Why was "remove humanity" the end goal of all X villains?

Why was "remove humanity" the end goal of all X villains?
At least the main ones, Berkana just wanted more power.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphic_code
techopedia.com/definition/4055/polymorphic-virus
kobun20.interordi.com/2010/09/20/ask-me-3-the-final-lesson/
capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2011/04/15/kinakos_daily_report_72
kobun20.interordi.com/2011/04/06/dr-datas-dash-dissertation/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Race war.

Who?

Humanity was the ones controlling them. See the Matrix.

A decent number of Reploids think themselves superior to humans due to their superior physical capabilities coupled with human intelligence, though the Zero and ZX games make the point that Reploids didn't really get to human mental stability or physical dexterity in almost all cases until the Sigma Virus was wiped out. The ones that go too far with the "muh superiority" bent get branded Maverick as well as ones that go crazy from hardware/software failure. They're kinda like sci-fi jihadists.

Mega Man Xtreme 2 villain. Xtreme games were kind of a stripped-down Game Boy Color version of X1, X2 and X3 like the Mega Man games made by Minakuchi Engineering for Game Boy, and though they weren't really important they introduced a handful of custom villains of their own.

Do you want the long, detailed version or the short, boring version?

The long detailed version

Give me a bit.

Good question. Let's explore that further.

You'll probably know most of this, but you should probably read all of it in order to make sure you're not missing anything, because you need it all. I'm writing it as though you missed lots of important things, even though if you're asking this question, that's obviously not the case. Some of this is not expressly said in games, and there are some conflicting stories from official sources, but this is the best possible explanation as I've come to know it.

tl;dr at the bottom.

First thing worth knowing: X and Zero's designs contain something along the lines of DNA. Everything is based on that.

So basically, X, being the first robot (intentionally) built with a true free will, contains hardware (and related software) that gives him a sense of humanity, like humans have, rather than leaving him as a complete sociopath, which would be the expected default. This hardware makes him not insane, and leads him to question everything about himself, his motives, and whether or not he can be considered to be doing some kind of "good" based on his own experiences, in a way roughly equivalent to a person. This hardware was imperfect, though, and leads to excessive questioning. The severe battery of testing that X underwent while sealed in his capsule was necessary to lead to the desired result, which succeeded, but in addition, X was left in a perpetual state of "Why?"

On top of this, when Dr. Cain discovered him, and tried to make replicas of him, these systems were not fully understood, and the resulting robots, (reploids) either do not have the same systems within them, or do, but have a malfunctioning counterfeit of an already malfunctioning genuine article. As such, they're not as stable as X, and, while the chance is fairly low, there's an extremely remote chance that they can spontaneously become insane, sociopaths, or otherwise destructive. This same gimped system found its way into Sigma.

Zero was never properly completed by Wily. Wily somehow understood the principles of creating a truly free-willed robot, presumably from his time working on Proto Man, well enough that he decided to begin work on one to leave one as his ultimate legacy, believing that he could finish it. However, there was a flaw with Zero's programming that made him exceedingly violent, even when there was no reason to be. Wily was never able to figure out what caused this flaw, and died while working on him, leaving Zero in an incomplete state, and in permanent stasis in a hidden laboratory, much like X.

Wily's other pet project was the Zero Virus, which was a success. The Zero Virus is a polymorphic virus which infects computers, but mainly robots, and causes them to behave erratically, and usually violently, generally causing disarray. It can also be transmitted wirelessly, whether the target robot is specifically listening for it or not, and by direct touch. Like most viruses, it's possible to be a carrier for it without showing any symptoms, and symptoms can arise later on, despite not showing previously. There's no known way to counter it, and it seems to adapt to measures taken against it. As a practical weapon, it's fairly useless, as it cannot be directed. However, the real use of the virus is that it contains the mind of Dr. Wily, who somehow successfully digitized himself. Simply by existing, Zero produces and spreads this virus. In this sense, Zero is essentially Wily's robotic phylactery. Without going into exactly how it works, or what the end-game is for it, Wily has succeeded in becoming a techno-lich.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphic_code
techopedia.com/definition/4055/polymorphic-virus
That probably leaves a lot of questions open, and it's because there's a lot more to the purpose of the virus than this, (at least a few more paragraphs,) but it's not especially relevant to your question. I'll go into it if asked, but I'm focusing on answering as succinctly as possible. (Mid-script Post Script: I lied.)

The virus has been shown to modify itself based on the robots which it infects. Most notably, the first robot other than Zero to be infected, Sigma.

Before the events of the X games, reploids had only existed for a few decades, but it rapidly became clear that Mavericks, at this point only occasionally caused by the extremely minute chance of malfunction, would pose a threat, and thus, the Maverick Hunters were created, which X would also later join. Sigma was was the most advanced reploid in history at that point, and was created with the most sophisticated systems available, rivaling those of X, including logistics systems specifically designed to be capable of handling any strategic combat scenario on any field of battle. It was for this reason that he was given command of the Maverick Hunters. However, he still possessed the failed counterfeit copy of the empathy hardware within X.

Sometime later, still before the events of the games, a team of Maverick Hunters was exploring an abandoned facility, and discovered Zero. They awoke him, presumably by accident, and he resumed his programming. Zero outclassed every reploid that existed at this point, with the theoretical exception of Sigma, and overwhelmed, they called for Sigma. During this fight, Zero nearly defeated Sigma, but was forcibly stopped by something which caused him great pain, implicitly directly and intentionally by Dr. Wily. This allowed Sigma to land a surprise punch directly to Zero's main power crystal, shattering it. This is the point at which the "Remove Humanity" meme was created. Sigma ordered for Zero to be taken back to Hunter headquarters for study.

As mentioned, the virus evolves, and it does so as it receives new hosts, and therefore, new data. The particular manifestations and symptoms of the virus are mostly irrelevant, as the core goal of the virus is to keep Dr. Wily's consciousness alive. Sometimes, the mutation is behavioral, and affects how the aberrant behavior of the infecteds will manifest. Both Zero and Sigma are the products of this behavior. When Sigma punched Zero's power crystal, Sigma was infected, and his data could then be used as a template for mutation. In fact, being the first, he was the only possibly mutation template at that time. Zero's virus received an understanding of Sigma's systems, and Sigma received the virus in whole, which included Zero's systems, and the programming error which seeded his desire to fight.

However, there was another system involved than just Sigma and Zero's. Because Sigma's systems were based on X's, X's systems were also involved. Specifically, the incomplete empathy systems from X. Zero is the special case. With all of these systems combined, it gave Zero the pieces he needed to become relatively sane, and not simply fight without reason, even though he still desired it. He was never programmed with a specific malign goal, and his aberrant behavior became a relatively normal, albeit battle-hungry personality. He may also have received some variant of empathy at this time.

Sigma's turn was a bit darker, and was the turn which most mavericks from that point on would take. The virus, seeded with Zero's constant desire to fight, interacted with Sigma's incomplete empathy systems, which were obsessed with questioning the order of the world around him, and his military suite, which was designed to solve strategic military problems, and led him to a predictable conclusion, which was revolution. In 21XX, the human government is still the ruling power, and the most single obvious target for rebellion. Every justification beyond that is simply justification. Mavericks are all fighting a revolution, but don't really know why, they just want an excuse.

This is the origin of his name. Being "The sum" in math is a reference to his role in the story. He's the combination of X and Zero's problems.

(Open image after finished reading.)
At a few instances, (especially in the non-canon Maverick Hunter X) Sigma speaks of wanting to evolve, claiming to be a more important evolutionary step than mankind, but it's unclear if this is a product of the virus wanting to evolve, a representation of the virus causing him to want to fight on the level of evolution, something that Sigma simply already believed, but had previously kept in check, or just empty words.

This same train of logic would affect reploids for roughly the next 100 years, though few would be on that scale, let alone be able to plan an organized revolution. The same thing occurred with Epsilon and Redips.

The distinction between mavericks infected with the virus and mavericks who just ideologically disagree with the human government is an important one. The lines get blurred extremely hard later on, when Repliforce is framed for the Sky Lagoon incident and bails on the planet. Most of them are not infected, but genuine separatists. However, X and Zero are told to put them down for thought crime all the same. This leads to the ultimate ideological conflict between X and Zero in X5, because X and Zero take away very different lessons from X4. Zero had to kill both his girlfriend, who was legitimately full Remove Human for stupid ideological reasons, and also one of his best friends who had too much pride to allow himself to be killed for thought crimes, but I digress. My point is that, by that time, maverick is simply a title for reploids who have angered the human government and has nothing to do with their infected state. Not all mavericks are going to have this goal. Only ones that have been infected by strains of the virus descended by Sigma, which are collectively known as the Sigma Virus. As such, outliers who fight you for their own reasons, such as Dynamo and Repliforce cannot be considered to have this goal.

tl;dr, ultimately, the reason most mavericks want to Remove Human is because Zero was a psychopath, X was an idiot who second-guessed everything, and Sigma was a war machine, and the Zero Virus just happens to combine those traits together in the worst way possible and sticks them into reploids.

Really, everything would have been fine if they hadn't uncovered Zero, since he's the one who had the virus. You could say he's Patient Zero.

That was quite in-depth, thanks user.
Fucking Carlos

You mentioned that X and Zero took different lessons from X4. What would you say those were?

It's been way too long since I played the X games.

See that nose on Wily? He's a jew. And he made all the problems. Jews always want to destroy human accomplishments.

:^)

What is the end-game goal, if it's more sophisticated than revival? As far as my limited knowledge goes, I don't think he ever managed to resurrect himself.

Though in a previous thread a few weeks ago, I saw speculation that one of the characters in the later games was 'totally super obviously Wily, for real guys.'

From what I remember, X basically realized he was being used as a weapon to quell any Reploid dissent, not just to put down legit Mavericks and started his slow turn to half assed pacifism.

Other way around. Zero realized what a crock it all was because he had just killed his girlfriend and war buddy, who clearly weren't maverick. X on the other hand, calls him up after all of this and says "Ey fam, if I ever become one of those disgusting separatists just go ahead and fucking kill me where I stand, okay?"

I have a long-ass video storyboard about this that I've never gotten around to making.

Because the robots were redpilled

Making a more serious post its funny to speculate what went on with Wily when he made the virus and speculating on its effects on future robots. At least when you're not a big lore buff on Megaman like me. Maybe the virus wasn't made with keeping Wily's consciousness intact but to try and fix the error in Zero's programming and never succeeded (because Wily never could himself) and the rest was a side effect of that. Maybe the virus was unintentionally shut down with Zero and so its purpose (to solve the flaw in programming) was rendered defunct when it infected Sigma and the consciousness you talk of realized its own potential. Lots of fun stuff to speculate about.

Get to making it so I can watch it faggot.

I stand corrected. Been years since I played them. So when and why did X decide to become the worlds wishy washiest pacifist?

Aren't reploids just robots? How is a robot superior when it can't even fuck?

Its robots made by humans of course they can fuck.

Shitty uncreative "video game writers" who can't even write a mediocre novel with a gun pointed towards their head.

Shit, son, I'd be interested in seeing that. I fucking loved the backstory behind the X timeline.

FUCK

You've reminded me of something I forgot to mention. Doesn't matter though, 'cause I can't remember a source. I once read that the virus had nothing to do with Zero, aside from him possibly having the generator, and that it was completely benign. The violent tendencies that come with the virus were only a result of its first contact being Zero, and his faulty programming seeping into it/its victims. Since Wily never intended for Zero to be particularly violent (beyond what Wily Machines™ always do) it's possible that the virus was never meant to have that element.
I should.

Corporate meddling by Capcom. Inafundme being a sham or not, it was expected to end at X5. And then it didn't. Most likely, it would have segue'd into the Zero series after that, where it would have been very fitting for his character. In the early planning stages of Zero 1, "Copy X" was supposed to be the genuine article, not a copy.

Zero series confirms human/reploid relationships. By ZX, they've almost finished co-evolving into the same species. By Legends, it's complete.

SIGMA DID NOTHING WRONG

Because 99% of people that build "Human level AI" and "Learning AI" innately believe it will be more efficient and an objective moral superiority to humanity. Because most people that do that are sociopaths that are too stupid to realize that Terminator was a thing.

Yeah but if the constant questioning of himself is a thing I can see him going full pacifist because of a constant need for questioning himself/change.
Isn't it actually kind of reversed at that point? At least in appearance.

What about the zero/zx games? Found those far more interesting than x's rehashed plots. Though I would have liked that final megaman game that Capcom mentioned would cross over with x.

I mean nevermind we can't even get videogames to go completely right and humans don't seem to be all that smart or data corruption free either.

If videogames weren't such a bag of shit I'd love to see a reboot of the franchise with a more coherent direction in plot. Considering the state of videogames though I don't think I even want more Megaman games.

Ease of work. Wily's obsession is to surpass Dr. Light, even if it means he has to out-live him. The Zero Virus has a property which I didn't bother to mention in my write-up because it was irrelevant, even though it's easily the most interesting. For some reason, the space in which the virus travels is fundamentally altered on a physical level. Not just the things that are there, but the actual space itself.

Dr. Wily not only found a means to easy Matter/Energy conversion, he found a means to Matter/Energy/Data conversion. It becomes possible for him to manifest things spontaneously simply by having schematics of them, and the area adequately saturated with the virus. However, something has to be done to the physical matter of the world, and the space it resides in, in order for this to happen, which is the other purpose of the virus. By the end of the X series, the entire planet has become so saturated with the virus in such an uncontrolled way, that the earth itself begins "digitizing," and robots and entire complexes of buildings, which hadn't existed for over a hundred years, begin spontaneously materializing in this weird, semi-transparent circuit board-eqsue form.

In gameplay terms, it means they start throwing particularly hazardous stages and obstacles from the previous series at you, but they're a million times worse.

At any point in the timeline after this event, it's simply accepted that the world has a supplementary electronic demi-reality behind it somewhere, which allows reality to be rewritten on a physical level. Whatever Dr. Wily was planning, it required that. This technology was later used as the basis for Cyber-Elves. Before you stop that iteration of Sigma, it's evident that Wily's in the process of building Sigma a body based on what was one of the most powerful robots Wily ever controlled, Gamma.

I'd say yes and no. You have people who look like absolutely normal people, but then you have outliers like Tiesel and Bon Bonne. What makes me feel like those cases matter is that literally NOBODY brings up how robotic Bon is or how Tiesel's eyes are pure red. Sure you could argue that this is an aesthetic thing, but I think it's more likely that such features are just accepted as normal.

I thought zero was a big step up from x plotwise, though they basically needed 4 games to go through a modicum of character development. Zx felt unnecessary and legends should have been a separate universe entirely (wtf happened to the real humans)

it'll also probably be made by someone with their head so far up their own ass about their programming skills they'll be like "it'll work perfectly as intended! I tested this machine thoroughly" then terminator happens a month later because he didnt test shit

Kind of. By the time Legends rolls around, (actual spoilers) The entire population of what was considered to be "human" is dead. The Carbons that exist on the planet are a population of bio-mechanical organisms created by the humans who lived on Elysium. They're inherently bionic, from birth, which is why they're so easily able to augment themselves, despite having such a relatively low technology level. In that sense, you could say "No." to your question, because humanity resulted in the creation of a species that's part reploid, part human. On the other hand, the last of the humans are dead, and they considered themselves to be something different. They were clearly designed to be as human-like as possible, though. Given how Elysium and the Main Gate are run, they seem to be test facilities, and the carbon populations they're in charge of are petri dishes. Presumably, they're testing to see if Earth is habitable again, but that's mostly just a guess.

I was kind of talking the entire franchise, not just one part. Not to add deep story to everything, but just to take what exists and give it a more coherent vision. Streamlined if you will. I'm probably a heretic for reading the comics and (probably) getting the desire from that.

Thank you for your responses.

There's a reason you upgrade yourself with "Bionic Parts," and can swap out not just your gun, but your entire arm. It's not just the Bonnes, either. Diggers are shown to get augments on a regular basis. Gramps got his head and eyes fucked up. Joe was missing an arm. Bola has a claw arm and Klaymoor can rotate himself 360 degrees around at the waist. Strangely, there are strangely no augmented women, as far as I can remember.

Good morning, Quentin.

I'll bet you welcome repefugees too

So what would you classify Bon as? He's got a baby-like voice, so is he a Synthetic lifeform with a childlike AI or a Child who was fully augmented into a mechanical form?

I'd say mission accomplished. Light's invention aint got shit on Wily's virus.

I haven't read anything about Bonne specifically. My guess was always that he was either severely wounded, a sickly child, or a perfectly healthy child who just exists in a machine that Tron built for him because she's a "good" big sister. It definitely helps him participate in the family business.

You're right, except that Dr. Light isn't dead either.

Reploid specifically refers to a robot made based on Dr. Cain's study of Mega Man X's design. Funnily enough, Neither X nor Zero are reploids since X was the original model and Zero was designed by Dr. Wily who had never seen X. Those two are a bit hard to classify…

General Mega Man robot terminology though…

Mechanaloid - Standard robot. Does what it's programmed to do, nothing more, nothing less. These are the majority of robot enemies throughout the classic and X series.
Robot Master - Advanced robot, capable of thought and decision making, but without free will. This is the key difference between classic Mega Man and X. Mega Man does not have free will, X does. It's also why X was initially sealed away… Dr. Light didn't think the world was ready.
Reploid - Robots designed based on X's programming. Dr. Cain found where Dr. Light had sealed him away, studied him, reactivated him, and his research led to the development of the reploids. Dr. Cain failed to perfectly replicate Dr. Light's work, however. The flaws in his work are what make reploids vulnerable to going Maverick. Either due to mechanical failures, the Zero/Sigma virus, or whatever.

I don't really care about a reboot plotwise as much as I do gameplay wise, because as much as I love the gameplay of MMX there's no denying none of the enemies, bosses or levels really push the gameplay to its most, besides maybe Metal Shark Player's stage in X6

*Bon. I should also clarify that it's unlikely that Bon's an AI, since the Servbots are all AIs, and Tron thinks of them as her children. I think it'd be strange for her to pick one of them to be her brother, when she already has a brother. Unless she really wanted a little brother.

Also something worth mentioning that I forgot, X is "immune" to the virus, to a degree, presumably because his systems are relatively functional, compared to reploids. X is unique in that he's the only robot shown to be able to be saturated in the virus and recover from it. However, this does not mean that he's truly immune to it. If X's systems are so overwhelmed that it seems like he'll succumb to it, X slowly self-terminates until he either dies or his systems manage to fight off the virus. Reploids may experience pain as one symptom of the virus, but none of them actually suffer damage, which implies that he's doing it to himself. In-game this is manifested as rapid health drain. Zero gets invincibility from it, which, as a strong melee fighter, is some bullshit.

Megaman's universe is really a crapsack world. There's a reason why humanity goes extinct by the time of Megaman Legends.

Nobody's mentioned it yet, so I'll throw my hat in.

The technology that the original, benign virus was based on was probably based on the "Evil Energy" that Duo came to Earth to destroy in Megaman 8. Duo and his adversary are seen being capable of turning into amorphous clouds of energy at-will, moving and attacking, and then changing back again. This is a picture-perfect depiction of what the virus and later the Zero Space phenomenon do. Though Duo claims to have collected and destroyed all the Evil Energy, he might have missed some. Even if he didn't, Wily had the entirety of Megaman 8 from the end of the intro stage to the end of the story to study it. Likewise, Light got to study Duo when he helped repair him post-atmospheric reentry.

The total leap in engineering capability that both of them made are probably attributed to this opportunity to see something that didn't exist on Earth. Or at least probably didn't. Shadowman was explicitly extraterrestrial and was only modified into his shinobi theme after being discovered.

Kind of explains why nobody in the X series can even decode X and Zero's "data". Their bodies are Titanium X and Z (selectively-fluid titanium nanomachine substrates, high tech but comprehensible), but are suffused and bolstered by something that shouldn't even exist: physical extrapolations of data. It's not even hardlight; it's real.

That morality can be encoded like "Evil Energy" implies also lends a completely non-poetic meaning to X telling Zero he can sense a great evil inside of him if you let him go Maverick at the end of X5. X is rocking full on Paladin-tier "Detect Evil".

The citation for the virus stuff you're thinking about is in an interview in the back of Rockman Zero Perfect Memories.

That, or Wily's consciousness is fighting you in the metaphysical. It never really says why X takes damage from it.

Could it be argued that the Cyberspace shit from Mega Man Zero could be related to this?

I actually have beef with how perfect the Battle Network universe is. It's one of my favorite settings in the series, but the fact that it's the closest to our own, (actual cyberpunk dystopia soon, guys) and still so rosy, kinda irks me.

That's explicitly what it is. The Cyberspace phenomenon doesn't happen until the Dark Elf is released and Omega wakes up. The part of Zero that produces the virus was excised, which is why he was in stasis to begin with. It was studied and eventually converted into a self-motivating unit capable of using its powers to end the Maverick Wars. That's what the Dark Elf is, when it was originally called Mother Elf, and why she and Zero recognize each other. Once she was active again, she either re-flooded the planet or re-activated the latent viral content in the world.

The secret postgame boss in ZX is Omega, and it takes place in a static-contaminated cyber phenomenon of where the final battle in Zero 3 took place. You're literally fighting Omega's digital ghost.

Amusingly, once you get Omega, it's the most powerful biometal in the game, which at the top of the franchise's powerscale, is the most powerful player character you're ever given control of. The most powerful Mega Man there ever was was a human/reploid hybrid using X's body as an integration layer to equip Zero as an armor. This may be a coincidence as far as "FUUUSION- HA" type things go in Japanese media, but there's a more profound aspect to it as a foil to how Sigma was also a combination of X and Zero. Megaman ZX is a tiny glimpse at the future that might have been if Light and Wily had remained cooperative.

"Replicated Android"

No one ever seems to remember Japan loves shorthand phrases, especially when they can make them up. Reploid, or レプロイド, is a shorthand of two words.

Source, please. And please don't say Archie comics, or I may have to hunt you down.

This. Beat me to it. What's much less conclusive, yet has always been a topic of fascination for me, is the fact that The Master, a guy who's supposedly human, dissolves into something resembling a cyber elf. But then, when Metroid Prime first came out, I always thought that the way it looked when it was about to start exploding had something to do with the X Cores from Fusion.

I keep seeing people say this, but I've never seen it proven.

Real shit, nigga. Ctrl+F for Shadow Man.

Club Capcom magazine Q&A with Dr. Light (Right). Given the question, it seems the information already existed elsewhere, but that's the only source I could find.

So wait, the shit with Omega, the fusion one, not the Omega that actually looks like Zero, was that Dark Zero inside Omega all along?

Appreciated. I stopped hunting down MM based books after a bookstore I worked at in my teens started carrying shitty versions that obviously had fuck all to do with canon. I stopped trusting publication printouts after that.

Yes. Look closely at the top left image. The huge robot is worn by Omega like power armor, which in turn generates the massive mecha form around itself.

That's fucking awesome holy shit

Here's a comment from the art director responsible for large portions of both Legends and Battle Network:

Source: capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2011/04/15/kinakos_daily_report_72

Humans and reploids no longer exist in legends, the carbons are an unrelated race.

In Japan they're actually called Repliroids (レプリロイド), so it's even more obvious.

He's talking about the Master and those that lived on the moon before they all died. Someone had to create the carbons, you know.

There's no mention of reploids either, but with the master dying the way he did I wouldn't be surprised if he was a reploid and true humans had died out ages ago.

If you had been paying attention, you would know reploids and humans had become a single race long beforehand.

This assumes legends isn't just a spinoff like battle network.

The armor is made of X and Zero, look at the shoulders

kobun20.interordi.com/2011/04/06/dr-datas-dash-dissertation/

From the devs of Legends before it was even released. Then there's

From the producer of the Zero and ZX series. ZX also had areas that looked very similar in style to the reaverbot dungeons in the Legends games.

You guys just motivated me to try to get into Megaman series again.

I played the first one and X, and I really fucking loved X, the first one seemed okay but I didn't really like it that much. I got to the yellow devil which kicked my fucking ass. Should I still try to finnish the original series first, or should I jump straight into the X series and onwards? Not that I mind playing the original games, but everything after seems so more interesting

Also, any tips for gitting gud and not sucking?

That means mega man never got a proper ending since MML never finished.

I don't think there's a need to play the original series first seeing how X appeared with 6. I can vouch for the X series at least 1-4, I replay them every 2 years or so and I still enjoy them to this day.

As for not sucking…it's all about practice but the easy way to play them is to try to learn which boss is weak to what weapon. Just start with the Ice bosses, or the plant one in X2.

Yeah no fuck that, I feel like shit everytime I do that.

Mega Man 2's normal mode is pretty tame (enemies take double damage), so at least try that.
To git gud, think of each stage as a series of challenges and try to go through each taking as little damage as possible. Classic Mega isn't as tough or mobile as X, so special weapons are much more useful outside of boss fights. Don't feel bad about using them in fortress stages because you're supposed to have them all by that point. Any challenge can be beaten with memorization and okay reflexes. If you just can't beat a stage, try another.
As for X, 3 and 5 are meh and 6 and 7 are outright bad. 4 is God Tier. Haven't played 8, but I've heard it's alright.
The classic series is more consistent in quality, but they get progressively easier until 9 and 10.
IMO 5 best are 2>9>6=GB IV>7

Why? That's what you're supposed to do.

As in, not actually in the games or its canon.

this website should show you why humanity should be removed. Look at all the stormfags

swing and a miss

Can someone screencap this entire thread? I need it for future reference.

A) There are plenty of browser extension options for you to do it yourself.
B) If I find this repeated verbatim in an episode of Game Theory or some shit before my video's up, I swear to god, I will kill someone.

Mega Man games have story?

Yes. The stories in the games are always fairly simple, but there's a shitton of lore behind them that goes into philosophy and a little bit of hard scifi, involving the ethics of robotics, and how it relates to humanity's already existing problems.

This is a good thread filled with good posts.

Also, it's Omnimon.

Battle Network's near-constantly teetering on the edge of total collapse because of how volatile all that technology is (plus the day-to-day implications behind having living, thinking people in a handheld device with NetNavis, I remember BN6 even had some soap-operas about a man loving a navi). Plus everyone in it is retarded enough that somehow radio technology completely overtakes internet technology and renders NetNavis near-useless.

Don't forget that Cyberspace also seems to function as something of a bizarre Reploid afterlife in addition to a Styx river for information since apparently all computerized data goes there eventually. Phantom's fucking dead, but he's still out and about as well as fully combat-capable in Cyberspace and learned the truth behind Zero's body there, until Ciel rips his soul out of the aether to shove it into a Biometal.

Makes it all the more gratifying when you do end up finding that weakness though. Physically weakest-looking robot's where you should start (Chill Penguin, Cut Man, etc), always a safe bet that the ice guy's weak to fire or the other way around, similar bits of advice. Rock Man paper scissors rules.

Moreso through supplementary material but the supplementary material is some shit. It's a surprisingly good story about robotics as well as some of the general overtones surrounding robots and their impact on human life. ZX Advent even ended on a rather deep note that the laws behind Reploids having lifespans and humans being cybernetically enhanced for the sake of physical equality (hence why Reploids and humans in ZX looked identical save for Reploids having a helmet-crystal tattoo on their foreheads) was pure bullshit and there was a nefarious purpose behind it, all tying into Model W in some way or another. Shame we'll never get ZX3 right when the story was getting really interesting.

*Omegamon

I just got one question. What the hell happened between the Classic and X series that caused:

A. Rock, Roll, Proto Man, etc. to completely disappear
B. Technology to stop advancing in 100 years. (When X is discovered, Cain notes that his technology is revolutionary, despite being built 100 years ago)

The events of Doom 1 and 2.

No one knows A. As for B, tech didn't stop advancing. It's just that no one alive was as bright as Light and figured out how to make a robot with true free will in those hundred years.

Wasn't the laboratory of Dr. Light found by an archeologist in a wasteland or something? Sounds like they had a bad end.

I've got a question, who the made Axl and what is the deep lore behind him?

As far as I know, there isn't much. He was unique in that he could copy the form of a reploid, but he was studied and used as a base for the new generation of reploids, which all had that same power. X8's plot barely makes sense, though, and everything from X7 to Command Mission doesn't really tie into the over-arching narrative of the franchise.

2 words. Wizard robots

Can someone make a cap of this? My computer is dead and mobile a shit

Use the screengrab option

There isn't one on mobile

Assuming you're on Android, try holding your home and power buttons at the same time. If your power options menu came up, you're doing it wrong.

Android yes, but this phone uses power and volume down, the latter of which is broken. Thanks for trying, I'll see if I can find some app or something will let me take screenshots when I get home and can look at my phone for more than a few seconds.

Not to mention Command Mission takes place 22XX compared to X series' 21XX and Classic's 20XX, so Axl never managed to find who the fuck built him or what's up with copy chip technology within the span of his known lifetime. Copying forms is still a completely unknown power only in the hands of a select few when A-Trans is revived in ZX Advent.

Do you think that includes his dick?

Oh boy. I don't know much, bit how loosely related is embed related?

MMX1 intro:
If X were to break the first law of robotics, " A robot must never harm a human being," the results would be disastrous.

Of course human genocide is the major theme

All the bands like the Protomen are only tangentially related to the actual games and the stories behind them, though they deal with the same themes most of the time.

Protomen is its own canon in which Wily already won before Light even created Protoman

The Megas is closer lorewise, even subtly implementing lyrics indicating Shadow Man's origins. He wasn't developed by Wily but was discovered and remodeled. He may be of extraterrestrial origin
They also created clever explanations for somewhat questionable design decisions such as Crash Man's pacing AI. Never forget
However they don't quite have a forward-moving story, instead merely focusing on each game's plot and robot master personas.

Good to know. The Protomen are pretty a-fucking-mazing.

The end of History Repeating: Red interests me, because the end of it actually leaves all of the characters in a place extremely close to their original incarnations. Likely the best possible way it could have turned out, considering everything that had happened up to that point.

More as in, they designed everything in the games to go along with that idea, meaning until directly contradicted, it stands as canon.

Speaking of that. is Command Mission canon?

It's a side story set after X1-X8 and has been disowned and unacknowledged by Keiji Inafune and Capcom. It's about as canon as Super Adventure Rockman, which is to say, not at all.

Damn shame, considering it has some of the coolest stuff. Unfortunately, since it's set in 22XX, it contradicts that the elf wars should be happening around then, which the rest of the series is dependent upon. Also, Axl is supposed to be dead/corrupted.

Why is SAR not canon? Inafune didn't like it, but I've never seen anything contradict it.

still an incredible game, though

Nothing contradicts it, but Inafune designed the X series in order to insert darker themes that, in his opinion, didn't belong in the Classic games. Whereas he rewrote the Zero series to incorporate Zero's appearance in X6-8, he never had a change of heart about SAR. It's more of a tonal shift, but it's an unapproved tonal shift, nonetheless.

bump

Based on what the Supra Force Metal was supposed to do when it went off, Ferham having detonated the core might be what caused the Elf Wars. A massive upswing in Mavericks might cause the escalation that would result in Mother Elf being designed and activated; a backup for the event in which there could be no military victory.

Omega was probably my favorite megaman character when I was younger. Just look at the guy. Such a cool design and awesome fights in zero 3. Just wish he didn't turn gold when he absorbed the dark elf. Anyone else find that color scheme kind of tacky, or is it just me?

Basically, Carbons can plug bionics right into their nerves, is the impression I get.

Also I'm sure Tron Bonne (and likely Roll) have been designing terrifying custom cocks for Mega Man.

because they are furries

boner is practically in her name

Am i the only one who doesn't like those megaman rock bands?

Lumine didn't just want to remove humanity. He wanted to remove the older reploid models too. A fitting end for Sigma in X8, being crushed underneath the foot of his own creation who deemed him inferior and obsolete.

I assumed he was just a baby/small child in a giant suit. They obviously can't keep a babysitter to take care of bon bon so why not encase him in a steel bubble, slap some arms and legs on it and teach him how to beat up "the bad guys"?

bump

Well, he IS made after Einstein.

And Einstein did help create the atom bomb used on Japan.

Probably not. Music is highly subjective, and based on acquired tastes. I initially didn't really like The Protomen's first album musically, but the story was interesting enough that I ran through it enough times that I started liking as a whole.

Sounds just like modern progressivism.

bump

bump

Inafune should just stick to the series writing itself instead of trying to hamfist endings like he did with X5 and Z3.

bump

They tried, user. Didn't sold well.

Shame, that, I thought the OVA was pretty good and making more explicit references to Reploids being mechanical by X literally disconnecting his arm, or a Reploid's eyes being a digital projection against a flat surface, or bringing up for the first time in forever that Reploids can and do go crazy by sheer hardware/software failure at total random since Reploids aren't perfect.

kek

What's the official hierarchy from best to worst of the classic Megaman series?
Mine would be:
>9

5 = 4 = 9 > 2 = 3 = 10's DLC Mega Man Killer levels > 7 = MM&B = rest of 10 > 6 = 1 > 8

You shut your whore mouth, 4 was pretty good and 5's a favorite of mine.

I loved 10's DLC levels and the Wily weapons-archive fights, especially with each individual weaponry set being weak to something analogous to their original, but hated the rest of it.

Every good Mega Man game has something offensively bad about them.
Classic "Nintendo Hard" game. Simple and brief, sweet display of the hardware, but it has a lot of questionable stage design and pacing choices even for a first effort
Amazing soundtrack Just because it's overremixed doesn't mean its bad and some genius Robot Master design choices, but the Wily Stage bosses barring Mecha Dragon and Pico Pico-Chan are either mediocre or bullshit
Bretty gud followup to 2 but it's very obviously unfinished and sorely lacks beta testing
Hits most of the Mega Man checklist and the weapons actually start getting pretty useful here, but the stagnation starts to set in a bit
Same as 4. Really gimmicky bosses and stages, but both are a really impressive "tech demo" of what the NES is capable of
The Rush Suits are pretty impressive. That's bretty much it.
Limits your freedom on stage choices, but it uses some development history gags that couldn't be realized with the NES
Euuuugh
If you want to make a "greatest hits" tribute with vidya, this is how you fuggin do it. Shame about the Charge Buster and slide being removed
Never played.

Then later made pay-for through Proto Man.

How is it possible to care about Megaman's story this much?

I thought I was a loser for playing video games all day, but at least I'm not the kind of nerd who cares about video game stories. That's just pathetic.

Flibbity floo here's your (You)

Bippity Bump Bump