I started to play this and I actually really like it. What other games in the series are worth checking out...

I started to play this and I actually really like it. What other games in the series are worth checking out? Any I should avoid?
It starts off kind of lacking gameplay wise, but as soon as you get into Tartarus, it becomes a pretty cool experience. The dialogue and story kept me invested just long enough so I could get into the actual game.

Holy shit, why bother playing Persona 3 if you're gonna play the vastly inferior and shit version.

Mostly do to emulation. Had ppsspp and thought I might give it a shot. Thanks for the input. I'll check out FES.
What does FES add to the game?

P3P works so well because it's portable, I absolutely love it but I cannot for the life of me play more than 30 minutes of P4 before getting bored

Maybe try playing P4 on Vita

this came out after fes, fes is a ps2 game so everything is in 3d unlike the psp game where the hubs are 2d

Any impact on the gameplay at all? That feels like the most defining factor here. I don't imagine you can do much in the hubs anyways.

VitaTV's are dirt cheap so I might consider it.

Stick with P3P. FES adds a variety of things, mostly The Answer which is an epilogue where you play as Aegis which kinda ruins a lot of the character development and isn't very fun. P3P is worth playing alone because it allows you to control your AI allies directly whereas the PS2 versions of the game are mondo frustrating when your allies do dumb shit constantly. The PS2 versions have some anime cutscenes whereas the PSP version has regular text dialog but you can always watch it on Youtube or something. There are other things added in P3P too like skill cards which improves the flow of the game and helps ease the cookiecutter stat design of so many of the personae.

Also you can play as a gril and save that edgy guy

You might as well play it on ps2 then, the whole point is having it portable

Having direct control of your party members and skill cards makes the game much easier as a result, so I would raise the difficulty to at least hard as well.

In FES when your party members get tired they feel the effects immediately, not once you leave the dungeon. The MC can use any weapon and your teammates are completely AI controlled so you can often run into frustrations related to Marin Karin and other stupid abilities.
If there was a way to hack in direct control for your teammates for FES it'd be superior. But without it those AI are fucking retarded.

i burned out of persona 3 80 hours in i just got tired of looking up how to beat bosses over and over its not fun

To add onto you cannot use knives. The AI also has different tactics you can order them to use like Conserve SP, and knock down enemies to name a few. I completed my run at level 89 with ~110 hours and never really had a problem with the teammate AI

Just play 3. The others are trash.

Gameplay-wise P4 is essentially more of the same but with a much more lighthearted story.

P1 and P2 (both of which got remakes on PSP) are similar in terms of story, though combat in the first is very lacking but does have a really good soundtrack.

In no way is this true in the slightest. P1 and P2.1 also star high school classes, but aren't self insertion power fantasies.

Are you saying P2 is about self inserts and power fantasies?

P3P is not a real persona game. Since it came out FES is the only version worth playing. P3P destroys the game narratively and the gameplay becomes a fucking joke and not worth playing because of it.

Am I the only one who didn't have trouble with AI allies? Did none of you niggers open the damn tactics menu?

No, P2.2 is about adults, not high schoolers.

Oh I see the confusion. That's not a sentence break after the 2, that's indicating Persona 2 part 1 (Innocent Sin) versus part 2 (Eternal Punishment).

Okay, I understand what you meant now.

Tactics menu is too difficult for these retards.

It's just a stupid inconvenience.

Yeah like picking what ability to use and scanning the enemy. The game should just choose the most effective attack and do it automatically. That way you don't have to do anything.

Aren't you sarcastically advocating for what Persona 3 literally does in order to defend Persona 3? That's just dumb breh.

What he said falls more in line with FFXIII's…. gameplay.

Whoever made this doesn't have enough self-awareness, because at first I thought it was one of those tweest images where the radicalized foreigners are actually US soldiers invading Iraq or something.

You mean P3P because FES does no such thing.

you could play P3P and then The Answer on the PS2, its totally separate from the main game

you get used to the AI companions, if the do stupid shit like healing with a 100HP herb or using Marin Karin you can just set them to Full Assault

the story in the Answer is not bad really, I mean it takes the jesus analogy to its logical conclusion, and if you pay attention to what the occultism proffesor says about the tarot cards you will understand what happens a bit better but its dilluted in the 30 hours it will take you to finish it, the rest of the time you will be fighting the same recolored monsters you faced in the main game and the bosses are no different, they are a lot meaner, but they are just bigger recolors of normal enemies.

If you want the main story wrapped in a nice bow you can safely skip The Answer, but hey, more robot waifu.

The cutscenes (in game and animu) are not a big deal really, just reading the text will save you a lot of time, I ended up playing 130 hours in the entirity of P3FES when P3P will take you more or less 80–60 hours

If by that you mean vastly inferior then yes

wait was it even possible to get caught in P3?

I liked that at least it gave me the option to reject anything that is not Chie

Seriously? Why are you playing games i don't like? I mean i haven't played it myself but somebody here told me it was bad.

Yes, if you dated a girl who is pre-rank 10 and started dating another girl you can get a reversal.

He could also take an actual gun and shoot himself in the head.

The Answer is fucking shit and you know it.

yea it was. even ignoring someone who is your girlfriend for too long would send it into reversal,

P3Pfags everyone. Hell I bet he only plays it to romance girls/boys.

It didn't have a compendium, therefore was shit.

how about NO

What are you even talking about? The Answer still? FES is still a superior version of P3 without it.

Does anyone still play Persona 4 Arena or Ultimax? I was thinking about picking it up but which console has the better online?

neither, people are jumping on revelator or CF for anime fighters. I'd play ultimax on PS3 but my laser died

CF? And damn, thanks for that, I'll probably get it down he line if it's on sale.

so where do I begin with emulating personas?

top lel

blazblue CF

I thought the whole point was Hunger/Aeon SLs

You're also missing out on the magnificent level design of The Answer, which is necessary to get the full experience

I specifically said P3 was better without the Answer and better than P3P. Learn to read retard.

No idea what that is

FES had a robust tactics menu that (if used correctly) made your AI partners incredibly effective except for one single curveball they throw you at the end of the game. Yes, they're shit at the very beginning because the options are limited, but that's supposed to be the gameplay integration of the team not working well together. I can also forgive it, because the earlygame is easy anyway and by the time the difficulty picks up you already have the tactics unlocked.

The Answer is weird, but the design was made specifically in response to everyone complaining that vanilla P3 was too easy (which it was). Atlus' response was "Oh, it's too easy? Alright, fucker, here you go''. While I agree that the placement of save points and giving many enemies Dodge skills was kind of petty, it was significantly harder than the base game as a whole and that's a good thing.

FES and P3P are both good adaptations, but FES is the better one for a first playthrough because of the full 3D scenes and anime cutscenes. P3P lacks both, because >PSP
My recommendation is to play FES > The Answer first, then play as a chick in P3P.
The improvements in P3P are really nice (especially being able to guard, holy shit), but the game wasn't really designed for it (or Direct Control) so the difficulty suffers as a result. That's what Maniac difficulty is for, though.

The new social links added to Golden and FES, respectively

The new social links added to Golden

Both are shit. Hunger gives a few infesting scenes in the end game but beyond that is worthless time wasting, and Aeon fails because instead of using it to expand on MarieIzanami's character, they try to make her new Elizabeth except she interacts with the party. That pissed me off so badly I've planned out an entire fanfic where I do it better. Her dungeon is cool( and was designed by the SJ guys), but really, P4G is the one Atlus remake I say is worse than the base game. You're better off with just the PS2 version of you play it at all.

Last I tried Ultimax online it was deader than a door nail. I wouldn't if I were you.

if you are going to play persona 4 after this, try getting the true ending on your first playthrough because going through 3-4 hours of dialogue (reduced to 30 minutes if you mash triangle like a madman) a second time is the last thing you want to do

but user, doing things on an in-battle menu that can be use as many times as you want during a turn is too hard (i've seen people who believed the tactics menu wasted a turn, its not like if it was possible to test things on low level shadows or anything)

You begin with downloading a PSP emulator and playing 2(1 is optional, it's overall kind of shit). Then play P3P or get a PS2 emulator and play FES. After that either emulate P4 or get a Vita TV and pirate Golden.

Disregard anyone who even acknowledges P3P.

is the dub, only choice?

Why? Because of your autism? Kill yourself.

No because like everyone says its fucking garbage.