Am I the only one that feels like Castlevania was at its best back when the games were linear and they still hadn't...

Am I the only one that feels like Castlevania was at its best back when the games were linear and they still hadn't gone the full metroidvania route?

It's just so much funner like this, I'm not even sure why

Other urls found in this thread:

fanfiction.net/s/652656/1/Monster-Truckavania
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, you're absolutely not the only one, they're called "classicvanias" and the classicvania fanbase and metroidvania fanbase have been at war for as long as i can remember and hate each other's guts for the most part.

If you gotta ask "am i the only one", no, you're NEVER the only one, you're just uninformed as usual.

You are correct. Metroidvania games have fundamentally inferior design because there's less severe forms of punishment, as the point has shifted from "don't die" to "find X to do Y". Coupled with the RPG elements which always break the games by making your character way too fucking strong, and you're left with terrible game design that killed Castlevania.

Also thank god i managed to sneak my post in before the spergmasters found the thread and started the ciclejerk.

No, you're right. Metroidvanias fail as both Metroid-style and Castlevania-style games.

By terrible game design do you mean Judgement, Pachinko, LoS or MoF? :^)

Also, classicvanias are GREAT.
Metroidvanias are great too, but they got lazy.

A well-done metroidvania would be a god-tier labyrinth full of secrets to discover. CotM was great because even though you had to backtrack a lot there would be new enemies around that would fuck you up. The game itself felt as if the castle was slowly becoming alive and more powerful. It added a sense of urgency that just wasn't there in many other metroidvanias. Now CotM wasn't perfect, but as far as I'm concerned Classic vs Metroid is not a big deal. Both are good as long as they put work into it.

No, you aren't. In fact, there's a pretty noticeable, and stupid, war between people who prefer the classic games and those who prefer the metroid ones, though I'm not sure how much of it is just shitposters looking to derail potentially good discussion.

That was just Konami shitting on Castlevania's grave, after the damage had already been done by IGAvania which killed off the classic formula.

You know, my favorite Castlevania so far is the first NES game, but IGAvanias weren't bad at all.

Games like Circle of the Moon and Symphony of the night are great Castlevania games on their own, and even Dawn of Sorrow and its anime shitfest is amazing once you unlock Julius mode and it would have been even better if they had included Hammer doing Grant stuff.

Which did you like more
The three characters of Castlevania III
Or the fluid movement and backflips of Rondo/Dracula X?

I love those backflips. They saved my ass so much and made for some ultra cool stage complete freezes

You're wasting your time, he's never gonna see reason.

You know, I don't really hate Lords of Shadow. I think if it focused more on using monster hunter equipment and strategies, had a much smaller windows on perfect parries and focused all the effort on making "cinematic" parts where you do nothing but go on railroaded "platforming" where you can never fail and just oggle the admittedly nice scenary and more put into fast paced action platforming and bosses(and not the faux SoC bosses) I really think it would have been one of the best CVs, but as it stands it's mid tier.
Mirror of fate though, fuck that game. Worst metroidvania I've played.
Are any of the other 3D CVs worth playing? I always though CV64 looked interesting but I always hear it's the worse.

Not with that music.
Also, Castlevania was never good for the plot, but LoS 1 and 2 is cringeworthy at best. I couldn't take Gabriel seriously. Zobek was ok until he started recycling lines from Star Wars and got rekt by that shitty naked guy who came literally out of nowhere. And the fact that they wasted the names of all the previous Castlevania characters with cheap mini-bosses and turned Sypha into yo mama's ghost pissed me off.

Gabriel was like that emo kid who wants to be dark and edgy but is just a whiny faglord. I mean even though the voice actor is actually good listen to that shit. How this line is delivered is just… bad.

I haven't played the n64 games, so I can't weigh in on those, but the ps2 games both have their merits and downsides. Both are metroidvanias. Lament of Innocence has okay combat and some interesting bosses, but the level design has an awful fucking lot of copy/paste to it, and the camera sucks ass in a few places. The map is set up as a bunch of individual areas you teleport to from a single hub area. It's the origin story for the Belmonts, Dracula, and Vampire Killer, though, if you care about that. It's also a fairly short game.

Curse of Darkness is a fair bit different. The combat system is more basic, but it has multiple weapon types to mix things up with. The level design is a lot less copy/pasty. It also follows a more traditional metroidvania setup, with one area leading to another. It's much longer than LoI, too. There's a crafting system for both weapons and armor, the kind where you take an existing weapon/armor and upgrade it along different paths. There's also a stealing mechanic where you can steal rare items from monsters during certain frames of their animations. The big mechanic to the game, though, is Innocent Devils, which are familiars you raise and level up. What kind of weapon you use determines how your ID evolves, and a lot of secrets require a certain type or even a specific ID to find. The story is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of the series, and isn't all that great on its own. You get to see Trevor again, though, which is cool.

Both games have amazing soundtracks.

Yeah the music sucked.
Easily the biggest retard in the entire series. What I don't get is that his own wife is telling him how much of a hero he is and how he saved everyone and still he goes WOW DUDE I WAS TRICKED BY SATAN FUCK YOU GOD I'M GOING TO BE DRACULA AND FUCK EVERYTHING I JUST SAVED INCLUDING MY OWN FAMILY.
I haven't even played LoS2 because Mirror of Fate was so bad.

Fucking hell

Por qué no los dos?

Not to mention the way Gabe even beats Satan in the first LoS is him finally being at peace with him self, aka literally being 2pious4satan.
Then he beats him and picks up the mask that Zobek and Satan, two people who have constantly lied to him, coveted and told him that it would bring back life. Surprise it doesn't work and suddenly he's despairing and shit.

How is Lords of Shadow 2 anyways, gameplaywise?

I find it stupefying that Gabe is upset is wife is still dead, when he knows for a fact that she's going to heaven, you know, eternal paradise.

I find it stupefying how he didn't immediately realize the mask was a hoax after Zobek backstabbed him.

Well, Zobek was after it for its power, and Gabe had already heard it could bring back the dead before Zobek ever said it might. Zobek backstabbing him for it could very well have been confirmation to its life-bringing properties in Gabe's mind.

What gets me is that Gabe was suspicious it not to actually bring back his wife, once he finally had it, and he was still all mopey about it.

You know what also bugs me? He calls himself a monster and whatnot and all the things he's ever killed were monsters and the Lords of Shadow. The one time I can truly understand that is him being manipulated into killing the blonde girl with the knight helper but otherwise he was doing that whole "I'm a monster" deal before he even met her.

He even had a whole fucking village praising him for saving them. He even spared Baba Yaga and got that vampire loli to regain some of her humanity.

Fuck that loli's strategy game, by the way.

Bad Writing. I've read better Castlevania fanfiction. Not even kidding.

That monster truck one is amazing.

If you ever read a Castlevania thread (like the one we have in the catalog) you'll see you're not the only one

Link

fanfiction.net/s/652656/1/Monster-Truckavania

10/10 would buy novel

I especially love the name of Alucard's truck.

Circle of the Moon isn't an IGAvania.

No

Granted it was the next game in the series I could physically get, this is not what I was expecting.

Both styles are very different, both are fun in their own way.
I like going forward and whipping monsters and climbing clock towers while getting fucked by medusas.
I also like exploring a castle to 110% and getting stuff that allows me to explore the castle faster.
Why can't classicvania and metroidvania fans play nice with each other?

I think with a Classicvania, most playthroughs are done in over with in at least 2 hours if you're just gitting gud. For people that like to experiment with their runs, this is a good thing. For contentfags, it's a bad point.

Metroidvanias are fun for those looking for a "gee what's around this corner" kind of experience, but for the person used to an arcade-like experience, a lot of it will feel like 80 percent filler.

why does this always happen

Nawh nigga.

Damn Straight

this is a black thing isn't it?