Let's talk the glorious, and perfect display technology - CRTs! Gone are the days of input lag...

Let's talk the glorious, and perfect display technology - CRTs! Gone are the days of input lag, terrible quality at non-native resolution, and imperfect handling of images. Only if you go back! Back to the days of CRT. It may take a bit of time, a bit of research, and a bit of money, but there's no denying gaming has never been better than on a top quality CRT display!

BVMs, broadcast monitors, PVMs and heck, just standard consumer trinitrons and whatever you got. Lets talk about and share the glory of CRTs.

If you have any questions and want to get back into the swing of CRTs, feel free to ask!

Other urls found in this thread:

x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2016/Program/xdc-2016-hdr.pdf
panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Multithreaded_Render_Pipeline
web.archive.org/web/20140719053303/http://www.altdev.co/2013/02/22/latency-mitigation-strategies/
blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/latency-the-sine-qua-non-of-ar-and-vr/
gdcvault.com/play/1022943/Fighting-Latency-on-Call-of
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You’re an autistic faggot. You’re the Ambassador repairman of video game technology. Get with the fucking times.

oh someone's huffy he doesn't have scanlines. Don't worry, you're always welcome to check out how great my games look on my BVM if you want to come by. Pizza's on me!

Eye cancer to be precise

You're either delusional or a hypocrite.
Or both.
Either way kill yourself.

ah, truly the mark of an inexperienced man. Come by, let me tell you about BNC and SCART.

CRTs are cool and all but you sound like an autistic faggot. I'm getting the impression that this is some kind of strange bait, like you're attempting to make people associate CRTs with fedoras or something.

Crt is the superior display tech. But its damn hard to find pvms in my country i had to settle for high quality pc crt

Owner of 2 CRT TVs here. One I grew up with is currently rotting in the basement, while the 2nd, a Panny in awesome condition, is my current gaming monitor.

I like preserving technology in general (R.I.P. Slim PS2), so I also have a high-end Panasonic plasma from 2010. Being a collector satisfies my autism.

You haven't seen anything until you've played on a 1000 line 16:9 $1500 studio monitor.

it was a bit difficult to get my BVM, shipped from across the country, but it was absolutely worth it.

as far as PS2's go, I prefer the fats. I'll be getting an RGB scart cable and hooking it up to my BVM soon.

I've seen this, gorgeous footage. My dream is to own a 32" BVM-A in the future.

This

Retards who want to be retro and hipsters think they can just use any cheap-ass department store CRT they saw their neighbor throwing out

I use a Commodore 1702 Video Monitor myself, not sure the specs of it (probably not as good as that Sony PVM) but it still looks significantly better with older games than any other CRT I've used. The picture is free of noise and its so crisp you can get every last detail

I actually own the same model monitor in that picture. Sharpest 240p Image i've ever seen. My only issue is it doesn;t seem to do composite, but I think I can install another card for that.

What really messes with my autism is I can't do RGB on my PS2 and then pop in a DVD without switching all my cords. The PS2 won't do DVDs in RGB for some reason.

I will never game on those 90's walls of CRTs linked together. It's sad.

I don't use my PS2 for DVD playback, but I can see your issue. Maybe there's homebrew software as an alternative?

Also, seeing umihara kawase makes me want to look into a SNES solution. Love that game, but I promised myself after the Saturn my next project is getting the PS2 setup to it, and possibly next N64 but that would require RGB modding.

Lastly I think I'll get a nice gen4 and older emulation box running on it. Maybe just use my xbox and run emulators from that, handles everything gen 4 and older just fine.

Not a fan of CRT but that does look damn fine

I got a consumer trinitron. How's picture quality using an emulator off a Wii connected via component?

Is there any point in bothering with a CRT set if you're not planning on ever buying 8-bit and 16-bit consoles?

I mean, is this worth 40-50 dollarydoos?

You guys are like those hipster faggots who listen to vinyl and wear cheap suits to look "classy".

What the fuck? These things look like microwaves.

explain

Imperfect geometry. Bulky as fuck.

I want to live in a world where old CRTs somehow require a cointelpro to discredit them on evil racist anime boards in the middle of the night.

oh, you can't tweak your geometry? Well, enjoy your dead pixels and shit black levels then

Sometimes I emulate snes/nes and use USB snes/nes controllers and use a VGA CRT monitor.

Get on my level.

Regardless, i have a CRT but i don't know how to output the audio so i use a Tube TV to play Sega CD games and BIOS on my Wii through emulation and i let it on as background noise because i don't watch the boob tube.

step in the right direction, but many PC CRTs don't give decent enough prominence to scanlines to produce a good image. Natively doing RGB output is a big bonus however. Just hope you're running those CRTs at 240p resolution!

Fucking normalfags need to piss off and do what they know… whey and roids.

Usually run them at the full resolution so usually 1024x768

Most of the time I run old games on my 1920x1080 LCD at the full resolution because I hate stretching on a widescreen display.

Honestly I really could give a fuck less about nostalgia. I play games because they are fun or I enjoyed them as a kid and if they are actually still fun.

Just picked up 2 PC CRT Monitors that were liquidated from the government and never used. Still in box. Dell M782s.

I hooked one up and the color is fantastic. I mean it's almost absurd how much better everything looks on it. I've been playing my 4:3 shows and games on it and it's beautiful. Would recommend anyone to get at least one good CRT hooked up to their PC, you won't regret it.

I only wish I had a widescreen one since I played Gurren Lagann on it and visually it looks gorgeous compared to my CRT.

This is a big point, you won't be getting scanlines out of a PC CRT since their resolutions don't go that low. Still, you'll get superior colors/glow effects/blacks then you'd have on your LCD. And old-but-not-too-old PC games will look great on it.

What's so great about scanlines?

240p games were made with Scanlines in mind, and games look much better with them. I'm sure there's a lot of technical shit about them that I'm forgetting but the basic gist is they look nice.

just hook the RCA cables into speakers. Get a RCA female to 3.5mm female and plug in standard PC speakers and bang, audio solved.

Would love to get a BVM-A24E1WU for a 1000 line widescreen output, I've yet to watch any anime on my BVM-D14H5U but like other sony BVMs it can easily switch between 4:3 and 16:9 out.

I've actually found that there's a refined experience from playing the games at their standard resolution - still a CRT is a huge leap in the right direction.

I'm just saying I have the same monitor. Curb your autism.

Yeah, fuck Refrigerators!

That man has ascended normalfag territory. I doubt anyone here knows more about AV equipment than him.

Lucky. All the CRTs in my area get destroyed by mexicans for the $2.00 worth of copper inside them. I'm voting for trump just to make retrogaming easier in my area. Chicago is a game wasteland due to all the mexicans buying everything up.

if one of the main criticisms of people using CRTs is they are bulky or heavy I have to question whether or not they are absolutely retarded. Yeah, they're kinda large. I hope you don't live in an 8x10 room. Some of the best CRTs are even as big as 16"x14"x26". How horrible. I hope you don't live in an environment that makes storing that and accessing that difficult.

Also, what a bunch of cretins. Get literally any job instead if you need money that badly. I really don't think the requirements for mcdonalds are too high - even if at best you may make like $140 a week, it's still better than breaking fucking crts just for cigarette money.

see webm

SAGE

I've never seen a woman project her insecurities as hard as your bitch ass did right now.

Stay delusional

jesus fucking christ how many dicks has that guy had in his ass to sound like that?

2/10 bait

found a nigger that doesn't know what he's talking about

A high grade LCD will always be better than CRT for new games.

Most games nowadays aren't even built with scan lines in mind. Current tech isn't perfect, but it's way better and more clear than what we used to have. At a much cheaper cost, size, and clarity.
What are 1ms displays? Most of the people that peddle this bullshit would probably never notice the difference unless you were emulating which is bound to create issues.

modern consoles don't even have analog out you dumb fuck no shit

…do you know where you are?
This thread is about older games made before LCDs, not new fucking games meant for 16x9 HD displays. Look at that fucking game in post you quoted. Does that shit look like it came out on an 8th generation console?
That's your reply. Fuck you.

:^) not an argument (^:

And a High Grade CRT will always be better than a high grade LCD.

LCDs have only recently come close to CRTs in terms of quality. The only reason they phased out CRTs is because they're cheap and small. They have inferior quality, cheap build, poor colors, and don't handle lower resolutions as well as CRTs.

they don't handle anything but their native resolution well because the way they are designed is they have an exact number of pixels in them and anything less is the screen just estimating and resizing the image that is output to fit it to that exact number of pixels. There really is nothing you can do. Upscaling 240p content is fucking cancer, and 480i lol no scanlines

I object to that! I bought pic related and I managed to set it to 240p via graphic card setting overrides. Let me see if I can wrangle a pic.

beside playing old games, watching old anime, and being a melee tourneyfag what benefits do CRTs hold? i really love the look of models like the upper one in but since i mostly play 3d games it feels like it would be a waste just for the nice aesthetics

that looks like a crt

nanoseconds of input lag vs miliseconds of input lag. It's literally better for any kind of game.

Do you play/emulate anything 6th Gen or older? Older 3D consoles look great on CRTs.

i still play my ps2 semi often (enough to not put it in storage) so maybe if i had the space i could get a nice little model just for that

i was under the impression that around 7th gen games started being made with HDtvs in mind, i think new consoles don't even have CRT cables

new consoles don't have anything but hdmi, wii u still does analog out, but it's still less input lag. hdtv's were just acceptable for 7th gen and up, anything older is a joke.

I wonder why? Oh, it's because CRT are fugly as shit for modern games and games made for HD look like ass on old TVs.

Except that there are people in this very thread that believe CRTs are superior in general. What a bunch of hipster faggots.

I play on PC specially so I don't have to deal with this shit. I have a CRTV for my modded consoles, but I'm never going to use one for anything made in the 2000s, or even late 90s for some games.
They don't handle low res as well because they were built with high res in mind.

Yes it is. Not a mac, just the studio display that goes up to 1600x1200.

Here's some samples at 480 (ignore the black bars there, I forgot to set it to 85hz)

I thought it was a meme, but gave CRT a try (for 15 bucks for the apple display) and blacks are actually black. That was when I saw there was more to them.

this sounds pretty great, especially when watching animated stuff

although i've noticed even on my computer monitor you can tell real fucking fast when the studio used real black or not.

low light scenes in modern animes area consistently trash because there's always an apparent filter over what's just the regular color palette instead of using black

Yeah like I said, it's not perfect. Newer IPS technology fixes some of the issues but I'm still hoping for a more permanent OLED or a new format to really fix our problems.

I actually am looking forward to new techs, it's just that the jump to LCD/LED traded off aspects of quality picture for portability, hence we talking about CRTs. Here's a quake pic, it doesn't do justice to how spooky it can get.

And another older RE2 in Dolphin pic from a better camera.

My nigga, I do this just for the higher res texture packs despite having the PS Duelshock version.
That looks pretty good I don't have a CRT monitor just TVs.

Mostly for text I might add.

It depends
A high end professional grade CRT will be crisp and not have any of the issues that plague consumer-tier CRTs like noise

So you can argue LCD displays are more "crisp" than cheap CRTs, a high-end CRT will beat any LCD at dynamic range and sharpness

That said, CRTs do consume more power, take up more space, and are heavier than LCDs, so of course its going to be impractical to use CRTs as your main display, as a secondary display you keep around for superior quality they're great to have though

scanlines also produced a noticeably darker, more contrast heavy image. Computer CRTs don't effectively reproduce this.

the lack of scanlines in this makes the image appear less than ideal to me. Also it doesn't help you're filtering 64x64 textures. The Saturn remake may be nothing to write home about but there's still a lot of fine qualities to observing the same assets in a scanline environment.

Yes, it's not e3m4 but I didn't realize it until I got to the room I thought it was. MM8 is complementary, just for comparison to a 2D game, maybe?

I dont have anything fancy. But i keep my old Sony Trinitron around for playing light gun games.

what kinda inputs does it have?

e3m1*
my quake cred betrays me

a bump for mexicans stealing copper

And wallapaper
and table
and consoles
and games

Pretty much any console from the Wii and before had many games that benefit from having a CRT. Standard Definition consoles have a lot more input latency when they have their output converted from SD to HD.
There are even some visual enhancements that even PS1 era games have thanks to they way CRTs work. Check out the main menu from Metal Gear Solid, for instance (unfortunately I don't have any screenshots).

Even with hardware tweaks it's only an approximation.

Is there a buyer's guide or modder's guide for CRTs?

From personal experience you want a Sony PVM (Professional video monitor) or a Sony BVM (Broadcast Video Monitor). There's other RGB tubes out there, but sony's were the top of the line.

Other tips

Don't go over 23 inches (generally). These are basically giant lightbulbs, & the larger the get, the higher your chance of running into geometry problems becomes (a circle won't be a circle, a square won't be perfectly square, etc)

CRT resolution is measured in lines. My $1300 BVM ($1500 now?) is 1000 TV lines. For each line on a tube you get thicker scanlines, & with that you get a sharper picture.

The Bare minimum where scanlines get nice is 600 lines. 8-Bit systems like the NES however are TOO sharp on anything over 800 lines. That's why I own a 600 line PVM & a 1000 line BVM. One is for really early consoles, the BVM is for everything else.

Is anyone following any of this?

What kinda shit do you play on the BVM? was the $1300 really worth it?

Considering it's slowly going up in value & mine is one of maybe 300 that still exist in working condition? Absolutely. The thing is paying for itself, & I had a retired Sony Technician from California calibrate it for me. It's so precise & sensitive I actually have to point it west or the earth's magnetic field distorts the image.

Right now I'm playing through Breath of Fire 3, but being 16:9 & supporting 480p, 720p, & 1080i, I can feed it with pretty much anything.

F-Zero GX in 16:9 in progressive scan is a sight to see.

You also have to understand that it was built to military specifications. It's going to last me the rest of my life.

I love this guys youtube channel. He's a really good teacher

I would argue that scanlines on older 3D games are actually just as important as they are for 2D titles. They act as a natural anti aliasing filter. If you were here in person I could show that off, but it's hard to prove without you seeing it in person.

The upper one is a PVM-20M2MDU. I bought it new off eBay in 2006 for $160. They go for $300-$500 USED now, so I would get one now if you plan to, otherwise you may never own one.

They're not getting any cheaper.

The super high end ones are, but that's a moot point since so dew still exist.

Whether that's all worth it is up to you.

I got a screencap for future CRT threads.

the very first stage of mgs benefitted from composite filters. Genesis, saturn, and PS1 (mostly konami) made liberal use of dithering effects for composite video on CRT displays. RGB out makes the dithering visible, but it's a very good trade off. RGB video is tremendous.

I really can't argue any of this, you're spot on. PVMs and BVMs are outstanding. Some NEC PC monitors do RGB, so if you're ever running through some yard sales or thrift stores keep an eye out for monitors like that. You'll absolutely recognize a

P/BVM once you see one in person.

That is fucking CLEAN.

What light gun games do you play, user? I've got a setup running Time Crisis 2 in my living room, it's bretty gud.
I hope to buy an I-Link cable online so I can co-op the story mode with a friend.

Same. I actually found a 14 inch PVM in the wild this year, but I've never even seen a BVM for sale anywhere. Paying insane shipping costs is pretty much it I'm afraid.

I've always wanted to try this with Ninja Warriors or one of the Darius games.

Surprisingly good. The wii doesn't really do RGB though sadly. Not American wiis anyway. I use mine as a dedicated emulation box.

There's nothing wrong with having standards. There ARE different grades of tube TVs for retro gaming. Let us have our fun.

Can you test it in person?

Call me when CRT's stop being heavy as shit

Also, CRT's look like trash when they are large, let alone immovable.

Most input lag on most monitors are so low most people wouldn't even notice.

OH NOES I NEEDED THAT 5 MILLISECONDS TO COMPENSATE FOR MY BAD REACTION TIME

And scanlines are only useful for older games. Now, why on earth would I want a heavy as fuck to just to use on maybe 5 consoles? I would honestly rather just emulate scanlines on an LCD.

How often do you lug around your displays dude?

Irrelevant
It fucking sucks when you do

Fuck refrigerators, fuck stoves, fuck couches, fuck all of it. Why would anyone own anything heavy, EVER? I move my bed & my couch DAILY from one side of my house to the other, & quite frankly, it's getting ridiculous.

Which is why you go no larger than 23 inches. You can go as large as 32, but it's a crapshoot as to whether you get geometry issues at that size.

Most people are fucking retarded user. "Most people" has never been an argument for quality. People into retro games are not "most people". They play genres like rhythm games, arcade games, fighting games, arcade bullet hell shmups, etc, that all requires exact response time. Being off by 2/10ths of a second means winning or losing in these titles.

You wouldn't? Most people into these games have like 12 consoles. I know I do. I have a modded NEO-GEO coming in soon too, so that's 13.

You're welcome to do that. I personally don't like it since it's just making the screen darker by drawing lines on top of the image instead of in between, but it should be avoidable & fully emulate-able soon. I hear good things about the XRGB mini.

hey faggots, figured this was a good place to ask.
I was sick and tired of my ps2 games lagging and being desynched with the sound on my plasma so I picked up a cheap ass late 1980's trintron.

Obviously, it's a late 80's model and not 2000's so it's going to be missing some features sure. But now the sounds in nocturne are in sync and that's all I need.

My one question is this - I'm in PAL region. This TV works with SMT nocturne's NTSC mode, but not with the Wii's NTSC mode. What gives? Is there a difference in picture output between the two systems? I was under the impression that NTSC was a singular standard and didn't have deviations.

scrawny manlet numale detected

do you even lift bro? or are you too busy watching your wife's son?

It's possible that one of them is displaying in PAL-60, where the other is NTSC/60hz.

Otherwise they *should* both work if outputting vanilla NTSC.

Your devices appear to be conflicting with the displays supported video formats. With homebrew you can force your systems to output to a very specific format. All wii loaders have this, and opl can force it too.

I ordered a second 14" bvm, its only a state away so its only 165 after everything. Also waiting on a lot of video boards.

Thank you friends.
To be as clear as possible, Nocturne explicitly says "NTSC - 60hz" on it's startup, and it works fine.
For the wii, choosing the second of two options (50hz 576i, 60hz 480i) makes the screen fuzzy and the colours go off.

Again, I don't mind too much because nocturne was the goal, but I would like to learn a little but about how CRTs, resolution etc works. I know hz is a refresh rate and I know i means interlaced, which plasma screens hate) and I know 576i etc are resolutions. I would like to learn why the colours don't show properly on this TV and what the resolution or refresh rate have to do with that.

You are using an ntsc tv, and your wii game is doing pal60, a standard that didn't come in til the 00s.homebrew it and you can force all games to launch in ntsc.

Good to know. Thank you. I never knew of such thing.

To be clear, the Wii is fuzzy in the menus. I haven't tried it in-game yet.
Are there homebrew tweaks that can force the wii to change its output in the menus?

The NTSC Wii doesn't do RGB, which is what your PAL scart cable is sending to your TV. You're probably getting a red screen right? If your wii is hacked, through usbloader GX you can force your wii games into "pal 60" mode which should bypass the harware lock preventing you from playing with your scart cable.

Just as a side note, Sony PVMs & BVMs are usyally multi format, so if you ever get one then you shouldn't have any of these problems. They accept PAL & NTSC signals.

It's a non argument. I've never met someone who couldn't move a tube TV. Some BVMs have handles too.

Those things are STILL used by some video editing companies for color correcting & video proofing. They're amazingly sharp to see in person.

I've moved some 40" CRTs. They're unwieldy and annoying, but it's not like you're moving it daily.

I don't think you can change the way the menus operate, it may just be something you have to put up with. Games should work fine if you force them in the right setting.

I guess this helps explain why so many shit games are upheld as classics here., I'm not saying all old games are bad but when you hear someone talking about how great adventure was on Atari, or putting a mediocre at it's absolute best 3d platformer onto a pedestal you know that shits nostalgia.

you don't know anything about display technology or how images are sent from hardware to a monitor

Thanks man. Every time I start getting interested in CRT monitors some insufferable faggot like OP shows up and ruins any chance of a decent discussion through a unique blend of cancer and autism.
Ideally I'd like to own a professional-grade 4K monitor for content creation and a good widescreen PVM/BVM for low-latency vidya with great black levels, but that's only if I ever get around to making shit.

Ignorant faggots not welcome.

There isn't a need for this because I'm not blinded by nostalgia

there is actually a need to understand how display technology works when talking about display technology. You should be asking questions, but instead you're insisting because it is the (((current year))) you have the best available technology. and are clearly ignorant of its flaws and shortcomings based on the foundational principles of how it functions.

Most of CRT's colour/black level-related advantages are now being outdone by OLEDs and HDR monitors (see x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2016/Program/xdc-2016-hdr.pdf for a technical explanation without the marketing bullshit), leaving latency as their main advantage or scanlines if you're a retro hipster.

If you want to know more about CRTs, refer to instead of OP the massive faggot. Whether the improved latency and black levels are worth the weight is up to you.

Why would I ask questions, I know the differences and they are so negligible I'm convinced this thread is a nostalgia circle jerk, and I already gave you the one big advantage CRT has for playing old games.

Is the latency at a point where it actually matters for general use? I'm mostly just shitposting because I don't think this needs it's own thread, start a /vr/ thread and have it as a major component but a CRT thread on it's own. I can smell the smug of false superiority from other boards, and it's distinct from /a/ and sony fanboy threads.

Unless you have a really high-latency monitor (such as a typical IPS display and many professional monitors) the difference won't be as drastic as something like switching vsync on and off, but going from milliseconds of display lag to mere nanoseconds is pretty huge, see vid related. It's not something that usually bothers you in casual desktop usage or shit like watching movies, but it's very noticeable when playing vidya.
Latency can still be affected by other hardware and software architectural issues, but the display you're using and the refresh rate make a fairly large difference. There's even games that use methods like panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Multithreaded_Render_Pipeline to improve framerates without reducing latency as well but that's heresy.

I wish people here were less autistic and had some more self awareness so then they would know that they aren't being forced to post on a thread about something they don't like. Sadly that is the reality of imageboards.

No, thanks.

I will never understand why people get triggered by CRT discussion. Do you really have that much love for your LCD?

human visual reaction times are measured in milliseconds about 200ms, that's around 12 frames at 60hz, sure it's cool that a CRT has less display lag but i'm doubtful of any benefits in real world situations, especially considering that many of the old games designed for CRTs ran at 60hz anyway.

Either too poor and/or stupid to set one up or too proud about their fancy LCD.

Quantum dot displays don't suffer from those issues but still don't have the black levels of a CRT monitor or OLED displays.

You're forgetting that displays aren't the only source of latency, but a lot of it comes from input devices and software architecture so every little bit counts. It's especially important in VR so you'll generally find the best information on human reaction time and how latency affects us in VR research circles. Read web.archive.org/web/20140719053303/http://www.altdev.co/2013/02/22/latency-mitigation-strategies/ , blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/latency-the-sine-qua-non-of-ar-and-vr/ and optionally gdcvault.com/play/1022943/Fighting-Latency-on-Call-of if you want a really good understanding of latency in VR and vidya in general.

My LCD is fucking shit
Mostly because the practical benefits of CRTs get shitposted to oblivion and only affect video games, compared to average desktop usage and reading where sharpness is more important than latency or black levels, and watching films where a good projector trumps all in a dark room.

why?

is this something simple i'm overlooking? most beds stay in one place for months at a time

Its a joke at the expense of people who complain about crts being too heavy. They are heavy, but how often do you actually move your tvs or monitors?

Adventure on atari was groundbreaking at the time user. bad choice if you were going for a bad game.

That's suchnew technology I have no idea what to make of it. Let me know if you ever figure out a good 4K monitor. I'm still in 1080p 60hZ monitor territory. Maybe I should upgrade to 1400k 144hZ this year. (I might be getting those numbers wrong, but whatever the next bump up from 1080 is)

Does the thought of playing games on Lightbulbs offend you?

Why wouldn't you want to own a piece of the Jetsons future. I bet you don't like Laserdisc either. I still use a modern display for modern games. CRTs are for things 720p & lower.

Nobody's saying to go out & buy a tube TV for street Fighter 5.

& yet the technology still doesn't last. I've seen Sony PVMs that were on 24/7 for 60,000+ hours lining up News vans that still work perfectly today. If we can get those new displays to last that long then we're getting somewhere.

Right now the technology is too young to drop say, $2000 on a top of the line OLED screen. OLED is great, I just wish they didn't burn out so quickly.

For games that require timing? Yes. I would argue games like Metal Gear Rising suffer the most. They're purposely designing games with huge attack/defend windows now to compensate for the lack of a standardized input lag between modern displays & games became very casual as a result.

Speedrunners especially benefit from CRTs.

Other than that, CRTs never hurt nobody.

It really is something you have to see side by side to notice the difference. After playing on a CRT you end up hating how much lag there is on modern displays.

whoops, i'm retarded.

I'm glad nobody made fun of me for watching Lain on VHS. I wouldn't be able to handle that.

It's novel, if i ever happen to set up a system for video playback on my bvm I'd like to see how some classic anime looks on it

4K is impractical for gaming right now mostly because of how the G Buffer's memory usage scales terribly as screen resolution goes up (also partially explains why modern games using deferred rendering don't support MSAA). It's mostly useful for artists working on high-resolution content like videos and art assets, otherwise 1440p is a much more reasonable step towards high pixel density gaming which makes the CRT's natural antialiasing filter obsolete for 3D vidya.

It's a fun format to collect for. I hope hipsters never get into VHS. Prices are fairly cheap, & I want them to stay that way. I'm slowly snatching up new copies of all the Trigun volumes since they pop up factory sealed at random on eBay.

So comfy to have anime on VHS running in the background while I do housework.

I don't think there's any reason to own a 4K screen yet. Even the blurays are just upscaled 2k aren't they?

Is there any way we can get a logical increments type list going of CRTs?

If one already exists please direct me, I would highly appreciate it.

Blurays are mostly 1080p with some 4K exceptions (which doesn't make much difference from your couch unless your TV is ginormous), but the source footage is almost always recorded and edited at much higher resolutions.

There's 1000s of models. Just find something that does RGB & stick with it.

I don't care for CRTs anymore. I have a CRT sitting next to me, but I prefer to play on my larger HDTV despite input lag and inferior graphics. The HDTV is also sitting on my desk, and my CRT is sitting on a little stand near the floor, which hurts when I scrunch my big old body towards the small TV.

That fucking picture… D: Gross!

consumer:
trinitron
avoid EDTVs
professional:
sony bvm's with rgb in
sony pvm's with rgb in
ikegami
something with rgb in they are pretty uncommon
seriously just look for R, G, B, Sync ports and call it
SCART > Component RCA

wew

Fucking checked :3

Even if I did have my small CRT on my desk, which it used to be, I'd rather play it on my big HDTV.

Honestly I'm surprised how many replies this topic has. Probably helps that Holla Forums has an older userbase than halfchan.

What is your age? I'm 27.

that's nice. There's a lot of nuances to CRTs that make them a better option for games over a modern HDTV.

I'm just 23, it's got little to do with age, more experience and desire to get the best you can out of something. At least in my case.

Like a blurry picture, and a smaller picture if you don't want to wheel a giant heavy CRT into your home.

Lol

My 14" BVM has a better picture than your 60 inch HDTV. Probably weighs about the same, but it's not like I'm moving it every day. Even then, 40 pounds isn't really a big deal.

No.

Yes, you can't handle the truth.

That is not the truth, and you know it.

Yes, especially considering what I'm running on it. Good luck getting a nice picture from a sega saturn on your hdtv.

thanks for the help friend, but I'm using composite input, not SCART
It's a late 80's TV which DOES support NTSC 60hz, but apparently not PAL 60hz. It is a late 80's TV after all.

The screen just goes sorta darkish, the colours fade out and drawn lines go fuzzy. trying to play nocturne with the TV in PAL mode does the same thing (and sadly no, there is no NTSC mode - only PAL and "Auto")

Thanks my man. That should be no problem.

So many underage newfags in this thread, but keep going OP.

I never thought there would be a time when most people have never played videogames on a CRT, but here we are. Getting old just keeps feeling stranger & stranger.

After buying a second Sony BVM I came across a 14" Ikegami one from 2002. I'm extremely tempted to get it too. Has RGB in as well, and I'm very interested in comparing the sets.

If it's cheap there's no reason NOT to get one as long as it's in good condition. They keep getting more expensive, & it's not like someone's going to come along & make new CRTs in the future.

I looked it up, its sub hd at only 650 lines, but with a variety of inputs it makes it a very appealing system to be working on. I've only got experience with bvms but this is gonna be awesome to play on. Plus I'll have all these options now. The model is TM14-17RZ. 14" pro displays seem surprisingly common.

Are there any that support VGA for my computer? It'd be the tits to finally play some of my PC98 games on something authentic.

They make vga to bnc cables you can use. Wookieewin sells them on ebay iirc.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

If you have to be a CRT loving retrofag, do yourself a favor and get a player for big shiny movie records. Less noise on audio and video, better resolution and if you're lucky you even get chapter stops or secondary language tracks. They tend to have sexier packaging for box sets, too.

Pretty much the perfect analog format laser rot aside.

I'm planning on it. Unfortunately most anime on laserdisc is not subtitled, & 1/3 of the titles that are were released by ADV, & all ADV releases suffer from varrying degrees of laser rot.

Not only that, but they didn't bother releasing most series completely. EVA for example only has 8 episodes saubbed, while goldenboy only has the first episode.

I thought part of the charm with VHS is the lo-fi quality?

A laserdisc setup would be neat but they are incredibly expensive here.

The more I look into it, the more I find that a lot of the popular resources for information on professional CRTs has let me down. I've learned a lot from just reading manuals online and what my BKM-129X came with. Even some things that are fairly basic, like how to identify self-terminating BNC ports are neglected and the general advice is to just put terminators on every unused port. Totally unnecessary.

How much of a madman would I be to buy one of these?

www.ebay.com/itm/222236118301/

I have some sort of color aberration on two of the corners of my 4:3 trinitron. I can get into the service menu (thanks internet) but I'm not sure there's anything I could do from there.
It's very minor but it's noticeable on video games that use white as part of ui elements. Oddly enough, can't see it on movies, tv, etc. Probably due to motion.

Would I need to open her up? Get my neodymium magnet?

Don't you have a Degause button on your TV? I had a similar problem. Turned out the magnetic poles of the earth actually affected my screen. Pointed my Monitor West & it went away.

That's very interesting. Where are you from and which floor is your crt located on?

I don't have much room to maneuver in but I'll give it a try and report back.

Could SEDs been developed into a replacement for CRT if the technology hadn't died due to patent bullshit?

Dear fucking god it worked… It's gonna be a bitch to keep it at a 45 degree angle.

Yes, at least for studio / pro uses, if not the home tv market.

Just end it already.

Holy shit. I'm so glad that actually worked for you user. I bought some magnetically shielded speakers too because they were fucking with the colors when they got to close to the sides of the TV.

Basically look for ANY magnetic sources around your TV if you have any issues. I had to remove the small magnets that keep the glass doors on the cabinets I have my TV on too & I felt like a retard not realizing they were fucking up my image to begin with, so best of luck.

Fucking magnets man.