What are some true 'classics'? By classics, I mean games that are fucking legendary by their genre...

What are some true 'classics'? By classics, I mean games that are fucking legendary by their genre, and set the standards for the future. I'm talking about shit like Deus Ex, System Shock, etc.

You know this is how it will go.

Either way, Castlevania SOTN is truly a classic video game, combined two previous classic games into one and spawned countless sequels and clones and "spiritual successors" and shit.
It easily stands the test of time and, while undoubtedly having flaws, it's still very enjoyable and engaging game that would be a great pleasure to play by both veterans and beginner video game enthusiasts.

What's the point of drawing a cute girl if you're going to have her limbs attached? Eyes still in their sockets? What's the point?

A better question is why you'd want it any other way

I'll segue into a legitimate response

Half-Life games probably set standards for FPS games

in a bad way

-Doom
-Build Engine trilogy
-Thief
-System Shock 2
-Super Metroid

Starcraft, for better or for worse.

Still the highest rated video game of all time niggers
Yeah yeah, we all know you want to be contrarian cunts and say this shit was overrated as fuck, but it had a significant amount of innovation that deserves its mention

Our base is under a tack.

What innovation?

dynamic camera system?
Early example of an open world?
Mounts?

"Anyone who makes 3-D games who says they’ve not borrowed something from Mario or Zelda is lying" -Dan Houser

fucking guro fetishists

Not as good as Undertale though.

Well original Zelda got its formula changed a lot but platformers are still pretty much Super Mario.

Kek, not even close, Nintenkiddo.

Whether you love or hate the game, it very clearly set the standard for ASSFAGGOTS and I think there is no other game with the tactical depth of current patch Dota 2. Yes I know about all of the flaws like the retarded control scheme and RNG, you don't need to make a 300 word long post about them.

Pac-Land was also the first game to have double/multiple jumping

fuck the control scheme though

You idiots do realize the original Mario Bros. arcade, where Super Mario Bros. takes a lot of gameplay elements from, was released an entire year earlier than Pac-Land

Hell, if we really wanted to stretch it, Dankey Kang came out in 1981

Both of those were limited to single screens, though

Wrong

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it wasn't incredibly influential to the genre.

It wasn't even if I liked it.

I do blame more of it on Assassin's Creed and GTA III though.

What does that have to do with morrowalk "setting standards"?

Nigger you don't know what "influencial" means, protip: it doesn't mean your favorite game

You want something that was heavily influential to the genre? See pic related. Zork, released between 1977 to 1979 for mainframe computers. There WAS some computer games with RPG elements that predate Zork, like Dungeon, released in 1975, which in turn was an adaptation of Dungeons and Dragons. But Zork is influential in the sense that it literally spawned the RPG genre.

Morrowind didn't start that you dunce. Open world games with RPG elements have been a thing since the 1980s. 3D open world games have set precedents long before Morrowind. Even GTA III was most likely inspired by "Mario and Zelda [on the Nintendo 64]" if Dan Housers words are anything to go by

The size and detail of the 3D world. There were plenty of open world games with worlds that were significantly larger, but Morrowind's was pretty much all done by hand and I can't think of a game before it that really was able to come close to it in that sense.

There are varying degrees of influential, and I was saying exactly what you were with "it doesn't mean your favorite game"

Only one aspect of Morrowind was influential which is what I wrote above, but that aspect was certainly influential and set the standard for the physical layout of open worlds. I also don't think Morrowind is nearly as influential as many other games, I'm just defending the person that posted it because it's still influential even if it wasn't that significant.

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean.
It's clear that you're just another morrobabby, buttblasted because your fav game isn't as hot as you thought it was.

Yes, procedural generated mountains and invisible walls sure set some great standards
But that is factually wrong. You can even tell a lot of it was fractal generated
I don't consider modern TES or Fallout games true open worlds

I'm sorry cap'n, but I can't see the fractals here. Maybe you tried to say algorithmically generated, but failed at trying to appear smart?

i win

I love this fucking game tbh.

The map is based off of a heightmap definitely crafted by a human and the layout of generic shit doesn't look or feel generated, although generating and then combing over would have been sane for a lot of areas.

No it really didn't, and the maps layout is shit, but it's saved by the games world building and lore, I honestly can't stand Morrowinds map design, Skyrim does a far better job every day of the week, and I can critcize Skyrim for days.

Thief might as well be the only game in its genre.

cute rabbit girl

What? There are other good stealth games

I came to post this one. Glad it was the first posted. It's incredible that after it's success only itself and the following Castlevanias are truly "Metroidvanias". I really want to play something similar, with item collection instead of just Power Ups.

chess set the standard for shit game balance for eons to come

Deus Ex and System Shock didn't set the standards for the future - Call of Duty did.

Name five.

It's called an immersive simulation, user. It's what Deus Ex, System Shock, etc, are. It is indeed quite a rare concept.

Modern Call of Duty bleeding mechanic came mostly from Halo CE, is basically the shield mechanic minus the actual health,

Does the game still have infinite buybacks and late game still revolve around getting your carry infinity money for chain buybacks?

Anyways, I'll use Planescape: Torment as my example. It's definitely not the first of its type by a long stretch, but its release clearly marks a before and after for cRPGs in general: that story and writing have to be a big part of the cRPG experience.

Baldur's Gate 2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, KotOR, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights, Gothic, Pillars of Equality and that other cRPG that's supposed to come out soon-ish that's touted as being a PS:T spiritual sucessor.

Urban Chaos.

There were non-scrolling platformers before Dankey Kang. Why do Nintendo fanboys think Nintendo invented everything?

Tenchu
Hitman: Blood Money
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Escape from Butcher Bay
Headhunter

They popularized them, that's different, and that's why they're classics.

They are only popular to the Nintendo fanboys, at the time of their release their arcade games were rather archaic and shallow compared to their peers.

They popularized them on consoles, not on arcade, in fact, there weren't a lot of popular platform games on arcade before, say, Donkey Kong. Name 5 platformers released before Donkey Kong more famous than it.

Same with Super Mario 64, not the first 3D platformer, but it set a standard for 3D platformers and collec-a-thons.

I've never played deus ex, neither watched gameplay vids.
I have it bought it for £2 on steam 3 months ago but never played it.

I've seen redpilled videos from it.
Is it good?

This spawned the survival horror genre (iirc) and set the precedent for how games should be made.

Overrated and nostalgia factor is strong with it.

Depends what you define as good game, but sure, it's worth giving a shot. Devs tried to create a game that would give you directions how to do certain things, but they thought about

So you almost everything that could be done to keep immersion in game was done. I recommend it

Had my first playthrough around June this year, so no nostalgia goggles

With Ace Combat, all three of the PS2 games could qualify, I just posted 5 because it's my favorite.

Because you can have sex with those body parts too.

The peak of the genre for 2D fighters and 3D fighters respectively.

Third Strike and Alpha 3 were better.

first started playing it last month so no nostalgia speaking here:

it's one of my favorite games ever and I'll be replaying it for a really long time. It's slower paced and has a lot of attention to detail, so be observant and take it slow. Stealth is satisfying, voice acting is cheesy and entertaining, and the story is intriguing. The world is surprisingly realistic, in a scary way.

Don't expect something that'll leave a strong first impression. You need to give it some time to warm up and get really immersed in its world. Once you acclimate and it 'clicks' you won't be able to tear yourself away from it - at least that's how it happened with me

Not even close, the only capcom fighter that comes close enough to KoF98UM's quality is Vampire Savior.

mario 64
idk fam
daggerfall

is literally jus lttp in 3d.

soul calibur wuz a classic fa sho

dat been gone fo a minute fam shit go on cooldown nao

can't play dat shit no mo tho tbh