Why would anyone spend money on a CRT when you could just get a game filter that does the same thing?

Why would anyone spend money on a CRT when you could just get a game filter that does the same thing?

They make filters that reduce display latency?

if you spend money for what in current year is considered obsolete garbage, i've got a bridge to sell you.

Because filters don't look like a CRT display

CRT tvs and filters are worse than chromatic aberration.

To be a consolefag and still pretend to have standards.

CRT royale on an OLED TV might be a good alternative to CRT TVs though.

HIPSTERS
I
P
S
T
E
R
S

that is lower than the limit of detection of the human eye?

Feels good not to be a faggot and not have to buy a CRT TV or use a sloppy filter on my screen.

Y-yall watch! CRT will make it's return!
I sure wouldn't mind.

Input lag is a meme
It's a display device, how the fuck is there input

I sure would love hdmi trinitron, but im dirty europoor not american so no luck there

is afterbirth+ ever coming out?

hipsters

(OP)

For one most CRTs are fucking free, and two memeshit like scanlines are the last reason to use a CRT. It's for that dank color-depth and versatile resolutions because no scaling.

This is fucking bullshit. You don't play videogames at all if you believe this. There are low latency LCD displays for computers that fit this category, but your average television has a fuckload of latency.

Oh look, some elitist prick that thinks people pay real money for these things outside of like PVMs and shit.

Shitting on CRTs has only been a thing for the past year and a half or so because a bunch of normalfags got triggered when /vr/ spilled over into Holla Forums so like the insecure underageb&s they are they had to tell them off when they have no idea what they're talking about. CRTs were the commonly accepted way to play these games ever since a debate was able to be made back when HDTVs came out.

CRT is bullshit and nostalgia fags are the worst.

I'm pretty sure Holla Forums came before /vr/ my friend, but otherwise you're exactly correct.

The difference in latency never had any bearing on your performance. Ever.

/vr/ spilled into Holla Forums after we all left 4chan because /vr/ is dead.

CRT isn't bullshit and if people were nostalgiafags they would be playing their games through composite or RF or some shit. Also don;t act like CRTs aren't discussed as a technology that's applicable to new games too.

Oh I gotcha, cross-site spilling. Makes sense.

why would you ever play vidya on a tv

CRT is just different hardware that handles display without pixels which is why a filter doesn't work on LEDs.

Nope, it's not the same thing. I have never found a filter that gets the "CRT look" perfect. Pics related, it's some obscure chinese game whose name I can't recall right now. Both emulated, actually: Genesis Plus GX for the Gamecube on a CRT via S-Video, versus Kega Fusion for PC set to "TV Mode (CVBS)" on a shitty LCD. Look at the blue porcupine hero, and the pillars next to him, and the HUD. Everything looks nicer, more vivid, more "real" on the CRT.

Up until the end of last gen there was a reason to own a console. The Wii was a fantastic console and the PS3 ended up doing a 180 on it's nogaems policy. Most newer games have been adapted in playstyle for high latency modern displays (which is one reason why games get more casual.) I have an HDCRT which still has latency problems because digital scaler but those colors are dank as fuck and I got one on the cheapo. Great for watchin anime too.

Jesus Christ user you're killing me.

I have a Flatron776fm crt. I got it for free. A monitor is from 100 to 500 euros. The monitor I have I got for free. That's a good reason.

The Wii was fucking great nigga. The Wii U is shit

Also I own around 35 games for the PS3, I don;t know what you're talking about.

I can't take any post seriously that says the Wii and PS3 has no games and then tells me to buy a fucking Pii U.

and? you sound like a whiny child who spent way too much on high end, way outdated tech. where's your overbearing proof that pro gamers do substantially better on CRT over LCD?

From the other CRT thread

Whether that's all worth it is up to you.

If that was the case then it would be impossible to play rhythm games on a TV.

Buzzword used to discredit CRT users.

Someone like CRTs? Call them a hipster & instantly discredit them.

I never made such ludicrous claims. Lots of old games that require frame specific input benefit from CRTs. Fighting games too.

There's a reason why games like guitar hero come with frame adjusters.

Enjoying your first day on Holla Forums?

Oh, wait a second. You made a post just like this with that flag before.

Let it be known if you see this retard with the triforce flag he's just being a retard.
And he'll probably ditch it now so just assume anyone checking tor IDs is a retarded shitposter

Because CRTs are fun!

You guys took his bait.

Just a reminder that poorfag lcd cucks will never know true patrician gaming and still think scanlines are just black lines you lay over an image

Why give him the benefit of the doubt?

He's probably just retarded, not some meme-master laying epic baits.

old mo'fukn stale ass bait 2 fam

SMFH DAWG

Mark, get back to work.

What's up with all the CRT hate? Nobody is forcing you faggots to use one or post on CRT threads.

usually happens the minute anyone mentions a crt thread, in another thread here the first like 8 posts were just shitting on crt displays. I think it's an nvidia shill campaign to get people to buy gsync displays to fix a problem crts never had: tearing

I will always yell at faggots that use the word "input lag"

IT IS A DISPLAY DEVICE AND HAS NO BEARING ON YOUR CONTROLLER INPUT

tbh fam da discrepancy can fuk w/ u goin from different monitors n ish if u playn sumthin competitive so is betta to jus have a standard u kno.

crt is superior tho dun git it twisted monica

Sure

Thank you for quoting the post where I realize it's bait and tell others to look out for said bait, to tell me I fell for the bait. What would I do without you?

input lag is just short hand for how quickly the screen displays a new frame. LCDs measure this in miliseconds, CRTs measure this in nanoseconds.

telling the truth isn't forcing you, it's telling you there's better options - which there are. If you have to settle, that's fine, but some people are interested in best possible.

bye retard. enjoy your shit tech

All my old console games look awful on an LCD and the input lag is severely noticeable.
LCDs are unable to scale properly with lower frequencies and scaling to a non-native resolution on an LCD causes more processing.

It's called input lag because it's the lag of the input from your controller being processed and displayed on the monitor.

Isn't it a matter of incompatible technology? I thought the thing was that many older games look like shit on modern displays because they aren't designed for them.

Are you feeling okay user?

Controller input happens at constant time between it and the game device. The screen just displays the console. It should be output lag, because it implies you can't do more inputs until they have been put onto the screen, which is grossly incorrect

tldr: gitgud at predictive inputs
You don't even have to, LCDs are perfectly serviceable

may b have one less dik to suk

u sweet

in a way, but almost all video games ever were processed digitally (when you get into analog games you're going back to the 70s, 60s, and even 40s, so that's a different story. Here's where the problem is.

LCD displays are a fixed resolution. Yes, even if you change your windows desktop to 800x600 and your display is 1920x1080, the software and hardware (drivers and graphics card) are reading that you want to render every frame at 800x600. So your display has its own video processing, which forces that 800x600 image to be blown up to the full 1920x1080 image. Otherwise it would be incredibly small on that display. This is best mitigated by the software simply outputting from a digital source to a digital display, less encoding, less hoops, less processing. Simply send image, put on display. Consoles may have games that run at 1600x900, but that's internal, the image it's feeding to the display is still 1080p. So there's no noteworthy processing display.

As you can imagine, all this processing by your display is making it take longer to render each frame of the image. This is where the input lag comes from.

Classic consoles which only had analog output are taking that image processed by the console and putting it on to a display that has no encoding at all. It's not the speed of light, but the speed of electrons.

Many developers used some of the traits of CRT displays to enhance the visuals of their games, either with 480i resolutions, 240p as a clever hack to 480i, steeper contrasts, composite video out to use dithering for smooth blurring gradients, etc.

Going back to what I said in the first line about games being processed digitally, some classic consoles have had HDMI mods, notably the NES, to allow direct 1080p output. They actually look very good.