasonable about their limits (both computational and financial) so they demanded some optimization; nowadays you spend hundreds of millions on marketing or you call people shitlords.