Are mecha games dead?

Are mecha games dead?
Does even Japan care about robots anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

a.cuntflaps.me/gtevrl.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/djzafr.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/siocmf.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/mfzgpj.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/hqnjg.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/deftto.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/qfccdc.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/sppllg.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/gbgvuc.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/pdvwvj.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/mqwszv.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/dohqms.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/syjcnp.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/nmbyam.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/kquldg.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/snvof.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/tmoelx.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/qztdqh.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/lxaja.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/jizbx.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/rilvjs.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/japic.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/dmiked.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/yvfxq.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/buxhmr.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/tkarda.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/duxfqa.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/knpxtp.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/mhovaw.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/rpavvf.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/hxqwgq.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/npziye.ogg
msol.goone.tw/?show=1
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29452278
yukirinmk2.hatenablog.com/
twitter.com/yukirinmk2/status/777787241020010497
twitter.com/yukirinmk2/status/777809437973110784
gloverzz.net/2013/01/ultimate-knight-windom-xp.html
gundam.wikia.com/wiki/ZM-S08G_Zolo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Good ones are that's for sure. Anew armored core is coming out, but I doubt it will be good

Best arena fighting game is Gundam VS so no. They just announced a new game. Down side is bamco will jew you to death.

EA is marketing heavily to them. See Titanfall during Sega's TGS stream. Other than that, there is a new Gundam in the works as well as a new Armored Core.

From Soft confirmed their next game is another Armored Core.

Oh, they do. They just don't care about dirty gaijin who sully their hard work with filthy localization, so no mecha games for you.

Kind of hoping it's not dead, it's probably the one thing VR would be good for.

No, they just don't come to West.

yes

MegaMek is still alive and doing fine afaik.

Holy shit you're fucking deluded.
There's not a single japanese company that gives a SHIT about western localizations.
In fact 9 times out of 10 they order the games to be localized and SJWed themselves so they can appeal to baka piggu gaijins better.
You really think they give a goddamn fuck about their games being "localized badly" in the west?
Holy shit the balls on you and the absolute self centered head straight up your ass attitude, i'd fucking slap the shit outta you for being so stupid and arrogant.

One of Japan's biggest arcade games is a mecha game, Border Break. There's also that ridiculous Gundam pod arcade game. They still make Mecha games, just fewer of them are coming to consoles or to the west.

What about Project Nimbus

Is Border Break still alive and well? I saw footage of the game and though it looked ridiculously fun, but wasn't that back in 2010 or some shit?

This tbh
For most Japanese devs, the Western market is an afterthought. If they release worldwide, they'll hand it over to a publisher, who at some point has conducted research regarding target group size optimisation, and thus in turn will hand it over to a localisation company with the orders to appeal to as many people as the base material will allow.
It's plainly a business decision, which may or may not hit the spot. However, the integrity of the original work is largely irrelevant, and the original developer hardly has anything to do with the finished product. Exceptions confirm the rule.

You mean 'mech'?

ching chongs are making one that looks decent

and there's the guy working on notchromehounds

That looks like actual fun.

not mecha

there's some game on steam that is/was in EA that looked cool as fuck. too bad it's probably terrible because it's EA.

That looks sick. Keeping an eye on it.

Autism is strong with this one.

You have to go back.

there's a very clear stylistic difference between mechs and mechas

This looks very neat. Will keep in mind.
Also about your second game, do you mean MAV?
I wasn't a fan of it but the build I played was like two years old, I've heard it's greatly improved since.

Project Nimbus?

That's the one

To?

holy shit, it's like Ace Combat but Mecha. I never knew I wanted that until now.

O'fuck

On one hand KS worries me greatly but on the other they already have gameplay of it and apparently people can play it in Tokyo Game Show right now so it might be good.
Apparently they also have it on steam greenlight.

My friend messaged me from his vacation in Japan yesterday, he was at an arcade and there were a bunch of Border Break cabinets with huge waiting lines for every single one. Anecdotal evidence, but it seems to point to BB still being pretty big.

You're joking, but that's what the devs themselves insisted

Not bad from what they have so far but it seems to be mostly "Press lock-on button, shoot thing until it dies" which will get repetitive real quick

Can't blame em.

There is also another one with a playable demo using the Unreal 4 Engine called Dual Shock which is a turned based tactics game similar to the old Front Mission series. Both these games are made by different Thai devs funny enough, Thai respect the robot it seems.

I though tthat as well but it is not, it is surprisingly difficult and you need to be on the ball.

It pretty much pays homage to Armored Core and Ace Combat. Hell it feels like they merged For Answer and Ace Combat 5 together. The soundtrack is pretty nice. Here's some audio I managed to extract from the games files since no OST yet

a.cuntflaps.me/gtevrl.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/djzafr.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/siocmf.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/mfzgpj.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/hqnjg.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/deftto.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/qfccdc.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/sppllg.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/gbgvuc.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/pdvwvj.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/mqwszv.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/dohqms.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/syjcnp.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/nmbyam.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/kquldg.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/snvof.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/tmoelx.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/qztdqh.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/lxaja.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/jizbx.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/rilvjs.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/japic.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/dmiked.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/yvfxq.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/buxhmr.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/tkarda.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/duxfqa.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/knpxtp.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/mhovaw.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/rpavvf.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/hxqwgq.ogg
a.cuntflaps.me/npziye.ogg

This looks fucking great!

but is it alive or a dead project at work forever?

They are very slow at updates, so I don't know if it has died yet.

They just added a new mission a week back. It's Unreal 3 not Unity, I don't know if that says it all?

Ah, fuck, completely missed that. My bad.

Titanfall might make you happy for a bit.

Looks like a giant unoptimized pile of shit.

You cant guess?

Friendly reminder that you will never be able to emulate Phantom Crash

I just hope it will have full campaign/story mode, instead of being purely versus multiplayer game.

MAV, chromehounds remake, is fun.

"mecha" is jpn for anything mechanical, including cars and toasters.

I really want to go have fun with Titanfall 2. but it's Origin. and I hate EA.

Shit like this reminds me I need an xbox

Looks to me like the devs saw the SRW attack animations and decided they should be playable.

There's that PSVR game coming out soon.
Also AC6.

Titanfall is fun for a bit. It's just that the 'bit' in question is only 20-30 minutes.

Theres a lot of shit i wish where added to the game. Its alright, lots of shitty stuff and felt to short for a multiplayer game.

I agree with you, having buildings being able to be destroyed by titans would have been great.

I admit, gunplay when your the pilot is shit, feels weightless. But calling in your titan, crushing people under kneath you as it was called down. Feels good. They made you feel heavier and made every shot feeel good.

Its not a game where you could play for a shit loud of time, but its fun if you want to play as a titan for a little bit.

This looks heavily influenced by games like Metal Warriors and Assault Suits Valken, which is great, but it'd be kinda nice if it had a little more of the grit and grounded game mechanics

I mean I realize it's not fair to judge it based on some tech demo, but I worry that (like a lot of indie games) it's going to get the core mechanics (n the sense of having a PLAYABLE game) down but then run out of steam when it comes to good level design, balance, and so on.

Which is perfectly understandable, even NES games were made by teams of 30+ people, but it's definitely part of what keeps these kinds of games from taking off

I don't think Japs say mecha. At the very least, it's not the preferred term.

That's exactly what they say. Mecha as a phrase is entirely Japanese, since it's one of those loanwords they abbreviated. It's like convini, which is slang for convenience stores.

Japmechs a shit anyhow.
I prefer my walkers.

They pioneered the walkers too, y'know. Although you do have a point, since the market is over-saturated with fucking Gundams and notGundams.

Fair enough, I guess. Still, I much prefer my proper vehicle looking blokes, than the weird gook armed guys.

WTF is that in the image supposed to be. It looks horrible

This also looks like garbage. Fugly flying mechs. The gameplay also looks like shit.

He says while posting a mech design from Crusher Joe.
Hint, all of the good mech designs from battletech were licensed out from japanese properties.

This game was alright.

If you want to think that, I'll disagree but I can't stop you from being retarded.
I just love laughing at a good bit of irony.

HAWKEN is still alive :^)

To be fair, a good chunk of the lot is shit arm rubbish anyway.
I just like the locust mechs.
They're qute

looks like bunch of scrap put together without reason on hilariously thin legs that don't even pretend to lift its weight

(ALL POSTS END IN SIX)
Are you that same guy who wants to marry a chickenwalker?

HAWKEN may be alive, but then so are people with Down Syndrome.

Walkers are okay. Human shaped are okay. Spider Mechs are also fine. I alternate my preference from time to time but they're all cool in their ways.

Yes, yes I am.

The era of japan making mechs is long gone. They haven't had anything but shitty Gundam superrobots for decades.
The US took the best of what japan could make, and made it better.

My only complaint is that western stuff tends not to like the lightmech much, sadly.
Nothing wrong with a heavy slugger. Just that there's nothing quite like sprinting behind enemy lines, popping up from a hill, unloading into their back, and disappearing before they've a chance to react.

You mean fast and agile or just plain small? BT has both, even if the mechwarrior games haven't covered it.

Fast and agile. Though, small is good.
I know mechwarrior's got it, at least here and there. The MechWarrior Online lot, for instance, has plenty. Problem is, they're all rather shit compared to heavy mechs in most any circumstance, thanks to the maps being rather small and otherwise very tight.
There's only one map that I've seen where the locust preforms well. On that map, I managed to tie up the entire enemy team on the other side of the map, all on my own. Sadly, my team was shit, and somehow lost to three mechs on the other side. But, still, crazy fun.

we need a game based on pikmin sized mechs/robots.
it makes makes "huge" boss mechs more plausible too, imagine a dragonfly-sized flying mech fighting an elephant-sized mobile fortress

Ah, I see the problem.

How would you balance that though?

It's shit, but there's not much else what scratches that itch.

Why are mechs human shaped? It seems so inefficient. Arms are shit tier.

That mobile fortress would be an AI only boss, obviously.

Dude what
Without robot arms the entire fucking world would fall apart

Legs can be very useful. Arms are ugly and horribly ineffective. It'd be better to just have four-legged artillery mechs. It would be very expensive to send finely made mechs into the front-line.

Now, obviously arms are useful for us humans, since that lets us manipulate things. But a warfighting vehicle doesn't need that. A warfighting vehicle needs only guns for which to destroy the enemy with.

It'd be best to just have nuke carrying bomber craft wiping the planet clean of anything that bothers you, and settling into comfy cold war or mutual annihilation, but that'd likely be a short story. If you want realism, you don't actually want mecha at all.

That would also be a very expensive thing to do. You'd lose all your money.

Except that sometimes you don't want the place you want to take to turn into a nuclear hellhole, you queer ass faggot.

But if it doesn't have arms, how are mechs meant to give out spankings?

They're still there, they just aren't as popular right now.

Because mechs only exist in the first place out of being cool. There are very few instances where having legs would give benefits that outweigh the negatives, and most of those involve the mech being much smaller than they're usually made.

Wheels are ineffective for anything other than relatively smooth terrain.

Well, if it's agile enough, it can use its feet.

That's why we have treads. We also have helicopters for when even treads will fail.

Depends on the cost of that sort of weapon in the setting. If you can build even a handful of giant robots you can drown a planet in death with explosives.

Exactly the point of it most likely shutting down conflict almost entirely. Hence why I posted the Prowler, they had to make a treaty to stop using the things in FSS because they were wiping planets clean with them. And instead, they turned to insanely ornate and ritualized giant robots, amusingly giving them a better reason to use them than most other settings ever could.

That have hands. Because if you actually have giant robots, you already shouldn't give a fuck.

vigorous sexual kicking

Helicopters aren't fuel efficient. You can't stick them on a mountain for weeks on end and expect them to be combat-capable at any moment during.
Meanwhile, treaded tank can't even get up there to begin with,.

Arms are gay, though.

That's assuming that the only part of warfighting is killing enemies on the front lines
Enemies that don't have any cover and don't shoot back

And oh great, you have poorly articulated chicken legs, now you can get RPG'd to death while slowly moving and probably falling on your ass across uneven terrain too

This is why you either bombard it from the sky or from afar.

Muh speed motherfucker.
Ideally, you wouldn't use a mech in any situation where an RPG would be a major threat. That is to say, they wouldn't be running through urban environments, or otherwise in an area with zero mobility.

Regardless, though, I fail to see how arms would help with any of these issues.

How do you even live with the shame?

Ideally, you wouldn't use a mecha at all, unless you just thought they looked cool. Or sexy.

lol okay faggot

Unless you needed to field a heavy vehicle in a terrain what wouldn't support tanks or other wheeled vehicles, you faggot.

Besides, you can have them mounted on a slight movable point. It'd have the same movement as a hand, perhaps at most lacking an opposite side movement.
I fail to see how this is a bad thing, when we're talking vehicles.
But, then, I also fail to see how any of this has to do with the shit you were pulling from your rectum earlier. So my guess is, you are some barely-literate 3rd grader.

Couldn't it just tilt itself?

Which would be even worse for a giant machine with legs. If it's so bad you can't even use treads, you aren't hiking there with metal feet. At least an apc can't trip onto it's face.

They haven't got shit outside of looks, so you might as well go crazy.

really nigga

That's why bipedal tanks are shit. A tank would be much more inexpensive and just as effective considering a bipedal tank wouldn't be very good on rough terrain, unless it had arms. Which are shit.

Yeah, but that messes with your balance. It'd be easier for the weapon systems to be placed on sockets to the left and right side of the mech, you ask me.
Now, if you had a heavy cannon what was too big to be mounted in one of those types of deals, by all means, use the mech itself. But that's a big gun, where the balance is already a major concern just from recoil. You'd've likely built a proper stand for the guy to bear it.

What

If you've got the tech for bipedal mechs in humanoid form to be practical, you've got the balance systems to handle a little rough terrain. You'd already need that to use the shit human design, after all.
Besides, tripping onto its face isn't the same as getting stuck in the mud with no way to move, or worse, being unable to get there at all.

How the hell are you going to get cover the size of a three story house in the middle of the battlefield, you dickmunching krautwhore

If you cared so much about it not being hit you shouldn't be sending it to the front lines.

Most mechs are 1 or 2 stories tall. There are many situations where a mech can find cover, for example a series of gorges or rough mountainous/rocky terrain, large forest, or a city and even inside buildings/factories/military bases.

What makes you think a battlefield can't take place inside a town or city?

It's [current year], user, where the fuck do you think battlefields are

If it doesn't have arms, then that's the only place a "warfighting vehicle" belongs

Mechs would utterly destroy a city. Why not just bomb it out of existence?

If you're aiming around something in a giant fucking robot, whatever your cover is isn't going to meaningfully impede the incoming artillery that you're trying to protect your armored ass from.

Here's the thing. If a single leg is taken out, the entire mech falls over and becomes useless. Even if a tank gets its treads knocked out, it can still operate as a turret. That means that legs needs to be quite armored, which makes them heavy, which means they need to be able to lift quite a bit of weight, which increases their cost. Robotic legs would already be incredibly expensive, as they are. Legs also need to be able to keep the mech balanced, while firing, which isn't easy or cheap to design and program a machine to do. Legs are a lot less efficient for movement that wheels or treads, which means they won't be nearly as fast as wheels or treads for armor with similar weight. Legs are also almost guaranteed to heighten the profile of the vehicle compared to wheels or treads, which makes cover less effective. Mechs would also need to be designed to be relatively simple to pilot, or the costs of training a pilot would be very high.

So, legs are incredibly expensive, have at least one huge weakness as well as a lot of small ones, and the only advantage they give is that armor can move across a small amount of combat terrain that cheaper, more efficient forms of locomotion can't.

You're also underestimating just how effective treads are at going placed. Unless it's sheer change in elevation by around six feet, if not more, or an incredibly steep incline (which a mech would also have trouble getting up or down), nothing much is going to stop a tank.

All in all, the money used to produce a mech would nearly always be better used producing several tanks or even just equipment for infantry.

Depends on the mech. Regardless, no, not everywhere is a mountainous zone full of chasms, pits, and divits. Maybe go outside for once in your life, you dipshit.
Because if it is in a town or a city, see the complaint earlier about RPGs out the wazoo
Guess what? Infantry is a lot smaller than tanks. They can hide in the building and just dump AT rockets on your stupid ass.
Frankly, no heavy vehicle should be in an urban area. Most of them don't have the field of fire to deal with attacks, just out of size of the weapons they've got, let alone the issues you raise of angle, traverse speed, and position. Admittedly, this is partly solved by your arm lot, but even then you are fighting against your rifle with the tight quarters. Look at modern rifles for soldiers, these days. They've got far more space than you will in that giant mech going through Hijab's alley, and they still need to find solutions to shorten their weapon length so as to be maneuverable.

I expect them to take place in the areas most all armored combat takes place in. Not the city.

A mech is not quite a scalpel (depending on the armaments it has), but more like a steak knife to the bomb's hacksaw

A few feet of concrete between you and a an explosion could be the difference between having a system taken out and being rendered inoperable, or just having a bit of smoke
And then of course there's boolets

Why not drop a colony on it?

You have triggered a fetish I never knew I had user.

Why not just make space marines?

If you've got the tech for self balancing upright walkers, you get better tanks. This is a classic issue, anything a mech gets to make it better, you can use elements on something that lies flat to the ground with a lower profile. Hell, putting arm-like limbs on a tank is probably more realistic than putting legs on them. Give them the capability to actually move stuff or unstick themselves, sorta like a guy with no legs on a skateboard.

I'm disgusted that I can't find many pictures of this conceptual reverse mecha. Apart from the rather silly looking and disproportionate but adorable hildolfr.

Or, they need to be fast, or capable of firing from a distance where incoming fire shouldn't be a concern.

Other issues are fair, though, I'll give you that. Costs, especially. Though, if we've got the tech for the stuff, I imagine the cost'd improve. Albiet, with the old stuff still being cheaper. Sort of like using a prop plane instead of a jet.
Still, you overestimate the capability of treaded vehicles. There's a hell of a lot of terrain they can't get through at all, leaving off how much shit they get stuck in.

That's actually a pretty cool idea.

This is a pretty good idea. Give it the ability to, basically, latch on a steep surface. You could go up just about any angle, and pretty much pick yourself up whenever stuck in mud or the like.
It would look ugly as sin, though.

I think it'll have it's own charm.

This entire argument is stupid in the first place because guess what real life mechs have(and don't have)

existence?

Nigga where have you been

Okay.

I don't think any bombing campaign has ever successfully destroyed %100 of a city. Same with artillery.

Depends on the artillery shell and the cover type. If you were taking cover behind very large build it very well might.

I never said it was. I said those places exist. Don't get so mad.

I also want to point out that a lot of mechs in media tend to carry military grade shields at some point. Oh, and a hill can provide cover for a mech if it lies down.

Assuming infantry-sized weapons are effective at all.

Mechs that are 1 to 3 stories tall tend to have a lot better armour than tanks do. Tanks are usually treated like paper-thin garbage next to mecha.

Also you seem to be precluding the idea of mechs advancing with infantry support.

Not even ones that are immunity to infantry anti-armour?

Punches need to field of fire.

Most mechs are stronger than building's are tough. Buildings can be quite fragile when up against mechs.

Also I want to point out that, at least from what I can remember, most places with skyscrapers around tend to have 4 lane traffic. Even for a large mech that can still give them more room than an infantry in an apartment corridor.

Why the hell wouldn't they be? They're effective today agains the best armor we've got. Is that going to somehow change?
So mechs get bullshit plot armor, because for some reason infantry weapons didn't improve with the armor like they always do, basically.
That's the tactics for tanks. Mechs are basically more mobile tanks.
what
Guess what, faggot.
Armor may be tough, but everything else you need, all the electronic sensors, the weapon systems, barrels, antenna, scopes and cameras, given that we're talking armed robots here recievers and feed systems, and so on.
Oh, and not to mention, a building's heavy as fuck. It might not break through your mech, it's possible it won't just bend your shit, but it can still pin it. You aren't going to be able to just swing your fist straight through a building most the time. Not unless it's some cheap ass subdivision wood housing projects, anyway.

Google New York streets, sometime, you faggot. And that's assuming they're as well planned as New York is. Some places don't even get that much.

Arms on these are a little short to be much help getting you unstuck, I think.

Legs aren't going to be going very fast across the rough terrain they'd be actually useful on, and needing the fire from such a distance greatly reduced how worthwhile having a mech would be in the first place.

Jets are just greatly improved prop planes, from a combat standpoint. They don't introduce any great weaknesses, and are plainly superior in any situation a prop plane would be in. Mechs are sorely disadvantaged on any terrain that armor we already have can get across, and it's not going to be much more effective than a traditional tank, otherwise. Like said, any tech that would make mechs more viable would make the tank design more viable, as well, especially if it's related to costs. If you can field even five tanks versus one mech, that's five different mobile gun emplacements that can fire from five different places at once and separately move around the battlefield, versus a single gun emplacement.

So how's Assault Suit Leynos? The remake looks very neat but I'm afraid it doesn't really put it on the level of Cybernator/Valken.

What are you even arguing for? This entire conversation is about how practical mechs are in a real life situation, not in video game or anime future worlds. You're arguing as if all the tropes that usually apply to mechs in fiction are somehow going to apply in the real world.

Mech armour is considerably thicker compare to other armoured threats that infantry encounter. Tanks are move likely to be the anti-mech unit.

How is it plot armour to expect something several times stronger and larger than a tank to have thicker armour than it? Mechs are big and would attract a lot of fire, so they'd need armour large enough to bear that burden. No way would it be considered plot armour.

So? Why can't they have infantry or tank support?

If there's infantry in the buildings, punch through the window/walls. Building's ain't shit.

…and? What about that stuff you also need? I think you forgot the second half of that sentence.

No, but then punches have unlimited ammo. Besides, you don't need to completely level it, just shove your fist through the wall into the floor the infantry is on.

Most building's aren't more than a foot of concrete, and I've got to think that a 3 story mech could fuck that up.

The idea that a 3 story tall mech would have thicker armour that likely would be shredded by an RPG is an anime trope?

Okay.

Idea Factory refuses to localize their games if they will censor them.

You would recommend read Front Mission: Dog Life Dog Style. It's a manga that you should be able to read online. The mechs in that are heavily armored to the point where a single RPG can't take them out. It takes a team of people who need to ambush and coordinate constantly to take them out with several RPGs. Hitting the ankles first, then the weapons, and then focusing on killing the pilot. They also show what happens if the ambush part fails.

Unrelated to your discussion but the RX-75-4 in your image was my most played mech in Gundam vs Zeta Gundam. It's such a cool ass mech and it's pretty much a mortar tank too so it's the best of both worlds.

Appearently Gundam vs Zeta Gundam is actually one of the worse Gundam games, what are the good ones?

Zeonic Front is pretty good.

Battle Operation will always hold a place in my heart.

If a mech is three stories tall, that's a lot of surface area to cover in armor, which would add a ton more weight on top of how heavy it already is just from being so large. And, if we had the capability to make armor that tough, we would be using it on tanks and everything else that uses armor before we ever put it on a mech. A mech that large would have thinner armor than a traditional tank, not more. Not to mention, a machine with a lot of moving parts like a mech isn't going to be able to cover every single inch of itself in armor, leading to several weak points that can be taken advantage of. Plus, you're assuming our weapon tech won't advance along with our armor tech.

No one would ever make a 3 story tall ground vehicle if it was that vulnerable to infantry weapon. It would need to be heavily armour due to all the fire it would naturally attract, which means in order for it to exist the machine would need to be able to carry that much weight.

No one would build that. Never. For a mech to exist at such a size it would require increase thickness to survive. And it would be thickness, if the armour on mechs and tanks are going to be the same.

Which is why it would be support by infantry of it's own, which could easily take steps to assist any enemy infantry.

I assume that, given the tempting target, mech armour evolution would be at the forefront of progress. Weapons would well advance, but for a mech to remain viable its armour would advance further.

You basically just listed a bunch of reasons why we'd never use mechs instead of tanks, you realize?

throughout history armor was never been more advanced then weaponry. We look for better ways to kill each other from farther away then armor has to play catch up.

If mech truly has a place on the battlefield it will have to bridge the gap between infantry and tank or replace helicopters.

Yea, power armour is the only really feasible thing. Maybe some kind of smaller, cheaper mech like VOTOMS that are more like upscaled infantry than the regular giant ass mechs.

But what about regular giant ass mech power armor

Yep, But we're talking if mechs were to be used in real life, and in order for that to happen they'd need to be the mary sue's of the battlefield in order to survive more than a second.

I get the feeling that would constitute power armour more than a mech.

You do realise, that if you have a larger unit, with heavier armour, it will need a lot more power to work, and be a lot more expensive?
And if you can make such brilliant armour, why the flying fuck would you put it on a fucking useless mech when you could make completely OP tanks instead?

Do you not understand the conversation? It's not "what would mechs be like if we actually used them," it's "why would we ever use mechs in the first place". This isn't an argument about how to make mechs effective, it's about why they just don't work outside of some specialized cases.

They'd have to saty at home until we get into science fantasy territory, I'm afraid.

And that's where 40k is actually kind of realistic. The Knight STCs were originally developed as giant workers and herders for megafauna livestock, and then someone figured they could slap a shield projector on them and put them in combat.

Like F-35 working only in marketing metarial?

Sad but true. It will either have to be extremely mobile and precise like a helicopter or jet. Something to go in, take out a target, and out of combat very quickly.

OR

Power armor.

Tanks have a lot of armor but the only thing they can really survive is small arms fire. What makes them deadly isn't their sturdiness but their ability to hit hard from far away and move fast.

with todays tech, whats the progress on exosuits?

is it possible to make something like vanquish style with a jet boost or jetpack minus the transformy bits?

if the closest we'll get to mechs is powersuits,can we do it now?

Most mecha games are too slow and clunky anyways.

A guy with a sword looks and feels better to control than a chunky fifty-foot robot with a sword.

furthermore if you attached a jet boost to a well padded/armored exosuit, would you be able to survive a crash through a wall going 60 mph?

ITT: retards who don't know shit about square cube law, power consumption and power capacitor limits, and other things that show how mecha will never be viable on Earth and how independent powered armor is at least 50 years away.

I hate how everyone calls shit like gravity and your square cube laws "laws". They aren't laws, they're definitions.

How would that be any different from what a tank does?
Or an Attack Heli with a nose mount?

Tanks are relatively tiny, and helicopters can fucking fly

mobility?

>you will never marry a giant robot
why live

Wouldn't a tank have roughly the same volume as a mech of equal weight? More in fact, since the tank needs to have room for all its crew plus space to move around inside the tank.
Besides, its not the tanks size that makes it useful to have the turret on top, its the ability to turn the turret in any direction from up there. Same with the Heli's nose turret that has a wide open field of fire in front and to the sides of the heli. For a mech, it would be the same, a turret on top would be able to use the mechs height to fire over cover, crouch to fit the height of its cover perfectly, allowing it to fight from a dug in position any time it gets to anything it can hide behind.
Weapons on the side of the robot can more easily be fired around the corner of a building without having to expose the entire machine to return fire, the way a modern tank has to. Mounting the weapons on an arm makes this even easier.
And having legs would make it much easier for a robot to move around rubble piles by destroyed buildings.
There are some advantages to having legs and arms you just can't get with a modern tracked tank.

MSGO got a TW release, doesn't need a VPN and is currently only really OYW at the momeny

Where the fuck do I get it?

msol.goone.tw/?show=1

the top fields are for the GOONE account and the bottom for the actual game account, you log into the client with the GAMES username

recommend grabbing the torrent (the one that ends with the letters BT at the end of the gookspeak)

takes a bit of time to set up, also you'll be playing your first few games against bots till you get to ensign rank

Okay, I did find the right site. Do I just click the register button? I'm not at all familiar with mmos.

Well in that case

Sexual

Also played Project Nimbus at a friends, was way more Ace Combat than I thought it would be. Is Vector Thrust worth getting?

Basically

the account and game password MUST contain a number in it IIIRC

should work

Is there an image guide to this or something? I can't figure out the second registration page, and google translate won't load it.

I did that, but it brought up a second page with blank boxes that are much less obvious about what you're supposed to put in them.

lemme try to make one sorry for the late response

part 1, trying to get some translationfor the 2nd part which asks for some location

2nd bit, their servers seem to be down ATM

but here

Thanks.

also when you get the ability to, apply to the clan"NoZaku" (spell it exactly like that, the spelling is case sensitive)

being in a guild yields benefits like a better success rate for building suits from BPs, captured suits

Loved this way back when.

you could and you should

FSS? Muh nigga.

All I want is a new singleplayer Battletech game. Is that too much to ask for?
Oh, and for Living Legends to be finished but that's never going to happen.

Couldn't a solution to this just be, having multiple legs? Like a hexapod/insect style mecha.

Or even have a system where an arm limb (or tail) that could be removed and placed into the leg mountings? Or two legs and a third "backup" leg that can be unfolded and replaces the damaged leg.

In terms of tread effectivness, wouldn't having legs with treads (or even wheels) be a effective mobility system? Drive on rough terrain with treads (while using legs to keep body level) and then for harsher elevated terrain use legs for stepping over it

Vid slightly related.

Try searching for "bomb disposal robots" instead, like the iRobot Packbot you posted most of them have interchangeable equipment including an arm with claw.

dont get your fucking leg taken out then

Or you could design it to be able to balance, even hop around and fire, on one leg.

Legs might be horribly impractical but there is no reason losing a single leg means such a mech would be completely incapacitated.

Better than Virtua On? Doubtful.

Battletech mecha piss me off, because they come so close to what I want, but denying me the last bit.

Either I get goo looking mecha with shit weapon compability, or ugly mecha but with the weapons I want.

Take for example the Julianos. Why can I have dakka gun on the arms?
Why can't the bushwaker be symetrical?

Ok, reality check:

- a mech will always have WORSE armor than a tank, simply due to the fact that it has a LOT more surface to protect and that surface is harder to protect to boot. Therefore, the sheer weight of the armor is going to be a massive issue. In order for mechs to be viable - to have even basic mobility - the armor is going to have to be comparatively light. And it doesn't matter if you come up with ultra-light super-space-titanium. A tank will still be able to carry more of it

Why would you soil a perfectly good FWL mech by slapping some crude AC on it like some filthy feddie bastard?
Also, you can just make some custom variants for the mechs if the canon's don't do it for you. The canon variants are frequently designed specifically to be less than optimized.

The game has to allow for custom variants.

Not much I can do if the types of weapons that can go into the hand slots are hard-coded

There are a feew battle tech designs that aren't even theres

Some Jap is doing a UE4 port of 4A.
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29452278
yukirinmk2.hatenablog.com/
twitter.com/yukirinmk2/status/777787241020010497

That would depend on the terrain. A wheeled car can outrun a tank on pavement, but we still use tracks on tanks. Legs are better on uneven and broken terrain, like mountains and rubble piles in ruined cities, while the platform has a series of advantages over tracked tanks we've already gone over in terrain that offers them cover, like cities.

Yes, but only when it's on something like Humble Bundle for a dollar

He even have a demo twitter.com/yukirinmk2/status/777809437973110784

Words can't express how erect I am.

Goddamn-it, I just bought 4A.

Don't get wood over robot user

What are you, gay?

It's a fan-made project. Who knows if it'll ever be finished, plus 4A is good enough that it deserve to be bought.

Game looks like someone tied a model kit to a string and is waving it around a lego city.

Why the model swap with a jet?

Also, incoming bogeys.

Fuck yeah, an all time favorite.

So are we gonna try this out together or what

The Japs don't know anything about computers, mate.
They think computers are for work and porn.

I just want a mech sim with closed cockpits instead of transparent ones. I like the feeling of being locked inside an armored behemoth, and third person mech games lack that.

Steel Battalion has that.

And nobody had done anything similar since then as far as I know. Plus you need an Xbox and a huge controller for that (should have been a pc game)

Here's a bump and some /scurv/ for Assault Suit Leynos(the remake) and Ultimate Knight Windom, respectively.

5226d067aab33282cb0286b74016c0990e6071b6

gloverzz.net/2013/01/ultimate-knight-windom-xp.html

What is your favorite mech of all time? If he counts, Mega Man X, if not then it's the Guntank from Gundam.

Mechs have to be piloted. X is a robot. And what the fuck did you do to that first link, you bastard. It didn't deserve getting cut up like that.

It's not a link user, it's an info hash
Add a new torrent in your client, paste that hash and it'll work.
Also in case I'm misunderstanding you I'm sorry for treating you like an idiot

Don't be. I thought you accidentally posted just the end of some download link.

The exe for that second link looks extremely sketchy

Is there an info guide or something to this game somewhere? I understand the basic gameplay, but I'm having trouble figuring out the menu and other things.

How will I know when I can do that and how do I do that?

Tell me why you like Mecha. Even a lone tank or shitty plane can take them down. They're completely inefficient and are absolutely riddled with points of failure.

If realism was a factor in whether we liked mecha or not, there'd be a shit ton of video games that nobody liked.

I worded that weirdly. I mean that if we valued realism so much, we wouldn't like a ton of fictional stuff we do.

Tell me why you like Tanks. Even a lone infantryman with a bazzoka or shitty plane can take them down. They're completely inefficient and are absolutely riddled with points of failure.

That's a bit of a flawed rebuttal.

I don't like tanks and still they can wreck mecha shitboxes.

But then the thrusters malfunction and it face plants.
fire
It has it's face planted in the dirt from the previous malfunction. Tank destroys it. Pilot comes out of the mech cockpit on fire and screaming in agony.
Like I said it already fell.
See previous
No the mech is scrap and the pilot is dying painfully.
Why fire at it again when it's already destroyed?

Kid, shouldn't you be in school right now? Do your parents know you come to sites like this?

Mech pilot is now a screaming skeleton. Entire family in bereavement.

You could have saved a lot of effort and just said
*tank unsheathes katana*
*teleports behind you*
"nothing personel"

You should learn to check ids.

The mech didn't fly so good.

If the mech can have thrusters for jumping and flight, so can the tank. Tanks can use cover, and if the mech is able to fire at the tank, then at least part of it is exposed. Any weapon you can put on a mech you can also put on a tank.

If you're putting arms that can fire around cover on a tank, then you basically just have a mech on tank treads

every time, you people are like leftists

those are just blockier Telgeese

Nobody that makes this argument actually thinks it through all the way.
If a bipedal mech is being fielded for combat it's going to have to be able to dish out and take AT LEAST as much abuse as the conventional mechanized units it's being fielded with. The joints will be sufficiently protected from direct fire that would cause catastrophic damage. Nobody in their right mind would approve of putting them in frontline combat otherwise.
I could continue, but then you go and say stupid shit like this.

We already have flying tanks. Pic related.

The problem is if the tech is available to make mechs that viable, it would be more useful on something like a tank, unless through some outright miracle humanity somehow finds a way to manufacture mechs cheaper than tanks or any other armored vehicle.

Yeah but that's impossible by design.

you mean thoses tank ?

that s completly wrong.
and history proves it:
they stopd doing superclass tanks after WW1 or 2 because it wasn t worth it.

so we will never see baneblades nor armored core's tanks.

Welcome to Mecha, enjoy your stay.

That assumes they will both be intended to do the same job in the same environment.
If you aren't in a big open desert, the tanks small profile becomes less of an issue as cover becomes available.
In marshy or boggy terrain riddled with rivers, tanks become useless as they can't go anywhere there isn't a road and many bridges won't support their weight. A bipedal mech with feet designed for swampy terrain can wade through those rivers without problem.
In hills mechs can find lots of cover they can shoot around, in mountains tanks have extremely limited mobility while the robots can use their legs to get around.
In forests cover becomes more important than the size of your profile. A robots arm mounted weapons allow it to engage targets from behind cover while exposing less of itself in the process, and unlike a tank, a mech exposing its arm isn't risking the entire machine, unlike a tank exposing its turret. To put it bluntly, an armor penetrating hit on a robots arm will most likely kill the weapon and anything else on the arm but leave the rest of the machine intact, a tank taking an armor penetrating hit to the turret is a useless pile of scrap and a dead crew.
And a city is just one big pile of cover for a mech, while a tank needs to expose the entire machine every time they want to hit a target around a corner.

The idea of a head on, one on one fight is nice, but consider the terrain. The mech can get a variety of advantages if the terrain isn't wide open.
And against the main tank killers of a modern battlefield, airstrikes and concealed infantry with antitank weapons, a tank isn't markedly less vulnerable than a mech.

Good god this is SHIT. If you want air-mech gameplay, play battle engine aquila. Way better than that bullshit.

Oh shit niggers, let's play!

I'm keen. Be about 10 minutes before it has finished downloading though.

Shit did you get a game? Did I miss it?

Any of you fags get it to work and up for playing?

Sounds like a world where mecha be appear in warfare is one where the major planetary biome would be thick, boggy forests* with lots of ground obstacles (that could be stepped over). And that's not even counting how infanty warfare would fight or what (hazardous) animals would also dwell in that environment, otherwise you might get a Battle of Ramree Island disaster going on in there.

* A swampy, more ground obstacle ridden version of the forest moon of Endor from Star Wars would serve as a good visual to what I'm thinking of

While on Earth the open plains of ground viable for trench warfare happened instead and required the invention of tanks to counter it.

Earth isn't all flat plains and deserts.
If you go to war in Iraq, tanks make sense since there's almost nothing but wide open deserts, but in the jungles of Vietnam or mountains of Afganistan those legs could have come in handy. And then there's all the urban fighting during WWII, another environment where the robots would likely out preform tanks.

Its not that earth wars where fought on plains so much as tracks and wheels being simpler and easier technology to develop, that led to tanks.
But with modern armies growing increasingly into small professional elite units using expensive hightech equipment, rather than the millions of conscripts armed with cheap mass produced weapons of WWII, I suspect its only a matter of time before we see those giant robots either as scaled up drones of urban combat or as a analogue for tanks for rough terrain fielded despite being far more expensive than tanks, for the same reason we have F-35's that cost over 100 million each replacing F-16's that cost only a fraction of the same.

Couldn't even get it to work on my computer. Guess my shitbox isn't good enough to run it.

What is this sorcery that allows you to post a gif as a jpg?

I just felt my IQ dropping by at least 30 points after watching that.

Problem is, most Western people literally have no idea what mechas are. They don't understand the concept of giant robots and never look at anime or even western cartoons for ideas, and so when designing them they end up re-inventing the wheel extremely poorly. They don't know how to make them in any aesthetic other than Star Wars/Alien style used-industrial, and even then it's clunky. Pacific Rim was close but that deliberately distanced itself from anime, and audiences were confused by it.

See the visual design for Transformers and the new Power Rangers movie; they have no idea what a giant walking machine could look like, and so just throw shit at a wall and use what sticks first.

That's silly. It can't drop into the negatives.

GUYS!

GUYS! LISTEN!

I got the best idea ever!

What if…

GUYS! SERIOUSLY!

What if we remove the legs and add ROTOR on top of mech!!

FLYING MECH BITCHES!

With ability to "climb" any mountain or terrain, vertical take-off, hover and 300 mph flight speed instead of walking!!!

THINK OF POSSIBILITIES!!!

Wouldn't that technology be better served being added to tanks?

Can tanks PUNCH AIRPLANES IN THE FACE?
I think not.

Nice try, Schlomo. But cutting corners in mech production won't yield a cheaper army since you'll just be paying more in the long run.
Just make a transforming helicopter. Problem solved.

you don't understand helicopters. they're relatively unarmored and don't ever operate in contested airspace. the current heavy use of helicopters hinges on fighting places that lack good AAA.
and 300mph? the "do not exceed" speed for a Viper is 255 mph, 227 for an Apache. if you go past DNE you stall and die.

You are living proof that it can.

No, no.
You take a propeller from a helicopter and put it on a battleship. Then you put tans tracks and a turret on the helicopter. Then you put arms and legs on ship, and add a flight deck so it can launch heli-tanks. You also put wheels on torpedos so you can launch land topedos.

I wonder why everyone is so concerned about mechs in an atmosphere when the clear factor for consideration is if Mechs may be useful in space.

And what are arms and legs good for in a 0g, hard vacuum environment with no terrain worth mentioning?

Thruster mounts and non combat usage

Ask the people who send out astronauts instead of robot cubes. I'll grant you legs have limited use there, but arms and hands are always useful if only for their capability to grab different tools.

So, a spaceship with a crane?

You don't need articulated arms and legs for that. Case in point, Starfuries from B5.

weaponized canada arms best idea ever

Yeah, that works. Those joints look rather weak though.

In the case of Titanfall it failed for a variety of reasons but the Titans themselves were just killstreaks that acted like bigger soldiers that couldn't do the parkour gimmick (I didn't expect anything less from the people who made nothing but Call of Duty till this point). They weren't machines designed to replace a role that Tanks and AFVs took and that made it unbelievable. Westerners being too stupid to understand giant robots with powerful guns was the least of it's problems.

They were confused because normalfags obsessed about retarded shit that didn't matter (and they call us nitpicky and overanalytical). Take the 7 Dollars Beaner for example. For everytime he and his buddies talked about a genuine plothole like the sword arm they bring up 5 other bits of stupid shit like his friend thinking the Japanese speaking girl was from China. I notice that's a trend for any movie that deviates too far from the typical Hollywood schlock where people dig up extremely weak excuses to not like those movies because they just want over the top explosions and bloodless violence engulfing normal real life cities.

They did that in Victory Gundam where the suits used the energy shields on their arms to use as rotor blades. I'm not making that shit up. They also had suits that transformed into helicopters gundam.wikia.com/wiki/ZM-S08G_Zolo

No, the problem is that western robos don't conform to the standard set by Gundam SEED for how 15 story machines should dart around the air with 90 degree angle turns while going march 2, constantly fly and fence with lightsabers for no fucking reason.
You know, the way most anime giant robots have been to some degree for the last ten years.
Nothing moves like that. A 500 ton machine trying to pull a hairpin turn while moving at jet fighter speeds would need thrusters with an output close to a small nuclear blast in terms of energy, or its not changing direction like that, let alone hovering.
This kind of shit is endemic to Japanese giant robots by now, even if it didn't use to be, and thus a lot of mecha fans find any giant robots who can't do that boring and limited, regardless of how idiotic it looks.
Its like WWII tactics and ranges of under a kilometer or two for space battles in holywood movies.
Personally I think its sad that the harder sci fi giant robots like PatLabor, Gasaraki Yes yes I know, but at least they move more like real machines than anything the gundam franchise has ever crapped out, even if they are some kind of demonic samurai armor being dressed up as a robot or Flag.
And just look at all the retards here, bitching about "westerners can't do mecha" just because western robots don't look like the same "giant dude in samurai armor" shit designs Gundam uses EVERY FUCKING SERIES.

sperg harder

That was also late UC, so shit like beam shields became a thing as mobile suits were made more compact as was the Minovsky reactor and by that time MS tech had become common place on the battlefield, phasing out shit like tanks and jets though they were still used just not heavily relied on

Both good shows, but also both old shows. Modern mecha shows just aren't this good or put this much effort into their mecha designs any more.

Well there was also Heavy Object which came out about a year ago where the mecha are basically giant, plodding, spherical nuclear power plants sitting on massive tank treads and covered in guns.

At some point, rule of cool has to take over
This entire fucking thread has been an argument about how unrealistic any kind of mechs are in the first place
People think western mechs suck because they lack style, and the fantastical parts of the design in many cases only go as far as slapping legs or arms on a tank and calling it a day
Good mechs don't have to be giant metal ninjas, but there's no need to swing too far in the opposite direction either

As a great example that I keep coming back to, see Megabot vs. Kuratas
The american Megabot looks like some part time hobbyists with a sexual attraction to construction equipment made it out of junk on a zero dollar budget, the practically cosmetic mobile "arms" are shit, the cockpit made out of thin metal grates is shit, and it even has an incredibly generic shit name
While the japanese Kuratas is an actual fucking mech

Thats theory. Until we have an actual working BIPEDAL or LEGGED walker that is COMBAT viable we cant know.

Modern mecha is mostly non-existant or set in the far future where tech far exceeds our own

also Macross has mecha, the titular mecha is a jet that can go to a "battaroid" form and a gerwalk mode which is a mix between the jet and battaroid

But we established the majority of westerners don't watch anime that isn't entry shit like Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan, or Sword Art Online so they won't have expectations based on Gundam SEED or any other recent mecha anime. Japan makes plenty of robot shows all over the Realism vs Superpowered spectrum. The West however makes so few anything that feature giant robots and the majority of those are basically tanks with legs (and the ones that take on humanoid forms tend to heavily reference anime anyway). The same people who don't watch mecha anime don't consume any media featuring western robots so anything where robots are the focus and not just a minor sideshow aren't going to appeal to them.

And covers that most western robots have the same shit art style where they look like construction equipment instead of military machines

speaking of the west ripping off the east, niggress iron womyn's PA aside from being a crock of shit is literally the Ingram from Patlabor

Please be joking. I know Marvel is utter shit but to be so shit as to rip off a known and rather iconic design is too shitty even for them.

nope, go look for yourself, on top of that she can control this supposedly better than iron man's power armor without an advanced AI

speaking of Ironman

Behold the totally not GP-03 Dendrobium Orchis

Wow. They really didn't change much.

this was only defeated by the fact that it ran so poorly but it did get a spiritual sequel for it's controls. Remote control dandy sf.

I personally doubt us humans we have giant sized bipedal mechs anytime soon. I think closest we will probably get will be a 4 legged drone based off a Boston Dynamics legged robot with a weapon on it's back like the Foster-Miller TALON robots use. Making it unintentionally Zoid like

Unless BD wants to up the size and add a handlebars/control system to one of those robots and allow a human rider to use it like a 4 legged motorcycle/quad bike.

There not just armed, they are . . . Canadarmed and dangerous.

With current tech and our understanding of physics this is true, but from conspiracy files there have been many stories of UFO's (either truly alien and/or reverse engineered US military tech) doing impossible maneuvers at high speed and the possible theory of a "gravity repelling" drive that allows them to travel quickly through the air (and water) while allowing for the crew to not feel the effects of the severe G-forces.

* doubt us humans WILL have

Hawken looked real promising in the early trailers. Whatever happened to it that made it fail?

Kuritas guy also constructed a life size Brutish Dog (scopedog) sculpture. Kuritas is a cross between a VOTOM and a Fugikoma/Tachikoma - both very Real Robot.
the new Megabot looks better than that version. and the new Kuritas hasn't been revealed, hyped to see what it ends up as.

Tried to be Call of Duty with mechs?

There is no new megabot yet, just their dreams
And if their dreams are anything to go by, then I GUESS it's technically better

I had no idea they were even working on a new kuratas, but I'm 100% sure it will look better than megabutt

yes there is, the in-progress one is much bigger. purpose built treads, torso twist ring, bonus old flyingdebris concept.
it's going to look sick with a tank style motorized turret ring instead of those dumpy hydraulics.

"going to" is very different from "does"
The thing is still coming in piecemeal and isn't nearly ready to be put together, though the first episode of their documentary thing is apparently coming out next week so hopefully they're getting a lot closer

mecha games are dead as fuck as a genre, that said from soft just recently mentioned a new armored core is in the works.

Got you covered bros.

Who is up for playing?

If I knew even how to join then yes I would.