LAPD becomes nation's largest police department to test drones after oversight panel signs off on controversial program

LAPD becomes nation's largest police department to test drones after oversight panel signs off on controversial program
After months of often-heated debate, a civilian oversight panel Tuesday signed off on a yearlong test of drones by the Los Angeles Police Department, which will become the largest police department in the nation to deploy the controversial technology.

The Police Commission’s 3-1 vote prompted jeers, cursing and a small protest that spilled into a downtown intersection just outside the LAPD’s glass headquarters — evidence of the opposition police have faced in recent weeks as they tried to reassure wary residents that the airborne devices would not be misused.

The use of drones — or “small Unmanned Aerial Systems,” in police-speak — has become a contentious issue for law enforcement in Los Angeles, where the nation’s largest sheriff’s department has flown one since January.

Advocates say camera-mounted drones could help protect officers and others by collecting crucial information during high-risk situations or searches without risking their safety. For many privacy advocates and police critics, however, the drones stir Orwellian visions of unwarranted surveillance or fears of militarized, weapon-toting devices patrolling the skies.

LAPD brass, along with police commissioners, tried to ease those concerns by promising careful restrictions on when the drones would be used and strong oversight of the pilot program. Weapons and facial-recognition technology will also be prohibited.

But some critics said they could not trust the department to follow its own rules, no matter how stringent.

“Mission creep is of course the concern,” said Jim Lafferty of the National Lawyers Guild Los Angeles. “The history of this department is of starting off with supposedly good intentions about the new toys that it gets … only to then get too tempted by what they can do with those toys.”

latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-drones-20171017-story.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kiPSy6f7-Vc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is being ignored

>(((drone advocates))) say camera-mounted drones could help protect officers

eventually theyll be overhead flying autonomously 24/7 recording their assigned sector. you wont get away with anything.

What LA really needs is hellfire drones.

This hasn't been brought up yet? Consider carefully: What's the connection between this and those mysterious towers that (((conveniently))) fell out of the news cycle with Vegas and Weinsteinbergowitz?

Just fucking shoot them down.

A pellet gun could do the trick. A paintball gun. Doesn't matter, how the fuck would they ever tell who shot it down as long as the person wasn't a complete idiot about it?

In reality this will just end up with more niggers and spics getting caught in the act. Just like with body-cams. Why do you think the LA Times and all these spics are kvetching about it. I don't have a problem w/ it Anti-Faggots will get BTFO with their bullshit tactics.

If I was a police officer I'd want one.

Very useful for SWAT teams and busting drug traffickers

In a better timeline the populous would have revolted against the government already..

You don't have a problem with a kike run government tracking your every move? Because it'll bust some niggers? Fucking hell.

This is Los Angeles we're talking about. As long as this is a city thing and spooks don't get ahold of it I don't have a problem. It's not like they're already tracking our GPS location through cell phones and "selfie" cams or anything. Drone batteries don't last very long anyway. We're already too deep into this with traffic cams, helicopters and the like.

please kill yourself

This. They can't keep them aloft 24/7.

Everyone should be aware 24/7 total surveillance of an entire city is already a solved problem and requires only one drone

youtube.com/watch?v=kiPSy6f7-Vc

why would you fly a helicopter into critical situation when it costs loads of fuel, technical expertise, and human resources for situational surveillance when you could fly a rechargeable drone that costs like $2/day in electricity to achieve the same goal?

I can see these morphing into a fleet of drones assigned to track an individual 24/4. lock onto a cellphone signal and when ones runs out of battery power it will be relieved on station while another one assume it's duty. picture tens of thousands of drones, monitoring the city, issuing tickets via email, to cellphone text, as you roll through a stop sign a drone swoops down, detects your cellphone IMEI issues you a ticket and fly's away. Each drone could be responsible for generating $500,000 in ticket revenue a year.

So. when can we start mounting large weapons onto consumer drones and building a weaponised force?

almost forgot, all while providing free WiFi tracking, monitoring, observing, nearly if not quite god-like. step outside in your back yard at night and take a piss, you're ticketed. Fuck I'm having enough of a problem with being paranoid that's it at times interferes with my life/thoughts using this website. Holy shit, think of the crazy homeless people thinking they are being tracked by drones int he sky and it'll be true. It's bad enough now with Faceberg, Joogle, and Twatter when they won't allow me to login unless they have a hard IP address, no VPN allowed without verification, otherwise it's a friendly account verification process to unlock my account.

All because the Joo's felt we needed 60,000,000 un-American immigrants to fund the corporate economy.

Currently (ie: promises they made to get it passed that may be broken later):

If they do, then I'm moving in with the Roof Koreans tbh.

Faggot

sorry, but:
1) very poor
2) live in beltway bleed, hebrew-filled, lawyerland

I'm sure those towers are completely unrelated goyim

As a former resident, I'd much rather have a drone unnecessarily hovering over an incident than a noisy ass ghetto bird. Fucking hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of fuel are burned each month so these cunts can buzz back and forth across LA for no fucking reason.

another one rationalizing letting things get worse
so youd rather a drone do the work that people wouldnt do when their lives would be at risk to do that work

>youtube.com/watch?v=kiPSy6f7-Vc

I feel like ive seen these on clear days while flying in the NE US.

Retard. The LAPD once let an AI predict where crime was going to happen. It was so accurate that they put it out of commission. You can't have funding for your APC tanks, grenade launchers, drones, and all kinds of arsenal without the niggers. You think that drone is to help you retard? ZOGBots are looking to kill you off. Don't say anything, you're a neo-Nazi pedo from a terrorist imageboard.