Which do you think is the better party-based, first-person RPG series, Wizardy or Might and Magic?

Which do you think is the better party-based, first-person RPG series, Wizardy or Might and Magic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0odZo_whs_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

More importantly, which of each series is best
doesn't one of them let you turn into a liche?

I think that was Might and Magic VI or VII.

7 & 8 irc

Wizardry of course.

overall, Might & Magic
overworld exploration + dungeon crawling > dungeon crawling

best M&M is 4+5
best Wizardry is Gold, the remake of Crusader of the Dark Savant

Might and Magic is overrated.

Yeah. Back in the day it was considered mostly to be shit tier.

(checked)
Noice

Wizardry by far

I liked the dungeon-crawling focus of Wizardry better, but it all comes down to whether you like the way M&M or Wizardry does things better.

Wizardry had more interesting lore with non-standard races.

As for the gameplay, I know only Wizardry 7 and 8, and M&M 4,5,6,7. Wizardry games had more replay value for me.

wizardry, more exactly: wizardry 8, it was the pinnacle of party-based rpgs. I don't know of any other game that let you customize your party to that extent

Never played Wizardry because reasons. Did I miss out?

What was considered top tier? Wizardry and Ultima?

Not again. I thought Holla Forums was fixed.

Do you like games with highly customizable characters and lots of dungeon crawling? If so then yes.

Sage for doublepost.

Wizardry because Might and Magic changes with every other installment.
Party management in M&M is very minimal and most of the time you will end up with jack of all trades parties.
The only thing it has over Wizardry is the overworld and the non linear nature of it. Beyond that Wizardry is mechanically superior.

Wizardry and Ultima are largely different games with Ultima being more story focused with extremely shallow character building and party mechanics.
In Ultima you can import your characters from the first Ultima games to later ones to raise all your stats to maximum at level 1. This is how little they gave a shit about the RPG mechanics.

i'm not exaggerating when I say that I think wizardry 8 is the best party-focused RPG ever made. it's just about perfect

I never liked the genre tbh. Elder Scrolls series (at least before Skyrim) saved the whole first person RPG genre, thank God for Todd.

You mean killed.

BTW, the reason why I don't like party based RPG is it's too cumbersome to manage more than 1 playable characters. There would be the MVP and the canon fodder in the team, and I don't like that. It's just not efficient to play a party based RPG using my play style.

In what way? Morrowind and Daggerfall, although the games might be a kind of flawed, are a great foundation of an RPG game. There's a perfect combination of real time strategy, character progression, exploration, and immersion, all done in a completely open ended way. It's an amazing design philosophy that every RPG game should follow.

git gud.

It sounds like you just suck at building parties.

It's still possible to make an overpowered build in Oblivion. Skyrim is when everything gets boring.

I wanna git fun not git gut.

At least I don't suck at parties unlike you.

Wizardry for gameplay mechanics.
M&Ms for silly ADVENTURES

You need to kys kys kys

Wizardry 8 was the Swansong of the party based RPG games. Mandate of heaven had more freedom which is always good but Wizardry had better combat and game mechanics.

Are the wizardry games that aren't 8 worth playing?

Big spoiler. Both M&M 6 and Wizardry 8 can be beaten solo for M&M6 you are actually better off focusing on one character.

Dated and hard if you do the trilogy you need to roll for decent stats at the start of the game (could take a long time) then you import after beating 6 to 7 and 8. When you get to 8 you get some nice toys to bring with you and your party gets some extra stats and a different intro story.

Yes, tho it depends how much of how dated older titles are you can stomach.

I can deal with pretty dated titles. What usually stops me with these games is the fact that I can be a bit lazy about learning how to play them, and even when I learn how my autism might kick in forcing me to restart the game 20 times before I'm satisfied with my party.

Oh, you will restart for sure.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to this or not. Do you at least have any tips so that I can start off on the right foot?

you couldn't even transfer until the 5th game, it made you level 5 if you were 8 in 4 and gave you 25 points in a stat out of 30 if you had maxed it in 4

as for not giving a shit, they clearly wanted to reward you for playing their games

Etrian Odyssey,
How can you enjoy a game like that without lolis?

Its an old game
Google will have many sites with power gaming tips

Weebs tried to copy Ultimas and Wizardries and failed miserably, so no.

You can transfer your saves from U4 to U5 and then to U6.
You actually do get maximum stats in U6 but it does not matter at all as the combat is the least important part of the game which is why the series does not give a shit about party and character mechanics.
The only ultima game where character builds matter somewhat are the Underworld ones but even then there is no such thing as exclusive specialization like Dark Messiah or Deus Ex.

All of them are worth playing, some less than others.
Just play the SNES versions of 1, 2 and 3. Ultimate Archives version of 4 or the PS1 version if you know japanese. 5,6 and 7 are better on PC/DOS and 8 was released only for PC.

4 is more of a puzzle game than RPG but its still a bullshit dungeon crawler at its core.

that would be might & magic 7 and 8

what? 6 is hard as it is and you suggest its easier to just focus on one character? that doesnt make sence to me…

also ive never played any Wizardy games. How do i get in?

Fuck off forever

The one which lets you be a flying lich with a lazer gun.

Get a mapping tool and start with 5 or the SNES remakes of 1,2 and 3.

that would be Might & Magic 6 and 7

i made a webm for you
sorry about the quality but these old games are really hard to record

Then fuck of to a party and stop cluttering the thread.

japs ruin everything

That's an odd way of saying vastly improves.

If you want a fight I'll be happy to oblige.

Wizardry 8, OP.

bump

That doesn't even look like real jap artwork. It looks like someone on Deviantart trying to imitate anime.

Na, they know how to give it a kickass soundtrack.

youtu.be/0odZo_whs_4

Looks better than generic anime sameface.

any tips on where to start with ultima?
it looks like the space travel/future-y aspects got completely removed after 2. Are there any similar or modern rpgs that mix time travel,space and fantasy with the same gameplay?

by that you mean they ruined how terrible it was thus improving it

Looks like we have the winner right here.