Games where it is absolutely necessary to git gud or perish

Games where it is absolutely necessary to git gud or perish.

Fester's Quest for NES. Three lives, no continues, and it boots you all the way back to the beginning if you die.

I can beat the underwater bomb level, but after that, it's pretty uphill sledding.

That was some demoralizing the first few times.

If I see a single one of you faggots on my server pushing shit south I will lose my shit

Just pick brandistock.
There. You now get 1st place in every match.

I remember playing this a lot at an older friends house when i was maybe 4-6 and his mom would babysit me for the day. She'd use a game genie (or i would?) to have infinite life. I remember because falling into lava would freeze the game

The Jap version of Contra was more reasonable. It had a 3-hit life bar!

japanese are fucking autistic sadists

The funny thing is that less than 300 people ever fully beat the game. It's fair and simple to learn but the focus needed is amazing. The best thing is that even if it somehow became casual fodder that number would still probably never rise to over 500. 3 years and I still haven't got to the difficults This is a goal in my life and I intend to accomplish it

You can just walk over it.

Played it near release with a keyboard, I got to the power plant area before eventually dropping it. Did the game get new content ? Is it better with a controller ?

It did actually get new content, along with a redesigned hub world.

I would actually say the keyboards better, so long as none of your keys conflict with eachother.

absolutely. the boss patterns are all in 3-pattern sets, so that at worst, you lose 1 life per set and then you need to learn. the US version was just shit.

maybe when they fix the input lag, more people will care

If you're sad you can't get good you only had to say so. There's a big difference between lag and intended delay for not controlling the character right.

I'd say 2 frames is enough leeway for 98% of the game. Only during the portions with air control and slide momentum does it actually come in to any consideration. If you're autistic enough about it though you can certainly just not suck and jump at the right time.

You mean they designed it as crap intentionally and you're upset that people don't play it more?
I ain't mad - I just always get a chuckle when terrible games are heralded as gud. Bad games are by default hard.

It's like you didn't even read my comment. If you knew anything about the game you'd understand how it works. You never lose or fall off a cliff because of input lag. It's consistent delay only by certain variables, your metric by what's shit is based on preference you don't even understand. To add to that you don't even know if the lag is user error. I don't get delay when I dash jump.

The only actual considerable delay is when you do a standard jump press without a dash which you never do anyway unless you're shit.

You again? There is no input lag, this is provable on video, get good.

Guy did it in less than half an hour and it looks easy. You even have a health meter.

unless you're playing on a crt and not having to deal with d/xinputs god awful drivers, you can't safely say there's no meaningful input lag.

If that's the issue then it's user error, not the fault of the game

Meaningful? No not really. At least never to an extent that would matter unless under extremely specific circumstances. And it's not lag either. Dash jump has been known to delay by 2 frames based on some video of a user who compared delay with an input recorder but It's never occurred with me. I test it all the time to warm up by dash jumping off a ledge to make sure I don't double jump in mid air. I can safely say you can consistently do it right if you're good enough.

this is a speed run/reflex intensive game. Yeah, it's practically essential to have a CRT.

Considering where I am as well as the fact that I'm using a wired 360 controller I'de say it isn't. I'de rather assume it's because I'm not good enough that I'm not at the difficults rather than blame it on the controls.