What was the point of no return for Modern Bioware where the corruption became irreversible? Most say either ME2 or DA2...

What was the point of no return for Modern Bioware where the corruption became irreversible? Most say either ME2 or DA2, but I've heard some say it started as far back as Jade Empire.

It was when they were acquired by EA.

BioWare was never that great. They made ONE good franchise that is incredibly overrated, Baldur's Gate.

I feel like she's the kind of person who would give herself a rectal enema with spaghettios

Probably after the first ME. That's when a lot of their old employees started leaving.
I guarantee you there are people working at Bioware who don't even know what Shattered Steel is.

I think there probably used to be a lot of talented people at Bioware, but at some point all of them left. You can look back at all of their games and see what is essentially the same recycled plot being used over and over and over again. To me this sort of implies that some good people helped write some good games, then started leaving, and the hacks they left behind just tried to copy their successes indefinitely.

Right around when DAO just came out, and they weren't advertising the way it should've been. Instead of "going back to our roots" it's "BLOOD GORE AND SEX". Which is fine but it's obvious who they were trying to appeal too.

It is though.

Sage for shitlord feminist thread.

Like most things, 2007 marked the irreparable decline.

Lol, they never did anything good

They've always been kind of shit, haven't they?

After Far Cry 2 they fired anyone that tried to make a good game

Imagine the feeling when pushing them out

Bioware never made anything good. Brand shills went "muh baldurs gate" or "but its star wars!" when all their games were bad. You just grew up and left your echo chambers.

omg so random XDD nice post fellow redditor

Bioware was never good, they always made shit game for teenagerhogs.

Nice!

u hav to go bak
>>>/4chan/

I like it here.
I think I'll stay.
Forever.

They were never good.

He's only doing to because he gets reactions from retards like you. Stop engaging him, filter his comments instead, and he'll slink off.

It started the moment they tried to make a story-focused RPG with shit tier 3rd grade writing. The earliest example I've seen of this was Baldur's Gate 1 so I think we can safely say that Bioware was always shit.

No it wasn't you retard, the plot was completely generic, the villian was completely generic, the secondary main character (Bastila) was completely generic. The only two parts that weren't atrocious was the trial on Manaan and of course the Revan part. ~30 minutes of decent writing do not save a 40 hour RPG, and the shitty gameplay and focus on cutscenes/voice acting didn't do it any favors either.

Hover your mouse-cursor over the flag he used for a second.

So we're in agreement that Shattered Steel was good, then.

Never played that, I've only played BG1, KotOR 1, ME1-3, DA:O, DA2, and small amounts of cisquisition

I don't really know, actually

I did kind of like DAO with a combat rebalance mod. Obviously the writing was still complete garbage but the gameplay was reasonably entertaining for once.

After the first Dragon Age game

I personally think it was after Black Ilse went their own way. Bioware never did anything 'great' but it was serviceable. You got one of their games and you'd know it did X plot with Y characters, but the gameplay and story were enjoyable enough. Now, it's still the same except for the gameplay being serviceable and overshadowed by the progwash. I pay money to have fun, not get lectured.

This

We all knew they were done

It wasn't even that serviceable.

Jade Empire and KOTOR were consolized trash with godawful gameplay and shitty writing. Jade Empire was completely bland, doing nothing unique or interesting with what is basically BioWare's most unique setting to date, and KOTOR was just one long line of fanservice and pandering, with the usual BioWare story bolted on top.

Dragon Age was supposed to be a throwback to their BG glory days, but it just ended up being another bland piece of shit with "mature" smeared all over it. Mass Effect was a corridor shooter.

The rest is just shit.

One thing I will always feel sad about and that I know Phil Spencer himself pretty much regrets was letting Bioware get bought by EA.

Anytime someone asks him about Bioware or something related to the first Mass Effect in an interview you can always see the remorse in his expressions and tone of voice.

I always imagine how different Bioware would have been if they stayed with Microsoft as a 2nd party instead of being gobbled up by EA.

Wasnt morrigan also modeled after a tranny?

Her models after Da:O were dogshit so maybe.

Yes, because Microsoft is great and all the studios they bought went on to make amazing games!

Lol

webm related

Why are you here?

I did right trusting my dick…

It's been over since video games decided to force their air intellectuality and message on players instead of letting them come to conclusions themselves.

Could you at least not post this chunk of stink's "face" outside the GG thread?

The only overrated thing is your brain.
you have none.

Go thru their game catalog.
First and second ME were mediocre.
DAO was a dull game with terrible "mature" writing.
Neverwinter Nights was completely awful.
Star Wars is stupid so I didn't even play.
They colaborated with a good studio for Baldur's Gate.

Bioware was never good.

The longer I stay on Holla Forums, the more I'm convinced it hates the RPG genre.

When Baldur's Gate came out, no one declared it a literary masterpiece. It was the usual western D&D game, notable for its sparse quests on an open map. Reviews celebrated its freedom, over the fixed narrative of jrpgs.

It was still the best at what it did. No use rewriting history because of Bioware's failures afterwards. The "everything is shit" meme is psychological, you're really just on the "deny" stage of grief.

If only Bioware had never been good, then we would suffer less at seeing how bad vidya is now. Tragically, it wasn't. The pain is real and it happens right now.

Holla Forums just hates games

This.

I actually used to visit the forums, and I can say that the tone of that place did a big change between the announcement of them getting acquired by EA and release of ME2.

It hates to see them suffer.

Nice numbers

In terms of how their games played it was certainly ME2/DA2
But Bioware has always had shit writing and characters, they more or less just shuffle characters between games and change their names and are incapable of having interesting plots

Other than BG all their games are basically "AN ANCIENT EVIL HAS AWOKEN" and the MC being the chosen one that must stop it.

(checked)

ironic shitpost done right
good quads

Nail head

oh shit, I made that

MDK 2 was really enjoyable.)

you didnt even like the expansions? if you didnt an hero now

Man, imagine the amount of bitching and infighting this new Ubisoft must have. No wonder their games are just recycled garbage now. You can't brainstorm and develop new ideas in such kind of environment since everyone is holding stupid grudges and passive aggressiveness against each other, and I speak of experience since I work on an office where most of my coworkers are women.

Baldur's Gate did a worse job than the actual game of D&D at being an RPG, just like every RPG in its style. The only decent RPGs are ARPGs because they do what tabletop can't do better.

I left within a year, it was absurd how long it took to get shit done and important paperwork would get "lost" when I wouldn't go out to after work drinks with the popular clique

..Wait, they make your job shit just because you don't go out to drink with the popular crowd? What is this, bloody high school?

The world is filled with people who physically left high school, but are still there mentally

MDK2
meh but not garbage.
BG 1 & 2
I really enjoy these games
Neverwinter Nights
I really enjoy this game

And that's about it.

This nigger knows what's up. All the praise for their frankly average writing skills in BG led to them thinking they could do no wrong. It'd been going downhill since then yet journalists still claim they're the masters of RPG writing.

Guess they were right when they say high school is like Vietnam…I don't know what idiot that said that.

Bioware had a strong hand in dumbing down the RPG genre as we know it today, where character customization means choosing between 30000 hairstyles instead of, you know, making builds.

Baldur's Gate 1 represents like one third of he entire DnD ruleset, that is a fact. 1 and 2 had other stuff going for them, like encounters and a sense of adventure. Neverwinter Nights had better implemented rules, but you are probably underage if you think this was supposed to be a game. In fact, it's probably the earliest example of a multiplayer focused game with a cheap excuse for a campaign attached to it. NWN was always meant to be a toolset for people to do their own materials and to play online with friends. I know BG2 promised continuity in NWN1 but by the time IWD was out the focus had changed. I even have some magazines at the time where even early builds showed this was going to be different than what was promised first.

On the other hand, KOTOR made them so much money they felt they could be a little lazy, it was bringing enough money for them to relax and survive a few years without releasing anything new. This is why Dragon Age 1 took them like 5 years to complete, changing entirely in the process (the first version was closer to Neverwinter Nights than what we ended up having). In the meantime, the "console" division, which made Mass Effect, could develop games fast enough so their "PC" division, in charge of Dragon Age, could work a little slower. Out of all the companies EA has bought, Bioware is the one that has suffered the least amound of meddling and damage. It's soon going to be 10 years since they bought them. And they don't really need them, considering they use The Sims as their LGBT, female friendly franchise.

Hate is not the opposite of love user.

Personally i would say after Mass Effect 2. Then it was all about gay sex, ham-fisted action and cheesy dialogue with no real choices.

While nuBioware made shit design choices and writing, the turning point that marked what they'd become was Inquisition. Never before was there such a pozzed load of bullshit, tumblr propaganda, fanfic-tier writing, endless grinding, and overused assets. Most of it was mainly this faggot's fault.

This.

This man is responsible for all Bioware games having the exact same plot at their core prior to his departure.

He is the man that brought us Carth, what a shitty character.

Bioware was always shit
Prove me wrong

Story time

No. Even Dragon Age 2 had the fat chick writer on Dragon Age 2 wanting to be able to skip gameplay to get to story sections in game, as well as the shit cringy fenris elf. And im pretty sure Mass Effect 2 came out a bit earlier, which was decent gameplay wise but shittier story wise compared to 1. Bioware was already turning to shit, its just Inquisition was their apex point of SJW shittery, whereas Dragon Age 2 was their laziest game made in recent memory at least.

If Microsoft had Bioware the best possible outcome would have been if MS just closed down the studio like they did to Ensemble.

More likely Bioware games would have all gone Xcucks exclusive and become self-parodies as with the Halo and Gears franchises.

so basically the same thing that happened under EA but without ps4/pc ports

Seems developers always do best when theyre independent and contracted for a job. Once theyre bought it always goes to shit.

dragon age 2

origins wasn't bad, but da2 was really where it stopped being about the games and started being about the minorities ("we don't need to make good games anymore look how inclusive we are :^)")

Baldur's Gate was good in the past because the people who owned D&D at the time gave two fucks about their property, and put Bioware on a short leash. That's not the case anymore.

In terms of only writing… any story that features interchangeable males and females and then starts building a world around that has already crossed a line.

Inquisition is just the fuller realization of that ideology.

this.

And here comes the retards with retarded exaggerations.

/thread

If we've learned anything from the Simpsons and Spongebob, it's that a show needs to fucking end when the original creative team leaves.

You kind of have a ship of theseus problem there though.

While it's true that Bioware was always grossly overrated, I mean let's be honest, you can like KOTOR and Baldur's Gate all you want but there's no denying that all their stories are cliche as fuck, and their characters bland and formulaic as white bread.

But their RPGs were always passable, playable, perfectly fine, with the occasional glimmer of something above average here and there. I don't think Bioware got genuinely terrible until Dragon Age 2 rolled around, that signaled the swift downward spiral into progressive shitflinging and virtue signaling that ruined the plots, and the amateur design that ruined the gameplay.

I'm pretty sure once ME4 flops they'll be gutted even further than they already are, not like any of the old talent actually works there anymore. Even fucking Gayder left. All of their staff is right out of school, having been gifted the position by saying the right things to the cucks in charge.

So yeah, right around when EA started jerking them around. Personally, my favorite game of their was Jade Empire, if only because ancient Asiatic cultures are severely underused in terms of vidya.

Try ME1.

the game would have been fucking fantastic if it wasn't so god damned shallow. That's why people were hyped for ME2, when that turned out to be shit the fanbase was too populated with normalfags who were so entranced by 1 that they genuinely thought it was a good game instead of a good concept.

But yeah, it was about when EA started meddling that they went to shit.

I feel like ME1 was significantly less shallow than the games that came after, it was solid enough as an RPG to be worth playing on the cheap, like most of their other games. I also like how it was essentially a Star Trek game, it felt like one too, from the music to the presentation.

You could also play a huge racist, ME2 and 3 took away all of the questionable personality traits you could subscribe to Shepard in ME1. It sits firmly in that 'decent enough' category most of their games do.

ME1 was nothing but Shallow. The only thing I can think of that wasn't totally shallow was the story options, but even that was totally invalidated by the later games.

I don't think it was that shallow, I mean, my soldier played pretty differently from my Adept and so on. There was some tinkering to be done there with your character and the way you progressed them. It's not that braindead.

I dunno the only Bioware game I liked was KOTOR1 only because it was pretty much my first western RPG. KOTOR2 put it to shame and it wasn't even a finished game. Then I played ME1 and thought it was okay but was pretty pissed off since it was the exact same fucking game as KOTOR1. I started ME2 but just quit immediately when I realized they just removed anything people complained about in the first game instead of trying to make a better game. It also didn't seem like much of an RPG. In my eyes Bioware was never really any good and I think the only reason people liked them was because they were their first.

I work mostly with older women 40+ and they're all incredibly nice to me. Even ones I fucking absolutely abhor because they're incredibly annoying are perfectly civil with me. They constantly bitch and moan about other people they work with (probably also about me behind my back) however they've never been mean directly to me. I go in do my job and leave I socialize with nobody at or outside of work either.

Since it hasn't been brought up some of you might not about the first game fucked by the EA buyout. (And also partial legal fuckery from Ken Penders).

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

Yes, that NDS Sonic RPG, if the rumors about it are true, the game was released in it's late beta state because they had fulfilled their contract with Sega and so they could put more work into Dragon Age.

Shitty features of the game include, removed soundtrack and replaced with MIDI versions of fan remixes, crappy sound effects, no sidequests, after battle tips recommending you to go to Bioware's website to learn more tips and having the characters at the end of the game break the fourth wall and discuss about the game creators for a credit sequence

Did you know the guys from Bioware are also trained doctors, Knuckles?
Wow Sonic! Former Doctors and now, game developers! They must be really smart!