Dat shitty translation

So, when does this get better than Final Fantasy 8? Because so far it's pretty fucking trash. Only good things are visuals and music

He's been in the city for like a day.

It doesn't.

It was all about the visuals and how it felt like playing an anime. The only thing i personally enjoyed were the boss battles.

How does he know everybody there then
Doesn't SOLDIER train in midgar?
There's even a flashback where he talks to tifa and tells her he's going to midgar

See what I mean when I say the story makes no sense

pls dude, i played this crap more than 18 years ago and i remember pretty clearly that he left pretty young to be a soldier and came back years later all grown up and not even his childhood friends recognized him. And the city had gone thorugh a extreme make over because of the new technology.

If you are going to play some shitty story cenetred game, at least play attention to it, you fucing casual mongoloid.

Sage because jrpgs are cancer

I know you're baiting and you're too stupid to even perceive the differences between basic character stereotypes but gimme a break.

Also 8 a shit unless you consider the theory some user postedcin which Rinoa plays everyone like a damn fiddle.

Bad translation makes for a worse game, I mean that's just having standards

Well, I know there's a fan retranslation patch for the PC version (which eventually saw a variant made for the PS1 original) that might alleviate that, but I'm not sure how good a patch it is since I don't see it brought up much.

He's not in SOLDIER and never was. You're gonna get everything spoiled if you keep asking questions.

Didn't he go to Midgar to become a grunt that wears the blue uniform though?

What's this?

I'm pretty sure the grunts train at Junon, but he probably signed up in Midgar.

There's also the fact that his mind is totally fucked up, that could necessitate re-learning some stuff.

Well OP's game is completely spoiled now; he probably though Aeris dying was the big twist everyone talks about.

"This guy are sick"

Except it says who is speaking and they all have enough uniqueness to their dialogue and character that you should be able to who is talking right away unless you are borderline illiterate

Well that's pretty clear

Yeah, you can buy materia, but a lot of the good materia you have to do sidequests for and are hidden. Same with the ultimate weapons and limit breaks

It's an animu game on the PSX what do you expect?

I guess I can agree with that to an extent, but Kingdom Hearts didn't fucking exist at the time so the bosses were pretty fresh looking

How about you beat the game first and then talk to me about the story

But Cloud never went to Midgar from what I remember about Crisis Core

Squall's bad ending where he gets lost in time means Rinoa's final success.

I seriously fucking hope not.

It's kinda okay. It fixes some things and changes other stuff. I know I'm being vague, but it isn't a direct improvement (aside from objective things like typos) like you may be expecting. There's parts rewritten and such which may or may not be accurate. I only played a few hours of it, though, so a lot that I know about it is second hand knowledge.

Well, yeah. But I still have a soft spot for Woosley and Working Designs's rewrites, even though I wouldn't support that for new games. Fixing typos, grammar and mistranslated names? Off course.

Holy shit.

How does this theory tie in with the one that Rinoa cast a simple glamour/love spell on Squall at the ball just to get him to dance with her and anger Seifer? It certainly fits the motive.

holy fuck you're right, she even admits that she cast a spell on him.

Wow, even the zanny fan theories about this game are boring as sin.

Its just a theory

A GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYME THEORY

Cloud grew up in Nibelhiem and then decided to join SOLDIER as a young adult. He spent an unspecified amount of time in the army, but he returned to Nibelhiem during his first field job, along with Sephiroth and Zack, and was involved in the Nibelhiem incident. He got impaled, he got dropped into a vat of Mako, and he pretty much lost his memory due to the acute poisoning and shock. He doesn't know anyone in Midgar except Tifa and AVALANCHE, and he doesn't recognize Tifa at first, he only vaguely remembers her. Most members of Shinra wouldn't associate with a wanted group of fringe "extremists" that go around making statements with gunpowder and lead, meaning there's no one from the army who'd recognize him either.

Everything else you've pointed out is pretty much true. So what? Game's not perfect, but that's what gives it its charm.
No, you nigger. You level up your current Materia until it hits the max and then it'll spawn itself. In addition, if you just explore, you'll find more than enough Materia to get you through the game.

If true Rinoa would be a 10/10 villain and the VIII would rise through the ranks as a game.
Though my favorite villains are the meme villains from VI and VII.

Lots of reading.

I'd pay for a Beth style RPG in Midgar, other than that Final Fantasy VII has a cool soundtrack with a few nice tunes and loads of nostalgia.

Final Fantasy was never good but you could enjoy it I wouldn't mind seeing a good western JRPG with good western writing, story and detailed world building and a whacky JRPG setting, D&D combat as well, I'm not big on Baldur's Gate but I like that the combat scales well between hard battles and easy battles.

I can understand where he's coming from.

The bethesda style is good at letting you fuck about and meander around in a world. So if the setting itself is interesting, good, and something you like, it could be fun.

Obviously not touched by Beth, or Square-Enix

It would be baller as all fuck. Midgar was the best part of FFVII.

Fucker, if you think FFVIII is anything but bad, then you will never enjoy a decent RPG. Just stop.

It was mediocre, FF8 was worse. FF9 and FF5 are best

FFVIII is what he typed. That is FF8.

I could've sworn he'd typed FFVII.

Kill yourself.

8 was and still is the best FF ever made.

having high hopes for 15 though.

I enjoyed the game exactly due to the bad translation. Half the time I was laughing my ass off. I kind of wanna try 10 for the same reason. And the music is pretty good. I'm not interested in the remake of the game either, I'd rather have cheese over serious.

Which ones?

Well at least we agree that everything afterwards is shit. Except for maybe IX.

mediocre for what it tried to be (it tried to be 6-2)
very boring
fun as fuck before Wings of the Goddess, it threw the whole game upside down by raising the level cap above 75 and literally making all the gear the people worked so hard for useless, it was the beginning of the end.
2nd best next to 8
shit until you reach the plains, then its a grind, the sequels only made it worse
it had potential, but they released it too early, it was content-less for a long time in which they had no subs and then, instead of making content for it, they decided to shit it all up and copy WoW with XIV-2, now its pure generic garbage full of wubstep and people play it because they're retards.

V is great, maybe 3rd best in the series.

You still haven't finished the intro and you are bitching that you don't know everything about the story yet?

Maybe Uncharted will be more your speed.

6 bored me to tears and I much preferred 9's general way of doing things.

OVERRATED and nostalgia.

Welcome to the Evangelion of JRPGs. It's literally the only JRPG most people have ever played.

IX wasnt garbage but I pretty much share the same opinions otherwise.

Why the fuck did IV get ported and remade so fucking much

How do a FF dare to be light-hearted for the most time and focus on great characters and humor?

Look how many replies you got! I guess ur mum is proud.

Except IX is the most grimdark of them all.
My problem with it is shit characters and overall blandness of the story. You can predict things from hours away.
Oh and something about the combat felt off. I liked combat in 7 and 8, but didn't like 9 one, even though it's pretty much the same on paper.

I still think that the best FF combat is X-2 one.

i never went back, fuck 4.

FF9 is slower than NES ff1. It's just such a fucking bore to get through the combat.

I can see it to be the case, I was half asleep for the first 2 discs, and then just forgot this game existed.
It was very boring for all sorts of reasons. I guess I kept playing just for Garnet's ass.

I love the game but fucking abhor that cinematic introduction for absolutely each and every fight. It's part of why I want a proper remake rather than a retexture with an iOS port.

I never understood why anyone liked her…or why Squall did.

She did nothing but cause trouble, and wasn't anywhere near as adorable as she thought she was (or the game tried to have you believe).

Seconded.

Quistis WAS an infinitely better choice than Rinoa.

Wow, Final Fantasy is shit, who knew?

She's 3DPD in 2D form.

I hated the romance that started in disc 2. Squall was a better chracter when he didn't give a fuck.

The NES one is pretty shit, yes.

Back to your containment board.
>>>/r9k/

I didn't even know we had an /r9k/ until last month and I've been here for over 2 years. Is it even alive?

please no

It's alive so to speak.

kill youself

Well, entire ff8 plot and story make sense when you find out FF8 was designed after teen angst shows popular in japan at the time. Hell, ff8 was essentially Life is Strange injrpg form. So any user trying to find any meaning in ff8 are fucking retards.
Fucking Bullshit! I have to live with a cousin who talks the same fucking way as the people in LiS. Her friends too. Might as well say sjw/feminists don't speak the same way in college.

Oh I hate life is SJWs like most people on this board. I know about the whole teen angst thing, I just hate how unbearable Rinoa is. Quistis is a much better woman.

So how does that explain all the FF8 characters growing up in the same orphanage and then somehow forgetting about eachother, even when they didn't have GFs junctioned at the time

Didn't they all mention having experiences with GFs sometime in the past?
Except for Irvine who just went "I knew all along, was just waiting for someone to notice LOL"

I never saw this. No spoony bards here!
CLOUD: …. ….. …. …. ….
he can't remember shit. This was explained at the beginning
which ones?
this was made in fucking 1997. what do you expect?
see above
4/10
keep playing

I don't know what game you are playing, but the entirety of the first run through midgar was 10/10. It gets a bit shit when you reach the overworld

sage for troll

She took control. Squall just wants to be left alone, but someone forced herself in to his life and he decided to accept it.

Yup.
Selphie found one at random on the beach.

Your description is spot-on.

Quistis is so much better. She fucks up her responsibilities, but accepts that she's not as good as she thought she was and learns from it. That and I have a thing for older looking women glasses and women with whips.

It is. Even if it isn't is a fact that Cloud was around Midgar while he was a common infantryman. It is also a fact that his mind is all fucked up, and it was explained why in both Crisis Core and FF7, so yeah, the fact that he needs to relearn stuff is there.

Maturity. Such a thing isn't popular in today's mainstream society–Rinoa would fit in perfectly.

I really wish they did more with Quists, it had way more potential. 8 is so disappointing on every level besides the item refine system.

They really should have–she was far more interesting (not to speak of tolerable or even likable) than Rinoa.

Regarding FFVIII itself, I spent so much time on it that I turned the timer red (it's what happens when it loops around past 99:99). I loved the GF/Junction system, and–if you ask me–there's never been a better Bahamut design before or since VIII.

Triple Triad was garbage, though. Tetra Master was far better.

Yeah a lot of the monster designs were good. I can say that much. Junctioning was just way too exploitable early on and they should have done equipment along with it imo.

This

Junctioning was a fixed version of ff6 espers.

GF system was more organic and scaled better

The biggest problem with the GF junctioning system was that it required you to have stacks of magic for greater effect which meant enemies often had to be pretty weak so you could siphon from them until you got the item refinements, and the fact that the leveling system which shouldn't even be there is tied to your level which is almost entirely separated from your stats. Another reason was that casting spells that you had junctioned would weaken you, and you couldn't have two stacks of the same magic on a character. It may have worked if it was altered, but as it is it's one of the stupidest most tedious systems I have seen in a game. It just doesn't work

I get that you like mature women with whops, which is pretty masochistic if you ask me, and I particularly liked Quistis more than Rinoa, but that doesn't really mean Quistis is a good character, is more like Rinoa's character is so terrible that made all the other characters likable I like Selphie better anyway.
It have nothing to do with immaturity or fucking up" personality, because there can be characters with those traits and still be likable, like Rikku from FFX or Selphie herself, is just all the traits Rinoa have are just plain bad, like mentioned.

I always hear that Rinoa is a bad character, and never understood why back when I played FFVIII. After playing recently is evident why,but she could have improved if she changed during the damn game like Squall did, but she didn't and Squall did, which was actually bad.

The characters and music made me feel.

BEST GIRL

This.

I knew it was going to trigger some Lighting fag.

>>>/furry/

If you increased your magic stat, you could absorb more stacks at a time from enemies.

Well this seems more like a subtle case where you pick stats or the effect. Or just grab other shit.

monster girls are not furry dumbass

I like the theory that Squall died when he was impaled at the end of disc 1. But none of the theories are enough to save the fucking awful writing and character development in 8. It's bad even by FF standards, which isn't great to begin with.

The only tiny scrap of hope I have for the remake is that we might get to see some of the 75% of Midgar you never traveled to in the original FF7. That's the only single positive thing that might come out of that episodic trainwreck.

They are

I don't remember this, when was that mentioned?

I think she's the best female character mostly because she's humble.

That's the problem with being underage, OP, you didn't play this when it came out so to you it just seems antiquated.

The art designer who made Final Fantasy VII later went on to make Kingdom Hearts, kid.

IT'S JUST A PRANK, BRO

Gone sexual.

2 out of 2.

user, you probably will never explore Honey Bee Inn, what makes you think you'll be able to explore most of Midgar?

Crisis Core and in-game, he knows Tifa for a lot of years, same with Barret.

0/10

dubs

I told Squall to go through time to kill off Ultimecia and he did it, the absolute madman!

Cloud has known Tifa since they were kids, which is a major plot point. When does it say that he's known Barret for more than a few days? Their relationship seems to be strictly business. Cloud doesn't seem to give a single fuck about taking money that's for Marlene's schooling.
Every time.

Crisis Core is definitely canon.

Well I am assuming OP is talking about midgar which im pretty sure cloud clearly said he never left the shinra building, everything else was niblehem.

Yeah, but he doesn't remember that, or at least not like it actually happened, and Tifa doesn't remember either.
But you're probably right, since FFVII Cloudis amnesic of sorts it doesn't matter if he lived there before, and there is no sign of him living there for more than a couple of days.

I pity you fools who weren't there for the launch of Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid.

Even mom & pops vidya stores were crazy with merchandise, cardboard cutouts, toys. And the playstation had expanded the vidya public to about 10X its former size.

All you have, in comparison, is to preorder and end up fucked by lying SJW devs.

Cloud basically crawled his way to Midgar after being left for dead near the top of the ledge, next to the most assuredly dead Zack. Tifa noticed Cloud wasn't all there anymore, and to have a reason for Cloud to stick around she introduced him to Avalanche. Where she was confused was during the Nibelheim flashback, because Cloud was wearing a helmet and so no one could recognize him. From Tifa's point of view, Cloud was never there yet knew what happened, mostly.
That's all from only FF7. I don't bother counting Crisis Core and all those other things, since they constantly screw with the story.

Are you sure that it's not you who has the mako poisoning, user? Cloud remembers his childhood correctly, but his involvement with Shinra, and the events of the Nibelheim incident are conflated with Zack's. Tifa remembers everything correctly, including the events of the Nibelheim incident (from her perspective, anyway,) which is why she knows that something's wrong with Cloud when he describes it after they get out of Midgar. She knows that he's not the one who showed up with Sephiroth on that day. He actually did, but his face was covered by a Shinra grunt mask. He didn't reveal himself because he was ashamed.

>>>/reddit/

I remember most from Crisis Core since it was the one I played most recently. What said sounds correct, though any of that have to do with Cloud living in Midgar for a while, I mean, how much time passed since he was almost dead to the beginning of FFVII?
Crisis Core doesn't mess with FF7 story, it's just a prequel.

Haven't you heard the news OP? There's a mod that fixes the translation, you dumbass
Just be thankful you aren't playing the spanish translation

Now that is a dumb thing to say

I'm gonna guess that the turks for VII and Ultros for VI

I don't think it's ever mentioned. I'll assume it was 7 days since they sure love that number. 7 months seems too long.

It's worth noting that there are elements of Cloud's retelling of the Nibelheim incident which aren't present in anyone else's version of the story, and give a clearer picture about the "truth" of whatever actually happened there. Even if Cloud's account is unreliable on the level of perspective, he isn't making anything up, meaning that any details that are only present in his account of the story are things that actually happened, but only to him.

Sephiroth only ever mentions anything about visiting family and friends in the area when there's a faceless grunt standing next to him, who's the real Cloud. Cloud remembers visiting his mom on that occasion, as well as going to Tifa's house and playing her piano, which Zack wouldn't have known about.

On the truck ride there, one of the grunts mentions that he has motion sickness, which Flashback Cloud (Zack) claims he's never had. The real Cloud has dealt with motion sickness in the past, which is why he knows advice on dealing with it to give to Yuffie, suggesting that the grunt with motion sickness is the real Cloud.

Flashback Cloud also mentions that Shinra gave him new materia for that deployment, that he "can't wait to try out," but in Crisis Core, Zack is never given anything. In VII, during the fight with the dragon in the flashback, Flashback Cloud has no materia. However, later on, when you get control of him and can explore Nibelheim, he suddenly does, despite you never having equipped it. You never have any particular reason to check your equipment during the flashback, but if you do, you'll see that you have a Pre-Emptive materia equipped. This is the only version of the story where it's seen, which suggest that it truly belongs to the real Cloud. In all versions of the story, it's Cloud who manages to sneak up and stab Sephiroth in the back with the Buster Sword. This would explain how anyone, let alone a Shinra grunt, managed to get the drop on and mortally wound Sephiroth.

According to the timeline, Zack dies in late September, and Tifa finds Cloud working as a mercenary in the slums (Zack's idea) sometime in October, where she invites him to live with her and work for Avalanche. The attack on the reactor in the game's opening is on December 9th.

How the fuck do you manage to retain all that information? And they say that KH story is hard to understand Which is not true

Because I'm autistic.
Correct, but it has become progressively more convoluted.

It's STILL shit when you hit Gran Pulse, what're you talking about? Only difference is you decide your party and can level up jobs outside of each character' main three, which no sane person would do since it requires a ridiculous amount of points. Everyone says the game gets better at Gran Pulse but that's a goddamn lie and I don't know why it gets parroted.

It gets the hard to understand wrap because people didn't play or do everything in the handheld games.

Initially I wrote them off as typical side story shit, then KH2's beginning made no sense to me.

REMINDER

You do not need to make BAIT THREADS to have good threads on full/v/.

This is not cuckchan, there is no second to second need to fear your unbumped thread to fall off the last page and get pruned.

Take your time, make good threads, all shitty bait threads will be reported and removed.

REMINDER

cool beans

How would you make FFXIII better, user? I think it's only fault is being linear, like literally linear, little to no exploration, but other than that, the gameplay is solid. Say, if the game had an overworld, you could revisit loations, and so you could farm your other classes, it'd be a 7/10 at least.

Although that's true, the story itself isn't complicated. Even after playing FF7 and Crisis Core, things like what said usually go over everyone's head, at least mine.

What were they fucking thinking?

This is all just pass-pulling unless someone can find a source, but the way it was told to me is that when Square put FFVII on the PlayStation instead of the N64, Yamauchi was the man in charge, and he was fucking pissed. Basically, he denied any Square games to be on Nintendo systems. Seven years later, after their merger and they became Square Enix, they wanted to start releasing things on the GBA, but still couldn't.

They were in luck though, because Iwata had become CEO by that point, and ultimately, a deal made was that they would be allowed to release things on Nintendo products again if they came up with a Final Fantasy game that pushed the GC/GBA link feature extremely hard. This is what Nintendo needed at the time, because the GBA was extremely healthy and keeping them afloat, while the GameCube was still selling like shit.

Supposedly, FF:CC is actually a Mana game that was in development at that time, but when they learned they needed a game that fit those requirements, they filed off the serial numbers, made it fit the demand, and called it a Final Fantasy. This is supposedly also why there are so few of the consistent Final Fantasy elements that are in other FF games, which by my count is a small handful of item names and monsters.

But again, I don't have a source for that. Pics mostly unrelated, but definitely the best way to play FF:CC, as a result.

That's the accepred story behind CC, and you know, the wole idea isn't that bad. You use the GBA to manage your inventory so you don't fuck with other player's time. I really fucking like CC, shame I never had anyone to play with.

Immediately, as the battle system is actually good.

In all seriousness, FFVII has one of the more easily comprehensibly "full" stories, as the twists never diverge from the central cast.

To find out Sephiroth is going to eat the world isn't that different from finding out he was going to kill everyone, on the other hand, finding out the King of Baron was working for Golbez who is working for the moon is a bit more complex.

It is a bit obnoxious, though. I hated having to worry about the battery life of 4 gameboys. Not to mention that the original GBA had no backlight. It's annoying to have to look up and down even with something as well-developed as the Wii U's gamepad. PSO, which had splitscreen multiplayer on GC, handled it well enough, just making it so pausing it fills your region of the screen and doesn't stop anything, but the perspective of FF:CC mostly prevents using this method, as to give the high angle camera that's needed would have required larger TVs than most people had at the time, and probably would have required 480p output, which didn't come standard.
I hear this from almost everyone I've spoken to about it. You should try at some point, if you can. It's fun. I had two brothers and each of us had a friend or two with a GBA, so we always had a full or nearly full party. It's not perfect, though. You don't get a moogle, so somebody has to be on chalice duty, and you can't fuse your own magic. You have to time casting with other players, which works on a musical beat system. It's tricky to do in the middle of high-level combat, but on the plus side, there are stronger levels of spells than you can use in single player.

I can understand that since you're trading a shit-lot of very useful and capable power (and a sword with fucking Death as an on-attack spell) for the purposes of "muh light" storytelling, and because you start all over at level 1 as a Paladin you have to climb your way back from the very top all over again. Given the choice I probably wouldn't trade Darkness for low-level white magic and Cover either.

Also Yang, Cid, Palom/Porom's sacrifices not really having meant anything since they just came back later. Kain's your nigga, though, even if he's brainwashed for most of the game, and introduced Dragoon as a job right alongside Dark Knight. Paladin was introduced in 3, off the top of my head, though those remakes of 3 released to the west replaced it with Dark Knight and Darkness.

Cecil does level up ridiculously fast as a Paladin, though, and his stat gains end up being way higher, too. Plus he can actually equip a wide amount of items.
FF4 GBA was the best version, why the fuck didn't the DS one have the Lunar Ruins?

I feel the need to play this now. Dropped it back in the early 2000s and never got around to playing it again.

That's true that Paladin ultimately ends up having more potential than Dark Knight, though your initial class change is enough of a kick in the teeth that I fully understand most people being put off by the change.

I was thinking the same thing when I played it. It's blatantly ripping off Kingdom Hearts.

Not with that broken ATB system it wasn't. Fuck Tose.

I was a PC fag in 1998.

When videogames were good.

user…please. How about you take a break? You are babbling.

Are you mentally retarded, OP?

When the most optimal way to play the game is to let it play itself through auto-battle, that's BAD. The linearity is also a severe issue. You may as well just load one enemy battle after the next. And that the party fully heals after EVERY encounter.

Considering how the only salvageable things are the music and environmental art, re-doing practically everything else. Story, character arcs, level design, mission structure, that stupid "if the leader falls game over" design decision. One specific decision would be to have characters talk outside of cutscenes about events and their environment. That would be to alleviate cutscenes weariness and avoid the issue of having too much relevant exposition in the codex. Like the Active Voice system in Trails of Cold Steel.

Son please. Linearity is but ONE issue among many.

I have never had a problem with linearity, you've been spoiled by open world shovelware user.

Yeah it surely must be the other user's fault

What?

Are we both speaking of Final Fantasy XIII, or are you just being retarded, because the hallways of XIII up to and after Gran Pulse were fucking terrible.

Oh you have multiple IPs, whelp like I said I have no problem with linearity and I think you're spoiled by too much freedom in mediocre games. No comment about the other stuff.

What are you on about?

You think this is "muh open world"? Nigga, I have NEVER encountered linearity like FFXIII in ANY other JRPG I've played. I've only seen shit like that in CoD story mode. It's actually fucking astounding. How worthless it makes walking through the world.

why are always the shit series in their respective genres that stays alive?

fuck this entire universe.

But both FFVII and MGS came out on Windows.