Are God Games a dead genre?

Are God Games a dead genre?
Are there any good ones released recently or release soon?

Godus seemed to have killed all interest

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!FocniAhI!51CqKfHqWV3PBdmxTtjlNjFx4-RvHCmg4sYV6zw_uwo
dualshockers.com/2016/09/16/harvest-moon-creators-ps4pc-game-birthdays-the-beginning-gets-first-english-trailer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

want a better god game?

it's called

>>>/agdg/*

All genres are dead except for "press X to gameplay" cinematic experiences.

What was the best god game? I played spore and black and white and didn't really like them. They were too meme-y and cartoony. Reus was too slow and limited too.

populus was always my favourite

mega.nz/#!FocniAhI!51CqKfHqWV3PBdmxTtjlNjFx4-RvHCmg4sYV6zw_uwo

DF replaced them.

It's more fun to direct the people than have power to terrform everything at will.

it's dead jim

Damn Right

Damn Right

holy shit go back to reddit this is a christian image board

Top kek jew worshiper.

There is no god but Kek and Wojack is His prophet

I like evolution games myself.I like the concept.

Have fun taking poz loads and slamming meth for Kek.

this is actually a muslim image board.

This is a Jewish board, Iswear to g-d.

For what i know the only god game in development is Universim, it is updating but it is also progressing veeeeery slowly and from the videos looks like it could bore you easily on the long run

I just want Black and White 3. Preferably without creatures.

filename no longer relevant

How many of those actually exist, though?

God games take a massive amount of effort, talent, time and money to produce.
You don't need to invest any of those things to make a successful game these days, so people don't bother. Now all you need is marketing and preferably an existing IP and you can sell literal shit to turn a profit.

Absolute bullshit god games are just terrain, magic powers and some people mashed together look at sim city or rollecoster series. God series and many others are dead because of marxist defeatist propaganda that destabilized normal population. Only brainwashed libtards still have power to continue in this mess of a world because they think everythink is okay. Normal people started to give a fuck about development this is why games are so shit nowdays.

Aye?

(You)

I'd love for a modern, complex remake of Sim Earth

Terrain deformation that affects gameplay is considerably hard to do, especially if you want liquids of any kind.
You could just have a terrain mesh being deformed to make mountains. But if your critters don't recognize them as mountains, what's the point?

"Magic Powers" are an headache to create since you gotta balance the power of a god with gameplay and keep it interesting.
If all you do is toss fireballs and thunderstorms, it's a wizard game, not a god game. Making something that clearly a miracle and not magic isn't that trivial and balancing that with the need for something like Faith Points or believers makes for a Dev nightmare. Go look at Godus and how they handle terrain deformation forcing you to click around forever so you can sculpt a small hill.

This is the actual reason god games are dead, because of faggots like you that only see "people mashed together".
In Black&White 2, every peasant had their name, age, residence and family. Perfectly inconsequential at your level considering you are eternal and they aren't but it was a neat detail to see mother's having their kids following behind everywhere and you got some special satisfaction from sacrificing kids and laughing at the parents.

Giving detail to the inhabitants of the world and especially making that detail matter and be interesting, that's where the real work comes. And it requires both code written by the Devs but also interpretation from the player.
But since you're not willing to care about any of that shit and you look at your believers like they are peasants from AoE, why would the devs care either?

What does that even mean? What does that even have to do with anything? Why are you spewing buzzwords instead of talking like a coherent human being?

And that explains the popularity of "remastered" versions that are nothing but a new shinny coat of paint?
Or the constant rehash of the same game still selling every year?

I can't wait for Schizo user to make a post for this thread

Also Populous best god vidya. Remember that one level where your tribe leader or whoever was kidnapped and you had a real life hour to figure out where he is and rescue him before he's executed? That was one of my favorite levels.

what defines a god game anyways? the ones i know are essentially just quirky strategy games.

Absolute control and vision over a large area where you establish a symbiotic (or parasitic) relationship with a lot of individuals who alone can do nothing but supported by your powers, can conquer the world.

You'll often have supernatural powers and miracles you can perform that may or may not include terraforming (but usually do).
However they are always limited by the amount of faith your people have on you and spreading your religion to increase your power is key here.
Since you need live people to inspire with faith, you'll also be playing a management game with your settlements where you have to help them thrive.

Dominions 4

If by evolution we're talking about stuff like evo, actraiser or terranigma I would like to know more as well

UNIVERSIM

Why japan can do stuff this sexy and still so fucking hillarious?

Godus may have done a number on peoples' interest or rather their trust in anything that might release, but I think the potential for a good god game rather died when Black & White 2 got rushed out the door. Tons of cut things. Creature size was halved when the wall physics system- allowing for walls to be taller and deeper, which when no balance is struck allows for easier toppling and for creatures to step overtop edge respectively- was for whatever reason axed. The drawn still cutscenes of the players' prophet interacting with the other campaign characters were totally cut, leaving us with the player god being able to tap their thoughts at will rather than sensing through their deuteragonist servant. Ships were cut. Inter-island travel & trade was cut. The game frankly might've been similar in depth to Black & White 1 at some point, but a lack of polish time led to them having to cut away features & cauterize the stumps.

The next good god game needs to be in the vein of a Black & White 3. The player should have divine servants- that is plural, one should not be limited to a single prime agent, although perhaps there may be incentive to focus on few rather than many and vice-versa- as smart if not smarter than the Black & White 1 creature, even if the game has Black & White 2 levels of psychological information fed to the player, and should be harder to train than the latter but maybe easier than the former. The servants might range from the old anthropomorphized animals to superhuman heroes to mythological monstrous humanoids like the Gorgon to outright non-humanoid monsters. These kinds of servants should be able to be drawn up from chosen from premade characters/archetypes or custom made using available the body templates and a good body morphing system and then wrought from raw clay.

The city building should follow after the relative complexity of 2 and its decent streamlining of the process, and trump it with more industries than just basic resources & happiness structures. Something like Banished, but on tremendous scale, albeit with an easing of the process due to having miraculous powers to fill certain needs and the literally divine nature of work orders. Army variety needs to be akin to Total War, with a combat & physics system like Rome rather than Black & White 2's ultraprimitive Warscape lite pairing off. The time period and tech level in which the game takes place needs to be intentionally fuzzy and uncertain, ranging from late antiquity/early medieval to some wonky alternative renaissance, with, as example, Alexandrian-Persian hybrid looking pike-and-shot formations and their mystery snake cult officers & auxiliaries clashing with massed pseudo-Turkish sipahis supported by a very angry god of war and thunder & his half-Nephilim giant children.

It very obviously needs multiplayer, a good few types of it even for both co-operative conquest as a pantheon, traditional Black & White 1 skirmish PvP, and varying levels of sandbox that may or may not have CPUs added to the mix, and a modkit as close to the SDK without the risk of players running off and developing their own engine forks & freeware game level mods trivially while still allowing more or less total freedom to rivet on models, textures, animations, entities, miracles and modifications of the existing engine physics and the like as they please, and perhaps still allowing the former level of player development to be accomplished well after the market for the base game & expansions has dried up and God willing a sequel with more shit and more optimized shit piled on top of the previous engine framework is on the way.

Most likely, this will never occur, not in our lifetime nor any following.

I don't understand what is going on.

Why would you play god games when you have whole operation system that simulates g-d actions?

one man killed the genre

ask him

I'd rather they ditch the attempt at being an RTS from a different perspective and instead fully embrace the genre and what can be done with it.
Directly controlling or caring with people as much as you did with Black&White only serves to make you a very generic God, defined only by your alignment when aligments are something kinda secondary to Gods.

Instead, the player should control an entire pantheon of 5 different deities, each bound to an aspect and capable of performing their own miracles in the world.
The different aspects you pick and their combination changes how you play the game (Mineral aspect + War aspect for warfare, Fertility aspect + Music&Arts aspect for peacefull playstyle)
Each deity would give you different powers they can use and it's by their use that they gain followers making them stronger individually and your entire pantheon a bit as well.

However, the town itself should grow on it's own based on what makes sense for them and the resources available as well as their conditions. You'd never have to tell them to build a wall, if they are at war or they have a culture of warfare, they'd build it as soon as possible on their own, according to their best knowledge.
The best you could do was have a prophet tell them what your commands are (direct orders) or to share knowledge and change their culture in some ways.
Like picking a barbarian tribe and slowly teach them arts and crafts, or a tribe of hippies and teach them how to defend themselves.

Ultimately however, they'd just be your worshippers and not bound to you. Having multiple towns worshipping your pantheon but waging war one against the other with you picking neither side should be entirely possible since the only thing that should matter to the player is their number of followers and how faithfull they are.
You could have a town refusing to have idols to any of your deities and executing any worshippers so you'd have to force your way in and slowly convert them.
Think death cults here.

As for Pets, Heroes would be the best choice. Unusual humans armed with powerfull artifacts that align with your Deities and act as champions doing their command. You'd be able to contact them in their sleep or through prophets for long messages or simple signs for simpler things to command them. They could fail and you'd need to recruit another one, they could not even agree with you philosophically but still help you for their own reasons, and you could slowly teach them your ways.

When talking about "god games", we are talking about "wizard in the sky" kinda thing.
Keep your JOOS memes to your board, that's quite offtopic here. You'd be more on topic in a Crusader Kings thread than this one.

But templeOs is a legitimate OS that lets you play god you fucking faggot
Educate yourself

That's an even deader genre.

No. That looks like shit to the point that even Civ looks better.
Why would anyone give that shit the time of day when SimEarth and SimLife are still available?

Because its a standalone operating system
How cool is that?

I think it was spore that really did them in. The whole ordeal left a horrible taste in everyone's mouth and even made Will Wright leave the industry. Godus was just a misguided attempt at resurrection.

Speaking of spore, what ever happened to those guys that kickstarted a game based on the original concept?

Is this bait?

The real nihilist is a self-worshiping, self-indulgent pseudo-intellectual faggot.

Of course it is
But there is theory that development of Christianity played a Rome in decay of RE

I think that sentence played a part in the decay of the western Roman empire.

Wait, how did it play a "Rome" in the decay of Resident Evil?

It's not. If I wanted an OS to play a videogame, I'd just get Windows and play FreeCell.
If I wanted to go full autism, I'd get Arch Linux or something similar and code lifeforms from scratch there.
If I wanted a device with an OS that only plays a single game, I'd get the PS4 and play Bloodborne instead.

And if I just wanted the Egypt thing, I'd play Pharaoh instead.

There was more to it that make Will quit, he was working on Sims 3 at the time and you can tell the quality in the game took a severe nose dive after he left. Last thing he was helping with was Ambitions, an expasion that was already underworks, but World Adventures was probably what made him start writing the letter to quit.
They made that entire expansion to playtest another game (Sims Medieval) and turned a life simulation game into a mediocre RPG instead.

Will never could say no and that royally fucked him up when working with EA. F, my good man.

Actually, it was feminism. Rome was having a serious problem with men marrying up since a lot straight out refused and some even started immigrating to nearby countries. There's stories about husbands complaining they were treated worse than slaves by their wives and proposals by the Senate for Bachelor taxes. Things like only having the backseat in the coliseum\theater and paying extra money for shit. Didn't worked, they either forked over the cash or immigrated to some other place where they could fug hot women without marrying up.

Kinda ironic when you look at the world today.

There's more than one way to approach it, certainly. I just itch for the better parts of both Black & Whites in particular, seeing as that was more or less my only god game proper. Reality inspired middle fantasy is crack to me and that additionally colors my concept of what ought to be done.

I agree that the binary alignment system is really antiquated. If you're going to go any route like this, you need a bunch of binaries that are less moral and more behavioral. Is the player arbitrary or reactive in their actions? Do they make war, or shy away from it? In either case, why? Do they intervene a great deal or act through intercessors? And that's a great deal too many binaries, hence,

This isn't a bad way at all to distinct things through specialization. Black & White 2 sort of tried to go along a line like this with the Tribute point-buy system, but there wasn't enough to buy to make for any distinct paths. Whether the aspects are polytheist or monotheist is not terribly important beside flavor.

An interesting idea, and there should be at least some degree less abstract RTS ordering versus delegating to a good AI, but you'd have to balance this very carefully. Otherwise, it might end up as a Populous clone with the player serving more as a spectator than a player, and if I'm not mistaken Populous is pretty hands-off, being focused on manipulating the environment so your little builder dudes will overrun the other CPU builder dudes.

That's actually a very interesting idea, regardless of how RTS-style abstracted or realistically telescoped player management is. In the latter, it's another interesting aspect to the players' rather indirect control. In the former, it'd be a neat aspect of a refurbished B&W Influence system, with the player potentially having partial control of a township through professing worshipers, but no direct control and no guarantee on what they might do, especially if there are multiple professing cults without direct leadership.

Also interesting. Varying degrees of tolerance and intolerance on behalf of both CPUs and player cults, with the former allowing for a token influence to curb overall conversion attempts and allow cross-conversion through syncretism, and the latter making it harder for other cults to take root in the first place or at all if your worshipers are sufficiently satisfied or terrified. Conversely, overtolerant cults that are not active enough can be overrun by more dogged converters, and especially intolerant cults can inspire conversion by the same terror they inflict on their own worshiping body.

A neat way of doing things, not dissimilar to my conception beside that your system would make them a fair bit more difficult to cement as servants. I still doggedly think that nonhuman servants need to have a niche, though.

PUREST
FORM
OF
LOVE

still mudslimes are savages and im amazed they can breed anything this beautiful, tho i guess it happens if all the males are busy fucking goats

NAHO GET OUT

you are lurking too much on Holla Forums, those must have persian origin, muslims arent a big homogeneous thing.

nice weebm my dude

Next one is coming soon.

That's not a spartan.

The entirety of the ruling class (citizens) of Greece was hellenic, a Germanic tribe.

The Spartans certainly were tall with blonde hair and blue eyes. It was a sign of divinity that someone was with those characteristics.

At least they don't depict Greeks as black.

I'll never understand why stating facts makes me Holla Forums.

Because there are people who look for any excuse to blame Holla Forums for everything.

Kikes aren't people though.

What a shame

Cool, you can pay their denbts.

Because context. Check your URL, notice that it has Holla Forums on it and discussion of races isn't the topic here.
On the other hand, Holla Forums is the board where every thread is about races and religion so might want to check there?

You're right, I should be more responsible.

dualshockers.com/2016/09/16/harvest-moon-creators-ps4pc-game-birthdays-the-beginning-gets-first-english-trailer/
That shit is made by the same guy that made the original Harvest Moon games!
And it's coming for Steam and in English!
GOD GAMES ARE SAVED

Fuck, user. You made me so happy with that post.

Why was Black and White not successful anyways? Was 2 that bad? I haven't played it but it was so damned good.
Populous too.

This looks super neat. I wonder how deep or shallow it will be.

Seriously dude I can't think of anything more pointless than being a lesbo

The first one had some problems with it's concepts.
Training your creature was a very puzzling thing since you had very little feedback on what counts, what doesn't, what stats can you change and before you knew it, he was munching on your people for no aparent reason.
Construction was kinda basic and so was the world.

B&W2 tried to polish the game a lot more but ultimately failed. It gave you a lot of more detailed info about your creature so you could custom tailor it to precisely what you wanted very easily but some people complained that the charm was gone.

For me however, it's the binary nature of alignement of your God that kinda ruins it since you have 2 ways to convert towns and why would you mix them after you made your choice?
The fact that wood and grain where renewable resources while Ore was limited also sucked. You could indeed blow all your ore on troops and after a bloody battle neither you nor your oponent had ore to raise an army, which sucked. And you needed an army to capture towns, your creature alone couldn't finish it.

I tried modding it to give every mine infinite ore but couldn't do it somehow. Keep in mind that a pacifist play through is simpler since you can spam woodhouses for impressiveness, meaning you don't have scarcity of resources as an actual problem for that kind of playstyle.

So its going to be a boring endless grind for people who are into the "LMAO LE COMFY XD" meme.

Get me a real game instead of this garbage. B&W games were massively flawed, but they had potential.

If you dont know what i mean then dont respond to my post you brainlet next time maybe read a book about some jews then come critize my post. Also yes making god game is certainly easy task to do. Easier than do some AAA game like battlefield or halo or any other graphic that run unrealengine.

Here is a man who does not understand.

No I perfectly understand that you don't want to experience any difficulty and pretty much just want to play non-games like farmville.

Sauce?

I know very well what " marxist defeatist propaganda" is, I fail to see what it has to do with a specific genre of videogames.
Sounds a lot like you either decided to dump your "opinion" because you saw the word "god" there and you think spewing buzzwords makes for a good argument.
I did not query the meaning of your words, I just don't understand why you were using something that doesn't even make sense in this context.

Confirmed for not playing\making videogames.
AAA shit is piss easy to make and the Unreal engine is aproaching Unity-tier of ease of acess. If Brianna WHO can make Rev66 in that engine, then it's bloody easy to use.

I bet you're the kind of faggot that only visits the town to buy seeds and other supplies.
If you don't understand what the games are about, don't pretend to have an informed objective opinion on them. You might as well jump into a thread about Stalker and claiming it's a shitty game about surviving the terrible engine it was coded in.

Both Harvest Moon and Rune Factory are games about fucking around and doing whatever you want. Talking with people and making friends matters a lot more, both in story and gameplay, than planting shit on your farm. You can go full autism and try to come up with perfect plans to maximize the amount of cash you can make for an exponential growth or you can just stop being a "mature games for mature gamers like me" and just enjoy going fishing every now and then and taking a walk in the forest with your waifu.

Nope

I think that's enough Holla Forumscucks for one day.

Actually scratch the other post what I actually want to say is:
Go back to your facebook games

So, it's a world creation sandbox and collect different evolutions?

I guess noone would make a Spore game like it was intended.

How much money is molyneux paying you to suck his cock? The fact you're unlikely to be bait is making me legitimately concerned that somebody actually thinks this way, castrate yourself you genetic bottomfeeder.

Get triggered, casual.

You sure were quick to reply considering I'm the one who's supposedly mad. I was just giving a suggestion that your parents more than likely have already thought up of.

Get help

Shall I resort to smug anime to keep you frothing?

Doesn't harm me. Feel free. Just please get help for yourself.

If VR becomes relevant you will see the genre revived, if not, too bad.

Can you believe there was a day when I actually hated furries?

Compared to the constant Holla Forums spam, I actually kind of miss them.

psssst… we never left