Is there anything that feels like Quake Arena with a more consistent online life...

Is there anything that feels like Quake Arena with a more consistent online life? I missed it in its glory days and only recently got around to playing it. I absolutely love it, but I can barely find a game with more than one person playing.

Other urls found in this thread:

qlstats.net:8080/
steamcommunity.com/id/ika_
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Quake Live
Doesn't matter what you all think about it, it's still the only arena FPS with an actual player base.

No.
All us old FPS players grew old and tired of the genre.

All that's left are perma manchildren neckbeards that cling obsessively to their youthful days, and their numbers aren't enough to sustain any meaningful playerbase.

Things need to die, Holla Forums.
They're born, they run their course, and then they die, this is the natural order of things.
Do you know what happens when things don't die when they're supposed to, Holla Forums?

Modern TF2 happens.

Why would you want to play that shit?BF1942 is soooo much better and still alive.

sucks for those of us late to the game.

It looks a little slower than what I'm after. Also, there seem to be a couple servers but most look empty.

this, the former glory can not be re-attained it's best to let it rest

Reflex if you're EU and willing to buy into an early access title

Trends change but some things are so classic, so established, and have made such a mark on history that they are destined to regularly make a glorious reappearing.

Take for example: the classical Greek style of architecture. After the Rococo period, with all of its excess, a palette cleanser was much desired. Architects turned to the Grecians for inspiration and the resulting Neoclassical style made such a mark on history that greatest buildings in Washington D.C. are designed in reverence to history's greatest philosophers and civilizations.

First Person Assfaggots may give way to a more cancerous subgenre as the Baroque gave way to the Rococo but that will only make the re-emergence of the classical arena shooter that much more astounding.

ftfy

I want to believe, but I've lost the ability to believe in things.

There's really no other answer.

Old FPS player here. I play Overwatch.

Quake Live is the most active arena shooter out right now, hands down. Other shooters have smaller playerbases, but generally enough that you can find a match most of the time, although you can't be picky about your ping or what kind of match it is, which can be a deal breaker.

Your best bet is to wait for Diabotical or Quake Champions in 2017 and pray they revive the genre to popularity levels better than what we have with QL right now because if those two don't pull through I strongly doubt the genre will be coming back in the remotely near future, if at all.

Doomseeker always has some users and the mods are downloaded automatically, the community is really friendly too.

Fuck off. Why would I ever get tired of good games? Why would I prefer the shitty ones we have now over it?

What a bout Xonotic and Unreal Tournament 4?

I don't play either, but I hear they are both a thing

Xonotic is dead. Last time i tried there were less than 10 active servers and one of them had a fucking ponyfag with his horse character model running around, cancerous as fuck. Too bad really because the game is pretty solid.

UT4 is amazing but it updates so slowly because half the dev team is being forced to make a shitty MOBA so now the game only has about 4 people working on it.
Epic should realize how many people were hyped for the casualized Quake game. They would be just as hyped for UT4 if epic put a bit more resources towards it and advertised it.

Xonotic is a thing because Holla Forums wills it to be.

The NA scene is almost completely dead. Holla Forums is probably the most active server out there in general that isn't some bullshit instagib+hook server. That being said, it's an arena shooter. It doesn't matter how alive or dead a game is if you have a few other people to play it with, and the server gets a decent enough amount of people fairly regularly.

I don't know shit about UT4. It's probably less dead than Reflex, and you have maybe a bit more choice in fights, but I don't really know for sure. And as for Reflex, it's alive enough that you can usually find a fight, although you can't be picky about it (be that ping-wise or game-mode wise or opponents-wise).

Quake Live has the biggest playerbase and it is similar enough to Quake 3 to give you that fix. Unreal Tournament 99 probably has the second highest playerbase. Anything after this is unfortunately dead. Reflex you can get a game going but likely with the same people all the time, Quake 1 you can get a game going if you sit in a server for an hour maybe, Unreal 4 as is is pretty much a botmatch with maybe one other human (maybe on release this will change), Toxikk just went free2play and its playerbase went up to 200, Tribes Ascend has a considerably large playerbase actually but its fast in movement only with slow braindead potshot combat outside corridors, I think Half Life 1 probably has a lot of players I should check soon, Teeworld has at least 50 players pretty often, Xonotic can be pretty populated, Warsow you might find a game of 6 players in your region

kill yourself

Quake Live.

That's gotta be dead since it stopped being f2p.

If anything, it has more players now.

It's the most populated arena shooter out right now, by a noticable margin.

Pretty much anyone that played it at some point for free on steam got it, for free. So it's functionally still free since it's not like anyone would start playing quake now.

QA is great but everybody jumped off when Counterstrike and others started appearing. Why? It has a steep (and weird) difficulty curve.

In most games, once you start getting gud, the differences with other top line players start to get smaller… not Quake though. They only get more pronounced.

It's the best

Quake III could really benefit from a stat tracking and matchmaking system. Like (I think) Halo 2 had on XBL.

Does Quake Live or any other arena shooter do this?

Quake Live has that
qlstats.net:8080/

oh and Quake Live uses elo for balancing so its like a matchmaking system just user governed (shuffling teams will auto balance by elo)

UT2015
It's free

it would be ut'17 at the soonest

This.

And if someone is outclassing you, there's no way to turn it around. No alternate strategy, no mind-games, no tricking your opponent. It's just so "pure" as an fps.

CTF was a game-mode that had so much potential but all the maps were terrible.

what are you talking about? a lot of games are comebacks where the underdog wins from ambushing, sneaking, better accuracy, positional control, there is a lot of potential to use different strategies and comeback, you are just bad

Same. I was really into rtcw and et but Splash Damage literally can not stop fucking up.

I play casual games on QL, but I do need someone to play quake 3 with

Its hard to find people to duel

steamcommunity.com/id/ika_

honestly though arena shooters were never that great. most people just like them because of nostalgia.

wew

I still play them. Its like something I cant get enough of.