So, whats the best game you played this year so far? Chances are it will be your GOTY...

So, whats the best game you played this year so far? Chances are it will be your GOTY, the ones coming out by the end of the year are looking pretty weak.

Pic related for me, havent played a good FPS this fast in a handful of years, its faster than a lot of overrated old games, even on the original Doom you dont die as fast if you stop moving.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8mEP4cflrd4
youtu.be/VJYASX8Mjbc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This is why we can't have nice things.

I have a better idea: Let's talk about Dragon's Dogma.
DD2 when?

Toxikk genuinely impressed me when I first played it for 3 hours

wat? which UT you mean?
I played the alpha of the new one for a bit and there was only one fucking map with textures and everyone playing was fucking terrible.

I used to play 99, but hated 2004 and 3.

ds3

Devil Daggers is UNUSED POTENTIAL: THE GAME. Not wasted potential, but it'd be GOTY if it had an actual singleplayer campaign.

Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo is the best SHMUP in YEARS. The rank system tunes its difficulty to how hard you want it to be, and the low-fi visuals and music are pretty damn great.

nuDoom is pretty eh. Like playing Painkiller in Quake 3 maps, but with balance and focus all over the place. I'm writing a big-ass .txt on my thoughts over the game.

Rabi Ribi seems like a genuinely good game despite appearing like moeshit on first glance.

I like nuDoom. I think the graphics are great, the animations are great too, the gunplay is really nice even though some of the guns are mediocre, the art direction is fine I think, the pacing is better than most modern FPS, and the industrial music is definitely better than old Doom. The great animations and nice enemy feedback makes the gunplay more addicting than Painkiller and Serious Sam. I only dislike the completely linear map design.

Btw, why does it feel so satisfying to legitimately like a decent game that Holla Forums absolutely hates?

Because the glory kills, the OST, the demons in smaller numbers but with a sickass AI are all polarising.

I don't think anyone actually likes the arena segments. At most, people don't mind them or people hate them.

It has moved from there. And is by far better nu-shooters.

I think it might be because you're a contrarian.

Pretty funny, OP

This will be my GOTY when it releases in a couple of days. Tried it in beta and it was pretty good.

It's far more preferable to the distracting, annoying, and repetitive midi tracks that old Doom has. NuDoom's score is basically just a bunch of edgy noise being thrown in together rhythmically, and that's how a film or video game score should be. The role of music in video games is only to add immersion, therefore it shouldn't break the player's concentration by being autonomous.

Tarkovsky agrees with me.

Background music must be an organic part of the game. A good background music wouldn't be very enjoyable when being listened individually.

Hope it's good and sales well so they get the funding they need for a new STALKER

Holla Forums probably hates it for one reason or another, but I genuinely did like Salt and Sanctuary.

Of course, the game of the year I've played the most so far is probably Heart&Slash, but that game's just so broken in every way that it's practically still in Early Access.

You certainly haven't played a lot of FPS OP, no matter how many times you make this thread OP, everyday, nothing is gonna change. nuDoom is mediocre and isn't particularly fast.

I see nothing particularly notable.

You mean to tell me you didn't get sick of seeing the same animation over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again?

Doom ripped music from metal bands.

I can only imagine you think so because you like glory kills, it's pacing is otherwise no different from any modern FPS except it's flow is constantly being broken and is designed around this flow breaking concept (glory kills).

nuDoom uses dubstep, it is a very poor kind of music by design. it is not and has never been good, and I don't know where the hell you get the idea that nuDooms music is good atmosphere since none of the tracks made under the philosophy you espouse goes out of it's way to not dominate the sound and be in your face.

The polycount is high and the textures look like real. What's your idea of great graphics?

I can see them alright.

The animations are quite varied. Doom 1 and 2, Painkiller, and Serious Sam in the other hand is repetitive due to the limited animation variety.

No.

Glory kills only last a second, I don't understand your grudge. RE4 has QTE kills but no one complains.

No, it's industrial.

The music lacks melody so I can focus on the gameplay instead of the music.

Kill yourself

No, it's fucking dubshit. It uses the same modulated bass and drops every dubshit song uses

Embed related is fucking industrial.

Grim Dawn. This year has been incredibly forgettable, much worse than even bad years like 2012/2013/2015.

Otherwise my GOTY would be the WWE 2K16 PC port. Is this seriously it or am I just forgetting a bunch of shit

everything this guy said. except that glory kills are far less annoying than i thought they would be.

no one said the game looks like shit, but it doesnt exactly distinguish itself from any other aaa shooter that came out recently.

dont get your hopes up user it will just hurt more when they get crushed

Dubstep, it uses all the same techniques and is made to sound industrial but it is fundamentally dubstep.

The music is loud and in your face, good atmospheric music is subdued and generally softer and more quiet.

Some dubstep music do sound like they're inspired by NIN, but modulated bass is not exclusive to dubstep. Tetsuo The Bullet Man OST by NIN has drops and modulated bass.

It's not even a good industrial music. It's only industrial in the first 1 minute or so, and turned into a generic rock music. You could at least post an actually good industrial music like vid related.

I'm referring to the Glory Kill animations you mong, there is no variety whatsoever.

It's not about the timbre or dynamics, but the melody. The lack of meaningful melody means the music isn't distracting.

Glory kill is no big deal, I said. No worse than RE4.

heptacraft
A starcraft 2 mod that doesn't suck
7 races and its expected that you random between a few
Small tight community
Good RTS action

And what you posted was the same kind of modulated bass in every dubstep song. nudoom uses shitty dubstep music, get over it.

I wish faggots like you would die. I can't believe you actually enjoy modern OSTs that are just noise to be used in the background. Faggots like you are killing background music.

rabi ribi
EDF4.1
new odin sphere
guilty gear revelator

but by all means please send praises to a mediocre shootan game that you will never replay again in your life but you'll still talk about it in superlatives because it wasn't total shit like 95% of games that came out this year

Painkiller has ragdoll and gib physics so it literally has infinite amount of death animations. Goty 2004

Except it is, because it's always blaring even when you're doing jackshit.

In RE4 it's a last resort since you automatically lose health everytime you're grappled to punish you for letting it happen. The focus is not letting them grab you, at all. In nuDoom Glory kills is not only a central mechanic but is something you are encouraged and expected to do constantly thus the one animation of RE4 which wasn't a problem becomes a massive problem because it's the only thing you'll see throughout the whole fucking thing.

The game I enjoyed the most this year? Tie between Furi and Ace of Seafood

The game I thought was really well done and excelled in it's genre? N++
I don't like picking one game. I enjoyed a lot of stuff this year but not one thing stands out to me as "the best" because most of the things I've played this year were very enjoyable.

I dont like Serious Sam. And Painkiller had a lot of shitty levels, Necrovision was better.

2016 is flying by

Get over what?

There was a time when OST's were just atmospheric noise in the background with no meaningful melody. Good times.

Not very distracting for me.

No, I mean the "shoot head, press x to kick" thing. It's the same thing as nudoom, only with the clunky tank control.

Critic and audience score is pretty low, is it worth playing?

I dont really rememeber it much but at the time i liked it more. The setting is the WW1 btw

So what we have is a shooter which does its absolute best to pad out its length and test your patience with trivial encounters and DEAD TIME, only 'gets better' halfway through, oddly contradictory game design which halts the fun with DEAD TIME and upgrades crap, an artstyle, story, lore and soundtrack which try their very best to not be unique, conflicting black humor and tone, questionable weapon balance, a Glory Kill system which greatly rewards me for playing these kinds of shooters like I do normally, repetitive level design which forgoes unique handcrafted combat encounters in favor of spawning in enemies and just letting shit roll down the hill from there, a combat dynamic which is rarely ever shaken up or taken to interesting directions, and we end up with something that's best described as the gameplay of Painkiller with the enemies of Doom with the weapon balance of Quake/Serious Sam with the story of a Call of Duty with the artstyle of something incredibly generic with the soundtrack of Bayformers, in the maps of Quake 3/Unreal Tournament, yet possesses the strengths of none of them

Has anyone else really bothered by how fuckhuge the weapons are in recent FPS games

Like at the very least they take up 20% of your screenspace. There was this one weapon in DOODMOOM that took up nearly 50% in its alternate fire mode.

Why the fuck does everyone keep forgetting Stardew Valley came out this year? Even if you don't like farming simulators it was by and far the best made game this year.

Absolutely
it is incredibly unrefined, but it's a damn blast to play once you understand how it works, it's sort of like EYE in terms of how crazy it gets
You get to perform combos, and the higher your combo is, the more powerful you get. Higher levels cause fire and lightning to erupt from your body, you have a Bullet Time ability which makes you move and attack faster while everything else goes slower, which refills with kills. Upholding your combo is pretty damn enjoyable. It gets much better once it drops the WW1 pretense and goes full crazy with vampires, hell, Satan, and you getting a shredder claw which can fire magic spells. It's pretty damn buggy, but it's really worth a try as there's nothing quite like it

There is actually three different kinds of moves and it's context sensitive to the type of stun you gave them, not just one exclusive one. If you use the roundhouse then that's because you only manage to stun them by hitting them in the face. If every enemy in nuDoom had that the Glory Kills wouldn't have worn out their welcome nearly as much as they did.

Fuck score reviews, it's so blatantly rigged that you're better off just asking people and watching commentless gameplay videos.

I'm assuming you're talking about the chaingun's sentry mode where three more barrels pop out of it.

(Checked)
/thread

and if they count:

Out of all of those my favorite is DD but I'm not sure if it counts.

Now there's around 8 textured maps and nearly 30 untextured ones. Of course the untextured ones are all completely playable and the only reason you wouldn't want to play on them is if you were a shallow gwafixfag.

The original Deus Ex. The soundtrack is pure gold and the level design is unmatched after 16 years.

probably that one way heroics remake. its not perfect though, for every two things it does right it does something wrong, which still shines in comparison to anything else ive played.

bunny time is another really good one, i didnt realize it was this year.

Necrovision is fun as hell. You can kung fu kick zombies in the head while shooting vampires in the dick. It's buggy though

So far it looks like it will be KoF XIV for me. Loved the roster and the gameplay holds up to the rest of the series. I've had a better experience with the netcode after the patch than what I've had with other recent fighters and SNK is already addressing the few concerns with the game in the October patch. Plus there hasn't been any kike tier DLC, just two alt costumes.

My only problem with it is that I wish you can disable rush mode and filter out people that use it online, it's really boring to fight a casual that relies on it. It basically gives you a free win since it's so predicable.

Other games that came close;
YS VIII it fixed everything wrong with YS Celceta and added more improvements/content. Probably would have picked it if I could understand japanese

Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics mostly because I like the series. Fixes some issues the original had, but I really hate the new art direction and music.

I get a boner every time I remember how Sunset flopped and killed an entire studio.

We totally fucking care.

Background "music" must be little more than ambient noise. Hence the fucking word "background" in the name.

You can fuck right off with your hipster scarf, glasses, fedora, and $12 coffee. The Quake soundtrack is flawless as a video game OST, and as a stand-alone ambient album.

Prove me wrong, faggit.

Probably the new Ace Attorney. I mean, its definitely not perfect, but not a lot of games this year have really blown me away and the new AA game exceeded all my expectations. Hopefully Xenoverse 2 and Shadow Warrior 2 are good though

Best game in what category?

Also, I just realized I don't play a whole lot of different games like I used to.

I guess I just don't have the time.

Doom's soundtrack was industrial. Carmack, Romero and the others were big into MInistry, Nine Inch Nails and the like, so made the soundtrack in that vein. Why do you think NiN did the soundtrack to Quake?

Are you sure you're thinking original Doom and not the playstation version or something?

This one is easy, supposedly the engine couldn't have more enemies on screen at once, it was capped at like what 12 or 16 I think

Are you retarded?

Oh shit are the whiny nostalgia fags complaining about a game they never played?

All of the shit about "old doom" being great was invalidated to me once it became clear and apparent that everyone arguing for "old doom" was arguing for the modernized version of it. That being all the fixes and shit that mods over the vast amounts of years have been done for it.
Once I realized that, I realized that the majority of Holla Forums's opinion on the subject (like nearly every fucking game) was starting from a false premise.

Yeah yeah, you know what's infinitely slower than any of them? Doom 3. Where were the complaints then?
Nope, it was all just about flashlights and system specs.
And on the subject of movement, the latest Doom requires you to do things like jump and actually AIM your weapon.

Hardly an issue when the enemy count can stay constant so long as they respawn quickly (and they do). Each room will tend to try to throw a variety of enemies at you, some far more mobile than others and some smarter than others.
I've never felt like I could just walk into a room and kill everything in a leisurely manner in this new doom game.

I'm sorry, what backwards ass logic is this?

Holy shit dude, bait taken!

Oh shit is the one nuDoom defender claiming its only detractors never played the game?

All I do is play at a larger resolution. That's it. Sometimes I turn auto aim off and use mouse look. Jump is disabled too.
Plenty of fucking people complained. Doom 3 was always shown as a reboot, Doom 4 was not. With that said, Doom 3 sucks.
20 year old mechanics in a new game. WOW! I'm buying 20 copies right now.

Doom 3 was shit. Even "professional reviews" said as much, veiled under the "we have to give it an 8 of course" obligatory ass-kissing. It had respawning enemies, samey looking environments, cheap jump scares that get old really quickly etc etc. and it just wasn't fucking Doom. It was an atmospheric space horror game using Doom lore/designs as backdrop.

Where were YOU when Doom 3 came out?

Had a few threads when this shit came out.
Shit started creeping through about being able to aim with the mouse and other shit that just wasn't true about the original Doom games.
Then it broke, they were talking about it from the standpoint of its modern incarnation. The game with all sorts of mods and shit attached to it so it could have all those modern design features.
Its not backwards ass logic to then invalidate all their claims.
Its like saying Skyrim is a great fucking game, ya know, after you put all those mods on it!

The original Doom was great for its time. It still has many fine merits to warrant being played today.
Comparing it and the latest incarnation however is a bit dubious when you consider the technological shifts and the 2, nearly 3 decades of advancement in all areas of the video game industry and the evolution of people's expectations.

And it is a far truer sequel to the Doom games than "Doom 3" ever was or could be.
Doom 3 was the first taste I ever had of a game's name being slapped on to something that was completely a different game.
Survival horror jump scare bullshit? Get the fuck out of here with that.

3 decades of advancement and yet the newest game can't handle as many enemies on screen as the original game, nor can it support an equally as robust map editor, because it was ported to consoles.

no one will be willing to judge the game on its own merits until they can try it out for themselves without paying. remember, piratefags often cite that doom was as popular as it was "thanks to us".
maybe if ID had their monetary support they wouldnt have gotten bought out by bethesda and they wouldnt have anything to whine about.

By the way, I played the new game, I own the new game, I've also played original doom and doom 2.

Here's a couple of factiods:

1. It's way slower
2. it has complete design focus on melee in order to try to make up for this (less powerups and pickups because you get them by bashing enemies when they're flashing), as a way to keep on the pressure with a much slower character, when in regular doom it was more like a proto-Touhou shooter where quick feet and reflexes were king.
3. the weapons are interchangable and have no real oomph that separates them from eachother and around the same amount of power, save for the unlimited peestol, which is weak as shit and has a mode that is the complete opposite of what you should be doing design wise (hanging back and sniping)
4. It's shit
5. The design of each level is poor because the drops are enemy based and you have a weapon that is specifically designed to give you tons of ammo when you kill a dude, so there's no real frantic level searching feeling or need to save bullets because they literally drop off of enemies. tldr resource managment portion of old doom is non existant.

And that's my review. It's a piss poor shooter that doesn't compare, it's babby mode compared to old doom, which wasn't very hard in the first place.

the new DOOM is a fucking mess, and DOOM 3 was way fucking better then this garbage, no
matter what the media is shilling. It's not a good game, you should have higher standards then this, and you need to play the old ones instead of bitching like you know fucking anything.

Diablo 3 RoS, picked it up after I left the initial game soon after release.
I like what they have done with it, added arcade mode to not bother you with the story anymore and finally allow for more fun abilities to be combined.
Something they should have done way earlier because if D3 did something right it was the hit feedback.

the Dead Rising 1 remaster was the only thing I enjoyed this year

Also it drew clear influence from the muddy shooters like Call of Duty, and it shows it has no idea what it's doing and that the people who worked on it are all newbies who know the words but don't comprehend the sick beats, you get me.

Nope.
Doom3 is a way better Doom than Doom 4.
Also a proper PC game (the original, not the downgraded BFG crap edition).
The slowspeed mode is nothing more than a console concession to make it playable with a controller.
Doom3 ran on a toaster. I know because I played it on one with 20-30 fps on 800x600.
Doom4 crashed to desktop immediately because "muh OpenGL out of memory", while everything released until 2014 runs just fine with 60 fps on 1920x1080. That is simply a shitty console port.

I noticed this too. These people are attached to a mod not to the real DooM game.
Thats pretty idiotic since this new DooM could be modded too.

Check these dubs Beth shill

Patrician taste my friend

Heres the real GOTY

How delusional are you? We're talking base game shit here, point out to me anyone other then you or butthurt barricade brigade that says that they're referring to a mod when they compare.

Not a single one, you know that you're bullshitting because you have no leg to stand on.

Snapmap != actual fucking mod support

Imagine killing yourself OP. What beautiful bliss it would be. How would you do it? Cyanide? bleach and vinegar? A good old fashioned noose? Or perhaps a bullet to the head?
All these would still be a better experience than playing DOOM.
Tired of this fag shilling his meme game everyday.

I like how the one way people here have to argue against nuDoom critics isn't to address their actual points, but to simply say they haven't played the game or are comparing it to a modded Doom (which still doesn't really work, since nuDoom should really hold up against a modded Doom if it was actually good).

Doom4 is bad copy of BrutalDoom.
It has nothing in common with the original gameplay. There is even a Mod for Doom2, which replicates Doom4 gameplay in Doom2.

Reminder that NuDoom has been cracked besides the demo, and that they no longer have that shitty excuse.

Man it was NOT worth the 60Gb torrent, are there just actual shills on this board or is this just leftovers from the last reddit/halfchan controversies?

that's a pretty good excuse

Some of it has to be shills. They're much too dedicated not to be.

Its both user
We still have daily Overwatch threads here

I already saw you post this same shit 3 times

This is the original DooM, noticed the speed and that you dont even have to aim.
youtube.com/watch?v=8mEP4cflrd4

This is new Doom
youtu.be/VJYASX8Mjbc

Pretty sure you didnt played either

So you think every game needs some baby tools, like TES games, to be modded?

Kill yourself OP you massive fucking shill

You people are fucking retarded, jesus fuck

Consider suicide OP

Totally fair.
Also what difficulty is guy on right playing? There were far more enemies when I was playing. They were also harder to kill.

If you aren't constantly holding sprint then you aren't playing Doom

Or the incredibly good map editor for DOOM1/2 that is vastly superior to snapmap? Every game should have its tools released, especially one that is known for them like Doom. Vanilla Doom is merely okay and wads like Demonsteele are what make it fun. Why should I give a shit about nudoom when the base game isn't any better than vanilla Doom 2 let alone many of the free wads I can get for it. It doesn't matter whether you're comparing nudoom to vanilla or to modded Doom, after this many years it should be better than both but clearly it isn't.

Yeah it's a modifier to your speed that's for sure

Better than Super Castlevania 4.

Doesnt really matter how he plays, the game is fucking garbage shill.

LMAO

These idiots are trying hard to make it look worse because otherwise their bullshit is exposed

and i just picked two random videos on the same difficulty, im not biased like you brain dead retards

Holy fuck OP, you and your friends should just give up. NuDoom is a mediocre game and a pretty forgettable one too, only because it doesn't look as bad as modern shooters (that are shit by default) it doesn't means that the game itself is good. I sincerely don't know why you still give a fuck, the game passed under everyone's nose and not exactly for underrated, you will see that by the next year merely anyone will remember that this game existed.

WEW

Ok tell us, what kind of mod did use? Because i'm pretty sure that the video is showing the vanilla version of the original Doom.

Thread isnt about DooM. The faggot haters like you are making it so.

Mouselook and a sight make it obvious that the BR faggot is using a sourceport.
But that does not change a fucking thing

actually it does. In the later levels you really can't get away with that pussy-footing. On top of that, it seems like the enemy spawns are very very low.
I'd imagine its at a lower difficulty setting.

There may be some truth to this.
Compared to pretty much every fucking modern shooter that only allows you to have at most 2 guns, wants to be a cover shooter, punishes you for playing aggressively, wants to be OMG SO REALISTIC, has a fucking stealth level in a game not built for stealth for some reason;
The new Doom doesn't have any of that shit. Feels like an old school shooter and the inverse of all that modern shit.

So maybe that's what it is. And if so, good. I could only hope more shooters start to go into that direction again.

Oh, and OP's thread is falling apart because there has been nearly nothing released in 2016 that anybody gives much of a fuck about.
Unless its Overwatch, everyone is playing shit that was released in 2015 or before.

- Holla Forums retard, 2016

You kids are fucking posers. I played this shit even on the Snes back then.

Even Life is Strange and Overwatch gets threads in this shithole. But DooM is attacked like its fucking trash like Fallout 4.

You people are retarded.

Because it's bastardized trash.

No, you people are just fucking retarded.
I see WAY worse FPS games being praised in this dump all the time.

This is too much, good thing you made this post so we know to disregard your opinion.

Yeah, no
This cant be real

I keep shitting on these threads
Life is Strange is contantly derailed and Overwatch is being personally defended by a hotpocket who does whatever he wants because Mark is dumb kike who actually bought that piece of shit.

Go back to Reddit already

C'mon, you were basically asking for it especially in the part of "its faster than a lot of overrated old games" like if you were assmad because people consider other games been better than this one
What happen we hurt your feelings?

So you first said that it was using mods and now you are saying that he's only using a sourceport?

What the fuck? I didn't even responded to you, you are getting a little desperate here OP

Ok, now you are just butthurt

MUH BOARD CULTURE

Back to Overwatch Overcuck

I'd love to but they're having issues.

When i started playing i thought it would be slow because of all the lying bashers saying is was SlOW, but very few games with a campaing are as fast. Thats what i meant.

MUH BANDWAGON, MUST FIT IN HARDER

These fuckers must all be teenagers

Despite denuvo and the episodic releases, the new Hitman is probably my GOTY so far.

One of the worst fucking things ever and the shittiest concept because its never actually used correctly.

What would be the correct usage of it?

Back to >>>/cuckchan/

Well there are two ways to do it.
The first would be for its intended purpose. You release portions of a much larger game at a time and price it accordingly.
So if you have a 60 dollar game you release in episodes that would total up to no more than that 60 dollar price tag.
This comes with a caveat in that your episodic releases have to come fast. Not one every year but perhaps every 6 to 8 months.
This never seems to be the case, though.
Episodic releases are treated as if they're releasing a bunch of smaller games instead of one big one just put into chunks. This changes development in small but ultimately snowballing ways. On top of that, this leads to prices being gouged and you may never get that "completed" game.
The worse offenders in this category is Half Life 2, where episode 3 became a never to be released Half Life 3.
Star Craft 2, where you are given 3 chunks at 60+ dollars each of the SAME GAME.
And there are a bunch of others between those two that fuck it up in all various ways. Usually on price point. Some do it ok, but those are never the bigger studios and usually that is done for purposes of generating revenue to COMPLETE the game.

The second way, and one that I would love to see more, is to release a completed game where you pay maybe 20 or 30 dollars for the base and "first" episode and then perhaps 10 dollars per episode after that. All ready and available for you. In this way, if you like the game enough you can continue on and if you don't you're at worst out 20 or so dollars and maybe got at least a couple hours of entertainment but not enough to warrant getting more episodes.
This way is EXTREMELY consumer friendly and i've only seen it happen with one game.
Katamari for the 360.

That's just how I see it. Now go point out all those Telltale games to me or whatever the fuck.
#NotAllEpisodicGames
I fucking hate how the future is ruled by autism.

Bet you also bought Diablo 3 and Legion didnt you?

Other than all the episodes adding up to no more than the original price that's pretty much how the episodes in Hitman work.

so you still have to deal with some form of kikery.
Eh, could be worse I guess.

That sums up 2016 really.

Plus the overall lack of map design, that went for a generic small arena design. And the abuse of spawns, instead of putting more effort into proper placements.
There was too few scenarios were you fought with more than ten enemies at once, especially in Hell.
nuDoom feels like a castrated version of Hunters Moon, with some doses of Brutal Doom.

But the most important point is there's no aesthetic distraction. NuDoom is not a game that needs incredible sound awareness. I think sound design in AAA video games needs to pay more attention to the aesthetics of the game, because due to technological progress and the ease of making indie games today, being AAA is more about delivering better aesthetics than superior competition.

I agree that there are so many rooms for improvement in nuDoom's gameplay. I don't deny that it's a flawed game, but these are all minor complaints for me. Forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm doing a bunch of work right now so I can't reply to all your complaints, but all your complaints boil down to "it's not balanced enough." Yes it's a flawed game, but I don't see how other games released in the year are any less flawed. Compared to any game released this year, Doom delivers the most enjoyment regardless of the flaws you listed. Look, I don't care about a game should be "competitive". Video games are nothing more than a form of entertainment, the main goal of entertainment is to deliver intuition derived from enjoyment, and nuDoom was more successful in that regard than other games of 2016.

So my point is, the implemented mechanics in Doom might be flawed competitively, but it is less flawed than other games of the year, and aesthetically the mechanics are successful in delivering entertainment, therefore, GOTY.

Well thank you for admitting that Holla Forumsaggots have shit sensibility for aesthetics.

It is only true for art films, and video games along with action films are not art. Doom is a "noisy" game by default, this is what you play to get noisy, therefore the score must be noisy.

You're the hipster here. Ambient is essentially boring and simpleton af when not used as a score. Listen to Bach you degenerate.

Games should always be primarily about gameplay, and everything else should revolve around providing the best gameplay first and foremost. It's what makes them games in the first place. While aesthetic is a nice touch and can ruin a game if its terrible, it shouldn't be the primary concern of a game.

Quality of a gameplay isn't all about competition. It's like GTA IV that is flawed competitively compared to SA and it's predecessors, but I still have a lot of fun with the game due to the physics adding a lot to the aesthetics. NuDoom is objectively more enjoyable than other games released in 2016, and that's all that matters.

I don't think that's necessary. Are visuals, acting, and, music absolutely more important than story/characters in a movie? They can be, depending on the movie, but they can also be in service to the story/characters just as gameplay can be in service to story in certain games. Something like Morrowind might have better gameplay if you give it an actually good combat system and fill the game with enemy encounters so you're doing something other than walking around and talking to people (which are shit gameplay), but that would damage the story of the game because it would make the setting less believable and rob you of interesting dialogue with NPCs. But you also can't just remove the gameplay and turn Morrowind into a book or movie because then you miss out on the ability to go where you please, experiment with joining its political factions, and learning about the setting in your own nonlinear story.

Entertainment isn't as objective as you think it is and there is no 100% universally correct way for a game to be made.

How about compared to games that weren't shit?

Why are there so many normalfag casuals on this board?

Kill yourself OP

Retard.

I haven't played it, but I have looked it up on youtube and it falls flat at the department of aesthetics. To each their own taste, but definitely not my GOTY.

Another rehash of Demon Souls and Dark Souls with nothing meaningful added.

Looks good but the physics are 2002 tier and I absolutely loathe MP games. Gives me nausea too. It's MP only if you're a fan of classic arena FPS, because it's nothing but gimped Quake 3.

Played it. The physics are bad and the animations are laggy. I can't see how it's any enjoyable.

Literally the same as it's predecessors. Still boring too. Not my cup of tea, and definitely not GOTY worthy.

*goty

Learn taste in shooters, OP. These gents know what they're talking about.

Why are these shitters running around this board making shit threads? Where do they come from? Unironically praising AAA trash should be bannable offense.

Fuck if I know
I wasn't prepared for the amount of posts ITT defending the travesty of an OP when I came in

EDF is boring trash.

Woops, looks like every one of your opinions in this thread has been steaming hot garbage! This means that onlookers are unlikely to take the content of your post seriously!
Try again in another thread, when your opinions have not yet revealed you as a lowest-common-denominator moron!

You move like a snail in that game, I'm pretty sure you run faster in fucking CoD, go play any arena shooter and learn what fast is, oh wait you won't be able to aim with your xbox controller you likely have hooked up to your pc like the pathetic casual you are.

How about really fun gameplay and fantastic level design. Do those not matter any more?

A rehash of two good games is better than an abortion of DOOM

What exactly does this mean? Also UT's weapons are all far more interesting than Quakes and I say this as a Quake guy, you certainly can't just say that UT = gimped Quake

The game where you can pick up any creature, climb on giant monsters, and create tornadoes or earthquakes that shake the trees, rocks, and grass around them?? Did you accidentally play Skyrim and mistake it for DD?

And why do physics matter so much to you? Core gameplay is the most important part here and I dare you to find an action RPG with better combat than DD. Though M&B has more depth to it I still prefer DD's because of extremely well done animations and feedback. And how were the animations laggy for you? I run the game at a constant 60FPS and all the animations scale 1:1 with the framerate.

How is placing a bunch of C4 around a skyscraper, luring a giant insect army to climb up it, then blowing it up while jumping into a helicopter that your teammate is piloting "boring?"

If all you do is use the assault rifle on a ranger then sure the game is boring, but that's on you.

I heard this claim before and didn't believe it, so on the CODBLOPSLMAO 3 good goy free weekend on $team I tested this and somehow it is mostly true (if you count the air dodges/boosts rather than just sprinting). When did we get to the point where COD is faster than DOOM?

Holy shit.

Nudoom was fun as fuck
The gunplay was fast as fuck and got my blood pumping, glory kills may be scripted bullshit events but ended fast enough to not inpeed the flow of combat. Upgrade system sucked dicks but thats mostly because im sick and tired of seeing this god-awful system being reused over and over again in shooter, basically making it so one gun/weapon becomes so powerful it trumps all others, or the upgrades do jack shit and feels as if they served no purpose.
Level design was w/e, pretty neat and a lil complex but nothing that made me wrack my brain too much.
Art design is fucking trash. Don't get me wrong the graphics look good yadda yadda. But its the monster designs i'm really disappointed in. They all look like fucking bugs or robots, with all that heavy looking plate that reminds me of either thick coats of steel, or a bugs carapace. No longer the horrific hellspawn we once saw in the past installments.
I HATE the soundtrack, to the point of where inwhich i just muted the whole game and put on some black metal in order to compensate for the annoying dubstep bullshit that is NuDooms OST.

Although, groundbreaking art, or astounding level design doesn't constitute a good shooter.
Gameplays solid and way better than what most AAA trash brings nowadays, and that's pretty much all I need to have a grand-ol time.

>animations are laggy
>animations are laggy
>animations are laggy
BETHESDRONES, ARE YOU EVEN TRYING

There are a lot of factors that define the quality of a game. I said it's okay if you consider it a GOTY, it looks like a well made game, but it's just not my cup of tea at all.

I actually enjoyed nudoom more than the simon says ARPG game without roleplaying called dark souls. I loathe the level design and inability to make an overpowered build of Souls more than the stupid levels of nuDoom. Map design is more essential to dungeon crawler games than FPS games, and souls failed miserably on that regard.

I mean, nothing in that game is any different from Quake 3. The physics of jumping, running, enemy feedback when getting hit, are all as stiff as Quake 3. Give me a reason why UT4 is anything more than Quake 3 with better graphics.

All done with laggy animations and subpar physics. You can't do any of those in GTA IV, but throwing molotov in GTA IV is still more fun than spamming whatever crazy spells or climbing whatever asshole in DD.

Because physics is the one that gives feedback, it is core gameplay.

Easy, Severance and Dark Souls, even though I don't like DS the combat is still better than DD. M&B too but it's a shame you don't like it.

It's not about the framerate. The animations are just stiff looking, and when you hit enemies, the game gets paused for a few miliseconds to indicate flinch from the impact. I hate it when a game does that, it's ugly. Feedback should be told through animations and sound effects.

Sounds like some wacky shit from Just Cause 2 or Saints Row. Yes, it doesn't make the game less boring.

DUDE YOU ARE SUCH A LIKE

LIKE A LE EPIC TROLE XDDDDDDD

YOU TROLED THOSE GAMERGATING Holla Forums USERS FROM THE MYSTERIOUS HACKER 4CHAN!!!!1 GOOD JOB XDDDDDDD

TODD HOWARD GODD HOWARD XDDDDDDDDDDD

The undead settlement is easily one of the best designed areas of any ARPG, I didn't like how linear the game was overall but they had some great design in places like that, the library/archives place, and the entirety of the Cathedral of the Deep.

I just did, I pointed out that the weapon design is considerably more creative and varied. There is no weapon in Quake quite like the Shock Rifle or Flak Cannon in terms of how many different creative uses they have and opportunities for interesting plays they give. Also the CTF maps are much better, and the only thing that Quake really has over UT is that bunnyhopping is a lot more interesting than the weird momentum system of UT. I do appreciate some of the parkour features added in UT4 though and dodges have always been interesting.

Where are you getting that these animations are laggy? I think DD has some of the best animations of any action game and there's a ton of feedback for everything you do. Look at embed related and notice the weight of each swing, the reaction and hitstop on enemies, and the chunky sound on contact. How is this not really good feedback? I can see why you don't like hitstop but that's an issue of too much feedback, not a lack of it.

I'll take it
I'll accept the argument but I wouldn't say one is significantly better than the other. For one on one fights it certainly is, but hectic fights in DaS are miserable cheesefests whereas that's what DD was built for.

Even if you personally don't like hitstop I don't think you really "can't see why it's enjoyable." The positive qualities of the game are pretty obvious and hitstop isn't something that everyone else hates just as much as you. And even if it doesn't have combat as good as Severance, neither does anything else that came out this year or pretty much any year since it (at least for ARPGs, otherwise DMC4 would be numero uno). I think that you're just a neo-contrarian that wants to seem different than everyone else on this board so you've told yourself that nudoom is good and everything else people here like is bad.

Releasing the entire game, like how we used to get.

The fact that you bought it is proof you should kill yourself.

Dude I didn't buy it, I was just asking.

If it was the full game I probably wouldn't have anyways because I don't like stealth games.

Okay, they were a kind of decent, but not the rest, and still they disregarded simplicity in favor of awe. Another thing I don't like about Souls is how there's no aspect of survival at all. Survival and item salvaging are essential to dungeon crawler games, but Souls have things such as replenishing estuus and respawning enemies, which make it feel more like a beat em up game than an RPG game. Even Skyrim is a better dungeon crawler RPG.

Those are really minor differences that you were pointing out. It still plays like Quake 3. Enemies don't even react to damage. This is what I don't like from MP games. Flinching is less apparent than in SP games which makes the gunplay feels less interesting.

He swings his sword like it's made out of plastic. Even Rune looks better.

Ruined by hit lags.

DS has it chunkier.

I didn't say that it lacks feedback. It's just a really shit looking feedback.

Weapons in DS actually have weight, unlike DD. I also dislike "hectic" fights, for melee combat games I like the non exaggerated fights of Severance, DS, Chivalry, and Exanima far more than DD. Even for hectic combat, I find Jedi Outcast's approach to be way more preferable than DD's DMC approach. It's certainly better than Shadow of Mordor, but DD just has no "weight" IMO.

It looks ugly and unnatural, that's why. That's not how feedback in video games should work.

I don't even like nuDoom that much, it was barely above mediocre, but I legitimately think that all games released this year are worse than nuDoom.

So far, I'm pretty torn between
Also, holy fuck Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 not only exists, but it came out already? Has anyone played it? How is it different from 1? Is it better or worse?

DOOM was pretty good. Not amazing, but pretty good. It did what it said on the tin, which is sadly more than you can say for most games these days.

it can be a hard call as to whether or not a game deserves to be called fun when its largely due to mods.
do custom maps in warcraft 3 count as warcraft 3 being fun?

furi was better tbh

Reminder that cuckchan was down for some time recently, remember this and many aspects of this thread will begin to make sense.

Shit, I knew I forgot one. I really liked that one too, but I don't really get the similarities between it and HLD beyond them both having swords, neon art styles, and a dash button. I'm on The Scale in Furier, but I've taken a break to work on Wolf: TNO, Binary Domain, and the Shadowrun games.

i dont recall asking why youre here

This!

Yeahp, this place is full of hipster trash just like I thought.

nu doom is shit.

Embed related

I haven't heard the term "hipster" in a decade. Nostalgia. Also your insults are low energy

You know this is just a white flag, right pussyboy?

I can talk shit about them and that still counts as "talking about" them without unironically praising them.

I don't think this kind of rule would be a good idea though because who gets to decide what game is so shit it's not worthy to praise? Freedom of speech is the only reason anyone actually goes here and it would obviously not be a good idea to jeapordize it.

Nice reddit tier taste.

If you can't defend your reasoning outside of logical fallacies and banning/blocking, then you are clearly wrong.

Spoken like a true underage pleb.

Well maybe now you realize the cold hard truth.
The majority of people really don't want freedom of speech.
They want freedom from people who don't share their same opinions.

Its only when they find themselves against that majority do they scream MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

Reminder: Hugboxes are not formed by intention they simply form organically.

We came here because we could say what we want, when we want. If we had a problem with the mods on a certain board, we could make our own damn board and talk shit. The global mods don't give a shit, especially considering that they have shit on here that would get your ass banned in five minutes from pretty much every other mainstream place.

Conforming to safe spaces only allows it to grow. Automods/self moderation on online forums is far better than any sort of moderation team as it cannot be biased.

If Mark or somebody comes knocking on my door over something I said, I'll move to a different place. Humans naturally do not want to be controlled, it's the new age of Streisand effect where trying to silence free speech only makes it stronger

So because people want to discuss quality, good games and have enriching discussion that will enable you to learn about more games that are out there, they're hipsters?

Sorry, but you can't put blanket statements and meaningless diatribes to people who don't like things that the masses or lowest common denominator are attracted to. Some people demand more from their hobby.

Next you'll tell everyone that if normalfags ruin any subculture, that telling them to fuck off makes you a hipster.

I could hardly believe he was being serious at first. I foolishly believed Holla Forums had higher standards than this.

dubs#4

Why didn't you sage?

That said, I forgot to sage.

Well nuDoom has 3 strikes against Holla Forums ever liking it or being able to discuss it in a reasonable manner:

-it's a reboot of a cherished older game
-it's AAA and published by bethesda
-normalfags (ledditors and even some cuck journos) like it

So yeah, it stands no chance here. Any attempt at discussing it short of shitting on it is poking the wasp nest.

And poking wasp nests is fun!

goty is easily UT even though it's not my thing
this year i haven't played much vidya since the first good game to come out since 2011 is UT and i already have played the few good games between 2007-11 and i have already played anything my thing from before 2007 even more

I feel sorry for you, my fellow internet users. If DOOM isn't your GOTY then you must have terrible taste.

Its funny how the people constantly shouting reddit are the ones that want to turn Holla Forums into reddit.

Because you see reddit downvotes they don't wanna see, hence they create an echo chamber, you guys shitpost and sage, basically doing the same thing purely because you don't want to hear about particular thing, the old "stop liking what I don't like" shit.

Its funny really, this Holla Forums is a fucking graveyard, our PPH has dropped to 400 and barely moves from there and you guys just double tier elitism because you treat old franchises like a mother hen, its sad and pathetic and pretty much the biggest reason this Holla Forums continues its death spiral.

Remember, when you've pushed everyone out, the board barely has 50 PPH and you do nothing but circlejerk about the same shit, remember these posts because its on your fucking heads.

Those 6 or so months where the site was barely usable may have contributed to all of that as well.

The site is still kind of screwy sometimes.

The Nioh beta is better than any full release so far this year, honestly.

user that was the worst job at fitting in i've seen in the past few months, congrats
now you go back to reddit

You can leave, no one wants your kind here >>>/reddit/

that contributed, but weve bounced back and fourth since then, it shouldnt be this low on a weekend.

Maybe people are actually playing video games.
Overwtach is pretty popular.

We're going to have to deal with this shit when Quake Champions comes out aren't we?

Maybe you should go back to your
safe space

i hope people are playing video games, but anons will usually find time to talk about it.

i hope so. if that is the case, it will entertain me even if the game itself does not. wont you be amused as well?

I tend to keep a few threads here open while I play. Generally threads move slow enough that I can respond during dead-zones of whatever i happen to be playing.

My favourite part of this pasta is the bit that laments PPH, as if quantity of posts is connected to quality. Prior experience would suggest that the two are negatively correlated.

Maybe you should get some rope and do the retarded thing pictured.

It will be even worse because the Overwatch cancer will be there to shit on it because its not Blizzard.

Games released this year? I guess The Division has to be the "best" game I played this year, by that classification.

Otherwise, Banished is probably the best game I've played this year.

Some studies prove that humans react faster to sound than visual stimuli. Sound does a lot to have you pay attention to what's going on, and sound quite frankly involves the player more. When nuDoom takes an approach of being surrounded by enemies at all times, you bet your ass sound design is important.
Funny that you should mention 'aesthetics', because nuDoom's soundtrack has none but the bare bones, which is indicative of the art style and setting of the game in general. Mick Gordon showed us in an interview how he broke down sound to their core parts and created songs from that, which explains a lot. nuDoom's OST has nothing which really makes it special because it only exists to set a tone: (intense, calm, intense in hell, calm in hell), which makes it no different from all those generic orchestral cinematic soundtracks you immediately forgot about, except nuDoom only stands out for making noise in a never-done-before way.

I wasn't complaining about the absence of an über-Josh Sawyer approved-balance, all weapons should be sufficiently balanced so you have a reason to use any of them outside for fun, even if one weapon is suitable for nearly every situation. Many times have I gone in a combat encounter thinking to myself 'I'll probably use this weapon', only after it all ends did I realize I forgot to use that weapon because I simply never had to. And then I feel like the weapon arsenal is poorly balanced and bloated.

The end result of nuDoom's design is a boring game with boring' gameplay. You really need to drink some energy drinks before you can actually enjoy it, because the game doesn't really try to wake you. It might not be boring to people who haven't experienced that much carnage, sort of like people who were wowed by the reboot but haven't seen the original. Okay, despite being near-essential for a first-person shooters, a super-mix of level design, balance, art style and sound are not required for a fun or good game (just look at Necrovision or EYE), but nuDoom is at its core another 'mindless' shooter, one where you do not need to think about planning your immediate movements and the game itself takes care of your health for you. Only at the very end did shit start to get interesting when I didn't have to deal with DEAD TIME and enemies spawned in en masse, but then the game ended. The core gameplay loop does not require your full attention and neither does the game anything to shake you up in order to make you pay attention again. Where's the imminent risk of death? Why should I care about self-preservation when every enemy will drop emergency health drops when I'm about to die? What is supposed to change my approach to the situation? Just RIP 'N TEAR, DOOD. If that's your taste, then whatever, just don't go calling it good only because it tickled your fun bone. I had fun with Drakengard, but I don't consider that game anywhere NEAR good.

Notice how your mind just goes kind of blank when playing nuDoom after a while? That's the same feeling many people get when playing Fallout 4. Christ, I just finished Max Payne 3 which was more engaging than nuDoom because of its gameplay, despite all of its fucking cutscenes. Maybe I'm just feeling this way because nuDoom is another reboot of something much better, but at the same time I doubt the fucktards over at id could come up with something decent by themselves if they weren't using Doom as a baseline.

There's nothing wrong per se with having fun with mindless shooters like Painkiller or Call of Duty or Fallout 4, but on an objective level nuDoom is a Frankenstein's monster and by no means should future game developers look at nuDoom on how to do games right. While I'd consider nuDoom better than pillars of mediocrity like Painkiller, Quake 4, and maybe even Hard Reset, it's borderline forgettable, being only noticeable for being released during a period of FPS drought, like Dragon Age: Origins and The Witcher 1 were for cRPGs.

But really, considering nuDoom as your GOTY is more or less a sign of narrow taste and having not really played much games released in this year. How many games have you even played in this list?

I've played two games that released this year, and that was the only game that I was able to get through.
The other I played for about an hour and was furious that I'd even wasted bandwidth to pirate it.

Shit I forgot about Devil Daggers, I can see why a lot of people would not consider it to be the best game this year but looking back on it against the other options I think I'll have to go with that. It certainly without a doubt has the best audio out of anything by a big margin, and on top of that it has simple but very good gameplay with a very high skill cap and some slick visuals. Obviously it doesn't have much in the way of content, but I don't think just having more levels would be of benefit to it. Sometimes it's best to keep it simple and I think this is one of those times.

I still personally prefer the PC port of DD but it's hard to argue that a 5 year old game is the GOTY and even then it has a ton of problems while Devil Daggers doesn't. Also that list seems to be very solid other than the obvious joke one at the top and DaS3 being two tiers lower than it should be.

>Trails of Cuck Steel not at 1/10 tops the only reason it would be that high is if you're a yuricuck, user
>Eyes of Heaven not at least 6/10 WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I PLAY ONLINE WITHOUT AGONIZING LAG, FUCK

I dunno man, I thought Style Savvy was generic shit but a good amount of 3DS players will recommend it on here. I don't know anything about Max but while there's no doubt that it's possible and likely it sucks, it's still possible it's the kind of game you buy as a joke and somehow 100% it.

I missed a few things.
Except it's objectively a terrible game.

Wow that list is terrible.

Fuck off Todd

That is some hipster trash tier list right there, good bait though, I'll save it for later

Did you jump into a missile, user?

No, I'm a Falcomfag
perhaps that's why
we're all shills, but most of us don't actually know it

It is, and that's what (should) make it a guilty pleasure. Just because a game is objectively shit doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, but you certainly are less likely to enjoy it (P.S. I have not played FO4 and do not ever intend to do so). Also, liking a game and thinking a game is good are two different things entirely

thanks for the input so I can improve it in the future

I only got to know about N++ because I played N+ on the DS a long time ago. What's so bad about it?

If you're a Falcomfag you'd see that Coldsteel The Meme Game is objectively inferior to every other game they made. It's only liked because of the lesbian rapist. Fess up.

Also, Eyes of Heaven still has a fair amount of content without online. 6/10 tops is still "wait for a sale" tier, don't misunderstand, but 5/10 is a little too low. If they fixed their fucking netcode I could see it being an 8/10 at LEAST.

This is the exact kind of mindset that gives us shit like Life is Strange.

7/10

What's wrong with any of those?

I was referring to "Max: An Autistic Journey" listed in the 10/10 category right above Devil Daggers

You have to say whether you think the scores for each are too high or low. Out of those I personally think Shadow of the Beast is too high, DaS3 is too low, Witness is too high, and Devil Daggers is just right, if you don't like it you can at least understand why it would be 10/10 to someone else. If this shit was on arcades back in the day it would probably be known as one of the greatest games of all time. I don't even personally like it that much since I don't like replaying games over and over to get high scores, but to someone who does like that I'm sure that they would see almost no flaws with the game (relative to whatever their current standard is for 10/10).

This. It's older than planetside 2.
Dunno who thinks these are a good idea.

Less shit to render on the screen of a crappy console maybe? Or maybe it has something to do with console FOVs generally being very low.

I'm not sure but I can remember it happening in L4D2 compared to L4D1 and 2 was also aimed more at consoles (despite that being fucking silly).

That nigger was right, you know. Freelook fundamentally changed how the original Doom played and is responsible for its current status as a fast-paced shooter. Now I'm not going to claim it isn't playable like that without freelook but back when it first came out most people treated it as a horror game and not a particularly fast one.

Freelook Doom =/= Vanilla Doom, you should compare nuDoom to Doom with mouselook at most as that was what the game was designed around. Even then many early players didn't use mouselook either. Not that I particularly like nuDoom mind.

Witness was a solidly designed puzzle game with some heads-up-the-ass artistic design.

Devil Daggers is an idiotic fps with just one weapon, no level design, just a blank arena that spawns enemies that run at you.
Doesn't matter. The only genuinely worse games on that list are That Dragon, Cancer, No Man's Sky and Revolution 60.

Shadow of the Beast shouldn't be higher than 6/10
Dark Souls 3 is between 7 and 9.
Witness is at least 7.
Devil Daggers is 4 at most.

freelook changed jack shit. doom gameplay operates on 2d plane and there is rarely a situation where you need to pick between shooting an enemy at top or bottom and autoaim compensates for shooting straight while enemies are occupying higher or lower ground

the problem was keyboards and mouse being garbage at the time and it just wasn't possible to go fast like that. early quake tournaments were slow as fuck back then

No Man's Sky

At the time it started to become more popular people also started playing faster and the two were quite clearly linked. What freelook does is not really improve your ability to shoot as much as remove the horror elements of the game because your ability to look around is much improved. No longer will you get a sound cue from a spot just outside of your vision and shit yourself or be ambushed from somewhere you neglected to check thus people started to play it as a faster arcadey type of game not a horror game as intended. This is somewhat ironic because freelook actually slows the game down somewhat if you're an experienced player (at least it does for me).

This was indeed another factor. Hell a fair few people didn't have mice at all.

I've been spending the majority of this year on my backlog, so I don't really know. I had a lot of fun with my first 2 playthroughs of NuDoom. It was aight, though nowhere near arena games of yesteryear. Mankind Divided is also ok I guess. I don't know, I really didn't play many games from this year, none of em look exciting in the slightest.

Get out of Holla Forums, hipster Holla Forumsfag.

Is there something wrong with Time Attack games by default, or what? There's nothing inherently wrong with anything that DD does, and what it does it does damn right. I think you're oversimplifying DD a bit, there's quite some depth to the game in terms of how enemies work together, movement, situational awareness through sound and visuals, and the shooting.
It's pretty much an arcade game by nature: survive for as long as you can, and everything keeps piling up until you eventually break.
Even if it just has one weapon, the game is clearly designed around that. All enemies are varied and solid in terms of role, visuals, and audio. The mechanics are damn solid, and compared to nuDoom this game does arena combat much more right. It's pretty much become the goddamn standard.
Personally I think you are looking at DD from just one perspective, which is that all first-person shooters should be like Quake or anything like that. While it's true that DD could be even cooler with more weapons and an actual singleplayer campaign, you're gonna have a real blast if you're into these kind of games. It's not like you're being robbed with a price of 5 bucks. I admit that DD is not a game for everyone, but most criticism levied at the game is more subjective than anything. I may not like racing games, but I can appreciate the design that went into good racing games.

Devil Daggers is incredibly simple but it has far more depth or skill cap than any other game I've played that came out this year (unless UT4 counts). If you can survive half as long as this guy then you likely have some idea as to how much thought and skill can go into playing this game. And judging games by the standards of others is retarded, you wouldn't judge football for only having one ball and one map because the entire game is built around those two factors. If the amount of weapons and maps determined how good games were, then Burchlands or Nu Male's Sky would be the greatest shooters of all time because of their quintillions of guns/planets.

Also, did you even play the game?

Nudoom should be compared to the best Doom 1/2 could be. The best wad with the best sourceport is the current standard for a Doom game and if a game with as many hours of manpower and money made to be the successor to Doom comes out it should absolutely be better than what 12 dudes in 1993 did + some particularly autistic community members. Obviously numoomdood is far shittier than the best modded Doom has to offer therefore it belongs in the garbage.

I almost count RE7 as my GOTY for 2016 lol

Who is this (WE) you speak off?

and? What value does that statement hold?
Speed has no objective inherent value

I feel like this happens to me everytime a new AAA game is released.it doesn't help that my internet is close to shit.

Plenty of people still play Doom w/o freelook, particularly those old enough to have actually fucking played it when it came out.

You don't get to compare a game with 23 years of modifications to a vanilla sequel that's been out for 4 fucking months. And again it is 100% unnecessary given vanilla Doom's superiority.

You're right that speed doesn't have inherent value, but a game that is faster requires you to make decisions with greater frequency and making decisions is what games are all about.

Yes I do, I am a consumer and I have two choices
1. An old game that has solid gameplay and a ton of user created content that makes that solid gameplay some of the best in vidya, I can get the shareware engine and play all user made content for free without breaking any digital copyright laws.
2. A new game with mediocre gameplay but some shiny gwafix that completely discourages user created content outside of maps and doesn't hold a candle to game 1. Without breaking copyright laws, this game costs me at least $30

It doesn't matter how big the budget was, how many devs worked on it, how many years it was developed for, or how much content was created by the community. The bottom line is that option 1 is the superior product in almost every way, and the fact that much of the reason that it's superior is thanks to age and the community is irrelevant to how objectively good it is.

Also 'arbitrary state' implies there is no justification for choosing it over any other state. The fact it is as the game was on release suffices to make it non-arbitrary. In fact I'll have to ask you what non-arbitrarty state of modified Doom you wish to compare to nuDoom. Is it Doom + 'best' modifications as of the release date of nuDoom or Doom + 'best' modifications right now? If a bunch of user-created content shows up for nuDoom (unlikely but possible) does it count too?

Firstly you are not then comparing Doom and nuDoom, you are comparing Doom's community and over two decades of content to a game that's been out for less than half a year. Surprise surprise the side that's had people working on it since before most of Holla Forums was born wins crushingly. This is not a comment on the relative quality of the games themselves.

Secondly by your logic HL2 should have been compared on/near release to HL1, its expansions and whatever user created goldsrc content you felt like when determining which game is better, clearly bullshit. Skyrim should have been compared to Morrowind or Oblivion and all extra content and so on and so forth. Even if you balance the playing field and compare, say, HL1 and all goldsrc content to HL2 and all source mods you're not really making a statement on the relative quality of the games only a statement on the relative quality of their communities.

When a mod gets goty you know there's something amiss

When this Holla Forums started we were all about freedom, nobody saged anything. It was exactly when redditors invaded that we saw all these faggots redditors calling everyone redditors so that they could blend in more easily. Its the funniest shit seeing these fuckers abusing their downvote crap and thinking we dont notice they are the reddit scrubs.

You fags are all talk, whenever i joined any game Holla Forums was playing, everyone was worse than the casuals that play in pub servers. I bet you will get your ass fucked on this new Quake then immediately come crying that the game is complete garbage just because of the fucking characters, and your casual buddies will all enforce that and all try to supress anyone of talking about it because thats the only way you casual kiddies can feel better after the ass whooping you got. Meanwhile nobody ever talks about any of the fast games being made and the revival of the genre is failing because of casuals like you that just wanna whine and seem like a hardcore gamer when you cearly as fuck isnt.

I got the clear picture now, these weeaboo casuals are making up this whole circus because they know they will be even more ostracized like the casual grinding retards they are if actual hardcore games make a come back.
Wake up Holla Forums, these fags will ruin gaming for you again, rememeber who turned videos games into fucking movies.

Define "vanilla doom," because Keyboard Only can suck cocks. Even a controller is better than that shit.

Or a better example. If I compared Empire Total War and Darthmod to Napoleon Total War as it was on release the former would be the superior game. However comparing both vanilla is a completely different story. If I compare them both now with their relevant mods you'll also get different results. Being open to mods is a point in favour for a game but you don't get to include the mods themselves in a comparison.

Picrelated.

Mouselook only (i.e. horizontal movement done with the mouse) was a thing in vanilla. Freelook (which many confuse with mouselook) is a post-release thing

Yes, the games should be compared at their best because that is the only value they have to me as a consumer. I have no reason to care about any version of the game that is not the best.

(to the second reply)
Yep, and by now it's fair game to compare HL2 at it's best (SMOD + skips for the "not cutscenes") and HL1 at its best. I am not going by which game was made by more competent developers, I am judging nothing but the games themselves.

I don't see how this method is "clearly bullshit" when it addresses the question of "is this game worth my time" a lot better than the alternative. A game that is made by a more competent studio but is worse than years of user created content for another game is not worth your time more than that other game.

Says who? If someone asks "which game should I play" then I'm going to answer with the one that will give them a more fulfilling experience, and if one game with mods is more fulfilling then that's the one I'm going to recommend.

My point is, nuDoom isn't that hard of a game so you don't even need to be aware of your surroundings via sounds.

That's literally the purpose of background music. They don't have to be memorable, it only exists to make the audience memorize the general tone of the game. That's what I mean by soundtrack should be an organic part of the game.

It's entertainment, everything is for fun. It's still better than Jedi Knight 2 and 3 where you literally forget that lightsaber isn't the only weapon you have. Jedi Knight still turned out to be a great series.

I would only care about such things in slower paced games such as STALKER, strategy in fast paced video games are never entertaining for me. When I play nuDoom, I expect nothing but fast paced gunplay. Maybe it is a bit mindless, but I don't expect an intuition of empirical knowledge derived from strategy in this game. Don't get me wrong, I have played all kinds of classic FPS, I've played Doom 1, 2, and 64 to death, but that doesn't mean that I can't acknowledge the existence of other genres of games.

There are medkits in the levels too, and enemies don't drop much health unless you pinata them, but I see your point. I still think that the chainsaw is much more useful in this game than the original doom.

I don't say that the gameplay of nuDoom is "good" by my standard, but it certainly is better than other big budget games released this year. Compared to them, it delivered quite an entertainment for sure.

I've played EDF, DS3, and Dragon's Dogma, but Doom is still a superior experience for me. Best graphics and optimization too. Also Uncharted, Quantum Break, and FarCry 3 cavemen edition, but I don't consider them to be anywhere near GOTY. I rarely play indie games though.

Also user, your chart is extremely inaccurate. I don't believe there's a game released this year that is anywhere above 7/10.

I like Fallout 2 but the music is a chore to listen to individually. The arrangement is a mess, even though it gives the feeling of wilderness and chaos ingame.

The only ambient musicians I can sit down and listen to are Vangelis and Edward Artemyev, and they're borderline jazz.

There's no use of comparing old doom to new doom, both have different gameplay and nuDoom is clearly inferior. I'm just saying that nuDoom is better than other titles released this year, but not OG Doom.

I enjoy and pass on games for their soundtrack alone.
And there is no way, I'm going to enjoy fucking dubstep.
I repeat: Doom 3 is a better Doom than NuDoom.

It's not dubstep, it's industrial in vein of vid related.

It felt like nuDoom in painfully dark lit rooms. There are spawning demons and everything.

It's shit and not music and destroys any game.
The gameplay is entirely different from Doom4.
The lighting of Doom3 (2004) is gorgeous on a proper monitor.
The addon Resurrect of Evil improves on the base game making it damn good.

Yes, it's nothing but background noise to support the atmosphere, and that's why it's good. I've had an argument about this way above.

When you scavenge for items and seek your way out. But when the demons spawn, it reminds me of nudoom.

And? It's still very dark unlike Doom.

Were we talking about quality or resemblance to Doom?

I'm aware. I was comparing Max: An Autistic Journey to Style Savvy. The question is, is it a good comparison or am I wrong?

You're already a Bethesdrone, it's like a chestburster from Alien.

user, I can tell you two things. I can tell you that you're an insecure wreck that should get help, or I can tell you that people are here to listen if you fess up to your crimes of being an emotional cunt. They're both lies, so I can't choose.

If you're somehow against nuDoom, then please fucking stop being on our side.

I mean, you lose either way because of your emotional investment, but jesus christ.

What? Your projections dont even make sense kid, come up with some better bullshit

see

You need to get your ears checked, Nine Inch Nails not only has melodies but it mixes up the electronic noises similar to nuDoom with other instruments and some thrown in voicework. nuDoom is just garbage Dubstep that is made to sound industrial.

NIN made a standalone music that is played when the credit rolls in. NuDoom's just a background score.

Besides the guitar, there are drums, bass, and a bunch of synths in nuDoom.

Dubstep is entirely electronic samples, nuDoom's not. Dubstep is also less abrasive.

I hope this Dark Age of Vidya ends soon.

While that is true to some extent, asking the player to pay attention does a lot to invest the player more into the game, which generally leaves players with a more positive impression of the game as it requires their full attention.

Can you name me a good unmemorable soundtrack then? Good soundtracks are naturally memorable, otherwise you have a soundtrack which 'does its job', but could be better. Thief's soundtrack is mostly ambience, but I bet everyone remembers the Horn of Quintus. Even soundtracks which are meant to stay in the background can be distinct in quality, and I don't particularly consider nuDoom's OST to be a good background score or something good on its own.

You do receive the lightsaber later on in the campaigns after doing some fair bit of shooting (and quite frankly everyone simply wanted to be a lightsaber-wielding Jedi as the game titles implied), as the developers did intend you to just become the Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast once you got your hands on it

When I'm talking about 'mindless' games I'm talking about how much games demand of you. nuDoom is a game where you move in any general direction, shoot weapons at demons, and switch weapons when necessary. Unlike nuDoom, the original has you consider enemy priority, planning movement across various new terrains while taking in account enemy placements and projectiles, and crowd control, amongst other things. On the opposite side of the mindless spectrum do not lie solely slower-paced games, but high-speed high-reaction games like Quake, Street Fighter, and so on. There's nothing wrong with mindless games as long as they're engaging to some extent, but I can't really call nuDoom engaging. It's better than Painkiller where the gameplay is so bloody repetitive and you repeatedly use the same tactics over and over, but only because it uses a warped version of the Doom enemy cast in babby's first custom Unreal Tournament maps.

That's why you need to play more games. Just because nuDoom is the best the AAA industry shat out this year doesn't mean you should deprive yourself of what indie games have to offer when you look hard enough
I think Dishonored 2 might be the best AAA game of this year, only because I think Dishonored 1 was alright and it's rather unlikely for Arkane to make something worse now that they have a solid foundation to work from

Who cares? its degenerate hipster trash either way and the artist pretty much outed himself out to be a talentless hack in part 2 of the shitty documentary about the game's music.

Are you retarded?

Have you considered suicide?

Hardly. For 10/10 it must be something incredibly good with a lot of extras. It simply is not.

lmao no
it's 2015

Arcade games can never be 10/10?

no one's gonna take you seriously nerd

So is there anything actually wrong with nuDoom in the same sense Fallout 4 was a horrible piece of shit and No Mans Lie was a bomb? Or is it just a bunch of retards being contrarian?

Because I looked at some gameplay and shit and it actually looks really fucking good. I want to pirate "legally purchase" it but its 60 fucking GBs so I'm not even sure its worth the torrent

see

How much any of that will impact your Fun is anyone's best guess, but you can at least know what to expect

It's a shit shooter that uses a title of a known classic as the only thing it has going for it.

Black Desert Online

I've stopped playing that since Legion came out though. Now I've been playing Legion every day and haven't even done my first World Quest yet.

It's average at most, gameplay footage makes it appear to be better then it is but once the novelty of the whole thing wore off I found it really boring and I wasn't willing to play the whole way through on the dubious promise that it gets better after the halfway point. I think the glory kills are flow breaking shit but some others don't really care, The upgrades on the other hand are a different issue since it's existence is generally pointless and just exists to pad the game out and nobody like two or three guys like the music.

The Demo is only 8 GB if you want to try that out though.

* and nobody except like two or three guys like the music.

I'm one of the 2-3 guys mentioned here , don't even bother with the game just download the soundtrack if your taste is as shit as mine.

After the 60Gb download I played it for an hour and got bored so I uninstalled to play wads and UT4 instead.

I even kinda liked heavily modded Goyout 4 but nudoom really has no redeeming qualities outside of the music, but obviously that part is incredibly divisive anyways.

Part of me wishes I was joking.

I couldn't even finish the second level, because my entertainment was reaching negative levels.

You had never played Castlevania?

lol

Are you mentality retarded?
Of course you are.

Sometimes attention can be gotten without making the player face a sequence of complexity. Aesthetics and empiricism are two different things, and their power to attract attention is dictated by the player's sensibility. A person with an artistic sensibility would find a well made walking simulator beautiful, while those who prefer the empiricism of knowledge and competition would find it barren.

Vid related.

But the actually great guns like the exploding shotgun, sniper rifle, and "some kind of plasma machine gun" came out late in game after you've got your hands on the saber.

As I have explained above, some people don't care about being engaged in a hard competition. Entertainment doesn't only come from competition. People have different engagement trigger.

I have played enough games in my life.

You're not being elaborate enough.

An engrossing atmosphere, art style, story or soundtrack can indeed do a lot to immerse a player, except the words 'engrossing atmosphere, art style, story and/or soundtrack' do not belong in the same sentence with 'nuDoom'.

That much is obvious when looking at the current state of the videogame industry. However, nuDoom was marketed as a 'hardcore fast shooter' whose only marketing points were its supposedly hardcore and twitch-based gameplay, because everything else about the game is average or just plain forgettable. Wolfenstein: TNO had the cool alternative history aspect with amazing art direction and soundtrack (Mick Gordon did both the soundtrack for TNO and nuDoom, though I bet the better songs in the TNO OST were by Fredrik Thordendal if the difference in style is any indication). All the non-gameplay stuff tends to drag down the gameplay in nuDoom, actually.

So if I were to play a game like nuDoom on the Ultra-Violence difficulty which proudly presents itself as being a hardcore challenge for hardcore gamers, I expect a run for my money, not a process which reduces my brain activity to Bethesdrone levels. This may appeal to newfags and people who just want bragging rights, but there's nothing here in particular which should satisfy casuals, slower-paced players, or Polygon. Yeah, there are easy modes, but so does nearly every action game nowadays, and I wouldn't know what nuDoom has to offer on EASY MODO when you're not using all the mechanics in the game to the fullest extent, compared to Platinum games on babby difficulty which are there so casual gamers won't cry about the game being too hard, or Uncharted's cinematic experiences.

You may be right about games in general, but the focus of nuDoom clearly lies in its intended high skill ceiling and BRUTALness. I don't play Street Fighter for the deep character stories either.

Hey now, some casual bitch that cant hit headhsots on this SLOW game cant be talking back to me. Thats not how it works hoe

I've had tons of fun with Dark Souls 3. It certainly feels like the improvement that DaS2 wanted to be, and I also really like the feel of the combat style being something of a mix between DaS1 and bloodborn. There are some problems, of course, like the game heavily relying on ambushes nearly everywhere instead of clever enemy placement and how breaking your guard with a kick is all that takes to get a riposte, but then again, the balance in combat for the souls series hasn't been excellent. Overall I find it very enjoyable.

Even then, I'm torn between DaS3 and Brigador for a "best game I've played this year". Brigador has a very simple-yet-kinda complex combat system, tons of vehicles, tons of weapons, and I'm a huge sucker for mechs anyways. It's not precisely a very long game, you can unlock almost everything very quickly, but its bursts of intensity certainly entertain me.

Those are just my opinions though, pls no bully.

I just recently dug up my old PSP-1000 and decided to load some emulators to play on the train into uni.
It was my first time playing castlevania 1.

I do find the atmosphere engrossing. There's this charm in nuDoom of everything being too loud and too dirty. You might say that games like dark souls and dante's inferno offer the same atmosphere, but not for me. It's somehow more charming than those games. Maybe it's due to the half assed noisy provocative score, maybe it's due to the good graphics, or fast pacing, or an organic combination of them. All I know is the game has a aesthetic that beats other hellish video games, and that's all about it.

It's true that Doom has more twitch based gameplay than most modern SP shooters. Who cares about marketing anyway, I judge based on my own perception.

Platinum games look gay.

It does look and sound brutal, and decently interactive rather than cinematic, that's all that I expect and it delivers.

I finished Undertale today, it was the newest game i had played since MGSV, mostly because i stopped caring about new releases or spending money on newer hardware when i can enjoy everything i already got. It's ok, i like the music and some of the characters but the sprites and backgrounds are kinda bad.